» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The metric system, yes or no?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/08/05 at 11:19 am

First off, yes I know this debate ended in America back in the 1970's, but it's still an interesting question.

Should America keep it's current system of inches, feet, yards, miles, ounces, cups, pints, quarts, gallons, pounds, tons and fahrenheit.....or should we do like every other nation in the world except for three (including America) and switch to meters, kilometers, liters and whatever the hell else the metric system uses (no, I don't know the metric system.)

You've probably heard all the arguments before:

"I've used this system my whole"
"We're the only ones in the developed world not using it"
"It's not fair to make the elderly and adults re-learn"
"It's easy to learn"
"America doesn't have to march lock-step with the rest of the world"
"Some of our businesses lose money by not using the metric system"
"No they don't"

What do you think and why?  Should America keep it's current system or switch to the metric system?

Subject: Re: The metric system, yes or no?

Written By: Apricot on 07/08/05 at 11:22 am

The Metric system sucks. Kilometers suck. Liters are okay... but grams suck.

Pounds, Gallons, And Miles ALL THE WAY! HARDCORE!

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/08/05 at 12:02 pm

The American system is problematic, because for example, when you go to the UK and brag about how you lost 50 pounds, people look at you strangely.  Of course, if they ever convert to the Euro, that issue may fade in significance.  But it also doesn't make sense that we use the term 'ounce' for weight AND for liquid volume.  And, if you survey people, you will find that very few people have feet that actually measure exactly 12 inches, so this term is also misleading.  Not to mention that the whole 'cup' thing is confusing if you do any cooking at all.  A dixie cup?  The Stanley Cup?  You never know how your cake will come out.  This is causing havoc in kitchens and restaurants all across this nation! 

But it's not fair that Americans should have to be the one to scrap their system -- I think the only fair thing is to come up with a completely new system, so everybody has to change.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/08/05 at 12:17 pm

The American system is problematic, because for example, when you go to the UK and brag about how you lost 50 pounds, people look at you strangely.  Of course, if they ever convert to the Euro, that issue may fade in significance.  But it also doesn't make sense that we use the term 'ounce' for weight AND for liquid volume.  And, if you survey people, you will find that very few people have feet that actually measure exactly 12 inches, so this term is also misleading.  Not to mention that the whole 'cup' thing is confusing if you do any cooking at all.  A dixie cup?  The Stanley Cup?  You never know how your cake will come out.  This is causing havoc in kitchens and restaurants all across this nation! 

But it's not fair that Americans should have to be the one to scrap their system -- I think the only fair thing is to come up with a completely new system, so everybody has to change.

They're just terms, but I'm sure you already know that.

As for scapping our system, or other nations scrapping the metric system, it's just not going to happen.  The people, and their respective governments, would never let it happen.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/08/05 at 2:21 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with switching to metric as long as things like road signs, recipes, etc are listed both ways long enough for people to get the hang of it...

Written By: Carrie on 07/08/05 at 2:30 pm

Our local hospital and clinic, which is an affiliate of the Mayo Clinic, completely went over to the metric system. I am assuming the Mayo Clinic and all of it's affiliates have as well.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/08/05 at 2:52 pm

The metric system is incredibly easy to work out. The whole system is based on units of ten. I've never used the other system, but I know it's easier for me to convert centimetres to metres to kilometres than it is to convert inches to feet to miles.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/08/05 at 2:55 pm

They're just terms, but I'm sure you already know that.

Oh, I guess I was taking them too literally.  :-

As for scapping our system, or other nations scrapping the metric system, it's just not going to happen.  The people, and their respective governments, would never let it happen.

That's too bad, it seems like it would be the only fair way to resolve the conflicting systems...  :-\\

Our local hospital and clinic, which is an affiliate of the Mayo Clinic, completely went over to the metric system. I am assuming the Mayo Clinic and all of it's affiliates have as well.

The Mayo clinic -- didn't I read something about their AIDS prevention work?  I think they have a very impressive condiment distribution program.

Written By: Paul on 07/08/05 at 3:10 pm

As Powerslave says, the metric system is incredibly easy - but there are those of the elder generation that still find the thing confusing...

