» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: BUSH - One of the WORST Presidents In U.S. History. Yes or No?

Written By: Hairspray on 09/06/05 at 1:14 am

In light of recent tragic events and Bush’s and his administrations response, his continually slumping numbers at the polls, his decisions with respect to Iraq and other issues and his perceived general neglect of domestic affairs, is it possible for Bush to be remembered in any other way but unfavorably?  More to the point, some have asked - Has any other President in history ever failed his country so miserably?  Thus, the topic at hand.  This one question came to me as I watched a news report where a comment was made that if the presidential elections were held today, Bush would unequivocally lose 100 to 1.  Then there was talk of his most remembered moments and most all were negative.  It is my hope to find out the general conclusion within our community here in this forum.  Thanks in advance for you time.

Edited to add: I rephrased the question.

Subject: Re: BUSH - One of the WORST Presidents In U.S. History. Yes or No?

Written By: ADH13 on 09/06/05 at 1:41 am

My answer remains the same.  Definitely not!

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/06/05 at 1:42 am

I honestly cannot answer that seeing as I don't know enough about any of the others to make a proper judgement.

But heres what I think, based on what I've observed:
One of the worst: Quite Possibly (I voted yes)
The worst: No

Written By: zcrito on 09/06/05 at 4:17 am

If people (maybe not you though) think he's been the worst president of all time then they should tell us who they think was the best or some of the best. It would be nice to know the "yardstick" by which someone measures a good president or Bush for that matter.

I really think some people have such an irrational hatred of George Bush that it really doesn't matter what he does, it'll never be good enough or correct.

I voted "No".

Written By: joedeertae on 09/06/05 at 6:09 am

I vote no.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/06/05 at 7:11 am

I voted no also

Written By: jackas on 09/06/05 at 9:01 am

I really think some people have such an irrational hatred of George Bush that it really doesn't matter what he does, it'll never be good enough or correct.

Like my mother. ::)

I voted no.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/05 at 11:05 am

Most definitely YES!!!  I could list many things but I don't have time to write a book.

BTW, Welcome back, Hairspray.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/06/05 at 11:43 am

No way! If we had sat back on our heels and not defended this country, like Kerry/Gore would've done, we'd be slaves to the terrorists right here in the USA >:(

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/06/05 at 11:50 am

I voted No. He's definitely not the best--not even close. But the worst? I don't think so.

Beth

Written By: EthanM on 09/06/05 at 12:14 pm

No way! If we had sat back on our heels and not defended this country, like Kerry/Gore would've done, we'd be slaves to the terrorists right here in the USA >:(

The only time this country was attacked during Bush's presidency, better intelligence operations probably could've been used for defense, but they weren't. And then the administration promoted illogically excessive fear of the foreign extremists, which by definition is exactly what terrorists want.

I don't know enough about all of our presidents to judge is Bush is the  absolute worst president, but he's gotta be close. After all, Harding is usually ranked at the bottom simply for not being able to control his corrupt colleagues, and that's just one of many problems with this administration.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 1:48 pm

Oh yes, Kerry and Gore the anti-americans.

Ya know, I don't know all the words to the national anthem.. Better package me up with some semtex.

The only time this country was attacked during Bush's presidency, better intelligence operations probably could've been used for defense, but they weren't. And then the administration promoted illogically excessive fear of the foreign extremists, which by definition is exactly what terrorists want.

I don't know enough about all of our presidents to judge is Bush is the absolute worst president, but he's gotta be close. After all, Harding is usually ranked at the bottom simply for not being able to control his corrupt colleagues, and that's just one of many problems with this administration.

Not even 'better' intelligence.. just listening to the intelligence the administration had.

No he isn't the worst ever.. He damn sure is one of the worst though.

You want my yardstick, ok here he is.. William Jefferson Clinton.

Strongest US Economy Ever
Lowest Unemployment Rates for Years
US respected World Wide

But of course which Right Wing Christian Family Values  ::) Nut is gonna say.. "Oh he's awful, he got a BJ!"
::)

Written By: nally on 09/06/05 at 1:53 pm

I don't like him. But I'm not sure if I'd say he's the worst. But one of the worst, as the title says? I think so. :-\\

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 1:54 pm

And, don't forget, he's married to Hillary ;)

Ok that's unforgivable..

Of course, if you look at the Country Bush inheritied and the current state of the country you can see just How Low he's taken us in comparison to 5-6 years ago.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/06/05 at 2:01 pm

no

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/06/05 at 2:08 pm

Since I've only been around for 29 years, I would say yes.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/06/05 at 2:52 pm

Bush the Second is in the bottom half of Presidents, but he's not as bad as, say, Carter or Ulysses S. Grant :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/06/05 at 3:52 pm

Oh yes, Kerry and Gore the anti-americans.

Ya know, I don't know all the words to the national anthem.. Better package me up with some semtex.

Not even 'better' intelligence.. just listening to the intelligence the administration had.

No he isn't the worst ever.. He darn sure is one of the worst though.

You want my yardstick, ok here he is.. William Jefferson Clinton.

Strongest US Economy Ever
Lowest Unemployment Rates for Years
US respected World Wide

But of course which Right Wing Christian Family Values  ::) Nut is gonna say.. "Oh he's awful, he got a BJ!"

There were things Bill Clinton couldn't do very well either. He shut down a lot of military bases and weapon stations which caused a great deal of unemployment. Yet, I won't be blind to the fact that he wasn't a strong president; he just had a way with words.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 3:54 pm

There were things Bill Clinton couldn't do very well either. He shut down a lot of military bases and weapon stations which caused a great deal of unemployment. Yet, I won't be blind to the fact that he wasn't a strong president; he just had a way with words.

True, he did get rid of a lot of Military bases, of course that saved Millions in the defence Budget.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/06/05 at 3:55 pm

And no, Bush is not the worst. Yet he's probably one of the most vehemently disliked presidents since Franklin Roosevelt, but how many people hate FDR nowadays?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/06/05 at 3:56 pm

True, he did get rid of a lot of Military bases, of course that saved Millions in the defence Budget.

and the good of that was....??

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 3:57 pm

and the good of that was....??

There is more money in the budget to go elsewhere.

For instance.

Clinton closes 3 Military bases in California. There is now more money in the budget to, just a for instance here, build several cruise missiles that can be used in Bosnia.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/06/05 at 4:00 pm

yeah, that's probably why US interests were attacked by terrorists 3 times during his presidency.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/05 at 4:01 pm

Many bases were closed under Reagan and George I. The military was also downsized at that time. I was in at that time I remember people leaving the military left and right.

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 4:08 pm

yeah, that's probably why US interests were attacked by terrorists 3 times during his presidency.

Alright, World Trade Centre in 1993 literally just a few weeks after his election.

Okalhoma City Bombing.. Oh come on, one nut working alone blows up a Government Building, like Clinton downsizing the Military had anything to do with that.

Written By: EthanM on 09/06/05 at 4:09 pm

As opposed to today, when U.S. soldiers get attacked just about every day.
Or is the U.S. (by U.S. i mean the government) not interested in its soldiers?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/06/05 at 4:36 pm

Alright, World Trade Centre in 1993 literally just a few weeks after his election.

Okalhoma City Bombing.. Oh come on, one nut working alone blows up a Government Building, like Clinton downsizing the Military had anything to do with that.

Wasn't one of our embassasies bombed during Clinton's presidency, as well?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/06/05 at 4:50 pm

This best/worst stuff usually doesn't fly.  I will say that I believe that when you consider, unemployment, internatioal relations, quality of life issues, that he will be at the lower end of the scale.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/06/05 at 4:58 pm

Yes, and the USS Cole also...

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 4:59 pm

Yes your right.

In 1998 8 American's were killed when the Kenyan and Tanzanian Embassies were bombed.
There was no advanced warning and no real way to stop them happening. (car bombs)

Young Georgey seems to have a car bomb go off every week during his administration.

Clinton appropriated almost a Billion dollars to make structural improvements to US embassies around the world.. I'm yet to see what George has done.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/06/05 at 5:09 pm

As opposed to today, when U.S. soldiers get attacked just about every day.
Or is the U.S. (by U.S. i mean the government) not interested in its soldiers?

Yes, our soldiers have taken the pre-existing problem to their corner of the world, so that YOU and your family can enjoy a normal lifestyle without having to worry about getting bombed when you go to the mall, or to an amusement park, etc.  And you have no idea how grateful I am for that.. and how sorry I am when any American or innocent Iraqi lives are lost due to insurgents. 

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 5:19 pm

Yes, our soldiers have taken the pre-existing problem to their corner of the world, so that YOU and your family can enjoy a normal lifestyle without having to worry about getting bombed when you go to the mall, or to an amusement park, etc.  And you have no idea how grateful I am for that.. and how sorry I am when any American or innocent Iraqi lives are lost due to insurgents. 

Let me get this straight Andrea.. your serious?

You think because US Troops are off getting blown up in Iraq (a country which really wasn't exactly an al qaueda (sp) hotbed before) there won't be attacks on the US again?

Oh PUHLEASE!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/06/05 at 5:26 pm

Yes your right.

In 1998 8 American's were killed when the Kenyan and Tanzanian Embassies were bombed.
There was no advanced warning and no real way to stop them happening. (car bombs)

Young Georgey seems to have a car bomb go off every week during his administration.

Clinton appropriated almost a Billion dollars to make structural improvements to US embassies around the world.. I'm yet to see what George has done.

How are we to ever know there was no advanced warning? Shall we question that...
Young Georgey can't help those who want to committ suicide and take innocent lives with them.

That's some feat for Clinton, but hardly getting to the "core" of the problem that we were on the eve of major terroist attacks that he so blithely avoided. I think many people have just turned their nose from the good that George has done, and automaticaly assumed the worst. One thing I have always kept in mind, with any president, is that none of them are going to do 100% of what they say they're going to do - to believe that would be really gullable.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 5:33 pm

How are we to ever know there was no advanced warning? Shall we question that...
Young Georgey can't help those who want to committ suicide and take innocent lives with them.

That's some feat for Clinton, but hardly getting to the "core" of the problem that we were on the eve of major terroist attacks that he so blithely avoided. I think many people have just turned their nose from the good that George has done, and automaticaly assumed the worst. One thing I have always kept in mind, with any president, is that none of them are going to do 100% of what they say they're going to do - to believe that would be really gullable.

That's true, we can't know there was no advanced warning, that applys to all similar acts acts.
Young Bill couldn't help those who wanted to comitt suicide and take innocent lives with them either.  ;)

That he so Blithely ignored. OH FOR CHRISTS SAKE! The clinton administration passed on vast amounts of information to the Bush administration about the possibility of Terrorist attacks in the US. Not only that, Bin Laden was considerd one of the biggest threats during the Clinton administration, Clintin ordered attacks on possible al quaeda hide outs and training facilities.
Also, specific information was handed down regarding the use of Planes as weapons.

To ignore these facts is ridiculous, but ridiculous and the Bush administration go hand in hand as that's exactly what they did. Ignore the Intelligence that was given to them.

George has done many good things here at Home, however his Forign Policy is godawful. I dare say a 5 year old could do better. Let's see.. if we piss off everyone, they're not gonna like us, if we're nice.. maybe they will. Doh! George, why couldn't you think of that  ::)

No Politician will do 10% of what they say they will, they just want your vote. It's not what they say they're going to do that's Important, it's what they actually do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/05 at 6:16 pm

Yes.

Bush is a great president if you are rich, greedy, and care nothing for the future.  Otherwise, he's the worst president since Johnson...Andrew Johnson.  Of course, it's hard to compare the presidency prior to FDR to the modern presidency.
The Bush White House has no policy apparatus, foreign or domestic.  It has only a propaganda machine.  Bush is lead solely by the greed of corporations, defense contractors, and Wall Street.  Unquenchable greed dominates everything the man does.  He boasts of not reading the newspapers or finding out anything for himself.  He just listens to his whacky neo-con advisors who, like the Trotskyites of yore, are long on theory and short on reality.  He didn't listen to the generals or the joint-chiefs on Iraq, he let Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz, and the rest of those clowns lead the way.  Not that it mattered.  Bush was going to attach Iraq no matter what.  War is healthy for the defense budget and other growing things.
Bush is on the same page as Reagan: make the rich richer, comfort the comfortable, afflict the afflicted, give your heart to Jesus and steal everything that isn't nailed down!  The difference is, Reagan could wheel and deal.  He was the "Great Communicator."  Bush is a dope who can scarcely string together a complete sentence.  Whether Reagan's policies were right or wrong, he knew how to maintain our allegiances, and he could deal with a sticky situation.  Reagan played hardball with Gorbachev, and got the job done.  I didn't agree with most of Reagan's foreign policy, but he knew the difference between brinkmanship and dinkmanship, between hardball and goofball.  Even George HW Bush knew how to put together an coalition of our allies to strengthen foreign relations and difray costs before going to war.  Dubya just said "yer either with us or ag'in us," and declared he didn't need to listen to anybody but Jesus.
Dubya's advice after 9/11: "Go shopping."
This president is without a doubt the most stupid, ham-fisted, other-directed, insensitive, tin-eared, spendthrift, foolhardy, naive, irresponsible, unaccountable, slippery, mealy-mouthed, and arrogant commander-in-chief since Andrew Johnson.
Welcome to the redneckocracy!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/06/05 at 6:52 pm

That's true, we can't know there was no advanced warning, that applys to all similar acts acts.
Young Bill couldn't help those who wanted to comitt suicide and take innocent lives with them either.  ;)

That he so Blithely ignored. OH FOR CHRISTS SAKE! The clinton administration passed on vast amounts of information to the Bush administration about the possibility of Terrorist attacks in the US. Not only that, Bin Laden was considerd one of the biggest threats during the Clinton administration, Clintin ordered attacks on possible al quaeda hide outs and training facilities.
Also, specific information was handed down regarding the use of Planes as weapons.

To ignore these facts is ridiculous, but ridiculous and the Bush administration go hand in hand as that's exactly what they did. Ignore the Intelligence that was given to them.

George has done many good things here at Home, however his Forign Policy is goshawful. I dare say a 5 year old could do better. Let's see.. if we tick off everyone, they're not gonna like us, if we're nice.. maybe they will. Doh! George, why couldn't you think of that  ::)

No Politician will do 10% of what they say they will, they just want your vote. It's not what they say they're going to do that's Important, it's what they actually do.

I guess what I am getting at is although Clinton appeared to know this information, there wasn't a whole lot done to prepare for any attacks. I mean, one attack is pretty scary - that isn't something to take lightly- especially if it happened 2 1/2 years before he left the presidency. Although it was good for him to go after him in Afghanistan and try to do missile attacks against the Al Queda, Americans were very much in the dark at how threatening Bin Laden really was. This, to me, was an oversight by the Clinton administration with the fact that we should have been more heavily warned and better prepared for any more such attacks - especially if we had "vast" amounts of information handed down to Bush. 

Written By: ADH13 on 09/06/05 at 7:08 pm

Let me get this straight Andrea.. your serious?

You think because US Troops are off getting blown up in Iraq (a country which really wasn't exactly an al qaueda (sp) hotbed before) there won't be attacks on the US again?

Oh PUHLEASE!

Oh, I'm sure there will be.. because once again, America will become lax... let our guard down, close military bases, cut defense spending.. and leave ourselves wide open to those who think the world needs to be rid of "infidels".

I doubt they will occur during this administration... but only time will tell.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 7:12 pm

This, to me, was an oversight by the Clinton administration with the fact that we should have been more heavily warned

Of course, so we could have had the Police state Bush and his neo-Con cronies want  ::)

Oh, I'm sure there will be.. because once again, America will become lax... let our guard down, close military bases, cut defense spending.. and leave ourselves wide open to those who are seeking an islam world.

We would spend 100% of the budget on defence and still be attacked. I could be building a bomb right now.. I'm not.. I'm technically and mechanically retarded, but i could be. Terrorism is Unstoppable. Anybody can become disenchanted and decide to take things in to there own hands..

