» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Did I miss something?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/09/05 at 8:30 am

When did New Orleans repeal the second amendment?

New Orleans Begins Confiscating Firearms as Water Recedes
The New York Times
By: Alex Berenson
09/08/05

Waters were receding across this flood-beaten city today as police officers began confiscating weapons, including legally registered firearms, from civilians in preparation for a mass forced evacuation of the residents still living here.

No civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns, or other firearms, said P. Edwin Compass, the superintendent of police. "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons," he said.

But that order apparently does not apply to the hundreds of security guards whom businesses and some wealthy individuals have hired to protect their property. The guards, who are civilians working for private security firms like Blackwater, are openly carrying M-16's and other assault rifles. Mr. Compass said he was aware of the private guards, but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons.

Nearly two weeks after the floods began, New Orleans has turned into an armed camp, patrolled by thousands of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers, as well as National Guard troops and active-duty soldiers. While armed looters roamed unchecked last week, the city is now calm. No arrests were made on Wednesday night or this morning, and police received only 10 calls for service, a police spokesman said.

The city's slow recovery is continuing on other fronts as well, local officials said at a press conference late this morning. Pumping stations are now operating across much of the city, and many taps and fire hydrants have water pressure. Also, tests have shown no evidence of cholera or other dangerous diseases in flooded areas, though health officials have said the waters contain levels of E. coli bacteria and lead 10 times higher than what is considered safe.

Efforts to recover corpses have also started, although only a handful of bodies have been recovered so far.

Link

Subject: Re: Did I miss something?

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 9:32 am

The city's slow recovery is continuing on other fronts as well, local officials said at a press conference late this morning. Pumping stations are now operating across much of the city, and many taps and fire hydrants have water pressure. Also, tests have shown no evidence of cholera or other dangerous diseases in flooded areas, though health officials have said the waters contain levels of E. coli bacteria and lead 10 times higher than what is considered safe.

I read somewhere (BBC site probably) that some peole are known to have died after drinking the contaminated flood water.

The New York Times
09/08/05

As crazymom says there is a world of difference between "the right to bear arms" and taking pot shots at cops, rescue helicopters or whatever.  And I bet there are some things that change when a State of Emergency is declared

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/09/05 at 9:37 am

Well, some of these "legally armed" citizens were taking pot shots at cops and everyone else last week.  I have to wonder if there is a law in LA about carrying a loaded weapon?

The key word there is "some."  Because of some people, everyones' guns are getting, I assume and hope, only temporarily confiscated.

I don't know Louisiana law, but I assume it's like most of the laws regarding firearms throughout the southern region of the United States.  You can legally own a handgun, rifle or shotgun at 18 as long as you are not a convicted felon and you can get a permit to carry them concealed when you are 21, again as long as you are not a convicted felon.  You can carry your gun before you are 21 and/or if you don't have a permit as long as it's not concealed.  That's how it is in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee last time I heard anyway.

Written By: karen on 09/09/05 at 9:42 am

I have to wonder if there is a law in LA about carrying a loaded weapon?

ahahaha.  You meant Louisiana, not Los Angeles... I was totally confused by this part!!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/09/05 at 10:58 am

The key word there is "some."  Because of some people, everyones' guns are getting, I assume and hope, only temporarily confiscated.

I don't know Louisiana law, but I assume it's like most of the laws regarding firearms throughout the southern region of the United States.  You can legally own a handgun, rifle or shotgun at 18 as long as you are not a convicted felon and you can get a permit to carry them concealed when you are 21, again as long as you are not a convicted felon.  You can carry your gun before you are 21 and/or if you don't have a permit as long as it's not concealed.  That's how it is in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee last time I heard anyway.

I think this may have happened once before, I am shoulder to shoulder with you on this GW.  It is a pattern that is repeatedly followed.  I believe in gun control and the right to bear arms.  The actions of the few cannot be used as a rationale to deny the rights to all.  The reports of widespread gunfire seems to me, and others who remained glued to the set to be exaggerated, I am not saying that none of this happened, it did and when it did it was ugly, but it is not like the lawless western towns from  a grade B movie,  and the people who are having their weapons taken away are probably the ones in a better position to stop  a lot of what is going on.  Personally, I don't think they will ever see their weapons again, and this will be used as a test case for the further erosion of the right to responsibly bear arms.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/09/05 at 2:17 pm

When people's rights are violated, for any reason, we all lose.  This is like saying that because some people keep pot in their homes, the cops should have to right to search every home for pot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/05 at 7:01 pm

When people's rights are violated, for any reason, we all lose.  This is like saying that because some people keep pot in their homes, the cops should have to right to search every home for pot.

