» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What Bush has done Right?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/14/05 at 7:01 am

This is a board for all bush fans who feel set upon by others. A poster felt that if he wrote about what he believed bush had done right, he and his views would be maligned. I would like to ask that  this board be
available for say...24 hours for comments on what this administration has done that has turned out well.  Only facts, and the words "Clinton", "Kerry", "Gore", "liberals" and all that other diversions and speculations be excluded from the post.  Just what policies this administration has done right, and why.

Subject: Re: What Bush has done Right?

Written By: Harmonica on 09/14/05 at 11:03 am

1. Life was pure Hell of Iraqies, regardless of Bush's intentions, he will be credited eventually for taking that Hell away from them. 

2. Bush was the first president to seriously take a look at the original intention of Title IX and the ways inwhich it has gone against it's original intention in the past 35 years. He as of late hasn't followed  through with his intentions to rewrite Title IX so it now will do what it has intended to do, and not be about proportionality alone.  I'm not happy about that, but he is the first President  to acknowledge that he gives a crap about, 60 dropped men's gymnastics teams(DIVISION I ALONE), 120 dropped men's swimming teams(DI-DII-DIII), 395 dropped men's wrestling teams(DI-DII-DIII-NAIA-NJCAA), countless dropped men's swimming teams, among dropped men's golf teams and dropped men's baseball teams.  For every 25 men's dropped teams, only one women's team gets added.  I could go on and on and on about this, but Title IX's original intention is an awesome thing, that I support full heartedly, but the ways inwhich Title IX has been operating throughout the past 35 years is injust and plain wrong.  Bush at LEAST knows this, and doesn't pretend like there isn't a problem.

3. Bush is telling people to quit relying on social security. I, like the liberals, see this as something that is't right or fair, but let me take a liberal standpoint against the liberals and justify what Bush is doing here.  Right and fair, have nothing to do with the way the world is or is going to work.  So in the long run Bush is convincing people to start investing there money in retirement funds, saving accounts and other places of safe storage.  Even now, social security doesn't hardly pay for jack squat, Bush is eliminating us relying upon a failing system and causing us to take initiative into taking care of ourselves.  Let me take another liberal jab and say, I'd like it if it didn't have to be this way, but name me on joe or jane that is living completely comfortably without financial hardship that is relying upon social security alone.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/14/05 at 11:12 am

Before anyone comments I would like to reiterate that this topic was entered so that those who
support bushs administration could have 24 hours to  make their case unmolested, and the bush
supporters hold to the guidelines.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/05 at 12:21 pm

Um um um um....gimme another minute. And then another.  And then...
;)

Written By: Mushroom on 09/14/05 at 6:48 pm

Personally, I do not care much about Bush, one way or the other.

However, I do not like to see anybody "bashed".  If you do not like somebody because of their party/affiliation/politics, that is gine, and within your right.  But to then make them the scapegoat for everything in the world is not fair, accurate, nor is it healthy.

I both agreed, and disagreed with a lot of things President Clinton did/believed.  However, I did not blame him for everything that I saw as bad in the world.  He was from another party, fine.  I can live with that (and I expect to live with it).  I supported him in Yugoslavia and Somalia, and felt frustration with Republicans that attacked him for it.

To me, the world is a complex place, full of a great many differing dynamics.  Whenever somebody tries to over-simplify something and make somebody a scapegoat, I get frustrated.

President Bush is not a great President.  He is also not a bad President.  For the most part, he is Average.  If not for 9/11, he would probably have gone down in history, and ultimately be as remembered as Benjamin Harrison.

However, he was President when both the worst terrorist attack, and the worst natrual disaster occured in the US.  Neither of them was his fault, and he has done the best job he can in coping with them.  But nobody is perfect, and I do feel he has done the best job that anybody can expect of anybody.

I do not let politics affect how I view the world.  And in the end run, the President really has very little influence in the course of the world.  But he is a figurehead that people rally behind (or rally against).

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/14/05 at 11:23 pm

Im not a fan of Bush, but I will admit that he handled the imediate post-9-11 well.

I also dont have much problems with him before the Iraq war started

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/05 at 12:05 am

Um, let's see, that little dog seems to like him pretty good!
:)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/05 at 5:33 am

However, he was President when both the worst terrorist attack, and the worst natrual disaster occured in the US.  Neither of them was his fault, and he has done the best job he can in coping with them.  But nobody is perfect, and I do feel he has done the best job that anybody can expect of anybody.

When I entered this topic I asked for just a couple of concessions on both sides. This is how your last post should have read to keep within the spirit of that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/15/05 at 7:20 am

Im not a fan of Bush, but I will admit that he handled the imediate post-9-11 well.

I also dont have much problems with him before the Iraq war started

I agree with you on that Billy.  I mean, he is by all means, NOT my favorite person in the world...but I don't hate him either.  Yes, he's done a lot of stupid things...but during the time of 9-11...I felt the same way.

Erin :)

Written By: Mushroom on 09/15/05 at 8:00 am

When I entered this topic I asked for just a couple of concessions on both sides. This is how your last post should have read to keep within the spirit of that.

Yes Madam censor.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/05 at 10:04 am

Yes Madam censor.

To censor is to delete, I didn't delete the post, it is there for anyone. with minimal effort, to read.  I did show an edited version, Cliff Notes as it were.  It would help if there was a bit more editing and a lot less wind.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/05 at 11:45 am

I waited 24 hours. Now I am going to comment.

1. Life was pure Hell of Iraqies, regardless of Bush's intentions, he will be credited eventually for taking that Hell away from them. 

2. Bush was the first president to seriously take a look at the original intention of Title IX and the ways inwhich it has gone against it's original intention in the past 35 years. He as of late hasn't followed  through with his intentions to rewrite Title IX so it now will do what it has intended to do, and not be about proportionality alone.  I'm not happy about that, but he is the first President  to acknowledge that he gives a crap about, 60 dropped men's gymnastics teams(DIVISION I ALONE), 120 dropped men's swimming teams(DI-DII-DIII), 395 dropped men's wrestling teams(DI-DII-DIII-NAIA-NJCAA), countless dropped men's swimming teams, among dropped men's golf teams and dropped men's baseball teams.  For every 25 men's dropped teams, only one women's team gets added.  I could go on and on and on about this, but Title IX's original intention is an awesome thing, that I support full heartedly, but the ways inwhich Title IX has been operating throughout the past 35 years is injust and plain wrong.  Bush at LEAST knows this, and doesn't pretend like there isn't a problem.

3. Bush is telling people to quit relying on social security. I, like the liberals, see this as something that is't right or fair, but let me take a liberal standpoint against the liberals and justify what Bush is doing here.  Right and fair, have nothing to do with the way the world is or is going to work.  So in the long run Bush is convincing people to start investing there money in retirement funds, saving accounts and other places of safe storage.  Even now, social security doesn't hardly pay for jack squat, Bush is eliminating us relying upon a failing system and causing us to take initiative into taking care of ourselves.  Let me take another liberal jab and say, I'd like it if it didn't have to be this way, but name me on joe or jane that is living completely comfortably without financial hardship that is relying upon social security alone.

I am very glad that you answered this question because this was the same question I had asked you in another thread that you didn't answer. So, I appriecate you answering here. I must admit that I am not familar with Title IX so I will not comment on that one way or the other. I disagree with you on your other two points but I respect your opinion.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/15/05 at 3:01 pm

The goal of Title IX is to create funding equity between men's and women's sports in public schools. Men's sports, especially football are much more expensive than women's sports, so many schools, in order to keep their football teams and comply were forced to drop other sports that are less popular and make less $$$ (at the college level).  My point is that the macro ststs quoted don't tell the whole story by a long shot.

While it is true that it is very difficult to live on Soc Sec, and it would be nice if everyone could save for retirement, tell that to the typical 60 year old hiugh school grad with a blue collar job.  as to the way the world works, right now it works so that Soc Sec provides a basic floor that protects people from dire poverty.  Its supposed problems could easilly be fixed by removing the cap on the SS tax.  "Fixing" it by depriving it of $$$ is not a solution but a destruction, which is what is intended.

On these issues you need to study up on the facts.

As to Iraq, it all depends on your view of the role of the US in world affairs.  Are we to  be the arbitor of other nations' fates, the world policeman?  If yes, than Bush's war was/is justified.  If no, then it is not.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/15/05 at 3:15 pm

I do not let politics affect how I view the world.  And in the end run, the President really has very little influence in the course of the world.  But he is a figurehead that people rally behind (or rally against).

Bush was responsible for neither 9/11 nor Katrina but in the former case he was responsible for acting on intelligance that was available to him, and for making sure that the intelligance community was on the stick.  He was also reponsible for maintaining FEMA's readiness.  In both cases he was warned of approaching danger and in both cases he fell down on the job. 

Harry Truman had a sign on his desk that said "The Buck Stops Here"  for Bush it reads "Look Elsewhere".  The president is the most powerful man in the world, and HAS the ability to get things done if he is on top of them.  Bush makes sure he isn't.  He doesn't read the newspapers, he hires cronies like"Brownie" to fill sensitive positions, his aids are, reportedly, affraid to give him bad news.  He is, apparently, lazy, insulated, and unaware.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/15/05 at 4:58 pm

The goal of Title IX is to create funding equity between men's and women's sports in public schools. Men's sports, especially football are much more expensive than women's sports, so many schools, in order to keep their football teams and comply were forced to drop other sports that are less popular and make less $$$ (at the college level).  My point is that the macro ststs quoted don't tell the whole story by a long shot.

