» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: New Orleans - Racist news from Yahoo?

Written By: Taoist on 08/31/05 at 4:20 am

Looters 1
Looters 2
Looters 3

Your started for 10, guess the skin colour/ethnicity  of the editor

Subject: Re: New Orleans - Racist news from Yahoo?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/31/05 at 4:22 am

Error
Error
Error

:D

Written By: Taoist on 08/31/05 at 4:22 am

Error
Error
Error

Oops, fixed them!

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 7:42 am

There has already been coverage of the looters.

For the most part, the Police are taking the same response that the Police in Florida take.

As long as they are looting food, the Police are not going to get involved.  When they loot personal property (houses) or non-food items (televisions, money, etc), then they will make arrests.

Of the 3 shots, 2 of them were taking food.  I can understand that, because who is there to sell them food?  They need to eat after all.

Now the guy looting the bucket of beer, he needs to be dealt with.  That is not survival, that is theft.

Written By: Taoist on 08/31/05 at 10:04 am

Hey, beer is food, isn't it ???  JUST KIDDING!!! ;D ;D

Actually, beer (especially the weak cr*p they sell in the states ;)) is as legitimate to "loot" as bottled water.  In a disaster such as New Orleans, that may be all there is to drink.
As for TVs, etc, I totally agree with arresting the thieves!

Written By: jackas on 08/31/05 at 10:16 am

Can someone please tell me why this is "racist" news?

Written By: karen on 08/31/05 at 10:19 am

jacks

have you clicked on the links?  The first two show pictures of black people carrying food items where the caption is about them being looters.  The third photo is of a white couple where the caption is about them helping ythemselves to necessary supplies or something.  Thus implying that the first two are criminals whilst the others are not.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 10:24 am

jacks

have you clicked on the links?テ窶堙つ The first two show pictures of black people carrying food items where the caption is about them being looters.テ窶堙つ The third photo is of a white couple where the caption is about them helping ythemselves to necessary supplies or something.テ窶堙つ Thus implying that the first two are criminals whilst the others are not.

Did you check the sources for the images?

The first 2 are from AP, the last one is from AFP.

Now if all 3 were from the same agency (with the same company making the captions), then you might have a case.  But the captions were written by different agencies, by different reporters.  It is like comparing apples to oranges.

Written By: karen on 08/31/05 at 10:52 am

Did you check the sources for the images?

The first 2 are from AP, the last one is from AFP.

Now if all 3 were from the same agency (with the same company making the captions), then you might have a case.テ窶堙つ But the captions were written by different agencies, by different reporters.テ窶堙つ It is like comparing apples to oranges.

Maybe Taoist assumed they were by the same editor because they were posted on Yahoo news and hadn't picked up on the subtleties of the AP/AFP thing.テ窶堙つ I know I hadn't.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/05 at 8:05 pm

The real racism is rooted in the reasons why people of color disproportionately poor.  Rich folks aren't likely to rip off consumer electronics from Wal-Mart!

Remember, those retailers are going to write off al that stock, damaged or not, for the insurance settlements.  Those TVs and computers are going to get scrapped anyway.

Looting people's homes and possessions is inexcusable, and far more scary.  I hate hear about these angry and desperate people walking around armed.  A lot of terrible things can happen under such circumstances.

I don't blame people for stealing the beer when there's no fresh water to drink.  Unfortunately, alcohol is dehydrating, so it's a bit counterproductived to chug beer.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/31/05 at 8:08 pm

The real racism is rooted in the reasons why people of color disproportionately poor.テ窶堙つ Rich folks aren't likely to rip off consumer electronics from Wal-Mart!

Remember, those retailers are going to write off al that stock, damaged or not, for the insurance settlements.テ窶堙つ Those TVs and computers are going to get scrapped anyway.

Actually, in most cases "looting" like this is not covered.  It is wrapped up under the "Acts Of God" clause in most insurance policies.  I know a few people who lost everything they owned in the LA Riots.  They got insurance for the damage to the buildings, but not for the stock lost.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/05 at 8:13 pm

Actually, in most cases "looting" like this is not covered.テ窶堙つ It is wrapped up under the "Acts Of God" clause in most insurance policies.テ窶堙つ I know a few people who lost everything they owned in the LA Riots.テ窶堙つ They got insurance for the damage to the buildings, but not for the stock lost.

They'll pay for structural damage, but not lost product?テ窶堙つ I guess that makes sense.テ窶堙つ I wouldn't say God made the dude steal the TV set, but that's the insurance biz for ya!
::)
Exactly where do these folks think they're going to store all this stuff?  How far can you get wading through floodwater carrying a huge TV over your head?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/05 at 6:15 am

Is there anybody left in New Orleans who is civilized and of adult nature?  ???