Myself, I can quite happily dabble in kilogrammes and metres and the like - but would have to look up what the equivalent of a litre is, ditto kilometres...I'm still a 'pint' and 'mile' man...

Rather curiously, various editions of the UK weights and measures act state that nearly everything is to be sold, measured and whatnot in metric measures except road distance signs (yards/miles), land registration purposes (acres) and going down the pub for a 'pint'...

The best of all was our old monetary system, where there were 240 pennies to the pound...

How the elders got their heads around this, I don't know!

Written By: Powerslave on 07/08/05 at 3:28 pm

Myself, I can quite happily dabble in kilogrammes and metres and the like - but would have to look up what the equivalent of a litre is, ditto kilometres...I'm still a 'pint' and 'mile' man...

A pint is 0.6 of a litre* and a mile is 1.6 kilometres. A pound is 0.4 kg, so giving your weight in kilograms makes you sound half as big as you are if you're used to using pounds. If you weigh 210 pounds, you only weigh 95.2 kg. I can see this as being a good thing for some of us. :)

*A US pint is 0.5 litres.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/08/05 at 4:02 pm

LOL!!

Written By: Carrie on 07/08/05 at 5:58 pm

The Mayo clinic -- didn't I read something about their AIDS prevention work?  I think they have a very impressive condiment distribution program.
I know the last part was a joke but, have you heard of the Mayo Clinic? It is pretty world famous. :-\\

Written By: Mushroom on 07/09/05 at 7:15 am

The American system is problematic, because for example, when you go to the UK and brag about how you lost 50 pounds, people look at you strangely.

I love that, "The American system".  Over here, we call it the "English Measurement", to show where it came from.  So I guess we each blame the other for the mess.  :)

I have used both measures.  Myself, I prefer our own for several reasons.  Buying a Gallon of gasoline or milk is more convient then buying liters.  And making a trip in Miles makes it seem a lot shorter then the same trip in Kilometers.

But I imagine the women prefer kilograms.  Telling people you weigh 63.5 is much easier then saying you weigh 140.  But then again, imagine telling people that your new girlfriend is a perfect "91-60-91".

In the military, we used both.  The place we use Metric more then anyplace else is distance.  Our weapons and maps are all geared that way.  So while I can normally convert those, the rest leaves me stuck for conversions.

Written By: McDonald on 07/09/05 at 1:38 pm

The official and preferred system of the US government is SI (Metric). We still have a policy of voluntary metrication in place, though no money is spent on propagating the system. All commercial products must list their weight in metric, and almost all of them will list it in Imperial weights as well. There are only a few road signs in the country which have Kilometres listed. Also US measurements are defined officially in metric units (i.e. 1 cup is officially defined as ### cubic centimetres).

I voluntarily metricated two years ago both to help the advancement of SI in the US and also to prepare myself for my move to Canada next year when I transfer to SMU. I think it's great. It's so much easier than the Imperial system. The only dificulty I ever experience with it is that other people are lacking in metric skills, which they should have learned in school. We were "familiarised" with metric units in middle school mathematics and sciences.

I think we should complete metrication here because the benefits far outweigh (no pun intended) the excuses for not doing it. It will make science and math less confusing and daunting for young students. That alone is reason enough for me. It will make the mechanic's life a helluva lot easier to work on imports and domestics. Metric allows for more precise measurement, I believe, in all facets of life. The best part is that it is NOT HARD to learn. You just start measuring metric and after a while, you become totally acclimated to it.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/09/05 at 1:56 pm

The official and preferred system of the US government is SI (Metric).

I must have missed that memo.  I thought the few democrats and republicans who supported switching gave up in the 1970's when the opposition both from the people and the congressmen (and the president) was to much to even attempt it.

Imperial

Imperial?

The best part is that it is NOT HARD to learn.

Umm....neither system is really hard to learn.

Written By: McDonald on 07/09/05 at 2:37 pm

I must have missed that memo.  I thought the few democrats and republicans who supported switching gave up in the 1970's when the opposition both from the people and the congressmen (and the president) was to much to even attempt it.