While it is true that it is very difficult to live on Soc Sec, and it would be nice if everyone could save for retirement, tell that to the typical 60 year old hiugh school grad with a blue collar job.  as to the way the world works, right now it works so that Soc Sec provides a basic floor that protects people from dire poverty.  Its supposed problems could easilly be fixed by removing the cap on the SS tax.  "Fixing" it by depriving it of $$$ is not a solution but a destruction, which is what is intended.

On these issues you need to study up on the facts.

As to Iraq, it all depends on your view of the role of the US in world affairs.  Are we to  be the arbitor of other nations' fates, the world policeman?  If yes, than Bush's war was/is justified.  If no, then it is not.

Study up on the facts?  Don Carlos, you don't have a clue. 

“No person in the U.S. shall, on the basis of sex be excluded from participation in, or denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving federal aide.”    Word for word, what Title IX says.  35 years ago, things in colleges weren't fair to women. Today, they aren't fair to men.  Especially on the playing field.

Now don't get me Wrong Don Carlos, for the original intent, I'm for Title IX 100%.  Since it’s creation in 1972  it has brought about many wonderful changes. At one time the University  Oregon would not allow girls to run cross country. Thanks to Title IX, they are now allowed to do so. Back in the 1950’s up until 1972 only 294,015 girls played sports in high school compared to 3.7 million boys. Nancy Hogshead-Maker, A winner of 4 Olympic medals at the 1984 games. She said, “I would not have become a world class swimmer without opportunity as an eleven year old to be in a swimming program in my community. I would of not of earned a full scholarship without the school offering me one.”  Don Carlos, take my word for it, stories like these are very heart warming, I love them.

Since Title IX’s creation 392 men’s wrestling teams and 87 Men's gymnastic's teams have been dropped because of Title IX.  I suppose you don't believe me, and that's only my opinion.

You can find the rest of my "opinion" at http://www.thewrestlingmall.com/specialinterests/simplycommonsense/dropped.asp

Don't try and make me out to be an idiot about Title IX. I guarantee you this is the one issue I know more about than you. I've been studying it left and right deeply since I got a flyer at a wrestling camp about it back in 7th grade, I'm a sophomore in college now. This isn't something I look at once in a while, it's something I look at weekly.  Liberal supporters want to place all blame on Football and Basketball. They have there points, good points.  Point to Notre Dame University who after the 1992 wrestling season dropped the program, after threats from Title IX.  Money was not an issue at Notre Dame, but the athletic director who was a huge football supporter, eliminated wrestling.  Therefore coming to equality in proportionality.  Seeing that Money was not an issue at Notre Dame it could have been just as easy for the AD to add a women's sports team, but rather than do that he decided to elminate wrestling instead, so the $$ that once went to wrestling, would now go to football.  You have the same story for the most part at UCLA, only change wrestling to men's swimming, and football to the men's basketball program, and you once again can stand by your liberal views on Title IX.

That's one reason, one of many, not one of one.  Proportionality is the majority of stories when it comes to Title IX.  Now I'm sure that you know what porportionality is, but I know a there has to be a few others who are going to take a look at this message and not know for sure what I'm talking about.  I'll explain.  For example say that 50 percent of the full-time students on a college campus are females, then 50 percent of the student-athletes must be women. So if their are 40 available  roster spots each for softball and baseball, but only 20 girls try out for the softball team and 40 boys try out for the baseball team, then the school would be forced to eliminate 20 male baseball players in order to maintain gender equality.

Title IX is thence killing the male walk on athlete.  For those who aren't sure what a walk on athlete is.  Walk on athlete = Non recruited individual who is getting NO scholarship money, who walks into practice because he/she wants to be a part of the team out of the love of the sport.    These kids deserve as much right to play as those who had the natural talent in high school to be recruited and awarded scholarship money.  I can name a lot of football, basketball, baseball, track, golf, and soccer successful walk on athletes, including a high list of All Americans.  If you want me to name wrestler walk on All Americans, be prepared to see a crap load of names.  At the DI, DII and NAIA levels where scholarhips are offered it's very difficult to find women walk on athletes. The fact of the matter is that in order to get women to go out for sports in college you have to provide them with scholarships.  Women don't have the love for sports that men do, and that isn't easy for me to say having a good friend who made All American Status in Track and field without a scholarship.  Eight out of ten intramural athlete’s are men.  It's a sad fact, but women and men view sports differently. 

From 1992 to 1997 20,000 men’s roster sports wee cut compared to only 5,800 women’s sports added.  That's 71% of men's sports teams being dropped for No reason. 71% of young men's life's falling apart and dreams being broken for no reason.  I'm looking forward to how you justify this and tell me that it is fair and right.

“I think I’m trying to enforce Title IX, because it says don’t discriminate on the basis of sex. Well, when your telling males to clean out their lockers because they are males... boy, if that’s not discrimination on the basis of sex, I don’t know what is.”  University of Chicago Head Wrestling Coach Lee Kocher.

If you care to elaborate how much more I don't know about Title IX, feel free.  I'll be more than happy to show you all of which I don't know.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/05 at 5:55 pm

This is a quote from you that prompted this thread. 

"You for one might.  But let me rest assure you that with what I write down, either I'll be told why I'm wrong, and how what I think is good is actually bad OR you won't have any idea what I'm talking about altogether."

Written By: Harmonica on 09/15/05 at 9:06 pm

This is a quote from you that prompted this thread. 

"You for one might.  But let me rest assure you that with what I write down, either I'll be told why I'm wrong, and how what I think is good is actually bad OR you won't have any idea what I'm talking about altogether."

Well, I was write wasn't I.  Do you honestly think that Don Carlos wasnt' going to tell me that I was wrong, even if I hadn't of said that?

Written By: limblifter on 09/16/05 at 10:28 am

Harmonica. I'm asking this question, becuase I am from another country, and don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to title IX.

But Carlos brought up a pretty good point. Are a majority of the schools that are dropping men's programs big "Football" schools? Because from i've been able to gather, these schools make more money off of college football than they do say wrestling, water polo, or even mens gymnastics.

The way i've seen it, it's the universities that are to blame in all of this, not title IX. But like I said, that's just what i've been led to understand.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/16/05 at 10:39 am

Bush was responsible for neither 9/11 nor Katrina but in the former case he was responsible for acting on intelligance that was available to him, and for making sure that the intelligance community was on the stick. 

Yes, and Bill Clinton had the same intelligence, and did not do anything meaningfull with it.

There was intelligence that pointed to the attack on the USS Cole ahead of time, it was not reacted on fast enough.

FDR also had intelligence on the impending attack on Pearl Harbor, and nothing was done with it.  In fact, decisions were made that made the attack even worse.

One thing you have to understand is the sheer volume of intelligence that comes in.  I used to work with our Battalion S-2 (Intelligence) section.  Even for an Infantry Battalion, there is a lot to digest and sort through.  And 90% of what is recieved is incorrect, outdated, or conflicting.  I had to learn about the "Alphabet Soup" of mid-eastern terrorist groups in the mid-1980's, and there were a ton of them.  Some were working together, some opposed each other, some were multiple names for the same organization (Abu Nidal was a master of that).  This all helped to make the intelligence cloudy, and hard to decipher.

And there is an old saying:  The best used intelligence is that in which you never know it was used.  ENIGMA and MAGIC are great examples.  We had the codes for both Germany and Japan suring WWII, but a lot of it could not be used.  If we had used some of it (or used it to often), it would become known that their codes had been broken.  They would simply change the codes, and we would be in the same spot we were in before.

And in addition, we had broken the Japanese Diplomatic Codes.  In fact, out intelligence community knew of the attack on Pearl Harbor before the Japanese Ambasidor did!  But they could not use that information, because it would tip the hand.

Intelligence is a shell game.  And very rarely is the intelligence so complete, that it can be used to totally stop something.

And in the case of 9/11, what could they have done?  Until the moment came to take over the planes, there had been no crimes comitted.  At most, they could have picked up a handfull of them for Immigration violations.  This was a very closed cell, with very little outside communication.  Even if they got a tip saying "19 hijackers are going to take over these 4 flights on this date", there is not much they could have done about it.

If they had arrested them, what proof was there?  People would be screaming at "Bush The Dictator", for arresting "19 innocent people without cause".  If the flights were cancelled, they just would have done it on another date.  They carried nothing illegal with them, they did not violate any laws until they actually took over the planes.  And by then, it was to late to do anything about it.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/16/05 at 10:45 am

Harmonica. I'm asking this question, becuase I am from another country, and don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to title IX.

But Carlos brought up a pretty good point. Are a majority of the schools that are dropping men's programs big "Football" schools? Because from i've been able to gather, these schools make more money off of college football than they do say wrestling, water polo, or even mens gymnastics.

In the US, Football and Basketball are the only sports that anybody seems to care about.

I myself look at it as more of the fans that the colleges themselves.  It is the fans that dictate the popularity of a school.  And unlike Baseball, good college players of Football and Basketball have a chance to go immediately to the "Big Leagues".  Baseball has a very different system of training and promoting players, and even the most tallented ones play2-5+ years in "Semi-pro" teams before they are promoted to the "Big Leagues".

Michael Jordon went to school initially on a Baseball scholarship.  When he graduated, he had to make a choice between Basketball and Baseball, and choose Basketball.  He tried to make a go at Baseball years later, but never made it past a 3rd rate franchise team. 

Written By: Harmonica on 09/16/05 at 10:52 am

The way i've seen it, it's the universities that are to blame in all of this, not title IX. But like I said, that's just what i've been led to understand.

