» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: London Bombings In The News.

Written By: zcrito on 07/24/05 at 3:34 pm

How are the London bombings being reported in the British press? Here in the States, or at least where I live, I know more about the bombers and that guy from Brazil than I do about any of the 56 people who were murdered (or 200+ who were injured). So far I've seen and read nothing of 56 people who were murdered.

The only victims I saw in the papers or on the television news was two students from Tennessee who were vacationing in London and in the subway when one of the blasts occurred. They were close to the blast and were injured but are back in the States now. Their story is being told but no other mention of any of the victims has been seen.

That guy (idiot?) from Brazil has made front page news here. His death seems to be the most important story of these bombings in the last two weeks.

It also seems the Muslim bombers had a good life in Britain. One I see was employed and had a family. I even read they did a little white water rafting in Wales before the bombing. Could it be their life in England wasn't all that bad ??

Subject: Re: London Bombings In The News.

Written By: Gis on 07/24/05 at 3:38 pm

Well here in the U.K, each day as the victims were identified there was a picture and an obituary for them.As to these latest bombers I guess it was the fact that they failed and the police has good pictures of them that means they are in the press alot.Major egg on the face of the metropolitain police for gunning down an innocent man with 5 close range shots to the head...........slight overkill me thinks....

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/05 at 3:42 pm

There is an unbias coverage of the incidents in London on the BBC News Online

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/default.stm

Written By: zcrito on 07/24/05 at 4:19 pm

Thanks for the update Gis and Philip. I'm glad to hear the victims are being seen and their lives and stories told somewhere.

As far as the BBC is concerned, from what I've seen or heard in the past if it's something they can't blame on Tony Blair then they're really not interested.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/24/05 at 5:11 pm

Here in Boston they ran a story with pictures of the victims and short bios.  You seem to assume that
for whatever reasons the bombers are poor, and/or struggling.  The guys who got the World Trade
Center were in large part college educated middle to upper middle class.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/24/05 at 5:25 pm

How many people died in the bombings in Egypt? Last I heard it was 88 and possibly more. How many women and children were murdered in tribal violence in Kenya last week? Over 60 from what I heard. How are these things being reported wherever you are? When the first bombings happened in London, they ran updates constantly for twelve hours and it's still making the news. This morning, the Egypt attack had been replaced in bulletins by the cricket score. I have friends in London, and my mother arrived there two hours after the first bomb went off, and the British are our friends and comrades so I sympathise with them. But I know people in Egypt too, and last I heard Egypt was still a "friend" of the West. Bombings happen there at least once a month, but when do you hear about them?

Written By: zcrito on 07/24/05 at 6:02 pm

Here in Boston they ran a story with pictures of the victims and short bios.  You seem to assume that
for whatever reasons the bombers are poor, and/or struggling.  The guys who got the World Trade
Center were in large part college educated middle to upper middle class.

Here in Boston they ran a story with pictures of the victims and short bios.
Great!

You seem to assume that for whatever reasons the bombers are poor, and/or struggling
No, I assume there are a lot of sick and spiteful Muslims in the world.

Thanks for the update.

Written By: zcrito on 07/24/05 at 6:14 pm

How many people died in the bombings in Egypt? Last I heard it was 88 and possibly more. How many women and children were murdered in tribal violence in Kenya last week? Over 60 from what I heard. How are these things being reported wherever you are? When the first bombings happened in London, they ran updates constantly for twelve hours and it's still making the news. This morning, the Egypt attack had been replaced in bulletins by the cricket score. I have friends in London, and my mother arrived there two hours after the first bomb went off, and the British are our friends and comrades so I sympathise with them. But I know people in Egypt too, and last I heard Egypt was still a "friend" of the West. Bombings happen there at least once a month, but when do you hear about them?

I hear and read about these things right after they happen. Yet, either I missed it (I've been really busy the last two weeks) but the victims (in London and Egypt) haven't been reported on like they have in the past. Again, maybe I just missed that part of it, but I do read/watch CNN, USA Today, Fox News, the other cable news outlets, local news and all the popular news Web sites. I'll look around for something...

Thanks for the update.

(maybe I need to get back to network news -- CBS, NBC and ABC ??)

Written By: saver on 07/24/05 at 8:01 pm

see my posting why I find it understandable LONDON POLICE should NOTapologize...anyone else get it?

Written By: Powerslave on 07/24/05 at 9:22 pm

see my posting why I find it understandable LONDON POLICE should NOTapologize...anyone else get it?

