» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: "Whites Only" alive and well in Alabama

Written By: STAR70 on 09/15/05 at 6:32 pm

http://steveaudio.blogspot.com/2005/09/sweet-home-alabama.html

Subject: Re: "Whites Only" alive and well in Alabama

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/05 at 9:38 pm

That's nothing.  My favorite breakfast nook up here in Northampton, Mass., has a "whites only" omlet!
;D

I reply with a joke because I could only imagine what I just read in that link must be a joke.  Yeah, we in the liberal Northeast have our prejudices against the deep south, like "Oh, northern Alabama, they prolly still have Whites Only johns down there!"  But we don't really believe that in hearts.  Not after two generations of civil rights legislation.  No way!

What is it about social injustice and chicken anyway?  Remember in the early '90s there was the fire in that chicken plucking plant, I think it was Kentucky, where dozens of workers died because the doors were locked from the inside?  The management didn't want the workers to steal no chickens!  And I thought, "what is this 1905 sweatshop labor?"
:o >:(

Written By: ADH13 on 09/16/05 at 2:07 am

I read something last year which I will have to search for again.. that somewhere in Alabama (or Tennessee, not sure which) they wanted to have segregated proms.  And both the blacks and the whites supported this idea, mainly because their taste in music is different.  I'm not sure if it actually happened or not... does anyone else remember this, or know what ever came of it?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/16/05 at 12:25 pm

^ they actually held the proms, unfortunately.

Sorry but I'm not surprised. Honestly, I do not what it will take from them to think otherwise.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/16/05 at 2:55 pm

I did some more research, and it seems to me that this is more an issue with one facility, then a problem with Tyson as a whole.

The other articles I read described the sign as "tacked up", saying that it had come from other employees.  And there are a lot of other charges, all of them dealing with harassment from employees.

I hope that the management of that facility are all fired, for allowing things like that to happen.  And anybody who participated in such actions should also be immediately terminated.

And Tyson actually has a surprising supporter in this:  The Reverend Al Sharpton!

http://www.frostillustrated.com/news/2005/0907/Front_Page/004.html

According to Sharpton, this is 1 facility of over 300 that the corporation owns.  He is willing to see how Tyson deals with it before he makes any comments.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/16/05 at 3:04 pm

Did they really not allow black people to go to the white prom and vice versa?  I'm surprised the music was that big a deal anyways.  It seems like a lot of white kids listen to black-type music these days.  A lot of young white singers sound like there trying to sound black.

I was wrong about the state.  It's actually in Georgia.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/may03/140734.asp

Written By: danootaandme on 09/16/05 at 3:09 pm

Did they really not allow black people to go to the white prom and vice versa?  I'm surprised the music was that big a deal anyways.  It seems like a lot of white kids listen to black-type music these days.  A lot of young white singers sound like there trying to sound black.

I remember this story, and I believe that at the same time the principal of the school involved mad a comment
to a biracial female when she asked about which one she should attend that she was a "mistake".  He did mean it, was forced to apologize, but did not lose his job.  As to the rest, I am not surprised at all.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/16/05 at 3:12 pm

And our conservative friends tell us that racism is a thing of the past!

But Mush did make a good point.  The fact (if it was a fact) that it was employees at one TYson plant who pulled this sh1t could vindicate the company.  On the other hand, one has to assume that the plant manager knew about it and apparantly did nothing.  That doesn't reflect well on the corporate level.

(Notice the measured tones of my response.  No need, I hope, to express how utterly appauled I am at this deplorable outrage, which, I fear, expresses blatantly the attitude of all too many"good christian" Americans.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/16/05 at 3:18 pm

I read something last year which I will have to search for again.. that somewhere in Alabama (or Tennessee, not sure which) they wanted to have segregated proms.  And both the blacks and the whites supported this idea, mainly because their taste in music is different.  I'm not sure if it actually happened or not... does anyone else remember this, or know what ever came of it?

Taste in music is "different"?  What BS.  Vermont is the whitest state in the union, but as I sit on my porch reading, and teen drivers go by, all I hear is that f'ing rap music (sorry rap lovers, enjoy, but its just not my thing - no insult intended), and on those few occasions that I am at dances with teens (I do love to dance, just not with teens), more tyhan half tyhe white boys there seem to be black wanna be's.  They wanted seperate proms because THEY DON"T LIKE each other.  How sad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/05 at 8:14 pm

Yes, in Georgia.  I dubbed that the "Strom Prom"!
;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/05 at 8:18 pm

I did some more research, and it seems to me that this is more an issue with one facility, then a problem with Tyson as a whole.

The other articles I read described the sign as "tacked up", saying that it had come from other employees.  And there are a lot of other charges, all of them dealing with harassment from employees.

I hope that the management of that facility are all fired, for allowing things like that to happen.  And anybody who participated in such actions should also be immediately terminated.

And Tyson actually has a surprising supporter in this:  The Reverend Al Sharpton!

http://www.frostillustrated.com/news/2005/0907/Front_Page/004.html

According to Sharpton, this is 1 facility of over 300 that the corporation owns.  He is willing to see how Tyson deals with it before he makes any comments.

I didn't think it was company policy, but an abberation.  It is the fact that any employer anywhere has the tamerity to pull this kind of racist BS is shocking to me.

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/17/05 at 3:12 am

And our conservative friends tell us that racism is a thing of the past!

I would never say that.

Im sure Max was being sarcastic before, but my responce would be the complete opposite of his.

Id like to believe that racism has diminished over the last decades since the civil rights legislation...Id love to believe that this is true everywhere in the US but the most backwards redneck counties down south.  Id like to believe this, but I know deep down that its wrong.  I dont believe its as bad as it was in the 50s and early 60s, but theres still much racism.  The problem is, there will always be.  Theres nothing we can do to stop it.  Were not going to change anyone. 

I like the whites only omlette joke though  ;D

Written By: zcrito on 09/17/05 at 2:36 pm

I also looked this up for more information and to see if it was true and couldn't find an straight forward account. I first heard about it on "Countdown with Keith Olbermann", so you know it's all true (he's one liberal that doesn't let his emotions get in the way of a news story  ::)  ;D )

My guess it's something one or two employees did (maybe as a joke) and it's been blown out of proportion by some employees who hate where they work. A few lawyers, a lawsuit and the possibility of some easy money are what keeps it going. If they can prove Tyson was involved in some way then they're that much closer to the money.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/17/05 at 2:40 pm

I would never say that.

Im sure Max was being sarcastic before, but my responce would be the complete opposite of his.

Id like to believe that racism has diminished over the last decades since the civil rights legislation...Id love to believe that this is true everywhere in the US but the most backwards redneck counties down south.  Id like to believe this, but I know deep down that its wrong.  I dont believe its as bad as it was in the 50s and early 60s, but theres still much racism.  The problem is, there will always be.  Theres nothing we can do to stop it.  Were not going to change anyone. 

I like the whites only omlette joke though  ;D

I think the last 40 years or so proves you wrong, Billy.  Things have changed for the better in terms of race issues, slowly, and by no means enough, but they have changed.  My point is that there is still a long way to go before we can say to the world that we, as  a people are"judged by the content of our character".  Next year in June I will turn 60 (Cat is planning a big party - you are all invited - gifts? Donations to your local food shelves) so I have seen the progress.  Not far enough reaching, and WAY to slow, but progress none the less.  So I must say that I am optimistic.  Hopefully, one day we will all be of the cosmic race -human- and will look back on this era as one of ultimate stupidity.  Call me a cockeyed optimist.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/17/05 at 2:44 pm

I also looked this up for more information and to see if it was true and couldn't find an straight forward account. I first heard about it on "Countdown with Keith Olbermann", so you know it's all true (he's one liberal that doesn't let his emotions get in the way of a news story  ::)  ;D )

My guess it's something one or two employees did (maybe as a joke) and it's been blown out of proportion by some employees who hate where they work. A few lawyers, a lawsuit and the possibility of some easy money are what keeps it going. If they can prove Tyson was involved in some way then they're that much closer to the money.

Joke (in horrible taste) or no, if managment allowed this, they sanctioned it.  The plant manager should have fired who ever posted that sign.  To ignore evil is to sanction evil.

Written By: zcrito on 09/17/05 at 3:01 pm

Joke (in horrible taste) or no, if managment allowed this, they sanctioned it.  The plant manager should have fired who ever posted that sign.  To ignore evil is to sanction evil.

Strapping an explosive device to your body and killing and destroying other people is EVIL. Posting a "whites only" sign isn't evil (unless someone really, really had to use the bathroom  ::) ). Let's keep things in perspective.

And let's don't fire anyone until we have all the facts on this. As of yet I haven't seen a decent full story on this matter.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/17/05 at 4:32 pm

The sign in itself may not be evil, but the intent of that sign is. It's a shame that there are still Alabama residents that want to turn back to it's pathetic racist past. Yes, it isn't as destructive as terrorist bombings (which is still going on in Iraq contrary to what the President's and one of our Hoosier Representive want you to believe), but if racism continues as it is, the consequences will become uglier than it is.
Strapping an explosive device to your body and killing and destroying other people is EVIL. Posting a "whites only" sign isn't evil (unless someone really, really had to use the bathroom  ::) ). Let's keep things in perspective.

