» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Opinions On Bush's Address To The Nation

Written By: Hairspray on 09/16/05 at 9:38 am

My feeling while watching was that his speech writer did the best he could to make Bush look like he's now actually ready to "make up" for his and his administration’s enormous failures with respect to the, first, completely absent and then slow as molasses response in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

It seemed to me that Bush made sure to list some specifics to possibly dispel any possible criticisms that he's telling the nation what it wants to hear.

I really do think he's trying very hard to change the nation's largely negative view of him as commander in chief into a more positive light.

It's very hard for me to give him the benefit of the doubt after he's done so much to bungle the presidency, the nation and its people.

In reference to this particular segment of Bush's speech:

I also want to know all the facts about the government response to Hurricane Katrina. The storm involved a massive flood, a major supply and security operation, and an evacuation order affecting more than a million people. It was not a normal hurricane – and the normal disaster relief system was not equal to it. Many of the men and women of the Coast Guard, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the United States military, the National Guard, Homeland Security, and state and local governments performed skillfully under the worst conditions. Yet the system, at every level of government, was not well coordinated, and was overwhelmed in the first few days. It is now clear that a challenge on this scale requires greater federal authority and a broader role for the armed forces – the institution of our government most capable of massive logistical operations on a moment’s notice.

Four years after the frightening experience of September 11th, Americans have every right to expect a more effective response in a time of emergency. When the federal government fails to meet such an obligation, I as President am responsible for the problem, and for the solution. So I have ordered every Cabinet secretary to participate in a comprehensive review of the government response to the hurricane. This government will learn the lessons of Hurricane Katrina. We are going to review every action and make necessary changes, so that we are better prepared for any challenge of nature, or act of evil men, that could threaten our people.

The United States Congress also has an important oversight function to perform. Congress is preparing an investigation, and I will work with members of both parties to make sure this effort is thorough.

As far as that very last line - In essence, Bush will "work" to investigate himself.

GOP leaders agree to joint Katrina hearings

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/07/katrina.congress/index.html/

"Lastly, the American people deserve to know the truth about how their government prepared for, and responded to, this crisis. That is why Democrats continue to call for a 9/11-type independent investigation of the government's response. The Bush Administration and the Republican Congress should not investigate themselves, and partisanship has no place in this inquiry. - House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California

I agree with these reactions:

In a joint response after the president's speech, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California and Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said the president must do more than offer comforting words.

"It takes more than just taking responsibility to right the many wrongs that occurred over the past two weeks. The American people need answers from independent experts outside of the political arena to learn from the past and prepare and protect our nation and our communities for the future. We can and must do better," they said in a written statement.

"No American doubts that New Orleans will rise again, they doubt the competence and commitment of this administration," added Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. "Americans want to know that their government will be there when it counts with leadership that keeps them safe, not speeches in the aftermath to explain away the inexcusable."

As far as Bush's proposals and such, I guess it all remains to be seen.

Subject: Re: Opinions On Bush's Address To The Nation

Written By: Harmonica on 09/16/05 at 11:09 am

Clap clap clap clap clap

"Good evening"  clap clap clap clap clap clap clap "ah choo" clap clap clap clap clap clap clap "excuse me" clap clap clap clap clap clap clap "(clears throat)" clap clap clap clap clap clap clap.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/05 at 12:03 pm

Oh yeah, his speech sounded really good (until he brought up the subject of terrorists, which IMO had absolutely nothing to do with rebuilding N.O.). But, knowing how this guy has lied and lied again I am very skeptical of ANYTHING he says.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/16/05 at 3:22 pm

Yadda,yadda,yadda  yeahyeahsuresure

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/16/05 at 4:36 pm

Oh yeah, his speech sounded really good (until he brought up the subject of terrorists, which IMO had absolutely nothing to do with rebuilding N.O.). But, knowing how this guy has lied and lied again I am very skeptical of ANYTHING he says.

Cat

Yadda,yadda,yadda yeahyeahsuresure

Oh ye of little faith!

Our fearless (little) leader has spoken, and thus will the truth be known.  New Orleans WILL rise like the pheonix from the ashes (or crud etc) and we we all bow down to the one man who made it happen - our beloved "Lil' Georgie.  Praise the lord.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/05 at 8:20 pm

Oh ye of little faith!

Our fearless (little) leader has spoken, and thus will the truth be known.  New Orleans WILL rise like the pheonix from the ashes (or crud etc) and we we all bow down to the one man who made it happen - our beloved "Lil' Georgie.  Praise the lord.

Phoenix is in Arizona, silly!
"I love California.  I grew up in Phoenix."
--Dan Qualye

Yadda,yadda,yadda  yeahyeahsuresure

My sediments exactly.  I see no reason to believe a dang thing that man says.  I'm watching and waiting for actions, no words.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/17/05 at 11:03 am

Phoenix is in Arizona, silly!
"I love California.  I grew up in Phoenix."
--Dan Qualye

LMAO!!!

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...