Don Carlos brings up an excellent point, for some cases. For example as I pointed out with The University of Notre Dame.  As far as the majority of of the schools being big "Football" Schools, the answer to the question as far as the overall men's olympic sports teams dropped the answer is no.  Football and Men's basketball programs at any school take up the majority of the money.  The reasons are very obvious.  Football and men's basketball are the highest revenue sports, because of there extreme popularity.  No doubt in my mind when The University of Alabama dropped it's wrestling program in 1987, the AD had no problem coming to terms with Title IX and  axing the wrestling program so more money could be put into the football program.  I know fact for fact this happened at Notre dame.   However as far as the majority goes, the answer is no.  Especially when it comes to wrestling.  Go to this site http://www.thewrestlingmall.com/specialinterests/simplycommonsense/dropped.asp  and you'll see a lot of schools on the list who are not known for football or Men's basketball.

Unversities and the way the spend there money are a part of why men's programs are being axed left and right.  However, it is plain foolish to undermind the effect of Title IX.  Title IX and it's gender quota's with exceptional emphasis on proportionality are, no way around it, the #1 reason why teams are being dropped.

Title IX needs to realize that you can't use proportionality because women's interest in sports isn't anywhere near as large as men's.  It's not fair to elminate baseball for 45 players who love the game and want to play strongly because the softball coach simply can not round up enough girls who want to play softball for a team.

In this country there are girls,  on partial all the way up to full scholarship, for a varsity sport who never even heard of the sport until they enrolled in the University and were asked if they want to go out for the team.  University of Iowa for example have women on full ride scholarships to be a part of the Women's varsity rowing team, who never once participated in the event before being offered a scholarship.  

That's just one extreme men's olympic sport's at the college level supporters will go to to help save them.

P.S.  this really surprises me that you ask for my knowledge on something.  I'm used to "different" responses.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/16/05 at 11:07 am

In the US, Football and Basketball are the only sports that anybody seems to care about.

I myself look at it as more of the fans that the colleges themselves.  It is the fans that dictate the popularity of a school.  And unlike Baseball, good college players of Football and Basketball have a chance to go immediately to the "Big Leagues".  Baseball has a very different system of training and promoting players, and even the most tallented ones play2-5+ years in "Semi-pro" teams before they are promoted to the "Big Leagues".

Michael Jordon went to school initially on a Baseball scholarship.  When he graduated, he had to make a choice between Basketball and Baseball, and choose Basketball.  He tried to make a go at Baseball years later, but never made it past a 3rd rate franchise team. 

Football and Basketball are the a$$kickers when it comes to fan base and high revenue intake no doubt about it.  Many reasons and theories behind this. 

I see this as television.  Football and basetball at the NCAA Division I level can be watched on TV pretty much at any given time during there seasons.  If it's on people are going to watch it.  Take Division I wrestling, baseball, lacrosse, and gymnastics.  Only the finals of the NCAA National championship tournament will you get to see them on regular television.  It's already being proved that the popularity for a sport goes up dramatically by 5% increases the more and more it's exposed on television.  The new CSTV(College sports Television) is proving that by the week with it's viewings of Water polo, women's volleyball, women's field hockey, men's wrestling, men's swimming, and men's gymastics.

I also see this as professional.  Football and Basketball are two sports that have a professional area. The NFL and the NBA.  The really funny thing here is that hockey and baseball have professional areas too,  the MLB and the NHL.  (Then I hope that no one thinks that wrestling has it's professional field with the WWE and NWA/TNA.  If anyone doesn't know that ther is a HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between Professional wrestling and amateur wrestling, please please IM me, I'll be more than happy to explain.) But let me tell you why I believe that baseball and hockey don't have the grip that basektball and football do.  First and foremost it's because of the arrogance of our country.  The United States of America is the football powerhouse.  No other country cares for as deeply and passionately about football as the United States. We want to be bigger and badder and better than everyone else and in football we are.  The same with Basketball, American's believe gaining team medals almost every olympics(not Gold last time..ha ha ha ha!) that we can kick everyone's but in Basketball.

This doesn't happen in other sports.  Japanese kick our butt in ping pong.  Chinese kill us in gymnastics.  The South Koreans make us look like our sharpshooters don't have an iota of how to shoot a rifle.  The Russians, Cubans, and Iranians hand losses to the best wrestlers we have to offer.  American's can't handle defeat.  Football and basketball, have little to no defeat.

These of course are just hypothesis based on what I see.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/16/05 at 3:07 pm

Football and Basketball are the a$$kickers when it comes to fan base and high revenue intake no doubt about it.  Many reasons and theories behind this. 

I see this as television. 

Actually, this started long before TV came about.  The Rose Bowl started in 1902, and was very popular.  The Sugar Bowl and Orange Bowl started in 1935.  The Sun Bowl started in 1936.  The Cotton Bowl started in 1937.  The Gator Bowl, Tangerine Bowl (now the Capitol One Bowl),  and Hula Bowl started in 1946.  The "North Vs. South" Seniors Bowl started in 1950.

So before the advent of TV (or in some cases radio), bowl games already had a history in this country.  In areas where there is no major league sports teams (like Alabama and Idaho), all there is to watch is college games.  Out here, everybody is either an Auburn fan, or an Alabama fan (except for me, I still chear for Boise State University).

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/16/05 at 3:49 pm

“No person in the U.S. shall, on the basis of sex be excluded from participation in, or denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving federal aide.”    Word for word, what Title IX says.  35 years ago, things in colleges weren't fair to women. Today, they aren't fair to men.  Especially on the playing field.

Now don't get me Wrong Don Carlos, for the original intent, I'm for Title IX 100%.  Since it’s creation in 1972  it has brought about many wonderful changes. At one time the University  Oregon would not allow girls to run cross country. Thanks to Title IX, they are now allowed to do so. Back in the 1950’s up until 1972 only 294,015 girls played sports in high school compared to 3.7 million boys. Nancy Hogshead-Maker, A winner of 4 Olympic medals at the 1984 games. She said, “I would not have become a world class swimmer without opportunity as an eleven year old to be in a swimming program in my community. I would of not of earned a full scholarship without the school offering me one.”  Don Carlos, take my word for it, stories like these are very heart warming, I love them.

Since Title IX’s creation 392 men’s wrestling teams and 87 Men's gymnastic's teams have been dropped because of Title IX.  I suppose you don't believe me, and that's only my opinion.

You can find the rest of my "opinion" at http://www.thewrestlingmall.com/specialinterests/simplycommonsense/dropped.asp

Don't try and make me out to be an idiot about Title IX. I guarantee you this is the one issue I know more about than you. I've been studying it left and right deeply since I got a flyer at a wrestling camp about it back in 7th grade, I'm a sophomore in college now. This isn't something I look at once in a while, it's something I look at weekly.  Liberal supporters want to place all blame on Football and Basketball. They have there points, good points.  Point to Notre Dame University who after the 1992 wrestling season dropped the program, after threats from Title IX.  Money was not an issue at Notre Dame, but the athletic director who was a huge football supporter, eliminated wrestling.  Therefore coming to equality in proportionality.  Seeing that Money was not an issue at Notre Dame it could have been just as easy for the AD to add a women's sports team, but rather than do that he decided to elminate wrestling instead, so the $$ that once went to wrestling, would now go to football.  You have the same story for the most part at UCLA, only change wrestling to men's swimming, and football to the men's basketball program, and you once again can stand by your liberal views on Title IX.

That's one reason, one of many, not one of one.  Proportionality is the majority of stories when it comes to Title IX.  Now I'm sure that you know what porportionality is, but I know a there has to be a few others who are going to take a look at this message and not know for sure what I'm talking about.  I'll explain.  For example say that 50 percent of the full-time students on a college campus are females, then 50 percent of the student-athletes must be women. So if their are 40 available  roster spots each for softball and baseball, but only 20 girls try out for the softball team and 40 boys try out for the baseball team, then the school would be forced to eliminate 20 male baseball players in order to maintain gender equality.

Title IX is thence killing the male walk on athlete.  For those who aren't sure what a walk on athlete is.  Walk on athlete = Non recruited individual who is getting NO scholarship money, who walks into practice because he/she wants to be a part of the team out of the love of the sport.    These kids deserve as much right to play as those who had the natural talent in high school to be recruited and awarded scholarship money.  I can name a lot of football, basketball, baseball, track, golf, and soccer successful walk on athletes, including a high list of All Americans.  If you want me to name wrestler walk on All Americans, be prepared to see a crap load of names.  At the DI, DII and NAIA levels where scholarhips are offered it's very difficult to find women walk on athletes. The fact of the matter is that in order to get women to go out for sports in college you have to provide them with scholarships.  Women don't have the love for sports that men do, and that isn't easy for me to say having a good friend who made All American Status in Track and field without a scholarship.  Eight out of ten intramural athlete’s are men.  It's a sad fact, but women and men view sports differently. 

From 1992 to 1997 20,000 men’s roster sports wee cut compared to only 5,800 women’s sports added.  That's 71% of men's sports teams being dropped for No reason. 71% of young men's life's falling apart and dreams being broken for no reason.  I'm looking forward to how you justify this and tell me that it is fair and right.

“I think I’m trying to enforce Title IX, because it says don’t discriminate on the basis of sex. Well, when your telling males to clean out their lockers because they are males... boy, if that’s not discrimination on the basis of sex, I don’t know what is.”  University of Chicago Head Wrestling Coach Lee Kocher.

If you care to elaborate how much more I don't know about Title IX, feel free.  I'll be more than happy to show you all of which I don't know.