When I see the news reports from NOLA, all I see are pics of the locals joyfully looting television sets and designer T-shirts, or locals sitting by the road b*tching and moaning abot how someone should chopper them out, instead of taking responsibility to get going.  Some of them were even hassling people in a nursing home.  >:(

Meanwhile, along the rest of the Gulf Coast, you see more people "bucking up" and getting on with it.

Non-food looters should be shot on sight and hung from tree limbs, with their loot, for the world to see.  Then buried with their hard-obtained loot.  And the burial bill (and cost of the loot) deducted from their family's paycheck or welfare check, whatever the case.  Maybe that would send a message.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/01/05 at 7:13 am

When I see the news reports from NOLA, all I see are pics of the locals joyfully looting television sets and designer T-shirts, or locals sitting by the road b*tching and moaning abot how someone should chopper them out, instead of taking responsibility to get going.テ窶堙つ Some of them were even hassling people in a nursing home.テ窶堙つ >:(

It all depends on where the reporters and editors of the news think the story is.  If they think the story is of people looting, then that is what they are going to report.

Apparently Fox News made an editorial stance to not report much more then "there is looting going on".  Most of their reports that featured looting involved the looters being arrested, chased away by police, or the damage after the looters left.  I saw very few scenes on that station of grinning looters walking away with sneakers and guns.

Max is convinced that Fox New is evil.  But seeing the reports from the bridge yesterday was heartwrenching.  The reporter spent most of the day on a bridge, where people were still walking out of the waters.  And as I said before, they showed a lot of people going back into the water to help strangers.  And one guy went back over and over again to look for people.  He was not looking for family or friends, but for anybody that needed help.

And of course, reporters are supposed to report, not get involved.  That reporter found a mother with a 5 day old baby.  The baby was sick, so he had his cameraman stop filming and the two of them stood in front of a police car to make it stop, and had them take the mother and child out of there.  They did not start to film again until after they left.  The only interview they got was of the older children, as they waited for the police to come back and get them.

On most news channels, we heard stories of looters walking over dead bodies to loot homes.  On at least one channel, we saw and heard stories of people helping strangers, who were just as bad off as they were.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/01/05 at 7:20 am

Is there anybody left in New Orleans who is civilized and of adult nature? ???

When I see the news reports from NOLA, all I see are pics of the locals joyfully looting television sets and designer T-shirts, or locals sitting by the road b*tching and moaning abot how someone should chopper them out, instead of taking responsibility to get going. Some of them were even hassling people in a nursing home. >:(

Meanwhile, along the rest of the Gulf Coast, you see more people "bucking up" and getting on with it.

Non-food looters should be shot on sight and hung from tree limbs, with their loot, for the world to see. Then buried with their hard-obtained loot. And the burial bill (and cost of the loot) deducted from their family's paycheck or welfare check, whatever the case. Maybe that would send a message.

I have seen more good stories than bad.  Whenever there is a natural disaster there will be looters.  As sad as it is, that is just how it is. (as for the media, most of them report more bad than good purely for ratings.)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/01/05 at 7:31 am

Is there anybody left in New Orleans who is civilized and of adult nature?  ???

Having family and friends from and in the area around New Orleans I will say unequivocally yes, there are people in and from New Orleans who are of a  civilized and adult nature.  It goes to the title of this post.  There is looting on the gulf coast  and there are people in New Orleans "bucking up"  It is the slanted view of the news that is in error. 

Written By: jackas on 09/01/05 at 8:29 am

Is there anybody left in New Orleans who is civilized and of adult nature?テ窶堙つ ???

When I see the news reports from NOLA, all I see are pics of the locals joyfully looting television sets and designer T-shirts, or locals sitting by the road b*tching and moaning abot how someone should chopper them out, instead of taking responsibility to get going.テ窶堙つ Some of them were even hassling people in a nursing home.テ窶堙つ >:(

Non-food looters should be shot on sight and hung from tree limbs, with their loot, for the world to see.テ窶堙つ Then buried with their hard-obtained loot.テ窶堙つ And the burial bill (and cost of the loot) deducted from their family's paycheck or welfare check, whatever the case.テ窶堙つ Maybe that would send a message.

LOLテ窶堙つ テ窶堙つI like your style, but of course it wouldn't be "humane" to make an example out out someone in such a way. ;D ::)

The thing about disasters like this is that it brings out the best and the worst in people.テ窶堙つ Sure we are seeing the looting, fighting and price gouging at the gas pump.テ窶堙つ What you are not seeing much of is the way people can come together at times like this.テ窶堙つ I live in Pensacola, FL and we were hit hard by Hurricane Ivan, we had neighbors we never talked to coming around to make sure everything was alright.テ窶堙つ There were some people who came through our neighborhood and volunteered to cut up the fallen trees in our yards.テ窶堙つ People who offer their extra rooms to those who no longer have a house.テ窶堙つ テ窶堙つOthers donate their time or money to help.テ窶堙つ Unfortunately a lot of that is not shown on TV.

