» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Putting your money where your mouth is

Written By: Mushroom on 09/29/05 at 10:36 am

Well, I guess there is one good thing about posting in here for the last 2 years or so, it has motivated me to get off my ass, and do some of the things that I have been talking about.

I am currently talking to the local National Guard recruiter.  It seems that there is a need for a 40 year old man with a bad knee.  Even though it was bad enough to make me get out of the Marines 12 years ago, it has improved enough for me to enter the NG.

And with 10 years experience in Infantry and Maintenance Management, I have skills that are needed.  Now I get to start putting my affairs in order, and see what and where I can do the most good.  Our local unit just returned from Mississippi, where they were helping people there after Katrina.  And they are always looking for people to volunteer to go to Iraq.

And yes, I am foolish/crazy/gungy/insane/motivated to do just that.

So for all the talk that a lot of people do in here, this is one "Conservative Republican" who is willing to put his money where his mouth is, and do something he thinks is right.

Subject: Re: Putting your money where your mouth is

Written By: Brian Damaged on 09/29/05 at 10:49 am

So for all the talk that a lot of people do in here, this is one "Conservative Republican" who is willing to put his money where his mouth is, and do something he thinks is right.

Congratulations. I will do whatever is left.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/05 at 12:00 pm

Well, I guess there is one good thing about posting in here for the last 2 years or so, it has motivated me to get off my ass, and do some of the things that I have been talking about.

I am currently talking to the local National Guard recruiter.  It seems that there is a need for a 40 year old man with a bad knee.  Even though it was bad enough to make me get out of the Marines 12 years ago, it has improved enough for me to enter the NG.

And with 10 years experience in Infantry and Maintenance Management, I have skills that are needed.  Now I get to start putting my affairs in order, and see what and where I can do the most good.  Our local unit just returned from Mississippi, where they were helping people there after Katrina.  And they are always looking for people to volunteer to go to Iraq.

I don't know what to say except WOW! I respect your decision. My way of thinking is that I have already done my time (and I thought you did, too). I am glad that I did serve but I am even happier that I am no longer in. Please keep us informed and also STAY SAFE!

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 09/29/05 at 12:52 pm

Way to go!  From one Conservative to another.

I sent 7 Teddy bears to the area to little kids that have to deal with Katrina and I've also sent letters to troops to let them know that someone over here in the States does care about them and does appreciate what they do for us.

I plan on doing a lot more, as far as "money" no I can't, ain't got none, but I do put up actions same as words. I talk the talk and I walk the walk.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/05 at 1:01 pm

I sent 7 Teddy bears to the area to little kids that have to deal with Katrina and I've also sent letters to troops to let them know that someone over here in the States does care about them and does appreciate what they do for us.

I plan on doing a lot more, as far as "money" no I can't, ain't got none, but I do put up actions same as words. I talk the talk and I walk the walk.

But, are you planning on signing up?

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 09/29/05 at 1:45 pm

But, are you planning on signing up?

Cat

To be in the Army?  No I'm not, nor should I have to.  It's not my calling. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/29/05 at 2:20 pm

Hmmm!  I guess it's never too late to think about enlisting in whatever branch of the armed services one desires to join...I thought about it once upon a time when I got the selective service card on my 18th birthday.  Probably would have taught me some discipline ( ::) ;D ) but I decided science would be a better way for me to serve my country.  Now that I read your post I think that I will definitely keep this option open :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/29/05 at 2:46 pm

Well, I guess like the other "chicken hawks" like Bush, Cheney, Rummy, Wolfy etc. you have better things to do.

Mush, I respect your willingness to put your $$$ where your mouth is, but I do question the wisdom of your decision.  But then, its always the poor slobs like us who fight the rich men's wars.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/29/05 at 3:15 pm

???  man oh man Zip up your shirt before your heart falls out.(old saying tinged with sarcasm)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/05 at 3:23 pm

???  man oh man Zip up your shirt before your heart falls out.(old saying tinged with sarcasm)

It's already on his sleeve!
;D

Mush, if you boast about good deeds and imply others are not up to your level of moral rectitude, it just turns people off.  If you want to volunteer, I commend you.  Tell me something interesting about where you are sent and what you find there.  If you use it as a chip on your shoulder, you just invite ridicule.

Written By: Satish on 09/29/05 at 4:45 pm

Bravo, Mushroom! I applaud your decision. There ought to be more people like you.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/29/05 at 5:33 pm

Mush, if you boast about good deeds and imply others are not up to your level of moral rectitude, it just turns people off.  If you want to volunteer, I commend you.  Tell me something interesting about where you are sent and what you find there.  If you use it as a chip on your shoulder, you just invite ridicule.

Max, remember what I have said in the past...  It is a personal decision to join.  Nobody should say anything against anybody, if they decide to join or not.  I know the military is not for everybody.  In fact, I am sure that there are some in here that could not handle it (and I mean because of the difference in lifestyle, not to be putting anybody down).

I have been trying to find a way back in for 12 years now, and I may have finally found it.  When I joined in 1982, I had planned on making it a career.  Now I may finally get my dream.

And for those that are curious, cut-off age for National Guard is now 35.  It can be up to 46 if you have prior service.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/29/05 at 5:37 pm

^ What about for other branches, like the Marine Corps or the Army?  My father-in-law was (is!) a Marine.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/05 at 6:13 pm

It sounds like you are not "walking the walk" then, does it? As I have said before, I have done my time. Yes, I was in the Air Force for 8 years-was planning on making it a career until I was medically discharge. Yes, I am a disable vet.

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 09/29/05 at 6:39 pm

Well, I guess like the other "chicken hawks" like Bush, Cheney, Rummy, Wolfy etc. you have better things to do.

Mush, I respect your willingness to put your $$$ where your mouth is, but I do question the wisdom of your decision.  But then, its always the poor slobs like us who fight the rich men's wars.

I for one am no rich man.  Secondly if the time came to fight for my country and I was told I had to do it. I'd do it. No way would you get me to complain, whine or cry about it.

My calling in life isn't to be in the army. obviously millions of other people are in the same boat.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/29/05 at 6:42 pm

It sounds like you are not "walking the walk" then, does it? As I have said before, I have done my time. Yes, I was in the Air Force for 8 years-was planning on making it a career until I was medically discharge. Yes, I am a disable vet.

Cat

So the only way you'll respect anybody is if they're a vet?  I respect vets, I also respect other people who do other things that those vets fought for.

If we all go into the military then we're fighting for nothing but more reason to fight.

Written By: Harmonica on 09/29/05 at 6:43 pm

What's this supposed to mean?

Make yourself clear....

Written By: Dagwood on 09/29/05 at 6:45 pm

Good for you, Mushroom.  Stay safe. :)

Written By: Mushroom on 09/29/05 at 9:29 pm

I made the last post quickly, because I was about to get off of work, and did not have the time I felt it deserved.

I look neither up nor down on somebody simply because they joined/did not join the military.  As I said, that is a personal decision.  Criticizing somebodies decision not to join makes about as much sense to me as doing it because they were Catholic, or Jewish, or homosexual.  Those are part of what a person is, on a deep level.  The decision as to serve in the military is just as deep of a decision (at least to me it is).

And I take the meaning of the word "Service" very seriously and literally.  To me, it is just that, I serve the people of the country.  Some people find it in medicine, some find it in practicing law.  Others find it in other ways, and sadly some people never find that kind of self-fulfillment.

But many times, I have had people attack stances I made in here, saying things like "you are not in, you are not in danger."  They act that just because it is not my head on the line, that it affects my decisions.  In this, they are very wrong.

I take military matters very seriously.  The decision to go to war is not one to be made lightly.  I myself am a pacifist.  I am against fighting and wars.  Wars are to be taken when all reasonable diplomatic measures have failed.

But there are times where war is nessicary.  Sometimes it is to protect ourselves, like World War 2.  At other times, it is to protect nations we are allied with, like Korea and the First Gulf War.  In these cases, war is required.  If you fail to support an ally (we had a mutual-defense treaty with South Korea and Kuwait), then no nation will support you when you need help.

To me, there is a third reason.  This is to protect people who are not being protected by anybody.  Good examples of this is Somalia, former Yugoslavia, and Iraq.  When I see things that happen over in Iraq for the last 20+ years, I get sick to my stomach.  Of all crimes, genocide and mass murder are the 2 that I find the most disgusting.  Every time I hear that they found more mass graves in Iraq, it is like a part of me dies.  And even though it is not happening here, I am willing to do anything to stop it.

And for the most part, they are taking volunteers from the Guard to Iraq.  My friend who told me about it got an exemption because he is married with 3 kids at home.  And for the most part, the Guard is filling support roles, like MP, Maintenance, Supply, Medical, and the like.  The combat is being done by Active Duty units, which are better trained and more experienced.

A guy I work with has already been approached by the Marines to enlist.  They are offering him E-6 and a large cash bonus.  And he has not been in the military for over 20 years, and is 56 years old!  But he has combat experience in Vietnam, and was a Green Baret.  They want to use him as an instructor stateside, to train the cadre who will be instructing the Iraqi forces.  In fact, because of his age it would take an Executive Order for him to be sent overseas without his approval (and a Congressional Order even with his approval).  It is not him they want, as much as his experience.

I talked to one of the recruiters tonight, and she told me that they want prior service badly, expecially those with active duty time.  They would be used to train those that are younger who would be going overseas.  Passing on our experience could make a difference to a lot of those of the younger generation now entering service.

And as far as I know, the age cap for the Military is still 28.  Because the National Guard is run by the state, the age limit is higher, 35 years old.  And with prior service, they can waive even that requirement.

For me there are several benefits.  For one, I can finally finish my interrupted career.  I can retire at 50, and then get my full benefits (medical, dental, travel, etc).  And I can also finally get something I have wanted for years, my college degree.  The VA College package offered to those that entered in the early 1980's was horrible, and almost worthless.  The new Montgomery GI Bill (which I would be eligable for) will pay for me to get my degree.  And Alabama kicks in even more grants and benefits.

If this works out for me, I intend on trying to spend as much of the next 2 years on active service.  Then I can spend the next 2 years as a full time student.  At the end of a 6 year enlistment, I would have my BA degree, and can finally achieve my other long-term goal: being a teacher.  (The Military and NG has even more programs for those that want teaching sertifications).

But one of the biggest reasons I want to go back, is for me.  I have never felt as complete as when I was in the Marines.  Some of the happiest times I ever had was when I was doing things that most people would feel are horrible.  Spending 2 weeks living in the Jungle, constantly wet, muddy and tired.  Seeing mold growing on my clothing from the constant humidity.  But it was an experience I will never forget, and would do almost anything to have again.

But do not think I am getting on a "High Horse" because of this.  I never look down on people because of their choices in something like this.

All I ask is that nobody look down on me, because of my choice here.  After all, it is my choice, not yours.  (and that was not aimed at Max or anybody else, but to everybody in general)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/05 at 2:06 am

I made the last post quickly, because I was about to get off of work, and did not have the time I felt it deserved.

I look neither up nor down on somebody simply because they joined/did not join the military.  As I said, that is a personal decision.  Criticizing somebodies decision not to join makes about as much sense to me as doing it because they were Catholic, or Jewish, or homosexual.  Those are part of what a person is, on a deep level.  The decision as to serve in the military is just as deep of a decision (at least to me it is).

And I take the meaning of the word "Service" very seriously and literally.  To me, it is just that, I serve the people of the country.  Some people find it in medicine, some find it in practicing law.  Others find it in other ways, and sadly some people never find that kind of self-fulfillment.

But many times, I have had people attack stances I made in here, saying things like "you are not in, you are not in danger."  They act that just because it is not my head on the line, that it affects my decisions.  In this, they are very wrong.

I take military matters very seriously.  The decision to go to war is not one to be made lightly.  I myself am a pacifist.  I am against fighting and wars.  Wars are to be taken when all reasonable diplomatic measures have failed.

