» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: International responce II

Written By: Powerslave on 09/02/05 at 9:06 pm

From AP:

In an accelerating drive, more than 50 countries have pledged money or other aid to help Americans recover from Hurricane Katrina.

The pledges blur political lines. Cuba and Venezuela have offered help despite differences with Washington. Oil giant Saudi Arabia and tiny countries like Dominica are among nations making pledges.

"I hope that will remind Americans that we are all part of the same community," Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Friday as offers kept pouring in.

None has been turned down, Rice said at a news conference, disputing a report from Moscow that a Russian offer had been rejected. She said some offers were being taken up immediately and others "somewhat later," depending on needs on the ground.

Rice singled out Sri Lanka for praise for making a contribution even as it struggles to recover from the tsunami disaster of last December.

She said contributions from poor countries were being accepted because "it is very valuable for people being able to give to each other and to be able to do so without a sense of means."

Australia announced a donation of $US8 million to the American Red Cross. "The United States is so often at the forefront of international aid efforts to help less fortunate nations," Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said.

"So it is only fitting that Australia should contribute to the daunting task of helping the thousands of American citizens whose lives have been thrown into turmoil by this unprecedented disaster," Downer said.

France, "determined to show its solidarity with the United States," offered a range of aircraft and two ships, with helicopters and planes capable of airlifting tons of supplies, a disaster unit with 20 soldiers, a civil defence detachment of 35 people and an airborne emergency unit, the French Embassy said.

Canada is loading three warships and a Coast Guard vessel in Halifax with emergency supplies and food and will dispatch them next Tuesday to Louisiana, Dan McTeague, parliamentary secretary to Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew, said in an interview.

Up to 1,000 divers, engineers and reconstruction experts will be aboard, McTeague said.

Prime Minister Paul Martin has announced the release of 30,000 barrels of petrol and oil for US use.

Japan announced it would contribute $200,000 to the American Red Cross for its relief operations. Upon request, Japan is prepared to provide up to $300,000 worth of tents, blankets, power generators, portable water tanks and other equipment, the Japanese Embassy said.

The United States historically has aided victims of disasters, but it is not universally recognised as providing the level of aid expected of a rich nation.

In July, President Bush resisted British Prime Minister Tony Blair's ambitious goals for assisting Africa, though Bush took steps to double US aid to more than $8.6 billion  by 2010.

The United States, which has the world's largest economy, lags behind other rich nations in the percentage of its giving to nations in Africa, the world's poorest continent.

By Friday, offers had been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, New Zealand, Guatemala, Paraguay, Belgium, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Italy, Guyana, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, Austria, Lithuania, Spain, Dominica, Norway, Cuba, Bahamas, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Ecuador, Iceland, India, Jordan, Luxembourg, the Philippines, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey.

Subject: Re: International responce II

Written By: Mushroom on 09/02/05 at 9:59 pm

The one that surprises me the most is Cuba.  And I am not sure how to take it.

Ever since Casto came into power, they have been adamant about not accepting any US aid, no matter what.  It has been offered every time they got hit by a Hurricane, and has never been accepted.

They have also never cashed a "Rent Check" for the lease on Guantanamo Bay Naval Base.  45 years of rent is still sitting in the bank, because he refuses to accept the money.

I can only hope that maybe this will help both sides reach better accomidation.  The tension has been there for far to long.

And hopefully the aid from Saudi Arabia will help force the rest of OPEC to stop holding the world hostage of high oil prices.

I also like that nations like Australia and Japan are giving the money to the Red Cross, rather then to the Government itself.  The food and blankets will go farther in the long run then the money will I am sure.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/05 at 7:09 am

The one that surprises me the most is Cuba.  And I am not sure how to take it.

Ever since Casto came into power, they have been adamant about not accepting any US aid, no matter what.  It has been offered every time they got hit by a Hurricane, and has never been accepted.

They have also never cashed a "Rent Check" for the lease on Guantanamo Bay Naval Base.  45 years of rent is still sitting in the bank, because he refuses to accept the money.

I can only hope that maybe this will help both sides reach better accomidation.  The tension has been there for far to long.