And let's don't fire anyone until we have all the facts on this. As of yet I haven't seen a decent full story on this matter.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/17/05 at 4:56 pm

Yes it is.  To many people it is a reminder and a threat of the return of the days when to break the "white only" taboo was to be castrated and lynched.  It is recent memory to a lot of us. Maybe it isn't evil in your eyes, but look at it again, from a different perspective.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/05 at 12:55 am

Yes it is.  To many people it is a reminder and a threat of the return of the days when to break the "white only" taboo was to be castrated and lynched.  It is recent memory to a lot of us. Maybe it isn't evil in your eyes, but look at it again, from a different perspective.

That's what I was thinking.  I remember after Michael Landon died, one anectdote they were telling to describe Landon's brand of humor was when a Black guest star was on Little House, and Landon--for a gag--showed up on the set in a Klansman outfit.  I thought "Joke? Some joke!," especially in 1975!  I'm known for perverse jokes myself, but that's way past my line!
When unspeakable evil has been perpetuated, I think cultural taboo is necessary, especially when the problem is still around.
German law still forbids the flying of the Swastika and neo-Nazi/white supremecist groups.  That's why you find neo-nazi groups based in Vienna, but not in Frankfurt!

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/19/05 at 3:08 pm

No, lets not fire anybody until all the facts of the case are known. 

As others have said, though, that this happened IS evil, and worse than a suicide bombing.  In that case, the evil doer is dead, dead, dead.  In this case, the evil lives on, not only in terms of fear and suspicion, but in terms of bitterness, frustration, suspicion, and the evil of mindless hatred.  Thats not we are suppose to be about.  I would add that trying to "rank" evils is to condone some of them.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 09/19/05 at 4:43 pm

Tyson

Tyson as in Tyson chicken?  Wasn't there a big issue with them a month or so ago because it was found out they were hiring illegal aliens?

Again, I smell a La Raza plant.

Written By: STAR70 on 09/19/05 at 5:09 pm

Tyson as in Tyson chicken

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/19/05 at 5:26 pm

Isn't that a black company?  Mike Tyson?  Or am I thinking about George Foreman chicken?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/05 at 9:33 pm

Isn't that a black company?  Mike Tyson?  Or am I thinking about George Foreman chicken?

The Arkansas chicken man is Don, no kin to Mike.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/counsel/art/tyson.jpg

I wondered if Clinton's first chief economic advisor, Laura Tyson, was from the same family.  She isn't.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/20/05 at 11:32 am

That's what I was thinking.  I remember after Michael Landon died, one anectdote they were telling to describe Landon's brand of humor was when a Black guest star was on Little House, and Landon--for a gag--showed up on the set in a Klansman outfit.  I thought "Joke? Some joke!," especially in 1975!  I'm known for perverse jokes myself, but that's way past my line!
When unspeakable evil has been perpetuated, I think cultural taboo is necessary, especially when the problem is still around.
German law still forbids the flying of the Swastika and neo-Nazi/white supremecist groups.  That's why you find neo-nazi groups based in Vienna, but not in Frankfurt!

You have to understand, that was the 1970's, and things ae always different in California.

I used to have a picture of myself in a Halloween costume my mom made for me and my best friend.  I seem to remember her telling me it was 1968, which made me 4.

My best friend (a black kid) and I went out trick-or-treating in matching KKK outfits.  And instead of the normal patch or cross, we each had Mogan Davids embroidered on our chest.  I wish I still had the picture of us holding hands as we went out.

My mom and his mom thought it was great.  We were so little, we believed it when they said we were going out as "ghosts".  And there was no face mask, so it was obvious that the 2 kids were black and white.  Years later, she told me that it got quite a reaction, almost all positive.  The parents that saw it understood the political statement our parents were making.

Looking back on it now as an adult, I am still amazed.  And remember, we lived in an area that was shifting from Jewish to Bi-racial.  It is now in one of the Hispanic areas of LA.

And remember, 1975 was right after "Blazing Saddles".  That movie was well known for it's satire of the Klukkers.  I myself have never heard the story and could find no reference of it through Google.  And considering that Mr. Landon was Jewish, I find it hard to think anything of it but a possible "Urban Legend" bad joke.

And yes, the Swastika is still banned in Germany.  Back when "Escape From Castle Wolfenstein" was a big computer game, it was illegal to import it into Germany because of the Nazi symbols.  They made a different version (with the "German Cross" instead of the swastika, and other visual changes).  I remember AOL being sued for allowing it to be downloaded in Germany (this was around 1992).

Written By: YWN on 09/20/05 at 5:12 pm

I've only been to northern Alabama a few times, so I wouldn't know how they feel about race issues.  I'm in Southern Alabama, about an hour away from the Gulf.  Guess you could call me a beach boy.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/05 at 5:19 pm

You have to understand, that was the 1970's, and things ae always different in California.

I used to have a picture of myself in a Halloween costume my mom made for me and my best friend.  I seem to remember her telling me it was 1968, which made me 4.

My best friend (a black kid) and I went out trick-or-treating in matching KKK outfits.  And instead of the normal patch or cross, we each had Mogan Davids embroidered on our chest.  I wish I still had the picture of us holding hands as we went out.

My mom and his mom thought it was great.  We were so little, we believed it when they said we were going out as "ghosts".  And there was no face mask, so it was obvious that the 2 kids were black and white.  Years later, she told me that it got quite a reaction, almost all positive.  The parents that saw it understood the political statement our parents were making.

Looking back on it now as an adult, I am still amazed.  And remember, we lived in an area that was shifting from Jewish to Bi-racial.  It is now in one of the Hispanic areas of LA.

And remember, 1975 was right after "Blazing Saddles".  That movie was well known for it's satire of the Klukkers.  I myself have never heard the story and could find no reference of it through Google.  And considering that Mr. Landon was Jewish, I find it hard to think anything of it but a possible "Urban Legend" bad joke.

And yes, the Swastika is still banned in Germany.  Back when "Escape From Castle Wolfenstein" was a big computer game, it was illegal to import it into Germany because of the Nazi symbols.  They made a different version (with the "German Cross" instead of the swastika, and other visual changes).  I remember AOL being sued for allowing it to be downloaded in Germany (this was around 1992).

Lots of kids used to go out on Halloween as ghosts, but ended up looking like KKK members!  I was a child in the '70s, and my mom certainly would not have let me trick-or-treat as Nazi or a klansman!  
I love "Blazing Saddles"!  I think if you look up reviews and commentary in 1974, you would find plenty of people decrying the film's bad taste.  "Blazing Saddles" is also accepted as social satire.  Cleavon Little's character, Sheriff Bart, is the only one who has his head screwed on right, and he's three steps ahead of the white guys, who are portrayed as buffoons and hicks.

You're right, Landon was Jewish, and actually no one on the set was offended by the joke.  I guess Landon knew how to pull it off.  In spite of his clean cut image, Landon had a pretty rough upbringing and s perverse sense of humor.  Anyway...

Written By: Mushroom on 09/21/05 at 9:15 am

Lots of kids used to go out on Halloween as ghosts, but ended up looking like KKK members!  I was a child in the '70s, and my mom certainly would not have let me trick-or-treat as Nazi or a klansman!  

You have to understand something about the late 1960's.

For many people (like my mom), they took the issues of racism in an "in your face" sort of way.  And looking back, there is little that would be more "in your face" then that would have been.  We were just 2 kids, and knew nothing of race, or the Klan, or anything else.  All that mattered to us was that we were both "ghosts".  Gary and I were best friends for most of our time growing up.  We did everything together, and in an era before "macho" became so common, seeing little boys holding hands was not to unusual.

The level of what many people consider "good taste" has moved since then.  What people then considered social commentary and satire is often tacky now.  And also, the reverse is often true.

And Gary's mom made his outfit, so obviously she had no problem with the point being made.  It also says something for the innocence of kids, when their parents do not fill their heads with hate.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/21/05 at 9:28 am

My best friend (a black kid) and I went out trick-or-treating in matching KKK outfits. And instead of the normal patch or cross, we each had Mogan Davids embroidered on our chest. I wish I still had the picture of us holding hands as we went out.

My mom and his mom thought it was great. We were so little, we believed it when they said we were going out as "ghosts". And there was no face mask, so it was obvious that the 2 kids were black and white. Years later, she told me that it got quite a reaction, almost all positive. The parents that saw it understood the political statement our parents were making.

But I don't understand how Klan costumes make a good statement and not make certain people upset, especially in 1968?  Why can't a black kid and a white kid holding hands as Batman and Robin make the same point without making people upset with something that represents terror?

Written By: danootaandme on 09/21/05 at 5:06 pm

But I don't understand how Klan costumes make a good statement and not make certain people upset, especially in 1968?  Why can't a black kid and a white kid holding hands as Batman and Robin make the same point without making people upset with something that represents terror?

