» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Today Mary Jo Would Be 65, Have ANOTHER Drink, Ted!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/05 at 8:08 pm

1968: US Senator Edward Kennedy’s car drove off a bridge on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts killing his 28-year-old companion Mary Jo Kopechne. Kennedy fled the scene of the accident and received a suspended sentence of two months and one year's probation. Chappaquiddick now stands for political nemesis— a shady part of ones past that won't go away

here's a link for all you Killer Kennedy lovers to eat up!

http://www.lucianne.com/threads2.asp?artnum=224987

Subject: Re: Today Mary Jo Would Be 65, Have ANOTHER Drink, Ted!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/18/05 at 8:26 pm

I put Edward Kennedy in the same group as Michael Jackson, Robert Blake, O.J. Simpson and all the rest.  >:(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/18/05 at 8:56 pm

I put Edward Kennedy in the same group as Michael Jackson, Robert Blake, O.J. Simpson and all the rest.  >:(
Hey, don't forget Michael Kennedy Smith who got away with rape. That people actually vote for this alcoholic murderer is beyond me ::)  RIP Mary Jo, you can rest easy in Heaven knowing you'll never have to see this idiot again....as he'll be burning in hell ;)

Written By: Im Batman on 07/18/05 at 10:39 pm

I hope that by posting this it makes you and Luciane feel real important.

Written By: Jessica on 07/19/05 at 4:22 am

But can you deny the fact that what he did was beyond shady? Even if he had been Republican, it is still a horrible thing for anyone to do. The fact of the matter is he was drunk and he left a person to die and all he got was a slap on the wrist, most likely because he came from a famous family. :P

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/19/05 at 8:27 am

But can you deny the fact that what he did was beyond shady? Even if he had been Republican, it is still a horrible thing for anyone to do. The fact of the matter is he was drunk and he left a person to die and all he got was a slap on the wrist, most likely because he came from a famous family. :P

But what about the prosecuter?  If I make a mistake, I should take responsability, but if the law doesn't handle it right, they should take responsability.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/05 at 9:54 am

You and I are wasting our collectives breath, Jess. His supporters will blame the prosecution for the case being mishandled. Bottom line is: HE committed an atrocious act and for being the coward that he is, a young woman lost her life....gotta love the Kennedy's and all thier fans ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/19/05 at 1:58 pm

You know, when some of us bring up the "heroic legacy" of the chicken hawks in this admin we are charged with raising long-dead issues.  How is this any different?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/19/05 at 3:22 pm

You know, when some of us bring up the "heroic legacy" of the chicken hawks in this admin we are charged with raising long-dead issues.  How is this any different?

it's not, but it doesn't stop them.  You don't see birthday notices when Laura Bush's high school sweetheart's birthday rolls around

Kennedy accidently killed one person, Bush intentionally falsified justifications for war and killed thousands, but it's ok, they're not rich so they aren't as important.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/05 at 5:42 pm

it's not, but it doesn't stop them.  You don't see birthday notices when Laura Bush's high school sweetheart's birthday rolls around

As I recall...

-Laura was not drunk at the time
-Laura did not wait 8-12 hours to report the accident
-Laura was 17 years old, yes past the age of reason but less mature than Teddy

Some big differences there...

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/19/05 at 6:48 pm

Remember the old joke told on Bob and Tom:

Ted Kennedy: "I just had a Chappaquidick".
Tom: "What is a Chappaquidick?"
Ted: Kennedy: "That's Scotch and murky water". :D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 07/19/05 at 7:34 pm

Geez, at least get the date right....it was June 19, 1969 ::)

Wasn't it July?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/19/05 at 8:08 pm

As I recall...

-Laura was not drunk at the time
-Laura did not wait 8-12 hours to report the accident
-Laura was 17 years old, yes past the age of reason but less mature than Teddy

Some big differences there...

and yet, still just as pointless as pointing out the Kennedy scandal

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/05 at 8:40 pm

Geez, at least get the date right....it was June 19, 1969 ::)

I'm no Kennedy lover, but if his name HADN'T been Kennedy, would this even have been an issue?
I'm sorry about getting the date wrong...and yes if it had been anybody else it would've mattered because a human being died while another turned into a coward by not trying to save her or report it right away.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/19/05 at 9:37 pm

You missed the point.  If Ted Kennedy had just been the average Joe down the street, probably the only people who knew about it would be those in the town.  It would not have been nationwide news, but since it's a "Kennedy", EVERYONE knows about it.
Hey, you know I usually always miss the point :-\\ If he was a consercative senator I'd still be pissed though >:(

Written By: Im Batman on 07/20/05 at 1:28 am

So this is the Republican strategy to take the heat off of Karl Rove?  Attack Ted Kennedy all over again?