But there are times where war is nessicary.  Sometimes it is to protect ourselves, like World War 2.  At other times, it is to protect nations we are allied with, like Korea and the First Gulf War.  In these cases, war is required.  If you fail to support an ally (we had a mutual-defense treaty with South Korea and Kuwait), then no nation will support you when you need help.

To me, there is a third reason.  This is to protect people who are not being protected by anybody.  Good examples of this is Somalia, former Yugoslavia, and Iraq.  When I see things that happen over in Iraq for the last 20+ years, I get sick to my stomach.  Of all crimes, genocide and mass murder are the 2 that I find the most disgusting.  Every time I hear that they found more mass graves in Iraq, it is like a part of me dies.  And even though it is not happening here, I am willing to do anything to stop it.

And for the most part, they are taking volunteers from the Guard to Iraq.  My friend who told me about it got an exemption because he is married with 3 kids at home.  And for the most part, the Guard is filling support roles, like MP, Maintenance, Supply, Medical, and the like.  The combat is being done by Active Duty units, which are better trained and more experienced.

A guy I work with has already been approached by the Marines to enlist.  They are offering him E-6 and a large cash bonus.  And he has not been in the military for over 20 years, and is 56 years old!  But he has combat experience in Vietnam, and was a Green Baret.  They want to use him as an instructor stateside, to train the cadre who will be instructing the Iraqi forces.  In fact, because of his age it would take an Executive Order for him to be sent overseas without his approval (and a Congressional Order even with his approval).  It is not him they want, as much as his experience.

I talked to one of the recruiters tonight, and she told me that they want prior service badly, expecially those with active duty time.  They would be used to train those that are younger who would be going overseas.  Passing on our experience could make a difference to a lot of those of the younger generation now entering service.

And as far as I know, the age cap for the Military is still 28.  Because the National Guard is run by the state, the age limit is higher, 35 years old.  And with prior service, they can waive even that requirement.

For me there are several benefits.  For one, I can finally finish my interrupted career.  I can retire at 50, and then get my full benefits (medical, dental, travel, etc).  And I can also finally get something I have wanted for years, my college degree.  The VA College package offered to those that entered in the early 1980's was horrible, and almost worthless.  The new Montgomery GI Bill (which I would be eligable for) will pay for me to get my degree.  And Alabama kicks in even more grants and benefits.

If this works out for me, I intend on trying to spend as much of the next 2 years on active service.  Then I can spend the next 2 years as a full time student.  At the end of a 6 year enlistment, I would have my BA degree, and can finally achieve my other long-term goal: being a teacher.  (The Military and NG has even more programs for those that want teaching sertifications).

But one of the biggest reasons I want to go back, is for me.  I have never felt as complete as when I was in the Marines.  Some of the happiest times I ever had was when I was doing things that most people would feel are horrible.  Spending 2 weeks living in the Jungle, constantly wet, muddy and tired.  Seeing mold growing on my clothing from the constant humidity.  But it was an experience I will never forget, and would do almost anything to have again.

But do not think I am getting on a "High Horse" because of this.  I never look down on people because of their choices in something like this.

All I ask is that nobody look down on me, because of my choice here.  After all, it is my choice, not yours.  (and that was not aimed at Max or anybody else, but to everybody in general)

I'll take your word for it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/05 at 12:09 pm

So the only way you'll respect anybody is if they're a vet?  I respect vets, I also respect other people who do other things that those vets fought for.

If we all go into the military then we're fighting for nothing but more reason to fight.

That is not what I meant. I meant is that you seem to think that you are are putting your money where your mouth is the same as Mushroom. I am pointing out that you are not. I am not saying that joining the military is the ONLY way. Putting your money where your mouth is means that if you believe in something-say this mistake of a war that we are in, then yes, I think you should join. And that is what Mushroom is doing and I applaud him for that even though I think this war is a fiasco.

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 09/30/05 at 12:50 pm

That is not what I meant. I meant is that you seem to think that you are are putting your money where your mouth is the same as Mushroom. I am pointing out that you are not. I am not saying that joining the military is the ONLY way. Putting your money where your mouth is means that if you believe in something-say this mistake of a war that we are in, then yes, I think you should join. And that is what Mushroom is doing and I applaud him for that even though I think this war is a fiasco.

Cat

No. I don't think I'm doing nearly as much as Mushroom is.  He's doing a full load, and I applauded him for it, and then I said the small amount that I've done.

I know exactly what putting your money where your mouth is.  I believe strongly that it's more important to be conservative and send teddy bears down to Katrina to frightened little kids that need to feel love at a unloved moment than I do to sit around and bitch at the president.
I feel it more important to write letters to the fighters over seas telling them that I as an American appreciate what they're doing, and that includes even more important than teling some of the liberals to stick it when they sit and bash our men and women over seas for fighting in a war they don't agree with.

I sent my teddy bears, I sent my letters.  I put my money where my mouth was.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/30/05 at 3:26 pm

I don't think any one here looks down on people who choose the armed forces, what we abhor is the reasons for fighting, and the people who place our service people in harms way for reasons that are
not clear, or not necessary.  I hope everything works out for you, and we will be waiting for your
continued updates, after all you do know the address  ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 09/30/05 at 6:36 pm

I know exactly what putting your money where your mouth is. I believe strongly that it's more important to be conservative and send teddy bears down to Katrina to frightened little kids that need to feel love at a unloved moment than I do to sit around and bitch at the president.

Just because people don't brag about it doesn't mean they don't do anything to help those in need.  Don't assume that just because they aren't talking about it that they aren't helping.  That is presumptious and wrong.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/05 at 9:26 pm

I don't think any one here looks down on people who choose the armed forces, what we abhor is the reasons for fighting, and the people who place our service people in harms way for reasons that are
not clear, or not necessary.  I hope everything works out for you, and we will be waiting for your
continued updates, after all you do know the address   ;)

As I said before, I would have served in the armed forces, but my health did not allow it when I was in my late teens and most of my twenties.  I felt I needed more structure and discipline in my life, and learning whatever skills I could have availed myself of would have been great for me.  My beliefs about the armed forces were not the same as my opinions of the Pentagon and the motives of shoot 'em up politicians.  Unfortunately, major depression and the accompanying stress, fatigue, and anxiety made me unfit for the rigors of military service.  I knew this, I didn't need to find out the hard way.
It irritates me when the Right ties support for soldiers to support of the political decision to got to war.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/05 at 12:30 am

Just because people don't brag about it doesn't mean they don't do anything to help those in need.  Don't assume that just because they aren't talking about it that they aren't helping.  That is presumptious and wrong.

I'm not bragging about it.

I'm sure a few of them do help those in need, and I know a majority of them sit around and bitch.  That accusation is quite affirmative.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/01/05 at 11:11 am

I'm sure a few of them do help those in need, and I know a majority of them sit around and bitch. That accusation is quite affirmative.

I'm not saying you are bragging.  What I am saying is how do you know what they do?  How do you know that those that bitch about the administration aren't also helping?  Do you have cameras in their houses to check up?

There is nothing wrong with bitching about the administration if you don't agree with it.  Heaven knows I did my fair share when Clinton was in office.  It is great to have to freedom to be able to stand up and say you don't agree with something without fearing for your life. 

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/05 at 11:16 am

I'm not saying you are bragging.  What I am saying is how do you know what they do?  How do you know that those that bitch about the administration aren't also helping?  Do you have cameras in their houses to check up?

There is nothing wrong with bitching about the administration if you don't agree with it.  Heaven knows I did my fair share when Clinton was in office.  It is great to have to freedom to be able to stand up and say you don't agree with something without fearing for your life. 

Most definitly agreed. But you tell me what's easier...to help or to bitch?  Then you tell me what most Americans are gonna do.  Easier or harder?  Be honest.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/01/05 at 11:35 am

Most definitly agreed. But you tell me what's easier...to help or to bitch? Then you tell me what most Americans are gonna do. Easier or harder? Be honest.

I like to think positively and think that people will help.  I think the people that just sit back and bitch and do nothing to change things are in the minority.  They are just louder.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/05 at 11:40 am

I like to think positively and think that people will help.  I think the people that just sit back and bitch and do nothing to change things are in the minority.  They are just louder.

I admire and respect your optomistic approach.  However,  I'm a realist.  We live in a lazy me me me society. The majority.  of people aren't helping other people.

Written By: limblifter on 10/01/05 at 12:20 pm

I admire and respect your optomistic approach.  However,  I'm a realist.  We live in a lazy me me me society. The majority.  of people aren't helping other people.

Yes there are a lot of lazy, selfish people in this world. But is it fair to label them all as "liberals" and go on and on about how only conservatives help out those that need it?

I consider myself to be a very liberal person. That doesn't mean that I block out everything that a more conservative minded person might say or do. I don't say that all american conservatives come from the south where they do nothing but sit on the porch plucking a banjo until it's time to go out on a date with their sister. And I don't think that a liberal is only about killing babies and marching in gay pride parades.

A lot of my friends are liberals, my co workers are liberals, my dog is a liberal. Does that mean that all of the money we raised and donated to help out victims of a disaster that didn't even occur in our own country isn't worth anything because of our political and social views?

When I made my donation did I make it a point to tell everyone here how much I sent and that everyone who didn't was an uncaring conservative, because liberals like me were the only ones who cared?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/05 at 12:43 pm

Yes there are a lot of lazy, selfish people in this world. But is it fair to label them all as "liberals" and go on and on about how only conservatives help out those that need it?

I consider myself to be a very liberal person. That doesn't mean that I block out everything that a more conservative minded person might say or do. I don't say that all american conservatives come from the south where they do nothing but sit on the porch plucking a banjo until it's time to go out on a date with their sister. And I don't think that a liberal is only about killing babies and marching in gay pride parades.

A lot of my friends are liberals, my co workers are liberals, my dog is a liberal. Does that mean that all of the money we raised and donated to help out victims of a disaster that didn't even occur in our own country isn't worth anything because of our political and social views?

When I made my donation did I make it a point to tell everyone here how much I sent and that everyone who didn't was an uncaring conservative, because liberals like me were the only ones who cared?

Very well put. And I don't think the people I was handing food to when I put many, many hours in at our local food shelf really cared if I was a liberal.

Cat

Written By: Brian Damaged on 10/01/05 at 12:48 pm

True, but you are rational and dont have a Jesus complex, so you woulnt understand.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/05 at 4:13 pm

I have good liberal friends and I admire a lot of liberal ideas.  Not all liberals in this world are as shallow as the majority of the liberals on this board and there are those among the liberals on this board who understand that they are not impeccable in there beliefs.  You being one of them. 
I admire the good things people do regardless of whether they're liberal, conservative or independent.  But I refuse to read here on this message board that every single liberal idea and movement is 110% without flaw and no other outside idea can be right because liberal views are 100% correct.  Then have to listen to how all conservative ideas, every single cotten picken one of them is wrong and stupid.  How in no way shape or form could they be right. 
There is a kid on campus who I consider to be a friend. Strong liberal, extremely strong liberal, but even he isn't so concieted to think that liberal ideas do not have flaws. He can see the good in some conservative views.  I'm glad to run into liberals like him and my best friend who is also a liberal, because if all I had to look at was the majority of liberals on this board, it's, "Hey respect my beliefs(WHICH ARE TRUE), and I'll respect yours(WHICH ARE IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM TRUE.) 

I'm glad you made a donation and I'm glad other liberals made there donations.  I'll give you a list of liberal ideas that I'm in favor of and support.  Good luck getting any more than 3 liberals to sincerely and I mean sincerely write at least 2 good things about conservative ideas.  Then at least one bad thing about liberal ideas.  I'm sure someone will want to put me in my place and go google something for a half hour so they can make me look bad, but you'll get maybe 2 people to sincerely write it down.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/05 at 4:14 pm

True, but you are rational and dont have a Jesus complex, so you woulnt understand.

You gonna feed me to the lions?  Oh rational one?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/05 at 6:56 pm

I have good liberal friends and I admire a lot of liberal ideas.  Not all liberals in this world are as shallow as the majority of the liberals on this board and there are those among the liberals on this board who understand that they are not impeccable in there beliefs. 