Written By: ADH13 on 09/06/05 at 7:14 pm

Of course, so we could have had the Police state Bush and his neo-Con cronies want  ::)

We would spend 100% of the budget on defence and still be attacked. I could be building a bomb right now.. I'm not.. I'm technically and mechanically retarded, but i could be. Terrorism is Unstoppable. Anybody can become disenchanted and decide to take things in to there own hands..

well.. if the world hates us more than ever before... and we haven't been attacked in almost 4 years.. I'd say we're doing something right.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/06/05 at 7:16 pm

My answer remains the same.  Definitely not!
I can depend on snow in the winter and getting slammed for what I say in here...but hey, at least we have 9 other people who agree with us :D ;)

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 7:30 pm

well.. if the world hates us more than ever before... and we haven't been attacked in almost 4 years.. I'd say we're doing something right.

Here is a question for you. In the long run, what's more beneficial.. spending billions of dollars on a war that wasn't needed, or Spending Billions of dollars helping those who are impoverished throughout the world spreading goodwill.

I realize this is not in reality exactly the way it works, it's a very simplified version but the key principals are the same.

We have gotten off the Issue however of How poorly (or well as some people suggest) George is performing. I'm sorry for going off on a tangent (i realise that's frowned upon  ;))

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/06/05 at 7:33 pm

Theres something about this part of the board that brings out the worst in people.  ::)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/06/05 at 7:34 pm

We would spend 100% of the budget on defence and still be attacked.
Could you restate that, I didn't really get it (I think my brain is getting tired at this time of day)

I could be building a bomb right now.. I'm not.. I'm technically and mechanically retarded, but i could be. Terrorism is Unstoppable. Anybody can become disenchanted and decide to take things in to there own hands..

Let me serve you an interesting thing I have learned in my economies book. It's a comparison of piracy in the 1700's compared to our terrorist attacks on 9/11 and the effects these have on our economy. Pirates were compared to modern day terrorists because they also scared the bejesus out of innocent people and caused loads of loss to the nations who were in port in the West Indies making trades, while losing all or most of their goods. This wasn't good for the early American economy nor was it favorable for people who wanted to trade in those regions of pirate laden islands. It goes to serve that trying to rid of pirates and their terrorizing ways can only make an economy stronger. This isn't my opinion, but just an interesting observation/comparison.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/06/05 at 7:35 pm

My guess is Lincoln had an under 50% approval rating when he was president during the time of the war between the states.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 7:39 pm

Let me serve you an interesting thing I have learned in my economies book. It's a comparison of piracy in the 1700's compared to our terrorist attacks on 9/11 and the effects these have on our economy. Pirates were compared to modern day terrorists because they also scared the bejesus out of innocent people and caused loads of loss to the nations who were in port in the West Indies making trades, while losing all or most of their goods. This wasn't good for the early American economy nor was it favorable for people who wanted to trade in those regions of pirate laden islands. It goes to serve that trying to rid of pirates and their terrorizing ways can only make an economy stronger. This isn't my opinion, but just an interesting observation/comparison.

I think the comparison is slightly different but along the same lines.

Yes, if terrorism was eliminated i dare say all aspects of life, the economy being one of them, would improve, unfortunatley, as i have previously said, It can't be fully eliminated.

Death is just a by-product of terrorism. The main point of it is to cause Terror as the name implys. This terror can be in the form of stopping people leaving there homes, or as we've seen here in the US. People fearing each other and being afraid to speak out.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/06/05 at 7:55 pm

Here is a question for you. In the long run, what's more beneficial.. spending billions of dollars on a war that wasn't needed, or Spending Billions of dollars helping those who are impoverished throughout the world spreading goodwill.

Well, like I've said from day one... we already DO dish out billions of dollars to other places in the world.  Unfortunately, Afghanistan(taliban) and Iraq (saddam) were two of the ones we foolishly dished out money/weapons to.  You see, other countries say they don't want us involved in their affairs.  Yet, they have no problem with us meddling by sending them money.  I think it should be one way or the other... and I would be satisfied EITHER way.  Either we provide financial support to the rest of the world, AND we have some say as to what goes on in the world...  OR we stay out of international affairs, and we keep our money here.

I'm not saying we can't buy foreign products or anything... but the "helping" Israel.. "helping" Afghanistan.. "helping" Iraq... should stop, if we aren't going to have any power over what they do with this money.

Written By: PaperGirl on 09/06/05 at 8:10 pm

Yes.  Despise the man.  Plain and simple. 

Written By: EthanM on 09/06/05 at 8:30 pm

How about we send aid to people who need it and not warring human rights violators? Or is that too complicated?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/06/05 at 8:35 pm

he's nowhere near being the best...but he is not the worst either.

Erin :)

Written By: Harmonica on 09/06/05 at 9:18 pm

How about we send aid to people who need it and not warring human rights violators? Or is that too complicated?

"need"    What makes one group of people more deserving than another? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/05 at 10:12 pm

My guess is Lincoln had an under 50% approval rating when he was president during the time of the war between the states.

Yeah, but Dubya ain't noooooo Abe Lincoln!

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/06/05 at 11:49 pm

I voted "Yes". I don't know when exactly the poll started, or how much the people who voted "No" have the watched the news this past week, but if you are aware of the fact that President Bush cut the federal funding for the Gulf Coast flood control program by 44% percent specifically to help fund the Iraq war, and not only that, but he did it in 2004. Not 2003 or 2002 but in one of the worst hurricane seasons on record! And experts have been giving dire warnings on New Orleans for years.

This is a disaster larger-in-scale than 9/11. We have lost an estimated 10,000 fellow citizens at the least, entire communities have been devastated. Gulfport, Mississippi is 90% destroyed. I mean the buildings were completely LEVELED. The Governor of MS said it looked like Hiroshima. The ENTIRE town of Bay St.Louis is gone. Both towns I visited extensively as a child with my family; many fond memories. This has forced hundreds of thousands of people out of their homes.

It took FEMA, several days to react to the worst natural disaster in American history. Today, President Bush had the nerve to tell that puke Mike Brown, the director of FEMA, that even though he wasn't "happy with the results", that "you(FEMA) are doing a good job". If the results aren't satisfactory, the JOB is unsatisfactory. That was nothing but self-serving crap and a pathetic and contrived attempt to save a little face for FEMA that backfired. And more importantly, it demonstrates how direly out of touch the President is with the situation. NINETEEN New Orleans police officers have TAKEN THEIR  OWN LIVES out of frustration with the lack of help. Over 200 have resigned.

President Bush has miserably failed our nation at it's most needy hour. Any illusions that this man is actually protecting us should tumble like a house of cards now. Remember, 4 years after 9/11 only 1 in 10 cargo crates shipped into this country are screened.

I just don't understand how anyone fully aware of the situation could in good concious vote No.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/06/05 at 11:53 pm

I voted "Yes". I don't know when exactly the poll started, or how much the people who voted "No" have the watched the news this past week, but if you are aware of the fact that President Bush cut the federal funding for the Gulf Coast flood control program by 44% percent specifically to help fund the Iraq war, and not only that, but he did it in 2004. Not 2003 or 2002 but in one of the worst hurricane seasons on record! And experts have been giving dire warnings on New Orleans for years.

This is a disaster larger-in-scale than 9/11. We have lost an estimated 10,000 fellow citizens at the least, entire communities have been devastated. Gulfport, Mississippi is 90% destroyed. I mean the buildings were completely LEVELED. The Governor of MS said it looked like Hiroshima. The ENTIRE town of Bay St.Louis is gone. Both towns I visited extensively as a child with my family; many fond memories. This has forced hundreds of thousands of people out of their homes.

It took FEMA, several days to react to the worst natural disaster in American history. Today, President Bush had the nerve to tell that puke Mike Brown, the director of FEMA, that even though he wasn't "happy with the results", that "you(FEMA) are doing a good job". If the results aren't satisfactory, the JOB is unsatisfactory. That was nothing but self-serving crap and a pathetic and contrived attempt to save a little face for FEMA that backfired. And more importantly, it demonstrates how direly out of touch the President is with the situation. NINETEEN New Orleans police officers have TAKEN THEIR  OWN LIVES out of frustration with the lack of help. Over 200 have resigned.

President Bush has miserably failed our nation at it's most needy hour. Any illusions that this man is actually protecting us should tumble like a house of cards now. Remember, 4 years after 9/11 only 1 in 10 cargo crates shipped into this country are screened.

That's the best put argument i've seen regarding this whole sorry situation Alex. Bravo, I applaud you.

I just don't understand how anyone fully aware of the situation could in good concious vote No.

'Blinded By The Right'

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/06/05 at 11:57 pm

Thank you, Andrew. I feel very strongly about this, as i have strong ties to the delta an gulf coast region.

Also, i'd like to add: Here in Texas we have a saying about how some people all are hat and no cattle. That means they talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk. President Bush is most definitely all hat and no cattle. And you know what, I disown the guy as a Texan. He wasn't even born here anyway, hes a WASP silver spooner from Conneticut.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/07/05 at 12:03 am

Thank you, Andrew. I feel very strongly about this, as i have strong ties to the delta an gulf coast region.

Also, i'd like to add: Here in Texas we have a saying about how some people all are hat and no cattle. That means they talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk. President Bush is most definitely all hat and no cattle. And you know what, I disown the guy as a Texan. He wasn't even born here anyway, hes a WASP silver spooner from Conneticut.

Oh but Alex, he wears one of them purrdy hat's, he's a cowboy gosh dagnabbit.. after all, he lives in a ranch house  ::) Poor lil' Georgey, he lives in an illusion. Much like some of the Neo Con's do. It's all an illusion.

The Man failed his way to the Presidency and now he's failing his way out of it. I do however believe this incident will stand the test of time and tell people just what Lil George was like.

'Daddy, Daddy, you had to live in that evil George Bush's Imperialistic reign?'
"Yes son, we had it tough, we didn't know when the Fed's were gonna burst through the door and arrest us for exercising our rights of free speech"
'I heard he cut spending in areas that were almost certain to be hit by Hurricanes, is that true?'
"Yes son, it seems he just enjoyed other people's misery"
'Daddy, will he come back from the Grave like Regan?'
"No son, even his own people got sick and tired of him eventually, now go back to bed, you have to be up at 5 to read from the Quaran"

;D (I'm sorry everybody.. but you can see it happening can't you)

Written By: Harmonica on 09/07/05 at 12:08 am

Yeah, but Dubya ain't noooooo Abe Lincoln!

That wasn't his point though.

His point was that a larger majority than 50% were against Abe Lincoln of the United States.  Therefore stating that a democracy of voting does not always clean cut the good, bad and the ugly.

If it did, I'd be bordering The Confederacy rather than Missouri.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/07/05 at 12:19 am

How did he even get elected governor in the first place? SInce you're from Texas, maybe you can help me on this one. My understanding was that he defeated a popular incumbent, Ann Richards, back in 1994. Did he win simply because of his last name? Or did he latch onto some controversial issue (like gay marriage) that got the Christian Right in Texas all fired up?

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 12:21 am

People please understand, i didnt mean my argument in a partisan way. Quite frankly, screw conservatism and liberalism both at the moment. All of those other issues like gay marriage, gun control, creationism vs. evolution, etc. seem very miniscule and meaningless measured against the hurricane and what it has wrought. This is life and death in a very ultimate example. Screw the question of whether what Bush has done is too conservative or not conservative enough or what! What matters is how he has handled the REALITY of what is going on.

I have the honor of knowing a soon-to-be-ex-marine and Iraq vet, whom told that when his wife gets overly mad and upset over something, he reminds her "bullets are flying, people are dying, your petty like anger means nothing to the reality of whats going on". Thats a good analogy we can apply to our government right now. Our partisan fights mean crap, in the face of what the hurricane has done. We HAVE to put it aside, please. Each and every person who dies or is misplaced from their home and/or family is a human beings. Imagine the effects of your entire life being destroyed or losing a loved one, and then imagine it happening hundreds of thousands of times over(millions counting the people who are ok but their homes were destroyed). Please, for the sake of your fellow humans(forget american vs non-american, forget southern vs nortern, repub vs dem etc.), drop the partisan viewpoint for awhile.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 12:26 am

How did he even get elected governor in the first place? SInce you're from Texas, maybe you can help me on this one. My understanding was that he defeated a popular incumbent, Ann Richards, back in 1994. Did he win simply because of his last name? Or did he latch onto some controversial issue (like gay marriage) that got the Christian Right in Texas all fired up?

Didn't follow that election, I was a child at the time and did not pay attention to politics. It'd be an interesting election to research though for some historical context on his rise to political fame.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/07/05 at 12:31 am

People please understand, i didnt mean my argument in a partisan way. Quite frankly, screw conservatism and liberalism both at the moment. All of those other issues like gay marriage, gun control, creationism vs. evolution, etc. seem very miniscule and meaningless measured against the hurricane and what it has wrought. This is life and death in a very ultimate example. Screw the question of whether what Bush has done is too conservative or not conservative enough or what! What matters is how he has handled the REALITY of what is going on.

I have the honor of knowing a soon-to-be-ex-marine and Iraq vet, whom told that when his wife gets overly mad and upset over something, he reminds her "bullets are flying, people are dying, your petty like anger means nothing to the reality of whats going on". Thats a good analogy we can apply to our government right now. Our partisan fights mean crap, in the face of what the hurricane has done. We HAVE to put it aside, please. Each and every person who dies or is misplaced from their home and/or family is a human beings. Imagine the effects of your entire life being destroyed or losing a loved one, and then imagine it happening hundreds of thousands of times over(millions counting the people who are ok but their homes were destroyed). Please, for the sake of your fellow humans(forget american vs non-american, forget southern vs nortern, repub vs dem etc.), drop the partisan viewpoint for awhile.

This a strong conviction of what should be taken as a standpoint.  I like what you had to say, and think your right in many ways.

Realize even if the rest of the world agreed with you there would be a "Ok, what action do we take"  which would take the liberals and conservatives a long time to agree to, then the question of "How do we take the action" once we decided the action to take would be a conclusion that enternity might have the time to tackle.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/07/05 at 12:36 am

I'm just not into the whole "Shoulda, coulda, woulda" game.  Did you say at anytime prior to the hurricane that the federal government should invest more money into building up the levees and floodwalls in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana?

See, we had intelligence (not concrete) that terrorists were planning to fly planes into buildings.  "WE SHOULDA DONE SOMETHING!  THIS COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED!  BUSH SCREWED UP!"
(What if we HAD done something, and 9/11 never happened.. I can see the protesters already..We had no PROOF they were going to fly planes into buildings!)

We had intelligence (not concrete) that Iraq had WMD's.  We did something.  "WE SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE ANYTHING!  WE DIDN'T HAVE PROOF!  BUSH SCREWED UP AGAIN!"
(What if Saddam HAD attacked us?  I can hear it now.. "WE SHOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING!")

We spend a large amount of money on national defense.  "WE SHOULDN'T HAVE PUT SO MUCH MONEY INTO DEFENSE!  WE SHOULD USE IT TO HELP THE NEEDY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD! BUSH SCREWED UP AGAIN!"
(And if we were successfully attacked again??  Of course... WE SHOULD HAVE SPENT MORE TO PROTECT THIS COUNTRY!  BUSH ISN'T PROTECTING US!")

We didn't spend enough on hurricane defense."BUSH SCREWED UP AGAIN!"
(And if we spent the money and this never happened??  "WHY ARE WE SPENDING ALL THIS MONEY TO UPGRADE TO A CLASS 5 HURRICANE DEFENSE.. WHEN IT WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAPPEN?  OUR DEFICIT IS SO HIGH ALREADY AND WE NEED HEALTHCARE REFORM!")

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/07/05 at 12:40 am

I'm just not into the whole "Shoulda, coulda, woulda" game.  Did you say at anytime prior to the hurricane that the federal government should invest more money into building up the levees and floodwalls in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana?

Don't blame Alex, he believes (from what he wrote) that that levee would have survived the category four hurricane if it just had a few million more federal and state tax dollars.  ::)

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 12:42 am

Did you not read a word I said in my latest post? Why are you turning this into a partisan-based argument? This is life and death and it just seems horrendously unempathetic on your part to drag this argument into that arena. There are more important things right now then the silly insecurity that this is just another liberal-based bashing of the President. He cut flood protection funding in HALF in one of the WORST hurricane seasons on record. You can see no logical fallacy there? If you haven't noticed, there is a barrage of criticizism from BOTH sides of the aisle, Andrea.