I'm not.  Castro has always considered that anything from the USA came with strings.  He remembers the Batista and pre-Batista years.  He has been a thorn in the side of the USA by taunting us with the question of "how can you talk about me when you treat your minorities the way you do"  That is why he will be ready to send aid.  He can say that he is doing for African Americans what their own country won't.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/03/05 at 7:44 am

I'm not.  Castro has always considered that anything from the USA came with strings.  He remembers the Batista and pre-Batista years.  He has been a thorn in the side of the USA by taunting us with the question of "how can you talk about me when you treat your minorities the way you do"  That is why he will be ready to send aid.  He can say that he is doing for African Americans what their own country won't.

You wanna know something?  And I know I am gonna get attacked, but I am gonna say it anyways.

I could not care less about "African-Americans".

All I care about is people.  Black, white, yellow, red, pink, blue, green, purple.  Plain and simple, cut and dry.  I could not give a damn about what color they are, or where their great-great-great grandfathers came from.  Actually, I could not care where their fathers, or they themselves come from.

I am sure you are saying that to make a point.  But if Castro had said something like that, I would suggest we throw the money right back at his face, because it is an insult.

Oh, and so many in here are so right.  The people there were so poor, they could not leave before the hurricane hit.  Those cars I see underwater were all broken down before the storm hit.  And Fats Domino lied when he talked about "Riding the storm out".  He was ashamed to admit he was to poor to leave, right?

I tell ya, I am sick to death of people useing race as a way to pull people apart.  I am sick to death of people trying to end political arguements with "You are not black, you would not understand".

And now I am sick and tired beyond belief of people trying to place the blame of a natural disaster on whoever they think it should go on.  I pray that you never have to go through these people are going through.  When you can see that pointing fingers means nothing.  But some people want to pontificate, and show how righeous they are, and how evil everybody is who they are opposed to.  And who cares if people die while it happens.

How about putting some of the hate and anger so many of you have into helping people?  Some of you know how little I make, yet I have sent $50 in supplies in the last week alone (that is almost 25% of my income).  Has anybody else in here even come close to sending that kind of percentage?

Oh, but I am an evil Republican.  I could not care, because I don't understand.  I am white, so I have no idea what it means.  All I know is that I am tired of seeing people bitch and whine and look for somebody to blame.  Let's go ahead and open investigations into Ivan last year.  Oh why did it take 3 days for aid to get there?

Or better yet, let's dig up President Nixon, and put him on trial for the death and destruction of Camille in 1969.  Yea, we can have a big show trial.  Because people in here will obviously never be happy unless there is somebody to blame this on.

Maybe I should file a lawsuit for the slow response I got in 1994.  Oh God, it took 3 days until the tent city was ready in LA.  Who cares that they reacted as fast as they could, it was obviously Clinton's fault.

*click*

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/03/05 at 9:10 am

Oh, and so many in here are so right.  The people there were so poor, they could not leave before the hurricane hit.  Those cars I see underwater were all broken down before the storm hit.  And Fats Domino lied when he talked about "Riding the storm out".  He was ashamed to admit he was to poor to leave, right?

That's right, everyone only has one car that lived in New Orleans, so any car you see left behind clearly means those people rode out the storm. 

Fats Domino is in his 70s now.  It's quite likely he doesn't drive anymore. If you read this month's Rolling Stone, you'd see that Bo Diddley isn't exactly living like Elvis at the moment, and considering how crooked the music industry is, I doubt Domino is rolling in much more cash than he is.

Maybe, just maybe, these people are *gasp* poor, regardless of their color. 

http://junkyardblog.net/archives/week_2005_08_28.html#004749

that's the local polticians fault.  Still would have only moved about 20% of the current people needed however.

The feds can be blamed for not doing enough after the local government screwed up. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/05 at 10:47 am

You wanna know something?  And I know I am gonna get attacked, but I am gonna say it anyways.

All I care about is people.  Black, white, yellow, red, pink, blue, green, purple.  Plain and simple, cut and dry.  I could not give a damn about what color they are, or where their great-great-great grandfathers came from.  Actually, I could not care where their fathers, or they themselves come from.

I am sure you are saying that to make a point.  But if Castro had said something like that, I would suggest we throw the money right back at his face, because it is an insult.

I tell ya, I am sick to death of people useing race as a way to pull people apart.  I am sick to death of people trying to end political arguements with "You are not black, you would not understand".

*click*

I was just saying what Castro has said and it appears you are attacking me for it. 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/05 at 1:32 pm

This we agree on

He is old and like a lot of old people(and some young) he thought he would ride it out.  Foolish, but they shouldn't be punished for it. But they were, and continue to be.