My dear H, I am quite willing to acknowlegde that you are more up on Title IX than I am, and I'm sorry if you took my comments as an affront.  That was not the intent.  Nor did I mean to suggest that you held sexist attitudes re women's sports.  My point was that overall, (gross) statistics can be misleading and that athletic directors make choices, as your Notre Dame example demonstrates.  At Castleton, (where I still teach part time) for every man's team we have a woman's team (no football) and the woman's teams often do better in our league than the men.  Nor do we at Castleton offer athletic scholarships - thank the Higher power - nor should any  school. 

What I'm suggesting is that you need to ask additional questions re how and why so many men's sports were dropped and so few woman's sports added.  The numbers are suggestive, but they are macro numbers which could very well conceal as much as they reveal.  I don't know your major, but if it in the Physical Education area you might take on a detailed analysis of thos macro numbers as a senior thesis.  After all, the devil is in the details, so there just might be a reason why so many mem's sports have been dropped and so few women's added that has to do with the intent of Title IX.

I'm not sure what you mean by Quoting coach Kocher, but it sounds like he is saying that male athletes shouldn't have to be responsible for their personal space - by implication is he saying "let tyhe cleaning lady do it"?

As I said above, I'm sure you know a good deal more than I do about title IX (although last year a student of mine wrote a term paper applauding its akcomplishments).  What I was saying is that there is much more than macro stats to be considered. 

note bene

Your response was filled with anger and indignation, as many of your responses are.  Is that really how you want to project yourself, especially as your avitar is one depiction of the "prince of peace"?  You need not assume that everyone who raises issues with you for debate and discussion is your enemy.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/16/05 at 4:30 pm

(1.) Yes, and Bill Clinton had the same intelligence, and did not do anything meaningfull with it.

(2)There was intelligence that pointed to the attack on the USS Cole ahead of time, it was not reacted on fast enough.

(3) FDR also had intelligence on the impending attack on Pearl Harbor, and nothing was done with it.  In fact, decisions were made that made the attack even worse.

(4) One thing you have to understand is the sheer volume of intelligence that comes in.  I used to work with our Battalion S-2 (Intelligence) section.  Even for an Infantry Battalion, there is a lot to digest and sort through.  And 90% of what is recieved is incorrect, outdated, or conflicting.  I had to learn about the "Alphabet Soup" of mid-eastern terrorist groups in the mid-1980's, and there were a ton of them.  Some were working together, some opposed each other, some were multiple names for the same organization (Abu Nidal was a master of that).  This all helped to make the intelligence cloudy, and hard to decipher.

And there is an old saying:  The best used intelligence is that in which you never know it was used.  ENIGMA and MAGIC are great examples.  We had the codes for both Germany and Japan suring WWII, but a lot of it could not be used.  If we had used some of it (or used it to often), it would become known that their codes had been broken.  They would simply change the codes, and we would be in the same spot we were in before.

And in addition, we had broken the Japanese Diplomatic Codes.  In fact, out intelligence community knew of the attack on Pearl Harbor before the Japanese Ambasidor did!  But they could not use that information, because it would tip the hand.

Intelligence is a shell game.  And very rarely is the intelligence so complete, that it can be used to totally stop something.

(5)And in the case of 9/11, what could they have done?  Until the moment came to take over the planes, there had been no crimes comitted.  At most, they could have picked up a handfull of them for Immigration violations.  This was a very closed cell, with very little outside communication.  Even if they got a tip saying "19 hijackers are going to take over these 4 flights on this date", there is not much they could have done about it.

If they had arrested them, what proof was there?  People would be screaming at "Bush The Dictator", for arresting "19 innocent people without cause".  If the flights were cancelled, they just would have done it on another date.  They carried nothing illegal with them, they did not violate any laws until they actually took over the planes.  And by then, it was to late to do anything about it.

I added the numbers.

(1 & 2) Yes, we can conculde that Clinton had whatever intelligance was available at the time, and could very well have missed a boat or 2 (or rather his advisors etc could have).  But 9/11 happened on Georgie's watch, HE was warned (according to Condie testifying to the 9/11 Commission) of an imminant threat involving commercial jets, and it still happened. As to the Cole, "fast enough"?  Obviously not, you can't win them all, buyt was it acted upon?  Jesus H Christ man, I'm no terrorist expert, but given such a warning I would have taken any number of steps (I know, I know, the president is powerless - you say that all the time).  And why do you conservatives always bring up Clinton?  This thread is about BUSH!

(3) As to FDR and Pearl Harbor, there was a congressional investigation and many studies done on just how intelligence failed.  Admiral Kimmal and General Short (Comm Pacific Fleet & Comm Hawaii) both screwed up, as did intelligance in Washington, where the Japanese diplomatic code was decifered and translated, according to Special Investigator for the Sec of War (we were honest in those days) Henry C. Clausen in Pearl Harbor, Final Judgement (1992).

(4) I am not suggesting that sorting through and analysing the tons of stuff that comes through the intelligence community is an easy task, but thats the job they  are paid for.  Let me also point out that there are allegations out there that Mohammed Atta had been identified as a terrorist and Al Quida years before 9/11.  Clinton's team may also have dropped the ball.

(5) Give me a break.  Ted Kennedy was detained, Cat Stevans was denied entry (admittedly, after 9/11), but before 9/11 I know people who were subjected to thorough searches, and even if there were know charges to bring, just keeping those 15 men off those planes would have averted trajedy, even if they went scot free, and since they were not US nationals, and some had overstayed their visas (another slip-up) they could have been deported without criminal charges. 

All this aside, and I don't propose to debate it any further, it seems to me you are too willing to overlook the potential failings of this administration, or excuse them by diverting attention to the supposed failings of Clinton - of which there were many,. but not to the point.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/16/05 at 6:32 pm

My dear H, I am quite willing to acknowlegde that you are more up on Title IX than I am, and I'm sorry if you took my comments as an affront.  That was not the intent.  Nor did I mean to suggest that you held sexist attitudes re women's sports.  My point was that overall, (gross) statistics can be misleading and that athletic directors make choices, as your Notre Dame example demonstrates.  At Castleton, (where I still teach part time) for every man's team we have a woman's team (no football) and the woman's teams often do better in our league than the men.  Nor do we at Castleton offer athletic scholarships - thank the Higher power - nor should any  school. 

What I'm suggesting is that you need to ask additional questions re how and why so many men's sports were dropped and so few woman's sports added.  The numbers are suggestive, but they are macro numbers which could very well conceal as much as they reveal.  I don't know your major, but if it in the Physical Education area you might take on a detailed analysis of thos macro numbers as a senior thesis.  After all, the devil is in the details, so there just might be a reason why so many mem's sports have been dropped and so few women's added that has to do with the intent of Title IX.

I'm not sure what you mean by Quoting coach Kocher, but it sounds like he is saying that male athletes shouldn't have to be responsible for their personal space - by implication is he saying "let tyhe cleaning lady do it"?

As I said above, I'm sure you know a good deal more than I do about title IX (although last year a student of mine wrote a term paper applauding its akcomplishments).  What I was saying is that there is much more than macro stats to be considered. 

note bene

Your response was filled with anger and indignation, as many of your responses are.  Is that really how you want to project yourself, especially as your avitar is one depiction of the "prince of peace"?  You need not assume that everyone who raises issues with you for debate and discussion is your enemy.

Don Carlos, I'm not angry here at all.  You read me all wrong.  I'm just going based off of your "study up on your facts" quote. I"m just making it absolutley positively clarified that I know a lot about Title IX.  On the same hand that those on opposing issues, I need to learn are not my enimies, you have to learn that there is a difference between clarity of getting a point across and getting pi$$ed off.

I'll write another response to this message of yours later, I'm getting ready to attend a storytelling show.  I want you to know that I'm not angry or mad here.  When we read, we add our own emotion to the words, but if you were to hear me say these words you'd here more laughter and straight to the point, than you would shouting and angry lines.

Written By: saver on 09/16/05 at 9:34 pm

If you want to take this as what Bush has done right? I would only add what I know HE has done that is favorable:

1.Inflation is LOW

2. Unemployment is LOWER than MOST of the Clinton years

3. Home ownership is at an ALL TIME HIGH

4.Tax cuts have HELPED ...even Kennedy said it has had a Benificial Impact- even the Washington Times called it 'Well timed'

YES?NO? :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/17/05 at 3:08 am

If you want to take this as what Bush has done right? I would only add what I know HE has done that is favorable:

1.Inflation is LOW

4.Tax cuts have HELPED ...even Kennedy said it has had a Benificial Impact- even the Washington Times called it 'Well timed'

NO, NO, NO, NO.  But this is the dun-rite thread so I'm not gonna rain on yer parade.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 09/17/05 at 10:47 am

He caught himself a big one!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/17/05 at 1:25 pm

NO, NO, NO, NO.  But this is the dun-rite thread so I'm not gonna rain on yer parade.

The dun-rites had a 24 hour grace period, but that has passed.  You can rebut all you want with my
blessings.  ;)

Written By: saver on 09/17/05 at 1:30 pm

No?  Meaning?

Apparently one has a problem with facts?

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/17/05 at 2:21 pm

Don Carlos, I'm not angry here at all.  You read me all wrong.  I'm just going based off of your "study up on your facts" quote. I"m just making it absolutley positively clarified that I know a lot about Title IX.  On the same hand that those on opposing issues, I need to learn are not my enimies, you have to learn that there is a difference between clarity of getting a point across and getting pi$$ed off.

I'll write another response to this message of yours later, I'm getting ready to attend a storytelling show.  I want you to know that I'm not angry or mad here.  When we read, we add our own emotion to the words, but if you were to hear me say these words you'd here more laughter and straight to the point, than you would shouting and angry lines.

I'm glad you are not upset.

