» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Delay Has Been Indicted

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/28/05 at 1:39 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/20050928/ap_on_go_co/delay_investigation_20

YAY!!!!!

Cat

Subject: Re: Delay Has Been Indicted

Written By: Harmonica on 09/28/05 at 2:17 pm

The day's of liberal wrong doings are ahead, just wait.  Bill Clinton and his scandal with Lewinski, was only the beggining.

But gotta say yea! on Delay, no person should pull conspiracy's.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/28/05 at 2:57 pm

The day's of liberal wrong doings are ahead, just wait.  Bill Clinton and his scandal with Lewinski, was only the beggining.

What, in the name of Mary, Joseph and Jesus, does Bill Clinton's sexual piccadillos have to do with conspiracy to subvert democracy?  What is the point of vague innuendos about "liberal wrongdoing"?

Tom DeLay and his crowd are the biggest bunch of hypocrites going.  I hope thius is just the beginning (with 1 "g" & 2 "n"s - sorry for that)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/05 at 3:06 pm

Meh, he'll weasel his way out of it 'coz they're all crooks, the whole gaggle of them in the Congressional leadership.
I expected nothing more from the likes of Roy Blunt and Scott McClellan...and Bill Frist? Gimme an effin' break!
Now we're gonna get David Dreier as majority leader.  Hooray, hooray!
::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/05 at 5:08 pm

FOX News, Fair and Balanced, sure isn't treating DeLay with kid gloves:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200504210002

The Right always says how much they hate defense attorneys...I wonder how they feel about
Dick Degeurin?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/28/05 at 6:29 pm

;D ;D ;D  When I first read this, I read it as Daley and I was thinking....funny, this hasn't been on the news here...how did someone in Vermont hear of this before someone in Chicagoland ??? :D

Yeah, we have the scoop on him, didn't you know that?  ;) 

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/05 at 12:10 am

Anybody else see the Brit Hume interview with DeLay yesterday?  It was shameless one-sided, biased, brown-nosing political pandering.
Unless the Right goes after Hume, the forfeit all rights to point fingers at Dan Rather, the New York Times, NPR, Al Franken, or anybody else.
Shameless, absolutely ****ing shameless.  Why does the right-wing media do this?  Because they run the media, the run the country, they run the minds of a plurality of American dumb*sses.  They Right are not victims of anybody, they are bullies, tyrants, and laughing hyenas.  May they all rot in hell.

Written By: McDonald on 09/29/05 at 2:50 pm

Clinton's scandal was a joke... with a $50 million punch-line, thanks to the ravenous Republican hounds that were so determined to bring him down (and who failed).

The Republicans just happen to be having a leadership CRISIS right now, what with Delay, Frist, and Rove all potentially facing criminal charges. And you know, I am enjoying every savoury minute of it all. Meanwhile, however, there's a national crisis (you remember New Orleans and the surrounding areas?) and the best that could possibly come out of it is the fact that the larger crisis of poverty in this country is being thrown into the view of the public to where they can no longer deny that it's a problem. We'll see what gets done about that. But I'm no fool... I have eyes and ears and I do live in the epicentre of American Republicanism after all... and all I hear day after day is people badmouthing the poor in New Orleans left-overs, saying that they're just a bunch of whiners and it's their own fault for not leaving the city (for being too poor to leave).

I honestly am so disgusted at this point that YES, I really think that I am entitled to the sardonic enjoyment I get out of watching these fascist pigs fry. And if you can find any Democrats that are up to the same calibre of no-good, throw them on the barbie as well!

Written By: McDonald on 09/29/05 at 2:52 pm

Anybody else see the Brit Hume interview with DeLay yesterday?  It was shameless one-sided, biased, brown-nosing political pandering.
Unless the Right goes after Hume, the forfeit all rights to point fingers at Dan Rather, the New York Times, NPR, Al Franken, or anybody else.
Shameless, absolutely ****ing shameless.  Why does the right-wing media do this?  Because they run the media, the run the country, they run the minds of a plurality of American dumb*sses.  They Right are not victims of anybody, they are bullies, tyrants, and laughing hyenas.  May they all rot in hell.