Written By: PaperGirl on 09/01/05 at 2:14 pm

*clears throat*

Speaking as a member of the media...

The media covers what sells.  Plain and simple.  Think about it.  You see the nightly news, and 2 stories....one about a horrific firey car wreck, and one about a sweet kitty adopted by a 3rd grader. 

MOST people will tune in for the fire, rather than the kitten. 

Yes, the media will cover the kindness and good things that are going on, Ive seen it....but in my journalistic experience....You sell more papers with bad news than you do with good news. 

Its a sad fact of the world today.  I'm guilty of it myself.  Just the other night, I told hubby that I wanted to see the reports on the looters, cause I hadnt been near a TV all day. 

So, you can accuse the media of being biased, racist, or whatever, just remember, its what YOU yourself buy, turn on, or listen to that usually dictates what the media puts out.

Written By: limblifter on 09/01/05 at 2:31 pm

I have a question.

What are news agencies supposed to do when they are reporting looters? Are they supposed to say to themselves "Wait, we can't film this, there are more blacks and hispanics than whites looting here". "Lets go somewhere where there are an equal amount of races before we report it"?

Written By: jackas on 09/01/05 at 2:39 pm

I have a question.

What are news agencies supposed to do when they are reporting looters? Are they supposed to say to themselves "Wait, we can't film this, there are more blacks and hispanics than whites looting here". "Lets go somewhere where there are an equal amount of races before we report it"?

;D  Exactly!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/01/05 at 2:55 pm

I have a question.

Because to some people, the perception is more important then the truth.  I am not meaning to imply that blacks loot any more then other races, simply that they loot as well.

I saw that myself in LA in 1992.  While the riots and looting started in black neighborhoods, it soon spread through the entire city.  By the end of that week of madness, everybody was looting.  Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Whites, everybody.  I saw riots in LA after the 2 Laker wins.  Once again, everybody was doing it.

The news media is concentraded in the Black areas of New Orleans.  Thie areas of town most damaged have been "Black Neighborhoods" for well over 100 years.  This is the area that was the birthplace of Jazz and Blues.  Satchmo, Muddy Waters, and Scott Joplin played in the areas devistated.  When large areas of the South were under horrible "Jim Crowe" laws, New Orlenas was almost an island of acceptance in the region.  Is it any wonder that so many blacks live there today?

And with any large community, there is a "thug element".  I am sure that if this had happened in Miami, you would have seen Cuban looters.  If this had happened in Portland Oregon, you would have seen white looters.  Some looting was for survival.  And sadly, some was for profit and gain.  The shooting of military helecopters and rescuers is proof that there is a "thug element" in the region.  But it is foolish (and wrong) to assume that is anything but the actions of a moronic minority in the area.  Most are more concerned on their survival, and the survival of their neighbors, friends and loved ones.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/05 at 4:57 pm

As Don Rumsfeld would say, there is no looting, they're just showing the same guy stealing the same TV set over and over again!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/01/05 at 5:13 pm

I haven't watched much of this, but I did see some coverage yesterday of these two guys stealing food, and a police officer with a .10 gauge shotgun pointed it at one them and he dropped the food and ran.

Personally I'd go back to my home, if I lived there, and camp out with a gun and not let anyone near my house.  Nothing bothers me more than people thinking they can steal my hard-earned goods.

The police failed on these looters, they should have started arresting them from the beginning before it escalated into the problem it is now.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/01/05 at 7:02 pm

I have a question.

they can put all non-treated (meaning "edited") images on air. As a thankfully former member of the media, it's what they do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/05 at 7:43 pm

I haven't watched much of this, but I did see some coverage yesterday of these two guys stealing food, and a police officer with a .10 gauge shotgun pointed it at one them and he dropped the food and ran.

Personally I'd go back to my home, if I lived there, and camp out with a gun and not let anyone near my house.テ窶堙つ Nothing bothers me more than people thinking they can steal my hard-earned goods.

The police failed on these looters, they should have started arresting them from the beginning before it escalated into the problem it is now.

Did the police themselves fail, or did the higher-ups fail?  It seems like the cops wanted to arrest the looters, but they had bigger worries and not enough manpower.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 3:13 am

I don't know either. Trying to rescue people who are in immediate danger and moving people out of harm's way is obviously less important than arresting a black guy for stealing a can of beans to feed himself. Obviously.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/02/05 at 3:46 am

I don't know either. Trying to rescue people who are in immediate danger and moving people out of harm's way is obviously less important than arresting a black guy for stealing a can of beans to feed himself. Obviously.