Right, If yu want to be in your face it  is best to leave kids out of it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/05 at 10:10 pm

Batman and Robin, eh?  Cold comfort if you're out there dressed as Joker and Penguin!
:D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/22/05 at 10:28 am

It's a sad fact that racism seems to exist in small pockets Worldwide - I just finished reading 'To Kill A Mockingbird' which as I'm sure you'll all know is about racism at it's very ugliest in 1930's America - but they are saying on our television news that the divisions between races in the UK has never been wider, which I guess is a consequence of the bombings etc - yet everything that can be done is being done to make these Ethnic Minority groups feel intergrated - I suspect they don't wanna be part of the deal, they just want the easy living that the UK affords them but wish to remain in their own communities  ;)

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/22/05 at 11:25 am

It's a sad fact that racism seems to exist in small pockets Worldwide - I just finished reading 'To Kill A Mockingbird' which as I'm sure you'll all know is about racism at it's very ugliest in 1930's America - but they are saying on our television news that the divisions between races in the UK has never been wider, which I guess is a consequence of the bombings etc - yet everything that can be done is being done to make these Ethnic Minority groups feel intergrated - I suspect they don't wanna be part of the deal, they just want the easy living that the UK affords them but wish to remain in their own communities ;)

What's wrong with living in there own community?  Isn't "part of the deal" living where you want instead of having to live in a neighborhood where people think your a terrorist just because you are Muslim?

Written By: Mushroom on 09/22/05 at 11:32 am

I suspect they don't wanna be part of the deal, they just want the easy living that the UK affords them but wish to remain in their own communities   ;)

That is true everywhere.  The problem a lot of times is that immigrants ghettoize themselves.  They live in their own little pockets, and do not mingle with the community at large.

There are huge areas of LA where Spanish is the predominant language.  And there are TV, radio stations, and newspapers to cater to them.  And sadly, quite often they will live here for years, and never adapt to the local culture.

My ex-wife came here with her parents in 1978.  Within 3 years, he and her sister fully integrated with American culture.  Most people would never know that they were born and raised in another country.

But her parents never adapted.  After 27 years, neither of them can speak English.  And while their children consider themself more American then Argentinian, their parents will never be "Americans".  They are simply living the remainder of their lives here, more expatriates then citizens.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/22/05 at 11:44 am

That is true everywhere. The problem a lot of times is that immigrants ghettoize themselves. They live in their own little pockets, and do not mingle with the community at large.

That is usually only true of first generations.  It has always been that way, and I dont think thats a problem.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/24/05 at 10:18 am

That is usually only true of first generations.  It has always been that way, and I dont think thats a problem.

Not true.

Living in LA, I knew a lot of people who are 2nd generation, who have not bothered to pick up anythimg more then basic English.  This is because there is such a huge Hispanic community, they have not had the need to do so.

When I was in High School, there were several that were quite proud of it in fact.  And it is still happening today.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/24/05 at 11:27 am

^I do agree. They aren't even trying to speak English because they are being allowed to forgo learning. But, it hurts them because it will lead them to not go anywhere here, especially in school.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/24/05 at 12:34 pm

Well, if they can actually get through school without knowing how to speak proper English, that's a whole other problem.

Written By: STAR70 on 09/27/05 at 3:42 pm

The problem a lot of times is that immigrants ghettoize themselves.  They live in their own little pockets, and do not mingle with the community at large.

I would think America's long history of racial segregation and discrimination would have a lot to do with this

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/05 at 5:38 pm

I would think America's long history of racial segregation and discrimination would have a lot to do with this

The way things are going in the benighted country, Mushroom's grandchildren will have emmigrated to Mumbai, and opinionated Indians will speculate on why American migrants don't want to assimilate to Hindi culture!

Written By: Mushroom on 09/28/05 at 10:45 am

Not true.  I am talking about California.  Unlike the South East, California has no real record or history of segregation.

This is not a case of Segregation, it is a case of Ghettoization (or "Self-Segregation").  They simply choose to not join the common people, and live apart from society.

And California is officially bilingual.  Schools have classes set up for Spanish speakers, and they do not have to learn English.  In California, they even publish voting forms in Spanish!  That means people who were born and live here all their lives, can then feel more comfortable voting in the "native language", even though they have lived here for 18+ years.

And it is not just Hispanics that do this.  Think about every large town with a large ethnic group.  "Chinatown", "Little Korea", "Little Italy", "Little Havana", this is more self-segregation then anything else.

You can go to Garden Grove California today, and meet people who were born in the US, but speak almost entirely Vietnamese, with little or no English skills.  This is by their choice.

And yes, that does cause problems in later life, when they are unable to land jobs outside of the area.  There are areas of LA where almost nobody speaks English.  I have gone to stores, and had to ask for help from 3 or 4 different people until I found somebody that spoke English.

And ya wanna know something?  My ex and her sister look down on those people more then I do.  They consider them "lazy slobs", who only want a free ride, and do not really want to belong to the country that is their home.

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/28/05 at 11:40 am

Does you ex look down on illegals, too?

Written By: Mushroom on 09/28/05 at 12:11 pm

Does you ex look down on illegals, too?

Yes she does.  And yes, she herself was Illegal at one time.

However, she did not know she was illegal until after we were engaged.  Within 6 months of getting married, she got her Resident Alien card.  Within 18 months, her mom and sister got their resident alien cards.  Their father was the only one that was legal, having a work visa (he was a metaluragist).

She and her family came up for political reasons.  For them, it was literally a matter of life and death.  She does not have a problem with illegals, as much as she does illegals who live in the US for many years.  There are frequent amnisty programs (her mom, her sister, and herself used one), and she does not understand those who choose to not take advantage of them.

It is not the illegals she looks down on.  It is the illegals who abuse the system and live here for years and years and have no desire to become legal residents or citizens that she has problems with.

And I share this view with her.

Written By: saver on 09/28/05 at 12:58 pm

Then again, whether light hearted or whatever, I dislike blacks calling each other the 'N' word..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/05 at 3:50 pm

Not true.  I am talking about California.  Unlike the South East, California has no real record or history of segregation.

Uhhh, I would examine your California history a teensy bit more closely if I were you.

This is not a case of Segregation, it is a case of Ghettoization (or "Self-Segregation").  They simply choose to not join the common people, and live apart from society.

Yeah, they wanna live like that in South Central LA.  They choose not join the "common people," the don't want to live in "society."

You know what that sounds like to me?
>:(

Written By: Mushroom on 09/28/05 at 4:28 pm

Yeah, they wanna live like that in South Central LA.  They choose not join the "common people," the don't want to live in "society."

You know what that sounds like to me?

Once again Maxwell, are you speaking from real-life experience?  Have you ever lived in South-Central?  Well, I have.

I have also lived in Compton, Inglewood, and Watts.

And do you want to know where some of the worst slums are?  Try Hollywood and Beverly Hills.  Also try Pacoima (I have lived there also).

And yes, LA had it's racial issues, just like every other area of the country.  But it was nothing like what happened in Alabama and Mississippi in the 1950's and 1960's.  Governor Pat Brown was nothing like Governor George Wallace (even though both were Democrats).

I found this interesting bit on the LAUSD web site:

Roosevelt High School, the second largest high school in the United States, is now nearly 99% Latino. In the years before the formal end to segregation it had a much more diverse student body. For example in 1930s, the school had a Japanese American male student body president, and an African American female vice-president.

By the early 1970's, LA even had a bussing system in place to integrate the junior high and high schools.  This was done because of the self-segregation of LA.  We had blacks in my area, but nowhere near as many in areas like South-Central.  And yes, they did bus white students to South-Central!  It worked (and still works) both ways.

Many areas of South-Central are very "family oriented".  When I worked at Boeing, one of my co-workers still lived in Inglewood.  It was an area that had fallen on hard times, and he could afford to leave.  But the house was the one his grandfater had bought after WWII, and he just could not leave it.  2 of his aunts lived within walking distance, and his son lived a block away.

I remember a study that was done in the 1990's, that showed that South-Central had one of the highest percentages of privately owned homes!  Most of the people who live there actually own their homes.  And many have lived there for generations.  Their grandfathers (or great grandfathers) may have been "forced" to live there, but that is their home.  And yes, there are people of all ethnicities who live there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/05 at 4:57 pm

Once again Maxwell, are you speaking from real-life experience?  Have you ever lived in South-Central?  Well, I have.

And do you want to know where some of the worst slums are?  Try Hollywood and Beverly Hills.  Also try Pacoima (I have lived there also).

And yes, LA had it's racial issues, just like every other area of the country.  But it was nothing like what happened in Alabama and Mississippi in the 1950's and 1960's.  Governor Pat Brown was nothing like Governor George Wallace (even though both were Democrats).

Roosevelt High School, the second largest high school in the United States, is now nearly 99% Latino. In the years before the formal end to segregation it had a much more diverse student body. For example in 1930s, the school had a Japanese American male student body president, and an African American female vice-president.