GWB, a few million more? HE CUT THE FUNDING IN HALF. In a time period in which it was being demonstrated to the entire country that hurricanes are a very serious threat to our coast that we needed to be better protected against. WHY ARE YOU POLITICIZING THIS??  >:(

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/07/05 at 12:46 am

See, we had intelligence (not concrete) that terrorists were planning to fly planes into buildings.  "WE SHOULDA DONE SOMETHING!  THIS COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED!  BUSH SCREWED UP!"
(What if we HAD done something, and 9/11 never happened.. I can see the protesters already..We had no PROOF they were going to fly planes into buildings!)

We had intelligence (not concrete) that Iraq had WMD's.  We did something.  "WE SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE ANYTHING!  WE DIDN'T HAVE PROOF!  BUSH SCREWED UP AGAIN!"
(What if Saddam HAD attacked us?  I can hear it now.. "WE SHOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING!")

We spend a large amount of money on national defense.  "WE SHOULDN'T HAVE PUT SO MUCH MONEY INTO DEFENSE!  WE SHOULD USE IT TO HELP THE NEEDY PEOPLE IN THE WORLD! BUSH SCREWED UP AGAIN!"
(And if we were successfully attacked again??  Of course... WE SHOULD HAVE SPENT MORE TO PROTECT THIS COUNTRY!  BUSH ISN'T PROTECTING US!")

(And if we spent the money and this never happened??  "WHY ARE WE SPENDING ALL THIS MONEY TO UPGRADE TO A CLASS 5 HURRICANE DEFENSE.. WHEN IT WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAPPEN?  OUR DEFICIT IS SO HIGH ALREADY AND WE NEED HEALTHCARE REFORM!")

*applauds*

I 100% agree with you, Andrea. No matter what the situation may be--no one will EVER be satisfied. No matter what the president does--people will always find flaw in it. Damned if you do---damned if you don't.

Beth

Written By: Harmonica on 09/07/05 at 12:47 am

Talk about Valid Excellent points.  Radical, yes, but you have to be when making yourself heard on this board.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/07/05 at 12:48 am

Did you not read a word I said in my latest post? Why are you turning this into a partisan-based argument? This is life and death and it just seems horrendously unempathetic on your part to drag this argument into that arena. There are more important things right now then the silly insecurity that this is just another liberal-based bashing of the President. He cut flood protection funding in HALF in one of the WORST hurricane seasons on record. You can see no logical fallacy there? If you haven't noticed, there is a barrage of criticizism from BOTH sides of the aisle, Andrea.

GWB, a few million more? HE CUT THE FUNDING IN HALF. In a time period in which it was being demonstrated to the entire country that hurricanes are a very serious threat to our coast that we needed to be better protected against. WHY ARE YOU POLITICIZING THIS??  >:(

Did you see what my post was in response to???  You were asking how anyone fully aware of the situation could vote no.    Are you asking me to explain why I don't think a certain president is the worst, but to not include anything political in my answer??

Remember???  This is a "worst president" thread...which clearly makes it a political topic. although it got hijacked into another new orleans thread.. but I was simply answering your question. :)

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/07/05 at 12:49 am

WHY ARE YOU POLITICIZING THIS??  >:(

Oh, the democrats aren't politicizing this?  "Bush this.....Bush that.....hurricaine.....FEMA.....cut this or that.....vacation......slow response......Bush....."

Sheesh.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 12:52 am

Talk about Valid Excellent points. Radical, yes, but you have to be when making yourself heard on this board.

It may sound profound on the surface, but the entire thing was intellectual fluff. It gave the illusion of having a point, when there was no real point at all. The hindsight 20/20 argument is illogical hogwash that can be applied much to vaguely to too broad a range of issues to actually be relevant to the argument about the situation at hand.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/07/05 at 12:53 am

Oh, the democrats aren't politicizing this?  "Bush this.....Bush that.....hurricaine.....FEMA.....cut this or that.....vacation......slow response......Bush....."

Sheesh.

THANK YOU!

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 12:54 am

Oh, the democrats aren't politicizing this? "Bush this.....Bush that.....hurricaine.....FEMA.....cut this or that.....vacation......slow response......Bush....."

Sheesh.

They are criticizing the man who is supposed to be the leader of this entire country. He dropped the ball in a major disaster. There is no way to logically defend that budget cut(considering the circumstances at the time) he made to the federal flood relief program. Criticizism is cutting across political lines in this country. There have been about 15 freakin articles criticizing him in the DALLAS MORNING NEWS. Newsflash: On the political radar, it isnt exactly the New York Times.

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/07/05 at 12:56 am

This is a hard question to answer.

Bush is by far on the bottom half of the list of the worst presidents ever.  But by no means is he our WORST president.  Granted, Ive only lived through 4 including him, so I cant really talk about how life was under FDR or Andrew Johnson so to compare.  I can only go by how we view these people in hindsight, and intelligent thought and analysis about their policies and administrations.  FDR was hated by just as many as he was loved.  Johnson was hated by anyone not from the south.  Grant was hated for being incompetant and out of touch and elitist.  Andrew Jackson was hated for not being elitist enough (among other things that just seem stupid now).  Lincoln was hated by southerners.  Harding was hated for corruption.  Hoover was hated for the Depression.  Nixon for corruption and Cambodia.  LBJ for Vietnam and corruption, Carter, Ford for incompetance, Reagan for being too conservative, Clinton for sexual encounters, John Adams for the Alien and Sedition acts, etc etc etc.  

Not to mention how certain events discussed now later on have tarnished many presidents reputations: Jefferson, Washington, Madison, Lincoln, Monroe, all the greats.  

To determine this I have to go by how history has viewed the former presidents, and the fact that there will never be, or ever was, a president that was loved by everyone, or hated by everyone, so that everyone agrees that he belongs as the worst ever.  

Bush is a bad president.  Not the worst ever, at least according to myself after a tabulation of the facts.  Grant was pretty bad lol.  But in 20 or 30 years, will we view Bush the same way?  Who knows.  

The question asks if he is ONE OF the worst ever, not THE WORST ever.  So the answer is yes.  And this is coming from a Republican....Not a Neo-Con.    

Written By: ADH13 on 09/07/05 at 1:01 am

They are criticizing the man who is supposed to be the leader of this entire country. 

I hate to break it to you, Alex.. but that is called... POLITICIZING.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 1:05 am

I hate to break it to you, Alex.. but that is called... POLITICIZING.

Criticism and politicking don't go hand in hand, Andrea. The difference between the two is that criticism is based on pragmatic reasoning(i.e. based soley on real factors existing in the situation), whilst political critique is based from pre-constructed ideological standpoints. If you are going to try to condenscend to someone, make sure you know the exact definition of the words you are using.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/07/05 at 1:06 am

Criticism and politicking don't go hand in hand, Andrea. The difference between the two is that criticism is based on pragmatic reasoning(i.e. based soley on real factors existing in the situation), whilst political critique is based from pre-constructed ideological standpoints. If you are going to try to condenscend to someone, make sure you know the exact definition of the words you are using.

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily....

Beth

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 1:09 am

Oh, also, please don't play semantics games with me. That was what you were doing by trying to argue because I was making my points in a Worst President thread, that that automatically meant they were political in nature, despite the fact I explicitly stated they weren't.

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily....

Beth

If you meant that jokingly, I don't get it.  ???

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/07/05 at 1:10 am

That's okay. I wouldn't expect you to get a joke, Alex  ;)

Beth

Written By: ADH13 on 09/07/05 at 1:12 am

Oh, also, please don't play semantics games with me. That was what you were doing by trying to argue because I was making my points in a Worst President thread, that that automatically meant they were political in nature, despite the fact I explicitly stated they weren't.

semantics games??  LOL ;D

HOW on earth DID you expect me to explain WHY i voted no... without my answer involving politics??  I wasn't answering your post as a whole.. that's why I quoted the part I was responding to.  Which was...
"I just don't understand how anyone fully aware of the situation could in good concious vote No."

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 1:13 am

That's okay. I wouldn't expect you to get a joke, Alex ;)

Beth

If you want to personally criticize me, don't be all cutesy with the smilies. A barb even if thrown softly still cuts, you know?

I know the quote is from my profile, but how what made it a joke in context of what you quoted from me? I didn't see the correlation.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 09/07/05 at 1:15 am

If you want to personally criticize me, don't be all cutesy with the smilies. A barb even if thrown softly still cuts, you know?

I know the quote is from my profile, but how what made it a joke in context of what you quoted from me? I didn't see the correlation.

Who's criticizing? Alex, if I were criticizing you---I'd let you know it.  ;)

Beth

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 1:15 am

semantics games??  LOL ;D

HOW on earth DID you expect me to explain WHY i voted no... without my answer involving politics??  I wasn't answering your post as a whole.. that's why I quoted the part I was responding to.  Which was...
"I just don't understand how anyone fully aware of the situation could in good concious vote No."

Because believe it or not you can come up with real thoughts about the world without doing it from a political perspective. Novel concept for you, I suppose.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/07/05 at 1:16 am

Because believe it or not you can come up with real thoughts about the world without doing it from a political perspective. Novel concept for you, I suppose.

Alex... WTF??  You didn't ask me for my real thoughts on the world.. you asked me why I voted that Bush isn't the worst president!!! >:(

Who's playing games here?!?!

Written By: jackas on 09/07/05 at 1:18 am

My little China Girl, you shouldn't mess with me I'll ruin everything you are

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 1:26 am

My little China Girl, you shouldn't mess with me I'll ruin everything you are

Well, maybe someone took my advice finally! Keep truckin, Chrissy. Have a rum and coke for me. :P

Written By: jackas on 09/07/05 at 1:39 am

Well, maybe someone took my advice finally! Keep truckin, Chrissy. Have a rum and coke for me. :P

It was getting a little too crazy.  I had to do something. :P ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/07/05 at 3:24 am

The question asks if he is ONE OF the worst ever, not THE WORST ever.  So the answer is yes.  And this is coming from a Republican....Not a Neo-Con.    

Ah, someone with my point of view ;)

Written By: PaperGirl on 09/07/05 at 8:26 am

Amen! 

Written By: Harmonica on 09/07/05 at 8:33 am

It may sound profound on the surface, but the entire thing was intellectual fluff. It gave the illusion of having a point, when there was no real point at all. The hindsight 20/20 argument is illogical hogwash that can be applied much to vaguely to too broad a range of issues to actually be relevant to the argument about the situation at hand.

All due respect Alex, I disagree. Her point was no matter what Bush does the liberals are going to find it wrong. That is of course unless Bush became there politcal slave, but let's be realistic, that ain't going to happen.  Now, I dare not say one way or the other  that conservatives would be doing the same to Kerry if he was in office.  Most likely they would.  You can not deny that the liberals aren't doing it, cause they are. That was her point, and she clarified it well.

Written By: whitewolf on 09/07/05 at 9:19 am

It's like that all over the world. someone is always going to find fault no matter what.
No one-not even Bush could predict the future and know that this hurricane was going to happen.
good points andrea :)

Written By: EthanM on 09/07/05 at 9:38 am

but all the weather forecasters predicted it

Written By: jackas on 09/07/05 at 10:17 am

The weather forecasters predicted that hurricanes were going to hit the US this year......they didn't know what category these hurricanes would be and where they would hit.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/07/05 at 10:40 am

"Since when could weathermen predict the weather" Michael J Fox as Marty Mc'Fly "Back to the Future" 1985.

I love using movie quotes, in all sense of reality weather men and women do a great job of forcasting the weather to the best of there abilities with what technology provides. 

Still.......exact time and date was a factor in this exact situation...which wasn't provided.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/07/05 at 11:00 am

It's like that all over the world. someone is always going to find fault no matter what.
No one-not even Bush could predict the future and know that this hurricane was going to happen.
good points andrea :)

I agree!  There isn't anything the man could or couldn't do that wouldn't upset someone or another. Nobody is perfect...and no matter who we had in office, there would still be things that they would do that a lot would deem as "stupid". I know that I certainly don't envy Bush or any other leader that may or may not have to be in these kinds of positions and situations.....it's been a rough several years, and he is only human. I'm not saying that perhaps someone would have made better decisions, etc....but we will never know. I am not in love with the guy...but I don't hate his guts either.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/05 at 11:23 am

This is a hard question to answer.

Bush is by far on the bottom half of the list of the worst presidents ever.  But by no means is he our WORST president.  Granted, Ive only lived through 4 including him, so I cant really talk about how life was under FDR or Andrew Johnson so to compare.  I can only go by how we view these people in hindsight, and intelligent thought and analysis about their policies and administrations.  FDR was hated by just as many as he was loved.  Johnson was hated by anyone not from the south.  Grant was hated for being incompetant and out of touch and elitist.  Andrew Jackson was hated for not being elitist enough (among other things that just seem stupid now).  Lincoln was hated by southerners.  Harding was hated for corruption.  Hoover was hated for the Depression.  Nixon for corruption and Cambodia.  LBJ for Vietnam and corruption, Carter, Ford for incompetance, Reagan for being too conservative, Clinton for sexual encounters, John Adams for the Alien and Sedition acts, etc etc etc. 

Not to mention how certain events discussed now later on have tarnished many presidents reputations: Jefferson, Washington, Madison, Lincoln, Monroe, all the greats. 

To determine this I have to go by how history has viewed the former presidents, and the fact that there will never be, or ever was, a president that was loved by everyone, or hated by everyone, so that everyone agrees that he belongs as the worst ever. 

Bush is a bad president.  Not the worst ever, at least according to myself after a tabulation of the facts.  Grant was pretty bad lol.  But in 20 or 30 years, will we view Bush the same way?  Who knows. 

The question asks if he is ONE OF the worst ever, not THE WORST ever.  So the answer is yes.  And this is coming from a Republican....Not a Neo-Con.   

Very well put.

Cat

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/07/05 at 11:57 am

Sheesh.

Oh please tell me you didn't just say that. This from a man who's party Politicized every single event during the Clinton Administration.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/07/05 at 11:59 am

The question asks if he is ONE OF the worst ever, not THE WORST ever.  So the answer is yes.  And this is coming from a Republican....Not a Neo-Con.   

The Republican party only exists in name now Billy. You for one must know that.

Actual Conservative values aren't upheld, Faux Christian Values are the meal of the day.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/07/05 at 1:32 pm

Certainly there will be no surprise that I voted yes, YES, YES!!!  The following editorial from the Rutland Herald says it very well.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050907/NEWS/509070306/1018/OPINION

Above several people stated that "he couldn't have known" etc.  Fact is that the Army Corps of Engineers, charged with flood control on the Big Muddy, had their budget cut drastically over the past few years, and had to abandon both planning and execution of levee maintanance and improvements.  FEMA didn't begin to respond until days after the storm hit, yet after crossing Florida it was very clear, days before impact, where the strorm was going and that it was a biggy.  But even if all this is discounted, as the editorial says, there is MUCH MUCH more.  It could take a generation to undo all the disasters Lil' Georgie has caused.

Written By: jackas on 09/07/05 at 7:05 pm

Fact is that the Army Corps of Engineers, charged with flood control on the Big Muddy, had their budget cut drastically over the past few years, and had to abandon both planning and execution of levee maintanance and improvements. 

The Army Corps of Engineers seems to be saying something different.

http://www.usace.army.mil/PA-09-01.pdf

Written By: Kenlos on 09/07/05 at 7:24 pm

I normally don't post in this section but I for some reason had to jump at this one.  I have to say the anwser to that is no.  As a matter of fact if you look at the history of US presidents there is actually more evidence to the fact that he could potentially go down as one of the greats in the future.  If you look through history at all of the presidents that are considered the greats like, Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, and so on they all have one thing in common.  They were all extremely controversial, I mean look at Lincoln a chunck of this country seceded under his rule, can't get more controversial than that.  So the most controversial presidents tend to go down as the greatest presidents.  No one here can say Bush isn't controversial. Roosevelt is probably the best one to relate Bush too.  Roosevelt was one of the most hated presidents of all time but now he is considered to be one of the greatest and now even has a memorial for him in DC.  Both had a struggling enomony when they came in to office to deal with, though Roosevelt did have a bigger economic problems to deal with but still we were in a Recession when Bush came in, and Bush took a page right out of Roosevelts book when dealing with the recession.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/07/05 at 7:51 pm

George W. Bush is a joke....yes,he did steal the Presidency, not like Nixon stole it...the difference is Tricky Dick got caught with his proverbial hands in the cookie jar....and George W. got away with the thievery!