And I thought the Repugs were going to do something stupid.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/05 at 4:20 am

Oh grow up already!  The right has been hammering away at this for 36 years.  This couldn't be more tiresome.  And don't make like y'all give a rat's azz about Mary Jo and her family.  You don't.  You just hate TK.

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/20/05 at 8:05 am

So this is the Republican strategy to take the heat off of Karl Rove?  Attack Ted Kennedy all over again?

And I thought the Repugs were going to do something stupid.

no.  Bush rushed his nomination of a Supreme Court Justice.  Two days ago he said it was going to take at least a week, and than bam, he found one real quick.  Knocks Rove off the front page until more dirt turns up anyways

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/20/05 at 2:41 pm

no.  Bush rushed his nomination of a Supreme Court Justice.  Two days ago he said it was going to take at least a week, and than bam, he found one real quick.  Knocks Rove off the front page until more dirt turns up anyways

And politics goes on and on and on. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/05 at 2:08 am

Oh grow up already!  The right has been hammering away at this for 36 years.  This couldn't be more tiresome.  And don't make like y'all give a rat's azz about Mary Jo and her family.  You don't.  You just hate TK.
Um, NO....I lost a son to murder and this follows suit....he could've saved her but didn't have the balls....so you are partially right in that I hate him and partially wrong for the fact that he's a slime. Also, I care about anyone who loses someone so please do not tell me to grow up ;)
Oh, and once again, before this turns into a right/left BS argument...I will again state that if a conservative had done this I would feel exactely the same way >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/05 at 8:05 am

Um, NO....I lost a son to murder and this follows suit....he could've saved her but didn't have the balls....so you are partially right in that I hate him and partially wrong for the fact that he's a slime. Also, I care about anyone who loses someone so please do not tell me to grow up ;)
Oh, and once again, before this turns into a right/left BS argument...I will again state that if a conservative had done this I would feel exactely the same way >:(

So you're different from the rest of the conservatives who have beaten the Chappaquidick drum for 36 years? 
Chappaquidick was not murder, it was an accident.  The worst TK would have been convicted of was negligent manslaughter.  Maybe he should have been.  Maybe if his political career ended in 1969, Massachusetts would have had smarter, more effective, and more liberal senators over the past three decades!
I have been hearing about Chappaquidick my entire life, and I'm sick of it!  My father was one of those Kennedy-hating liberals who was always on about it.  The right-wing refers to it at every opportunity, including dumb bumper stickers such as "My assault rifle: 0, Ted Kennedy's car: 1."  Everything to be said about Chappaquidick to be said, has been said ad nauseam.  If your goal as a parent of a child who was the victim of murder is to raise public sympathy for the families of murdered children, Chappaquidick is not a good example to use.  Chappaquidick is still used as a political issue and will distract from your goal....
unless of course your goal really is Kennedy-bashing, in which case you should not bring up the family tragedy because to do so in the name of a political grudge is a form of emotional blackmail.  I notice you chose to call TK an alcoholic in the second clause of your subject heading, rather than offer sympathy MJK's family.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/05 at 11:58 am

So you're different from the rest of the conservatives who have beaten the Chappaquidick drum for 36 years? 
Chappaquidick was not murder, it was an accident.  The worst TK would have been convicted of was negligent manslaughter.  Maybe he should have been.  Maybe if his political career ended in 1969, Massachusetts would have had smarter, more effective, and more liberal senators over the past three decades!
I have been hearing about Chappaquidick my entire life, and I'm sick of it!  My father was one of those Kennedy-hating liberals who was always on about it.  The right-wing refers to it at every opportunity, including dumb bumper stickers such as "My assault rifle: 0, Ted Kennedy's car: 1."  Everything to be said about Chappaquidick to be said, has been said ad nauseam.  If your goal as a parent of a child who was the victim of murder is to raise public sympathy for the families of murdered children, Chappaquidick is not a good example to use.  Chappaquidick is still used as a political issue and will distract from your goal....
unless of course your goal really is Kennedy-bashing, in which case you should not bring up the family tragedy because to do so in the name of a political grudge is a form of emotional blackmail.  I notice you chose to call TK an alcoholic in the second clause of your subject heading, rather than offer sympathy MJK's family.
Funny you should mention that but yes, I have indeed sent an email to her family. It has only to do with the fact that a coward caused a young woman to lose her life. That's IT. Like I said, had it been a conservative in the same position as Ted, I'd feel exactly the same you silly man http://www.geocities.com/klaatu_77/slap.gif  ;)

Written By: Apricot on 07/21/05 at 4:23 pm

The fact of the matter is he was drunk and he left a person to die and all he got was a slap on the wrist, most likely because he came from a famous family. :P

Yeah, reading how light a punishment he got sickened me.. but that's the fact that he's from a famous family and whatnot.. and no one's gonna ask for a heavier sentence.