Metric is indeed the official and preferred system of the US government. That is not to say that it is the preferred system of US Congressmen and their constituencies. In the 70's there was debate over full public metrication and the metricators won and got legislation passed, but it was for a policy of "voluntary metrication" which is still in place today. In the late 80's, the governmental agency which was set up to propagate the metric system to the public was disbanded due to apathy. You can educate yourself about US Metrication at the USMA's website. Google it.

"In 1901, Congress established the National Bureau of Standards (NBS), now known as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), to support technical standards for American industry and commerce, including the maintenance of standards of weight and measurement. In 1964, NBS announced:

"Henceforth it shall be the policy of the National Bureau of Standards to use the units of the International System (SI), as adopted by the 11th General Conference of Weights and Measures, except when the use of these units would obviously impair communication or reduce the usefulness of a report."

"In 1988, Congress passed the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act, which designates "the metric system of measurement as the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce."

- http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/usmetric.html

Imperial?

Short for "British Imperial" which is but one of the terms for the system most widely used in the US and what was formerly used everywhere in the former British Empire, hence the term. Some other terms include English, and US Customary.

Umm....neither system is really hard to learn.

"Hard" is a completely subjective assesment, of course. However, most will agree that the Imperial system is much more complicated and arbitrary than Metric. The average American cannot easily convert between Imperial units without some sort of chart which lists how many X's are in a Y. 8 fluid ounces in a cup, two cups in a pint, two pints in a quart, four quarts in a gallon. Inches are divided into sixteenths, 12 inches in foot, about three feet in a yard (?!?!?!?), I don't even remember how many square feet are in an acre and even if I did, there are different kinds of acres depending on what business you're in. The whole thing is a bloody cesspool.

Meanwhile... There are 10 milimetres in a centimetre, 10Ocm. = 1 metre, 1000 metres in a kilometre. 1000 miligrams in a gram, 1000 grams in a kilogram. 1000 mililitres in a litre. Then there is the decilitre (100 ml.) which is used in cooking and is comparable to the Imperial "cup").

Temperature... Well, Fahrenheit has water boiling at 212 degrees and freezing at 32 degrees, and paper burning at 451 degrees ;) (I had to look up the boiling point... couldn't remember). While Celsius has water freezing at 0 degrees and boiling at 100 degrees... Ridiculously easy to remember, one need not even try. And the other SI thermoscale is Kelvin, which is used in science and measures from absolute zero (the coldest anything in the universe could possibly be). Changing thermoscales isn't entirely necessary, as Fahrenheit has its benefits just as Cenitgrade has its benefits. For instance, Fahrenheit allows us to say "It's 100 degrees outside" to indicate that it's very hot.... while 100 degrees Centigrade would mean certain death to most living things, and we would have to say "It's 38 degrees outside" to indicate the same temperature, which in a Fahrenheit mindset, sounds ridiculous. But it really isn't that big of a deal.

Written By: Chrisrj on 07/09/05 at 3:34 pm

It'll be too hard to get used to, but I think both kinds of people should be better accomodated.

Written By: Alchoholica on 07/09/05 at 3:46 pm

Having used both i'll say that both have disadvantages and advantages.

In the summer, i think in farenheite, in the winter i think in celcius. Measuring short distances i think in meters, long distances miles. Liquids are different, i think Imperially for Liquids.

Personally, things should be kept as they are soley for the fact that if we were to change the the metric system it would cost Millions.

Written By: Apricot on 07/09/05 at 4:36 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with switching to metric as long as things like road signs, recipes, etc are listed both ways long enough for people to get the hang of it...

That makes sense, but no one would change. They'd just say "Oh, the normal way is still on the sign, why should I bother learning the new one?"

Written By: C.NOIZE on 07/09/05 at 4:47 pm

That makes sense, but no one would change. They'd just say "Oh, the normal way is still on the sign, why should I bother learning the new one?"

But if the old way's gonna be taken off the sign after a couple months, people'll learn.  Just like people learned the new exit numbers on I-81.

That said, I wouldn't support a change.  It'd be to much hassle for the regular Joes who doesn't have to work with foreign products often.