Most of these people can leave anytime.  And who said the thieves were black?  And who said they were stealing food?  And when did stealing become right, in ANY case?

Written By: karen on 09/02/05 at 3:52 am

I have a question.

The point of the original post was that there were three practically identical photographs.  Only in the photos showing black people were they described as looters.  In the photo of a white couple they were helping themselves to necessary supplies or something similar.  I can't recall the exact wording and can't now check because the photos have been withdrawn because of complaints about the racist bias in the reports.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 4:46 am

Most of these people can leave anytime.テ窶堙つ And who said the thieves were black?テ窶堙つ

You have no conception of irony.

And who said they were stealing food?

You did:

And when did stealing become right, in ANY case?

When you have a hungry mouth to feed, and you've been sitting around waiting for your glorious President to do something for three days, and he still hasn't, you begin to lose your sense of right and wrong, and begin to care more about your own survival.

It's all right for you to carry on about what's right and wrong. You're probably sitting in your home or office, surrounded by your "hard-earned possessions" and able to ring for take-out. There are thousands of people in NO right now who have just lost everything, have no food, clean water or medicine, and have been sitting around for three days waiting for help because Bush under-estimated the threat. As usual. And, as usual, you've missed the point. Which is, the authorities should be doing more to help people who are starving and in pain, and worry less about Wal-mart being done over.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/05 at 6:43 am

Most of these people can leave anytime. 

You don't really have a handle on what is going on down there now do you.  People are in fact being forced to stay.  They are being turned back if they try to walk out of the area, and sadly for 99.9 percent of the people walking is the only option, in 90+ humid Louisiana heat without water.

Written By: jackas on 09/02/05 at 9:08 am

you've been sitting around waiting for your glorious President to do something for three days, and he still hasn't,

This is a BS statement..........I don't know what news you are watching, but our "glorious President" has been working on this.  I guess nothing he does will matter unless he is down there literally feeding people himself.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/02/05 at 9:51 am

You don't really have a handle on what is going on down there now do you.テ窶堙つ People are in fact being forced to stay.テ窶堙つ They are being turned back if they try to walk out of the area, and sadly for 99.9 percent of the people walking is the only option, in 90+ humid Louisiana heat without water.

Well, maybe if they had left before the hurricane hit, they would be better off.  It is not like they had no warning that it was comming.  It is not like they were not told to evacuate.

Written By: PaperGirl on 09/02/05 at 3:00 pm

Well, maybe if they had left before the hurricane hit, they would be better off.テ窶堙つ It is not like they had no warning that it was comming.テ窶堙つ It is not like they were not told to evacuate.

People TRIED to leave...the freeways were jam packed and crawling at a snails pace...other people had no where to go....Think about it..  What if you had no car, no money, no way to get either on short notice, what in the hell could you do? 

Yes, there was supposedly plenty of time to get out of there, but for alot of those people, getting out of there was simply not an option.  There was no way they COULD leave...

And for the ones that DID make it out...they really arent in any better shape.  They may have gotten OUT, but whats left for them to come back to?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/02/05 at 3:33 pm

You did:

No I didn't.  I said I saw footage of two people stealing food, I didn't say that everybody was stealing food.

Which is, the authorities should be doing more to help people who are starving and in pain, and worry less about Wal-mart being done over.

So now stealing televisions from Wal-Mart is for the peoples' survival?

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 4:10 pm

No I didn't.テ窶堙つ I said I saw footage of two people stealing food, I didn't say that everybody was stealing food.

Again, you miss the point. But you always do.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 4:13 pm

This is a BS statement..........I don't know what news you are watching, but our "glorious President" has been working on this.テ窶堙つ

Has he now? I suppose that's why even his own arch-Conservative buddies have been falling on their own swords due to his inaction on this.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,12631.0.html

It seems he can do a wonderful job protecting America by bombing Arabs in a country thousands of miles away, but when Americans start having to kill each other to survive in their own country after a natural disaster that's been on the cards for years and was predicted for weeks, he hasn't got a bloody clue what to do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/05 at 4:21 pm

THE REAL RACIST NEWS AND RACIST VIEWS

Rush Limbaugh mused over why the white population of New Orleans was able to get out, and the black population was not. テ窶堙つ
He asked haughtily, "what's the matter with those Black people, why don't they have cars?"
Bravo, Rush, what a man of the people (yeah, the loaded white people on the links!)

Rush also scoffed that the "liberals" were able to get "those people" テ窶堙つpeople out to the polls to vote, テ窶堙つbut they didn't care to get them out of New Orleans when it was a matter of life and death.

