» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Guinea Pig Kids

Written By: danootaandme on 08/19/05 at 7:26 am

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_world/4038375.stm

It was found that some of these kids "may not have been HIV positive, but were only presumed to be", and were used in the experiment anyway. Many died.

New York's HIV experiment
By Jamie Doran
Reporter/producer, Guinea Pig Kids

HIV positive children and their loved ones have few rights if they choose to battle with social work authorities in New York City.
Incarnation Children's Center, Harlem
Jacklyn Hoerger worked at the Incarnation Children's Center

Jacklyn Hoerger's job was to treat children with HIV at a New York children's home.
But nobody had told her that the drugs she was administering were experimental and highly toxic.
"We were told that if they were vomiting, if they lost their ability to walk, if they were having diarrhoea, if they were dying, then all of this was because of their HIV infection."
In fact it was the drugs that were making the children ill and the children had been enrolled on the secret trials without their relatives' or guardians' knowledge.

Subject: Re: Guinea Pig Kids

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/19/05 at 2:36 pm

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/this_world/4038375.stm

It was found that some of these kids "may not have been HIV positive, but were only presumed to be", and were used in the experiment anyway. Many died.

New York's HIV experiment
By Jamie Doran
Reporter/producer, Guinea Pig Kids

HIV positive children and their loved ones have few rights if they choose to battle with social work authorities in New York City.
Incarnation Children's Center, Harlem
Jacklyn Hoerger worked at the Incarnation Children's Center

Jacklyn Hoerger's job was to treat children with HIV at a New York children's home.
But nobody had told her that the drugs she was administering were experimental and highly toxic.
"We were told that if they were vomiting, if they lost their ability to walk, if they were having diarrhoea, if they were dying, then all of this was because of their HIV infection."
In fact it was the drugs that were making the children ill and the children had been enrolled on the secret trials without their relatives' or guardians' knowledge.

I note that this took place in HARLEM and NOT in Scarsdale.  Why am I not surprised?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/19/05 at 2:59 pm

It's the Tuskegee experiements all over again!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/05 at 5:12 pm

"Yeah, yer boy's sick, he got AIDS, that's why he's coughin' up blood!  Next please...."

I can't believe they still try to pull off this kind of routine.  As DC points out, this is Harlem, not the Upper West Side, and Tanya mentions the Tuskegee experiments.
Remember this baby, from right here in Massachusetts, the Fernald School in Belmont in the 1950s:
Atomic oatmeal for retarded children!
:P

http://www.eh.doe.gov/ohre/roadmap/achre/chap7_5.html

Written By: Dagwood on 08/19/05 at 7:35 pm

That is awful.  Someone needs to take those so called doctors and string them up by their toenails.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/05 at 6:16 am

The documentary "Guinea Pig Kids" was made by a British filmmaker,  It is devastating.  In some cases children in the system were removed from parents who would not allow the treatment and put into homes that would.  They said they parents were negligent for not allowing the "treatment".  All these "treatments" were trials, not yet approved by the FDA.  90% of the children were African-American or Latino(who is it who thinks there isn't a problem with institutionalized racism.).  I quess affirmative action for minorities is ok as long as it is something that kills your kid.  I haven't seen anything in the mainstream media in the USA.  Much like "Titicut Follies"  I am sure the censors just don't want to  'upset '  the families of the victims  ???
Here is another link that tells more.
www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/22/151230

Written By: Mushroom on 08/20/05 at 6:57 am

I definately have problems with this.  I have problems in general with the "Child Welfare" system.  Whenever a government body thinks it can do a better job of raising your children then you do, there is a problem.  And having been caught in the system first hand, I can understand why these felt like they were Gods, with powers over life and death.

But to throw in something less sensationalizing, I did not read what the medications were?  Chemotherapy drugs are also considered to be "highly toxic", as well as most drugs used in the "HIV Cocktails" that are used by people like Magic Johnson.  And as for "experimental treatments", all HIV treatments are "experimental".

I think there is a problem here.  I also think there needs to be an investigation.  But I also like to have more reasonable information before I pass any kind of judgement.  The amount of hard indormation in that article is somewhat lacking, due to the sensationalized natore of the report.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/05 at 8:09 am

But to throw in something less sensationalizing, I did not read what the medications were?  Chemotherapy drugs are also considered to be "highly toxic", as well as most drugs used in the "HIV Cocktails" that are used by people like Magic Johnson.  And as for "experimental treatments", all HIV treatments are "experimental".

It must be stressed that when the parents or guardians refused to have the children be a part of this the state removed them from the home and gave them the drugs.

This is in the interview on the second posting I made:

JAMIE DORAN:  There are enormously serious side effects from these drugs. You should also be clear that we're talking about up to 20 drugs in a single cocktail given to individual children. We're talking about drugs like didanozine, which is a very toxic drug; zidovudine, which is the famous azt which can cause severe anemia; nevirapine, that's the drug that’s been known to cause Steven Johnson's Syndrome, which is an enormously painful flaking of the skin. I mean, I’ve seen pictures myself, and it’s as if a young child has just been pulled from a terrible fire. And they’re giving these cocktails of drugs to these kids,

VERA SHARAV:...The trials were phase one and phase two. That means they are highly experimental safety studies. They're examining the safety of the drugs in children, often testing them in children for the first time....Our question was, why did these children not receive the best standard care that was available at the time? That is their right. They should not because they're vulnerable, because they're wards of the state be simply taken and used as a means to an end. ...the skip and jump between a clinical trial and clinical care -- there is a huge gap there because the unknown is there. Secondly, many of these drugs, and we have, you know, the adverse effects are as Jamie said, quite horrendous. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/20/05 at 1:45 pm

This remionds me on an icident during the late 60's in Peru where a Peace Corps MD decided that the women in an indian village should have only 2 kids each, and sterilized them after their second birth.  The village elders found out ans casterated the MD's with their own scalples. 

Written By: danootaandme on 08/21/05 at 7:14 am

This remionds me on an icident during the late 60's in Peru where a Peace Corps MD decided that the women in an indian village should have only 2 kids each, and sterilized them after their second birth.  The village elders found out ans casterated the MD's with their own scalples. 

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!
I must add that these tests were made in Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, New York, North Carolina, and Texas.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/05 at 12:24 am

Did that really happen? 

I can imagine the docs trying to bargain as the blades inched closer.  "No, I mean, three children!  Four?  Tell you what, as many as you like, only just don't...YOW WOW OW OWEEEE!!!"
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...