I have never considered those who disagree with me as "enemies" and have always relished a good debate as both a challange and an opportunity to learn.

I rarely get "pissed off" (except at our illustrios "president") and have never been pissed off at you.

Now, frankly, I have no idea what a more detailed study of Title IX stats would show.  I only suggest that quoting macro stats, no matter how accurate they are - and I assume your's ARE accurate, can never tell the whole story.  I mat not know a lot about the impact of title IX, but I do know a good deal about statistics.  All I asked is that you probe deeper.

In fact, I look forward to you enlightening me and other readers further, since this seems to be an important issue for you.  I am willing to be educated.

I hesitate to ask, but I wonder if you are when it comes to areas where others have greater knowledge.  I sincerely hope so, putting aside those issues where we can't even agree on basic definitions.

I am not your enemy nor do I want to be.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/17/05 at 3:01 pm

note bene

I agree to a certain point with you about scholarships. Like you point out with a lot of issues, it's not black nor is it white but it is gray.  I mean take the case where a  young woman who works hard and is a good kid wants to go to school but she can't afford it.  I assume that your not against her getting to go to school on a athletic and/or academic and/or Arts and music scholarship.  Which were the original intent of scholarships.  To allow those who don't have the money to attend college in another way.  Of course like every single thing ever brought into power, someone had to go and ruin it.  I personally get sick when I see a young man working hard with school and work to go through college to earn an education, litteraly working his butt off and then you see another young man who is on a full ride scholarship to play football at a college where not only he spends his spare time not studying but drinking or doing drugs or getting into trouble but also where the administration does things secretly so they can keep him around for football.  I got a lot of respect for  the kids who are on scholarship to get an education. Yes I love wrestling, and I can only pray that all athletes on scholarship love doing the sport they are in, but ultimately they're there to get an education. Sports is just the extra privilage that goes along with it.

My major believe it or not happens to be Theatre.  As far as why so many men's teams dropped to so few women's teams added. It a lot of the time comes down to not enough money.  Unlike Notre Dame a lot of colleges have to drop a men's sport because they don't have enough money to keep up with Title IX's proportionality, to add a woman's sport.  Then what's even sadder is when they have plenty of money but can't force a girl to take free money and a free education to play a sport, so instead they go up to a young man and tell him to give up something that he loves to do.

lol, you took that quote from coach kocher so wrong.  What the world means by making men clean out there locker is, that Title IX is telling them, "you can't ever put a glove on again, we're taking baseball away from you forever"  Or "Hang up your swimming trunks, you'll never wear them again".  It's an expression that word for word pretty much means "You can't do this ever again".  Which of course means on the college level.  If a school drops there men's swimming program, he still has the ability to go down to the river hop in and swim. He just can no longer be a varsity college swimmer, Title IX took that way from him.    Now granted at certain levels of education if a school drops a sports team a student can transfer.  But think about Juniors and seniors.  A university drops baseball before a young man's senior year.  Do you know that if he wants to play baseball his senior year he has to transfer over to another college.  Sit out his offical senior year, then pay for an extra year of schooling so he can play baseball?  I've seen this happen to wrestlers many times.  Aaron Holker entered college in 1998 at Brigham Young University. He was on a wrestling scholarship and redshirted that year.  So technicality say's his graduation would have been in 2001, and his last year of wrestling would have been in 2002.  He ended up transfering to Iowa State after Brigham Young dropped it's wrestling program and had to sit out a year and wasn't able to get out of college until 2003.

I take everything into consideration with Title IX.  What I do know is that at one time in this country there were close to 700 collegiate Wrestling teams, Title IX came about in 1972, and today there are about 360. That's way to big of a drop and if people like me and Billy Baldwin keep our mouths shut when I'm 50 there won't be a college wrestling team left in the nation.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/20/05 at 3:27 pm

I DO support academic scholarships, and evan athletic ones, as long as the recipiant gets passing grades.  I do not support the exploitation of young people or the degfradation  of a college degree in order to enhance a school's sports program.  Athletics (sports) are suppose to be fun - playing - and should not be used (abused?) to make $$$.  And I do believe that women should get an equal shot at the resources needed to sustain athletic programs.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/20/05 at 4:40 pm

I DO support academic scholarships, and evan athletic ones, as long as the recipiant gets passing grades.  I do not support the exploitation of young people or the degfradation  of a college degree in order to enhance a school's sports program.  Athletics (sports) are suppose to be fun - playing - and should not be used (abused?) to make $$$.  And I do believe that women should get an equal shot at the resources needed to sustain athletic programs.

Agreed on all points.  Title IX, however is not making them equal....it's turning them around.

Written By: EthanM on 09/20/05 at 4:53 pm

I don't know much about this, but it's probably fairly rare that a major sport such as baseball is cut because of title 9. But when that happens, and a student has a legitimate shot at a scholarship, wouldn't it be possible in many cases for the student to transfer to a nearby school that still has baseball or swimming or wrestling or whatever. Unfortunately, there may be some cases where the family cannot relocate and the kid is cheated out of a dream, but it is probably an infintessimal number compared to the amount of young women who would be deprived of scholarships if their schools had a green light to sacrifice women's sports in order to increase funding for the men's programs.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/20/05 at 7:14 pm

I don't know much about this, but it's probably fairly rare that a major sport such as baseball is cut because of title 9. But when that happens, and a student has a legitimate shot at a scholarship, wouldn't it be possible in many cases for the student to transfer to a nearby school that still has baseball or swimming or wrestling or whatever. Unfortunately, there may be some cases where the family cannot relocate and the kid is cheated out of a dream, but it is probably an infintessimal number compared to the amount of <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=young%20women" onmouseover="window.status='young women'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">young women</a> who would be deprived of scholarships if their schools had a green light to sacrifice women's sports in order to increase funding for the men's programs.

Iowa State University is a Division I program that dropped it's men's Baseball and Soccer team in order to be witin Title IX's porportionality quota.  Title IX came into effect for that exact reason.  Stupidly years ago athletic directors as well as the universities themselves believed that they could ax womens' athletics inorder to bring more money towards football and men's basketball.  That's when Title IX stepped in.  However today Title IX doesn't take into consideration, you can't do with what you don't have.  You don't have women interested in playing softball, you can't have a softball team.

The day is coming, 30 to 40 years from now, when we're gonna start seeing schools with 7 women's sports and 4 men's sports start cutting womens teams in order to stay in porportionality with Title IX.  Title IX could very well either eliminate all men's sports to the point where only football and basketball are optional at the DI, DII and NAIA level.

It's one thing I respect about all DIII schools and there athletes whether it be male or female...NO scholarship.

Written By: EthanM on 09/20/05 at 7:55 pm

What does this have to do with what Bush did right anyway? We seem to have drifted far off topic.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/20/05 at 10:11 pm

What does this have to do with what Bush did right anyway? We seem to have drifted far off topic.

"The Bush Administration had proposed to take steps to reinterpret Title IX. It was to be simple. The Bush Administration would just reinterpret Title IX so therefore it’s compliance's would not be based on that of proportionality."

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/21/05 at 3:55 pm

"The Bush Administration had proposed to take steps to reinterpret Title IX. It was to be simple. The Bush Administration would just reinterpret Title IX so therefore it’s compliance's would not be based on that of proportionality."

He's right, the title 9 stuff started as one of the things I thinks Bush has done right, but it has mushroomed a bit and probably should have its own thread.

There have actually been very few other responses.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/22/05 at 10:00 am

1.Inflation is LOW

No, because it was Bush that did the tax cuts.

When Kennedy did tax cuts to stimulate growth, it was good.  When Bush does the same thing, it is bad.

And we pulled out of the recession we were in when they were given.  Notice how that is forgotten.  The cuts helped to stimulate spending, and create new jobs.  But when it comes to partaisan politics, that does not matter.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/22/05 at 2:55 pm

No, because it was Bush that did the tax cuts.

When Kennedy did tax cuts to stimulate growth, it was good.  When Bush does the same thing, it is bad.

And we pulled out of the recession we were in when they were given.  Notice how that is forgotten.  The cuts helped to stimulate spending, and create new jobs.  But when it comes to partaisan politics, that does not matter.

The tax cuts (I never saw one, in fact my taxes, across the board went up, but not my income) wipped away what Alan Greenspan called a budget surplus and turned it into the laregest budget deficit in history (my grand daughters thank Lil' Georgie for mortgaging their futures).  And by the way, China holds most of the notes.  Sounds right to me.

Written By: saver on 09/22/05 at 3:29 pm

That  list was, what I guess, is what GOOD Bush has done..(not sure if Mushroom agreed?)

The numbers from his cuts and help etc. all read GOOD for the topic. 

Written By: danootaandme on 09/22/05 at 5:38 pm

That  list was, what I guess, is what GOOD Bush has done..(not sure if Mushroom agreed?)

The numbers from his cuts and help etc. all read GOOD for the toipic. 

???  what?

Written By: saver on 09/22/05 at 8:10 pm

I was commenting on Mushrooms comment- uncertain if Mushroom was saying it was good or right what Bush did with the tax cuts. ..Mushrooms answer just listed the comparison between Bush and Kennedy.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/23/05 at 10:46 am

I was commenting on Mushrooms comment- uncertain if Mushroom was saying it was good or right what Bush did with the tax cuts. ..Mushrooms answer just listed the comparison between Bush and Kennedy.

I was replying sarcastically.

You see, to some people tax cuts are only good when they are recommended by Democrats (like Kennedy).  When recommended by Republicans (like Reagan or Bush), they are seen as evil ways to give money to the rich and take it away from the poor.