By the early 1970's, LA even had a bussing system in place to integrate the junior high and high schools.  This was done because of the self-segregation of LA.  We had blacks in my area, but nowhere near as many in areas like South-Central.  And yes, they did bus white students to South-Central!  It worked (and still works) both ways.

Many areas of South-Central are very "family oriented".  When I worked at Boeing, one of my co-workers still lived in Inglewood.  It was an area that had fallen on hard times, and he could afford to leave.  But the house was the one his grandfater had bought after WWII, and he just could not leave it.  2 of his aunts lived within walking distance, and his son lived a block away.

I remember a study that was done in the 1990's, that showed that South-Central had one of the highest percentages of privately owned homes!  Most of the people who live there actually own their homes.  And many have lived there for generations.  Their grandfathers (or great grandfathers) may have been "forced" to live there, but that is their home.  And yes, there are people of all ethnicities who live there.

Hmmm...interesting.  Good points.  If you lived there, I guess it makes sense you would know. 

Written By: tv on 10/01/05 at 1:29 am

And it is not just Hispanics that do this.  Think about every large town with a large ethnic group.  "Chinatown", "Little Korea", "Little Italy", "Little Havana", this is more self-segregation then anything else.

And yes, that does cause problems in later life, when they are unable to land jobs outside of the area.  There are areas of LA where almost nobody speaks English.  I have gone to stores, and had to ask for help from 3 or 4 different people until I found somebody that spoke English.

One of the first few times a I encountered somebody said they can;t speak English I was stunned. Now I realize there is so many people that don't speak English that I;m not even the least bit surprised about it. I am a security guard and one time somebody came in to find about something and all the workers there were spanish so I out loud I said who speaks English here because I am so used to it now. My Spanish is very bad. One of the workers the other day at the site I work at was trying to talk spanish to me and it was very hard to understand him. Also another time a couple spanish guys came to another site I used to work at and they didn;t speak any English. They were looking for somebody who worked there orginally. Luckily before they walked in a spanish girl who was from Peru who just coming out of the building who spoke both Spanish and English was able to transalate back and forth in Spanish and English for the 2 spanish guys and me.

I live in New Jersey so its not just California that is that way either. You go down to the Jersey Shore and there is so many people speak spanish its unreal. Also, when I was down the Jersey shore a couple of months ago I was in a paking lot waiting to get a spot and I asked a family are you leaving. One of them looks to the other one because they didn;t know how to speak English and the person they looked too did. Yes, they were spanish. I;m not saying I dislike hispanics but I;m just pointing out as a white guy in my mid 20's its nothing to be shocked about that they don;t speak any english.

I think most of the younger spanish people that come to the US like to learn English where as some of the older people like 40ish rather not learn English.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/01/05 at 11:18 am

I think most of the younger spanish people that come to the US like to learn English where as some of the older people like 40ish rather not learn English.

There, it depends a lot also on where they live.

We have a decent sized Hispanic community here in Alabama.  But because there are no TV, Radio, or Newspapers here more of them are forced to learn English in order to set by.  There are almost no Hispanic markets or stores (the 3 I know of that opened closed within a year).

This is very unlike an area with a large Hispanic population (or any other immigrant population).  Immigrants worldwide tend to congregate into communities.  This way they can feel less alien in a foreign culture.  But the downside is that they will never fill into the new culture.  And if the community is large enough, their children will never join the mainstream culture, being forever outsiders.

Written By: STAR70 on 10/01/05 at 5:15 pm

I can refute this.

I found an old title insurance document in the attic of my house dated Jan 2 1932.

Stipulation 4 of the policy states words to the effect of:

the Owner agrees never to sell, rent, or allow occupation of said Property to anyone of African or Oriental descent.

and this is in Los Angeles. though obviously the drgree of segregation was MUCH more virulent in the South

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/02/05 at 4:13 am

The sign in itself may not be evil, but the intent of that sign is. It's a shame that there are still Alabama residents that want to turn back to it's pathetic racist past. Yes, it isn't as destructive as terrorist bombings (which is still going on in Iraq contrary to what the President's and one of our Hoosier Representive want you to believe), but if racism continues as it is, the consequences will become uglier than it is.
Yeah, lots of people out there, most of the members of the GOP, like to think that racism, sexism, and intolerance are non-issues nowadays.
That's what I was thinking. I remember after Michael Landon died, one anectdote they were telling to describe Landon's brand of humor was when a Black guest star was on Little House, and Landon--for a gag--showed up on the set in a Klansman outfit. I thought "Joke? Some joke!," especially in 1975! I'm known for perverse jokes myself, but that's way past my line!
German law still forbids the flying of the Swastika and neo-Nazi/white supremecist groups. That's why you find neo-nazi groups based in Vienna, but not in Frankfurt!
And there are Neo-Nazis here in the good ol' USofA....White Aryan Resistance(led by Tom Metzger)...Aryan Nations...the Order....and oh yeah the KKK...as long as that filth is out there...racism and intolerance will still be around....

Written By: alyceclover on 10/19/05 at 10:06 pm

WHAT IF EVERYONE WAS BLIND THEN NO-ONE WOULD KNOW WHO TO HATE bumper sticker I saw the other day, psst, pass it on  ;) I like the egg joke too  :) growing up in the North in intergrated schools, couldn't imagine segregated proms, but know some 'African Americans' from the South who did't like de-segregation of their schools, so guess what it said in that article was true, they like it the way it is....but I don't get it 8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/19/05 at 11:59 pm

How would you honestly know what L.A.'s attitudes were like if you most likely never experienced it? My in-laws and their families are from and still reside in Compton. Overt racism is easier to deal with than implied racism b/c there aren't any watch dogs. Yes, I cannot equate it to Alabama from the stories I've heard from family and elders; however, L.A. had (and still has) serious racial issues that went under the radar b/c it wasn't in the south. I hear the stories from my hubby's family and it's horrendous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/05 at 12:47 am

How would you honestly know what L.A.'s attitudes were like if you most likely never experienced it? My in-laws and their families are from and still reside in Compton. Overt racism is easier to deal with than implied racism b/c there aren't any watch dogs. Yes, I cannot equate it to Alabama from the stories I've heard from family and elders; however, L.A. had (and still has) serious racial issues that went under the radar b/c it wasn't in the south. I hear the stories from my hubby's family and it's horrendous.

Mushroom was saying he lived in Compton, so he certainly knows South Central better than I, as I have never even visited there.  However, I think the point is, many people can witness the same thing and come away with as many different perspectives.  You know, it's like Kurosawa's classic film "Roshomon," -- in ancient Japan, a woman is raped and her husband killed. The film gives us four viewpoints of the incident - one for each defendant - each revealing a little more detail. Which version, if any, is the real truth about what happened?
All can see some things, but no one can see all things.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/20/05 at 2:05 am

A few semi-related thoughts:

1. Some people can't get their heads out of the past.  The NAACP seems to only exist now-a-days only to complain about the Mississippi state flag or the painting of Robert E. Lee in the Georgia governor's mansion.  There are some issues why the NAACP should still exist, but they haven't really move on.  It's like the anti-polio groups still existing.

2. Seriously it's time for section 5 of the voter rights act to die.  It's not 1965 anymore, and Massachusetts should not be treated better or worse than South Carolina.

3. Racism is not as widespread as some want to make it.  Sure, anybody can pull up a few newspaper articles, but that doesn't mean anything.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/20/05 at 9:45 am

How would you honestly know what L.A.'s attitudes were like if you most likely never experienced it?

Uhh, maybe because I was born in LA, and live there for most of my life?

I was born in LA in 1964, and lived there until 1975.  I returned there in 1982 and lived there until 1987.  From 1990-1992 I lived in San Francisco, and visited my family in LA at least once a month.  When I came back in 1993 I lived there until 2003, when I was lucky enough to "Escape From LA".  I now live in Alabama, where I am happy for the first time in years.  All the stresses of "big city living" are now gone.

Believe me, I have lived all over LA.  Encino, Reseda, Torance, Long Beach, Seal Beach, Hollywood, Compton, Watts, Inglewood, Van Nuys, Pacoima, North Hollywood, Canoga Park, Lancaster, Palmdale, Quartz Hill, Seal Beach, Westminster, Bell, Anaheim, at one time I have either lived in, or spent a long time in each of those areas.

And here is a secret: there is racism everywhere.  And here is another secret: people of all races can be racist.

Here in Alabama, the White Racists are more obvious.  But for the most part, they are on the run.  And I have never been shy of telling one just what I think of them.  There is a business just down the street I used to go to.  I stopped, and will never return because I recently heard him talking about New Orlenas, and how "all them Nerfhearders got what they deserved" (he used another word, but you get the idea).  So now I shop someplace else.

In LA, I think that a large percentage of racists are/have belonged to gangs.  The gangs in LA are very racially driven, and I am sure that a lot of them that were members 20-30 years ago are still carrying the baggage from those days still today.  Overt racism is not tolerated in that city, and it is quickly acted upon.