What a sick and bizarre thing to say. テ窶堙つRush is not a smart man, but he sure is noisy!
First of all, I wish the liberals were able to get all the poor people and people of of color to come out and vote their interests on election day. テ窶堙つIf they did vote with all the strength of their numbers, the Republican party would be "a national party no more. テ窶堙つ Secondly, by his own phraseology, Rush admits the conservatives DID NOT try to to get, ahem, those people out to vote. テ窶堙つHe affirms what we all know, Republicans don't want Black people to vote, so they don't encourage it.
Rush also indicates that the Republicans don't fancy it their job to help poor people--even when they're the governing party and it's during the worst natural disaster on American soil since the Dust Bowl. テ窶堙つ "Yeah, you liberals from Berkeley and Cambridge, you like "those people" so much, you drive down in your Volvos and get 'em out of town. テ窶堙つDumb, lazy ******* that they are, too stupid to have an SUV, just like they were to stupid to know how to punch a ballot in Florida." テ窶堙つThat's the central message of Rush, and that's why we love him so!
:P
Oh, and Rush Limbaugh and Bernie Goldberg think it's very funny to refer to "Hurricane Katrina Vanden Heuvel" (a jab at the editor of The Nation magazine). テ窶堙つMr. Goldberg is a public scold who likes to moan about the lack of civility among the American public, but he sees no problem trivializing the deadlest storm in decades just to milk a drop of partisan humor out of it. テ窶堙つNow suppose this storm was called "Hurricane George," would Rush and Bernie laugh if Al Franken refered to "Hurricane George Bush"? テ窶堙つNo, they would be screaming charges of callous, out-of-touch liberals politicizing a national catastrophe and blah blah blah blah!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/02/05 at 4:35 pm

Again, you miss the point. But you always do.

Why don't you enlighten me if I'm really "missing the point."

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 4:47 pm

Why don't you enlighten me if I'm really "missing the point."

Sure. I will even use small words so you understand what I am saying: The. Forces. In. Place. In. Louisiana. Should. Be. More. Concerned. With. Helping. People. Who. Have. Been. Displaced. By. This. Disaster. And. Less. Concerned. With. Protecting. Goods. And. Property. Instead of shooting people who are looting, they should be doing more to feed the starving, they should speed up the evacuation process and GW Bush should be diverting EVERY AVAILABLE DOLLAR to this area, he should do it NOW, and he should have done it DAYS AGO.

Is that clear enough for you?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/05 at 4:51 pm

No I didn't.  I said I saw footage of two people stealing food, I didn't say that everybody was stealing food.

I would say that stealing televisions from Wal-Mart was a non story.  People stealing televisions in a city without electricity, from which they will soon be evacuated.  Who cares?  I would also venture that this was the exception, not the rule.  There will always be people who are just jackass stupid.

People, most with families, "stealing" food and water and dry clothing from Wal-Mart because they do not know when relief is going to come after waiting 2,3 , 4 days being considered looters? Give me a break, are you saying you wouldn't?  I certainly would.  Rush Limbaugh racist? Well he has had a hair across his ass, especially since he was fired from a sportscasting job because he thought Donovan McNabb was overrated and given a job because of his color, he was wrong then, he is wrong now.  "Those people, those people" it makes me sick when I'm not raging at the stupidity of it.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/02/05 at 4:54 pm

Five Days no food, no water, no medical care, no information, what Fema doesn't know where to buy a bull horn?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/02/05 at 8:38 pm

and GW Bush should be diverting EVERY AVAILABLE DOLLAR to this area, he should do it NOW, and he should have done it DAYS AGO.

Again, you're using your emotions above your brain.  The government cannot spend every tax dollar.  Last I heard it was ten billion, thats good.  If we need more, we use more.  The best thing that can be done is for private citizens to donate to charities.

People, most with families, "stealing" food and water and dry clothing.....

What do you call it?  Borrowing?

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 8:41 pm

The government cannot spend every tax dollar.テ窶堙つ

Of course not. Some of it is still needed to kill Arabs.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/02/05 at 10:05 pm

Again, you're using your emotions above your brain.テ窶堙つ The government cannot spend every tax dollar.テ窶堙つ Last I heard it was ten billion, thats good.テ窶堙つ If we need more, we use more.テ窶堙つ The best thing that can be done is for private citizens to donate to charities.

The problem with some people is that they let their emotions rule how they view the world.  Being seen to "Care" is much more important then being seen to do something that actually does any good.  They would rather spend tens of millions of dollars to feed people in perpetuity, rather then spend millions to prevent the actual cause of the starvation.

I notice that nobody has commented yet on the fact that Wall-Mart had already declaired that they do not consider any theft from their stores to be "looting".  In the disaster areas, they already declaired that things nessicary for life and comfort are free for the taking.  I guess that beer, whisky, and televisions are nessicary for life in New Orleans.

And in the same way, nobody has said a word in here about the "Mini Wall-Marts" they are prepared to open up in the areas.  In these stores, anything that is needed by those harmed by the disaster is free.  That's right, they are giving away almost everything in the stores.  WHo could have imagines, the "Evil Empire" corporate giant is giving things away.

