» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: New Orleans Hospitality

Written By: danootaandme on 08/29/05 at 12:19 pm

It seems that there were people turned away from the Superdome.  Where do they go?  It also used to 'be that the hotels would open their doors to locals who needed shelter, but this time, the worst storm in 40 years, they didn't.  >:(

Subject: Re: New Orleans Hospitality

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/29/05 at 2:23 pm

Good Christians all, no doubt.  But can you blame them?  What hotel owner would like his lobby filled with the poor, the homeless, the old, or the feeble? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/05 at 10:59 pm

Good Christians all, no doubt.  But can you blame them?  What hotel owner would like his lobby filled with the poor, the homeless, the old, or the feeble? 

They didn't open their doors for Mary and Joseph either, but if a barn was good enough for our Lord and Savior's birth it's good enough for you!

But that's neither here nor there.

I don't know the story behind why people were turned away from the Superdome.  It seems to me most of the hotels were too devestated for habitation of any kind.  Again, I didn't hear the full story on this.

Written By: Jessica on 08/31/05 at 2:30 am

I don't know the story behind why people were turned away from the Superdome.  It seems to me most of the hotels were too devestated for habitation of any kind.  Again, I didn't hear the full story on this.

That's what I'm thinking. I know most places (even snotty hotels) will open up in storms, but maybe they figured their place of business wouldn't survive that storm. And from the looks of it, they didn't. :-\\

As for the Superdome...I don't know what was up with that. You'd think that would've been the first place that would have been more open to the refugees. :P

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 7:09 am

The super dome took some massave damage.  Have any of you not seen the shots of it from the air, with half of it's roof ripped off?

And there are currently 10,000 people takinf refuge in the building.  Heaven knows how they will take care of all those people.  No power, no water, no sewage.

(Correction:  30 minutes after I wrote this, I learned that they are allowing more people into the Dome.  At the moment, there are now more then 16,000 people in the dome, with more lined up outside.  How long will it be until disease starts to sweep through the survivors?)

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 8:36 am

I thought I saw on the news last night that the Superdome was flooding?  I was just watching bits and pieces while trying to fix my sons' computer, though, so I may have misheard ???

No, you heard right.  The damage in the roof allows water to come in, and the floodwaters cover the parking lot.  Most of the lot is under 5' of water.  They have sandbags around the entrances to keep out the worst of the water, and are useing pumps to try and keep it drier inside.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 10:28 am

Breaking news:

The city of Houston is opening it's doors to survivors of the hurricane.

They are going to bus in the 15-20,000 people who are in the SuperDome to the AstroDome.  The close sporting arena is estimated to be able to hold 25,000 refugees for a prolonged period of time.  And the Texas National Guard is already being mobalized to give assistance to the refugees.

The SuperDome will continue to operate as an assembly point, where people can go until transportation can take them to Texas.

The SuperDome is barely habitable.  The high water is causing toilets to overflow, adding more mess to the first floor, which is under 1-3' of water.  15,000 people are trying to get by in the SuperDome, 90 degree heat, high humidity, and no water or sanitary facilities.

Written By: jackas on 08/31/05 at 11:05 am

You are exactly right.  Most of the hotels in the area are damaged and if they are not damaged they are full of evacuees already.  Not only that, many of the people who run these hotels are going through the same situation.  They also have family to take care of and houses that are no longer habitable.

My suggestion is that if any of you have never been through a disaster like this you may want to keep your unfair comments to yourself.  You can't possible understand what it is like.

If you any of you would like to help you may look into some of the following:

http://www.catcountry987.com/ohoh.html

http://www.redcross.org/

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

http://www.unitedwayescambia.org/

Written By: Tam on 08/31/05 at 11:23 am

Exactly right Chrissy!

Right now on CNN, Carnival Cruise Lines are trying to figure out a way to get one of their cruise ships to the region in order to house Refugees. Also, surrounding areas in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama (that aren't flooded) are taking in as many people as possible.
My prayers and thoughts go out to everyone in this devastation.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 11:44 am

Exactly right Chrissy!

Right now on CNN, Carnival Cruise Lines are trying to figure out a way to get one of their cruise ships to the region in order to house Refugees. Also, surrounding areas in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama (that aren't flooded) are taking in as many people as possible.
My prayers and thoughts go out to everyone in this devastation.

We started to get refugees on Sunday.  I stopped at McDonalds after I got my glasses fixed Monday morning, and the parking lot was filled with cars from Louisiana and Mississippi.  Last night I stopped at Wall-Mart, and saw 4 RVs camping in the lot, with Louisiana plates.  There was even a sign up telling people with RVs that they would allow camping, and what churches in the area were providing showers and other aid.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/31/05 at 12:57 pm

Considering the amount of damage smacked down on New Orleans, I think they're lucky that the SuperDome is even partially operational.  Not to mention the hotels that didn't get destroyed.  I find this thread to be in poor taste considering the circumstances.  But that's just me.