Another segment tends to be the immigrant community.  LA has one of the largest (if not THE largest) immigrant population in the country.  And to a lot of immigrants, their only exposure to blacks before they moved here was in movies.  My ex moved to LA from Argentina when she was 16.  She had never seen a black person in her life before she came here.  And with the large Asian communities, there is always tension there.  In fact, some of the worst rioting in 1992 came from black gangs going into Asian districts.  And there is a lot of tension in the Hispanic districts as well.

In fact, "Whites" are a minority in LA, and have been for close to 10 years now.  My oldest son is "Hispanic", because of his mother.  In fact, she also "Hispanic", even though she is more "White" then I am.  LA is a big mixing pot of races and ethnicities.  For the most part, nobody really cares what race you are or where you come from.  But there is always going to be racism, because there will always be stupid people that can't get over outward appearance and preconcieved notions of how people "should" behave.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/20/05 at 11:45 am

Let me help you here.

1. Yes, you may have experienced it indirectly because of others you know. But, you may have never experienced it directly.

Try being a white person in Compton or Inglewood.  Or better yet, try being an American in Panama or Japan.  Yes, I do know what Racism is, and I have experienced it first-hand.  Just because a person is white, that does not mean he/she has not come under attack because of their race.

And as for Argentina, there are very few blacks there.  There are also very few Indians, other then those in the highlands or Pampas plains.  Buenos Aires is a "White Meca" in South America.  Is it any wonder that so many former Nazi's relocated there?  My ex was actually rather racist in her own way (I never realized it until after we were married).  She was rather proud that all of her family came from "Italy, France, or Spain".  Myself, I am proud of my Heinz-57 ancestery.  She would never discriminate or say anything in public, but she never understood that Indians, Blacks, or Mexicans were people just like she was.

And as you should know, there is racism all over LA.  Be white and go to "M&M Soul Food" place on Manchester in Inglewood.  Or go to Rico's in Pacoima.  There have been times in both places where I have stood for 10 minutes before somebody would bother to take my order.

Or in Panama, where even in 1987, Americans were not welcome (and were attacked on the street, I whould know because I was attacked there just because I was an "Anglo").  Or Japan, where they are so Xenophobic, even a "Japanese-American" is looked at as a foreigner, and not welcome because he is "American".

There is discrimination and racism in this cournty.  And I admit that there always will be.  Some people just can't see past the obvious, and look inside of people.  But unlike some areas of the world (former Yugoslavia, Ireland, India, etc) it no longer results in open warfare in this country.  I just hope that someday it dissapears.  But as long as some people break the world into "Us" and "Them", it will always be here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/05 at 11:57 am

A few semi-related thoughts:

1. Some people can't get their heads out of the past.  The NAACP seems to only exist now-a-days only to complain about the Mississippi state flag or the painting of Robert E. Lee in the Georgia governor's mansion.  There are some issues why the NAACP should still exist, but they haven't really move on.  It's like the anti-polio groups still existing.

2. Seriously it's time for section 5 of the voter rights act to die.  It's not 1965 anymore, and Massachusetts should not be treated better or worse than South Carolina.

3. Racism is not as widespread as some want to make it.  Sure, anybody can pull up a few newspaper articles, but that doesn't mean anything.

Today racism falls under the heading of classism.  Classism is the proverbial 400-pound gorilla in the phone booth Americans are trying so hard not to see!  Basically, all races and ethnic groups are great as long as they live and act like White Republicans.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/20/05 at 1:59 pm

If someone reports that they've experienced racism, or feels they have, why do we so often feel compelled to:

1. take it personally
2. assume they're making it up
3. assume that our interpretation of events is more accurate than their actual experience
4. accuse them of "victimhood"
5. make the patronizing assumption that they're "letting their mindset hold them back in life"
6. attempt to discount their experience by going on at length about the racism we've encountered

Is any of this really productive?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/05 at 2:49 pm

Racism is no less real than it was forty years ago, it is now superceded by classism.  It's the whole "Cosby" phenomenon at play since the '80s.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/20/05 at 3:16 pm

If somebody discriminates against me for some reason, I simply shrug and go on with my life.  And if it is a business, I take my business elsewhere.

To me, life is to short and precious to spend my life hating others.  And I refuse to give into it in any way.  If they think differently of me (or somebody else) because of something so petty, then I know that I am the superior to that person, because their mind is closed.

A closed mind gathers no knowledge.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/20/05 at 3:25 pm

So if someone behaves in an offensive manner, you just ignore it and walk away, but if someone dares express irritation about having received such treatment, you chastize them for raising the issue?  :-\\

Written By: Mushroom on 10/20/05 at 5:04 pm

So if someone behaves in an offensive manner, you just ignore it and walk away, but if someone dares express irritation about having received such treatment, you chastize them for raising the issue?   :-\\

Quite often, yes.

At where I work, everybody knows not to use "The N Word" around me.  I do not like it, and do not want to hear it.  Quite often, the reaction is one of shock, then shame.

One guy here just did not get it when I asked him repeatedly to not say it around me.  Finally, I started to ignore him.  And I mean ignore.  Normally for a period of at least 30-45 minutes, I would pretend he is not there.  He could talk directly to me, and I just ignore it.  If he is talking to our boss, I will talk over him, and not respond to anything he says.  Finally, he got the idea.  He still slips from time to time, but nowhere near as much as he did a year ago.

And yes, I have also asked Blacks to not say it around me.  The reaction I get then is often funny.  But hopefully it also makes them think a bit too.  My objection to the word even prevents me from listening to most of Richard Pryor's work, or that of Eddie Murphy during his "Raw" period.

Written By: STAR70 on 10/20/05 at 5:48 pm

And as for Argentina, there are very few blacks there.  There are also very few Indians, other then those in the highlands or Pampas plains.  Buenos Aires is a "White Meca" in South America.  Is it any wonder that so many former Nazi's relocated there? 

just out of curiosity, is your ex related to the Nazi emigres???

But as long as some people break the world into "Us" and "Them", it will always be here.

so the ubiquitous nature of racism makes it tolerable?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/20/05 at 5:49 pm

^While I applaud you for trying to overcome such behavior, I must say that it is quite easy for you to ignore such discriminatory behavior. As an African-American and a woman, I face such behavior every day. Can I easily ignore it and walk away? No, because I belong to two groups that have fought long and hard for their equal rights. For me to deny my right to not be treated unfairly is a slap in their faces. So, I don't and I voice how I feel.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/20/05 at 6:03 pm

Try being a white person in Compton or Inglewood.  Or better yet, try being an American in Panama or Japan.  Yes, I do know what Racism is, and I have experienced it first-hand.  Just because a person is white, that does not mean he/she has not come under attack because of their race.

And as for Argentina, there are very few blacks there.  There are also very few Indians, other then those in the highlands or Pampas plains.  Buenos Aires is a "White Meca" in South America.  Is it any wonder that so many former Nazi's relocated there?  My ex was actually rather racist in her own way (I never realized it until after we were married).  She was rather proud that all of her family came from "Italy, France, or Spain".  Myself, I am proud of my Heinz-57 ancestery.  She would never discriminate or say anything in public, but she never understood that Indians, Blacks, or Mexicans were people just like she was.

And as you should know, there is racism all over LA.  Be white and go to "M&M Soul Food" place on Manchester in Inglewood.  Or go to Rico's in Pacoima.  There have been times in both places where I have stood for 10 minutes before somebody would bother to take my order.

Or in Panama, where even in 1987, Americans were not welcome (and were attacked on the street, I whould know because I was attacked there just because I was an "Anglo").  Or Japan, where they are so Xenophobic, even a "Japanese-American" is looked at as a foreigner, and not welcome because he is "American".

There is discrimination and racism in this cournty.  And I admit that there always will be.  Some people just can't see past the obvious, and look inside of people.  But unlike some areas of the world (former Yugoslavia, Ireland, India, etc) it no longer results in open warfare in this country.  I just hope that someday it dissapears.  But as long as some people break the world into "Us" and "Them", it will always be here.

1. That's not racism, but more of prejudicial views. What you've encountered is suspicion based on past experiences or stereotypes. It's not unknown to many ethnic neighborhoods (of color, to differentiate) for its residents to be weary of whites venturing in. Past experiences like whites only coming in to buy drugs or prostitutes or to stir up trouble (Toledo is a perfect example) have made many anxious (I'm not excusing the behavior, but I'm citing examples). I've summed up two kinds of prejudices from my lifetime experiences: a) prejudice b/c you blatantly just do not like a group (and cannot do anything about it b/c you don't own a bank, have stock in a company, blah, blah, blah) and b) prejudice b/c of historic background. I actually did a thesis in my undergraduate years. In it, I discussed how many parents of color (black, latino/hispanic, asian, native american) "warn" in various ways their children about whites based on how past and present treatment. The responses were amazing. One Asian mother told me that she had to b/c in her own words, "they don't have a good track record." Could I disagree with her? No. I'm not saying that all whites need to be warned of b/c many do not. However, I joke sometimes and say that they need to overthrow the ones that make most whites appear wrong, crazy, or evil. If you can get rid of them (as well as other people of color who feel the same way), we may be all right in the world.