Written By: Apricot on 07/09/05 at 7:00 pm

But if the old way's gonna be taken off the sign after a couple months, people'll learn.  Just like people learned the new exit numbers on I-81.

No, those are still on, dude.. and I still think of it as "Exit 10", not "Exit 29" or whatever number it is.. Although I do like that system, because it lets me know about how much time until I get home.. however, I don't see how the metric system could help me in such a way.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/05 at 9:32 pm

(I know it's not gonna happen in the U.S. but) we should go metric!
The only reason we don't see the old English system as silly is because we're used to it! 
A decimal system, a system based on ten, is much easier.  If America had managed to convert in the '70s, today's school kids would think of feet, miles, cups, tablespoons, pounds, and ounces in the same way we think of furlongs, coombs, and hogsheads, that is, "whaaaat?"

Who can answer this---how long is a rod?  (Let's be mature now!)
::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/09/05 at 9:38 pm

I got a speeding ticket in Canada once...the sign said 104! :D

Written By: C.NOIZE on 07/09/05 at 9:43 pm

No, those are still on, dude...

Hmm...I thought they took the old numbers off.

however, I don't see how the metric system could help me in such a way.

Like I said before, the metric system would hinder more than help the regular Joes who don't deal with foreign products often.  So I am against the change.  But if it would come to that, it would bother me too much.  (Sure would make gas prices harder to figure out, though.)

Written By: Apricot on 07/09/05 at 9:50 pm

They'd probably sell gas by the closest Liter equivalent.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/05 at 10:14 pm

I got a speeding ticket in Canada once...the sign said 104! :D

I always wondered how many idiots crossing the Canada line floored it when the speed signs changed to 90! 
For what it's worth, you don't see any Canadians chugging down the highway at 35 mph!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/09/05 at 10:17 pm

I always wondered how many idiots crossing the Canada line floored it when the speed signs changed to 90! 
For what it's worth, you don't see any Canadians chugging down the highway at 35 mph!
;D true! Seriosly though....I'm just so used to the way it is here in the US...I can't get used to the change. I mean, a hot Summer day will always be in the 90's....not the 30's ??? :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/05 at 10:20 pm

;D true! Seriosly though....I'm just so used to the way it is here in the US...I can't get used to the change. I mean, a hot Summer day will always be in the 90's....not the 30's ??? :)

The western desert lives and breathes at forty-five degrees!
--Midnight Oil

Once in the middle of March I was fiddling with a short wave radio.  I tuned into a Canadian weather forecast.  The announcer said the high temperature for the day would be eight degrees.  I thought for a second I had tuned in Whitheorse, or Yellowknife!  Nope..Toronto!
;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/09/05 at 10:44 pm

The western desert lives and breathes at forty-five degrees!
--Midnight Oil

Once in the middle of March I was fiddling with a short wave radio.  I tuned into a Canadian weather forecast.  The announcer said the high temperature for the day would be eight degrees.  I thought for a second I had tuned in Whitheorse, or Yellowknife!  Nope..Toronto!
;)
;D At least I TRY to accomadate our metric friends on the boards. In the Weather Thread I post both ;)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/10/05 at 9:03 am

I know the whole system, as does the majority of Americans.  I agree with what was written above, it's just to much of a hassle of average joes on the street.

12 inches=1 foot
3 feet=1 yard
1,760 yards=1 mile
5,280 feet=1 mile

16 ounces=1 pound
2,000 pounds=1 ton

freezing=32 degrees
boiling=212 degrees

2 pints=1 quart
4 quarts=1 gallon

I didn't need to look any of that up.  You just don't take a system the majority of the population knows and switch it to something most don't know anything about.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/10/05 at 3:36 pm

Who can answer this---how long is a rod?  (Let's be mature now!)

hold on....I actually used to know this.....wait a second.....um..I think it's  2 feet.  It might be 4 feet though......shoot....and now the number 7 is poking into my head for some reason....dang it

Written By: McDonald on 07/10/05 at 8:47 pm

I know the whole system, as does the majority of Americans.  I agree with what was written above, it's just to much of a hassle of average joes on the street.