Another point we agree on.  But I am not so naive to belief that race and gender doesn't play a part in my life every day.

And now I am sick and tired beyond belief of people trying to place the blame of a natural disaster on whoever they think it should go on.  I pray that you never have to go through these people are going through.  When you can see that pointing fingers means nothing.  But some people want to pontificate, and show how righeous they are, and how evil everybody is who they are opposed to.  And who cares if people die while it happens.

No one here is blaming the natural disaster, we are blaming the man made consequences of incompetence in the face of disaster.  We are banging the drum to get things done, and trying to see that it doesn't happen again, because we are heartsick at the way people are dying.

How about putting some of the hate and anger so many of you have into helping people?  Some of you know how little I make, yet I have sent $50 in supplies in the last week alone (that is almost 25% of my income).  Has anybody else in here even come close to sending that kind of percentage?

Yeah, and I find this comment insulting.  Who are you to assume that you are the only one who dug deep?  I tell you what, I have worked hard, and if monetary value is what you place on care I obviously care much more than you,  I sent 1000.00, and that is much more than 25% of my income

Oh, but I am an evil Republican.  I could not care, because I don't understand.  I am white, so I have no idea what it means.  All I know is that I am tired of seeing people bitch and whine and look for somebody to blame.  Let's go ahead and open investigations into Ivan last year.  Oh why did it take 3 days for aid to get there?

Quit the whine about being a picked on Republican.  If you look into it Republican,Democrat, rich, poor, middle, white, black, brown, red, yellow...even the head Republican in Charge, have admitted that this situation is a disgrace.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/03/05 at 2:52 pm

I'm glad Powerslave posted this, since the "lack of response" was already posted.  Castro has offered aid every time there has been some sort of disaster in the US.  Since Condi says that all aid will be accepted, I wonder what the admin will alow Cuba to contribute.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/05 at 5:11 pm

I'm glad Powerslave posted this, since the "lack of response" was already posted.  Castro has offered aid every time there has been some sort of disaster in the US.  Since Condi says that all aid will be accepted, I wonder what the admin will alow Cuba to contribute.

Speaking of Condi, and going a bit off topic, a very close friend lives in NYC told me that Condi was in
Ferragamos spending mucho bucks on new shoes when another seemingly wealthy and  pampered customer started in on her about being in Ferragamos buying shoes considering the situation.  They had to drag her out bodily.  Good for her. :)

Written By: Powerslave on 09/03/05 at 6:34 pm

Cigars?

Written By: Powerslave on 09/03/05 at 6:39 pm

Speaking of Condi, and going a bit off topic, a very close friend lives in NYC told me that Condi was in
Ferragamos spending mucho bucks on new shoes when another seemingly wealthy and  pampered customer started in on her about being in Ferragamos buying shoes considering the situation.  They had to drag her out bodily.  Good for her. :)

Urban Legend!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/katrina/rice.asp

Written By: Valhalla on 09/03/05 at 6:39 pm

Cigars?

i don't think it's fair to knock someone if they are serious about putting politics aside and willing to help people in time of need.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/03/05 at 6:44 pm

You miss understood my post. It wasn't knocking Cuba's offer, it was in reponse to DC's question: "What will the US Administration actually let them contribute?" It was cynicism. Sorry if that wasn't made clear. As DC has said, Cuba has offered assistance every time the US has faced a disaster like this, but their offers are never taken up.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/03/05 at 6:44 pm

Cigars?

;D

If Cuba wants to help, I say let them.  If they refuse our help that is their problem.  We need all the help we can get and now is the time to swallow the pride.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/05 at 7:20 pm

Quit the whine about being a picked on Republican.  If you look into it Republican,Democrat, rich, poor, middle, white, black, brown, red, yellow...even the head Republican in Charge, have admitted that this situation is a disgrace.

He is a picked-on Republican.  Who picks on him?  REPUBLICANS!
Any low-income individual who votes Republican gets kicked in the head by his own party every day.  I have great sympathy for Mr. Mushroom.  He sacrifices his own economic interests to give millionaires tax breaks that rival his annual income!
:D

Written By: danootaandme on 09/04/05 at 7:04 am

He is a picked-on Republican.  Who picks on him?  REPUBLICANS!
Any low-income individual who votes Republican gets kicked in the head by his own party every day.  I have great sympathy for Mr. Mushroom.  He sacrifices his own economic interests to give millionaires tax breaks that rival his annual income!
:D

double yes on that!