But, I digress.....

2. Yeah, I wonder if she's tied in with the relocated nazis. You might want to check into that b/c she may only be a white person from Argentina, not having any mestizo, Indian, or mulatto blood in her at all b/c if she did she shouldn't feel that way.

3. If you are standing in line for 10 minutes that's rude service, period. I've stood in many Inglewood shops waiting for service - only to leave b/c the service was terrible.

I'm happy to have debated yet another topic with you, Mushroom. I look forward to the next topic.

Written By: McDonald on 10/20/05 at 11:45 pm

Quite often, yes.

At where I work, everybody knows not to use "The N Word" around me.  I do not like it, and do not want to hear it.  Quite often, the reaction is one of shock, then shame.

One guy here just did not get it when I asked him repeatedly to not say it around me.  Finally, I started to ignore him.  And I mean ignore.  Normally for a period of at least 30-45 minutes, I would pretend he is not there.  He could talk directly to me, and I just ignore it.  If he is talking to our boss, I will talk over him, and not respond to anything he says.  Finally, he got the idea.  He still slips from time to time, but nowhere near as much as he did a year ago.

And yes, I have also asked Blacks to not say it around me.  The reaction I get then is often funny.  But hopefully it also makes them think a bit too.  My objection to the word even prevents me from listening to most of Richard Pryor's work, or that of Eddie Murphy during his "Raw" period.

I'm sorry, but where do you get off asking a black person not to use the word "******?" It's perfectly acceptable for a black person to use it if they want to, and I don't think I have to explain why. How do you think it makes a black person feel when a WHITE man asks THEM not to use that word because the white man finds it offensive??? That's like taking history and slapping that person in the face with it. For over 400 years, whites use the term against blacks as a perjorative, and then all of a sudden whites are the ones offended by its use by a black person (and usually as a term of endearment and brotherhood no less)! That's absurd. As far as being offended when other whites use the word, that I understand and empathise with that because I too get offended by this sort of ignorance, but I'm certainly never offended to hear black people use it. That's ridiculous, I have no right to be.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/21/05 at 12:06 am

Personally, I'd prefer it if Black people did not use the "N" word, but I don't get my drawers in a knot.  Most adults have the common sense to know the difference.  It's the dopey white kids who think they're down in da hood 'coz they listen to Fiddy Cent that bother me.  Kids with red hair and doughy complexion walkin' the walk and saying: "'sup n*gga!"
::)

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/21/05 at 8:53 am

Kids with red hair and doughy complexion walkin' the walk and saying: "'sup n*gga!"
::)

I don't like it, but if the kid is using it with a black friend in a spirit of cameraderie, clearly they have a particular relationship, and it would probably be presumptuous of me to impose my judgement of how they ought to or ought not to refer to each other.  I mean, if I felt entitled to get on their case, then everytime some obnoxious couple started calling each other 'schmoopie-face' in public, I'd have to smack them, too.

What irritates me more is when people try to lamely suggest some equivalence between the traditional use of the word and the way it's used in urban black street lingo.  "Well, those rappers say it, why do you all get bent out of shape when we say it?"  Please.  Do I look stupid?  That's as disingenous as suggesting that Dick means dick.

Besides, it's America -- you certainly can say whatever you wish, just don't be naive.  Just as I'm allowed to call someone's mother a whore, but I'm a fool if I think he's gonna stand for it.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/21/05 at 9:56 am

2. Yeah, I wonder if she's tied in with the relocated nazis. You might want to check into that b/c she may only be a white person from Argentina, not having any mestizo, Indian, or mulatto blood in her at all b/c if she did she shouldn't feel that way.

Actually, she is not.  Her family has mostly been there for over a century.  In fact, her uncle is a world famous palentologist.  One thing most people here do not realize is how rare in most countries it is to see such obvious "minorities".  It is even more noticeable in Japan (and other Asian countries) where the minority population is around 2-3%.  Compare this to the US, where even "minorities" are often in the 30-40% range.  We have mor contact with minorities of all types.  In many other areas of the world, it is a curiosity, and not understood at all.

^While I applaud you for trying to overcome such behavior, I must say that it is quite easy for you to ignore such discriminatory behavior. As an African-American and a woman, I face such behavior every day. Can I easily ignore it and walk away?

Well, obviously I am not black.  I would probably handle this much differently if I was.  But it does make a point, in a non-confrontational way for me.  And I am sure it sticks in peoples minds much more then if it was done by a black person.  It shows the idiots that "we" do not all agree with them.  And you have every right to do what you think is right when they offend you.

I'm sorry, but where do you get off asking a black person not to use the word "******?" It's perfectly acceptable for a black person to use it if they want to, and I don't think I have to explain why.

That is a double-standard.  And I do not believe in double standards.  Either a word is right, or it is wrong.  Either it is offensive, or it is not offensive.  I refuse to accept that somebody can use a word that I am not allowed to use, simply because of my ancestry.

And no, it is not "perfectly acctable.  In fact, there are a lot of people who want it expunged from the language entirely.

http://www.blackcommentator.com/10_1.html

Saying "It is ok for me to say it and not you" is as logical as any other double-standard.  If it is wrong, it is wrong.  Plain, simple, end of story.  Otherwise, you are just giving racists the right to do the same thing in return.

And I am not a fool.  I only object when it is used to me, not around me.  If somebody says it to another in conversation, I keep quiet.  It is when they say it to me that I take notice and do/say something about it.

And it is not only "The N Word" that I act like this about.  Any am angered offensive term (chink, jap, wop, kike, bitch, ho is a prostitute], spic, wetback, the list goes on).  I am against offensive speech, and do not accept it being spoken to me.

If you think it is acceptible, I think you need to take a long and serious look at the very idea.  You need to consider what "double standard" is, and what the consequences may be if this continues.  You are giving every "white supremist" permission to do whatever discriminatory privlidges they want, because you are saying that a double standard is acceptable.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/21/05 at 11:35 am

A true "double standard" would apply if there were some term that had been coined by blacks to marginalize whites, which whites then started using as a term of cameraderie.

Written By: McDonald on 10/21/05 at 12:03 pm

re: Mushroom

Ludicrous. What the black community has done over the centuries is they've taken a word which was originally intended to demean them and cause them emotional pain, and turned it into a word of comeraderie and brotherhood within their own community. That's the ultimate reversal, and I respect that. The reason it's usually not appropriate for any white person to say it is obvious. Traditionally the word was used by white to demen blacks, you can't expect that connotation to change in little over a generation. It might be a double-standard, but it's not that big of a deal. As a white man, I've never had the inclination to use the word at all anyway. It doesn't bother me that the black community uses it as a friendly word amongst themselves, because like I said, it's the ultimate F-U to all the racist bastards in the past who have tried to bring thier community down with it. You have no right to try and take that victory away from them.

The fact that some black people choose not to use the word because they dislike it in any context, doesn't change anything. You think that a few people speak for the feelings of the black community as a whole? "Nigga," and nigge* are two completely different words as far as I'm concerned.

It's so unbelievably condescending for a white person to tell a black person that they can't use the word (for any reason) because we can't and that's not fair. Well, tell me, was it fair when our ancestors were keeping their ancestors as property? Was it fair when our grandfathers were using better toiletts and eating at better restaurants simply because they were white?

Your failure to accept the difference between when a white person uses it and when a black person uses it, is an expression of resentment for having that social and racial legacy saddled on you simply because you're white. You don't want to feel responsible because in reality you aren't, but you confuse that reality with having the right to ignore the social ramifications of past racism that still exist today, and the social contexts they've created. You can't ignore them, you have to deal with them, and b!tching about a double-standard such as this is fruitless and a little insensitive to be honest.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/21/05 at 12:51 pm

My gawd, I love you McDonald. I would have your babies. LOL  :-X

Written By: Mushroom on 10/21/05 at 1:56 pm

Then I should stop correcting everybody for it's use then.

Either a word is right, or it is wrong.  I am not going to get on somebodies case for the use of a word that it seems like everybody else in here says is OK.

And if somebody thinks that is niggardly of me, that is fine.  I am tired of beating my head against a wall here.  It seems that to a lot of people in here, no matter what I do, I am wrong.  Since it does not apply to me, why am I even wasting my time and energy?  After all, it does not affect me.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/21/05 at 2:05 pm

Either a word is right, or it is wrong.  I am not going to get on somebodies case for the use of a word that it seems like everybody else in here says is OK.

And if somebody thinks that is niggardly of me, that is fine.  I am tired of beating my head against a wall here.  It seems that to a lot of people in here, no matter what I do, I am wrong.  Since it does not apply to me, why am I even wasting my time and energy?  After all, it does not affect me.

The point is, it's not as simple as it being "ok" or not.  And your contrived misuse of the benign word 'niggardly', as if to try to bait someone into displaying their own misunderstanding of the word, comes off as simply childish.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/21/05 at 2:08 pm

If it doesn't affect you, God bless you and good day.  Would that I had the luxury of indifference.