12 inches=1 foot
3 feet=1 yard
1,760 yards=1 mile
5,280 feet=1 mile

16 ounces=1 pound
2,000 pounds=1 ton

freezing=32 degrees
boiling=212 degrees

2 pints=1 quart
4 quarts=1 gallon

I didn't need to look any of that up.  You just don't take a system the majority of the population knows and switch it to something most don't know anything about.

And do the majority of Americans know, say... what Troy Weight is? Or that an acre is 160 square rods... (and a rod is..?). It's a ridiculous and outdated system as opposed to metric, that's obvious enough. Luckily, you probably have nothing to worry about in learning that there are 1000 metres in one kilometre (and actually having to remember that ever so difficult equation) because it will be a cold day in hell before we switch.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 07/10/05 at 10:41 pm

Luckily, you probably have nothing to worry about in learning that there are 100 metres in one kilometre (and actually having to remember that ever so difficult equation) because it will be a cold day in hell before we switch.

You know...it is a good thing we aren't switching.  'Cause there's 1000 meters in a kilometer, not 100.  :D ;D

And it will be a cold day in Hell before we switch--'cause Americans are stubborn.  Whether that's good or bad isn't for me to say, though.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/10/05 at 10:46 pm

Living with the metric system all my life, I am inclined to say "yes, make the switch". I have tried to learn imperial, but it just seems too confusing. At least with metric it's all 1s, 10s, 100s, and 1000s which is very easy to convert.

eg:
1cm = 10mm
1m = 100cm
1km = 1000m

1L = 1000mL
1KL = 1000L

1g = 1000mg
1kg = 1000g

Freezing point = 0 degrees celcius
Boiling point = 100 degrees celcius

and so on.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/11/05 at 5:13 am

Luckily, you probably have nothing to worry about in learning that there are 100 metres in one kilometre (and actually having to remember that ever so difficult equation)

I thought it was 1,000.

Maybe it's not so easy.  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/05 at 6:59 am

Living with the metric system all my life, I am inclined to say "yes, make the switch". I have tried to learn imperial, but it just seems too confusing. At least with metric it's all 1s, 10s, 100s, and 1000s which is very easy to convert.

eg:
1cm = 10mm
1m = 100cm
1km = 1000m

1L = 1000mL
1KL = 1000L

1g = 1000mg
1kg = 1000g

Freezing point = 0 degrees celcius
Boiling point = 100 degrees celcius

and so on.

I grew up with the imperial measurements and find the metric system harder to grasp.

Written By: karen on 07/11/05 at 7:52 am

As a child I grew up learning the metric system at school and had a mother who still cooked in pounds and ounces.  She had a little conversion chart on the kitchen wall and we could all recite the rhymes "two and a quarter pounds of jam weighs about a kilogram" "a metre measures three foot three, it's longer than a yard you see" " a litre of water's a pint and three quarters"

Now, as a mother myself, I have switched to cooking in grams because this is the system my daughter is learning and one I am already familiar with.  All shops have now switched over to metric scales and all petrol is dispensed in litres.  The only conversion to make is in road distances and speeds which are still in miles.  I reckon a couple of years of dual signage would be all it would take to swap over to metric here as well.

Written By: McDonald on 07/11/05 at 12:28 pm

You know...it is a good thing we aren't switching.  'Cause there's 1000 meters in a kilometer, not 100.  :D ;D

And it will be a cold day in Hell before we switch--'cause Americans are stubborn.  Whether that's good or bad isn't for me to say, though.

I thought it was 1,000.

Maybe it's not so easy.  ;)

It was a typo. I know there are 1000 m. in a kilometre. For proof, just look at one of my previous posts on this thread. I apologise for the error.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/11/05 at 12:31 pm

And do the majority of Americans know, say... what Troy Weight is?

12 ounces in one Troy Pound...and its used to measure gold...ha!  I remember that! lol

Written By: McDonald on 07/11/05 at 12:32 pm

As a child I grew up learning the metric system at school and had a mother who still cooked in pounds and ounces.  She had a little conversion chart on the kitchen wall and we could all recite the rhymes "two and a quarter pounds of jam weighs about a kilogram" "a metre measures three foot three, it's longer than a yard you see" " a litre of water's a pint and three quarters"

Now, as a mother myself, I have switched to cooking in grams because this is the system my daughter is learning and one I am already familiar with.  All shops have now switched over to metric scales and all petrol is dispensed in litres.  The only conversion to make is in road distances and speeds which are still in miles.  I reckon a couple of years of dual signage would be all it would take to swap over to metric here as well.