I totally resent this remark. How dare you say that people here are shallow when you don't even know them. You claim that you are being put down because you are a Christian which is total b.s. But yet, every other post you have to say "Liberals this" or "Liberals that". One thing you just don't get is that most people here respect your opinion even if they disagree with them. You, on the other hand do not seem to respect other people's opinions who you disagree with. And just because someone disagrees with your opinion does not make them shallow or evil, or anything else. It just makes them have a different opinion than you!

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 10/01/05 at 8:51 pm

I totally resent this remark. How dare you say that people here are shallow when you don't even know them. You claim that you are being put down because you are a Christian which is total b.s. But yet, every other post you have to say "Liberals this" or "Liberals that". One thing you just don't get is that most people here respect your opinion even if they disagree with them. You, on the other hand do not seem to respect other people's opinions who you disagree with. And just because someone disagrees with your opinion does not make them shallow or evil, or anything else. It just makes them have a different opinion than you!

Cat

I double resent that.  Come right out and lie to me and say most people respect my opinion, disagreeing and telling someone what they believe has absolutely no truth to it are TWO different things.  You don't say to someone, "Your wrong, your 100% wrong, nothing you think is right, it's all wrong,  BUT I respect it." 

I triple resent that you claim I don't get bashed cause I'm a Christian on this board.  "Well he believes in the false God"  or The little rolly eyes thing next to Jesus that claim I live my life for a man that they believe never really existed.

I rest my case with you, NEVER EVER admit anything to your own downfall.

Claim that it's just a difference in opinion.  RocknRoll Fan gets told how WRONG he is, is he really wrong? Or do just the majority of the people think about the subject differently than he does.  Not that they're right, not that they're wrong, but they're thinking about it differently.

Don't feed me this B.S. of YOU respecting what I believe, when you pull the Santa Clause and full of sheesh trade on me JUST for having a different opinion on an issue.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/01/05 at 9:28 pm

how long an enlistment?

If possible, another 20 years.

I had always planned on being career military.  Trust me, nobody stays in for 10 years, and just walks away without a damned good reason.  I actually fought my discharge for over 2 years, and was released at the end of my enlistment (I could not fight after that, they simply refused to let me reenlist.  However, I was seperated medically.

In the 12 years since then, my knee has healed a lot.  It will never be anywhere close to what it was before, but it is hopefully good enough to let me back in.

My initial enlistment though will be for the standard term, 6 years.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/05 at 1:10 pm

I double resent that.  Come right out and lie to me and say most people respect my opinion, disagreeing and telling someone what they believe has absolutely no truth to it are TWO different things.  You don't say to someone, "Your wrong, your 100% wrong, nothing you think is right, it's all wrong,  BUT I respect it." 

I triple resent that you claim I don't get bashed cause I'm a Christian on this board.  "Well he believes in the false God"  or The little rolly eyes thing next to Jesus that claim I live my life for a man that they believe never really existed.

Claim that it's just a difference in opinion.  RocknRoll Fan gets told how WRONG he is, is he really wrong? Or do just the majority of the people think about the subject differently than he does.  Not that they're right, not that they're wrong, but they're thinking about it differently.

Don't feed me this B.S. of YOU respecting what I believe, when you pull the Santa Clause and full of sheesh trade on me JUST for having a different opinion on an issue.

How DARE you call me a liar. I do not lie and I totally resent that remark.  And I said MOST people here. There are other Christians here on this board and I have never heard them crying that they are being bashed. You are the one that I have heard telling people they are " wrong, you're 100% wrong, nothing you think is right, it's all wrong". And for your information, it is not your opinions that people disrespect but they way you convey them. It is because of the fact that you come across as "holier than thou" that really turn people off. And because of that, people have a tendicy of reacting. I know you are going to say "No, I'm not better than other people" but the fact remains that you come off as if you do. You seem to have this attitude that you are always right and everyone else is wrong.  If you get off your high horse maybe, just maybe you will see that people aren't really harrassing you.

Cat

Written By: limblifter on 10/02/05 at 1:41 pm

Someone on this board has a serious inferiority complex. :-X

On topic. Good luck with everything Mushroom.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 3:29 pm

How DARE you call me a liar. I do not lie and I totally resent that remark.  And I said MOST people here. There are other Christians here on this board and I have never heard them crying that they are being bashed. You are the one that I have heard telling people they are " wrong, you're 100% wrong, nothing you think is right, it's all wrong". And for your information, it is not your opinions that people disrespect but they way you convey them. It is because of the fact that you come across as "holier than thou" that really turn people off. And because of that, people have a tendicy of reacting. I know you are going to say "No, I'm not better than other people" but the fact remains that you come off as if you do. You seem to have this attitude that you are always right and everyone else is wrong.  If you get off your high horse maybe, just maybe you will see that people aren't really harrassing you.

Cat

I don't do the rolly eyes thing, and I don't pull sheesh on people either. I don't claim to respect other peoples opinions, while at the same time know for 100% fact that they're wrong. 
I haven't once did anything to make myself out to be holier than though in a long long time, yet because of the picture of Jesus, and that only people make it out to be as if I do.
I'm the other voice on this board and you can't handle it because I refuse to bow down cause I'm not with the majority.  The Numbers mean didly squat, and I'll treat them like didly squat.
I'll get off my horse when you start doing what you claim to do, which you haven't, and that's show me respect. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/05 at 3:49 pm

I don't do the rolly eyes thing, and I don't pull sheesh on people either. I don't claim to respect other peoples opinions, while at the same time know for 100% fact that they're wrong. 
I haven't once did anything to make myself out to be holier than though in a long long time, yet because of the picture of Jesus, and that only people make it out to be as if I do.
I'm the other voice on this board and you can't handle it because I refuse to bow down cause I'm not with the majority.  The Numbers mean didly squat, and I'll treat them like didly squat.
I'll get off my horse when you start doing what you claim to do, which you haven't, and that's show me respect. 

That's just it. You have proven my point. Everyone who disgrees with you is wrong. You just said it. Which is why people have a tendency to jump all over you. It is NOT your religion or your opinions or even your avitar. It is YOU!!! I have ALWAYS respected your opinion-however I think the way you express them leaves much to be desired. Whenever anyone calls you on some points you make, you cry that it is because you are a Christian. You just don't get it, do you. And you want me to respect you after you call me a liar? Oh yeah, that is because I am wrong because I disgree with you. You have a lot to learn about people and about life. I would suggest that you learn and learn fast otherwise you will probably go through life playing the victim which you will learn will get old VERY quickly.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 3:55 pm

I for one am no rich man.  Secondly if the time came to fight for my country and I was told I had to do it. I'd do it. No way would you get me to complain, whine or cry about it.

My calling in life isn't to be in the army. obviously millions of other people are in the same boat.

So you are saying that donating teddy bears is the equivalant as serving in the ramed forces?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 3:57 pm

OK, so what is your "calling"?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 4:08 pm

I feel it more important to write letters to the fighters over seas telling them that I as an American appreciate what they're doing, and that includes even more important than teling some of the liberals to stick it when they sit and bash our men and women over seas for fighting in a war they don't agree with.

I sent my teddy bears, I sent my letters.  I put my money where my mouth was.

You know, you might at some point want to speak the truth.  NO "liberal" on this board, and NO liberal that I know has ever said one word, NOT ONE SINGLE WORD disparaging what our troops are doing (although the turtues at Abu Gierab or whatever do raise some questions re leadership).  To critisize the policy is not to critsize those charged with implementing it.  Just as no one has bashed christians in general (only your ignorant fanatisism) no one has bashed our brave, if mis-used military personnel.  Please stop distorting the discussion to fit your own agenda, and please stop playing yhe martyr.  It gets old very fast.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 4:15 pm

I'm sure a few of them do help those in need, and I know a majority of them sit around and bitch.  That accusation is quite affirmative.

You are a presuptuoious lille bast... aren't you.  How  DARE you?  Try getting off your high horse, your Jesus complex, and your martyr syndrom and join the human race.  You might find that you get more respect.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 4:22 pm

Most definitly agreed. But you tell me what's easier...to help or to bitch?  Then you tell me what most Americans are gonna do.  Easier or harder?  Be honest.

Well, every day I read the Rutland Herald and there is another story about Vermonters organizing aid for the hurricane victems.  Castleton State Collkege students have already raised over $10,000 and the other State College studentys (bless their hearts) are working just as hard.  And I can tell you that they are "bitching" their hearts out at the stupidity, inefficieancy, corruption, etc. of FEMA and Lil' Georgie.  They help because help is needed, by people just like us, who our government has failed.  They bitch because we expect better from our government.  For the sake of the one pictured in your avitar, GET A FREAKEN CLUE.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 4:31 pm

You gonna feed me to the lions?  Oh rational one?

Because we liberals (and leftists) abhore violance we would certainly be the first to jump into the arena to defend you from the lions, and from the Romans who threw you there - a VERY conservative group.  You might want to read up on the history of the Romam Empire (which replaced the Roman Republic such as it was) before you make these rather stupid references.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 4:41 pm

THIS HAS CROSSED THE MARK.  Don't you ever dare to call my wife a liar, or you might find that we are not just dueling with keyboards, buit with pistols at 40 paces.  I'm not going to enter into the debate, but YOU NEVER, EVER cast dispersions on my wife.  You owe her an apology, and I expect to see it not only on this thread but on every other on this site.  GET MY POINT?

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 5:26 pm

So you are saying that donating <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=teddy%20bears" onmouseover="window.status='teddy bears'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">teddy bears</a> is the equivalant as serving in the ramed forces?

Nope not at all.

Here is what I'm saying:  Sending teddy bears does more good than bitching.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 5:34 pm

That's just it. You have proven my point. Everyone who disgrees with you is wrong. You just said it. Which is why people have a tendency to jump all over you. It is NOT your religion or your opinions or even your avitar. It is YOU!!! I have ALWAYS respected your opinion-however I think the way you express them leaves much to be desired. Whenever anyone calls you on some points you make, you cry that it is because you are a Christian. You just don't get it, do you. And you want me to respect you after you call me a liar? Oh yeah, that is because I am wrong because I disgree with you. You have a lot to learn about people and about life. I would suggest that you learn and learn fast otherwise you will probably go through life playing the victim which you will learn will get old VERY quickly.

Cat

::)  Since when was this a sign of respect???? Huh? Where I come from it means, "you're full of sheesh" and  I often see that next to anything I put down as a NON-liberal belief.

You have respected my opinion before, yes you have.  You have always respected my opinion before?  Bullsheesh.

There are times when I include absolutely nothing about God or Jesus or anything of the sort and the replies I get in return are full of, "well, look he cant' be right, he believes in God" then unwritten but strongly implied, "he must be wrong, because atheist really know what is really real and the truth".

Yes you are a liar, telling me that I get respected.  By some yes, by all, not by a long shot. 

Disagree with me is fine, but you sure dont' do with with any respect when 90% of the time, I get treated like a child.
"Well, Harmonica believes that the father should have a say in the case, I respect that  ::)"  Or how about, "Well Harmonica won't do it because he thinks God wouldn't approve of it.  I"m sure glad I don't believe in someone that's not real". 

I'm not playing anything here, there is no act.  I've seen you do it to Rocknrollfan and I've seen you do it to GWBUSH2004, it all comes down to where you can't handle the fact that maybe someone on this board can see the wrongs in liberal beliefs and has the guts to stick up and say these conservative beliefs are good.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 5:36 pm

OK, so what is your "calling"?

I can't answer that because my calling comes from someone the majority don't happen to believe in, so therefore I"m wrong for beliving in that calling, because since the majority don't happen to believe him, he must not be real.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 5:43 pm

You know, you might at some point want to speak the truth.  NO "liberal" on this board, and NO liberal that I know has ever said one word, NOT ONE SINGLE WORD disparaging what our troops are doing (although the turtues at Abu Gierab or whatever do raise some questions re leadership).  To critisize the policy is not to critsize those charged with implementing it.  Just as no one has bashed christians in general (only your ignorant fanatisism) no one has bashed our brave, if mis-used military personnel.  Please stop distorting the discussion to fit your own agenda, and please stop playing yhe martyr.  It gets old very fast.

