» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: who would say such a thing?....

Written By: saver on 08/16/05 at 5:58 pm

This has been attributed to Robin Williams but was a hoax...

SOMEONE WROTE IT AND SOMEONE LIKES TO STILL POST IT ON THE INTERNET, SO SOMEONE MUST LIKE WHAT IT HAS TO SAY..

Do you? :

(It may sound like some radio talk subject, but still they get respondants too)...

) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present.  You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good ole boys', we will never "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines.  They don't want us there.  We would station troops at our borders.  No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave.  We'll give them a free trip home.  After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are.  They're illegal!!!  France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be tho-
roughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!!  No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in.  If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here.  Asylum would never be available
to anyone.  We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21.  The older ones are the bombers.  If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort
to become self-sufficient energy wise.  This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness.  The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil.  If they don't like it, we go some place else.  They can go somewhere else to sell their production.  (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere."  They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need.  Besides most of what we give them are stolen or given
to the army.  The people who need
it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island some place.  We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school.  That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer.  The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer
saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.'  She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?'  "

Subject: Re: who would say such a thing?....

Written By: EthanM on 08/16/05 at 6:12 pm

some people will post anything

Written By: C.NOIZE on 08/16/05 at 8:41 pm

Do you?

Yes.  Like it or not, I feel that most of it makes good sense, despite its probable origins as a joke.

1) "The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good ole boys', we will never "interfere" again.

This one is a bit questionable--for me anyway.  Should we take the position of "policemen of the world", or should we just back off and watch and attack only when attacked?  The latter is probably the wiser, but the former is probably more honorable.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea, the Middle East, and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

Not a bad idea.  Of course, it'd be nice to retain some foreign assets, but truly, if they don't want us there, we shouldn't be there.  And for cryin' out loud, our borders should have been completely closed long ago.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

A good idea, but it might be easier (and probably less expensive) to close the borders and make every illegal still inside legal.  Then there's no worries about finding them, catching them, and deporting them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

Parts of this I agree with, others I don't.  The first sentence sounds to me like a good idea.  Of course, 90 could be replaced with any other appropriate number.  The second sentence is absurd.  Who's to say what's a terrorist nation and what's not?  And couldn't a terrorist from Afghanistan come to America by way of Germany or some other country?  Unless of course, that refers to the nation of origin...but even so, it's still stereotyping (as is the final sentence).  The third sentence...that comes back to my response to the first proposal.  As for asylum...if we opt to be "policemen of the world", then yes, have asylum.  Otherwise, no asylum.

5) No foreign "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

This makes sense, but may contradict the visitor proposal of No. 4.  And why give 'em a D?  Why not just fail them?  ???

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

We should be making a strong effort to become self-suffiecient energy wise, no matter what else goes on.  Foreign reliance for anything (from oil to clothing) is a weakness.  As for ANWR drilling...as long as we're working our tails off to find a better energy source, I say go for it.  We just make it as clean as possible and remove all the drilling apparatus when the alternate source is acheived.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go some place else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

As long as we have a source of energy, this seems to be a good idea.  However, as I said before, foreign reliance for anything is a weakness.  So if we could possibly become self-sufficient energy wise as suggested in proposal No. 6, that would be the best decision.

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere." They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them are stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

Once again, this comes back to the question put forth in my response to proposal No. 1--"policemen of the world" or, to a degree, isolationism?

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island some place. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

I never really understood what the UN did anyway, so I see no purpose in hosting it or being a member.  However, if someone could show me a purpose behind the madness, I might change my tune on this.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE...Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

The charm and beauty school...overkill perhaps, but it couldn't hurt.  As for the language...we speak English.  Not Spanish, not French, not Chinese...English.  Learn it or LEAVE, indeed.

A winner of a plan?  Perhaps.  There are some good ideas, though.

The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?'

It's a bad image of America, but until things get straightened out, I'm afraid that's the way it's got to be.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/17/05 at 2:45 pm

Yes.  Like it or not, I feel that most of it makes good sense, despite its probable origins as a joke.

This one is a bit questionable--for me anyway.  Should we take the position of "policemen of the world", or should we just back off and watch and attack only when attacked?  The latter is probably the wiser, but the former is probably more honorable.

Not a bad idea.  Of course, it'd be nice to retain some foreign assets, but truly, if they don't want us there, we shouldn't be there.  And for cryin' out loud, our borders should have been completely closed long ago.

A good idea, but it might be easier (and probably less expensive) to close the borders and make every illegal still inside legal.  Then there's no worries about finding them, catching them, and deporting them.