I concur!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/05 at 3:09 pm

Clinton's scandal was a joke... with a $50 million punch-line, thanks to the ravenous Republican hounds that were so determined to bring him down (and who failed).

The Republicans just happen to be having a leadership CRISIS right now, what with Delay, Frist, and Rove all potentially facing criminal charges. And you know, I am enjoying every savoury minute of it all. Meanwhile, however, there's a national crisis (you remember New Orleans and the surrounding areas?) and the best that could possibly come out of it is the fact that the larger crisis of poverty in this country is being thrown into the view of the public to where they can no longer deny that it's a problem. We'll see what gets done about that. But I'm no fool... I have eyes and ears and I do live in the epicentre of American Republicanism after all... and all I hear day after day is people badmouthing the poor in New Orleans left-overs, saying that they're just a bunch of whiners and it's their own fault for not leaving the city (for being too poor to leave).

I honestly am so disgusted at this point that YES, I really think that I am entitled to the sardonic enjoyment I get out of watching these fascist pigs fry. And if you can find any Democrats that are up to the same calibre of no-good, throw them on the barbie as well!

I wish these fascist pigs would fry, but you know Rove and co.  They'll not only save their own hides, they'll kill off a bunch of the opposition in the meantime.  I think the Dems still don't get how dangerous these mofos are.  The Dems are truly going to have to become the opposition party if they don't want to die a slow death.  Choose the strategies that the political pundits say will sink the party and head for them full speed.  The so-called experts keep telling the Dems they mustn't talk about race, they mustn't mention class, the must "move to the center," they must appeal to "middle America."  Every time they do, they lose!  The Dems need to stop wooing the corporate elite and the evangelical yahoos.  Those guys belong to the GOP.  They need to start rabble-rousing.  They need to talk less like Joe Lieberman and more like Malcolm X! 
They GOP is going to hang this little Ronnie Earle prosecuter out to dry.  Rove and DeLay eat punks like him for breakfast.  Earle isn't going to even slow the juggernaut down. It's the Democratic party leadership that has to get the cajones to be the party of the people, instead of Republican-Lite!  As Bill Mahar points out, there were 79 million eligable voters who didn't vote in 2004.  The Dems need to go "fishing in that pool" instead of pandering to constiuencies already sewn up by the Repugs.

I dunno, I thought Ronnie Earle was a country singer anyway!
::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/29/05 at 8:07 pm

It's fun to watch them try and spin it though isn't it?  Delay cries that it's a Democrat prosecuter, and then we find out this proescuter has indited 11 Democrats out of 15 politicans he's charged in his career.  Now the right is trying to say he wasn't involved.

YET

The statue of limitations has already expired on the charges.  3 years on this issue, and it occured in 2001.  This means he waived his  rights on that.  Which in turn means it's likely this is a plea bargin on his part to avoid revealing involvement in a bigger scandal.  He'll skate away on a minor charge, and the rest of his pals get some harsher punishment.  I'm sure they'll all be employed later as consultants anyways.

The only backbone shown by the Republicans (and it's not much, since it's more of a saving face move) was to reinstate the rule requiring him to step aside when indited.

Frist is the one that disgusts me more.  He made plenty of money on his insider trading, and you know, that no matter how guilty he might be, his punishment will be nowhere near the level that Martha Stewart's was.  There's already evidence that most of the major shareholders cashed out around the same time.  Unless they had a sell order for a certain price in place months in advance, the fact they did it 7 days before a major announcement is VERY suspect. Generally to avoid charges of insider trading, you need to disclose a major sale of stock weeks if not months in advance if you're currently employed by the company.  It has to be cleared by the board, etc.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/30/05 at 4:33 pm

It's fun to watch them try and spin it though isn't it?  Delay cries that it's a Democrat prosecuter, and then we find out this proescuter has indited 11 Democrats out of 15 politicans he's charged in his career.  Now the right is trying to say he wasn't involved.