Do you think it makes someone happy when they're told, "you fought for useless reasons and causes".  That there is a slam.  Do you think it makes them feel good to know that, "Your best friend was shot in the head, his death has no meaning".  That there is a slam.  And yes, I have read very similar phrases on this board. 

NO one has bashed christians in general?  How many post do you skip per topic?

What gets old really fast is that you think since I'm the only voice from the other side on topics that it'll scare me and I'll shut up.  I ain't no sheep, never have been never will be. 

I'll stick up for what I believe in.  You can say that Title IX isn't the cause of 10's of thousands of male athletic programs being cut and provide your proof along with the rest of your liberal buddies,  alone or with others I'm still gonna say that it is and bring my proof along.  You can say abortion is not murder along with the quotes of the likes of John Robertson and I'll say it is along with the quotes of Steve Forbes, you can say that there is no fault in the system of providing prescription drugs and I can look at the proof of where my sister works and say that there is.

I will speak up for the other side of the issue, regardless of whether anyone else joins me or not, and YOU are not going to stop me.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 5:45 pm

You are a presuptuoious lille bast... aren't you.  How  DARE you?  Try getting off your high horse, your Jesus complex, and your martyr syndrom and join the human race.  You might find that you get more respect.

Take two different polls. 

1.  Out of 10,000 people ask how many helped in some way shape or form the victems of katrina

2.  Out of 10,000 people ask how many would be willing to grant an interview saying what they think of the president.

You come back to me and tell me which percentage was higher.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 5:47 pm

Well, every day I read the Rutland Herald and there is another story about Vermonters organizing aid for the hurricane victems.  Castleton State Collkege students have already raised over $10,000 and the other State College studentys (bless their hearts) are working just as hard.  And I can tell you that they are "bitching" their hearts out at the stupidity, inefficieancy, corruption, etc. of FEMA and Lil' Georgie.  They help because help is needed, by people just like us, who our government has failed.  They bitch because we expect better from our government.  For the sake of the one pictured in your avitar, GET A FREAKEN CLUE.

I go to a very small school where we raised around 5,000 dollars.  But we like the blessed state college students in your area are in the minority.  You get a clue bud, cause the majority it ain't.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 5:48 pm

Because we liberals (and leftists) abhore violance we would certainly be the first to jump into the arena to defend you from the lions, and from the Romans who threw you there - a VERY conservative group.  You might want to read up on the history of the Romam Empire (which replaced the Roman Republic such as it was) before you make these rather stupid references.

Wrapping me in T-Bone steaks is an excellent defense, how thoughtfull. 

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 5:51 pm

THIS HAS CROSSED THE MARK.  Don't you ever dare to call my wife a liar, or you might find that we are not just dueling with keyboards, buit with pistols at 40 paces.  I'm not going to enter into the debate, but YOU NEVER, EVER cast dispersions on my wife.  You owe her an apology, and I expect to see it not only on this thread but on every other on this site.  GET MY POINT?

I owe no apology here.  Respect is not when you say, "we'll let him think that he's right  ::)"  that is not respect.

And your a liar too. You once said that you're man enough to not come to the conclusion of killing someone with a gun.  Well obviously you are.

I'm the one that deserves the apology this time.  The one who did the cheap shooting, is the one that's going to apologize this time. Not the the one recieved it.

Written By: limblifter on 10/02/05 at 6:59 pm

Seriously Harmonica. I think it's time for you to ball up and act like a man, instead of a spoiled little child. >:(

Not everyone is going to agree with you around here. Not everyone is going to respect your opinions. We would all be stupid if we were to believe that. Not everyone agrees with me, heck, you've insulted me, and my countrymen by implying that the majority of the population of my country are pedophiles. You've even slammed me for being an atheist. But do I carry on page after page whining and complaining about it? No

Did I throw a hissy fit when you said that I had no class? No.

Do RocknRollfan and GWBush2004 lash out and insult people whenever someone disagrees with them? No. When people disagree with their opinions they back up what they said, and if that doesn't resolve anything they usually agree to disagree.

How is it anyones fault that your political views and religious dedication are in the minority here? Do you expect an apology from the people of this board because the majority don't share your viewpoints on a lot of subjects?

You want to talk about writing letters to the troops and sending kids teddy bears. Fine. I'm sure everyone would have left you alone if you had just left it at that. But no. You had to make it a point to tell everyone that you were helping out and the "liberals" couldn't care less and were probably saddened that the same children you were helping with your gifts were not raped or murdered. Now how could you possibly make a statement like that and not expect people to be insulted? Seriously, I want you to answer that. 

If you want people to apologize to you for insulting you. How about you try and be the bigger man and apologize for your own hand in all of this. And then maybe you'll get the respect that you feel you deserve.

Written By: limblifter on 10/02/05 at 7:02 pm

And once again you've hijacked yet another thread. This thread was supposed to be about mushroom rejoining the armed forces because he wanted to do his part and help others.

Instead, you've turned it into another "Everyone is ganging up on me" rant!

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 7:08 pm

Seriously Harmonica. I think it's time for you to ball up and act like a man, instead of a spoiled little child. >:(

Not everyone is going to agree with you around here. Not everyone is going to respect your opinions. We would all be stupid if we were to believe that. Not everyone agrees with me, heck, you've insulted me, and my countrymen by implying that the majority of the population of my country are pedophiles. You've even slammed me for being an atheist. But do I carry on page after page whining and complaining about it? No

Did I throw a hissy fit when you said that I had no class? No.

Do RocknRollfan and GWBush2004 lash out and insult people whenever someone disagrees with them? No. When people disagree with their opinions they back up what they said, and if that doesn't resolve anything they usually agree to disagree.

How is it anyones fault that your political views and religious dedication are in the minority here? Do you expect an apology from the people of this board because the majority don't share your viewpoints on a lot of subjects?

You want to talk about writing letters to the troops and sending kids <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=teddy%20bears" onmouseover="window.status='<a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=teddy%20bears" onmouseover="window.status='teddy bears'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">teddy bears</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">teddy bears</a>. Fine. I'm sure everyone would have left you alone if you had just left it at that. But no. You had to make it a point to tell everyone that you were helping out and the "liberals" couldn't care less and were probably saddened that the same children you were helping with your gifts were not raped or murdered.

If you want people to apologize to you for insulting you. How about you try and be the bigger man and apologize for your own hand in all of this. And then maybe you'll get the respect that you feel you deserve.

I never said anything to insult your countrymen,  I pointed out that a large group of Canadians wanted to pedophila to be legalized.  That is a fact that I heard from a magazine.  

It's not just disagreeing with me.  I'm being told to apologize for the simple fact that I'm different, no other reason behind it. Because I'm different.  I'm in a room full of math majors asked which school subject is the best, I say history, all the rest of them say math, therefore math is the best subject and I am wrong, when infact it's just a biased result.  

Rocknrollfan and GWBUSH2004 aren't as stubborn as I am.  When I'm wronged, I fight back.  I don't sit around and let people walk all over me.

Speaking the truth pisses a lot of people off on this board. Rapes wouldn't even happen if NOBODY believed in them.

I have absolutely nothing to apologize about.  Defending myself is not a wronging on someone.  Being the opposing voice on an issue is not wronging someone.  Calling someone a liar when they lied to me is not wronging someone.  Being different is not wronging someone.  

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/02/05 at 7:24 pm

And once again you've hijacked yet another thread. This thread was supposed to be about mushroom rejoining the armed forces because he wanted to do his part and help others.

You are right. I apoligize to Mushroom for allowing a child to distract me. I should have known better.

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 7:32 pm

In Order exactly what happened.

1.  I applauded Mushroom for his good deed and then shared with him the good deeds I have done.
2.  Cat asked if I was going to join the army.  I replied that I was not.
3. I was called a "Chickenhawk" by Don Carlos and then put on the accusation that I thought I was too good for the Amry National Guard.
4. Then Cat said that I wasn't really walking the walk as far as a comparisson to Mushroom.  I replied and said my goal wasn't to compare myself to mushroom but to talk the talk, "I will send <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=teddy%20bears" onmouseover="window.status='teddy bears'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">teddy bears</a>" walk the walk, "I sent those teddy bears."   Then I said that if I had to join the Army I'd do my best for them and fight as best I could, but it's not my calling in life, I shouldn't quit school give up every dream I've ever had and go run into the army and throw away everything else I've ever stood for.
5. Dagwood pointed out that it's possible to bitch and help
6. I agreed and said good point but who's all helping that's bitching.
7. Dag wood brought up the point that people are people good and bad regardless of liberal or conservative standings.
8. I said good point Dagwood and then pointed out how I know that there are good liberals in this world and how I know them, and pointed out the liberal standing on this board that I have been show for the past few years.
9. Izaabel came on and bashed my christianity.
10. CatwomanofV was royally pissed off because I pointed out what I have been shown left and right of the liberal outlook.
11. I  came back and defended <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=my%20points" onmouseover="window.status='my points'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">my points</a>.
12. CatwomanofV came back and told where I was wrong and how I was wrong
13. I came back and showed her where I was not wrong and how I was not wrong.
14. She came on and said, "you've proved my point" , which in layman terms me, "you refuse to give in"
15. Don Carlos came on and ask me a crap load of questions. I answered them.
16. Don Carlos pointed out the small % of people he knows compared to the rest of the world that have helped out and he someone wants me to believe that out of the entire united states of America somehow the majority of them live in the vencinity of his home, and out of them they're all helping for the most part.  
17. Don Carlos gets pissed off when I pointed out his wife was a liar, when she lied straight to me.  
18. I pointed out to him that he had lied too.
19. You come on and tell me I'm a baby and that I made myself out to be a martyr and all this other jazz

Read the order of events bud.   3 and 4 where Don Carlos and CatwomanofV insulted me and made attacks on me come before I came back and made attacks on the liberal party myself.

Read number 9, then tell me I wasn't bashed for being a christian.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 7:38 pm

You are right. I apoligize to Mushroom for allowing a child to distract me. I should have known better.

Cat

I applauded Mushroom, told him that I admire what he has done.

This isn't an insult on me, calling me a child.  Are you unaware that the term "child" in your context clearly means that "I have no idea waht I'm talkign about"  YOu do this all the time to me, arguing or not, hell we agree and you still pull this bulls-h-i-t on me and you want me to apologize.

You treat me on every cotton picking matter that we've ever both been on as if I have no idea what I'm talking about. The little rolly eyes thing and "ha ha ha".

I owe you nothing, no apology whatsoever. This is comparable to a serial killer telling the familes of the one's he killed to apologize to him, for having family members he had to kill. Or a black man being told to apologize in a huge group of KKK members, just for being black.  I sure hope either  wouldn't apologize cause I'm sure not going to.

Written By: whitewolf on 10/02/05 at 7:40 pm

a large group of Canadians wanted to pedophila to be legalized.

If you really believe this, please share whatever you are smoking

Speaking the truth pisses a lot of people off on this board. Rapes wouldn't even happen if NOBODY believed in them.

not sure what this statement is supposed to mean, but .

even if people refuse to believe this happens doesn't make it less real.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 7:49 pm

If you really believe this, please share whatever you are smoking

not sure what this statement is supposed to mean, but .

even if people refuse to believe this happens doesn't make it less real.

I made it up off the top of my head, you see there is a group of physics that only want what I have in my brain, they study me for a couple of hours in the morning each morning for about a week, without my knowledge then write a 70 page magazine the next week and put it out Two times a month.  Ironically a friend of mine happens to pick up the magazine and start reading an article from it and, say's, "Hey (my name), check this out".    Does this sound as ridiculous to the reader as it does to the writer?    I heard it from a freakin legitimate magazine.  We don't keep weekly world news or enquierer, or any of that B.S. in the library only the legitimate things.

The statement is to defend myself against those who tell me, "no way, No one could ever, no one would ever, no one does." 