I don't pretend to understand what it's like down there right now, and I would not presume as to tell people what to do in this situation.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 1:59 pm

Considering the amount of damage smacked down on New Orleans, I think they're lucky that the SuperDome is even partially operational.  Not to mention the hotels that didn't get destroyed.  I find this thread to be in poor taste considering the circumstances.  But that's just me.

I don't pretend to understand what it's like down there right now, and I would not presume as to tell people what to do in this situation.

Well, some people just spout-off from emotion, without looking at the reality.

The SuperDome has over 15,000 people in it, is leaking, ground floor partially under water, and raw sewage leaking up through the plumbing.  There is no power, not enough water, and no aid to give to people.  It is no surprise that they are telling people to look for aid elsewhere, there was no more they could do this morning.

Now however, it is the central point for the migration of refugees.  They will be taking in people until transportation is available to Texas, and other places still to be determined.

Written By: nally on 08/31/05 at 2:26 pm

I wonder where they're gonna take people now.. :-\\ :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/05 at 2:35 pm

It is really going to take a cooperative effort of government and business to stave off mass disease and civic unrest.
Cruise lines, hotels, churches, hospitals, retail chains, private citizens and so forth will need to work hand in hand to provide shelter, food, and relief.
It is a noble gesture for private business to donate resources, but probably the feds should offer something in the way of tax relief and remuneration so businesses can recuperate from their losses.
They really need to evacuate the Superdome.  That's going to become a sickness-ridden h*ll-hole within 72 hours.

I feel heartsick about this catastrophe.  I don't feel the fear of the unknown as I did after 9/11, but it's really wrenching to see such devastation.  
:\'( :\'( :\'(

On the other hand, these are the times when you see the human spirit at its most admirable as people do rise to meet Herculean challenges.  In a way, there's a kind of relief that comes with perseverance.  If you can deal with your worst nightmare coming true, it makes other hardships seem easy by comparison.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 4:47 pm

On the other hand, these are the times when you see the human spirit at its most admirable as people do rise to meet Herculean challenges.  In a way, there's a kind of relief that comes with perseverance.  If you can deal with your worst nightmare coming true, it makes other hardships seem easy by comparison.

One thing that struck me today was how Fox was reporting this.  I was switching all day between Weather, CNN, and Fox.

Fox was the only one that had somebody on that freeway bridge north of the "project".  They were showing the hundreds of people collecting on the bridge.  The reporter on the scene was constantly begging for people to send assistance to the bridge.

They also showed a lot of footage of people going back out to rescue others.  Now this area is primarily black.  And they spent a lot of time showing and talking about these heroes.  One guy they showed was about to go back out for the 5th time to bring back people who were stranded.  You saw 4 young black guys rushing out to help an old lady with a shopping cart filled with her remaining possessions make it to the bridge.  It is nice to see that the story is not all about looters, but about true heroes, people doing the right thing and helping others instead of just helping themselves.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/05 at 7:36 pm

One thing that struck me today was how Fox was reporting this.  I was switching all day between Weather, CNN, and Fox.

Fox was the only one that had somebody on that freeway bridge north of the "project".  They were showing the hundreds of people collecting on the bridge.  The reporter on the scene was constantly begging for people to send assistance to the bridge.

They also showed a lot of footage of people going back out to rescue others.  Now this area is primarily black.  And they spent a lot of time showing and talking about these heroes.  One guy they showed was about to go back out for the 5th time to bring back people who were stranded.  You saw 4 young black guys rushing out to help an old lady with a shopping cart filled with her remaining possessions make it to the bridge.  It is nice to see that the story is not all about looters, but about true heroes, people doing the right thing and helping others instead of just helping themselves.

Within a week FOX will be accusing "liberals" of "politicizing" Katrina, and O'Reilly will be taking potshots at the Red Cross.
Oh, and I guess now that Katrina's here, Natalee doesn't matter anymore!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/01/05 at 7:13 am

Within a week FOX will be accusing "liberals" of "politicizing" Katrina, and O'Reilly will be taking potshots at the Red Cross.

I'll politicize it.  The people, the Salvation Army, Red Cross, and all the other assorted groups are a god send these areas.  Now if FEMA would get busy maybe the efforts could be coordinated.  I hate to see those people on the side of the road with out anything for three days, three days.  It is breaking my heart.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/02/05 at 10:59 pm

They just released those creeps who were suspected in her disappearance.

I'm sure they were happy about Hurricane Katrina.  >:(

Written By: nally on 09/03/05 at 2:08 am

Today (actually yesterday now) on the news, I saw that the President finally came out to visit the damaged area. ::) I guess he's not too concerned about the folks getting killed in Iraq anymore

Written By: jackas on 09/03/05 at 2:43 am

Today (actually yesterday now) on the news, I saw that the President finally came out to visit the damaged area. ::) I guess he's not too concerned about the folks getting killed in Iraq anymore

WTF?  >:(

I know, we'll split ole George in half.  One half will take care of Iraq and the other will take care of this crisis in LA and MS.  Would that make him perfect enough??