YET

The statue of limitations has already expired on the charges.  3 years on this issue, and it occured in 2001.  This means he waived his  rights on that.  Which in turn means it's likely this is a plea bargin on his part to avoid revealing involvement in a bigger scandal.  He'll skate away on a minor charge, and the rest of his pals get some harsher punishment.  I'm sure they'll all be employed later as consultants anyways.

The only backbone shown by the Republicans (and it's not much, since it's more of a saving face move) was to reinstate the rule requiring him to step aside when indited.

Frist is the one that disgusts me more.  He made plenty of money on his insider trading, and you know, that no matter how guilty he might be, his punishment will be nowhere near the level that Martha Stewart's was.  There's already evidence that most of the major shareholders cashed out around the same time.  Unless they had a sell order for a certain price in place months in advance, the fact they did it 7 days before a major announcement is VERY suspect. Generally to avoid charges of insider trading, you need to disclose a major sale of stock weeks if not months in advance if you're currently employed by the company.  It has to be cleared by the board, etc.

As long as DeLay goes down...

As long as Rove goes down...

As long as Frist goes down...

I don't care if its for jay-walking. 

Althouth the more  serious the crime they go down for, the better.

Written By: saver on 09/30/05 at 8:48 pm

Okay, I'll bite..WHAT(?) was he indicted for?

They must name their charges,...so...what are they?

Written By: Brian Damaged on 10/01/05 at 1:47 am

Pick up a newspaper once in a while.

Written By: saver on 10/01/05 at 3:12 am

Sorry but the papers I have seen have NOT listed anything as to what he is indicted for - which is why he is laughing at the charges..By just saying he is indicted, does NOT list what he may or may not have done...they threw the INDICTMENT at him because when someone is indicted, they cannot further participate in their regular work until it is settled...just a cheap move for the prosecutors to delay any of Delays business.

What charges have you heard they are accusing him of? 

It's reeks of politics, yep see the prosecutors records..all he was able to say regarding it was, Delays been indicted, and my job it to uphold the law and prosecute! OK for what..oh, it's being worked on(basically saying something will come up), until then, Delays hands are tied in the muck.

Nice  move... 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/05 at 4:00 am

Sorry but the papers I have seen have NOT listed anything as to what he is indicted for - which is why he is laughing at the charges..By just saying he is indicted, does NOT list what he may or may not have done...they threw the INDICTMENT at him because when someone is indicted, they cannot further participate in their regular work until it is settled...just a cheap move for the prosecutors to delay any of Delays business.

What charges have you heard they are accusing him of?   

It's reeks of politics, yep see the prosecutors records..all he was able to say regarding it was, Delays been indicted, and my job it to uphold the law and prosecute! OK for what..oh, it's being worked on(basically saying something will come up), until then, Delays hands are tied in the muck.

Nice  move... 

Rep. Tom DeLay was indicted for illegally accepting corporate campaign contributions.  He was also indicted for illegally laundering corporate funds through the Republican National State Elections Committee.  He is also likely to be indicted for a series of foreign trips illegally paid for by lobbyists.

Do you know google.com?  Google is your friend. Here is the first result from a Google search for "tom delay," "indicted," "pac," and "money."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/08/AR2005090800973.html

Just "tom delay" and "indicted" gets you this article, the first of about 1.3 million hits.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/28/AR2005092800270.html

Written By: saver on 10/01/05 at 5:29 am

Okay..caught up to speed with the news stories posted..My info came from an interview either Delay or his Lawyer was giving on the ABC radio network..(I now am suspecting it was a reairing of an earlier interview) as I specifically heard the interviewee ssay all that I said about nt seeing any reasons given...

With that siad and acknowledged..what are the posters here saying..guilty or not?

As I won't be in the court and won't read accounts from the political pundants, I will just hope the if they have something on him, justice is served.

Thanks Maxwell for the forwardings.