Also, an interesting fact is that it's illegal to sell beer in litres in the U.K. It must be sold in pints and fluid ounces. That is what I have read.

Written By: McDonald on 07/11/05 at 12:37 pm

12 pounds...and its used to measure gold...ha!  I remember that! lol

Two points!

I didn't remember because they never even bothered to teach us Troy weight, or how much a "grain" weighs. What is most ridiculous is that all Imperial measurements are officially defined using metric anyway. We should just cut out the middle man, IMHO. Personally speaking, I did so two years ago, to the best that society at large will allow me. It's not like I'm going to convert to celsius the 450 degrees Fahrenheit at which the pizza box tells me to preheat the oven. :P

Written By: McDonald on 07/11/05 at 12:41 pm

If a change is made, it will begin at the very bottom, in schools. The USMA encourages teachers to teach metric measurements to their students with more and more exclusivity to Imperial. Any teacher is perfectly well within his/her rights to do so, as it has been legal to use metric measurements in any and all facets of American life since, if I remember correctly, 1866. SI is used exclusively in all science classes already, so it's not that large of a stretch.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/11/05 at 5:46 pm

everyone should learn both metric and the American Standard system.  Its not that hard to learn. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/11/05 at 6:40 pm

everyone should learn both metric and the American Standard system.  Its not that hard to learn. 

"American Standard" is a brand name of fixtures for public toilets.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/11/05 at 8:16 pm

"American Standard" is a brand name of fixtures for public toilets.

we should all learn that too lol  ::)

thats the name I call it...because English standard doesnt work considering the english dont use it

Written By: Apricot on 07/11/05 at 8:28 pm

Well, even knowing them, which would go on Road Signs? And which would we go by? Sure, you can KNOW both.. but you can't USE both at the same time.

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/11/05 at 10:04 pm

Well, even knowing them, which would go on Road Signs? And which would we go by? Sure, you can KNOW both.. but you can't USE both at the same time.

yeah....there needs to be one system that is nationally used.

Personally, I'd stick with our current system...only because so many know it already. 

though we should all learn both....even if just for the fact that while driving into Canada we dont all get speeding tickets

Written By: Powerslave on 07/12/05 at 3:06 am

I had a quiet chuckle once at a newly arrived American backpacker buying meat in a supermarket who asked for 500 kilos (1000 pounds) of sliced ham, instead of 500 grams (1 pound). :)

Written By: karen on 07/12/05 at 8:36 am

But when driving in Wales the signs have both English and Welsh on them.  I only read the English bit, it doesn't matter that I don't understand the Welsh.  Therefore for speed signs you could have 90km/55mph (or whatever it is) and direction signs could say New York 5km/8 miles and you would just take note of what you understand.  Most car speedos have both mph and kmph on them already.

Written By: Apricot on 07/13/05 at 11:29 am

Personally, I'd stick with our current system...only because so many know it already. 

though we should all learn both....even if just for the fact that while driving into Canada we dont all get speeding tickets

I too would stick with the current one.. too many Americans are too stubborn to be changed.

Either way.. for the tickets.. don't most cars have a KPH right next to the MPH?

Written By: Billy Florio on 07/13/05 at 6:18 pm

I too would stick with the current one.. too many Americans are too stubborn to be changed.

Either way.. for the tickets.. don't most cars have a KPH right next to the MPH?

yeah, but for some reason, no one thinks to remind themselves that the 120 KM speed limit sign is not MILES. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/15/05 at 4:22 pm

Wouldn't changing the signs so that they were in both systems be costly?  Is it worth it when almost no one who lives in America knows the metric system only?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/05 at 8:01 pm

Wouldn't changing the signs so that they were in both systems be costly?  Is it worth it when almost no one who lives in America knows the metric system only?