I know that I am "poor", and I got both a tax break and a larger refund.  If their tax went up, I would question how "poor" they are.  And if their taxes went up, then how could they expect people who make even more to have gotten a break.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/23/05 at 11:20 am

Well, but it doesn't make too much sense to just talk about 'tax cuts', liek there all the same, and that they have the same affect in every situation.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/23/05 at 3:23 pm

I was replying sarcastically.

You see, to some people tax cuts are only good when they are recommended by Democrats (like Kennedy).  When recommended by Republicans (like Reagan or Bush), they are seen as evil ways to give money to the rich and take it away from the poor.

I know that I am "poor", and I got both a tax break and a larger refund.  If their tax went up, I would question how "poor" they are.  And if their taxes went up, then how could they expect people who make even more to have gotten a break.

Tax cuts for working and middle class people = good.

Tax cuts for mulit-millionairs = bad.

My decidedly middle class income tax (state and fed) AND my property tax went up.  The last because Fed subsidies went down.  The devil is in the details.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/05 at 9:26 pm

What has he done right?

He's left no doubt that he is a terrible president.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/24/05 at 9:22 am

I will tell ya what he has done right: He is staying away from the area where Rita is hitting because he doesn't want to "get in the way". The first thing he seem have done right.

Cat

Written By: saver on 09/24/05 at 6:11 pm

Is that so good? Next we'll hear how he didn't help his own people/state and he is so preoccupied with raising oil prices through his connections because the storm damaged his local refineries??

The latest prattle, ...has anyone heard...is the government is secretly warming the waters with lasers to direct the hurricanes to the oil refineries, so they will jump the price of gas and he could then declare martial law!

Based on how the last hurricane made a 90 degree turn which was unheard of.

I thought it was nonsense as soemone,someplace would detect a laser aimed at warming waters to fuel the thing that is so massive, it would be like trying to pee in the Mississippi to make it change directions!

But apparently, someone is watching the paths closerso they can claim the govmnt. is DOING SOMETHING SUSPICIOUS??? :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/05 at 8:26 pm

I will tell ya what he has done right: He is staying away from the area where Rita is hitting because he doesn't want to "get in the way". The first thing he seem have done right.

Cat

I woulda loved to see Bush v. Rita!
;)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/05 at 7:48 am

I woulda loved to see Bush v. Rita!
;)

bush..what my dad would call a rough tough cream puff... Wonder what he is gonna do with himself when
he isn't President anymore and rove and company drop him like a hot potato and move on to the next
politcally expedient positon.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/25/05 at 8:02 am

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/26/05 at 4:35 pm

This about sums it up.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/05 at 6:49 pm

Of course!  How ever did I overlook that?

Written By: saver on 09/26/05 at 7:01 pm

Without voting for him, I still pay attention to the data and named a few things which SOME seem to want more of or since it hasn't helped them any look to refute it...se le vie..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/05 at 7:02 pm

Without voting for him, I still pay attention to the data and named a few things which SOME seem to want more of or since it hasn't helped them any look to refute it...se le vie..

se what?

Written By: saver on 09/26/05 at 8:01 pm

1.Inflation is LOW

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/26/05 at 8:39 pm

Pros:

1. Tax cuts
2. Post 9/11
3. Refusing to sign Kyoto
4. Withdrawing the U.S. from the international criminal court
5. Supporting gun rights
6. Fighting an increase of the minimum wage (I'd support one if not for "free" trade)
7. Conservative judicial appointments
8. Afghanistan
9. John R. Bolton and other good non-judicial appointments
10. Social conservatism on issues like same-sex marriage and abortion

Cons:

1. Spending like a drunken sailor
2. Fighting Iraq like Vietnam (we have an air force, Mr. Bush)
3. Pushing a guest-worker amnesty immigration bill
4. Acting buddy-buddy with the United Nations
5. CAFTA and unrestricted free trade with nations like China
6. Still following Nixon's "one-China" policy
7. Acting buddy-buddy with phony friends like Germany and Canada
8. Saying garbage like "jobs Americans won't do" and "Islam is a religion of peace."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/05 at 12:40 am

Pros:

1. Tax cuts

Deficitis higher than the moon!

2. Post 9/11
An excuse to attack Iraq for oil.  See also, My Pet Goat.
3. Refusing to sign Kyoto
I wouldn't support Kyoto either, doesn't go far enough!
4. Withdrawing the U.S. from the international criminal court
Yeah, you got a problem widdat?  Huh? Whatchoo gonna do 'bout it?
5. Supporting gun rights
Wait, I'm still looking for my NRA factsheet about how the homicide rate will rise if we institute more gun control...
6. Fighting an increase of the minimum wage (I'd support one if not for "free" trade)
Well, yeah, Dubya and the boys don't think there should be a minimum wage in the first place!
7. Conservative judicial appointments
Oh, you mean those reactionary nutjobs in black robes.
8. Afghanistan
The CIA set up the Taliban, the military knocked 'em down.  Sound foreign policy.  Kinda like bowling.
9. John R. Bolton and other good non-judicial appointments
Huh?  The sadistical sex maniac with the Yosemite Sam moustache?
10. Social conservatism on issues like same-sex marriage and abortion
Don't forget social conservatism on childhood healthcare and nutrition.  Dubya goes all the way back to Victorian times!

Cons:

1. Spending like a drunken sailor

At least he's not sinking billions into an unwinnable war!
2. Fighting Iraq like Vietnam (we have an air force, Mr. Bush)
Yeah, let's do saturation bombing!  That's what led to our astounding victory in Indochina!
3. Pushing a guest-worker amnesty immigration bill
OK, your five years are up.  You burros go home now!
4. Acting buddy-buddy with the United Nations
If Dubya had his way, John Bolton would be U.N. ambassador....uhhh....
5. CAFTA and unrestricted free trade with nations like China
Ever try to say "NO" to Wal-Mart?
6. Still following Nixon's "one-China" policy
I'm no Maoist, but Chiang Kai Shek lost, dude.  Sorry.   Funny thing was, they didn't say at the outset who should rule that "one China."  Talk about your Nixonian brinkmanship!
7. Acting buddy-buddy with phony friends like Germany and Canada
Well WTF do you want us to do?  Bomb them into the stone ages 'coz they don't agree with every single thing the Bush administration gets up to?
8. Saying garbage like "jobs Americans won't do" and "Islam is a religion of peace."
Indeed!  I say replace unemployment benefits with the mandatory labor in the fields and toilets for sub-minimum wage, and let's make Franklin Graham Secretary of State while we're at it!
  :P

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/28/05 at 3:24 pm

Deficitis higher than the moon!
An excuse to attack Iraq for oil.  See also, My Pet Goat.I wouldn't support Kyoto either, doesn't go far enough!Yeah, you got a problem widdat?  Huh? Whatchoo gonna do 'bout it?Wait, I'm still looking for my NRA factsheet about how the homicide rate will rise if we institute more gun control...Well, yeah, Dubya and the boys don't think there should be a minimum wage in the first place!Oh, you mean those reactionary nutjobs in black robes.The CIA set up the Taliban, the military knocked 'em down.  Sound foreign policy.  Kinda like bowling.Huh?  The sadistical sex maniac with the Yosemite Sam moustache?Don't forget social conservatism on childhood healthcare and nutrition.  Dubya goes all the way back to Victorian times!
At least he's not sinking billions into an unwinnable war!Yeah, let's do saturation bombing!  That's what led to our astounding victory in Indochina!OK, your five years are up.  You burros go home now!If Dubya had his way, John Bolton would be U.N. ambassador....uhhh....Ever try to say "NO" to Wal-Mart?I'm no Maoist, but Chiang Kai Shek lost, dude.  Sorry.  Funny thing was, they didn't say at the outset who should rule that "one China."  Talk about your Nixonian brinkmanship!Well WTF do you want us to do?  Bomb them into the stone ages 'coz they don't agree with every single thing the Bush administration gets up to?Indeed!  I say replace unemployment benefits with the mandatory labor in the fields and toilets for sub-minimum wage, and let's make Franklin Graham Secretary of State while we're at it!
  :P

Thanks, Max, for saving me the trouble.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/05 at 3:46 pm

Thanks, Max, for saving me the trouble.

Jeez, I don't know if it was even WORTH the trouble!
::)

Written By: saver on 09/28/05 at 4:01 pm

Aside from the tax cuts...Sean Hannity added when asked: Bush has helped more poor people in his terms of office (than anyone).

So there is another for your collection.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/05 at 5:11 pm

Aside from the tax cuts...Sean Hannity added when asked: Bush has helped more poor people in his terms of office (than anyone).

Smoke and mirrors and well-chosen statistics will prove you can fly a cast iron stove to the moon. 

Who are you gonna believe, Sean Hannity or your lying eyes?
:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/28/05 at 6:30 pm

What happened to putting a man on Mars? We could always start with Dubya and leave him there.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/05 at 6:38 pm

What happened to putting a man on Mars? We could always start with Dubya and leave him there.

Cat

We should send him to Jupiter to get more stupider!
:D

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/29/05 at 3:03 pm

Helped them how?  Into an even earlier grave?  Gee, thanks.

Written By: McDonald on 09/29/05 at 3:05 pm

Those phony Canadians and Germans... I suppose they should just call home their phony soldiers of theirs working in Afghanistan right now... AND I guess those people in Biloxi who are being helped by Canadian peace officers as we speak ought to say "f*ck you" and send them packing, all the way back to Canada.

::) douche-bag

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/29/05 at 3:10 pm

Jeez, I don't know if it was even WORTH the trouble!
::)

Thats why I didn't do it!  Just about every Bush supporter I have ever met is a quasi-religious fanatic unwilling to see the evil that person represents, and duped into believing that the bad is good.  I would love to be able to point to one thing, just one thing that he has done that was good for this country.  Because I can't I am called a Bush hater.  I am not - he is too small to deserve my hatred.