As far as Google or ANY computers..I don't believe everything on them..and papers.. uh,...remember the NY TIMES and the MADE UP STORIES...I try to listen more than read the flood of stories out there.

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/01/05 at 2:26 pm

they should indict all of congress.  the only thing Delay did differently was get caught. 

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/05 at 3:35 pm

I think DeLay did it and has gotten caught.  Yes, alot of them do it, but then a lot of them were having illicit sex while impeaching Clinton.  Payback is a bitch and now some of the guys who threw their weight around in bushs first term and getting their come uppance now that he is a lame duck.  They screwed around with too many in their own party, that was the biggest mistake.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/01/05 at 3:42 pm

I think DeLay is guilty of the charges, and probably much much more.  Hopefully his Texas jury will bring the hammer down.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/01/05 at 10:39 pm

Anybody else see the Brit Hume interview with DeLay yesterday? It was shameless one-sided, biased, brown-nosing political pandering.
Shameless, absolutely ****ing shameless. Why does the right-wing media do this? Because they run the media, the run the country, they run the minds of a plurality of American dumb*sses. They Right are not victims of anybody, they are bullies, tyrants, and laughing hyenas. May they all rot in hell.
The Republicans are trying to destroy democracy and put in a Grand Old Party dictatorship...with George W. as the tin god....
And Fox News Channel is aiding the effort!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/01/05 at 10:48 pm

Welcome to the Big Brother goverment, where Big Brother aka George W. Bush and the Republican Party are in control, Christianity is the only respected religion, everyone gets to eat hot dogs and apple pie, ketchup is a vegetable, lying is okay if you are an elected official...and GWB and Homeland Security watch every move you make,everything you read, the music you listen to, the TV shows and movies you watch..Yep, Orwell was right!

(sarcasm meant I hate the Bush Administration to its dirty rotten core!)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/01/05 at 10:52 pm

To Tom DeLay:
1)open mouth
2) insert foot
3)leave foot in mouth and choke on it...

He might as well do the above..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/05 at 12:49 am

To Tom DeLay:
1)open mouth
2) insert foot
3)leave foot in mouth and choke on it...

He might as well do the above..

Here, Here!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/05 at 12:54 am

Start cutting the pockets out of Tommy's suits and he'll tell you anything!
;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 5:01 pm

Welcome to the Big Brother goverment, where Big Brother aka George W. Bush and the Republican Party are in control, Christianity is the only respected religion, everyone gets to eat hot dogs and apple pie, ketchup is a vegetable, lying is okay if you are an elected official...and GWB and Homeland Security watch every move you make,everything you read, the music you listen to, the TV shows and movies you watch..Yep, Orwell was right!

(sarcasm meant I hate the Bush Administration to its dirty rotten core!)

God forbid this will not happen, but it could.

I really hope that DeLay's is just the first in a long line of indictments.  Next, Rove and "Scooter", then maybe Cheney, Wolfowitz, Pearle,  and who knows, Lil' Georgie could follow. 

If I'm wrong, and get arrested for reading Marx, I hope you will post my bail  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/05 at 11:57 pm

they should indict all of congress.  the only thing Delay did differently was get caught. 

Same with Clinton!
;)
I think with Congress there should be a huge moat of crocdiles, and at the end of each term, we get to vote on whether to pay 'em, or throw 'em to the crocodiles!
Think that might help weed out some of slow-jerky committee-run hogwash?  We need to up their salaries and and their accountability.  I mean, you vote them in for four year terms, you say "The people want things X,Y, and Z done.  You get them down, we'll pay 5 mil.  You don't, you're crocodile sushi!"  That's how to get the ineffeciencies out of Washington, man!