Written By: Tia on 10/21/05 at 2:15 pm

My gawd, I love you McDonald. I would have your babies. LOL  :-X

yeah, i've only read a few of his posts but pretty good stuff. i might have to stop somewhere short of the childbearing though!

Written By: STAR70 on 10/21/05 at 5:18 pm

Quite often, yes.

One guy here just did not get it when I asked him repeatedly to not say it around me.  Finally, I started to ignore him.  And I mean ignore

by ignoring such offensive behavior, are you not condoning it ???

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/21/05 at 9:07 pm

great point, star70
yeah, i've only read a few of his posts but pretty good stuff. i might have to stop somewhere short of the childbearing though!

Just joking of course. I'm a mom already and I know whose children I will really bear.

by ignoring such offensive behavior, are you not condoning it ???

great point, star70

Written By: zcrito on 10/22/05 at 2:42 am

I'm sorry, but where do you get off asking a black person not to use the word "******?" It's perfectly acceptable for a black person to use it if they want to, and I don't think I have to explain why. How do you think it makes a black person feel when a WHITE man asks THEM not to use that word because the white man finds it offensive??? That's like taking history and slapping that person in the face with it. For over 400 years, whites use the term against blacks as a perjorative, and then all of a sudden whites are the ones offended by its use by a black person (and usually as a term of endearment and brotherhood no less)! That's absurd. As far as being offended when other whites use the word, that I understand and empathise with that because I too get offended by this sort of ignorance, but I'm certainly never offended to hear black people use it. That's ridiculous, I have no right to be.

McD. sometimes you can be so full of crap.

If calling someone a nigge* is offensive or causes hurt to someone then it's unacceptable to say it by anyone regardless of their color.

If it's a word of insult then it's no different than say calling someone "ugly".
If two unattractive people want to call themselves or others "ugly", then THEY CAN, but it is NOT OK. And saying it's all right because maybe they're unattractive and maybe they've been called it doesn't make it any more right.

Calling each other "nigge*" or "niggaz" between blacks is unacceptable because it's a poor choice of words, is degrading and encourages people to think like victims.

And that includes Kanye West and his trashy "Gold Digger" song and its "...she ain't messin' wit' no broke niggaz" line. Kanye West obviously doesn't care about black people.

--Edited to remove the "******".

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/22/05 at 9:14 am

If calling someone a nigge* is offensive or causes hurt to someone then it's unacceptable to say it by anyone regardless of their color.

If it's a word of insult then it's no different than say calling someone "ugly".
If two unattractive people want to call themselves or others "ugly", then THEY CAN, but it is NOT OK. And saying it's all right because maybe they're unattractive and maybe they've been called it doesn't make it any more right.

Calling each other "nigge*" or "niggaz" between blacks is unacceptable because it's a poor choice of words, is degrading and encourages people to think like victims.

And that includes Kanye West and his trashy "Gold Digger" song and its "...she ain't messin' wit' no broke niggaz" line. Kanye West obviously doesn't care about black people.

Aw, zcrito, thanks for the thoughtful commentary, and for showing such restraint in using the word only four times in your own post.  Given such authentic concern for the damage that word can cause, I can only imagine how painful it must have been for you to make the effort to circumvent the censor so you could display as much of it as possible.  But thank you for taking the trouble to do that, as emotionally painful as it must have been.  I mean, the 'greater good', and all that.  After all, people of good will may disagree on strategy, but they seek the same end, right?
;)

Written By: Mushroom on 10/22/05 at 12:33 pm

It is of no use to comment on that in here I have discovered.  And I noticed that sarcasm is lost as well.

I find the word offensive, and will continue to treat it as offensive, no matter who says it to me.

And if some people continue with the "it is OK for this person to use it, but not that person", then they are endorsing a double standard, just as bad as the double standards they claim they want to remove.

It is more of the "what is fine for me is not OK for you" line of thinking that keeps discrimination alive in the first place.  And if telling me it is OK for a black person to use that word but it is not OK for me, that is discrimination in and of itself.

And don't nobody in here tell me not to use the word "boy" either.  It is a perfectly fine word, and is used reguardless of race here in the South.  If I have to accept your use of a word that many find offensive, then you have no right to complain if I use a word you think is offensive.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/22/05 at 1:07 pm

Boo hoo.  Informed, intelligent people of goodwill may honorably disagree on the issue of whether the term should ever be used by anyone under any circumstances.  But to my mind, anyone who attempts to suggest a simplistic moral equivalence among the varying contexts in which the word is used is clearly demonstrating a fundamental unwillingness to engage in meaningful discussion.

We can all try to put our egos on the back burner, suspend a bit of the sarcasm, resist the patronizing "what no one else but me seems to understand..." rhetoric and consider that other people might actually have a valid point of view, whether we agree with it or not.

Or we can keep doing this. Either way, I'm fine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 1:18 pm

The point is, it's not as simple as it being "ok" or not.  And your contrived misuse of the benign word 'niggardly', as if to try to bait someone into displaying their own misunderstanding of the word, comes off as simply childish.

I agree.  Racial issues are nothing to s****** about!
;)

Civility, people, civility.  I notice a lot of venom on this thread.  We should all be here for fun--and possible edification.  Robust debate is good cerebral exercise, but let's keep it in the realm of debate, not pokes-in-the-eye!

Niggardly refers to stinginess.

If you say a word is "either right or wrong" to use, you limit yourself to black-and-white thinking (no pun intended) and set yourself up to feel offended.  Like I say, I'm not comfortable with the whole "N" word usage in pop culture, but I'm not gonna go around bawling people out for it.  That's not going to get me anywhere, so I just let it go.

Written By: Tia on 10/22/05 at 1:26 pm

Civility, people, civility.  I notice a lot of venom on this thread.  

yeah, race has that effect. i went to germany a few years ago and was at some college party and this german guy was talking about how amazing europe finds america's problems with race, it's so dug in. and considering the horrendous recent history of germany, that's saying something. they had to confront their heinous past when the allies invaded but america has never had to face its history with slavery and jim crow and all that horror. in this culture we repress it, i think, and try to pretend it isn't there -- unless we're among the people who suffer from it directly, in which case it's existence is undeniable and, i imagine, the refusal of the culture at large to acknowledge it is probably singularly infuriating.

someone in the office used the "N" word the other day; she was just quoting someone else in the context of telling a story but it made my flesh crawl. i hate that word more than anything.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 1:32 pm

yeah, race has that effect. i went to germany a few years ago and was at some college party and this german guy was talking about how amazing europe finds america's problems with race, it's so dug in. and considering the horrendous recent history of germany, that's saying something.

Ja, vaht's with ze racism you people!

Written By: Tia on 10/22/05 at 1:34 pm

Ja, vaht's with ze racism you people!

lol. yeah, it was really a moment quite like that. he phrased it really indelicately, i think because his grasp of english wasn't so hot.

Written By: Tia on 10/22/05 at 1:41 pm

let me hasten to add though that when i went in general i was very impressed with the political and social awareness of the people in germany. they've searched their souls since the war and they take their social infrastructure seriously, and you'll notice they don't leave their poverty striken on the streets the way the conservative government does in america. in the western society of nations i've never seen anything remind me so much of the warsaw ghetto as that unbelievable horror in new orleans. that's going to shame this nation for a generation, i think.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 1:52 pm

let me hasten to add though that when i went in general i was very impressed with the political and social awareness of the people in germany. they've searched their souls since the war and they take their social infrastructure seriously, and you'll notice they don't leave their poverty striken on the streets the way the conservative government does in america. in the western society of nations i've never seen anything remind me so much of the warsaw ghetto as that unbelievable horror in new orleans. that's going to shame this nation for a generation, i think.

Indeed, American business interests constantly try to suppress how well the progressive societies of post-WWII Europe actually work. 

Written By: zcrito on 10/22/05 at 2:07 pm

Aw, zcrito, thanks for the thoughtful commentary, and for showing such restraint in using the word only four times in your own post.  Given such authentic concern for the damage that word can cause, I can only imagine how painful it must have been for you to make the effort to circumvent the censor so you could display as much of it as possible.  But thank you for taking the trouble to do that, as emotionally painful as it must have been.  I mean, the 'greater good', and all that.  After all, people of good will may disagree on strategy, but they seek the same end, right?
;)

Emotionally painful? No, it was easy typing it out -- twice actually.

Do I think it's a severely offensive word? NO. It's no worse than some of the other words we throw at some people. People can call themselves or anyone else whatever they like, just make sure they remember who's doing it and spare me the victim garbage later on.

Kanye West ** is an idiot.  I don't like him, and I don't like his first name. Did you catch my Kanye West joke?

** But I do so like his last CD/album's cover "The College Dropout" (seriously).

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/22/05 at 2:10 pm

Civility, people, civility.  I notice a lot of venom on this thread.  We should all be here for fun--and possible edification.  Robust debate is good cerebral exercise, but let's keep it in the realm of debate, not pokes-in-the-eye!

I am civil, dammit!

Written By: Tia on 10/22/05 at 4:12 pm

in speaking of race and bigotry and all that...