YOur last statement was awesome, took the words right outta my mouth. YOu said what I wanted to say. Thank you.

And I don't smoke.  Hate smoking. 

Written By: Dagwood on 10/02/05 at 7:50 pm

Please stop distorting the discussion to fit your own agenda, and please stop playing yhe martyr. It gets old very fast.

Well said!

Written By: limblifter on 10/02/05 at 7:53 pm

In Order exactly what happened.

1.  I applauded Mushroom for his good deed and then shared with him the good deeds I have done.
2.  Cat asked if I was going to join the army.  I replied that I was not.
3. I was called a "Chickenhawk" by Don Carlos and then put on the accusation that I thought I was too good for the Amry National Guard.
4. Then Cat said that I wasn't really walking the walk as far as a comparisson to Mushroom.  I replied and said my goal wasn't to compare myself to mushroom but to talk the talk, "I will send <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=teddy%20bears" onmouseover="window.status='teddy bears'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">teddy bears</a>" walk the walk, "I sent those teddy bears."   Then I said that if I had to join the Army I'd do my best for them and fight as best I could, but it's not my calling in life, I shouldn't quit school give up every dream I've ever had and go run into the army and throw away everything else I've ever stood for.
5. Dagwood pointed out that it's possible to bitch and help
6. I agreed and said good point but who's all helping that's bitching.
7. Dag wood brought up the point that people are people good and bad regardless of liberal or conservative standings.
8. I said good point Dagwood and then pointed out how I know that there are good liberals in this world and how I know them, and pointed out the liberal standing on this board that I have been show for the past few years.
9. Izaabel came on and bashed my christianity.
10. CatwomanofV was royally pissed off because I pointed out what I have been shown left and right of the liberal outlook.
11. I  came back and defended <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=my%20points" onmouseover="window.status='my points'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">my points</a>.
12. CatwomanofV came back and told where I was wrong and how I was wrong
13. I came back and showed her where I was not wrong and how I was not wrong.
14. She came on and said, "you've proved my point" , which in layman terms me, "you refuse to give in"
15. Don Carlos came on and ask me a crap load of questions. I answered them.
16. Don Carlos pointed out the small % of people he knows compared to the rest of the world that have helped out and he someone wants me to believe that out of the entire united states of America somehow the majority of them live in the vencinity of his home, and out of them they're all helping for the most part.  
17. Don Carlos gets pissed off when I pointed out his wife was a liar, when she lied straight to me.  
18. I pointed out to him that he had lied too.
19. You come on and tell me I'm a baby and that I made myself out to be a martyr and all this other jazz

Read the order of events bud.   3 and 4 where Don Carlos and CatwomanofV insulted me and made attacks on me come before I came back and made attacks on the liberal party myself.

Read number 9, then tell me I wasn't bashed for being a christian.

#19 ~ I never said you were trying to be a martyr, that was someone else. Ya see my point? You have accused me of saying something that i did not even say. Do you think that it's at all possible that this may have happened with someone else?  But I did tell you to grow up and act like a man. Get some thick skin, learn how to not take everything as a personal attack. And if they do attack you, to fight back without dragging everyone else into it by making outrageous generalizations about everyone on this board.

And you did say that "The majority of canadians support pedophilia" you did not say that it was a 'large group" of people. There is a HUGE difference between those two statements. And just because your friend read it to you from a magazine does not mean that it is a fact. And if you can't at least link to a reputable site that can back up a statement like that, you shouldn't really be saying it at all. because for one thing, it's insulting to not only me, but every other law abiding, child loving canadian on this board.

Written By: whitewolf on 10/02/05 at 8:00 pm

The statement is to defend myself against those who tell me, "no way, No one could ever, no one would ever, no one does."   

No one was saying that rape does't happen,

I think they were saying that no one on here would be disappointed that the stories in New Orleans weren't true.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 8:02 pm

#19 ~ I never said you were trying to be a martyr, that was someone else. Ya see my point? You have accused me of saying something that i did not even say. Do you think that it's at all possible that this may have happened with someone else?  But I did tell you to grow up and act like a man. Get some thick skin, learn how to not take everything as a personal attack. And if they do attack you, to fight back without dragging everyone else into it by making outrageous generalizations about everyone on this board.

And you did say that "The majority of canadians support pedophilia" you did not say that it was a 'large group" of people. There is a HUGE difference between those two statements. And just because your friend read it to you from a magazine does not mean that it is a fact. And if you can't at least link to a reputable site that can back up a statement like that, you shouldn't really be saying it at all. because for one thing, it's insulting to not only me, but every other law abiding, child loving canadian on this board.

Why me and me alone?  Why do I have to be the only one to be a man about this?  Why does everyone else get to pull there cheap shots, say there insults, do they're bashing.  I'll tell you why cause they're all the same, and they have no one besides me and few other members of this board to tell them, "hey, guess what everything you do and say, just might not be right."  

I didn't get it from a site, I got it from a magazine, for the 4th time.

I'll start naming everyone name for name then.  You're gonna get a long list.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/02/05 at 8:03 pm

No one was saying that rape does't happen,

I think they were saying that no one on here would be disappointed that the stories in New Orleans weren't true.

No one, absoultely no one?  Well maybe, maybe.  Maybe no one was. 

Written By: limblifter on 10/02/05 at 8:49 pm

Why me and me alone?  Why do I have to be the only one to be a man about this?  

That's what being the bigger person is all about. That's what being an adult is all about. Children ask "But what about them?" 

I didn't get it from a site, I got it from a magazine, for the 4th time.

No sh!t. I said that you heard it from a magazine! I suggested that if you wanted to make statements like that that you should back it up with a reputable source. If that source is a from a site than so be it. But if you can't back it up, then don't say it. And once again you've totally missed the point that I was trying to make.

What you said was insulting. To say that the majority of canadians support pedophilia is an insult to all canadians. Can you acknowledge that, or are you going to stand by your argument that it's not an insult because you read it in a magazine?

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 12:19 am

That's what being the bigger person is all about. That's what being an adult is all about. Children ask "But what about them?" 

No sh!t. I said that you heard it from a magazine! I suggested that if you wanted to make statements like that that you should back it up with a reputable source. If that source is a from a site than so be it. But if you can't back it up, then don't say it. And once again you've totally missed the point that I was trying to make.

What you said was insulting. To say that the majority of canadians support pedophilia is an insult to all canadians. Can you acknowledge that, or are you going to stand by your argument that it's not an insult because you read it in a magazine?

But they say that they do, when they don't.  What do you want me to put? Do you want me to go find the magazine article.  Post the magazine, page number and author?  Is that what? Cause I can not give you a link. 

I didnt' say it!  I did not say it, out of my mouth out of my opinion, it did not come.  I read it, and I quoted it. 

This is something that makes so so freaking mad, I quote something and I freaking get accused of it being out of my head, outta my ideas outta my freakin views.  It's not, I read it, I quoted it.

QUOTED IT

Written By: Powerslave on 10/03/05 at 12:24 am

Why are you all arguing with this idiotic child? He turns every thread he posts in into a flame war. Mushroom and GWB can be butts at times (and they aren't the only ones), but at least most of the time their arguments are supported by evidence and logic. It's a pleasure arguing with them most of the time, because it's actually a debate. Harmonica just makes sweeping generalisations ("the liberals on this board will be disappointed that the violence in NOLA was exaggerated", "the majority of Canadians support pedophilia") that are supported by nothing but his own self-righteousness and then gets narky when people slam him. Then he lets his emotions and religious beliefs get the better of him and turns into a tantrum throwing moron. Seriously, if I was the board moderator, I would have banned his childish, self-righteous, pompous, condescending, rude and ignorant ass a long time ago. And I say again: You should change you avatar, Harmonica. Jesus would be ashamed of you.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 1:12 am

Why are you all arguing with this idiotic child? He turns every thread he posts in into a flame war. Mushroom and GWB can be butts at times (and they aren't the only ones), but at least most of the time their arguments are supported by evidence and logic. It's a pleasure arguing with them most of the time, because it's actually a debate. Harmonica just makes sweeping generalisations ("the liberals on this board will be disappointed that the violence in NOLA was exaggerated", "the majority of Canadians support pedophilia") that are supported by nothing but his own self-righteousness and then gets narky when people slam him. Then he lets his emotions and religious beliefs get the better of him and turns into a tantrum throwing moron. Seriously, if I was the board moderator, I would have banned his childish, self-righteous, pompous, condescending, rude and ignorant ass a long time ago. And I say again: You should change you avatar, Harmonica. Jesus would be ashamed of you.

"the majority of Canadians support pedophilia"  - Not my belief. No way shape or form my belief. I quoted it. 

"the liberals on this board will be disappointed that the violence in NOLA was exaggerated" - Also not my belief.  A liberal, a liberal. At least one liberal, is what I said.

I am none of the things you called me.

I'm being beaten to a pulp here, for no reason other than standing up for the other side. Hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me, hit me,  I hit back, game over, no fair.  Excuse me?????

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 1:20 am

I'm not done yet.

YOu wanna talk childish?  How grown up is it when someone outta nowhere makes fun of my savior?  How grown up is that?

Self-righteous -  I'll make this really tough on you.  Name me Three liberals on this baord that have admited when they were wrong or the possiblity that they're liberal views might not be right.  And I went sincerely.

Pompous - No more than any other.

Conscendending - Who's the one that puts the  ::) next to each and every opinion of another member?  It sure as heck ain't me.

Rude -  In a revengeful manor

ignorant - Just because I do not F'N believe in the liberal side of issues.  I'm ignorant cause I don't believe in baby murder, because I don't support 395 Mens' wrestling teams being cut, because I don't support my sister mixing viagra pills for a man to go out and spread AIDS to women all over the damn city, because I don't smile at two guys making out at full go infront of a 7 year old kid, because I'm more about all around education rather than pouring all the money into mathematics and science, because I dont' look at God as a figure man created inorder to keep the thought of moral issues alive.

Learn to accept that not everyone is the same.

you got a toad in the frog house, deal with it.

Written By: Powerslave on 10/03/05 at 2:06 am

I stand by what I said. If you can be pig-headed, boorish and stubborn, so can I. As for the liberal attitudes here, I've admitted to being wrong or misinformed on more than one occasion.

Jesus was a teacher. He preached tolerance, understanding, love and peace. You just seem to spout disdain, spite and hatefulness. That's more like what Satan would do than Jesus, if you ask me.

As for mathematics and science, that's real knowledge. Everything else is just frosting. Stop hijacking threads with your own self-indulgent bullsh!t.

Mushroom, if you ever come back to this thread and read this, I apologise for calling you an as!hole.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/03/05 at 3:39 am

If you read this "Canadians are pedophiles" fact thing in a legitimate magazine, maybe you can source it for us, because that's kind of unbelievable.

Written By: Powerslave on 10/03/05 at 3:56 am

If you read this "Canadians are pedophiles" fact thing in a legitimate magazine, maybe you can source it for us, because that's kind of unbelievable.

If I understand this issue (and I haven't seen the article, nor any mention of this anywhere else), a magazine ran the results of a poll which suggested that a majority of respondents were in favour of changing the age of consent laws so that it would no longer be a crime for older teens (17+) to have consentual sex with younger teens (15 -16). Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems to be the gist of it. Harmonica hasn't exactly explained it very well. How he has established that this would mean Canadians support pedophilia shows something of a gap in logic.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/03/05 at 4:01 am

I don't see how that would constitute pedophilia unless it was like a 70-year-old man hitting on a kindergartener because of these new laws :P  Which, from what you explained, is not the case.

Back on topic, I wonder how Mushroom's reenlistment is going :)

Written By: Powerslave on 10/03/05 at 4:47 am

I don't see how that would constitute pedophilia unless it was like a 70-year-old man hitting on a kindergartener because of these new laws :P  Which, from what you explained, is not the case.