Written By: McDonald on 10/03/05 at 10:52 am

I saw DeLay on the local news yesterday in a Fox News clip where he was spouting the most hateful disgusting sh*t I have ever heard. Having the nerve to say that Democrats are the power-hungry "party of no" among other things. I noticed how not once did he try to offer any proof that he's innocent... His strategy: just trying to villify the entire Democratic party until he's blue in the face. What a disgusting, rotten pig. I wanted to vomit when I saw this. He's doing what the school bully does once he's been caught red-handed.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/05 at 11:00 am

I saw DeLay on the local news yesterday in a Fox News clip where he was spouting the most hateful disgusting sh*t I have ever heard. Having the nerve to say that Democrats are the power-hungry "party of no" among other things. I noticed how not once did he try to offer any proof that he's innocent... His strategy: just trying to villify the entire Democratic party until he's blue in the face. What a disgusting, rotten pig. I wanted to vomit when I saw this. He's doing what the school bully does once he's been caught red-handed.

That's what they all do. Try to villify the "other side". How many times have we heard (on this board alone) when someone mentions what Bush did, the answer always seem to be "Clinton".

Cat

Subject: DeLay as I see it:

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/05 at 12:04 pm

Yes, yes I agree with you entirely!

There's just one thing, the "Democrats" are dying because they have nothing to say for themselves.  You can't fight a fair fight when one side understands ruthlessness is a virtue, and the other doesn't.  The Dems have a hard time coming out with any solutions that might make them look less like Republicans because they are afraid of name-calling.  That's right.  If the Dems ever bring up universal healthcare, or something like that, they get assailed as "socialist," "extremist," "far-left," "elitist," "out-of-touch-with-the-American People," and "appeasers."  I mean, that's the reason they don't want to do what the country needs...because the other guys will say stuff!
Back in the '70s people laughed at evangelical Christans as "Jesus freaks."  Evangelicals kept it up no matter how many people laughed at them!  You know why?  Because they said, "I don't care how many sinners don't get the Word; I'm saying what I'm saying because it's what I believe."  No one finds Evangelicals a laughing matter now!
That's why there's no give with this Rep. Tom DeLay, because he's rock solid in what he believes.  Corrupt, criminal, conniving, creepy?  That's up to you to decide, and the rest is between him and Jesus." 
Unfortunately, for guys like Ralph Nader and Paul Krugman, , Americans are not sold on analylitical studies, charts and graphs, facts and figures, and wry humor.  If they were, the would have voted for Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, and Kerry in far greater numbers.  Americans want to know....what's this guy's character, what kind of man is he?"  Then ultimately,"Is he making right with the Lord?"
They're not looking for character like Mark Twain or William Faulkner.  The question is not, "What's his racket; what makes him tick?"  The question is, "Is he safe for us and our prejudices?" 
My guess is that other Democrats have said something about a candidate  like, "Yeah, he's kind of a weenie, but he's got good policy ideas."  A Republican voter doesn't do that.  No matter how anathema the candidate's platform is to your health and security, if he has rock-solid moral convictions, he's in!  I mean, he doesn't really even have to moral, he just has to say he has "family values." 
Tom DeLay is a criminal.  Who cares?  He cut my taxes and and he's pro-life.  If he did what he did to get more Republicans elected, then what he's doing is for the greater good.  That's how too many Americans think.  It's not about numbers and logic.
Bill Clinton and Tom DeLay both act guilty.  However, the way DeLay is acting, his countenance let's on he knows he's gulty, but he's never gonna give any quarter.  That appeals to Americans in another way-- "He's not a snitch, he's not a sell-out, he's a good old boy like one of us."  Clinton ran around on his wife.  That's diiiiirtyyyyy!!!!
Guys like Tom DeLay and Ken Lay, they're good family men.  All they did was fudge around with some numbers at work.  Who wouldn't?  Inside they're guys like us--like George W. Bush--so they're  safe.  Nothing weird's gonna happen.  No icky stuff."
Entire swaths of White America think that way.  Even if the present affairs are detrimental to their lives, they fear change.  They're sentimentalist, like Reagan, for some halcyon American age d'or.  If only we lived in Mayfield or Mayberry, the economy would be healthy, the "minorities" wouldn't be a nusiance, and the poverty and suffering of the rest of humanity would not have to cross our minds."  I guess your ultimate Republican presidential candidate would be a cross between Andy Griffith and Ward Cleaver, with John Wayne thrown in there for tough.  Who's that you say?  Ronald Reagan!
The Dems have yet to sell any wholesome rectitude to the American people.  That's why Air America cannot succeed.  You have to be rather cerebral to go be satisfied with the spoof and gotcha tactics of an Al Franken or a Michael Moore.  This Republican swath of the white non-rich needs to feel there is a right side and a wrong side, and, by gum, WE'RE on the right side!  The Left is based around political science and abstract ideologies.  The Right is based around family and God.  If I sound like Michael Medved, I'm sorry.  The Right's allegiance to the family and God is never manifested by the results of their policies.  That's what your Michael Medveds and Bill Bennetts can't admit.  But it still doesn't matter.  Liberals point and say, "see, it doesn't work."  But the liberals still don't have God.  To believers in God, God is real, not an idea."  To believers in Marxism, Marxism is still an idea. 
What I didn't understand for most of my life is I was acculturated with "God" as an idea.  My people were fine with ideas, an idea was just as real as God to us.  However, to Americans who grew up with "God" as implacable as the mountains, a politician who does not affirm God as real is himself a heathen."
Tom DeLay is a crook.  But he's not a heathen.