It would be costly and deadly!  I can imagine bloody remains being hauled from smoking wrecks, and a dopy guy saying, "Gee officer, I thought it was 75 miles per hour, and 40 kilometers per hour!  Aw, jeez, I keep getting 'em mixed up!"
:D

Written By: Apricot on 07/15/05 at 10:16 pm

So.. I guess it's too much trouble.. in a few generations, I suppose we could ever-so slowly ween American off of our system onto Metric.. but why? We're unique.  :D

Written By: karen on 07/18/05 at 7:33 am

So.. I guess it's too much trouble.. in a few generations, I suppose we could ever-so slowly ween American off of our system onto Metric.. but why? We're unique. :D

And sometimes working ouit of kilter to the rest of the world is costly in terms of miscalcualting things when doing the conversions between metric and American measurements.

I may have misremembered this but I think one of the contributing factors to the failure of the initial Hubble Space Telescope was a mis calculation or a misunderstanding of the units in making the mirror.  Ultimately this resulted in unusuable data and a costly Shuttle mission to engineer the solution.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 07/18/05 at 7:52 am

"Switch to the metric system"

Do it people  :)  Haul yourselves into the 20th Century, then make a leap for the 21st when ya get there  ;D

Honestly - there is a bit of pain when you do it, but the concept is that everting is based on 10s, 100s and 1000s - you can't miss  :)

It's really NOT hard at all  ;)

Written By: jaytee on 07/18/05 at 8:04 am

I had a quiet chuckle once at a newly arrived American backpacker buying meat in a supermarket who asked for 500 kilos (1000 pounds) of sliced ham, instead of 500 grams (1 pound). :)

;D  Many years ago I heard a little old lady ask for a kilometre of sausages!  ;D

Do it people :) Haul yourselves into the 20th Century, then make a leap for the 21st when ya get there ;D

Honestly - there is a bit of pain when you do it, but the concept is that everting is based on 10s, 100s and 1000s - you can't miss :)

It's really NOT hard at all ;)

I agree totally with you Fuss!!  I can still remember imperial but I always think in metric.   :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/20/05 at 11:11 pm

Switching to the metric system in America would be pretty much like making spanish the official language in England.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/05 at 8:17 am

Switching to the metric system in America would be pretty much like making spanish the official language in England.

Cuáles son usted que habla, mate?
:D

Written By: jaytee on 07/21/05 at 8:22 am

That is a ridiculous statement  ::)

Written By: karen on 07/21/05 at 11:24 am

No it isn't.  The vast majority of the world do not speak Spanish to the exclusivity of any other language.  We do not cause problems when trading with other Western countries because we don't speak Spanish.

Written By: Apricot on 07/21/05 at 12:03 pm

Do it people  :)  Haul yourselves into the 20th Century, then make a leap for the 21st when ya get there  ;D

Honestly - there is a bit of pain when you do it, but the concept is that everting is based on 10s, 100s and 1000s - you can't miss  :)

It's really NOT hard at all  ;)

Tell this to the belt-buckle wearin', bible totin', gun shootin', jerky eatin', speed takin', truck drivin', done er gitin' American Supremacists.. a lot of people will just flat out refuse. I myself can use both.. I just go with American because I like it better.. I LIKE our arbitrary, nonsensical system. We have a measure for liquid called a "Hogshead". NOTHING can top that.

Written By: karen on 07/22/05 at 3:58 am

Tell this to the belt-buckle wearin', bible totin', gun shootin', jerky eatin', speed takin', truck drivin', done er gitin' American Supremacists.. a lot of people will just flat out refuse. I myself can use both.. I just go with American because I like it better.. I LIKE our arbitrary, nonsensical system. We have a measure for liquid called a "Hogshead". NOTHING can top that.

'Cept according to my dictionary the hogshead has at least two different values so it's not that useful is it?

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 8:15 am

'Cept according to my dictionary the hogshead has at least two different values so it's not that useful is it?

Well, I've done a bit of reading.. it looks different for wine and beer/ale.. and then different for different types of wine.. but that's just stupid.