Written By: Hairspray on 09/07/05 at 7:57 pm

To all of those who replied and were brave enough to give your opinion and stand your ground, regardless of whether the answer to the topic question was "yes" or "no,” I applaud you.  It takes a great deal of energy to make it in this forum, especially with explosive subjects ridden with controversy.  Whether I agree or disagree, I respect your opinions and your right to have them.

I've been working very hard at trying to be objective with respect to Bush and his administration and as to whether or not they have been efficient in their roles as leaders of our great country.  The fact of the matter is that Bush and his administration have demonstrated a monstrous degree of incompetence in many areas.  Whatever positive accomplishments  he may have done, more numerous are his failures which continually hurt us as Americans, hurt our country, our nation.

His lack of action and response during one of the worst disasters of our time and in our own country was the last straw for me, as an American, as a person who clearly sees negligence when it occurs, as a human being trying to understand and cope with our realities that plague our nation and its reputation throughout the world.  

I find today very tragic.  When republicans themselves become appalled by their own elected leader, something is terribly wrong.  Most importantly, it proves that such disturbances go beyond party lines and affect everyone.  The plainly visible consequences are a testimony of Bush's legacy.  The effects are undeniable.  Now it's too obvious.  The people of our country and the people of the world are seeing for themselves a great sense of helplessness at the core of our nation.  Bush has caused this country to weaken morally and his stubbornness reigns at the cost of many lives everyday.  

His too little too late reasoning and excuses and his present attempt at motivating the country into an impossible state of optimism are transparent and shameful.  He’s not credible.  In my honest opinion, he’s the president that should have never been.  Pardon me for ranting, but I felt I needed to say all of this if  only to selfishly help myself feel just a little better, if there’s any way that could be accomplished, as I’ve suffered along with the Gulf Coast and its beautiful people.

To any and all of those affected by Katrina directly or indirectly, I’m sorry to all of you, to all of those who can’t see or hear me.  You deserved better than this.  We all deserve better than this.  My thoughts are with you.

In my opinion, Bush is one of the worst presidents in U.S. History.

Written By: EthanM on 09/07/05 at 9:49 pm

Bush being controversial doesn't make him great. Tons of people hated Hoover and history hasn't treated him well. Lincoln was controversial because the general public was racist. FDR was controversial partially because of public conservatism and willingness to confront recent and maybe all history's best example of an axis of evil. Bush is controversial because of his own irrationality, not the irrationality of the public. Sending our troops into an unwinnable war using deceitful tactics  (gulf of Tonkin) to get public approval ruined LBJ's reputation, and his domestic record was much better than Bush's.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 9:49 pm

I was talking to my grandfather on the phone about the hurricane, he is 85 years old, and he said that in his entire life, this is the single worst thing he remembers happening in this country. I can't help but feel that those who are trying to defend the government's response just don't fully understand the impact of what has happened. I have family on the coast, and my aunt whom I live with has family in New Orleans itself. The feeling of desperation is tremendous, and the feeling of betrayal is sickening.

I saw on "Meet The Press" a man from the local New Orleans rescue services, and he said that one of the men on the rescue team's elderly mother called him Tuesday night from the nursing home she lived in, crying and begging for rescue. He told her someone would come. But they couldn't get to her. She called Wednesday, crying and pleading. Thursday too. Friday night they finally were able to get to the nursing home, and he found his mother dead; drowned in her own bed. The man telling what happened completely broke down crying. He said they were sick of press conferences. Sick of promises. That it had been 5 days and there had been no help from the government.

If you can honestly defend that, I doubt you have any ability to empathize with the situation.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/07/05 at 9:59 pm

I was talking to my grandfather on the phone about the hurricane, he is 85 years old, and he said that in his entire life, this is the single worst thing he remembers happening in this country. I can't help but feel that those who are trying to defend the government's response just don't fully understand the impact of what has happened. I have family on the coast, and my aunt whom I live with has family in New Orleans itself. The feeling of desperation is tremendous, and the feeling of betrayal is sickening.

I saw on "Meet The Press" a man from the local New Orleans rescue services, and he said that one of the men on the rescue team's elderly mother called him Tuesday night from the nursing home she lived in, crying and begging for rescue. He told her someone would come. But they couldn't get to her. She called Wednesday, crying and pleading. Thursday too. Friday night they finally were able to get to the nursing home, and he found his mother dead; drowned in her own bed. The man telling what happened completely broke down crying. He said they were sick of press conferences. Sick of promises. That it had been 5 days and there had been no help from the government.

If you can honestly defend that, I doubt you have any ability to empathize with the situation.

it's impossible to rescue everyone....I hate to be that cut and dry....they are all sad situations, and my heart goes out to each and every family....BUT, regardless if they had 2 people rescuing or 10, 000 people rescuing....people will still die.  It is impossible to reach in every single nook and cranny and make sure that everyone is ok....to think that anything of the sort could ever happen, is unrealistic...regardless of what leader is in charge. I would like to see you, or many other people being in charge of all of the efforts...it's very easy to say, "This should have been done", and "that should have been done"...when it's not you that is standing in the shoes of the person (s) in charge.  I mean, realistically, how fast exactly do you expect the efforts to move, in such a catastrophic situation as this? It's not like they could fold their arms together and blink and miraculously help everyone and make everything "all better"....get real. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/07/05 at 10:08 pm

Okay, let's look at reality.....I agree, the govt dropped the ball on this one.....the city of New Orleans (govt) most of all.  However, I'd like someone to tell me how it is possible to evacuate tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people all at once?  Busing them out was not possible as the streets were flooded.  A majority had to be lifted out via helicopter off of rooftops and balconies.  And, let's not forget that New Orleans wasn't the ONLY area affected.  My heart truly goes out to those who lost loved ones in this disaster and I believe that the city should've taken greater measures to get people out beforehand as well as the government should've reacted quicker.  However, you have to also consider the safety of those DOING the rescue.  It's a good idea in theory to go in there, gangbusters, and rescue everyone but when you sit back and think about it for a second, think of the time needed to simply COORDINATE an evacuation of this magnitude.  I honestly don't know that if the government had reacted quicker, the results would have been much better. :-\\

very well said!

Written By: Powerslave on 09/07/05 at 10:10 pm

Five days is still too long to start a relief effort for an event that was forseen for more than a week. When the tsunami hit southern Asia in December, there were international rescue crews on the ground in affected countries less than a day later, and that was an unforeseen event. The Bush administration's response to this emergency was diabolical. Does that make him one of the worst Presidents in US history? I don't know. I never liked him in the first place.

Written By: Powerslave on 09/07/05 at 10:14 pm

However, I'd like someone to tell me how it is possible to evacuate tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people all at once?  

The Chinese managed to do it:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/china-evacuates-790000-as-typhoon-slams-into-coast/2005/09/01/1125302689224.html?oneclick=true

(Yes, I posted this before. It just illustrates the point so well, that I'm using it again.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/05 at 10:20 pm

The politicians are politicizing Katrina because they are politicians.  The only difference between now and thirty years ago is degree and manner.  
The mission of the Republican part has been for 25 solid years to make the people believe the federal government is their enemy.  Now that the Republicans control the federal government entirely, they are trying to have their cake and eat it.  They want the people to believe there are good Republicans (far-right conservatives) and RINOS (Republicans-In-Name-Only), a fifth column composed of any Republican that dares disagree with the White House.  RINOs include Senators Snow and Collins from Maine, Senator Chafee from Rhode Island, Sen. John McCaine from Arizona, and Sen. Chuck Hagel from Nebraska.
If the entire federal government could be run by the Bush White House without interference from elected officials, without "bureaucrats,"  everything would be run perfectly.

If the Democrats controlled Congress and the governor of Louisiana and the mayor of New Orleans were Republicans, the Rove machine would be spinning a different tune.

It's all partisan crapola with these guys.

Meanwhile, the Bush media booster club stays on message like always.  Bill O'Reilly tells us pesky poor people are the cause of their own troubles for not being able to afford a Hummer to haul themselves out of the storm.  Limbaugh says the entire city of New Orleans is itself just a lazy azz welfare queen.  If you're not a rich Republican, you're a loser.  Period.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200509060008

This is the devolution of American discourse under the Bush Administration.  The Repugs have been sawing away at our frontal lobes for a generation, but it was not until they controlled all three branches of government with Dubya as the smirking figurehead that the blade finally severed the country's cerebral cortex.

Bush should be remembered as one of the worst presidents ever for turning America into Dale Gribble!
http://www.pinhut.com/blog/dale.jpg
Redneck is the new religion!

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 10:24 pm

Christ almighty, you people completely misunderstood what I said. I MEANT they should have done a bus evacuation prior to the storm hitting the city. I was referring to the local and state governments with that. Geez.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/05 at 10:26 pm

Bush being controversial doesn't make him great. Tons of people hated Hoover and history hasn't treated him well. Lincoln was controversial because the general public was racist. FDR was controversial partially because of public conservatism and willingness to confront recent and maybe all history's best example of an axis of evil. Bush is controversial because of his own irrationality, not the irrationality of the public. Sending our troops into an unwinnable war using deceitful tactics  (gulf of Tonkin) to get public approval ruined LBJ's reputation, and his domestic record was much better than Bush's.

These Bush supporters keep pointing out how Washington, Lincoln, and FDR were controversial like Bush, but these other presidents didn't totally suck like Bush does.  Let's go over this again:

Lincoln: controversial? Yes.  Sucks? No.
Bush: controversial? Yes.  Sucks? Yes!!!

Mmmmkay?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/05 at 10:36 pm

Christ almighty, you people completely misunderstood what I said. I MEANT they should have done a bus evacuation prior to the storm hitting the city. I was referring to the local and state governments with that. Geez.

There seems to be some claims that Bush ordered the governor to impose a mandatory evacuation before Katrina struck.  Is this so?

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 10:38 pm

There seems to be some claims that Bush ordered the governor to impose a mandatory evacuation before Katrina struck.  Is this so?

I don't know, Max.

Written By: Dominic L. on 09/07/05 at 10:39 pm

no idea. i like to stay out of politics

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 10:41 pm

I am amazed that some people think this was so "out of the blue". Experts have been predicting a storm exactly like this for years. A couple of years ago, FEMA(i believe that was the agency involved) held a drill for a potential hurricane emergency, and the scenario used was very similar to what has happened on the Gulf coast.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/07/05 at 10:44 pm

I am talking about enforcing a MANDATORY evacuation; so in that case whether or not people WANTED to leave would have been superflous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/05 at 10:50 pm

Straying off topic here, but should people be allowed to stay in New Orleans if they and their kind sign a legal agreement not to sue the government for the consequences?
It seems like libertarians would be up in arms about the government forcing people to leave their own homes against their will.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/05 at 11:15 pm

You think an agreement such as that would stand up in court? HAHAHA!

Nope.  Not when a burglar can sue you if he falls down your basement stairs!

This is a new situation.  I don't recall another time when a city of half a million has been forced empty out its entire population.  I personally don't think the mandatory evacuation is a bad thing.  Those who are property rights absolutists might object vociferously though.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/07/05 at 11:19 pm

This is a new situation.  I don't recall another time when a city of half a million has been forced empty out its entire population. 

So true.  Yet Bush is supposed to have all the answers in a matter of seconds. ::)

Written By: Harmonica on 09/07/05 at 11:20 pm

You think an agreement such as that would stand up in court? HAHAHA!

That is a good question.

Did I think that the arguement of a woman spilling coffee on herself at McDonald's, and suing because the coffee was Hot and burnt her would hold up?  No, I didn't. I was wrong.

Did I think the arguement of a man who slipped in an area in wall-mart with a sign that said CAUTION:Wet floor and a worker saying, "Sir, you can't go their", would hold up, when he sued <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=wal%20mart" onmouseover="window.status='<a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=wal%20mart" onmouseover="window.status='wal-mart'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">wal-mart</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">wal-mart</a> for having unsafe walking areas?  No, I didn't.  I was wrong.

Then the one when the woman sued a man for indencent exposure when her little girl walked into the men's bathroom, where he was changing clothes. I didn't figure her arguement would hold up either, but I was wrong once again.

Written By: jackas on 09/07/05 at 11:43 pm

This is a new situation.  I don't recall another time when a city of half a million has been forced empty out its entire population.  I personally don't think the mandatory evacuation is a bad thing.  Those who are property rights absolutists might object vociferously though.

I think it's a great idea too.  Not to mention the health risks posed to those who stay, but the amount of people it takes to put a city back together is tremendous.  Many of those people who stay would just get in the way and slow down the process.  Also, where would they get food and other necessities?  I'm sure all the stores need to rebuild too and won't be open for months.  Pensacola is a city with a population around 56,000.  After Ivan hit, it was estimated that about 15,000 people came into the city to help rebuild.  Traffic was impossible!  There were so many people on the streets, insurance contrators, construction workers, huge debris trucks lugging tons of trees and trash, driving on the road at about 30 mph.   Now imagine trying to rebuild a city as big as New Orleans.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/07/05 at 11:52 pm

Okay, let's look at reality.....I agree, the govt dropped the ball on this one.....the city of New Orleans (govt) most of all.  However, I'd like someone to tell me how it is possible to evacuate tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people all at once?  Busing them out was not possible as the streets were flooded.  A majority had to be lifted out via helicopter off of rooftops and balconies.  And, let's not forget that New Orleans wasn't the ONLY area affected.  My heart truly goes out to those who lost loved ones in this disaster and I believe that the city should've taken greater measures to get people out beforehand as well as the government should've reacted quicker.  However, you have to also consider the safety of those DOING the rescue.  It's a good idea in theory to go in there, gangbusters, and rescue everyone but when you sit back and think about it for a second, think of the time needed to simply COORDINATE an evacuation of this magnitude.  I honestly don't know that if the government had reacted quicker, the results would have been much better. :-\\

Thank you, Crazymom - my thoughts exactly!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/07/05 at 11:53 pm

http://forum.ogrish.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=143948

nothing came up, maxwell....

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/08/05 at 1:28 am

Ah, someone with my point of view ;)

We need to make people realize that the Republican party isnt all Neo-Cons.  There are still true Republicans out there.  We need to come out of the woodwork and not be afraid to oppose the Neo-Con agenda (which frankly, is the complete opposite of the GOP agenda...Neo-Cons are for big government, Republicans are for smaller government, etc etc). 

It really is a sad point when the man making the most sense right now in the Republican party is Pat Buchanian.  Most of the Congressmen and Senators are afraid to say anything.  (other than Mccain, Hagel and very few others).  THeyre not all Neo-Cons...in fact, most of them arent.  They need to be speaking out.  When Nixon was president, the GOP had no problem with speaking out against him when he did something wrong...it should be the same way!  We have checks and ballances for a reason!

The real RINO's are the Neo-Cons. 

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/08/05 at 1:28 am

Very well put.

Cat

thank you Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 09/08/05 at 1:31 am

That is a good question.

Did I think that the arguement of a woman spilling coffee on herself at McDonald's, and suing because the coffee was Hot and burnt her would hold up?  No, I didn't. I was wrong.

Did I think the arguement of a man who slipped in an area in wall-mart with a sign that said CAUTION:Wet floor and a worker saying, "Sir, you can't go their", would hold up, when he sued <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=wal%20mart" onmouseover="window.status='<a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=wal%20mart" onmouseover="window.status='<a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=wal%20mart" onmouseover="window.status='wal-mart'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">wal-mart</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">wal-mart</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">wal-mart</a> for having unsafe walking areas?  No, I didn't.  I was wrong.

Then the one when the woman sued a man for indencent exposure when her little girl walked into the men's bathroom, where he was changing clothes. I didn't figure her arguement would hold up either, but I was wrong once again.

I hate it when that happens.....I can't even read it...why does that happen?

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/08/05 at 1:35 am

The Republican party only exists in name now Billy. You for one must know that.

Actual Conservative values aren't upheld, Faux Christian Values are the meal of the day.

As long as the Bush administration and the media (and many politicians on the left that are having a field day with this) keep on equating Straussian politics and the ideas of the Neo-Cons to the right wing, then yes, youre right.  Real Republicans still have a chance to take back our party.  I call myself a Libertarian these days because while Im registered Republican, the Neo-Con leadership of the party doesnt describe the point of view I beleive in.  The Libertarians forster a much closer belief to that of true Republicans and Conservatives.  I dont agree with everything the Libertarians say either, but as I always say, anyone who follows their party on every issue, no matter what...is an idiot.  