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/05 at 5:34 am

WTF?  >:(

I know, we'll split ole George in half.  One half will take care of Iraq and the other will take care of this crisis in LA and MS.  Would that make him perfect enough??

He hasn't done either job well.  On vacation for 5 weeks attending fundraisers and parties while we are at war and going throught the biggest natural disaster in the nations history.  Whole or in halves the only place he has taken care of business is in his pants pockets.

Written By: jackas on 09/03/05 at 11:55 pm

He hasn't done either job well.  On vacation for 5 weeks attending fundraisers and parties while we are at war and going throught the biggest natural disaster in the nations history.  Whole or in halves the only place he has taken care of business is in his pants pockets.

Why are you quoting me?  Did you see me say that George is doing a great job?  I don't think I said that.  Wait, let me check...................................nope, didn't say that.  Let me ask you something since you brought it up.  Do you think if Bush was at the White House the last 5 weeks that things would be any different in Iraq or on the Gulf Coast?  Or are you just worried about how it "looks".

Written By: Tam on 09/05/05 at 11:16 pm

I have a question that has been bothering me since the destruction of Katrina was first realized.

Insurance policies are going to come good for a lot of what has been destroyed in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama...
Providing that the businesses and individuals HAVE insurance.

I would hope that those who did not have insurance are going to be covered by the amounts of money being raised...
Or am I wrong in thinking this?

(That is to say if New Orleans is as predominantly poor as is being relayed by the media - then they surely would not have had the funds to acquire and have continuous insurance)

Written By: jackas on 09/05/05 at 11:22 pm

I have a question that has been bothering me since the destruction of Katrina was first realized.

Insurance policies are going to come good for a lot of what has been destroyed in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama...
Providing that the businesses and individuals HAVE insurance.

I would hope that those who did not have insurance are going to be covered by the amounts of money being raised...
Or am I wrong in thinking this?

(That is to say if New Orleans is as predominantly poor as is being relayed by the media - then they surely would not have had the funds to acquire and have continuous insurance)

You know what really sucks is that floods aren't covered by standard insurance.  You have to have separate flood insurance.  I doubt many of them actually had flood insurance.  There are organizations that help out like FEMA.  I'm not sure how much they really pay for though.

Written By: Tam on 09/05/05 at 11:24 pm

You know what really sucks is that floods aren't covered by standard insurance.  You have to have separate flood insurance.  I doubt many of them actually had flood insurance.  There are organizations that help out like FEMA.  I'm not sure how much they really pay for though.

I know our home owners insurance doesn't cover floods so we had to take out Flood Insurance. The price is absolutely INSANE!!!
I would hope that FEMA would help because those who didnt have the insurance are basically without now....

Written By: jackas on 09/05/05 at 11:28 pm

I know our home owners insurance doesn't cover floods so we had to take out Flood Insurance. The price is absolutely INSANE!!!
I would hope that FEMA would help because those who didnt have the insurance are basically without now....

I hope so too.  I'm sure the government will try to help out a little more than usual being that this was such a catastrophic disaster. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/05 at 11:29 pm

New Orleans is predominantly poor, a fact generally ignored by the media until the aftermath of Katrina.

Written By: Tam on 09/05/05 at 11:31 pm

New Orleans is predominantly poor, a fact generally ignored by the media until the aftermath of Katrina.

Understood Max.... IYO will FEMA help those peeps out then or are they going to be left to their own devices?

Written By: Dagwood on 09/06/05 at 6:22 pm

I'm with you, Tam.  This January St George and the surrounding area was beat up pretty bad by floods.  Houses that were a football field away from a river fell into the river.  One city was completely cut off because it is on an island and the roads were washed away.  Flood insurance wasn't common there and alot of people lost everything.  If I remember right, FEMA finally did help individuals but it was like pulling teeth.  At first they said their funds were to rebuild cities, not for indivuals.  And these people are alot more affluent than those in NO.  I can't imagine how bad it is going to be for the NO people.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/05 at 6:47 pm

At first they said their funds were to rebuild cities, not for indivuals.  And these people are alot more affluent than those in NO.  I can't imagine how bad it is going to be for the NO people.

Well, Barbara Bush seems to think that this since the majority of the people from New Orleans had so little that this
"will work out well for them".  Poor choice of words

Written By: Tam on 09/06/05 at 7:10 pm

I'm with you, Tam.  This January St George and the surrounding area was beat up pretty bad by floods.  Houses that were a football field away from a river fell into the river.  One city was completely cut off because it is on an island and the roads were washed away.  Flood insurance wasn't common there and alot of people lost everything.  If I remember right, FEMA finally did help individuals but it was like pulling teeth.  At first they said their funds were to rebuild cities, not for indivuals.  And these people are alot more affluent than those in NO.  I can't imagine how bad it is going to be for the NO people.

Thanks Dag!
I am hoping that it will be a lot less like pulling teeth and more like what the tooth fairy actually leaves behind.
All the people of NO are without and my hopes are that a lot of the funds being raised will not only go towards rebuilding and cleaning the city, but also to the residents who have lost everything!

Check for new replies or respond here...