» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Geographical Confusion - Help!

Written By: ADH13 on 07/12/05 at 12:50 am

Ok, I know this is probably the wrong thread, but I didn't think any of this history buffs would find this on the "Before the 70's" thread.

I've been doing some research on old New York, and the neighborhoods like "Five Points", "Hell's Kitchen", etc.  This has led me to researching Italian immigration, but I ran into a little confusion.  I am finding that the passenger records sometimes say the immigrants were born in Italy, but other documents such as death records show their birthplace as Austria.  In some cases, the city name is the same, but the country is different.

I'm thinking that at one time, part of Italy must have been controlled by Austria, or vice versa.  These people clearly had Italian surnames.  If anyone is familiar with this, and knows of the name of a conflict/war relating to this that I can look up, I'd appreciate your help.

I wish I paid more attention in my history classes in high school, but back then I couldn't have cared less. :(

Subject: Re: Geographical Confusion - Help!

Written By: Powerslave on 07/12/05 at 2:07 am

I think you'll find your assumption to be correct. Until the end of WWI, parts of northern Italy were under the annexe of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Therefore, at the time they were born, they were Austrian.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/12/05 at 2:12 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Austria-hungary.png

Here's a map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The area marked 13 on the map is Tirol, which includes part of what is now northen Italy.

Written By: maddog on 07/12/05 at 6:59 am

Parts of northern Italy are still very similar to Austria in their landscape, cuisine and architecture. I visited Lake Garda (northern Italy) on holiday a few years ago and you could easily think you were in Austria. It's a very beautiful lake and many Austrians have weekend holiday homes there. On a Friday evening, the roads were packed with cars with Austrian license plates.

Written By: McDonald on 07/12/05 at 12:39 pm

If you ever read the classic novel A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway, you will get a glimpse of the Italian struggle against the Austrians in WW1. The protagonist is an American in the Italian army, stationed at the mountainous front in northern Italy, fighting the advancing Austrians.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/12/05 at 3:21 pm

Thank you all very much for your help.  I'm sure I will be able to find plenty of info thanks to you guys. :)  I appreciate it.

Check for new replies or respond here...