Dont let your party define you...You are suppose to define your party!  Bush and the Neo-Cons took advantage of this principle...theyre not the only ones who can use it.  

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/08/05 at 2:37 pm

The Army Corps of Engineers seems to be saying something different.

http://www.usace.army.mil/PA-09-01.pdf

Now just would the ARMY Corps of Engineers say about their commander-in-chief?  And I read this morning that now FEMA is preventing news agencies (Reuters specifically) from photographing the dead bodies being removed from the flood waters.  And one other point:  how many people who live and work in large cities (rich, MC, or poor) chose not to own cars?  Daily bus fare is much cheaper than car payments, gas and maintanance, and insurance, so I would probably make that choice too.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/08/05 at 2:43 pm

Now just would the ARMY Corps of Engineers say about their commander-in-chief?  And I read this morning that now FEMA is preventing news agencies (Reuters specifically) from photographing the dead bodies being removed from the flood waters.  And one other point:  how many people who live and work in large cities (rich, MC, or poor) chose not to own cars?  Daily bus fare is much cheaper than car payments, gas and maintanance, and insurance, so I would probably make that choice too.

I can hear now what a certain faction would be saying about people who are poor, but "oh. look, they can afford a car so they don't need foodstamps"  I live outside of Boston and know a lot of people who do not find it necassary to own a car, actually choose not to.  If Boston had to evacuate in less than twenty four hours what would these people say about the thousands of dead students who didn't have any way of evacuating their dormitories, or preferred to stay a ride it out, and died or were stuck on Commonwealth Avenue breaking into the 7/11 for water?

Written By: Powerslave on 09/08/05 at 4:43 pm

We need to make people realize that the Republican party isnt all Neo-Cons.  There are still true Republicans out there.  We need to come out of the woodwork and not be afraid to oppose the Neo-Con agenda (which frankly, is the complete opposite of the GOP agenda...Neo-Cons are for big government, Republicans are for smaller government, etc etc). 

It really is a sad point when the man making the most sense right now in the Republican party is Pat Buchanian.  Most of the Congressmen and Senators are afraid to say anything.  (other than Mccain, Hagel and very few others).  THeyre not all Neo-Cons...in fact, most of them arent.  They need to be speaking out.  When Nixon was president, the GOP had no problem with speaking out against him when he did something wrong...it should be the same way!  We have checks and ballances for a reason!

This is correct, Billy. Even Gingrich is criticising Bush lately. I think that says a lot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/05 at 8:30 pm

I can hear now what a certain faction would be saying about people who are poor, but "oh. look, they can afford a car so they don't need foodstamps"  I live outside of Boston and know a lot of people who do not find it necassary to own a car, actually choose not to.  If Boston had to evacuate in less than twenty four hours what would these people say about the thousands of dead students who didn't have any way of evacuating their dormitories, or preferred to stay a ride it out, and died or were stuck on Commonwealth Avenue breaking into the 7/11 for water?

NO excuse is too petty to deny benefits.  The conservative mentality has brought us the most adversarial class structure since the Great Depression.  It is the right-wing who is on the attack in the class war.  The old revolutionary sentiments of my youth are now flooding back to me.  America is poorer, scarier, sadder, less civil, more vulnerable, more paranoid, and more full of hate than it was when I was five or ten years old.  We are much the worse for Ronald Reagan, but now the Bushies are crucifying the rest of us on a cross of gold.
The poor and the middle class are diffused, dispersed, conflicted, tricked, and confused.  They don't know how to fight the powers that be.
The maligned "Gangsta" lifestyle is not the antithesis of the Republican Party.  It is poor man's analogue of Republican values.  Everything is about I, me, and mine, making as much money as possible, and buying the most expensive objects on the market.  Your "gangsta" is just a Ronald Reagan conservative with the nicey-nice religious veneer stripped away.
Likewise, the FOX News channel is the "gangsta rap" for the rich white man.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/08/05 at 11:29 pm

This one question came to me as I watched a news report where a comment was made that if the presidential elections were held today, Bush would unequivocally lose 100 to 1.
Edited to add: I rephrased the question.

Opps!  According to this Zogby poll/study/report released today, if the election were today, Bush would get 48% and Kerry 47%.

And according to Zogby, Reagan would stand the best chance in an election againt Bush.  Zogby did a match-up between Bush and every presidential candidate since 1976 except Gore, here are the final results:

Bush 44%, Clinton, 46
Bush 34, GHW Bush, 41
Bush 20, Reagan 59
Bush 42, Carter 50

It seems the best chance to beat Bush is....yep, a more conservative republican, namely Ronald W. Reagan.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/08/05 at 11:37 pm

I agree with you, but McCain and Hagel?  Those are phony conservative, in my opinion.  Real conservatives are NOT neo-cons, and the closet example I can find in the current congress are people like Tom Tancredo, Walter B. Jones, J.D. Hayworth, Tom Price....in the senate there is really only Tom Coburn and Jim DeMint that I can think of.

Neo-cons are republicans, people like Tancredo are conservatives.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/05 at 12:06 am

I agree with you, but McCain and Hagel?  Those are phony conservative, in my opinion.  Real conservatives are NOT neo-cons, and the closet example I can find in the current congress are people like Tom Tancredo, Walter B. Jones, J.D. Hayworth, Tom Price....in the senate there is really only Tom Coburn and Jim DeMint that I can think of.

Neo-cons are republicans, people like Tancredo are conservatives.

Yeah, "real" conservatives wouldn't send federal relief to the hurricane victims in Louisiana because other conservatives ran such a corrupt state government there.  WTF?  I mean, that's what Tancredo's position boils down to.
I'm looking at your list of "real" conservatives and wondering what on Earth possesses a person to like those guys???
Jesus HP Lovecraft!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/09/05 at 12:28 am

Yeah, "real" conservatives wouldn't send federal relief to the hurricane victims in Louisiana because other conservatives ran such a corrupt state government there.  WTF?  I mean, that's what Tancredo's position boils down to.

Huh?  I assume you're talking about the letter Tancredo wrote to speaker of the house Denny Hastert (R-IL).....I can't find anything wrong with it.  Care to tell me?

Here is the letter for anyone else interested:

Dear Mr. Speaker,

Given the abysmal failure of state and local officials in Louisiana to plan adequately for or respond to the effects of Hurricane Katrina on the city of New Orleans, and given the long history of public corruption in Louisiana, I hope the House will refrain from directly appropriating any funds from the public treasury to either the state of Louisiana or the city of New Orleans. Instead, reconstruction and relief funds dedicated to the people of New Orleans should be administered by a private organization or a select committee similar to the historic Truman Commission.

Public corruption is a well known problem in Louisiana. The head of the FBI in New Orleans just this past year described the state´s public corruption as "epidemic, endemic, and entrenched. No branch of government is exempt." Over the last thirty years, a long list of Louisiana politicians have been convicted of crimes; the list includes a governor, an attorney general, an elections commissioner, an agriculture commissioner, three successive insurance commissioners, a congressman, a federal judge, a State Senate president, six other state legislators, and a host of appointed officials, local sheriffs, city councilmen, and parish police jurors. Given the documented public corruption in the state, I am not confident that Louisiana officials can be trusted to administer federal relief aid.

Clearly the federal response from FEMA in the aftermath of the hurricane was hampered by bureaucratic ineptitude. Making matters worse, the Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana have demonstrated mind-boggling incompetence in their lack of planning for and response to this disaster. According to one recent media report, "A year ago, as Hurricane Ivan approached, New Orleans ordered an evacuation but did not use city or school buses to help people evacuate. As a result many of the poorest citizens were unable to evacuate. Fortunately, the hurricane changed course and did not hit New Orleans, but both Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin acknowledged the need for a better evacuation plan... did not take corrective actions. In 1998, during a threat by Hurricane George, 14,000 people were sent to the Superdome and theft and vandalism were rampant due to inadequate security. Again, these problems were not corrected."

The city of New York, by comparison, had no advance warning of 9/11. Yet Mayor Giuliani and Governor Pataki displayed tremendous leadership in managing a chaotic situation in the city. Their leadership inspired confidence in their ability to manage the emergency and coordinate federal aid In contrast, despite knowing days in advance about the coming hurricane, Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin seem to have done little beyond encouraging residents to leave the city or gather at the Superdome. City school and transit buses could have carried 12,000 persons per run out of the city, yet they sat idle in parking lots under water - while both the Mayor and Governor criticized the federal response.

In the coming days, tens of billions of dollars will likely flood Louisiana to address the costs of rescue, clean up, and rebuilding. The question is not whether Congress should provide for those in need, but whether state and local officials who have been derelict in their duty should be trusted with that money. Their record during Hurricane Katrina and the long history of public corruption in Louisiana convinces me that that they should not.

Sincerely,

http://www.tancredo.org/blast_emails/tt_sig_blue.gif

Tom Tancredo
United States Congressman

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/05 at 1:37 am

It's always the loathesome comparison these days!  It's the good state, Mississippi versus the bad state, Louisiana.  It's the good disaster response, 9/11 versus the bad disaster response, Hurricane Katrina.
Nevermind how specious and dim-witted these comparisons are.  No matter what, we have divide everybody into two camps: the deserving and the undeserving.  It makes for a divisive, jealous, and bellicose national atmosphere.  Tancredo's retarded letter illustrates the phenomenon perfectly.
Now for chrissakes, right-wingers, get this through your sauroid skulls:
THE SEPTEMBER 11th, 2001, TERRORIST ATTACKS AND HURRICANE KATRINA ARE NOT COMPARABLE EVENTS!
(and, no, even your beloved Rudy Mussolini couldn't save the day on the Gulf Coast.)

Grow up you people!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/09/05 at 6:53 am

Opps!  According to this Zogby poll/study/report released today, if the election were today, Bush would get 48% and Kerry 47%.

And according to Zogby, Reagan would stand the best chance in an election againt Bush.  Zogby did a match-up between Bush and every presidential candidate since 1976 except Gore, here are the final results:

Bush 44%, Clinton, 46
Bush 34, GHW Bush, 41
Bush 20, Reagan 59
Bush 42, Carter 50

It seems the best chance to beat Bush is....yep, a more conservative republican, namely Ronald W. Reagan.

Actually it just looks like "Anybody But Bush".

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/09/05 at 7:46 am

Actually it just looks like "Anybody But Bush".

Is that why Bush is beating Kerry?

Written By: McDonald on 09/09/05 at 11:03 am

THE worst.... hmmm, probably not. I think that one falls on either Andrew Johnson or perhaps Grant (but only because his administration was rampant with corruption, although he himself was a good guy). Bush Jr. is certainly one of the worst, I must say. The man and his followers cause me emotional stress on a daily basis.

Last night, I forced myself to watch a "documentary" on TBN (a.k.a. the Christian station) which was actually one giant plug for what a good and godly president Dubya is. Eventually I HAD to change the channel for my own health.

Some of our best presidents. Well I rate F.D.R. as the best one we've ever had, then Lincoln for his performance (npt) during the civil war.

Written By: PaperGirl on 09/09/05 at 2:21 pm

it's impossible to rescue everyone....I hate to be that cut and dry....they are all sad situations, and my heart goes out to each and every family....BUT, regardless if they had 2 people rescuing or 10, 000 people rescuing....people will still die.  It is impossible to reach in every single nook and cranny and make sure that everyone is ok....to think that anything of the sort could ever happen, is unrealistic...regardless of what leader is in charge. I would like to see you, or many other people being in charge of all of the efforts...it's very easy to say, "This should have been done", and "that should have been done"...when it's not you that is standing in the shoes of the person (s) in charge.  I mean, realistically, how fast exactly do you expect the efforts to move, in such a catastrophic situation as this? It's not like they could fold their arms together and blink and miraculously help everyone and make everything "all better"....get real. ::)

Does anyone remember Tropical Strom Allison in 2001?  In Houston?  Flooded it out horribly, ruined alot of stuff...Well, my parents live there, and when that happened...the big thing on the news was that Memorial Herman Hospital was flooded out, no power, no running water, nothing. ....and they managed to save EVERY patient in there.  Granted, Katrina was TONS bigger than Allison...BUT...it was the people working together, and towards a common goal, to rescue and save those patients that made it happen. 

My point being, that yes, there were deaths, but alot less than if everyone in Herman Hospital had just looked out for themselves.    Youre right, Quirk, its probably not possible to save EVERYONE, but in this instance, they could have saved al helluva lot more than they did.  IMNSHO anyway.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/09/05 at 5:48 pm

I remember my history teacher use to always tell the class that Grant was the worst president ever.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/05 at 6:53 pm

Last night, I forced myself to watch a "documentary" on TBN (a.k.a. the Christian station) which was actually one giant plug for what a good and godly president Dubya is. Eventually I HAD to change the channel for my own health.

You'd think Jesus was the director of the RN the way they play it!

Anyway, THE worst is hard to qualify.  There's no need to compare, anyway.  All that does is distract from how totally rotten Dubya really is!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/09/05 at 7:17 pm

I remember my history teacher use to always tell the class that Grant was the worst president ever.

I remember them saying Grant was pretty bad, but I remember more emphasis being placed on Johnson and also Harding. Hoover was also very unliked because he couldn't put a "chicken in every pot" (or was it coop) after the depression hit just after being sworn in. Poor guy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/05 at 12:20 am

I remember them saying Grant was pretty bad, but I remember more emphasis being placed on Johnson and also Harding. Hoover was also very unliked because he couldn't put a "chicken in every pot" (or was it coop) after the depression hit just after being sworn in. Poor guy.

Hoover was by all accounts an unlovable S.O.B., not a fellow you'd tend to feel sorry for.

I think Grant's problem was his own temptation to corruption, his ineptitude at coping with post-bellum corruption, both of which were compounded by the his raging alcoholism.

Written By: Kenlos on 09/10/05 at 1:21 am

These Bush supporters keep pointing out how Washington, Lincoln, and FDR were controversial like Bush, but these other presidents didn't totally suck like Bush does.  Let's go over this again:

Lincoln: controversial? Yes.  Sucks? No.
Bush: controversial? Yes.  Sucks? Yes!!!

Mmmmkay?

First off I wouldn't really call me a real Bush supporter.  Do I hate him, no.  Do I like him, not so much.  I am pretty much indifferent to him.  I was just pointed out the history of this country.  Second if you go back in history to the time when presidents like Lincoln and FDR where in office and you ask people from that time if they thought their president sucked, a large portion of people would have said yes just as your saying yes about Bush now.  None of us know what peoples views of Bush will be 75 years from now, for all we know people 75 years from now might say he didn't suck at all and that he was actually one of the greats.  But then again 75 years from now they might still think he sucked and put him towards the bottom.  You just don't know.  Third going back to what someone else said about Bush being irrational, again if you go back to when these other presidents like Lincoln and FDR, especially FDR, where in office many of the people back then would have said those presidents were very irrational as well.  Look at FDR's "The New Deal" program many people thought he was crazy when he first introduced that and thought it would never work, and look what happened.  Going back to Bush and Iraq.  Sure there have been things that have gone wrong overthere.  Should we have gone in there in the first place?  Maybe not.  But ten years from now if Iraq is a better place than it was 3 years ago then Bush will have accomplished what he wanted whether doing it was right or not.  And 75 years from now the result will be what matters most not so much exactly why he did it.  So saying that he is or isn't the worst US president ever at this point in time is futile, because peoples minds can and do change as time passes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/10/05 at 10:08 am

His approval ratings are extremely low right now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050910/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_ap_poll

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 09/10/05 at 10:50 am

Third going back to what someone else said about Bush being irrational, again if you go back to when these other presidents like Lincoln and FDR, especially FDR, where in office many of the people back then would have said those presidents were very irrational as well.  Look at FDR's "The New Deal" program many people thought he was crazy when he first introduced that and thought it would never work, and look what happened.

Most of the people that sing FDR's praise tend to forget what he did to the immigrants and descendents of families that emmigrated from Axis powers after the outbreak of WWII.

Tens of thousands of Japanese, Germans, Italians, and their children and grandchildren were held in detention camps.  This was done under the guise of "National Security", and none were even cahrged with a crime.  They were simply locked up because of where they (or their ancestors) came from.