Back on topic, I wonder how Mushroom's reenlistment is going :)

The definition of pedophilia is rather problematic anyway. Alarmists would suggest that anyone having sex with anyone under the age of consent constitutes pedophilia; others would say that it's only pedophilia if it involves a child under the age of 13, or if the age gap between the parties is five years or more if the younger person is under 18. Legally, there's no definition of pedophilia in law. The term "pedophilia" is a medical one, not a legal one.

I hope Mushroom is doing well also.  :)  We may disagree a lot, but I wish him no ill.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 8:45 am

I stand by what I said. If you can be pig-headed, boorish and stubborn, so can I. As for the liberal attitudes here, I've admitted to being wrong or misinformed on more than one occasion.

Jesus was a teacher. He preached tolerance, understanding, love and peace. You just seem to spout disdain, spite and hatefulness. That's more like what Satan would do than Jesus, if you ask me.

As for mathematics and science, that's real knowledge. Everything else is just frosting. Stop hijacking threads with your own self-indulgent bullsh!t.

Mushroom, if you ever come back to this thread and read this, I apologise for calling you an as!hole.

YOu go ahead and stand stupidly next to you're unjust stupid statements.

"As for mathematics and science, that's real knowledge. Everything else is just frosting. Stop hijacking threads with your own self-indulgent bullsh!t."  - Right there, right frickin right joyfully here.  Perfect example that illustrates my point.  You know it all. Know it all.  Math and Science ARE the ONLY important subjects and HARMONICA is ALONE on believing that history, english, and the arts importance is high in a school setting. 

Jesus didn't tolerate everyone, when he went into the garden he stepped on the head of the serpent.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/05 at 10:39 am

That is why I have stopped arguing with him-because it just makes him come up with something even more idioitic than before. It is not worth my time. And I apoligized to Mushroom.

Cat

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 10:49 am

That is why I have stopped arguing with him-because it just makes him come up with something even more idioitic than before. It is not worth my time. And I apoligized to Mushroom.

Cat

Take your ball and go home.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/03/05 at 10:59 am

WELL SAID Powerslave - and btw Harmonica, the word HATE is not in a Christian's vocabulary.

I've always thought that your avatar seems to emphasise the exact opposite of how you are, or how you come across.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 11:09 am

WELL SAID Powerslave - and btw Harmonica, the word HATE is not in a Christian's vocabulary.

I've always thought that your avatar seems to emphasise the exact opposite of how you are, or how you come across.

Explain to me in full detail, using all post from all categories exactly how I come across as the Devil.  Cause if I am the Devil, I'm doing a lot of things wrong in my outlook on life.  Way to much love, way to little hate.

Hate is too in a christian's vocabulary. 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/03/05 at 11:32 am

Has anyone ever heard of the metaphorical term - 'You might aswell just hit your head off a brickwall'  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 11:39 am

Has anyone ever heard of the metaphorical term - 'You might aswell just hit your head off a brickwall'   ::) ::) ::)

Well you've ALWAYS thought.  Always does mean always. So on every single post that I have ever written that you have ever came across, I was forseen as the devil by you.  Not a few times, not some times, not half the time, not even most of the time, but ALL the time. 

Written By: B. Damaged on 10/03/05 at 12:47 pm

It's not so much whose right and wrong, it's whose logical and whose irrational.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 1:55 pm

It's not so much whose right and wrong, it's whose logical and whose irrational.

All liberal views are logical. All Conservative views are irrational.  When someone bashes me it's in logical intention.  When I bash back it's irrational.  To be a sheep without reason is logical and to actually have a different view on things is irrational.
It's logical to knock someone for being a christian and point fingers for there faith, but irrational to question a atheist.  It's logical to make claims that you don't stand by if your liberal but irrational to make claims and actually stand by them if you're a conservative.  Logical to gang up on someone for being different, but irrational to stand up for yourself when your the only one who's gonna stand.

I have strong grip on what you hold irrational and logical, and it comes down to nothing more than stats. 

Written By: B. Damaged on 10/03/05 at 2:25 pm

You can be conservative and republican and still be rational and able to make intelligent statements.

Written By: STAR70 on 10/03/05 at 4:18 pm

My initial enlistment though will be for the standard term, 6 years.

which means you'll probably be sent to Iraq. any thoughts about this?

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 4:34 pm

You can be conservative and republican and still be rational and able to make intelligent statements.

But utterly uncomprehensible to be liberal and illogical?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/03/05 at 6:18 pm

which means you'll probably be sent to Iraq. any thoughts about this?

It sounds from one of Mushroom's posts that it is more likely that he be used as a drill instructor or some form of tactician because of his extensive experience, and not so much as an actual combatant.  Either way, it seems likely that he would be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan since they need lots of people in those areas.

Whatever happens, best and safe wishes to you sir.

Written By: Powerslave on 10/04/05 at 1:59 am

Mushroom's post also implied that he could well be asked to go to Iraq and that he doesn't have a problem with that.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/04/05 at 10:37 am

Wow, I do not check in here for a weekend, and I see I missed a war.  :P

A lot of people in here have commented on how I can often be cold, and seem uncareing.  I think they confuse my logical-factual stances with not careing.  What they do not see is that I simply disassociate emotion from logic in these cases.  I may not like what I see as the best solution for a problem, but it is the best solution that I see.

This is one reason why I try to avoid making "emotional" posts in here.  To me, screaming a viewpoint from an emotional basis does not mean it is right.  Before I make posts in here, I try to strip away all emotion from it, making an opinion based on facts, not feelings.

A good example is when I proposed a permanent evacuation of New Orleans.  Do I want to see that, and make tens of thousands of people homeless?  Of course not.  However, I see it as the better solution, when compared to the amount of money that would be spent trying to recover the area, only to see this happen again a few years down the line.  And make no mistakes, if rebuilt New Orleans will be devistated again.  No matter how high they build the dykes, something will go wrong and it will once again be underwater.

For those that got in the "pissing contest", all I can do is urge all of you to try and remain calm, and remember that simply because somebody disagrees with you, it does not mean that either of you is "wrong".  Most of what is said here is opinion, not fact.  But all to many times, I see people accept opinion as fact.  That is dangerous, and does nobody any good.

And it will be at least 1-2 months before I am able to go in the Guard.  There is a lot of paperwork and stuff to do first.  And more then likely, I will be in a maintenance support unit.  I am far to old to go back to being in the Infantry.  That is very much a young man's game.

And yes, if given the chance, I will go to Iraq (or anyplace else overseas).  I love challenge, and the idea of helping a country rebuild is something that I would greatly enjoy.  I meet veterans every day who have returned from serving there and in Afganistan.  The things they tell me is so different from what I hear on the news.  The thing that they say frustrates them most is that the things they hear on the news here has almost nothing to do with what they see every day.

But then again, good news does not sell papers, only bad news does.  Nobody wants to hear about the large numbers of explosives discovered along the roadside.  They only want to hear about the ones they missed that blew up.  Nobody wants to hear about terrorists captured before something happens, only about the ones that kill themselves along with a few dozen bystanders.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/04/05 at 4:33 pm

I have the greatest respect for you Mushroom - go for it  :) :)

ps. you might wanna take Harmonica with you, a slice of real life might sort him out and give him some balanced views on the World.   ;D

You can put me through the depths of hell, I ain't for cutting men's collegiate sports, I ain't for baby killing, I ain't for legalizign mary jane, I ain't for selling viagra to AIDS infested men, and I ain't for homosexual marriage by a Bible and I never will be.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/04/05 at 4:35 pm

What on Earth are you bloody well on about???  Are you on drugs or something? - your reply makes no sense whatsoever and doesn't pertain to any of the other posts!!  I give up.    ::) ::)

Makes no sense?

You said ALWAYS, prove that you mean ALWAYS. cause I see SOMETIMES being an option.  I see A FEW TIMES being an option.  I can see MOST OF THE TIME being an option, but I don't see ALWAYS being in the case.

So nice if you would nicely please explain ALWAYS, under the terms.  Thank you.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/05 at 5:35 pm

^Just stop!

Time to make this thread all about Mushy again. 

Written By: Mushroom on 10/04/05 at 9:29 pm

^Just stop!

Time to make this thread all about Mushy again. 

LOL!

Actually, that was never the intent of starting this.  Mostly, I wanted to show that there is often a difference between talking about something, and doing something about it.

And it was also to show that some of the things people talk about in here affect real people.  I know that very few in here have ever been in the military.  It is a lifestyle and life choice that is so totally foreign to what most in here can even think about.  When you join, you are turning your life over for at least 4 years.

I did it for 10 years, and absolutely loved it.  I did things that most here will never do, and went places that most people will never go to.  Some in here may talk about what it is like in Japan, but I lived it.  People in here can talk about life in Central America, but I have been there.

As I states before, to me it is all about Service.  When I am in the military, I feel complete.  I know that the things I do make a difference.  The pay sucks, the hours are long, the actual rewards are almost non-existant.  But the feeling I get when it is all said and done is well worth it.

And you do not have to join the Military to get it.  There are the Auxiliarry units, like Civil Air Patrol and Coast Guard Auxilliary.  There is also groups like Boy and Girl Scouts, charity organizations, and civic organizations.  There are also groups like ACLU, Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, Anti-Defamation Leagues of various types, and many many more.  ThereThe point I was making is that it is often easy to "bitch" about things, but it is much harder to roll your sleeves up and go and do something about it.

For anybody that would be interested in doing something to help areas devistated by Katrina, there is http://www.globalcrossroad.com/volunteer-katrina/ .  This is a website that concentrates on finding people who are willing to roll up their sleeves and actually do something, not just send money.  There is no fee involved, and they will provide food and shelter.  Currently, they are in need of medical personel.  If anybody here is a doctor or nurse, please check them out.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/04/05 at 11:54 pm

Mushroom, you pretty much described how I feel when I'm doing Cub Scouts with my sons. It really irritates the crap out of me that people will sit there and b!tch about what we are or aren't doing, but when it comes time to step up to the plate and volunteer, they can't be bothered. Right now, I have 17 kids in my den because none of the "new" parents want to be leaders. Heck, unless I get at least 1 other leader (2 would be much better...if we got 3, we could have 2 dens - which we really should), we won't even have 1 den ::) And, these parents who "can't" be den leaders will be the first to stand up and complain because THEIR son is missing out. The reason I became a den leader is because they didn't have enough and I didn't want any of the kids to miss out. And, even though I had no clue what I was doing, my husband is rarely home, I have 2 other sons to care for, and I was going to school, I managed to find the time. But let me tell you, the look on a boys face when he does something that I taught him or the smiles they had when they received their badges that they worked all last year for.....THOSE things make it well worth the hassle :)

Sounds like the same issues we have with Girl Scouts.  No one wants to help, but they whine when the girls don't get to do as much.  It got so bad that our Brownie leader threatened not to sell cookies last year because no one would open up and help. 

Written By: karen on 10/05/05 at 3:23 am

Same problems on the side of the Atlantic as well.

Written By: Powerslave on 10/05/05 at 8:36 am

Hey ya, that Scouts thing sounds damn familiar. I was a Scout from the age of 7 through to 18 and I would say that 80% of the parents who had kids in the Group with me used it as a child-minding service most of the time. Both my parents did a lot for that Group, but most of the others were ghosts. I don't think I even met some of them, and I was a member for over a decade.

Written By: Ophrah on 10/05/05 at 9:11 am

I find that when I need volunteers for something, like Sunday School projects, I'm more successful if I approach parents and ask them specifically.  I know that when I myself hear someone ask for volunteers for something, I don't necessarily volunteer unless it's something I especially WANT to do, because I have other things to do and I assume someone else who's really interested will volunteer, but if someone calls me and specifically asks for my help I'm more likely to say yes.