Sure, killing is wrong, but it's not really his fault he got off light.. is it?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/21/05 at 6:08 pm

When Strom Thurmond was 21 he raped the 15 year old housemaid, then the family arranged for the
child to be taken away from her. Strom, a child rapist,  is a hero to many who revile Kennedy.
There are many more skeletons in many more closets in the House, Senate, and White House, but
you regurgitate Chappaqidick year after year.  Grow up.  The stories in Washington DC include
forced abortions, murders, out-of-wedlock children, extra-marital affairs(and children from them), dead-beat dads(can you say Newt Gingrich), ad infinatum.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/05 at 7:06 pm

When Strom Thurmond was 21 he raped the 15 year old housemaid, then the family arranged for the
child to be taken away from her. Strom, a child rapist,  is a hero to many who revile Kennedy.
There are many more skeletons in many more closets in the House, Senate, and White House, but
you regurgitate Chappaqidick year after year.  Grow up.  The stories in Washington DC include
forced abortions, murders, out-of-wedlock children, extra-marital affairs(and children from them), dead-beat dads(can you say Newt Gingrich), ad infinatum.
He's just another coward who got away with a crime...I bring it up as a reminder that a young woman died and didn't have to. Kinda like when I bring up OJ getting away with double murder....nobody seems to mind when I bring THAT up :-\\ It's JUST to do with a person that died...not a political argument. R.I.P. Mary :\'(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/05 at 7:10 pm

Speaking of OJ and also on the topic of people getting upset about things being brought up over and over again...It was nice to see Mark Furman dig and dig and finally justice was served for poor 15 year old Martha Moxley. Ted will never be brought to justice and that is wrong....as it is when anyone gets away with a "Crime"...be it a Conservative OR a Liberal, crime is crime and justice should be served.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/05 at 7:19 pm

He's just another coward who got away with a crime...I bring it up as a reminder that a young woman died and didn't have to. Kinda like when I bring up OJ getting away with double murder....nobody seems to mind when I bring THAT up :-\\ It's JUST to do with a person that died...not a political argument. R.I.P. Mary :\'(

In Midland, Texas, in 1963, Laura Bush (then Laura Welch) ran a stop sign, struck another vehicle, and killed that car's sole occupant, a young man of seventeen.
It was an accident.
Now, if Hillary Clinton ran a stop sign when she was seventeen and killed John Doe, you'd never hear the end of it from the Republican Noise Machine, and you would post: "Today John Doe would be sixty-five, run another stop sign, Hillary!"
You'll deny this, of course.

~ Silly Man
:)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/05 at 7:35 pm

Speaking of OJ and also on the topic of people getting upset about things being brought up over and over again...It was nice to see Mark Furman dig and dig and finally justice was served for poor 15 year old Martha Moxley. Ted will never be brought to justice and that is wrong....as it is when anyone gets away with a "Crime"...be it a Conservative OR a Liberal, crime is crime and justice should be served.

Ted was brought to justice, and justice served him a tap on the wrist.  Hmmm...a member of a powerful family gets off easy?  Imagine that!  Again, I stress the crash at Chappaquidick was the result of gross negligence (DWI).  This is a far cry from what the Skankels did.  Their teenage son went berzerk and murdered a young girl with a five-iron.  He and his family concealed the truth for nearly thirty years.  If Fuhrman hadn't been persistent, Skankel would have only his conscience to punish him, if he actually has one of those.
You know what the irony is? 
If Skankel had gone sobbing over to the Greenwich police on November 1st, 1975, and confessed, "I done a baaaad thing!," he'd be a free man today.  The Skankel family were both extremely rich and extremely well-connected politically.  They could have gotten their kid top-notch legal counsel and a cushy juvenile court.  The judge, the jury, and the press would have gotten an earful about, "oh, he's really just a sick boy!"  Skankel would have gotten into some youthful offender's program where they go for picnics in the woods and stuff.  He would have finished school, and then been released in his early '20s.  He could have gone to college or just bummed around on the old man's money.  Either way, he wouldn't be sitting behind bars now at the age of 46!
:P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/05 at 7:39 pm

In Midland, Texas, in 1963, Laura Bush (then Laura Welch) ran a stop sign, struck another vehicle, and killed that car's sole occupant, a young man of seventeen.
It was an accident.
Now, if Hillary Clinton ran a stop sign when she was seventeen and killed John Doe, you'd never hear the end of it from the Republican Noise Machine, and you would post: "Today John Doe would be sixty-five, run another stop sign, Hillary!"
You'll deny this, of course.