But to a lot of people, unless they pay door greeters $40 an hour, they will always be evil.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 10:33 pm

The problem with some people is that they let their emotions rule how they view the world.テ窶堙つ Being seen to "Care" is much more important then being seen to do something that actually does any good.テ窶堙つ They would rather spend tens of millions of dollars to feed people in perpetuity, rather then spend millions to prevent the actual cause of the starvation.

Like, if more money had been spent preparing and protecting New Orleans from this kind of disaster in the first place then, instead of syphoning it all off for a never-ending Orwellian war on the other side of the world?

I notice that nobody has commented yet on the fact that Wall-Mart had already declaired that they do not consider any theft from their stores to be "looting".テ窶堙つ In the disaster areas, they already declaired that things nessicary for life and comfort are free for the taking.テ窶堙つ And in the same way, nobody has said a word in here about the "Mini Wall-Marts" they are prepared to open up in the areas.テ窶堙つ In these stores, anything that is needed by those harmed by the disaster is free.テ窶堙つ That's right, they are giving away almost everything in the stores.テ窶堙つ WHo could have imagines, the "Evil Empire" corporate giant is giving things away.

I didn't know this. Obviously, the National Guard doesn't know it either, because they've been told to shoot to kill people looting from stores. If Wal-mart don't consider it looting, I hope the Guardsmen have been told not to shoot people taking from Wal-mart, because it's ok.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/02/05 at 10:38 pm

I don't think it should be considered looting if it is necessities.  Face it, the stuff will spoil.  There is no way they would be able to sell it once the store opens back up.  Why not let people who need it have it.

As for electronics and the like.  That should not be taken.  It is not necessary to life, especially if you don't have electricity.  Plus, in this area, alot of electronics are probably ruined by the water.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/02/05 at 10:46 pm

Like, if more money had been spent preparing and protecting New Orleans from this kind of disaster in the first place then, instead of syphoning it all off for a never-ending Orwellian war on the other side of the world?

Do you really expect them to build a 30' plus levee all the way around New Orleans?  And not only 30' high, but 40-50' deep?  Because that is what would be needed to prevent this from happening again.

There were multiple failures in the levee system.  Some parts failed because it was battered by storm surge that was over 25 feet high.  The levees were designed to protect the city from a Mississippi flood, not from a category 5 hurricane.

Other parts failed because it was undermined.  The widest breech was indermined.  The water simply dug a path under the levee.  And because the delta is nothing but layers upon layers of mud, even a 50' deep structure will not guarantee that it will not be undermined again.

The only solution is similar to what Seattle did.  Import massive amounts of fill, and build up the land.  Build it high enough so that if it fails again, the water will not stay, but will drain off once the storm is over.

Otherwise, they had better do like Venice, and dig out the streets.  Put in canals, built the houses and buildings on stilts, and trade in the family SUV for a gondola.

BTW, just like New Orleans, Venice was once built well up above sea level.  But because it was built on delta mud, it sank into the ground at the same time that polar melting made the ocean levels rise.  This is not any kind of new discovery, it has been known for over a century.  People have simply ignored the fact.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 10:50 pm

I don't think it should be considered looting if it is necessities.テ窶堙つ Face it, the stuff will spoil.テ窶堙つ There is no way they would be able to sell it once the store opens back up.テ窶堙つ Why not let people who need it have it.

Because it's stealing, and stealing is WRONG!

As for electronics and the like.テ窶堙つ That should not be taken.テ窶堙つ It is not necessary to life, especially if you don't have electricity.テ窶堙つ Plus, in this area, alot of electronics are probably ruined by the water.

People loot all kinds of things at times like this. Most of the time they do it just because they can, or they try to stockpile things so they can be sold on the black market when the initial crisis is over. If you had a working TV when the power comes back on, imagine what some people would pay for one. I'm not supporting this kind of lawlessness. All I'm saying is that the priority for relief crews, police and soldiers should be elsewhere. Unfortunately the situation has deteriorated so badly due to the slow progress of the recovery that rescuers now have to deal with looters and bandits first, before they can help anyone.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 11:00 pm

Do you really expect them to build a 30' plus levee all the way around New Orleans?テ窶堙つ And not only 30' high, but 40-50' deep?テ窶堙つ Because that is what would be needed to prevent this from happening again.

There were multiple failures in the levee system.テ窶堙つ Some parts failed because it was battered by storm surge that was over 25 feet high.テ窶堙つ The levees were designed to protect the city from a Mississippi flood, not from a category 5 hurricane.

Other parts failed because it was undermined.テ窶堙つ The widest breech was indermined.テ窶堙つ The water simply dug a path under the levee.テ窶堙つ And because the delta is nothing but layers upon layers of mud, even a 50' deep structure will not guarantee that it will not be undermined again.