Written By: karen on 10/05/05 at 9:59 am

Maybe it's how you were brought up?  My parents have been involved in supporting our activities at school and outside.  They were both in the Parent/Teacher association and actively fund raising for the schools we attended.  Both have been involved in Scouting and have helped at Guiding events I was doing (in Britain at the time there were two single sex organisations).  Whereas my husbands parents didn't really get that involved in things and so he doesn't.  He'd rather give a donation to the group than run a stall at the Christmas Fair for example.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/05 at 11:26 am

Mushroom, you pretty much described how I feel when I'm doing Cub Scouts with my sons.  It really irritates the crap out of me that people will sit there and b!tch about what we are or aren't doing, but when it comes time to step up to the plate and volunteer, they can't be bothered.  Right now, I have 17 kids in my den because none of the "new" parents want to be leaders.  Heck, unless I get at least 1 other leader (2 would be much better...if we got 3, we could have 2 dens - which we really should), we won't even have 1 den ::)  And, these parents who "can't" be den leaders will be the first to stand up and complain because THEIR son is missing out.  The reason I became a den leader is because they didn't have enough and I didn't want any of the kids to miss out.  And, even though I had no clue what I was doing, my husband is rarely home, I have 2 other sons to care for, and I was going to school, I managed to find the time.  But let me tell you, the look on a boys face when he does something that I taught him or the smiles they had when they received their badges that they worked all last year for.....THOSE things make it well worth the hassle :)

I hated the fact that I had to quit my voluteer position at the local food shelf. I highly believed in the work but I was extremely stressed out and was being hassled by people who couldn't be bothered to do the job the themselves. I still feel a bit quilty about it (even though it has been about a year and a half since I quit). I am hoping that in a few years, there will be a turn-over of volunteers and I will go back again.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/09/05 at 6:08 pm

Right now I am readying myself to realize a dream of mine that many misguided,misinformed people in my past told me I'd never be able to do because of my mental illness...going to college for an associate's degree in psychology,to become a peer counselor. I want to be able to help other mental-health consumers...many who have similar backgrounds like mine.

In the meantime I plan to get a volunteer job teaching computer skills to others,for free. I want to share my knowledge of computers because they have made my life more interesting...and there's lots to learn with computers that is both practical as well as fun stuff.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/09/05 at 6:21 pm

Good for you for following your dream.  With that attitude, I don't doubt you will do well. :)

Written By: Mushroom on 03/13/06 at 4:49 pm

I thought I would post an update in here, since things are finally moving again.

I did have an interview with my recruiter in October, and that basically went nowhere.  I continues to see him every 2 weeks, and nothing ever happened.  No paperwork was ever given to me, I was never sent down for a physical.

Finally I went back in Mid-February, and found out there is a new recruiter.  It seems that the old one knew in September that he was pending orders, and he simply did not care to take on any new "work".  A classic example of lame duckitis.  3 weeks ago, a new recruiter took over the office, and he put my paperwork on the fast-track.

I just got back from having my Enlistment Physical, and unless something shows up in my bloodwork I passed.  Next step is taking the ASVAB again, then doing the remaining paperwork.  Hopefully, I should be able to raise my hand by the end of next month.  They are only waiting for a copy of my Discharge Paperwork.

I had my physical at Fort Benning Georgia, and that was an experience.  At the same time I was taking mine, there was a platoon of Recruits getting theirs.  They all kept staring at me, this long haired old fart.  It was an interesting experience, getting an enlistment physical, knowing that most of the others in line are the same age as my oldest son!  There was even a guy getting his Retirement Physical, who was younger then I am.

I will let ya all know when something else happens.  But since the only part I was worried about is now behind me, I do not know of anything that can stop me now.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/06 at 6:08 pm

I thought I would post an update in here, since things are finally moving again.

I did have an interview with my recruiter in October, and that basically went nowhere.  I continues to see him every 2 weeks, and nothing ever happened.  No paperwork was ever given to me, I was never sent down for a physical.

Finally I went back in Mid-February, and found out there is a new recruiter.  It seems that the old one knew in September that he was pending orders, and he simply did not care to take on any new "work".  A classic example of lame duckitis.  3 weeks ago, a new recruiter took over the office, and he put my paperwork on the fast-track.

I just got back from having my Enlistment Physical, and unless something shows up in my bloodwork I passed.  Next step is taking the ASVAB again, then doing the remaining paperwork.  Hopefully, I should be able to raise my hand by the end of next month.  They are only waiting for a copy of my Discharge Paperwork.

I had my physical at Fort Benning Georgia, and that was an experience.  At the same time I was taking mine, there was a platoon of Recruits getting theirs.  They all kept staring at me, this long haired old fart.  It was an interesting experience, getting an enlistment physical, knowing that most of the others in line are the same age as my oldest son!  There was even a guy getting his Retirement Physical, who was younger then I am.

I will let ya all know when something else happens.  But since the only part I was worried about is now behind me, I do not know of anything that can stop me now.  :)

I admire what you are doing (and given you applause for it). I would never go back in again (even if my vision was normal)-Been there, done that.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 03/14/06 at 12:57 pm

Good for you, Mushroom :)  I have to say, we'll miss you here, though...

Well, unless I am in a unit that is being deployed, I will have to be in my local unit for at least 6 months before I can request a transfer to a deploying unit.  So you should have me for at least that long.

Of course, the unit I am going to try and join is getting ready for a 4 month deployment to Thailand.  They are going there to assist in rebuilding after the tsunami.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/14/06 at 1:26 pm

Well, unless I am in a unit that is being deployed, I will have to be in my local unit for at least 6 months before I can request a transfer to a deploying unit.  So you should have me for at least that long.

Of course, the unit I am going to try and join is getting ready for a 4 month deployment to Thailand.  They are going there to assist in rebuilding after the tsunami.

Even though we disagree politically, you're a nice guy and I respect you, I think it's great that you're still willing to serve even with your bad knee. I wish you luck. I gave you an applause too.  :)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/15/06 at 10:21 pm

My cat Tika, I adopted her from the county animal shelter...once in a while, I donate bags of cat chow and litter to the shelter, I'm grateful that they let me take Tika into my home.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/15/06 at 10:39 pm

I have good liberal friends and I admire a lot of liberal ideas.  Not all liberals in this world are as shallow as the majority of the liberals on this board and there are those among the liberals on this board who understand that they are not impeccable in there beliefs.  You being one of them. 
I admire the good things people do regardless of whether they're liberal, conservative or independent.  But I refuse to read here on this message board that every single liberal idea and movement is 110% without flaw and no other outside idea can be right because liberal views are 100% correct.  Then have to listen to how all conservative ideas, every single cotten picken one of them is wrong and stupid.  How in no way shape or form could they be right. 
There is a kid on campus who I consider to be a friend. Strong liberal, extremely strong liberal, but even he isn't so concieted to think that liberal ideas do not have flaws. He can see the good in some conservative views.   I'm glad to run into liberals like him and my best friend who is also a liberal, because if all I had to look at was the majority of liberals on this board, it's, "Hey respect my beliefs(WHICH ARE TRUE), and I'll respect yours(WHICH ARE IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM TRUE.) 

I'm glad you made a donation and I'm glad other liberals made there donations.  I'll give you a list of liberal ideas that I'm in favor of and support.  Good luck getting any more than 3 liberals to sincerely and I mean sincerely write at least 2 good things about conservative ideas.  Then at least one bad thing about liberal ideas.  I'm sure someone will want to put me in my place and go google something for a half hour so they can make me look bad, but you'll get maybe 2 people to sincerely write it down.
I am a registered Democrat, I registered Democrat because honestly, I don't see or hear about Republicans supporting social programs (although the consumer-run housing I'm now living in was supported by GOP party member and New Jersey ex-Governor Thomas Kean back in 1989)and yes, I do contribute to worthy causes...I have been an active advocate for mental health consumers' rights, and I've done workshops at various mental health consumer/survivor conferences, including the national conference held in Berkeley, California in 1991...I have told the state about certain psychiatric partial-care programs not being ADA compliant when it comes to hard-of-hearing people like my roommate(his program got wind of my doing so and berated him for not saying anything,but he's actually too afraid to and they don't seem to get that he is)....and I also do computer stuff for my housing people, gratis, like flyers for parties, picnics, trainings, and other events...and if I hear that anyone is involved in pit bull fighting or cockfighting...I get enough info by listening and then I call the county SPCA. I cannot stand by and not care about things like that.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/24/06 at 1:51 pm

It is amazing what difference one little word makes.

After 4 months of trying to get the Department Of The Navy to send my DD-214 to me, I finally called my US Senator.  Less then 2 weeks later, I am now holding it in my hand.

Is funny how having the title "Senator" can make beaurocrats jump hoops to keep you happy.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/24/06 at 4:13 pm

It is amazing what difference one little word makes.

After 4 months of trying to get the Department Of The Navy to send my DD-214 to me, I finally called my US Senator.  Less then 2 weeks later, I am now holding it in my hand.

Is funny how having the title "Senator" can make beaurocrats jump hoops to keep you happy.  :)

You didn't keep a copy of your DD-214 when you got out? I have mine in a safe place (and I know where it is  ;D ) and I have had to use it a few times in the last couple of years.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 03/24/06 at 5:09 pm

You didn't keep a copy of your DD-214 when you got out? I have mine in a safe place (and I know where it is  ;D ) and I have had to use it a few times in the last couple of years.

Yea, I do have a copy.  It is in the same envelope as my Birth Certificate.  I have been unable to find that envelope though.

After all the moves I have made in the last 5 years, I am sometimes amazed that I can find anything.  ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 5:10 pm

I got a bill in my mouth like Hillary Rodham  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 04/06/07 at 11:40 am

Wow, talk about a 2½ year odyssey!

Finally after multiple contacts with my congressman, multiple trips to MEPS (where you actually enlist), and multiple visits to doctors, it looks like I should be in the guard by mid-May.  And some of the things I have discovered are rather amazing.

One of the reasons I have not been on much in the last 2 weeks was going through the enlistment physicals.  And they have gotten a lot tougher then when I entered in 1983.  But at least I feel pretty good, since at 42, I was able to pass a physical designed for 18 year olds.  Now I only have one left, which is on hold until the end of the month when the doctor gets back from vacation.  Since I am over 40, I need to have a heart check, and a fuller blood screening (cholestrol and other things).

And when people are talking about lower enlistment numbers, I can give one damned good reason: higher rejection rates from MEPS.  At the Montgomery Alabama station, they have often times rejected up to 40% of applicants.

And it is mostly for a reason most would not suspect: weight.

I know some guys when I was in boot camp that were basically fat.  Some of these guys were easily 40-50 lbs overweight.  But it did not matter, since it all got worked off in boot camp.  But that is not the case anymore.  When processing in applicants, they follow the same requirements that Active Duty personnel have to follow.  And if the applicant is even 1 pound overweight, they are rejected.

I saw one guy rejected yesterday, who was 3 pounds overweight!  And for somebody 5'8", that is 170 lbs.  So if you are 171 lbs, don't even think of joining the military.  And never mind that most people burn off 10-15 lbs in boot camp.

I also saw a guy rejected because of acne!  There is some sort of chart they use, as to how many pimples you are allowed to have per square inch.  If you have more then that, you are not allowed in.  When I was 18, I probably would have failed that too, since I was a real "crater face".  You are also rejected if you have been on medication in the prior 5 years for ADHD.  Or if you have ever had a history of asthma.  And over the last 10 years, a lot of doctors have been useing asthma as a generic medical term for all sorts of things (insurance normally pays more for asthma treatment then they do for cold caused broncitus).

Getting into the military is almost insanely difficult now.  ASVAB test scores are higher then ever, GED waivers are harder to get, and height and weight requirements are being almost draconian in their application.  I only squeeked through because of my age.  At 5'9" 190 lbs, I failed my height by 8 lbs.  But luckily, I passed the body fat percentage (26% is the requirement, I came in at 23%.).  But that is not much help to most kids, since if you are 20 or under, the requirement is 20%.

Written By: spaceace on 04/06/07 at 1:14 pm

My brother was Army Airborne.  He said he'd go back in a heartbeat.  Unfortunatly he's 45 years old now obese and on pych meds.

Good luck Shrumie!!!  Stay safe. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tank.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/06/07 at 1:37 pm

My brother was Army Airborne.  He said he'd go back in a heartbeat.  Unfortunatly he's 45 years old now obese and on pych meds.