I want the 27th Amendment to be: "The people's right to bear marijuana shall not be infringed."

If Louisianans are having their 2nd Amendment rights violated, they should call in the ACLU!  However, I'm not certain that what is happening in this time of national emergency is technically unconstitutional.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/10/05 at 1:28 pm

The New York Times
09/08/05

Waters were receding across this flood-beaten city today as police officers began confiscating weapons, including legally registered firearms, from civilians in preparation for a mass forced evacuation of the residents still living here.

No civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns, or other firearms, said P. Edwin Compass, the superintendent of police. "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons," he said.

But that order apparently does not apply to the hundreds of security guards whom businesses and some wealthy individuals have hired to protect their property. The guards, who are civilians working for private security firms like Blackwater, are openly carrying M-16's and other assault rifles. Mr. Compass said he was aware of the private guards, but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons.
Link
I recall that about a day or two after Hurricane Katrina initially hit, and when the situation was starting to rapidly deteriorate, someone from the media (I forget who) was interviewing the mayor of New Orleans and they asked him if he was going to declare martial law. If I remember right I think that he said that he already had, but he had to get approval from the governor or something to that effect. If this is true, and N.O. is indeed under martial law it has been grossly underreported by the media.
    My recollection of this interview is hazy, but I do specifically recall hearing Mayor Ray Nagin say that he had declared martial law.

So yeah, you might have missed something.  I barely caught it myself.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/10/05 at 1:39 pm

(From WWLTV.com 8/31/05)

Nagin declares Martial Law to crack down on looters

Disgusted and furious with the lawlessness of looters who have put fear into citizens, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin declared Martial Law in the city and directed the city's 1,500 person police force to do "whatever it takes" to regain control of the city.

Nagin said that Martial Law means that officers don't have to worry about civil rights and Miranda rights in stopping the looters.

Amid the chaos Wednesday, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a pharmacy. The crowd stormed the store, carrying out so much ice, water and food that it dropped from their arms as they ran. The street was littered with packages of ramen noodles and other items.

Looters also chased down a state police truck full of food. The New Orleans police chief ran off looters while city officials themselves were commandeering equipment from a looted Office Depot. During a state of emergency, authorities have broad powers to take private supplies and buildings for their use. Managers at a nursing home were prepared to cope with the power outages and had enough food for days, but then the looting began. The Covenant Home's bus driver surrendered the vehicle to carjackers after being threatened.

Bands of people drove by the nursing home, shouting to residents, "Get out!" On Wednesday, 80 residents, most of them in wheelchairs, were being evacuated to other nursing homes in the state.

"We had enough food for 10 days," said Peggy Hoffman, the home's executive director. "Now we'll have to equip our department heads with guns and teach them how to shoot."

At one store, hordes of people from all ages, races and walks of life grabbed food and water. Some drove away with trunkloads of beer.

At one point, two officers drew their guns on the looters, but the thieves left without incident. One of the officers said he is not going to arrest anyone for snatching up food and water.

One young man was seen wading through chest-deep floodwater, carrying a case of soda, after looting a grocery store.

"We will restore law and order," Blanco said. "What angers me the most is that disasters like this often bring out the worst in people. I will not tolerate this kind of behavior."

John Matessino, president of the Louisiana Hospital Association, said he had not heard of anyone breaking into the hospitals, but he added that thieves got into the parking garage at one hospital and were stealing car batteries and stereos.

Officials tried to balance security needs with saving lives.

We're multitasking right now," said New Orleans Police Capt. Marlon Defillo. "Rescue, recovery, stabilization of looting, we're trying to feed the hungry." New Orleans' homeland security chief, Terry Ebbert, said looters were breaking into stores all over town and stealing guns. He said there are gangs of armed men moving around the city. At one point, officers stranded on the roof of a hotel were fired at by criminals on the street.

The Times-Picayune newspaper reported that the gun section at a new Wal-Mart had been cleaned out by looters.

Authorities said an officer was shot in the head and a looter was wounded in a shootout. The officer and looter were expected to survive.

Written with AP contributions.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/10/05 at 3:05 pm

Yes, in extreme situations, people have to give up there civil rights.  They should accept it or move to Europe.  But they should stop whining.

Check for new replies or respond here...