Anyway, that's my rant!
:)

Sorry about the exclusive use of only the masculine pronoun in this post.  All that "he or she," "him or her" business interrupts the flow, you know?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/04/05 at 12:37 pm

I honestly think DeLay will either:
Get a slap on the wrist,figuratively
or
Get off scot-free.....
like so many other politicians, tycoons, or rich and famous people...like OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson, and lest we forget, the late 'exonerated by Gerald Ford' Richard Nixon!!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/04/05 at 12:47 pm

I honestly think DeLay will either:
Get a slap on the wrist,figuratively
or
Get off scot-free.....
like so many other politicians, tycoons, or rich and famous people...like OJ Simpson and Michael Jackson, and lest we forget, the late 'exonerated by Gerald Ford' Richard Nixon!!

You could be right, but Nixon was pardoned for the crimes he committed, not exonerated.

Subject: Re: DeLay as I see it:

Written By: McDonald on 10/04/05 at 1:25 pm

Yes, yes I agree with you entirely!

There's just one thing, the "Democrats" are dying because they have nothing to say for themselves.  You can't fight a fair fight when one side understands ruthlessness is a virtue, and the other doesn't.  The Dems have a hard time coming out with any solutions that might make them look less like Republicans because they are afraid of name-calling.  That's right.  If the Dems ever bring up universal healthcare, or something like that, they get assailed as "socialist," "extremist," "far-left," "elitist," "out-of-touch-with-the-American People," and "appeasers."  I mean, that's the reason they don't want to do what the country needs...because the other guys will say stuff!
Back in the '70s people laughed at evangelical Christans as "Jesus freaks."  Evangelicals kept it up no matter how many people laughed at them!  You know why?  Because they said, "I don't care how many sinners don't get the Word; I'm saying what I'm saying because it's what I believe."  No one finds Evangelicals a laughing matter now!
That's why there's no give with this Rep. Tom DeLay, because he's rock solid in what he believes.   Corrupt, criminal, conniving, creepy?  That's up to you to decide, and the rest is between him and Jesus." 
Unfortunately, for guys like Ralph Nader and Paul Krugman, , Americans are not sold on analylitical studies, charts and graphs, facts and figures, and wry humor.  If they were, the would have voted for Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, and Kerry in far greater numbers.  Americans want to know....what's this guy's character, what kind of man is he?"  Then ultimately,"Is he making right with the Lord?"
They're not looking for character like Mark Twain or William Faulkner.  The question is not, "What's his racket; what makes him tick?"  The question is, "Is he safe for us and our prejudices?" 
My guess is that other Democrats have said something about a candidate  like, "Yeah, he's kind of a weenie, but he's got good policy ideas."  A Republican voter doesn't do that.  No matter how anathema the candidate's platform is to your health and security, if he has rock-solid moral convictions, he's in!  I mean, he doesn't really even have to moral, he just has to say he has "family values." 
Tom DeLay is a criminal.  Who cares?  He cut my taxes and and he's pro-life.  If he did what he did to get more Republicans elected, then what he's doing is for the greater good.  That's how too many Americans think.  It's not about numbers and logic.
Bill Clinton and Tom DeLay both act guilty.  However, the way DeLay is acting, his countenance let's on he knows he's gulty, but he's never gonna give any quarter.  That appeals to Americans in another way-- "He's not a snitch, he's not a sell-out, he's a good old boy like one of us."  Clinton ran around on his wife.  That's diiiiirtyyyyy!!!!