Parts of this I agree with, others I don't.  The first sentence sounds to me like a good idea.  Of course, 90 could be replaced with any other appropriate number.  The second sentence is absurd.  Who's to say what's a terrorist nation and what's not?  And couldn't a terrorist from Afghanistan come to America by way of Germany or some other country?  Unless of course, that refers to the nation of origin...but even so, it's still stereotyping (as is the final sentence).  The third sentence...that comes back to my response to the first proposal.  As for asylum...if we opt to be "policemen of the world", then yes, have asylum.  Otherwise, no asylum.

This makes sense, but may contradict the visitor proposal of No. 4.  And why give 'em a D?  Why not just fail them?  ???

We should be making a strong effort to become self-suffiecient energy wise, no matter what else goes on.  Foreign reliance for anything (from oil to clothing) is a weakness.  As for ANWR drilling...as long as we're working our tails off to find a better energy source, I say go for it.  We just make it as clean as possible and remove all the drilling apparatus when the alternate source is acheived.

As long as we have a source of energy, this seems to be a good idea.  However, as I said before, foreign reliance for anything is a weakness.  So if we could possibly become self-sufficient energy wise as suggested in proposal No. 6, that would be the best decision.

Once again, this comes back to the question put forth in my response to proposal No. 1--"policemen of the world" or, to a degree, isolationism?

I never really understood what the UN did anyway, so I see no purpose in hosting it or being a member.  However, if someone could show me a purpose behind the madness, I might change my tune on this.

The charm and beauty school...overkill perhaps, but it couldn't hurt.  As for the language...we speak English.  Not Spanish, not French, not Chinese...English.  Learn it or LEAVE, indeed.

A winner of a plan?  Perhaps.  There are some good ideas, though.

It's a bad image of America, but until things get straightened out, I'm afraid that's the way it's got to be.

I guess at 15 I might have been a bit of a gingoist myself, but never a xenophob.  Comment on just the "English only" crap and the satatue of liberty.

Lets see, "canoe, hammock, jousgal, rodeo, lasso" and many other words, the names of a goodly number of our states, counties, cities, streets  etc, all are of "non-English" origin.  It is said that we and the Bits are "seperated " by a common language, and their's is a combination of Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Norman French, and "Danish".  No language spoken today  is "pure", and all have been enriched by their contact with others.

I wonder what percentage of those who are the loudest in the anti-immigration crowd can trace their US heritage back to when their grand parants migrated here, mostly past that lady in the harbour?  On thye other hand, most Mexicans can trace their American heritage back to before 1776, and some can trace their back to 1591.  Others goes back even to before 1492.  So who are the "true" Americans?

The rest doesn't deserve comment.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/17/05 at 3:52 pm

Looking at numbers #1 and #8 I do see some merit in it.

What I mean is, as far as the US interfering in international affairs, it should be one way or the other.  Either we do or we don't.

What is interfering?

Policing
Sending our military when needed
Peacekeeping/Talks/UN
Sending aid/monetary assistance

among many other things...     I would be satisfied either way, as long as it is completely one way or the other.

Written By: C.NOIZE on 08/17/05 at 7:37 pm

I guess at 15 I might have been a bit of a gingoist myself, but never a xenophob.  Comment on just the "English only" crap and the satatue of liberty.

Lets see, "canoe, hammock, jousgal, rodeo, lasso" and many other words, the names of a goodly number of our states, counties, cities, streets  etc, all are of "non-English" origin.  It is said that we and the Bits are "seperated " by a common language, and their's is a combination of Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Norman French, and "Danish".  No language spoken today  is "pure", and all have been enriched by their contact with others.

I wonder what percentage of those who are the loudest in the anti-immigration crowd can trace their US heritage back to when their grand parants migrated here, mostly past that lady in the harbour?  On thye other hand, most Mexicans can trace their American heritage back to before 1776, and some can trace their back to 1591.  Others goes back even to before 1492.  So who are the "true" Americans?

The rest doesn't deserve comment.

I don't feel that I'm anti-immigration...just pro-caution.  First of all, there's terrorists out there who immigrate here only to mess things up.  The less people we allow in, the better.  And besides, America's only so big, and we don't have the ability to grow indefinitely.

And of course the English language isn't pure, that's not the issue.  The issue is that people who immigrate to America need to learn the language of America.  The immigrants who came here years ago had to learn English, and so should today's immigrants.  I'm all for diversity, but communication is just as important.

Written By: saver on 08/18/05 at 10:36 am

For shizzle my friendizzle...

;D

Written By: Dagwood on 08/18/05 at 6:51 pm

Who doesn't speak English anyway? I never run into people that don't speak English.

There's a couple that live across the street from me.  They don't speak english, their kids translate for them.  Sweet people, it's just sad that they can't communicate without the kids.

Check for new replies or respond here...