» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Fun quotes about war - You can support the troops but not the president

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/18/05 at 11:23 am

"You can support the troops but not the president."
--Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"Well, I just think it's a bad idea. What's going to happen is they're going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years."
--Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"
--Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

" President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."
--Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."
--Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."
--Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning . . I didn't think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."
--Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"
--Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

oh... these are about Clinton... sorry, I guess the opinion of these politicans has changed again

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."
--Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)

Subject: Re: Fun quotes about war - You can support the troops but not the president

Written By: GWBush2004 on 08/18/05 at 11:57 am

Quotes can be fun.

Who said it, Cindy Sheehan or David Duke?

http://webpages.charter.net/timandlauren/BansheeBigot.JPG

1. "In fact, the war is massively increasing hatred and terrorism. For every one terrorist killed in Iraq, we are creating thousands more who hate and want to hurt America and Americans. This is the surest way to lose the war on terror not win it."

2. "Besides, Bush gives the reason that we were attacked on 9/11 because 'they hate freedom and democracy', so why are we trying to force something on them that they hate? The country is demolished and so many people are dead for something they never asked for."

3. "... signed up in the military to defend America, not Israel, and to safeguard our own democracy, not the democracy of some foreign nation that neither wants nor needs it."

4. "They had to make up bogus reasons for the war, such as saying that Iraq was an imminent threat to America and that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. Now that these lies have been exposed, they have changed the rationale for the war to 'fighting for democracy' and 'fighting against terrorism.'"

5. "As soft-spoken and sincere-sounding as Paul Wolfowitz is, is there yet any sane adult in this country who's skin does not crawl when this murderous liar opens his mouth and speaks? Am I the only person in this room who clearly sees that Paul Wolfowitz is a threat to our nation's security...and to peace on our beloved earth?"

6. "Citizens of Iraq... would rather have Saddam. At least their people were educated and could walk out on the streets at night and have clean water to drink and bathe in."

7. "The truth is the Iraq War has inflicted incredible damage on America and the American people. It is war against America rather than in defense of America... Hundreds of thousands of Iraq men women and children have been killed, injured, made homeless and suffered from this war. You don’t save people by destroying their homes and hospitals, and throwing their country in chaos."

8. "Every member of Bush's executive branch (past and present) and every member of Congress who voted to give George the authority to invade Iraq have innocent blood on their hands. For the next State of the Union address, maybe the hypocrites in Congress should shamefacedly display blood-soaked hands, instead of proudly wriggling fingers stained with ink to symbolize sham Iraqi elections."

9. "There were no weapons of mass destruction, no nuclear program, no uranium from Niger, no links with Al Qaeda, no imminent threat to the American people. Every reason the American people were given for going to war has turned out to be a lie."

10. "How many Iraqi families do our bombs, bullets, greed and moronic policies have to decimate before Bush convinces them that they are better off with tyrannical American leaders or puppet representatives than Saddam?"

ANSWERS:

1. David Duke
2. Cindy Sheehan
3. David Duke
4. David Duke
5. Cindy Sheehan
6. Cindy Sheehan
7. David Duke
8. Cindy Sheehan
9. David Duke
10. Cindy Sheehan

Subject: Re: Fun quotes about war - You can support the troops but not the president

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/05 at 12:16 pm

"You can support the troops but not the president."
--Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"Well, I just think it's a bad idea. What's going to happen is they're going to be over there for 10, 15, maybe 20 years."
--Joe Scarborough (R-FL)

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"
--Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

" President . . . is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."
--Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."
--Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."
--Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of George W Bush

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning . . I didn't think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."
--Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarified rules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our over-extended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"
--Rep Tom Delay (R-TX)

oh... these are about Clinton... sorry, I guess the opinion of these politicans has changed again

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."
--Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)

Touche.

Can you say "Flip-flop"?

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 08/18/05 at 12:58 pm

Interesting.  And I am sure I can find reverse flip-flops from the Democratic camp.  So what?  You are just proving that politicians try play political games with our servicemembers.

And where were all of you now who scream against Bush 8 years ago?  How many of you were screaming against Clinton when he got us involved in Yugoslavia and Somalia?  How many screamed in protest when Clinton launched air strikes and cruise missles against Iraq?  I bet most of you were silent.

Myself, I supported both actions.  You see, bad people in the world need to be stopped, by force if nessicary.  I place the lives of people above the desire to bash a political opponent.

In fact, the only thing I complained about was when Clinton put that "Military Gag Order" in place on servicemembers.  I never questioned the need to go in and stop genocide and mass killings of civilians.

Written By: Satish on 08/18/05 at 9:04 pm

And where were all of you now who scream against Bush 8 years ago?  How many of you were screaming against Clinton when he got us involved in Yugoslavia and Somalia?  How many screamed in protest when Clinton launched air strikes and cruise missles against Iraq?  I bet most of you were silent.

There was a great deal of protest against Clinton's air strikes on Iraq. Remember all those people who heckled Madeline Albright at town hall meetings?