Guys like Tom DeLay and Ken Lay, they're good family men.  All they did was fudge around with some numbers at work.  Who wouldn't?  Inside they're guys like us--like George W. Bush--so they're  safe.  Nothing weird's gonna happen.  No icky stuff."
Entire swaths of White America think that way.  Even if the present affairs are detrimental to their lives, they fear change.  They're sentimentalist, like Reagan, for some halcyon American age d'or.  If only we lived in Mayfield or Mayberry, the economy would be healthy, the "minorities" wouldn't be a nusiance, and the poverty and suffering of the rest of humanity would not have to cross our minds."  I guess your ultimate Republican presidential candidate would be a cross between Andy Griffith and Ward Cleaver, with John Wayne thrown in there for tough.  Who's that you say?  Ronald Reagan!
The Dems have yet to sell any wholesome rectitude to the American people.  That's why Air America cannot succeed.  You have to be rather cerebral to go be satisfied with the spoof and gotcha tactics of an Al Franken or a Michael Moore.  This Republican swath of the white non-rich needs to feel there is a right side and a wrong side, and, by gum, WE'RE on the right side!  The Left is based around political science and abstract ideologies.  The Right is based around family and God.  If I sound like Michael Medved, I'm sorry.  The Right's allegiance to the family and God is never manifested by the results of their policies.  That's what your Michael Medveds and Bill Bennetts can't admit.  But it still doesn't matter.  Liberals point and say, "see, it doesn't work."  But the liberals still don't have God.  To believers in God, God is real, not an idea."  To believers in Marxism, Marxism is still an idea. 
What I didn't understand for most of my life is I was acculturated with "God" as an idea.  My people were fine with ideas, an idea was just as real as God to us.  However, to Americans who grew up with "God" as implacable as the mountains, a politician who does not affirm God as real is himself a heathen."
Tom DeLay is a crook.  But he's not a heathen.

Anyway, that's my rant!
:)

Sorry about the exclusive use of only the masculine pronoun in this post.  All that "he or she," "him or her" business interrupts the flow, you know?

Dude, your rants are the major reason I remain a member of this board. I need them to keep my blood boiling about this stuff. Keep it up.

And technichally speaking, before the non-sexist language movement, it was grammatically correct to fall back on the masculine pronoun in cases of gender ambiguity. I say either way works fine.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/05/05 at 4:49 pm

Dude, your rants are the major reason I remain a member of this board. I need them to keep my blood boiling about this stuff. Keep it up.

And technichally speaking, before the non-sexist language movement, it was grammatically correct to fall back on the masculine pronoun in cases of gender ambiguity. I say either way works fine.

Want to keep your blood boiling, read Paul Krugman's The Unravaling of America.  He saw it all, he reported it all, as as you  might guess, he was ignored by all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/05 at 8:46 pm

Want to keep your blood boiling, read Paul Krugman's The Unravaling of America.  He saw it all, he reported it all, as as you  might guess, he was ignored by all.

He was denounced as an "elitist" because he writes for the NYT.  Never mind whether he's right or not. 
On "Meet The Press," Bill O'Reilly threw the most moronic hissy fit at Krugman while Russert just sat there with his trademark simper!

Check for new replies or respond here...