~ Silly Man
:)
I would HOPE that he would've recieved a charge of 1st degree murder....he beat her to death with a golf club and then jammed it through her neck!! I know criminals sometimes get away with things...OJ..and some get off with nearly nothing....Teddy, it just sickens me that not only does he still have a seat but he never really was punished.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/05 at 7:49 pm

I would HOPE that he would've recieved a charge of 1st degree murder....he beat her to death with a golf club and then jammed it through her neck!! .

Second-degree murder.  The crime was spontaneous and unplanned.  It doesn't make the crime any less heinous if the charge is second-degree, and you can still be locked up forever.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/05 at 8:40 pm

Second-degree murder.  The crime was spontaneous and unplanned.  It doesn't make the crime any less heinous if the charge is second-degree, and you can still be locked up forever.

As he should be. >:(

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 07/21/05 at 10:40 pm

http://homepage.mac.com/mr_bingley/.Pictures/tedvwsmall.jpg

;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/21/05 at 11:38 pm

Are you some unfeeling robot or something...TED KENNEDY KILLED SOMEONE WHILE DRIVING STONE DRUNK. What a good example for others......

What if a drunk driver killed someone YOU love?

DWI is DWI no matter who did the deed.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/21/05 at 11:47 pm

Ted will die someday...cirrhosis of the liver will have him pushing up daisies soon the way he drinks...Because he is rich he just might be able to BUY himself a liver for transplant if his conks out....which he will also wreck by his brain-turns-to-mush drinking habit!!

And ol'Scratch will be waiting for him in the Burning Basement....Hey Ted,have another one....

Written By: danootaandme on 07/22/05 at 5:33 pm

If anyone cares to they would find that what happened to Ted Kennedy in court was not unusual for
that time.  Drunk driving deaths were not prosecuted then they way they are now.  The wealthy, no
matter who they are always get off easier, not just Kennedys, bushs', too. It must also be pointed out that he wouldn't have been able to save her anyway because she was just as drunk, if not more, than as he was.  Chappaquidick was tragic, it was negligence, it was stupid, but it wasn't murder.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/22/05 at 5:42 pm

I still think that Ted was EXTREMELY NEGLIGENT by not summoning help...and for DRIVING DRUNK in the first place....

My mother drove 'under the influence'..with little kid..ME..in the car. She almost had a major wreck one time....She was taken to the Margate NJ police station...and I,a six-year-old,had to sit for what seemed like HOURS while she talked to the cops...and she drove DWI many more times....

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/22/05 at 8:48 pm

This is all very stupid.  All this nonsense would be less hipocritical if liberals just stick to talking about Kennedy and Clinton's scandals and conservatives just talk about consevatives like Bush and Limbagh and those guys.  But they won't because nobody really cares about Mary Jo or Martha Moxley or Monica.  Its just a chance to spread political dirt, like one side can claim the morally high road over the other because some idiot did this or that.  Oh, Ted Kennedy is a drunk driver, so vote Conversatives!  Limbagh is a hipocrite drug addict, so vote Liberal!  Politicians are clowns because  children do the voting!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 9:09 pm

This is all very stupid.  All this nonsense would be less hipocritical if liberals just stick to talking about Kennedy and Clinton's scandals and conservatives just talk about consevatives like Bush and Limbagh and those guys.  But they won't because nobody really cares about Mary Jo or Martha Moxley or Monica.  Its just a chance to spread political dirt, like one side can claim the morally high road over the other because some idiot did this or that.  Oh, Ted Kennedy is a drunk driver, so vote Conversatives!  Limbagh is a hipocrite drug addict, so vote Liberal!  Politicians are clowns because  children do the voting!
This  is all very stupid? Try telling that to her parents/family! They lost a child because HE didn't  NOBODY cares?? I DO and it has NOTHING to do with politics!! ANYONE who commits a crime and gets off with practically nothing, ticks me off. OJ isn't a political subject and yet I remember and care about Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman and will always be extremely upset that he got away with a double murder. And before anyone throws a race card at me, I hate when ANYONE gets away with crime...again and again, ANYONE. Here's a simple formula:
OJ = 2 Murders= Getting away free, thanks to Johnny Cochran=SICK & WRONG

Skankel + Murder and being free since 1975= SICK & WRONG Finally in prison+ Priceless

Teddy + KNOWING someone is drowning but ignores it = Sick and WRONG

Some PUNK kid Kicking Reginald Denny in the head after dragging him out of his truck and then kicking him and throwing a brick on his head on national TV and having Johnny Cochran free him with no charges= SICK and wrong

NIXON + Pardon=SICK & WRONG!!