No matter what, there will be a percentage of people who hate the President, and will fight them all the time.  Notice how the people that most often lead the "Lynch Bush" movement were the same ones that were sitting around crying "Why are you blaming everything on Clinton" a few years ago.

I simply shrug, chalk it up to partaisan politics, and move on.  I detest people who are so partaisan that they use politics to view everything a person does.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/10/05 at 12:26 pm

m.

No matter what, there will be a percentage of people who hate the President, and will fight them all the time.  Notice how the people that most often lead the "Lynch Bush" movement were the same ones that were sitting around crying "Why are you blaming everything on Clinton" a few years ago.

Most of us here believe that Clinton was not an angel, but bush has continually been just a horror. Even
his father george the first would rather hang with Bill than jr., everyone has noticed that.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/10/05 at 12:31 pm

Most of us here believe that Clinton was not an angel, but bush has continually been just a horror. Even
his father george the first would rather hang with Bill than jr., everyone has noticed that.

Just like those on the "Far Right" thought Clinton was Satan Incarnate.

All I see is that the mirror is on the other side, and the same games are happening.

And the next Republican will have the same problem, no matter who it is.  Because those on the Far Left will never accept him, and do everything they can do demonize him.

And the same with the next Democrat ellected as President.

If you think I am wrong, tell me what Republican would you all be happy with?  Those on the Far Right, what Democrat would you be happy with?

Written By: EthanM on 09/10/05 at 1:08 pm

I believe that there are Republicans that the vast majority of Americans could accept as President. unfortunately, they're too moderate and/or independent to get their party's nomination.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/10/05 at 1:44 pm

I believe that there are Republicans that the vast majority of Americans could accept as President. unfortunately, they're too moderate and/or independent to get their party's nomination.

But the nomination is done by winning primaries, where everybody votes.  That is why sometimes extreemists that are not ellectable (Barry Goldwater, George McGovern) win the nomination.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/10/05 at 2:19 pm

They should go independent then, but then there out there in the cold and it's hard as heck to put up a fight against the two superpowers (ask Nader) EVEN IF you start off with people knowing who you are, which is NOT true for most candidates even when they ARE in one of the two big parties.  I don't know if Dean was a fluke or not -- we will have to see.  If you want a strong 3rd party candidate, maybe it has to be somebody people already know about and like.

OBAMA 2008!

Written By: McDonald on 09/10/05 at 6:01 pm

But the nomination is done by winning primaries, where everybody votes.  That is why sometimes extreemists that are not ellectable (Barry Goldwater, George McGovern) win the nomination.

In many states, and I know FL is one of them, only registered members of a particular party can vote in their respective primaries.

I wouldn't be unhappy with a sane Republican like John McCain. But it's a cop out, I think, to immediately chalk up someone's distrust or dislike for a president merely to partisanship. Bush has let our people down, IMO. I have every right to seriously question his motives for every move that he makes now, especially after all that's happened in Iraq.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/10/05 at 9:56 pm

His approval ratings are extremely low right now.

I guess he won't be running for a third term now.

Written By: EthanM on 09/10/05 at 9:58 pm

Is that the only reason to do the job well? To get it again?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/10/05 at 10:42 pm

McGovern was an extremist? Git outta here!
::) ;D

McDonald wrote:
I wouldn't be unhappy with a sane Republican like John McCain. But it's a cop out, I think, to immediately chalk up someone's distrust or dislike for a president merely to partisanship. Bush has let our people down, IMO. I have every right to seriously question his motives for every move that he makes now, especially after all that's happened in Iraq.
I would be miserable with McCain if congress was still dominated by clods like DeLay and Hastert!
:P

Written By: Kenlos on 09/10/05 at 11:13 pm

I guess he won't be running for a third term now.

He couldn't even if he wanted to you can only be president for two consective terms.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/10/05 at 11:16 pm

If you think I am wrong, tell me what Republican would you all be happy with? 

I'd vote for McCain over any conceivable Democratic candidate.

Modified to add -

Unless, for some reason Gore ran.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/05 at 11:22 pm

I voted No.  There are other presidents worse than Dub-ya

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/05 at 12:31 am

I voted No.  There are other presidents worse than Dub-ya

"This is the worst president ever.  He is the worst president in all of American history."
--Helen Thomas
A reporter for  United Press International and Hearst for 60+ years, and among the White House press corps since JFK.

As far as I'm concerned, you have to go back to the 1920s with Harding and Hoover to find a President that could even qualify to contest Dubya for the worst President!  Even then it would be Hoover to show and Harding to place!

Jerry Ford wasn't in it long enough to determine, but he does deserve a swift kick in the pants for pardoning Nixon.  If Tricky Dick had gone to the clink, it would have saved us a heap of trouble down the road!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/11/05 at 12:44 am

He couldn't even if he wanted to you can only be president for two consective terms.

That was the joke.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/11/05 at 2:32 am

Modified to add -

Wow, didn't realize you were that much of a Gore fan. I think he would have been adequate in the job, but nothing spectacular like my man Clinton. He never seemed very likeable either.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/11/05 at 7:27 am

Jerry Ford wasn't in it long enough to determine, but he does deserve a swift kick in the pants for pardoning Nixon.  If Tricky Dick had gone to the clink, it would have saved us a heap of trouble down the road!

But then the american public didn't have a hand in placing him in either. He could be the best president no one ever voter for and the best president no one ever voted for at the same time. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/05 at 11:45 am

Modified to add -

If McCain ran, I would give it conciderable thought about voting for him. Of course a lot of depends on who else is running.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/11/05 at 1:28 pm

I, too, would consider McCain, although I cannot understand how he can vocally support georgie after
the disqusting smear campaign the rove and co. subjected him to.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/11/05 at 4:07 pm

I, too, would consider McCain, although I cannot understand how he can vocally support georgie after
the disqusting smear campaign the rove and co. subjected him to.

Probably as well as any Presidential candidates do after the fireworks are over with.

That is just part of American politics.  I remember the 3-way battle between Reagan-Bush-Anderson.  Reagan and Bush patched things up, and worked together for the next 8 years.  Anderson went and ran on his own, and nobody ever heard from him again.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/11/05 at 4:43 pm

In many states, and I know FL is one of them, only registered members of a particular party can vote in their respective primaries.

That is actually something I agree with.

One of the thing that disgusts me in California is the "Open Primary" system.

Over the last 8 years, California has had to suffer through horrible candidates for Governor.  This is because Democrats will "stuff the box", to help assure that unelectable Republicans win the state primary.

A great example of this is in 2000.  The main Republican Candidates were former LA Mayor Richard Riordan, and a nobody named Bill Simon.  Riordan was heavily favored by the majority of Republicans, yet Simon won the nomination.  This was mostly due to Democrats voting for Simon, knowing that Riordan having the only chance to unseat Grey Davis, the Democrat Incumbant.

And this works both ways.  I have also heard of Republicans doing the same thing in Democrat elections.  It is because of this I prefer close primaries.  Let the open part happen at the main election itself.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/05 at 6:30 pm

Probably as well as any Presidential candidates do after the fireworks are over with.

That is just part of American politics.  I remember the 3-way battle between Reagan-Bush-Anderson.  Reagan and Bush patched things up, and worked together for the next 8 years.  Anderson went and ran on his own, and nobody ever heard from him again.

I remember that. I was too young to vote then but in my high school, we had a "mock election". I voted for Anderson.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 09/11/05 at 8:34 pm

I remember that. I was too young to vote then but in my high school, we had a "mock election". I voted for Anderson.

My mom was an Anderson supporter as well.  She liked Reagan, but was not as happy with the stance he had to take on abortion.  She did this in protest to the Republican Party making Reagan run on an Anti-Abortion platform.

Most people do not realize that Reagan was actually more Pro-Choice.  When Governor of California, he actually signed the most liberal abortion law in the country.  A life-long Republican, my mom helped the Anderson committie in Ideaho as a protest to the strong Pro-Life stance the party had taken that year.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/05 at 10:12 pm

Wow, didn't realize you were that much of a Gore fan. I think he would have been adequate in the job, but nothing spectacular like my man Clinton. He never seemed very likeable either.
Don't you mean your woman, Hillary? She controlled Bill like the puppet he was. As for Gore...had he won, we'd have been slaves to the terrorists!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/11/05 at 10:14 pm

Even if McCain was a Democrat, I'd probably vote for him because unlike Clinton, Gore or Kerry, He has the nads to protect our freedom :)

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/11/05 at 10:23 pm

As for Gore...had he won, we'd have been slaves to the terrorists!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's... Hilarious!

As opposed to Slaves to the right wing propaganda machine right?

Give up those certain inalienable Rights Mark, the Neo-Cons are calling!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/05 at 12:58 am

Don't you mean your woman, Hillary? She controlled Bill like the puppet he was. As for Gore...had he won, we'd have been slaves to the terrorists!!

That's just lot of histrionic rubbish and you know it.  That's the kind of BS Ann Coulter says.
"The Democrat Party is the terrorist party and the Republican Party is the Freedom party," stuff like that.  And then right-wingers have the nerve to say "liberals run on emotion."

I still remember two Newsweek covers from that campaign.  One was playing card, with Carter and Reagan as kings, and Anderson as a 2.  Then there was the one right before election day with Reagan and Carter both jumping the finish line, and Anderson puffing behind them!

1980--I was still attending the Waldorf school then, so in my class straw poll Jerry Brown won overwhelmingly....and I voted for Reagan (retch, retch, retch)!  OK, I was eleven and clueless, but it still makes me recoil with compunction! 
:-[ :-[ :-[
That year my mom (also clueless) would have voted for Reagan, but she didn't get to the polls on time.  My dad voted for the Libertarian ticket (Ed Clark/David Koch).  He said he couldn't stand to feel responsible for either one of those azz()les (Reagan or Carter) winning the race.  The first year I was eligable was 1988.  Mom and I went to the polls together and we both voted for the Dukakis/Bentsen ticket, which went down in flames!
:P

Written By: danootaandme on 09/12/05 at 7:41 am

That's... Hilarious!

There are those who find it easier to argue using speculative fiction than cold hard facts

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 9:52 am

That's... Hilarious!

Touche

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 09/12/05 at 11:11 am

I'm clearly a conservative.  Bill Clinton is clearly a liberal.

There were many things during Clinton's administration that I did not happen to agree with. However I thought that he did a great job of running the country for the most part and agreed with quite a few things that he did and said.  I suppose it just might be a conservative thing, but I didn't have my head stuck so far up my a$$ that I couldn't see the good things that Clinton had done. I suppose it's only liberal to blind yourself from any good that a person does, instead it's only right to focus strongly on mistakes and wrong doings. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 11:27 am

I'm clearly a conservative.  Bill Clinton is clearly a liberal.

There were many things during Clinton's administration that I did not happen to agree with. However I thought that he did a great job of running the country for the most part and agreed with quite a few things that he did and said.  I suppose it just might be a conservative thing, but I didn't have my head stuck so far up my a$$ that I couldn't see the good things that Clinton had done. I suppose it's only liberal to blind yourself from any good that a person does, instead it's only right to focus strongly on mistakes and wrong doings. 

Um, I hate to tell you this but that is NOT "only liberal". I know many conservitives who think that Clinton was the worse president and didn't do ANYTHING right (some are board members here).

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 09/12/05 at 12:37 pm

Um, I hate to tell you this but that is NOT "only liberal". I know many conservitives who think that Clinton was the worse president and didn't do ANYTHING right (some are board members here).

Cat

I love to tell you this, I'm well aware of that.  However,  let's start hearing from the libearls the things Bush has done right.  What a beautiful silence.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/05 at 12:42 pm

I love to tell you this, I'm well aware of that.  However,  let's start hearing from the libearls the things Bush has done right.  What a beautiful silence.

That is because the only thing that he has done right was his propaganda machine. If you can point out anything he has done right, I will admit to it.

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/05 at 2:48 pm

How many times in this thread are you going to say this? ::) 
Sorry, I'll go back into my little hole in the wall and let you liberals go on and on about things over and over and over :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/05 at 2:50 pm

How many times in this thread are you going to say this? ::)
I'm not the one who brought Gore into this topic but since he was mentioned, I commented ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/12/05 at 3:15 pm

I second what Cat said.  I will admit that Bush has said some good things, like "Osama dead or alive", but has done none.  So you tell us what good things you think he has done.  Maybe we are overlooking something.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/12/05 at 5:04 pm

I'll second Carlos question.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/12/05 at 5:14 pm

I second what Cat said.  I will admit that Bush has said some good things, like "Osama dead or alive", but has done none.  So you tell us what good things you think he has done.  Maybe we are overlooking something.

Within your views and your opinion's I'm probably not going to come up with anything.  Our views of "good" things are as far on opposite ends of the pendelem as one can get.  Not everything, but politically speaking.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/12/05 at 5:31 pm

That is because the only thing that he has done right was his propaganda machine. If you can point out anything he has done right, I will admit to it.

Cat

It's realllyyy hard to say he hasn't done anything right. That's just a little too black and white for me.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/12/05 at 5:35 pm

It's realllyyy hard to say he hasn't done anything right. That's just a little too black and white for me.

No when it comes to issues involving conservative disagreements, the world is nothing but a picasso shade of gray, but when it comes to liberal arguements...we get our black and white.  Strange is it not?

Written By: Mushroom on 09/12/05 at 6:10 pm

No when it comes to issues involving conservative disagreements, the world is nothing but a picasso shade of gray, but when it comes to liberal arguements...we get our black and white.  Strange is it not?

That is the problem with people who only deal in absolutes.

Republicans are evil.  Big Business is evil.  Conservatives are evil.  Christians are evil.

I find a lot of the "Liberal" arguements rather childish myself.  "Because I say it is" tends to be one of the most common things I hear.  If you state facts, they say your facts are wrong.  If you state an opinion, it is often because you are wrong, or stupid, or a pawn of the "Evil Neocons".  There are no rational responses, just responses full of anger and emotion and feelings.  But sadly, much lacking in facts.

Add to that, most of them tend to think that they are one of the "grey" ones.  I have asked that in here before, and was amazed to find that a lot of the extreemists in here consider themselves "moderate".  And they honestly seem to not understand why somebody would have an opposing point of view.

Now I know I am generalizing.  And I am not pointing fingers, nor am I placing blame.  Neither am I saying "you are right" or "you are wrong".  I am just saying something that I have noticed in here over the last 2 years.

There are a number that seem to be like me, and able to have a discussion and keep it civil.  But more and more are taking the "you are stupid and do not know what you are talking about" form of response.  I would never throw around the types of things they would, but they do not care.  Anything that promotes "their cause" is acceptible.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/12/05 at 7:02 pm

Within your views and your opinion's I'm probably not going to come up with anything.  Our views of "good" things are as far on opposite ends of the pendelem as one can get.  Not everything, but politically speaking.

We aren't asking for you to tell us what we think is good, we are asking you to tell us what you believe is good that he has done.  I think it was an honest question, and I for one wasn't being facetious, just asking.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/05 at 8:21 pm

Where has any one else repeatedly said the EXACT same thing over and over?  You've made the exact same statement twice on this thread and once (recently at least, not counting the numbers of times you've said it before) on another.  WE get the point, you think, for some unknown reason, that if Gore/Kerry had been elected, we'd all be "slaves to the terrorists".  Even some of your "fellow Republicans" think that's an asinine statement ::)
And some totally agree with it. I actually made a huge mistake the first time, by saying we'd all be wearing turbins....and then of course, I realized too late that was going to be interpreted wrong. Bottom line, Gore wasn't going to defend our country. Hey, not just MY opinion. I know people here who feel the same way but don't feel the need to come in here and get bashed for how they feel, so I guess I'll take that to heart and not "Bother" anyone in here anymore.

Written By: EthanM on 09/12/05 at 9:11 pm

I think that Gore probably would have defended our country when it needed defending better than Bush did, judging from what I heard about the Clinton Adminisration having done considerable work toward keeping terrorism in check and the Bush administration ignoring the work of its predecessor. If you have some sort of tangible basis for your belief in why we're safer under Bush, I'm sure no one would object to your posting it here. And criticism of such points would be in the spirit of debate, not a personal attack.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/12/05 at 9:15 pm

We aren't asking for you to tell us what we think is good, we are asking you to tell us what you believe is good that he has done.  I think it was an honest question, and I for one wasn't being facetious, just asking.