Written By: limblifter on 09/29/05 at 4:56 pm

Those phony Canadians and Germans... I suppose they should just call home their phony soldiers of theirs working in Afghanistan right now... AND I guess those people in Biloxi who are being helped by Canadian peace officers as we speak ought to say "f*ck you" and send them packing, all the way back to Canada.

I was thinking the exact same thing! I love how dinks like this will b!tch and moan about not getting any help from the international community, and then in the same breath insult them, and stab them in the back!

::) douche-bag

I second that!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/05 at 5:07 pm

When are we gonna get a Maximum Wage Bill?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/05 at 6:18 pm

When are we gonna get a Maximum Wage Bill?

Probably when Hell freezes over.

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 09/29/05 at 6:46 pm

This topic should be changed to "What can Bush do Right"

Two possible answers

1. Nothing

2. Go against everything that he believes and stands for....become a liberal in other words.

Written By: limblifter on 09/30/05 at 3:51 pm

This topic should be changed to "What can Bush do Right"

Two possible answers

1. Nothing

2. Go against everything that he believes and stands for....become a liberal in other words.

Finally!! Someone is making some sense around here! :D

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/30/05 at 4:00 pm

Finally!! Someone is making some sense around here! :D

You mean "making nonsense".  Unfortunately Lil' Georgie has done lots of stuff that has been destructive.  Had he done nothing, I would be applauding him.  What he has done is torpedo the economy, sink the middle class, render government ineffective (even at fighting terrorism) and sabotaged our civil rights.  Thanks Georgie.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/30/05 at 5:55 pm

You mean "making nonsense".  Unfortunately Lil' Georgie has done lots of stuff that has been destructive.  Had he done nothing, I would be applauding him.  What he has done is torpedo the economy, sink the middle class, render government ineffective (even at fighting terrorism) and sabotaged our civil rights.  Thanks Georgie.

Sit around and do nothing, now that's the spirit that an citizen should have for his President.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/05 at 9:30 am

Sit around and do nothing, now that's the spirit that an citizen should have for his President.

Well, there is doing things that are worthwhile, doing nothing, and doing harm. 

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/05 at 11:21 am

So doing nothing about 9/11 would have been a smarter choice?

Doing nothing about the anthrax scare would have been brilliant?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/05 at 3:40 pm

No he could have done something, he could have done nothing, or he could have done harm. I think
during 9/11 rove did some brilliant public relations work.  During the anthrax scare there were mixed results, but it wasn't bush it was the CDC, and the media.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/01/05 at 3:47 pm

"We'll get Osama dead or alive" he said, but where is he, hiding in Iraq?  No, he's hiding in Afganistan.  I guess Lil' Georgie is still reading about goats.

And who was indicted for the anthrax scare?

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/05 at 3:56 pm

"We'll get Osama dead or alive" he said, but where is he, hiding in Iraq?  No, he's hiding in Afganistan.  I guess Lil' Georgie is still reading about goats.

And who was indicted for the anthrax scare?

I agree with the fault of George not going after Osama in Afganistan, but the original intention is what I'm talking about. I'm saying that, "get Osama dead or alive" was a good thing to be said. Unfortunately it was not followed through, but the idea was good.  A lot better than, "Oh, well let's drop it and hope Osama doesn't have any more ideas."  Which is doing NOTHING.

The same person that was indicted for the Zodiac Murders back in the late 60's-70's ...in other words no one, cause they never caught who was doing it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/01/05 at 4:20 pm

I agree with the fault of George not going after Osama in Afganistan, but the original intention is what I'm talking about. I'm saying that, "get Osama dead or alive" was a good thing to be said. Unfortunately it was not followed through, but the idea was good.  A lot better than, "Oh, well let's drop it and hope Osama doesn't have any more ideas."  Which is doing NOTHING.

The same person that was indicted for the Zodiac Murders back in the late 60's-70's ...in other words no one, cause they never caught who was doing it.

On another thread didn't you talk about "walking the walk"?  Seems what you're saying is that just "talking the talk" is good enough for Lil' Georgie.  You seem to have rather low expectations.

Oh, and by the way, I did acknowledge that you know more about the macro statistics of Title IX than I do, but having passed (with flying colors) several graduate courses in statistics I simply suggested that macro statistics are often misleading.  See my latest comments on the Bill Bennet thread.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/05 at 5:28 pm

On another thread didn't you talk about "walking the walk"?  Seems what you're saying is that just "talking the talk" is good enough for Lil' Georgie.  You seem to have rather low expectations.

Oh, and by the way, I did acknowledge that you know more about the macro statistics of Title IX than I do, but having passed (with flying colors) several graduate courses in statistics I simply suggested that macro statistics are often misleading.  See my latest comments on the Bill Bennet thread.

No George's JUST talking the talk is not good enough for me, and on that matter I'm very dissapointed with him.  However, I think it still better to know that he at least THOUGHT about doing the right thing.

Macro stat's are often misleading I don't doubt that at all, but the stats say 395 wrestling teams since 1972 have been dropped, and I can name you 395 wrestling teams that have been dropped.  If  I couldn't match up the numbers I'd see what you are saying, but I can, there fore they're not so misleading.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/01/05 at 7:19 pm

There  is also dropping the ball when dealing with disasters such as Hurricane Katrina...I think George W. , FEMA, and New Orleans mayor Roy Nagin dropped the ball on that one!! Yeah, Mr. Bush was out fishin' and Nagin was acting totally stupid when Katrina hit the Big Easy...and FEMA messed up too...

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 5:25 pm

No George's JUST talking the talk is not good enough for me, and on that matter I'm very dissapointed with him.  However, I think it still better to know that he at least THOUGHT about doing the right thing.

Macro stat's are often misleading I don't doubt that at all, but the stats say 395 wrestling teams since 1972 have been dropped, and I can name you 395 wrestling teams that have been dropped.  If  I couldn't match up the numbers I'd see what you are saying, but I can, there fore they're not so misleading.

And who wouldn't have thought about doing yhe right thing?  Every "liberal" and evan leftist that I know wanted Osama's butt tied to a pillar with 40 loaded rifles aimed at his heart, and so to for the rest of Al Quida.  Thinking about doiing the right thing and actually doing it are 2 different things.  I guess it was easier to read about goats.

Still you stick to the macro statistics.  You need to go deeper.  I'm not in any way questioning the accuracy of the stats you quote.  My point is that you need to delve deeper to ascertaine their meaning.  Again, I refer you to my comments on the Bill Bennet thread re The Bell Curve.  Let me add that I'm NOT saying you are wrong, just that your macro stats don't convince.  Oh, and another though, how has the  funding of woman's sports faird as a result of title XI?

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 6:00 pm

And who wouldn't have thought about doing yhe right thing?  Every "liberal" and evan leftist that I know wanted Osama's butt tied to a pillar with 40 loaded rifles aimed at his heart, and so to for the rest of Al Quida.  Thinking about doiing the right thing and actually doing it are 2 different things.  I guess it was easier to read about goats.

Still you stick to the macro statistics.  You need to go deeper.  I'm not in any way questioning the accuracy of the stats you quote.  My point is that you need to delve deeper to ascertaine their meaning.  Again, I refer you to my comments on the Bill Bennet thread re The Bell Curve.  Let me add that I'm NOT saying you are wrong, just that your macro stats don't convince.  Oh, and another though, how has the  funding of woman's sports faird as a result of title XI?

I've heard liberal lefties say that they think we should just "ignore" terrorist threats because the right thing to do is convince the terrorist that we are not afraid, and by doing that it tells the terrorist that we aren't scared and they'll stop there acts.

Women's sports funding has gone up tremendously since 1972.  Scholarships for them have increased damn near 100%.  However, in the last 15 years the % of colleges dropping a men's sport and adding a women's sport have decreased dramatically and the % of colleges dropping a men's sport and not adding a women's sport as increased unbelievably.  There is some justification in dropping the men's soccer team, IF they add the women's field hockey team.  But dropping men's golf when no women's team is going to be added is helping?

The results are in and there are as many female walk on athletes as there are black rhinos and about as many male walk on athletes as there are common house flys.  Female walk on athletes just plain and simple are extremely rare, either they have a scholarship or they don't play.  Male athletes on the other hand, with or without scholarship are going out for the teams. 

Proportionality, just does not work.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/02/05 at 8:00 pm

>:(  four words..Not a d@mn thing!    :P

First off HE STEALS THE PRESIDENCY(too bad no one caught him like Nixon got caught,serves 'em both right!)

He LIES HIS A$$ OFF about WMD(Weapons of mass destruction)in Iraq..

He gets us into a totally useless war in Iraq...yes we nabbed Saddam but ol' Georgie did not want to stop at that..he wanted everything HIS way like some spoiled rich brat..

He swears he'll nab Bin Laden and "deal with him"..where's Osama? Still ordering terror in places like Iraq and Bali!!

And he lets EVERYONE on the Gulf Coast down by convienently being on a fishing vacation while Hurricane Katrina ravages Mississippi AND Louisiana(especially New Orleans that jerk Nagin is just as much to blame for that mess!!)

What a wonderful leader we have...YEAH RIGHT. He's screwing up this country BIGTIME.  >:(

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 8:22 pm

>:(   four words..Not a d@mn thing!    :P

First off HE STEALS THE PRESIDENCY(too bad no one caught him like Nixon got caught,serves 'em both right!)