Catching the theme here. I don't CARE about the politics, color or anything else ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/05 at 10:29 pm

A lot of this stuff is distraction and interloping on the part of the newsmedia.  The question is not whether a public figure is a hypocrite.  Everybody's a hypocrite to some degree.  I know I am.  The biggest hypocrites are the ones who hold themselves up as sentinels of piety and virtue, I don't care whether it's Pat Robertson, Jesse Jackson, or William J. Bennett. 
As for the pornographic media coverage of murders, especially of beautiful young girls, that's just another emotional ploy.  If Natalee Holloway was not Miss American Pie, but some rancid biker chick with the IQ of a fencepost got lost down there in Aruba, none of these media sluts whould give a rats azz!

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/22/05 at 11:30 pm

Yes, this fake outrage is stupid.  It doesnt have anything to do with being concerned about somebody else's family tragedy.  Do you think Mary Jo's family cares about people bickering on some stupid internet board? People don't bicker about this stuff because they care about these strangers.  Do you know how many unsolved crimes there are every day?  How many people go free every day?  Nobody cares unless they want to justify some stupid political point.

I didn't say anything about race or color.  Why do some people always bring that up and then they say they weren't thinking about it?

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK LIKE THIS?  THIS IS SICK AND WRONG!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/05 at 11:37 pm

Yes, this fake outrage is stupid.  It doesnt have anything to do with being concerned about somebody else's family tragedy.  Do you think Mary Jo's family cares about people bickering on some stupid internet board? People don't bicker about this stuff because they care about these strangers.  Do you know how many unsolved crimes there are every day?  How many people go free every day?  Nobody cares unless they want to justify some stupid political point.

I didn't say anything about race or color.  Why do some people always bring that up and then they say they weren't thinking about it?

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK LIKE THIS?  THIS IS SICK AND WRONG!
If I hearabout people going free...I get upset. Thankfully, the @ss that murdered my son is locked up for the rest of his pathetic little life. Not everyone knows about it but for those who do, they know justice was served. Mary Jo is someone I heard about and I CARE! As for the race thing....I apologize to you, it's just that Cochran played the race card and got OJ off, and yet I look at the actual crime. Like the Kennedy thing...NOTHING to do with my political affiliation, just plain and simple, a girl died and some parents lost thier child...and unfortunately, I know how that feels :-\\

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/22/05 at 11:51 pm

I'm sorry you had a private tragedy, and not to be disrespectful, but I'm talking about the public bickering about this kind of event for entertainment and to throw dirt and make a cheap political comment.  If people really cared about broken laws or people not getting punished properly, they would do something.  But they don't really care, they just want to knock somebody down and point a finger.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/05 at 12:19 am

I'm sorry you had a private tragedy, and not to be disrespectful, but I'm talking about the public bickering about this kind of event for entertainment and to throw dirt and make a cheap political comment.  If people really cared about broken laws or people not getting punished properly, they would do something.  But they don't really care, they just want to knock somebody down and point a finger.
I appreciate that. As for people doing something..I also agree that it's sad nothing gets done but I don't think that means that people don't care. As for the knockdown....too me Ted knocked himself down by being a coward which just happened to cost a young woman her life..and that's my final word on this :-\\

Written By: Powerslave on 07/24/05 at 6:12 pm

Mark, I see your point of view. I just think the title you used for the thread was unnecessarily provocative. Yes, Mary Jo may have turned 65 today (or whenever it was now) if not for Chappaquidick or a million other things that could have caused her death in the thirty six years since 1969, and Kennedy was responsible for her death by driving drunk and crashing into a lake. But other posters have valid arguments also. As far as I'm concerned, I know what it's like to be drunk, and how hard it is for me just to look after myself in that state. If I had been dumb enough to drive a car off a bridge in an inebriated state, I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to rescue anyone else except myself either. And I'd probably run away too. Put almost any normal person, regardless of stature, in the same position and you'd get the same result. That Kennedy got off lightly and was allowed to continue in his political career says more about the system than it does about him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/05 at 1:30 am

Who says she'd be 65 anyway?  Maybe she would have died of ovarian cancer in 1988!  Perhaps she would have developed a lifelong friendship with the Kennedys and taken a ride on JFK, Jr.'s plane one foggy night....

I mean, you never know!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/27/05 at 11:15 am

This is all very stupid. All this nonsense would be less hipocritical if liberals just stick to talking about Kennedy and Clinton's scandals and conservatives just talk about consevatives like Bush and Limbagh and those guys. But they won't because nobody really cares about Mary Jo or Martha Moxley or Monica. Its just a chance to spread political dirt, like one side can claim the morally high road over the other because some idiot did this or that. Oh, Ted Kennedy is a drunk driver, so vote Conversatives! Limbagh is a hipocrite drug addict, so vote Liberal! Politicians are clowns because children do the voting!
Hey...you have to be EIGHTEEN to vote.
I'm 45 years old....and I vote.