You for one might.  But let me rest assure you that with what I write down, either I'll be told why I'm wrong, and how what I think is good is actually bad OR you won't have any idea what I'm talking about altogether.

I'm also not afraid to say the wrong I see in Bush.  I'm a reactor to my invironment, Bush scratched my back, I scratched his.  He kicked me below the belt, I nailed him back.  It's not an all or nothing deal, it works in moderation, unfortunately.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/05 at 9:25 pm

I think that Gore probably would have defended our country when it needed defending better than Bush did, judging from what I heard about the Clinton Adminisration having done considerable work toward keeping terrorism in check and the Bush administration ignoring the work of its predecessor. If you have some sort of tangible basis for your belief in why we're safer under Bush, I'm sure no one would object to your posting it here. And criticism of such points would be in the spirit of debate, not a personal attack.
Thanks Ethan but I thinks I'll just stay away :-\\ BTW, I actually didn't hate Clinton. I've always respected ourt president, no matter who it was. I waited until long after Clinton was out of office before I voiced my opinions of his precidency. I know both conservatives and liberals have good and bad points...but being a conservative, I can proudly say that I will never say I will leave the country if the dems win in the next election. We ALL have the right to object to who our elected officials are...but for me, when they are IN office I realize that they were elected and must show support. I don't agree with everything Bush has done but I DO agree with protecting our country. I'm off to relax and "Observe" from afar, keeping my New Year's Resolution....again :D I do appreciate your kind reply though :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/12/05 at 10:11 pm

Exactly WHAT has Bush done to "defend our country"?  Last I checked, it was Al Qaeda that attacked us, NOT Iraq.  Even with intelligence "proving" the lack of a link between the two, he attacked Iraq and abandoned the hunt for Osama.  If sending our troops to a country (where there have been no threats made, no "danger" to the United States, no links to terrorism-in fact intelligence showing just the opposite PRIOR to the war) is "defending our country", I'll pbum.

If you want to make valid points about politics, I welcome them, but you don't-you make negative comments about "Billary", Hollyweird liberals and the like.....which is annoying hearing repeated again and again, but acceptable as "opinion" (I guess), if you have the facts to back them up, which you don't.  If there are SOOOO many people who agree with you that we'd be "slaves to terrorists" if Gore had been elected, where are they?  Of all the conservatives that have posted in this thread, not ONE has agreed with you or backed you up. ???
Yep, way to ignore, as you often do, the facts I made. Again, Alec Baldwin, Rosie O'Donnel, Babs...whining that if Bush were elected, they would move out of the country!! Yup, FACT ;) Dagny backed me up as did others. As for the repeating things being annoying? Yes, it IS annoying to hear the truth over and over when you don't agree with it and that's just one of many reasons that I won't be wasting my time in this shark tank anymore. BTW, the others who back me up choose not to bother with this board and I have the decency not to mention names out of respect for thier privacy ;)

Written By: PaperGirl on 09/12/05 at 10:30 pm

His ranch is looking pretty nice, from all the work he puts into it on his vacations. 

Written By: Harmonica on 09/12/05 at 11:25 pm

Yep, way to ignore, as you often do, the facts I made. Again, Alec Baldwin, Rosie O'Donnel, Babs...whining that if Bush were elected, they would move out of the country!! Yup, FACT ;) Dagny backed me up as did others. As for the repeating things being annoying? Yes, it IS annoying to hear the truth over and over when you don't agree with it and that's just one of many reasons that I won't be wasting my time in this shark tank anymore. BTW, the others who back me up choose not to bother with this board and I have the decency not to mention names out of respect for thier privacy ;)

Alec Baldwin was against Geroge Bush being elected?  Never knew that, this surprises me.  Billy Baldwin as a alumni supporter of Binghamton University clearly would have voted for Bush, seeing in his battle with Title IX, Bush took his side and Kerry fought hard against him. Well not actually against him as in one on one. Kerry fought hard for the side that was against Billy Baldwin and the National Coaches Association of Amateur Olympic Athletics.

Surprised Alec was against Billy on this one, always saw Baldwin brothers close on everything.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/12/05 at 11:39 pm

Exactly WHAT has Bush done to "defend our country"?  Last I checked, it was Al Qaeda that attacked us, NOT Iraq.  Even with intelligence "proving" the lack of a link between the two, he attacked Iraq and abandoned the hunt for Osama.  If sending our troops to a country (where there have been no threats made, no "danger" to the United States, no links to terrorism-in fact intelligence showing just the opposite PRIOR to the war) is "defending our country", I'll pass.

If you want to make valid points about politics, I welcome them, but you don't-you make negative comments about "Billary", Hollyweird liberals and the like.....which is annoying hearing repeated again and again, but acceptable as "opinion" (I guess), if you have the facts to back them up, which you don't.  If there are SOOOO many people who agree with you that we'd be "slaves to terrorists" if Gore had been elected, where are they?  Of all the conservatives that have posted in this thread, not ONE has agreed with you or backed you up. ???

Where exactly are your facts that there were no threats made to the United States from Iraq.  It was no secret that Saddam Hussaine(sorry for miss spelling of someone who doesn't even deserve the respect of having his named spelled correctly) hated George Bush Sr with a deep deep passion.  Have it be known, the man had a strong dislike for the United States altogether.  He did say Reagon was "good" and Clinton was "Ok" while being held, so I suppose those could be taken as "peace" terms.  Let's not forget he's a fan of American Froot Loops, so he no way could he have possibly been a threat to the United States, because bombing us means that he might have gotten the plant where Froot Loops are made.  YOu know in the capital city of Iraq, Saddam had a picture of Geroge Bush Sr painted on the floor of a building. You know why he did this?  So that people would come in and out of the building walking all over him every single day.  It was done out of pure hatred for George Bush Sr. 
  So your telling me that you know for a fact a man who hates George Bush Sr, never ever, in any way shape or form made a threat towards George Bush Jr, the man who is the son of the man that Saddam hates with passion.  Or, are you telling me that the media never informed you of such a threat?  It may not be such a invalid accusation to think that the media is going to expose everything that they can get there hands on, but it is rather ignorant to think that the government is going to tell the media everything, or let everything leak out. 

Now granted, I see it your way. George Bush Jr attacked Saddam Hussaine for objects on his own agenda. Primarily to take vengence for his father's defeat.  George Bush Sr has been beaten like a dog for over 10 years on why he didn't finish off Hussaine when he had the chance.  Jr, got sick of it, and now it's said and done. 

I and neither do you, KNOW, that for a fact.  So instead of b*tching at Rocknroll fan to distingush his facts from his opinions, I'd take a good look from within.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/05 at 1:31 am

I'm sick of everybody generalizing people who deal in absolutes all the time!
:D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/13/05 at 1:31 am

I am seeing a trend here and that is of the media. Constantly the media is being referred to as a "source." I hardly find those clear-cut sources anymore. The media almost has me wanting to run amok with so many people backstabbing and yelling and griping and making every little thing sensational. This is the same media that devoted "specials" on the Bennifer break-up and the other Brad & Jenn break-up just a few months ago. How can respect and trust our media when they feed us all that crap?

P.S. I am really speaking of television media. Printed media or some talk radio shows are far better in presenting facts and educated opinions/observations.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/13/05 at 1:35 am

I'm sick of everybody generalizing people who deal in absolutes all the time!
I'm sick of everybody in general!

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/13/05 at 1:54 am

My friend, statements like if Kerry had been elected we'd be "slaves to the terrorists" make absolutely no sense. Did you REALLY mean that literally? Stop and think about it, for a minute, seriously. That statement implied that if John Kerry had been elected President of the united States, somehow, a few thousand terrorists would be able to come into this country seemingly overnight(he would have only been President for a few months) and somehow overcome all of the security forces in this country, and subdue 300 million people into bondage? Sounds pretty silly when you elaborate it, doesn't it?

If you want to participate in these debates and actually take the time to formulate a statement with actual meaning, thats fine. But by coming into threads like this, and blurting out psuedo-concious hyperbole like "slaves to the terrorists", and then preceding to talk down to us by saying we just don't like hearing the truth, you just embaress yourself, whether you realize it or not. What we want is for you to actually make some type of point, and then have the common courtesy to say why in YOUR word without reverting to sloganeering. Is that so much to ask? If you can't do that, it would be respectful of you to just steer clear of this "shark tank" from now on.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/13/05 at 4:23 am

You for one might.  But let me rest assure you that with what I write down, either I'll be told why I'm wrong, and how what I think is good is actually bad OR you won't have any idea what I'm talking about altogether.

Well, that is a two way street. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/13/05 at 5:15 am

Surprised Alec was against Billy on this one, always saw Baldwin brothers close on everything.

You're so useress, Arec Bardwin...

Written By: Mushroom on 09/13/05 at 7:41 am

My friend, statements like if Kerry had been elected we'd be "slaves to the terrorists" make absolutely no sense. Did you REALLY mean that literally? Stop and think about it, for a minute, seriously. That statement implied that if John Kerry had been elected President of the united States, somehow, a few thousand terrorists would be able to come into this country seemingly overnight(he would have only been President for a few months) and somehow overcome all of the security forces in this country, and subdue 300 million people into bondage? Sounds pretty silly when you elaborate it, doesn't it?

Honestly, I think that if Kerry were elected, we would be in the exact same situation in Iraq that we are in today.

One thing about a war, it is beyond the ability of just one man to control.  Richard Nixon entered office promising peace in Viet Nam.  Not even he could pull all of the troops out in less then 6 years.

Anybody that believes that Kerry would have had the troops home already has a very shaky grasp on reality.

Written By: EthanM on 09/13/05 at 9:01 am

They probably wouldn't all be home by now, but  I think there's a good chance that the national guard would have been back home if Kerry was president

Written By: limblifter on 09/13/05 at 9:01 am

Anybody that believes that Kerry would have had the troops home already has a very shaky grasp on reality.

Anybody that supports Bush's decision for invading Iraq has a very shaky grasp on reality.

Where exactly are your facts that there were no threats made to the United States from Iraq.  It was no secret that Saddam Hussaine(sorry for miss spelling of someone who doesn't even deserve the respect of having his named spelled correctly) hated George Bush Sr with a deep deep passion.  Have it be known, the man had a strong dislike for the United States altogether.  He did say Reagon was "good" and Clinton was "Ok" while being held, so I suppose those could be taken as "peace" terms.  Let's not forget he's a fan of American Froot Loops, so he no way could he have possibly been a threat to the United States, because bombing us means that he might have gotten the plant where Froot Loops are made.  YOu know in the capital city of Iraq, Saddam had a picture of Geroge Bush Sr painted on the floor of a building. You know why he did this?  So that people would come in and out of the building walking all over him every single day.  It was done out of pure hatred for George Bush Sr.  
  So your telling me that you know for a fact a man who hates George Bush Sr, never ever, in any way shape or form made a threat towards George Bush Jr, the man who is the son of the man that Saddam hates with passion.  Or, are you telling me that the media never informed you of such a threat?  It may not be such a invalid accusation to think that the media is going to expose everything that they can get there hands on, but it is rather ignorant to think that the government is going to tell the media everything, or let everything leak out.  

Now granted, I see it your way. George Bush Jr attacked Saddam Hussaine for objects on his own agenda. Primarily to take vengence for his father's defeat.  George Bush Sr has been beaten like a dog for over 10 years on why he didn't finish off Hussaine when he had the chance.  Jr, got sick of it, and now it's said and done.  

I and neither do you, KNOW, that for a fact.  So instead of b*tching at Rocknroll fan to distingush his facts from his opinions, I'd take a good look from within.

Sorry. but "He don't like my father" and vengeance for his fathers defeat are hardly valid arguments for invading another country.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/13/05 at 10:21 am

Honestly, I think that if Kerry were elected, we would be in the exact same situation in Iraq that we are in today.

One thing about a war, it is beyond the ability of just one man to control.  Richard Nixon entered office promising peace in Viet Nam.  Not even he could pull all of the troops out in less then 6 years.

What? I can't help but feel you are directing that at me.

The funny thing about that is..I didn't say that. At all.

Seeing as NOONE has said that in this thread(to my knowledge anyway, I might have missed a comment such as that, we're all human..), it seems like you are using the infamous "straw man" tactic. Which, if you know anything about debate, you should know it invalidates your argument because you are painting the "other side"(I know you pride yourself on being a "moderate", however im talking on this particular issue) in a negative color using a hypothesis. You can't criticize who you are arguing against for something they have not even said. That is a logical fallacy.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/13/05 at 10:26 am

Oh, another thing:

argument from omniscience: (e.g., All people believe in something. Everyone knows that.) An arguer would need omniscience to know about everyone's beliefs or disbeliefs or about their knowledge. Beware of words like "all," "everyone," "everything," "absolute."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/13/05 at 10:35 am

A good way to side-step the question. Ok, let me rephase it. What do YOU think he has done that is good? That is a simple, streight-foward question. And I want to tell you right here and now, that no matter how you answer it-whether I agree with you or not, I will respect your answer. I am not asking you this question as a trap. I am asking it because I sincerely want to know.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 09/13/05 at 2:59 pm

Sorry. but "He don't like my father" and vengeance for his fathers defeat are hardly valid arguments for invading another country.

Don't forget, Saddam tried to have George Bush Sr. assasinated.

The last time I looked, that is a declaration of war in and of itself.  If Argentina tried to have Maggie Thatcher assasinated, I am sure that England would have not blinked an eye to declare war on them.  And they would have had every right to do so.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/13/05 at 3:17 pm

A good way to side-step the question. Ok, let me rephase it. What do YOU think he has done that is good? That is a simple, streight-foward question. And I want to tell you right here and now, that no matter how you answer it-whether I agree with you or not, I will respect your answer. I am not asking you this question as a trap. I am asking it because I sincerely want to know.

Cat

So far the only answer he has given has been what he himself termed "beautiful silence"

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/13/05 at 3:24 pm

Alec Baldwin was against Geroge Bush being elected?  Never knew that, this surprises me.  Billy Baldwin as a alumni supporter of Binghamton University clearly would have voted for Bush, seeing in his battle with Title IX, Bush took his side and Kerry fought hard against him. Well not actually against him as in one on one. Kerry fought hard for the side that was against Billy Baldwin and the National Coaches Association of Amateur Olympic Athletics.

Daniel Baldwin was definitly on Bush's side.  No question.  Or was that Stephan Baldwin?  I forget...I think it may have been Stephan...it was one of the less talented ones...he was the one that claimed Bush was this nations only hope. 

Billy Baldwin was against Bush...at least he was in 2000....I remember him on the Daily Show then talking about that...the only difference is that he's much more informed on the issues than his brother Alec, and he seems to be tolerant of him. 

Written By: limblifter on 09/13/05 at 4:42 pm

Don't forget, Saddam tried to have George Bush Sr. assasinated.

The last time I looked, that is a declaration of war in and of itself.  If Argentina tried to have Maggie Thatcher assasinated, I am sure that England would have not blinked an eye to declare war on them.  And they would have had every right to do so.

You really need to be carefull with what you say. Do I need to remind you of the many different foreign leaders, and officials that the US has attempted to assasinate? Do all of these countries have a right to declare war on the United States and invade?

Written By: Harmonica on 09/13/05 at 4:47 pm

Anybody that supports Bush's decision for invading Iraq has a very shaky grasp on reality.

Dont' be sorry!  We agree on that!

It's why I put, "Now granted, I see it your way. George Bush Jr attacked Saddam Hussaine for objects on his own agenda. Primarily to take vengence for his father's defeat.  George Bush Sr has been beaten like a dog for over 10 years on why he didn't finish off Hussaine when he had the chance.  Jr, got sick of it, and now it's said and done"

Written By: Harmonica on 09/13/05 at 4:57 pm

I know based on the findings of the 9-11 commission that there was NO LINK between Iraq and Al Qaeda.  In fact, the committee found a link with IraN, not IraQ.  So, why aren't we in IraN?  And, AFA the "threat", it's not because the media didn't report any that I believe there weren't any, it's the fact that Dubya would've used that as an excuse for the war if there had been even one.  And, I'm not talking about a perceived threat, I'm talking about intelligence showing there was an actual plan to attack the US by Saddam.  Sorry, but "he insulted my daddy" isn't even a good reason for a playground fight, much less an all out war.