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1231684&page=1

that's just plain WEIRD.

"Oct. 20, 2005 —  Thirteen-year-old twins Lamb and Lynx Gaede have one album out, another on the way, a music video, and lots of fans.

"They may remind you another famous pair of singers, the Olsen Twins, and the girls say they like that. But unlike the Olsens, who built a media empire on their fun-loving, squeaky-clean image, Lamb and Lynx are cultivating a much darker personna. They are white nationalists and use their talents to preach a message of hate. "

Written By: danootaandme on 10/22/05 at 4:38 pm

that's just plain WEIRD.

"Oct. 20, 2005 —  Thirteen-year-old twins Lamb and Lynx Gaede have one album out, another on the way, a music video, and lots of fans.

"They may remind you another famous pair of singers, the Olsen Twins, and the girls say they like that. But unlike the Olsens, who built a media empire on their fun-loving, squeaky-clean image, Lamb and Lynx are cultivating a much darker personna. They are white nationalists and use their talents to preach a message of hate. "

I saw them on TV last night.  Sick, sad, sorry excuses for parents I would say.  We can only hope
that kids who are raised in that cult like atmosphere will one day see how wrong it all is.  But I won't
hold my breath on it, it is too easy to pump yourself up for arbitrary reasons, such as by virtue of
birth, than to actually do it by your own accomplishments.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 9:54 pm

that's just plain WEIRD.

Lamb and Lynx?  If you're gonna name your twins Lamb and Lynx, you better push 'em into show business, because otherwise...

Written By: McDonald on 10/23/05 at 2:28 pm

You think I'm full of crap? Big deal! You haven't given any reasons why what I've said is crap, you simply stated what you believe to be the universally accepted truth and included some comment about Kanye West, who really has little if anything at all to do with this. Well done.

Do I think it's a severely offensive word? NO.

Now THAT'S full of crap!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/05 at 2:55 pm

Emotionally painful? No, it was easy typing it out -- twice actually.

Do I think it's a severely offensive word? NO. It's no worse than some of the other words we throw at some people. People can call themselves or anyone else whatever they like, just make sure they remember who's doing it and spare me the victim garbage later on.

You just don't seem to get it.  It is a severely offensive word with a singular history to it.  In this regard you
seem to be the only person here that doesn't know, or will not acknowledge that. I like to point to the story of Ty Cobb who jumped into the stands and severely beat a man in a wheelchair because the man called him the word that you do not believe to be severely offensive.  The judge in the case dismissed the case against Cobb because he felt that the man had used sufficient provocation, and Cobb was basically within his rights.  We all know that Cobb was not shy about using the word, to people who were not able to so much as lift their eyes and look him in the face, but pity the fool who would use it on him.  Lest you say that that was along time ago, it was used in the same way well within my lifetime, and I am sure their are still circumstances where that is still true. 
What has happened is that the people who were subjected to this treatment, and that word, have taken possession of the word, you could say we own it, and in this way we are diffusing its power, in our own way, in our own time.

Written By: McDonald on 10/23/05 at 3:02 pm

What has happened is that the people who were subjected to this treatment, and that word, have taken possession of the word, you could say we own it, and in this way we are diffusing its power, in our own way, in our own time.

I just wanted to single this statement out. If anyone should remember anything written about this topic on this thread, this should be it.

Written By: zcrito on 10/23/05 at 4:31 pm

You just don't seem to get it.  It is a severely offensive word with a singular history to it.  In this regard you
seem to be the only person here that doesn't know, or will not acknowledge that. I like to point to the story of Ty Cobb who jumped into the stands and severely beat a man in a wheelchair because the man called him the word that you do not believe to be severely offensive.  The judge in the case dismissed the case against Cobb because he felt that the man had used sufficient provocation, and Cobb was basically within his rights.  We all know that Cobb was not shy about using the word, to people who were not able to so much as lift their eyes and look him in the face, but pity the fool who would use it on him.  Lest you say that that was along time ago, it was used in the same way well within my lifetime, and I am sure their are still circumstances where that is still true. 

Oh! I get what you're saying. I just don't agree.

And your Ty Cobb story doesn't quite match up with what I found...

These incidents pale in comparison with what happened at Hilltop Park in New York in May 1912, and what that episode triggered. A fan whom Cobb recognized as a regular heckler was sitting behind the Tigers' dugout verbally abusing Cobb. He and Cobb traded insults for a while, but Cobb wanted to avoid trouble, so he stayed in center field carriage park area during the second inning. In the third, he went by the New York dugout to look for the owner to ask to have the fan removed. When he got back to the Tigers' bench, he yelled something to the fan about his sister. The fan, Claude Lueker, responded to Cobb by calling him a "half-******." Sam Crawford asked Cobb if he would take that from the fan, at which point Cobb charged twelve rows into the stands and began to beat the fan vigorously.

It was at this point that people alerted Cobb to Lueker's handicap—he had lost three fingers on one hand and all of his other hand in an industrial accident. Police pulled Cobb off Lueker, and he was ejected...

http://wso.williams.edu/~jkossuth/cobb/race.htm

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/05 at 5:51 pm

Oh! I get what you're saying. I just don't agree.

And your Ty Cobb story doesn't quite match up with what I found...

These incidents pale in comparison with what happened at Hilltop Park in New York in May 1912, and what that episode triggered. A fan whom Cobb recognized as a regular heckler was sitting behind the Tigers' dugout verbally abusing Cobb. He and Cobb traded insults for a while, but Cobb wanted to avoid trouble, so he stayed in center field carriage park area during the second inning. In the third, he went by the New York dugout to look for the owner to ask to have the fan removed. When he got back to the Tigers' bench, he yelled something to the fan about his sister. The fan, Claude Lueker, responded to Cobb by calling him a "half-******." Sam Crawford asked Cobb if he would take that from the fan, at which point Cobb charged twelve rows into the stands and began to beat the fan vigorously.

It was at this point that people alerted Cobb to Lueker's handicap—he had lost three fingers on one hand and all of his other hand in an industrial accident. Police pulled Cobb off Lueker, and he was ejected...

http://wso.williams.edu/~jkossuth/cobb/race.htm

I stand corrected on the wheelchair, it is how I had heard the story.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/23/05 at 6:00 pm

Xcrito, are you upset that she mentioned the man was in a wheelchair or that he was called something he didn't want to be called?

Written By: zcrito on 10/24/05 at 4:38 am

Xcrito, are you upset that she mentioned the man was in a wheelchair or that he was called something he didn't want to be called?

Neither. I'm just surprised she mentioned Ty Cobb and that really odd example. I know more about Ty Cobb that I care to. Athletes were treated different back then I guess, even when they acted like idiots. 

As for being "upset", not me.

(Xcrito ?)

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/24/05 at 10:38 am

Neither. I'm just surprised she mentioned Ty Cobb and that really odd example. I know more about Ty Cobb that I care to. Athletes were treated different back then I guess, even when they acted like idiots. 

(Xcrito ?)

That's an odd example?  A judge ruled that having that term used 'against' you was sufficient provocation to beat the crap out of a wheelchair-bound amputee.  Hello.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/24/05 at 12:04 pm

(Xcrito ?)

sorry, love. Mistyped, not personal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/24/05 at 9:13 pm

that's just plain WEIRD.

First I thought it was Jenna and Barbara ten years ago!

Then I saw the photo of them with Hitlerized smiley-face t-shirts, and I thought it must be a sick joke, and those responsible ought not to be exploiting 13-year-olds to pull off a sick joke.  But apparently, their old man is dead serious (yeah, seriously sicko).  He uses a swastika to brand his cows.
:o

Nazism: You have two cows, the government takes them both and shoots you!
(from one of the countless variations of the "two cows" parables, can't find this one in particular, but here's a link to another--
http://www.econ.unt.edu/elopez/TwoCows.htm )

Anyway, I don't think it's the government's business in a free society to tell pop he can't brand his cows with a swastika or promote white supremecy, but in light of what just happened in Toledo, I think a cease and desist order is warranted on the use of his daughters via the "child endangerment" statute.

Written By: Tia on 10/25/05 at 5:40 am

it's funny, you wanna do something because it's so obviously sick and misguided, with the fraulein olsen twins of the SS, but i guess there's nothing you can really do about it. you can't take the kids away from their parents because that's not what a free society's about. you just have to make this the kind of society where people like that are marginalized. unfortunately they're getting a lot of "news of the weird" type attention (from, not least, me, i guess, since i posted that link).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/05 at 1:08 pm

it's funny, you wanna do something because it's so obviously sick and misguided, with the fraulein olsen twins of the SS, but i guess there's nothing you can really do about it. you can't take the kids away from their parents because that's not what a free society's about. you just have to make this the kind of society where people like that are marginalized. unfortunately they're getting a lot of "news of the weird" type attention (from, not least, me, i guess, since i posted that link).

They shouldn't take the kids away just on the grounds presented, but they order them to stop using minors to promote their hateful message on the grounds that it may cause physical and psychological harm to the kids.

Check for new replies or respond here...