What Ted Kennedy did was terrible. ANY FOOL WHO DRIVES UNDER THE INFLUENCE,no matter if they are rich politicians....or blue collar middle class suburban folks...IS WRONG AND THEREFORE SHOULD BE PUNISHED.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/27/05 at 11:23 am

Ted Kennedy needs to get his sorry alcoholic a$$ into a rehab...the man needs help. Alcoholism is no joke. Ted has a chance now to get himself sober....once his liver conks out there's not a chance...

Yes,rehab and 12 Step groups work...if one wants to work the program.

People like Ted Kennedy...alcoholics..are all too common in our society.

Simply put...Alcoholism KILLS.

Same for ANY chemical addiction.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/27/05 at 12:56 pm

What Ted Kennedy did was terrible. ANY FOOL WHO DRIVES UNDER THE INFLUENCE,no matter if they are rich politicians....or blue collar middle class suburban folks...IS WRONG AND THEREFORE SHOULD BE PUNISHED.

But who's fault is it that he is not in jail?  Does anybody remember the prosecuter's name?  Did anybody put up threads about him or her?

This is why I said these conversations would mean more if people criticized people they aren't biased against.  Nobody likes to admit they get angry about these things out of bias.  Of course leaving the scene is a crime, but if somebody complains about Kennedy and not the other people they agree with politically who do the same kinda thing, of course it's political.  Which is ok I guess, but why do they deny it?

Written By: danootaandme on 07/27/05 at 1:03 pm

but if somebody complains about Kennedy and not the other people they agree with politically who do the same kinda thing, of course it's political.  Which is ok I guess, but why do they deny it?

After all this is the "Current Politics and Religious Thread"

Written By: Brian Damaged on 07/27/05 at 4:20 pm

;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/05 at 8:00 pm

Who is to say how TK really feels abut Chappaquiddick?  The right-wingers talk about it like Teddy couldn't care less.  He didn't spend years in prison for his crime, so maybe he didn't pay legally to your liking.  Would you expect him to say, "Please,  Mr. Judge, sentence me to prison, I don't deserve to get off lightly!"  Of course not!  You wouldn't either.    If you were in a DWI car crash in which a passenger drowned, you would do your d*mnedest to stay out of prison and save your career.  Maybe you don't believe he deserves a political career, but that's up to the voters of Massachusetts, isn't it?
How do you know the death of Mary Jo Kopechne hasn't haunted TK every day of his life?  Perhaps it is a contributing factor in his alcoholism. 
Then hasn't he publically apologised for the accident?  Because that would be political suicide.  Kennedy-haters (present company included) would call him opportunist and insincere.  No apology TK could make would ever be good enough because, as BD, points out, hatred of Kennedy is at the heart of it all. 
All anectdotes about TK I've ever heard suggest he has a rich boy sense of entitlement and some serious character flaws.*  I'm not saying TK is a saint except for Chappaquiddick.  However, that doesn't mean he's a remorseless psycho like OJ Simpson or Charles Manson.

* He tried to have his way with my aunt way back when.  Her father (that is, my dad's stepfather) actually knew the Kennedys, so when my aunt was in college, she worked on TKs staff.  He wanted her to work on his other staff, and made his intentions known at a drunken soiree.  He used some maneuvre to get her into a bedroom at the place, but she declined and, fortunately, he backed off.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/05 at 9:12 am

As a matter of fact, he DID publicly apologize....just days after the incident.  You can read the transcript here (and listen to the audio.)

TK DID publically apologise just after the incident. 
If you remember, they used Chappaquiddick to to destroy him during the 1980 presidential primaries.  If he got up and tried to make right by apologising, that would have just egged on the opposition.  And so it is at another time since.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/03/05 at 6:08 pm

This is all very stupid. All this nonsense would be less hipocritical if liberals just stick to talking about Kennedy and Clinton's scandals and conservatives just talk about consevatives like Bush and Limbagh and those guys. But they won't because nobody really cares about Mary Jo or Martha Moxley or Monica. Its just a chance to spread political dirt, like one side can claim the morally high road over the other because some idiot did this or that. Oh, Ted Kennedy is a drunk driver, so vote Conversatives! Limbagh is a hipocrite drug addict, so vote Liberal! Politicians are clowns because children do the voting!
Are you a supporter of Ted Kennedy? Or is it that drunk driving is a MILD crime in your eyes? Have you ever lost a friend or loved one to that type of horrible thing...or have you ever been a passenger in a drunken driver's car and been injured because of what those bozos do?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/05 at 6:39 pm

I just notice again and again conservatives claiming liberal run on emotions, when they themselves use emotional blackmail against all their opponents.  It's retarded.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 08/03/05 at 7:28 pm

Are you a supporter of Ted Kennedy? Or is it that drunk driving is a MILD crime in your eyes? Have you ever lost a friend or loved one to that type of horrible thing...or have you ever been a passenger in a drunken driver's car and been injured because of what those bozos do?