And many people on the left opposed the air strikes against Yugoslavia in 1999, as well. While they were happening, a very left wing publication in my hometown printed several pieces denouncing what they viewed as an unnecessary use of force.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/18/05 at 9:24 pm

There was a great deal of protest against Clinton's air strikes on Iraq. Remember all those people who heckled Madeline Albright at town hall meetings?

And many people on the left opposed the air strikes against Yugoslavia in 1999, as well. While they were happening, a very left wing publication in my hometown printed several pieces denouncing what they viewed as an unnecessary use of force.

You will always have a "peace at any cost" fringe out there.  In much the same way you will always have a "blow them all up and let God sort them out" fringe.

Believe me when I say that I am neither of those!  To me, the use of military force is a last resort.  It should also never be used for any reason, other then to protect the lives of people (both in the US, and abroad).  If I really believed that this was a "war for oil", I would be against it myself.  Having been in the military for 10 years, the last thing I would have wanted to do is to risk my life in order to give greater profits to others.

Clinton was involved in 2 major military actions, Yugoslavia and Somalia.  I strongly supported both actions.  I even remember fighting with my father-in-law, who was much more Conservative then I am.  All I saw was that in both places Genocide was happening, and it needed to be stopped.  If anything, I thought CLinton did not go far enough.  I thought he had not learned from our mistakes in Lebanon in the 1980's, and repeated a lot of them.  But I never disagreed with the need to be there, nor the cause.

His strikes on Iraq I questioned partially.  I questioned the timing, but not the need.

In fact, the last militay action I can say that I wuestioned the need for was when the US Army sent troops down to Honduras.  That action I am talking about was way back during the Reagan Administration!

In fact, I have talked in here before how we need to be involved in more areas (mostly because the UN is to frapping lazy or apathetic to do anything about it).  The most horrendous crime in my mind is genocide.  It is happening all over in Africa now, and nobody seems to give a damn.

Hey, Bob Geldolf, instead of having "Live 8" to tell people to stop African Hunger, how about having a "Life 9" concert, urging the world to do something about genocide?  If you do that, then the farmers can return to the fields, and stop a lot of the poverty.  It is hard for a farmer to grow food for his family, when the local warlord puts a gun in his hand and forces him to fight the neighbors to the South.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/05 at 10:23 pm

Quotes can be fun.

Who said it, Cindy Sheehan or David Duke?

Did you put those together?  Very clever!
So does this mean Sheehan is a white supremecist?
???

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/23/05 at 6:57 am

Interesting.  And I am sure I can find reverse flip-flops from the Democratic camp.  So what?  You are just proving that politicians try play political games with our servicemembers.

And where were all of you now who scream against Bush 8 years ago?  How many of you were screaming against Clinton when he got us involved in Yugoslavia and Somalia?  How many screamed in protest when Clinton launched air strikes and cruise missles against Iraq?  I bet most of you were silent.

Myself, I supported both actions.  You see, bad people in the world need to be stopped, by force if nessicary.  I place the lives of people above the desire to bash a political opponent.

In fact, the only thing I complained about was when Clinton put that "Military Gag Order" in place on servicemembers.  I never questioned the need to go in and stop genocide and mass killings of civilians.

here's the difference.  3 years after those wars (fought with the support of the UN) we no longer have 100.000+ troops stationed in those countries.  How many US soldiers were killed in action in those conflicts?  Notice how the politicans instantly drew comparisions to Vietnam in those quotes, but cry bloody murder when similar comparisions are made to the current war?  Did the US left come out and call everyone who spoke out against those conflicts traitors to the country (like the right did when the Iraq war was questioned)?

Written By: Mushroom on 08/23/05 at 4:07 pm

here's the difference.  3 years after those wars (fought with the support of the UN) we no longer have 100.000+ troops stationed in those countries.  How many US soldiers were killed in action in those conflicts?  Notice how the politicans instantly drew comparisions to Vietnam in those quotes, but cry bloody murder when similar comparisions are made to the current war?  Did the US left come out and call everyone who spoke out against those conflicts traitors to the country (like the right did when the Iraq war was questioned)?

Our leaving Somalia (along with the UN) I feel is a disgrace.  It is estimated that between 20,000-1000,000 have died in fighting since the pullout.  The warlords still controll the country, and the people are the ones that suffer.  That was Osama's first victory, and he proved his belief that if you want to force the US out of an area, just kill a few dozen of it servicemembers.  Then they tuck their tail between their legs and run away.

But it does not matter, Genocide in other countries do not seem to bother people anymore.  As long as it is not our people being killed.  And unlike some with no stomach, I did not scream for a pull-out when the "Blackhawk Down" incident occured.  I thought we should have gone in with even more force.

Instead, we now have a warlord who is benefiting from his experience as a US Marine who is controlling the area where his father once ruled.  Hussein Mohamed Aidid has been just as bloodthirsty as his father was.

Check for new replies or respond here...