Written By: Valhalla on 09/04/05 at 7:46 am

You miss understood my post. It wasn't knocking Cuba's offer, it was in reponse to DC's question: "What will the US Administration actually let them contribute?" It was cynicism. Sorry if that wasn't made clear. As DC has said, Cuba has offered wazooistance every time the US has faced a disaster like this, but their offers are never taken up.

after re-reading everything in it's proper context, it is i that owe you an apology for thinking you were being, shall we say, sarcastic.

i'd like to know why the US  rejects cuba's offers. the US has  had problems with many other countries in the past (perhaps present also?) and still accept help for things like this.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/04/05 at 7:58 am

after re-reading everything in it's proper context, it is i that owe you an apology for thinking you were being, shall we say, sarcastic.

No worries mate.  :)

Written By: Satish on 09/04/05 at 9:58 am

Urban Legend!

http://www.snopes.com/politics/katrina/rice.asp

Actually, the Snopes.com page describes the status of the rumour as "Undetermined", so it might be true or it might be false.

Written By: Satish on 09/04/05 at 10:05 am

I tell you what, I have worked hard, and if monetary value is what you place on care I obviously care much more than you,  I sent 1000.00, and that is much more than 25% of my income

Bless you, Danoota. It's people like you who keep the rest of us going.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/04/05 at 2:42 pm

i'd like to know why the US  rejects cuba's offers. the US has  had problems with many other countries in the past (perhaps present also?) and still accept help for things like this.

My guess is that accepting Cuban help would make it much more difficult to demonize Cuba and Castro, as our fearfull leaders do at every opportunity.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/04/05 at 4:53 pm

Bless you, Danoota. It's people like you who keep the rest of us going.

I have to add that I am almost ashamed of what I wrote.  I don't like to talk about charitable contributions, it
is something I believe should be done in spirit, not for praise, but the post so aggravated me with its condescention I forgot myself..

Written By: Dagwood on 09/04/05 at 7:17 pm

I have to add that I am almost ashamed of what I wrote. I don't like to talk about charitable contributions, it
is something I believe should be done in spirit, not for praise, but the post so aggravated me with its condescention I forgot myself..

It happens to everyone.  :)

Written By: whitewolf on 09/06/05 at 3:45 pm

Just like if a woman speaks out against sexism, as a man, I don't feel threatened by that.  I don't think the woman is trying to pull the sexes apart.  She is taking a stand for what is right.  If I feel threatened by that, I better do some soul-seaching instead of blaming her.

going off topic for a minute, why does your profile say female and you just stated your a man? :o :-\\

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 09/22/05 at 1:14 am

Having just had a severe rant in the original thread on this subject (which will stand, and dam.n the torpedoes) I am glad to say there is a larger degree of sanity prevailing in here  :o

Written By: saver on 09/22/05 at 5:23 pm

Then again, I'm hearing from the horses mouth in England..MEAT food donations were ALL destroyed and they aren't so happy about contributing to help anymore for that kind of slap to them!

Apparently maybe they were scared of MAD COW yet it was the same food their soldiers are rationed...and MC hasn't been detected for a long time they are saying..

Do we quietly bow to them in apologizing or stuff it to them for not letting us be careful as to what we will take?

OPEN FOR COMMENTS :)

Written By: philbo on 09/24/05 at 2:53 pm

Canada is loading three warships and a Coast Guard vessel in Halifax with emergency supplies and food and will dispatch them next Tuesday to Louisiana, Dan McTeague, parliamentary secretary to Foreign Minister Pierre Pettigrew, said in an interview.
Isn't that nearly all the Canadian Navy? ;)

Then again, I'm hearing from the horses mouth in England..MEAT food donations were ALL destroyed and they aren't so happy about contributing to help anymore for that kind of slap to them!

Personally, I think it's ****ing stupid... at the height of the BSE epidemic, an estimated 800million portions of infected beef wre eaten - even on the unlikely premise that eating infected beef actually does cause vCJD in the first place, the odds against it are so phenominally high that some bureaucrat should take his head out of his a**hole and do a real risk assessment based on need and possible harm.  But it's not us (i.e. the Brits) who should be complaining, but anybody over there who's missing a meal which they might otherwise have had.

Check for new replies or respond here...