Why do you think I am a supporter of Ted Kennedy, whatever that is supposed to mean anyway. 

Don't lower the conversation any more with "if you have seen suffering like I have".  That's cheap.  I have suffered and seen a lot of suffering.  I have seen and experienced more than some people, and less than some people.  So what?  I'm not going to whine about it just to win points in a childish debate.  Like I said, everybody wants to make something political out of a tragedy -- they don't care about the people, they just want to go on and on about evil Liberals or evil Conservitives.  I talked about Liberals AND Conservatives both using tragedy and controversy to try to score point, and somehow you twist it around like I'm a "Kennedy supporter".  That's just silly.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/03/05 at 8:20 pm

Why do you think I am a supporter of Ted Kennedy, whatever that is supposed to mean anyway.

Don't lower the conversation any more with "if you have seen suffering like I have". That's cheap. I have suffered and seen a lot of suffering. I have seen and experienced more than some people, and less than some people. So what? I'm not going to whine about it just to win points in a childish debate. Like I said, everybody wants to make something political out of a tragedy -- they don't care about the people, they just want to go on and on about evil Liberals or evil Conservitives. I talked about Liberals AND Conservatives both using tragedy and controversy to try to score point, and somehow you twist it around like I'm a "Kennedy supporter". That's just silly.
Hey..are you saying what happened to me...being a passenger in a car with my stone-drunk mother driving...I should shut up and keep it 'under rug swept'? ANYONE WHO DRIVES DRUNK is an a**hole.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/03/05 at 8:23 pm

I just notice again and again conservatives claiming liberal run on emotions, when they themselves use emotional blackmail against all their opponents. It's retarded.
Drunk driving is plain flat out WRONG. Two of my close friends were killed by drunk drivers. and I almost was as a child....http://www.madd.org/home/

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/03/05 at 8:28 pm

Mark, I see your point of view. I just think the title you used for the thread was unnecessarily provocative. Yes, Mary Jo may have turned 65 today (or whenever it was now) if not for Chappaquidick or a million other things that could have caused her death in the thirty six years since 1969, and Kennedy was responsible for her death by driving drunk and crashing into a lake. But other posters have valid arguments also. As far as I'm concerned, I know what it's like to be drunk, and how hard it is for me just to look after myself in that state. If I had been dumb enough to drive a car off a bridge in an inebriated state, I'm not entirely sure I'd be able to rescue anyone else except myself either. And I'd probably run away too. Put almost any normal person, regardless of stature, in the same position and you'd get the same result. That Kennedy got off lightly and was allowed to continue in his political career says more about the system than it does about him.
http://www.geocities.com/mark21566/musicGuitar.gifThanks for at least opening your eyes enought to see what I meant without a personal attack or throwing this into a liberal whine about how they get attacked. I was simply stating that a young lady paid for hanging out with a drunk with her life....and it baffles me that the "Man" continues to hold a senate seat. Darn, I WISH he'd been a conservative, and then we'd see the libs circling....and I'd be right there with them ;)

Written By: Brian Damaged on 08/03/05 at 9:09 pm

Nobody is saying drunk driving is wrong oviously.  But if people wanted to talk about drunk driving, they should talk  how to prevent them and make sure they get prosecuted.  But some people worry about Ted Kennedy the bad, rich, woman chaser liberal drunk.  Everybody knows people who have been hurt by crime and carelessness.  But we make serious issues trivial when we use them as an excuse for silly political rants.  Yes, if he was conservitive some liberals would do the same thing, which is exactly what I said, but that makes me a Kennedy fan?  I have never heard of anyone having a problem with MADD.  They don't go around as Democrats against Liberal drunks or Liberals against Democrat drunks.  That woman that started it had a personal tragedy and did something constructive instead of complaining about everybody she disagreed with politically who was getting away with drunk driving. People get tired of the politics, and then other people try to be manipulating and twist it like "you don't care about drunk driving" when they know darn well thats not it AT ALL.  That's sad.  You can't argue about that.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/04/05 at 7:04 am

http://www.geocities.com/mark21566/musicGuitar.gifThanks for at least opening your eyes enought to see what I meant without a personal attack or throwing this into a liberal whine about how they get attacked. I was simply stating that a young lady paid for hanging out with a drunk with her life....and it baffles me that the "Man" continues to hold a senate seat. Darn, I WISH he'd been a conservative, and then we'd see the libs circling....and I'd be right there with them ;)