I get the fact that you condone an innocent person being shot to death by police on a railway station in front of equally innocent bystanders. Why not park a truck full of explosives outside a school and blow it up? It's the same thing.

Written By: saver on 07/24/05 at 9:24 pm

You DON'T run from Police period!!!

How ridiculous to compare.... the terrorists WOULD park explosives outside a school of innocents...

follow the trail!

It was a mistake they got the wrong guy but the killing was either going to be themor him..I side with erroring if the suspect did indeed run.

Written By: Powerslave on 07/24/05 at 9:37 pm

You can't say it was "them or him". There's no justification for that, because he was INNOCENT. Follow your own advice and follow the trail. The police kill someone by mistake, and you say they don't need to apologise? What sort of law enforcement service is it that kills people by mistake, and then won't apologise?

Written By: saver on 07/24/05 at 10:48 pm

I posted my original comment in the other thread...to repeat...the apology is proper that a MISTAKE was made tha they thought he was a suspect..It does not warrant an apology if HE RUNS, AND THEY KILL..when it was WRONG for him to run..if they only hurt him..do you think HE would've apologized for scaring them half to death that he could have been a mad bomber.

Yes, apologize for the mistake of misidentifying him..it's awful he died as he did(close range, shot in the head)...His family is upset and asks why he had to die..DID THEY TEACH HIM NOT TO RUN FROM THE POLICE..THEY ARE THERE TO HELP.
And with the London scare why run???

*This is only commentary based on currnt reports that : He ran, jumped the gate to the train etc. by certain witnesses.. if they made it up. it's a new story to look at.

London police have a new policy after the last bombing so to think they may 're' write it,I hear the current way IS the new way. 

Written By: EthanM on 07/24/05 at 11:43 pm

The police are not always there to help. If you rob a store using a fake gun that looks real, and the owner is chasing you with a baseball bat, you don't want to go to police. Seriously though, people with guns are scary no matter what uniform they have on and I think the natural response is to get as far away from the danger as possible.

Written By: saver on 07/25/05 at 12:21 am

I abhor guns as well but bombs are probably worse!

I can see the point that guns are a deterrant otherwise why do police have them?

:P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/05 at 1:01 am

Oh yeah, hundreds of Iraqis get killed every week in bombings and shoot-outs, but they don't really count 'coz their just, like, Iraqis and stuff.  You know, not real people like English and Americans.

Written By: Gis on 07/25/05 at 1:29 am

I posted my original comment in the other thread...to repeat...the apology is proper that a MISTAKE was made tha they thought he was a suspect..It does not warrant an apology if HE RUNS, AND THEY KILL..when it was WRONG for him to run..if they only hurt him..do you think HE would've apologized for scaring them half to death that he could have been a mad bomber.

Yes, apologize for the mistake of misidentifying him..it's awful he died as he did(close range, shot in the head)...His family is upset and asks why he had to die..DID THEY TEACH HIM NOT TO RUN FROM THE POLICE..THEY ARE THERE TO HELP.
And with the London scare why run???

*This is only commentary based on currnt reports that : He ran, jumped the gate to the train etc. by certain witnesses.. if they made it up. it's a new story to look at.

London police have a new policy after the last bombing so to think they may 're' write it,I hear the current way IS the new way. 
Don't forget the police were in plain clothes ! Quite frankly if you were in a foriegn country, had a poor understanding of the language and 3 or 4 'Ordinary' looking men pointed guns at you you just might panic and run too !! Also 5 times in the head at point blank range is completely pointless one shot and your dead five and you have no head left.The relatives had to identify him by his possessions...........

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/25/05 at 1:41 am

Don't forget the police were in plain clothes ! Quite frankly if you were in a foriegn country, had a poor understanding of the language and 3 or 4 'Ordinary' looking men pointed guns at you you just might panic and run too !! Also 5 times in the head at point blank range is completely pointless one shot and your dead five and you have no head left.The relatives had to identify him by his possessions...........

In plain clothes, they'll arrest you again,
beat you up on the street, fight back and
you'll get the blame.
They'll mix with the crowd in civilian dress,
just put one foot wrong,
they'll make you confess the rest...

~Fad Gadget
"Plain Clothes" (1983)

Little chance anybody remembers Fad Gadget, let along that song.  It just leaps to mind whenever somebody mentions plain clothes cops.

Check for new replies or respond here...