The only solution is similar to what Seattle did.テ窶堙つ Import massive amounts of fill, and build up the land.テ窶堙つ Build it high enough so that if it fails again, the water will not stay, but will drain off once the storm is over.

So it was okay to cut funding to the levees, because they didn't work anyway? Maybe, instead of that, the money should have been spent developing an effective method of evacuating the place instead. You can't prevent a hurricane, but if you know there's a strong possibility of one, there must be something you can do to minimise casualties when they do occur. Just expecting people to be able to get up and leave under their own steam isn't the way a progressive society should operate.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/03/05 at 12:35 am

Rush Limbaugh racist? Well he has had a hair across his ass, especially since he was fired from a sportscasting job because he thought Donovan McNabb was overrated and given a job because of his color, he was wrong then, he is wrong now.テ窶堙つ "Those people, those people" it makes me sick when I'm not raging at the stupidity of it.

Where did that come from?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/05 at 7:03 am

^ from here

THE REAL RACIST NEWS AND RACIST VIEWS

Rush Limbaugh mused over why the white population of New Orleans was able to get out, and the black population was not. 
He asked haughtily, "what's the matter with those Black people, why don't they have cars?"

Written By: whitewolf on 09/03/05 at 6:21 pm

I notice that nobody has commented yet on the fact that Wall-Mart had already declaired that they do not consider any theft from their stores to be "looting".テ窶堙つ In the disaster areas, they already declaired that things nessicary for life and comfort are free for the taking.テ窶堙つ I guess that beer, whisky, and televisions are nessicary for life in New Orleans.

And in the same way, nobody has said a word in here about the "Mini Wall-Marts" they are prepared to open up in the areas.テ窶堙つ In these stores, anything that is needed by those harmed by the disaster is free.テ窶堙つ That's right, they are giving away almost everything in the stores.テ窶堙つ WHo could have imagines, the "Evil Empire" corporate giant is giving things away.

But to a lot of people, unless they pay door greeters $40 an hour, they will always be evil.

Those big corporations would know that no matter what looters are going to take what they want.
By letting people take what they need to survive equals a big tax deduction written up as donations.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/03/05 at 6:37 pm

I'll post this link here, just in case some of you didn't see it elsewhere, but there was a massive typhoon in China on Thursday. 790,000 people were evacuated before it hit. 3 people died.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/china-evacuates-790000-as-typhoon-slams-into-coast/2005/09/01/1125302689224.html

Written By: zcrito on 09/03/05 at 7:24 pm

I'll post this link here, just in case some of you didn't see it elsewhere, but there was a massive typhoon in China on Thursday. 790,000 people were evacuated before it hit. 3 people died.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/china-evacuates-790000-as-typhoon-slams-into-coast/2005/09/01/1125302689224.html

Maybe they took buses out?
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/050901/480/flpc21109012015

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/03/05 at 7:28 pm

I heard today that many minorities down there are saying the white man built a bad levee near a predominatly black area beacuase they knew it would fail ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/05 at 7:35 pm

I heard today that many minorities down there are saying the white man built a bad levee near a predominatly black area beacuase they knew it would fail ::)

Oh how "many" is many?  And who made the allegation?  Ann Coulter?

As we all know, the white man never gave the black man any reason to feel paranoid in New Orleans!
;D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/03/05 at 9:51 pm

Instead of counting on the always incompetent federal government, the private citzens need to do what they do best.  As we saw with the tsunami in Asia back in December, Americans trust themselves to help, while others countries trust their governments to do it.

The American Red Cross

The Salvation Army

Written By: whitewolf on 09/03/05 at 10:02 pm

Instead of counting on the always incompetent federal government, the private citzens need to do what they do best.テ窶堙つ As we saw with the tsunami in Asia back in December, Americans trust themselves to help, while others countries trust their governments to do it.

obviously you didn't see everything, I my community (a Canadian city) the schools set up  fundraisers, each student got a shoebox and filled it with supplies that were needed (soap, face cloths, razors, deoderant,etc) also the students did a fundraier to help provide clothes and even teddy bears to comfort the children.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/04/05 at 7:09 am

Instead of counting on the always incompetent federal government, the private citzens need to do what they do best.  As we saw with the tsunami in Asia back in December, Americans trust themselves to help, while others countries trust their governments to do it.

The American Red Cross

The Salvation Army

A lot of the countries sending aid to the United States are sending it through the International Red Cross instead of directly to our government.  After watching the news they are concerned that the government issn't quite on top of things.  They are right.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/05 at 2:01 pm

Instead of counting on the always incompetent federal government, the private citzens need to do what they do best.テ窶堙つ As we saw with the tsunami in Asia back in December, Americans trust themselves to help, while others countries trust their governments to do it.

