» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Gee...imagine that!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/04/05 at 11:23 pm

Associated Press
Halliburton Subsidiary Gets Katrina Deal
09.04.2005, 04:58 PM

A Halliburton Co. subsidiary that has come under fire for its reconstruction work in Iraq has begun tapping a $500 million Navy contract to do emergency repairs at Gulf Coast naval and Marine facilities that were battered by Hurricane Katrina.

The subsidiary, Kellogg, Brown & Root Services Inc. of Arlington, Va., was awarded the competitive bid contract last July to provide debris removal and other emergency work associated with natural disasters.

Jan Davis, a spokeswoman for the Naval Facilities Engineering Command, said Sunday that KBR will receive $12 million for work at Naval Air Station Pascagoula, Naval Station Gulfport and Stennis Space Center in Mississippi. It will receive $4.6 million for work at two smaller Navy facilities in New Orleans and others in the South.

The company has provided similar work after major disasters in the United States and abroad for more than 15 years, including in Florida after Hurricane Andrew.

But KBR has been at the center of scrutiny for receiving a five-year, no-bid contract to restore Iraqi oil fields shortly before the war began in 2003.

Halliburton has reported being paid $10.7 billion for Iraq-related government work during 2003 and 2004. The company reported its pretax profits from that work as $163 million. Pentagon auditors have questioned tens of millions of dollars of Halliburton charges for its operations there.

Late last month three congressional Democrats asked Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld to investigate the demotion of a senior civilian Army official who publicly criticized the awarding of that contract.

Bunnatine H. Greenhouse, who had been the Army Corps of Engineers' top procurement official since 1997, was removed from her position last month for what the Corps called a poor job performance. The lawmakers said the demotion "appears to be retaliation" for her June 27 testimony before Congress in which she detailed her objections to the award of contracts for Iraq projects.

Vice President Dick Cheney headed Halliburton from 1995 to 2000, and Democrats have questioned whether the company has gotten favorable treatment because of his connection.

Subject: Re: Gee...imagine that!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/05 at 12:15 am

::) ::) ::)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/05/05 at 1:17 am

Gee...imagine that!

You mean that you didn't like posting under the screen name "Al-B" so instead of just clicking on 'profile' and then 'account related settings' and changing your screen name, you deleted the entire account and went through the medium-long registering process because you didn't know?

Written By: ADH13 on 09/05/05 at 1:46 am

You mean that you didn't like posting under the screen name "Al-B" so instead of just clicking on 'profile' and then 'account related settings' and changing your screen name, you deleted the entire account and went through the medium-long registering process because you didn't know?

What does that have to do with Haliburton? ???

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/05/05 at 1:46 am

No, (like a fool) I thought I was going to quit the boards and so I deleted my account thinking that would make it easier, but then I decided to come back after all.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/05 at 8:26 am

I was thinking the same thing.

Cat

Written By: karen on 09/05/05 at 8:28 am

Cat

It means he doesn't have an answer or sensible comment to the points made in the first post.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/05/05 at 9:18 am

It means he doesn't have an answer or sensible comment to the points made in the first post.

That's what I took it to mean, too.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/05/05 at 2:15 pm

Well, what could he say?  Halliburton and KBR first get contracts through special treatmen, then rip off us tax payers because uncle Duckie and his cohorts are at least as corrupt as the Teapot Dome crowd.  He knows it, we know it, EVERYBODY knows it.  What is there to say?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/05/05 at 8:13 pm

What do y'all want me to say?

Oh no, that evil Halliburton got a contract to do what it's business is suppose to do.  Richard Cheney used to be involved with them.  Oh the horror.

Seriously, why does this matter?  I sometimes think the neocons do this just to listen to the liberals' heads explode.

Written By: jackas on 09/05/05 at 9:02 pm

Oh no, that evil Halliburton got a contract to do what it's business is suppose to do.  Richard Cheney used to be involved with them.  Oh the horror.

Seriously, why does this matter?  I sometimes think the neocons do this just to listen to the liberals' heads explode.

;D ;D  Yeah, I sooo don't care who is being favored or getting paid as long as those things get up and running again.......fast.

It was a cheap shot at Al though. :-\\

Written By: EthanM on 09/05/05 at 9:07 pm

It's just suspicious that they keep getting all these contracts... It's gotta violate some anti-trust act. Or did those get overturned?
If a company is favored and gets contracts no matter what, it doesn't have as much motivation to perform its task as quickly and effectively as possible.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/05 at 9:32 pm

It's not Richard, but Dick, and you can bet he still has his hand in the till.  Halliburton will get things running again at ten times the cost to the American taxpayer.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/05/05 at 10:30 pm

It's not Richard, but Dick, and you can bet he still has his hand in the till.

Well I called him Richard because I thought that this site was still censoring the word Dick, making the word Dick change to D!ick, wheather used in the right context or not.

It really doesn't matter, the name on the GOP's website is "Richard Bruce Cheney."

Written By: jaytee on 09/05/05 at 10:44 pm

Cat

Me too

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/05 at 11:10 pm

Well I called him Richard because I thought that this site was still censoring the word Dick, making the word Dick change to D!ick, wheather used in the right context or not.

It really doesn't matter, the name on the GOP's website is "Richard Bruce Cheney."

Well, at least there's one thing they're not lying about!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/06/05 at 8:07 pm

It was a cheap shot at Al though. :-\\
No offense taken. I think that it was a legitimate question.  Although, GW, I have been back on the boards under my new name for well over a month now and I do have to wonder why you waited until this particular moment to bring it up.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/07/05 at 1:48 pm

It matters because its just another example of the crony capitalism that is destroying both our economy and our ethics, not to mention costing us tax payers unnecessary billions.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/07/05 at 9:23 pm

It's just suspicious that they keep getting all these contracts... It's gotta violate some anti-trust act. Or did those get overturned?
If a company is favored and gets contracts no matter what, it doesn't have as much motivation to perform its task as quickly and effectively as possible.

It is no more suspicious then when Morrison-Knudsen used to get most of the large civil construction projects in the US until they got bought out.  MK had the most experience of any private company in building things like dams, ampetheaters, mining and refining facilities, and the like.

MK built things like the Alaska Pipeline, EPCOT Center, Universal Ampitheatre, Hoover Dam, Oil Share fefining Facilities in Colorado, Nuclear Power Plants, and Railroad locomotives.  They simply had a record of getting things done on time, and well built.

Haliburton is recognized as a leader in building anything that relates to the oil industry.  In fact, MK barely beat them out for the Alaska Pipeline project.  If I was to pick any company to rebuild the damage done, Haliburton is the one I would choose also.

If anybody else can name a company that can do it as well, what is it?  Do we want an unknown company with little or no experience to rebuild something this important?

Check for new replies or respond here...