Either way, I don't think I myself will ever need to measure anything in 46-63 gallon intervals... it's just a cooler name then whatever liquid equivalent the Metric System has.. everything is uniform in metric. While it's more convienient to rememeber.. the names just aren't as cool.  ;D  And either way, too many people in the U.S. already use our system and will refuse to switch over. That's what it really comes down to, the U.S.' stubborn nature.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/05 at 11:35 am

Everybody knows how much a hogshead is, at least everybody in Shawnee County.  I don't know about what some city slickers think...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 4:12 pm

Well, I've done a bit of reading.. it looks different for wine and beer/ale.. and then different for different types of wine.. but that's just stupid.

Either way, I don't think I myself will ever need to measure anything in 46-63 gallon intervals... it's just a cooler name then whatever liquid equivalent the Metric System has.. everything is uniform in metric. While it's more convienient to rememeber.. the names just aren't as cool.  ;D  And either way, too many people in the U.S. already use our system and will refuse to switch over. That's what it really comes down to, the U.S.' stubborn nature.
Hey, I refuse to consider a hot summer day 30 degrees :D

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 4:43 pm

Hey, I refuse to consider a hot summer day 30 degrees :D

Me too.. I was always confused when people said crap like "It's FOURTY Degrees? WTF?"  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/22/05 at 5:07 pm

In many ways, we are already half and half.

We buy our soda in 2 liter bottles.  Military maps use Kilometer as a base, not miles.  Our engines are measured in "Cubic Liter", not "Cubic Inch".  In the medical, scienticif, and engineering communities metric has been the standard for decades.

And not all of Europe has converted over.  I still talk to people over in England on occasion who give me their weight in "stone", and height in "Imperial".

I remember the big push to make us convert back in the 1970's.  It was an absolute failure.  THe only way we will ever convert is the way we are doing it now, slowly, one piece at a time.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/22/05 at 8:09 pm

Me too.. I was always confused when people said crap like "It's FOURTY Degrees? WTF?"  ;D
And I get confused when people say stuff like: "Brrr, 30 degrees. It's soooo cold!!!"  ;D

30 degrees is very warm according to me. (90F)  :D

Written By: Apricot on 07/22/05 at 8:12 pm

And I get confused when people say stuff like: "Brrr, 30 degrees. It's soooo cold!!!"  ;D

30 degrees is very warm according to me. (90F)  :D

That's why I just say "Bloody hell, it's hot!" or "Bloody Hell, it's cold!", never "Bloody Hell, it's 75 degrees with low humidity, a visibility of 2 miles, UV Index in the 7-8 region.."  ;D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/22/05 at 8:36 pm

In many ways, we are already half and half.

We buy our soda in 2 liter bottles.  Military maps use Kilometer as a base, not miles.  Our engines are measured in "Cubic Liter", not "Cubic Inch".  In the medical, scienticif, and engineering communities metric has been the standard for decades.

And not all of Europe has converted over.  I still talk to people over in England on occasion who give me their weight in "stone", and height in "Imperial".

I remember the big push to make us convert back in the 1970's.  It was an absolute failure.  THe only way we will ever convert is the way we are doing it now, slowly, one piece at a time.

The people in the 70's looked absurd trying to push the metric system on us.  Stick to protesting wars.

Prediction: we'll stay mostly with our current system as long as our most popular sport is football and they use yards and inches.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 10:06 pm

;D ;) Not knocking the our celsius friends..they have thier rights and we have ours...leave us to our system and we'll leave them to thiers ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/05 at 10:40 pm

If someone could convince us going metric would help us get laid or get free beer, we Americans would be there in a jiffy!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 11:39 pm

If someone could convince us going metric would help us get laid or get free beer, we Americans would be there in a jiffy!
http://www.geocities.com/klaatu_77/rofl.gif

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/22/05 at 11:43 pm

A lot of guys would like it if 2 liter beers was standard and if they could brag to girls about their 'size' in centimeters.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 12:20 am

A lot of guys would like it if 2 liter beers was standard and if they could brag to girls about their 'size' in centimeters.
Ah, but size isn't supossed to matter, according to some ladies :D

Written By: Apricot on 07/23/05 at 12:46 am

*burst in* WHO SAID LAID AND FREE BEER?

Check for new replies or respond here...