Your reasons for this thread would hold more water if you posted threads about others in the house and senate
who have done despicable deeds, and there are many, but you don't.  You are not outraged at the act, you just
hate the man and this has gotten tired.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/04/05 at 9:22 pm

Your reasons for this thread would hold more water if you posted threads about others in the house and senate
who have done despicable deeds, and there are many, but you don't. You are not outraged at the act, you just
hate the man and this has gotten tired.
Look no farther than Tom DeLay as well as Newt Gingrich...DeLay is as crooked as the Leaning Tower of Pisa..and Newt divorces his wife AFTER she is diagnosed with cancer so that he can continue to have an AFFAIR...oh yes the GOP has their loose screws too...DeLay and Gingrich are just the tip of the iceberg!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/05 at 10:23 pm

Look no farther than Tom DeLay as well as Newt Gingrich...DeLay is as crooked as the Leaning Tower of Pisa..and Newt divorces his wife AFTER she is diagnosed with cancer so that he can continue to have an AFFAIR...oh yes the GOP has their loose screws too...DeLay and Gingrich are just the tip of the iceberg!

Well, now there's something we can agree on!

I can't figure why Gingrich didn't listen to his advisors.  You make a big show of sticking by the old lady until she croaks.  Then you lay low for a few weeks, and then you wed the bimbo!  Much better PR that way!

Written By: danootaandme on 08/05/05 at 4:30 pm

Newt divorces his wife AFTER she is diagnosed with cancer so that he can continue to have an AFFAIR...

And tells his wife he can't take the kids because they would interfere, and then doesn't pay child support.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/05/05 at 7:30 pm

How about Senator Wilbur Mills, Fanne Fox,and that little old tidal basin?
I sure hope that little bit o'whoopee gave the geezer thrills......

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/05 at 12:19 am

And tells his wife he can't take the kids because they would interfere, and then doesn't pay child support.

Yeah, interfere with all that hanky-panky going on!
:P
I remember Newtie saying, "I'm a hawk, but I'm a cheap hawk!" Guess he's a dad, but a cheap dad!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/05 at 12:25 am

How about Senator Wilbur Mills, Fanne Fox,and that little old tidal basin?
I sure hope that little bit o'whoopee gave the geezer thrills......

Ohhh, Wilburrrr!

For those of you who don't recall:

Mills is best known for being disgraced by scandal after a drunken incident in October 1974 with an Argentine stripper known as Fanne Foxe. Mills was stopped by Washington, D.C. police late at night and found to be intoxicated. His face was bloody from a scuffle with Foxe. When police approached the car, Foxe leapt from the car and jumped into the nearby Tidal Basin. Mills was forced to resign his seat on the Ways and Means Committee and did not seek reelection in 1976. 1974 is a common year starting on Tuesday (click on link for calendar). ... Fanne Foxe (b. ... Aerial photo (looking NW) of the Washington Monument and the White House in Washington, D.C. Washington, D.C., officially the District of Columbia (also known as D.C.; Washington; the Nations Capital; the District; and, historically, the Federal City) is the capital city and administrative district of the... 1976 is a leap year starting on Thursday (link will take you to calendar). ...
--NationMaster online encyclopedia
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Wilbur-Mills

Now, let me tell you about ANOTHER politician from Arkansas who liked the ladies....
:-X

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/06/05 at 9:17 pm

Ohhh, Wilburrrr!

For those of you who don't recall:

Mills is best known for being disgraced by scandal after a drunken incident in October 1974 with an Argentine stripper known as Fanne Foxe. Mills was stopped by Washington, D.C. police late at night and found to be intoxicated. His face was bloody from a scuffle with Foxe. When police approached the car, Foxe leapt from the car and jumped into the nearby Tidal Basin. Mills was forced to resign his seat on the Ways and Means Committee and did not seek reelection in 1976. 1974 is a common year starting on Tuesday (click on link for calendar). ... Fanne Foxe (b. ... Aerial photo (looking NW) of the Washington Monument and the White House in Washington, D.C. Washington, D.C., officially the District of Columbia (also known as D.C.; Washington; the Nations Capital; the District; and, historically, the Federal City) is the capital city and administrative district of the... 1976 is a leap year starting on Thursday (link will take you to calendar). ...
--NationMaster online encyclopedia
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Wilbur-Mills

Now, let me tell you about ANOTHER politician from Arkansas who liked the ladies....
:-X

could it beeeeeeee......Bill Clinton???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/05 at 12:35 am

could it beeeeeeee......Bill Clinton???

Well, it ain't Dale Bumpers.

Check for new replies or respond here...