He LIES HIS A$$ OFF about WMD(Weapons of mass destruction)in Iraq..

He gets us into a totally useless war in Iraq...yes we nabbed Saddam but ol' Georgie did not want to stop at that..he wanted everything HIS way like some spoiled rich brat..

He swears he'll nab Bin Laden and "deal with him"..where's Osama? Still ordering terror in places like Iraq and Bali!!

And he lets EVERYONE on the Gulf Coast down by convienently being on a fishing vacation while Hurricane Katrina ravages Mississippi AND Louisiana(especially New Orleans that jerk Nagin is just as much to blame for that mess!!)

What a wonderful leader we have...YEAH RIGHT. He's screwing up this country BIGTIME.  >:(

Where is the proof that Watergate is happening again?

Was he lying or did he truly believe to find out he was dead wrong?

Hey, even I the lone ranger on the other side can't say much to argue here, although I'll never give in to the point where it's a down right insult to troops.

Bin Ladin  needs to be caught, it's not exactly easy, but it'd be eaiser, not said and done, but easier if Bush would make it a bigger priority.

Please tell me what John Kerry would be doing right. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/03/05 at 3:00 pm

I've heard liberal lefties say that they think we should just "ignore" terrorist threats because the right thing to do is convince the terrorist that we are not afraid, and by doing that it tells the terrorist that we aren't scared and they'll stop there acts.

You may have heard "liberal lefties" say exactly that, or you may have over simplified their meaning.  A purely military response will never end terrorism, not even in the short term.  Just as crime increases and decreases as the poverty rate rises and falls (one might conclude that the poverty rate at least in part drives the crime rate and is a root cause) one has to attack the root causes of terrorism.  I have seen very little of that, unless you include that condescending woman Georgie sent to Saudi Arabia, who alienated the women she met with.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 4:44 pm

You may have heard "liberal lefties" say exactly that, or you may have over simplified their meaning.  A purely military response will never end terrorism, not even in the short term.  Just as crime increases and decreases as the poverty rate rises and falls (one might conclude that the poverty rate at least in part drives the crime rate and is a root cause) one has to attack the root causes of terrorism.  I have seen very little of that, unless you include that condescending woman Georgie sent to Saudi Arabia, who alienated the women she met with.

You never find absolute truth though. One of the most liberal people of our time John Roberston believes truth is relevant.  Finding absolute according to him, and the liberals who followed him, is not feasible.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/04/05 at 12:59 pm

You never find absolute truth though. One of the most liberal people of our time John Roberston believes truth is relevant.  Finding absolute according to him, and the liberals who followed him, is not feasible.

? ? ? ?

My post talked about "root causes", not "absolute truth".  I would have to agree with Robertson (whoever he is).  There is a differance between "truth" and "fact".  It is a fact that I am typing this on a standard keyboard attaced to a Dell computer.  Truth is the meaning you give (or I ggive) to the facts, and thus will most likely be different for each person.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/04/05 at 4:44 pm

? ? ? ?

My post talked about "root causes", not "absolute truth".  I would have to agree with Robertson (whoever he is).  There is a differance between "truth" and "fact".  It is a fact that I am typing this on a standard keyboard attaced to a Dell computer.  Truth is the meaning you give (or I ggive) to the facts, and thus will most likely be different for each person.

Well the root of something, especially philosophical or idealic is usually from the mind of another person.  Exactly how the mind can be right or wrong with no question is beyond me, unless the mind is Jesus Christ.  But that' sme. 

Facts aren't always as they seem either.  I know, cause I've read German history books about WWII and American History Books on WWII.  Same event, different story.

John Robertson wrote a few books, brilliant man, I don't care for him, don't hate the man, but his cons are sickening.  He also wrote columns for a college somewhere as well, and I believe he taught somewhere as well.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/04/05 at 7:45 pm

Where is the proof that Watergate is happening again?

Was he lying or did he truly believe to find out he was dead wrong?

Hey, even I the lone ranger on the other side can't say much to argue here, although I'll never give in to the point where it's a down right insult to troops.

Bin Ladin needs to be caught, it's not exactly easy, but it'd be eaiser, not said and done, but easier if Bush would make it a bigger priority.

Please tell me what John Kerry would be doing right.

Even though I'm a Democrat I don't trust John Kerry either.....

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/04/05 at 7:52 pm

What really gets my goat is that Georgie W. conviently stayed 'on vacation' while Hurricane Katrina ravaged Mississippi and Louisiana...when he should have been at the White House mobilizing everything and everyone needed to deal with the disaster.

But I will never excuse The Big Easy's dumba$$ mayor Roy Nagin for not ordering MANDATORY evacuations when he first knew that Katrina was heading somewhere near Louisiana..and he could have gotten buses in the area to transport the city's residents,rich,middle-class and poor, to safe havens.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/04/05 at 7:55 pm

As I said before, here comes Big Brother-type government, courtesy of the Republican Party..Until Democrats develop a BACKBONE and stand up to the GOP rather than let the GOPpies intimidate them!

Written By: Harmonica on 10/04/05 at 8:08 pm

What really gets my goat is that Georgie W. conviently stayed 'on vacation' while Hurricane Katrina ravaged Mississippi and Louisiana...when he should have been at the White House mobilizing everything and everyone needed to deal with the disaster.

But I will never excuse The Big Easy's dumba$$ mayor Roy Nagin for not ordering MANDATORY evacuations when he first knew that Katrina was heading somewhere near Louisiana..and he could have gotten buses in the area to transport the city's residents,rich,middle-class and poor, to safe havens.

Mayor Nagin's decision really confused the heck outta me.  Maybe he truly believed it wasn't going to be as bad as what it turned out to be, but he was warned by some top notch of the art people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/05 at 9:04 pm

Mayor Nagin's decision really confused the heck outta me.  Maybe he truly believed it wasn't going to be as bad as what it turned out to be, but he was warned by some top notch of the art people.

It seems to me the state and federal governments botched it worse than the city government.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/05 at 11:06 am

Even though I'm a Democrat I don't trust John Kerry either.....

The only reason why I voted for Kerry was because he was "anyone but Bush" which not saying a lot.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/05/05 at 4:17 pm

As I said before, here comes Big Brother-type government, courtesy of the Republican Party..Until Democrats develop a BACKBONE and stand up to the GOP rather than let the GOPpies intimidate them!

This is such a facile post that it almost defies response.  First off, the repug party isn't going to expand the Fed Gov.  Their goal is to starve it to death.  That means so much that I'm not going to bother much to elaborate, but just say good by to medicade, medicare, and social security, not to mention aid to education, and a host of other federal programs.  And you know, maybe we liberals and leftists should say "bring it on", just stop taking $1.75 in taxes from every $$$ returned to the blue states for evey $1.00 we get back, and stop lavishing fed $$$ on all those highly subsidised, higher divorce rate, higher teen pregnancy and unwed mother red states, which are suppose to be the bastions of self sufficiance and family values.  Self sufficiance and family values my back side.  Rather, leaches, pedophiles, and adultorers.  The stats, available to all, demonstrate it.  That may be why there are more porn shops on Rt 44 in MO than any other highway between LA and VT.

Written By: annonymouse on 10/07/05 at 7:40 pm

yeah, hes done all we can expect from him, but i dont expect much from him!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/05 at 11:30 pm

He nominated Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court.  It may not be "right," but it sure is funny to watch!
;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/10/05 at 2:46 pm

He nominated Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court.  It may not be "right," but it sure is funny to watch!
;D

Well... could be strategy.  She goes down and then...Tom DeLay?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/05 at 3:21 pm

Well... could be strategy.  She goes down and then...Tom DeLay?

DeLay for Supreme Court justice?
:o

One DeLay anectdote has it that DeLay was asked by the waiter at a swanky restaurant to put out his cigar because smoking violated state law.  DeLay shot back:
I am the federal government!

He is the federal government.  So much for states' rights there, Tommy Boy!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/18/05 at 10:04 pm

DeLay for Supreme Court justice?
:o

One DeLay anectdote has it that DeLay was asked by the waiter at a swanky restaurant to put out his cigar because smoking violated state law.  DeLay shot back:
I am the federal government!

He is the federal government.  So much for states' rights there, Tommy Boy!
Tom DeLay is just one prime example of how pompous and power-mad the conservatives in the White House, Cabinet, and Congress are!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/18/05 at 10:11 pm

It seems to me the state and federal governments botched it worse than the city government.
Yeah, but Nagin screwed up too..he KNEW Katrina was coming..he did NOT let his citizens know that there was FREE transportation via Amtrak for evacuation purposes....and had no backup plan for when the levees broke and the city's water supply as well as other necessities took a massive hit...Nagin is NOT blame-free. He IS truly incompetent if he did not give his city's residents information that could have saved countless numbers of human lives!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/05 at 11:27 pm

Yeah, but Nagin screwed up too..he KNEW Katrina was coming..he did NOT let his citizens know that there was FREE transportation via Amtrak for evacuation purposes....and had no backup plan for when the levees broke and the city's water supply as well as other necessities took a massive hit...Nagin is NOT blame-free. He IS truly incompetent if he did not give his city's residents information that could have saved countless numbers of human lives!

Did I say Nagin was "blame-free"?  And isn't all this Katrina-related blame getting tiresome right about now?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/19/05 at 3:53 pm

Did I say Nagin was "blame-free"?  And isn't all this Katrina-related blame getting tiresome right about now?

Yes, it is, but... Chertoff, in his testimony today, aknowledged that FEMS's ability to respond quickly and effeciently to disasters was less than we should expect, and vowed improvements.  I'll wait and see.  "Wilma" is on the way.

Check for new replies or respond here...