The American Red Cross

The Salvation Army

Why is the federal government incompetent when Republicans control all three branches?  Maybe, just maybe, Republicans sabotage the federal government by draining all its resources on imperial conquest for private profit, and outrageous subisidies for big corporations. 
It's not what Grover Norquist say about making the federal government small enough to drown in a bathtub, it's about siphoning off the public dough to serve the richest entities in the country, and to hell with everybody else!
Your trite inference about American rugged individualism is a lot of flapdoodle.  In America, it's socialism for the rich, rugged individualism the rest of us.  You are right, though, as an American, I don't trust this federal government, and the rest of the world shouldn't trust America's feds either!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/04/05 at 2:17 pm

I think it all must start with the Mayor of the city, then the govoner, where were they. Easier to blame George though ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/04/05 at 2:30 pm

Oh how "many" is many?  And who made the allegation?  Ann Coulter?

As we all know, the white man never gave the black man any reason to feel paranoid in New Orleans!
;D
Sorry to disappoint but Ann had nothing to do with this. It was an article in yesterdays Denver Post written by an AP writer from the southeast named Allen G. Breed.

As for your last sentence... ;D Thanks, I needed that.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/04/05 at 4:56 pm

I think it all must start with the Mayor of the city, then the govoner, where were they. Easier to blame George though ::)

I guess you missed the very public, very angry, radio interview with the mayor pleading for help.  The Mayor begged for help, the governor at a press conference asked for help, George went to a fundraiser in San Diego.

Written By: PaperGirl on 09/04/05 at 5:22 pm

http://twistypassages.com.nyud.net:8090/media/nagin.mp3

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/05/05 at 10:13 am

I guess you missed the very public, very angry, radio interview with the mayor pleading for help.  The Mayor begged for help, the governor at a press conference asked for help, George went to a fundraiser in San Diego.
I did...sorry :-[

Written By: PaperGirl on 09/05/05 at 10:54 am

Its on the link right above your post.

Written By: zcrito on 09/05/05 at 12:30 pm

Here's an interesting article about what it was like in the Superdome last week. Sort of an outsider's point of view...

Miss Wheeldon said: テδ「テ「窶堋ャテ窶弋he sights we saw you wouldnテδ「テ「窶堋ャテ「窶楪「t want anyone to see. The filth and smell were unbelievable.テδ「テ「窶堋ャテつ The threat came from a minor-ity テδ「テ「窶堋ャテ「竄ャツ mainly young men. テδ「テ「窶堋ャテ窶弋he majority of the people of New Orleans are absolutely lovely,テδ「テ「窶堋ャテつ she said. テδ「テ「窶堋ャテ窶彜ome families were ready to give us their food even though they had nothing.テδ「テ「窶堋ャテつ

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1765482,00.html

Written By: danootaandme on 09/05/05 at 5:55 pm

On George Stephanopoulos George Will compared the rebuilding of New Orleans to the rebuilding of
Watts and Newark after the riots in the '60's.  ???  I would say that that is an insidious comparison.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/05 at 7:00 pm

I guess you missed the very public, very angry, radio interview with the mayor pleading for help.テ窶堙つ The Mayor begged for help, the governor at a press conference asked for help, George went to a fundraiser in San Diego.

Ain't that a kick in the head!
You're the mayor of a poor city in a poor state that gets hit with the worst natural catastrophe in a century, you and you're colleagues have been imploring the feds for better funding and the feds offer nothing but budget cuts in return.  What's their answer?  It's your problem, Mr. Mayor, you know, take a little personal responsibility!  What's the mayor supposed to do?  Have a bake sale?
:P ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/05/05 at 9:52 pm

Hey let's not forget how the police had to defend themselves against some armed thugs on a bridge who shot at them....but the liberal media only said that cops shot and killed people on a bridge...we have no more details as of yet. Turns out the little punks had guns and the police actually managed to capture one of the survivors. WHY do these gangs feel the need to have to loot and kill innocent people. They are the biggest losers and I hope they burn >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/05 at 11:18 pm

Hey let's not forget how the police had to defend themselves against some armed thugs on a bridge who shot at them....but the liberal media only said that cops shot and killed people on a bridge...we have no more details as of yet. Turns out the little punks had guns and the police actually managed to capture one of the survivors. WHY do these gangs feel the need to have to loot and kill innocent people. They are the biggest losers and I hope they burn >:(

Why do they feel the need?  Well, they're obviously enraged.  Why are they enraged?

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/06/05 at 2:54 pm

It is scary that people actually think it's ridiculous to say that in 1920 the government of Louisiana didn't care about the possibility of black neighborhood getting flooded.  These are the same people that think lynching photos were all created in Photoshop.

Check for new replies or respond here...