I question a lot of the same things you do on this.  Although not nearly as negatively critical as yourself, I too am not happy with the Presidents decision about the war. I also view it from a "he insulted my daddy" perspective.  I also think that Bush Jr, would have used that as an excuse too, if the threat had been on the entire United States.  I believe that if there was a threat on Bush Jr, and his family, alone, he would keep his mouth shut.  Saddamm say's, "I'm gonna have my son's rape your daughter's, I'll torture your mom and your dad, then I'm gonna get you"  I don't see anyone in the U.S. seeing that as a threat besides George Bush Jr and his close associates.  So about .002% of the total U.S. population.  So maybe this story comes down to more than in the past, although I dont' think it does.  I think it's also apparent that you believe that Bush himself knew full heartedly that there never were any Mass weapons of mass destruction long before he went looking for them.  You don't know that.  You can't pinpoint that as an excuse, as to why he went into Iraq.  It'd be obvious after time, of not honestly finding them that they become an excuse for staying, but not for going in the first place.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/13/05 at 6:24 pm

So far the only answer he has given has been what he himself termed "beautiful silence"

Yup, you are right. I was hoping for a strieght answer from him. Like I said, I wasn't trying to trick him or anything, I truly wanted to know what he thought that Bush did right.

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 09/13/05 at 7:14 pm

Actually, at first, I DID believe there may have been WMD's of some type there, but I never believed that Saddam threatened to use them on us.

Who was he going to use them on?  Or do you believe he had them for Show and Tell when he went to the local school?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/13/05 at 7:20 pm

Actually, at first, I DID believe there may have been WMD's of some type there, but I never believed that Saddam threatened to use them on us.

I'm not questioning you on this, but I am just curious. During Clinton's presidency I remember he had had a stand off with Saddam because he refused to let us into his vaults to find any destructive weapons or to examine them (I believe it was the United Nations that wanted to do this). Somehow we got out of this by bombing the area. Now, whether this was effective or not, we may never know because those findings were never exposed until the Iraq war. It sort of unnerves me a bit about that there was this long time before we actually "invaded" Iraq to find that there were no weapons. What does this pose? Were they ever there or were they not? Did Saddam "sell" these to other countries before we could ever find the true evidence?

Written By: Mushroom on 09/13/05 at 7:53 pm

You really need to be carefull with what you say. Do I need to remind you of the many different foreign leaders, and officials that the US has attempted to assasinate? Do all of these countries have a right to declare war on the United States and invade?

We also have had an Executive Order in place for over 30 years that makes such activities illegal.

The world is a much changed place then it once was.

And yes, any country who's leader we tried to assasinate had every right to delcare war upon us.  I do not have a double standard here.  However, I can't recall any of them that did.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/05 at 8:32 pm

Well, I don't think Kerry would have had the stones to stand up to a Republican congress and say, "OK, you mother*****s, here's what's gonna happen!"
Now if we had my main man Dennis Kucinich in the White House, the troops would all be home doing yoga and eating veggie-burgers!
;)

Agreed on both counts, but I don't think the filial vendetta was the reason for the Iraqi conquest.  Oil was and is.

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/14/05 at 12:33 am

technicly, yes

Written By: Harmonica on 09/14/05 at 2:19 am

I have no idea who he was going to use them on....maybe to defend his country if it was attacked?  All I know is that there was no THREAT made that he was going to use them on us or we'd have known about it LOOOONG ago.  We have WMD's too, does that give another country the right to invade us?  N. Korea has WMD's (we KNOW this, we were just told that Saddam had them), why didn't we invade them?  If I'm not mistaken, China does too.  The list could go on and on.  Why didn't we go bomb the crap out of Afghanistan, where we KNOW Bin Laden was?  After all, HE was the one who masterminded 9-11.  Long before the war started, it was discovered that there was NO LINK between Osama & Saddam, but we invaded Iraq anyway.

I readily admit that my position on the war has changed.  At first, my opinion was based on emotion because I bought into all the media bs.  I still think that Saddam had to be gotten rid of.  However, the more information that comes out and the more I learn through my own investigations on "hunches", the more I disagree with us being there.  Nevermind the fact that many of the Iraqis WANT us out of there.  Sure, they cheered when we overthrew the government, but now they want us to leave so they can get on with their lives.

Yes we and others have Weapons of Mass Destruction.  No, we shouldn't go around fighting everyone with them.  Yes we should killl Bin Laden.  Doesn't surprise me you bought into the media b.s., it's tough not too.  Yes Saddam had to be gotten rid of.  I too disagree with us being there at the time being.  yes they want us out of there, yes they are greatfull, but it's time to go home.

Let's get back to a different issue, so we can start arguing again. This agreeing is making me sick.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/14/05 at 10:48 am

Hey, it's nice to agree once in awhile....believe it or not, I don't ENJOY arguing with everyone (well, MOST of the time) ;) :)

For something you don't enjoy, you sure are good at it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/14/05 at 12:01 pm

I have no idea who he was going to use them on....maybe to defend his country if it was attacked?  All I know is that there was no THREAT made that he was going to use them on us or we'd have known about it LOOOONG ago.  We have WMD's too, does that give another country the right to invade us?  N. Korea has WMD's (we KNOW this, we were just told that Saddam had them), why didn't we invade them?  If I'm not mistaken, China does too.  The list could go on and on.  Why didn't we go bomb the crap out of Afghanistan, where we KNOW Bin Laden was?  After all, HE was the one who masterminded 9-11.  Long before the war started, it was discovered that there was NO LINK between Osama & Saddam, but we invaded Iraq anyway.

I readily admit that my position on the war has changed.  At first, my opinion was based on emotion because I bought into all the media bs.  I still think that Saddam had to be gotten rid of.  However, the more information that comes out and the more I learn through my own investigations on "hunches", the more I disagree with us being there.  Nevermind the fact that many of the Iraqis WANT us out of there.  Sure, they cheered when we overthrew the government, but now they want us to leave so they can get on with their lives.

I think the reason we haven't invaded the other countries may be supported by the point I made a few replies ago.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/14/05 at 3:28 pm

We also have had an Executive Order in place for over 30 years that makes such activities illegal.

The world is a much changed place then it once was.

And yes, any country who's leader we tried to assasinate had every right to delcare war upon us.  I do not have a double standard here.  However, I can't recall any of them that did.

Having the "right" isn't the issue.  The issue is having the MIGHT.  I guess the Cuban army could swim to Florida.

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/14/05 at 3:34 pm

If they could Carlos, i'd feel afraid for Florida. Cuban soldiers are  simply some of the best in the world. Really hardcore. I wonder how McDonald's rejects would fair against them?

Written By: Mushroom on 09/14/05 at 7:17 pm

Having the "right" isn't the issue.  The issue is having the MIGHT.  I guess the Cuban army could swim to Florida.

Since the 1960's, we have been paying the price for our Government's antaganism against Fidel Castro.  And until there is a change in government, things in that aspect will never change.  We could open up full trade, give Cuba $1 trillion, and Castro still will not trust us.  Things there will never change until after Castro is gone.

And I do not mean that in a sinister way.  Fidel is getting old, and it is simply a matter of time before he dies of natural causes.  Hopefully, the next Premier will be open to "Normalization" of relations with the US.

Every few years, there is talk about ending the embargo.  Since it was put in place by President Kennedy, it has never gotten beyong being talked about.  3 Democratic administrations and 4 Republican administrations have all made the choice to leave it in place (I do not consider Ford as having a seperate administration, he was simply a caretaker between Nixon and Carter).

Myself, I do not see it ending until after Castro is gone.  But I would wager money that it will not last long after he does.  I bet that within 2 years, the embargo will be lessend or lifted alltogether.

And don't forget, in the 1960's and 1970's, Cuba had a very powerful ally.  I am sure that is one of the reasons that President Ford drafted and enacted the Executive Order forbidding assasination as a tool of diplomacy.  And I am sure that the attempts on the life of Castro by Kennedy and Johnson, in addition to the US backing of the Coup and Assasination of Ngo Dinh Diem of South Vietnam had a lot to do with that decision.

Executive Order 11905 makes this very clear in Section 5 Peragraphs g-h:

(g) Prohibition of Assassination. No employee of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, political assassination.

(h) Implementation.

(1) This section of this Order shall be effective on March 1, 1976. Each department and agency affected by this section of this Order shall promptly issue internal directives to implement this section with respect to its foreign intelligence and counterintelligence operations.
(2) The Attorney General shall, within ninety days of the effective date of this section of this Order, issue guidelines relating to activities of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the areas of foreign intelligence and counterintelligence.

The order also established the current "Oversight" system.  It enabled the "Church Comission" to disect the Intelligence system, and forbit the FBI and CIA from exchanging information.

In the 1960's, it was foolish to attempt the assasination of somebody like Premier Castro.  And if we had been "caught red handed", the Soviet Union could have had a field day with the embarasment.  Much in the same way that they were able to use Francis Gary Powers and his U-2 airplane.

But things have changed.  Since 1976, assasination has been removed as a tool of diplomacy.  And I am one that is very glad that it is so.  It is one thing to support one side or another in a Civil War or Coup.  It is quite another to actively seek the death of a head of state during such an event.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/14/05 at 7:19 pm

Which point was that?  The UN was fully supportive of the last strike against Saddam, they were not in favor of this one.  There is no way to know when he got rid of them unless he himself tells us.  However, there was no thread made against us specifically by Saddam....in fact, based on what I've found through my own research, there were no threats to use the WMD's against anyone.  In that regard, we would have as much right to bomb Iraq as we would North Korea or China or any other country that has WMD's in violation of the UN rules.

Okay, so lets bomb em all  ;D  ;)

Written By: Mushroom on 09/14/05 at 7:54 pm

Which point was that?  The UN was fully supportive of the last strike against Saddam, they were not in favor of this one.  There is no way to know when he got rid of them unless he himself tells us.  However, there was no thread made against us specifically by Saddam....in fact, based on what I've found through my own research, there were no threats to use the WMD's against anyone.  In that regard, we would have as much right to bomb Iraq as we would North Korea or China or any other country that has WMD's in violation of the UN rules.

But the problem with Saddam is not just about WMD.

In April 1993, President Clinton bombed Iraw after it was proven that Saddam tried to have President Bush assasinated.

Saddam failed to follow most of the conditions of the 1991 cease fire.  Among them are accounting for Kuwaiti citizens and US servicemembers that were still unaccionted for.

He also refused to return property that was siezed in Kuwait during the invasion.

He continued to persecute and kill the Kurds, the Druse, and other Iraqi minority ethnic groups.

He continued to support international terrorism, including the payment of $25,000 to the survivors of any "suicide bomber" that killed themselves in Israel.

Iraq continued to move anti-aircraft missles into the "No Fly Zone", and to fly into them, often on attacks against Iraqi citizens.  They also frequently targeted and shot at the aircraft of the US and other UN nations who attempted to enforce these sanctions.

In violation of the cease fire agreement, they continued to import offensive weapons, including aircraft, tanks, and missles.

And the list goes on and on and on.  Iraq accumulated 16 UN Security Council Resolutions between 1990 and 1999.  They were caught red-handed on several occasions when they tried to import weapons from other nations, most notably North Korea.

If it was only WMD, that would be one thing.  But Saddam violated a lot of UN sanctions, and international laws.  He even gave aid to such terrorists as Carlos, Abu Nidal, and Al Zarqui.

If you ask me, he should have been brought down a decade ago.  And I am sure that Iran and the other Gulf nations feel much safer now that he is gone.

When the mass graves were discovered, I felt sick to my stomach.  I wish that we had taken the cork-fooking bastich out years ago.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/15/05 at 1:15 am

I'm not saying that Saddam was anywhere CLOSE to a "good guy", but all we heard leading up to the war (and at the beginning) was WMDs, WMDs, WMDs.  And yes, he violated umpteen UN sanctions, but the UN was not supportive of Bush invading Iraq.  AFA the "other Gulf nations feeling safer", I would imagine they do, but that's not the point....the point is are WE safer?  IMO, the answer to that is No because the perpetrator of the crimes against the US (USS Cole, 9-11, the prior bombing of the WTC, multiple bombings of various US Embassys) is STILL out there and it doesn't seem like THAT is a priority.  Has the capture/overthrow of Saddam weakened Al Qaeda?  It doesn't appear so.

And yes, the mass graves make me sick as well and I also wish that he had been "taken out" long ago.  But, honestly, can you say that Iraq is any safer now than they were then?  There are still insurgents, still suicide bombings pretty much weekly, still fighting between groups.

I think Iraq is going to just have to rebuild without us as they don't appear to want assistance nor they do they appear to be grateful enough to accept it. I think we should just get out while we're ahead (or more like, slugging in Mesopotamian sand).

Written By: Mushroom on 09/15/05 at 8:59 am

And yes, the mass graves make me sick as well and I also wish that he had been "taken out" long ago.  But, honestly, can you say that Iraq is any safer now than they were then?  There are still insurgents, still suicide bombings pretty much weekly, still fighting between groups.

With all the media there, have you heard of any "mass graves" being uncovered that date after 2003?

Have you heard of any towns depopulated?  Have you heard of families being deported, then never heard from again?

Have you heard any stories of secret underground prisons, where people are locked up by the tens of thousands, and systematically tortured because they do not agree with the Government?

I did not think so.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/15/05 at 9:04 am

Have you heard any stories of secret underground prisons, where people are locked up by the tens of thousands, and systematically tortured because they do not agree with the Government?

http://www.september11news.com/January_Jan11GuantanamoBayArrivalProc.jpg

Written By: limblifter on 09/15/05 at 9:40 am

Have you heard of any towns depopulated?  Have you heard of families being deported, then never heard from again?

Sure. North Korea, China, Rwanda, Sudan, Congo, Iran... We could go on and on naming countries.

What was it that made the people of Iraq more deserving of your "help" than all of the others?

Written By: ElDuderino on 09/15/05 at 11:02 am

I tell you what, I'd rather have a secular strongman like Saddam running Iraq than an Islamofascist "democracy". :D

But what about the Iraqis you say? Well, honestly, I think THEY would be better off with the secular strongman too. Saddam's Iraq was much more secure as far as women's rights, for example. But even if they wouldn't be, I don't really care. As bad as it may sound to some of you, I wouldn't trade ONE G.I. for a million Iraqis. It just isn't worth it because like someone else pointed out, all we are getting for our "helping" them is a boatload of $h!t.

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/15/05 at 12:53 pm

I wouldn't trade ONE G.I. for a million Iraqis. It just isn't worth it because like someone else pointed out, all we are getting for our "helping" them is a boatload of $h!t.

I would, i'd trade a million Iraqis to get back One G.I.

Written By: zcrito on 09/15/05 at 1:20 pm

http://www.september11news.com/January_Jan11GuantanamoBayArrivalProc.jpg

Equating the torture and killing of innocent Iraqi men, women and children during Saddam's regime to murderous democracy hating, Jew hating, Christian hating, Hindu hating, Asian hating, women hating, gay hating, fascists at Guantanamo. 
Good one, S~M. Yeah, real good.
But don't worry, their friends in Iraq are doing their best to keep Saddam's misery alive.

I haven't heard much talk in the media about our "innocents" at Guantanamo since the London bombings. I wonder why?

Written By: Alchoholica on 09/15/05 at 1:23 pm

I haven't heard much talk in the media about our "innocents" at Guantanamo since the London bombings. I wonder why?

::) Of course, people that have been locked up in a cell on the other side of the world were planning those attacks.

Why?

Because the Right wing cotrol all of the Media outlets in the United States and try not to rock the boat too much. Plus what with Hurricane Katrina the few independant news sources there are have a new issue to grill the neo-cons on.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/15/05 at 1:49 pm

I'm somewhat torn on the whole rebuilding thing.  One one hand, I think that they didn't ASK us to come over there and get rid of Saddam (although many of them were certainly grateful at the time that we did) and bomb the crap out of their country.  On the other hand, though, I agree with you.  But, let me also add that no matter WHAT we rebuild, there are always going to be the insurgents who are going to destroy it.

I don't think I will ever quite understand the thing about the insurgents. I know most of it is based on religious reasons, but it is so hard for me to understand why they do what they do. Some of the areas greatest relics have not really been destroyed by us, but by their own people.

Check for new replies or respond here...