Good luck Shrumie!!!  Stay safe. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tank.gif

If they keep this war going and refuse to start a draft, they might welcome your brother regardless of age or medication regimen.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that for everybody's sake.
(I'm not referring to your brother per se, but to the idiotic policies implemented to keep this already-lost war going.)

::)

Written By: spaceace on 04/06/07 at 2:15 pm

If they keep this war going and refuse to start a draft, they might welcome your brother regardless of age or medication regimen.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that for everybody's sake.
(I'm not referring to your brother per se, but to the idiotic policies implemented to keep this already-lost war going.)

::)

Yeah, I know.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/08/07 at 8:34 pm

Well, as you can tell, it has been a long battle.

When I first started this thread almost 2 years ago, I was trying to join the National Guard.  But after countless jumping through hoops, 3 sets of physicals, and countless battles with paperwork, I finally gave up on trying to join the NG.

Last month, I went ahead and visited the Army recruiter, and today I got word back that all the waivers have been signed, and that I have been accepted.  So on Saturday morning, I am going to Montgomery to sign my contract and prepare to go on active duty.

In a way, I am rather surprised.  The original idea of joining the Guard was to find a way to "back into" the military, since waivers are normally easier to get from the Guard then they are the Army.  But every time the paperwork was submitted to the NGB (National Guard Bureau), it was like falling into a black hole.  Of course, I am really not surprised about this, since like most areas of the DOD, the Bureau-rat civilians really run things.  And as everybody knows, the favorite word of a Bureau-rat is "No".

Currently, I am planning on going on delayed entry until the end of September.  This will allow me time to place my affairs in order before I go to training.  I have an apartment of stuff to dispose of, and I need to get my van up and running again.

But at least I will be going back into the military, something I never wanted to leave in the first place.  And it just goes to show you, that you can do anything you set your mind to, no matter how old you are, or what obstacles are put in your path.

And yes, everybody out here thinks I am absolutely insane to going back in at my age.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/07 at 8:44 pm

When I first started this thread almost 2 years ago, I was trying to join the National Guard.  But after countless jumping through hoops, 3 sets of physicals, and countless battles with paperwork, I finally gave up on trying to join the NG.

Last month, I went ahead and visited the Army recruiter, and today I got word back that all the waivers have been signed, and that I have been accepted.  So on Saturday morning, I am going to Montgomery to sign my contract and prepare to go on active duty.

In a way, I am rather surprised.  The original idea of joining the Guard was to find a way to "back into" the military, since waivers are normally easier to get from the Guard then they are the Army.  But every time the paperwork was submitted to the NGB (National Guard Bureau), it was like falling into a black hole.  Of course, I am really not surprised about this, since like most areas of the DOD, the Bureau-rat civilians really run things.  And as everybody knows, the favorite word of a Bureau-rat is "No".

Currently, I am planning on going on delayed entry until the end of September.  This will allow me time to place my affairs in order before I go to training.  I have an apartment of stuff to dispose of, and I need to get my van up and running again.

But at least I will be going back into the military, something I never wanted to leave in the first place.  And it just goes to show you, that you can do anything you set your mind to, no matter how old you are, or what obstacles are put in your path.

And yes, everybody out here thinks I am absolutely insane to going back in at my age.

Congratulations, Mushroom!  And thank you for your service to our country.
You're a good man, Mush.  I don't care what they say!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/party.gif

Written By: Mushroom on 08/08/07 at 9:06 pm

Congratulations, Mushroom!  And thank you for your service to our country.
You're a good man, Mush.  I don't care what they say!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/party.gif

Hey, I don't care what they say either.

To me, the military has always been "A calling".  To me, it is one of the ultimate ways for me to serve my country.

Some people get a calling to join the Clergy of their faith.  Others hear it and become teachers, law enforcement, medical services, or even become fire fighters.  For me, it has always been the military.  It is something I have wanted since I was 8 years old, and it has never gone away.

And a lot of people simply can't understand what makes people do things like this.  To me it has nothing to do with politics, political parties, or any other such coprolite.  It is simply what I love doing, and is a way to give back to my country.  And hopefully help others.

And it is not just fighting wars either.  Whenever a disaster strikes, normally the first people on the ground outside of local fire and police are the US military.  When the tornado struck Enterprise High earlier this year, there were US Army helicopters landing on the school grounds before the tornado had even died.  While the NO fire and police departments were still in panic mode, the US Coast Guard was already evacuating people.  And the members of the Air Force bust their butt bringing supplies and people into (and out of) areas that need help.

Written By: Jessica on 08/08/07 at 9:22 pm

May the god/goddess of your choice keep you safe, Mushroom. I know I couldn't do it. Well, I couldn't anyways because I'm fat or something, but you know. :D

Good luck dude! :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/08/07 at 9:41 pm

Congrats Mushroom! :)

Written By: Mushroom on 08/08/07 at 10:09 pm

Congrats Mushroom! :)

Thanks Quirk.

What is amazing is that it has been such a battle.  In reality I started in 2004, but did not start seriously until 2005.  And it still took just under 2 years.  You would think to listen to some people that the military is dying for recruits.

Well, in reality this is not really true.  Because while it is true that recruitment is at almost record lows, retention is at almost record highs.  In fact, enlistment and retention has been far above normal in the Active Duty componants.  It is only in the Reserve and National Guard componants that enlistment and retention has been below expectations.

Translation:  more people are joining and staying in active duty then they are in the National Guard and Reserve.

Normally, the military is lucky if it sees a 20% retention rate beyond 4-6 years.  In the last 4 years, the average retention rate has been almost 35%.  The only reason it has not been higher is that the military simply can't handle more people staying in.  As it is, the large numbers now may end up playing havock in the future with promotions.

People think that the military is a job for morons or loosers.  But it is actually very hard to get in nowadays.  It is not like it was in our grandparents (or parents) day.  You have to have a clean criminal record, pass a background test, take a test showing that you are not among the bottom 35% of the population in reguards to intelligence, and pass both a physical and drug test.

I took 3 full physicals this time, in addition to retaking the ASVAB and mountains of paperwork and red tape.  It was harder this time then it was in 1982 when I joined the first time.  And back then, they would take almost anybody.  A high school diploma was not required in 1982, and they would allow you in as long as you were within 50 lbs of the height-weight standard.

Today, it is hard to get in even with a GED.  In 1982 they would waive drug use short of a possession conviction (and sometimes even waive that).  Today, you must have a 100% clean drug history (at least as far as they can prove).  And if you are even 1 pound over the height-weight standard of active duty requirements, they will not take you.  And like I have said before, I have even seen them reject people this time around for having to much acne!  One guy was refused being sent to Marine Corps boot camp because he was 3 lbs overweight.  Heck, the bowl movement he would have had on the flight to South Carolina would probably have been more then 3 lbs.

If nothing else, at least it is nice to know that I am not as fat and stupid as I have long thought I was, since I was smart enough and in good enough shape to get back in the military.

To bad it does not solve my problem if being ugly.  Because if I am not fat or stupid, that must be the only reason why I am still single.

;D :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/08/07 at 10:46 pm

Thanks Quirk.

What is amazing is that it has been such a battle.  In reality I started in 2004, but did not start seriously until 2005.  And it still took just under 2 years.  You would think to listen to some people that the military is dying for recruits.

Well, in reality this is not really true.  Because while it is true that recruitment is at almost record lows, retention is at almost record highs.  In fact, enlistment and retention has been far above normal in the Active Duty componants.  It is only in the Reserve and National Guard componants that enlistment and retention has been below expectations.

Translation:  more people are joining and staying in active duty then they are in the National Guard and Reserve.

Normally, the military is lucky if it sees a 20% retention rate beyond 4-6 years.  In the last 4 years, the average retention rate has been almost 35%.  The only reason it has not been higher is that the military simply can't handle more people staying in.  As it is, the large numbers now may end up playing havock in the future with promotions.

People think that the military is a job for morons or loosers.  But it is actually very hard to get in nowadays.  It is not like it was in our grandparents (or parents) day.  You have to have a clean criminal record, pass a background test, take a test showing that you are not among the bottom 35% of the population in reguards to intelligence, and pass both a physical and drug test.

I took 3 full physicals this time, in addition to retaking the ASVAB and mountains of paperwork and red tape.  It was harder this time then it was in 1982 when I joined the first time.  And back then, they would take almost anybody.  A high school diploma was not required in 1982, and they would allow you in as long as you were within 50 lbs of the height-weight standard.

Today, it is hard to get in even with a GED.  In 1982 they would waive drug use short of a possession conviction (and sometimes even waive that).  Today, you must have a 100% clean drug history (at least as far as they can prove).  And if you are even 1 pound over the height-weight standard of active duty requirements, they will not take you.  And like I have said before, I have even seen them reject people this time around for having to much acne!  One guy was refused being sent to Marine Corps boot camp because he was 3 lbs overweight.  Heck, the bowl movement he would have had on the flight to South Carolina would probably have been more then 3 lbs.

If nothing else, at least it is nice to know that I am not as fat and stupid as I have long thought I was, since I was smart enough and in good enough shape to get back in the military.

To bad it does not solve my problem if being ugly.  Because if I am not fat or stupid, that must be the only reason why I am still single.

;D :D

well, I admire your determination. :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/08/07 at 11:17 pm

Way to go Mushroom.  Stay safe.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/09/07 at 12:41 pm

I have said this before that it is very commendable for you to do this. (WHY? That is beyond me but it is your choice and your decision and I admire you for making that choice).  I'm sure that I speak for others when I say that we all hope that you stay safe & that we will miss you around here but hope that you will be able to stop in from time to time to let us know how you are doing.

Applause to you, Brave Sir.

Cat

Written By: esoxslayer on 08/09/07 at 6:04 pm

Congratulations Mushroom..Semper Fi.......

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/09/07 at 10:49 pm

Last month, I went ahead and visited the Army recruiter, and today I got word back that all the waivers have been signed, and that I have been accepted. 

As a civilian there ain't anything else I can say other than "thanks for serving".  Congrats, stay safe, and good luck. 

Written By: Mushroom on 08/11/07 at 7:37 pm

Well, I just got back from the MEPS station about an hour ago.  Everything is signed and I am ready to go.

I am leaving a little sooner then I expected:  August 22.  So that gives me just over a week and a half to set my affairs in order, either sell, give away, or put my stuff into storage, and prepare to leave for training.

My first step will be Fort Sill Oaklahoma, for about a week or so of processing, uniforms, and the like.  After that, it is off to White Sands New Mexico for what they call "Warrior Transition Training".  That is a month long "mini-boot camp" for people like me that have been out of the service for more then 4 years (I have been out for over 14).

Then after that, off to Fort Bliss Texas for advanced training.  Since the jobs I wanted were not available for several reasons, I ended up taking something I did not even consider:  Patriot Missile Crewman.  That is gonna mean almost 5 more months of training.  And there is a very good chance that within the next year I will end up in the sand box.

The only downside is going to be that I could only enlist for 3 years.  Because I have almost 10 years in already, I am grossly over-time for my rank (PFC, E-3).  I have 3 years to make Sergeant or I will be released for exceeding the maximum allowed time in service for my rank.  But I have a lot of drive, and a serious desire to stay in.  So I have a very good chance of making it.

So I may not be on very much in the comming months after this week.  But I will try to drop in from time to time and let you all know how things are going.

About the only thing that is gonna suck is that most of those I am going in with are young enough to be my kids!  Most of those I talked to in the last 2 days were not even born when I first entered the military.  And I know that at first I am gonna look really silly with PFC rank, 3 hash marks for time in service (1 mark equalls 3 years), and several ribbons and medals (most will not recognize because they are Marine Corps awards).

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/11/07 at 11:25 pm

^ Methinks you'll make it to a higher rank in no time.  Give'em hell!  :)

Written By: SemperYoda on 08/12/07 at 1:59 pm

Good luck Mushroom.  I hope it all works out for ya.

Written By: philbo on 08/13/07 at 3:57 am

Best of luck, Mushroom.  If they let you get a 'net connection from training camp, let us know how you're doing - 'specially when you get that promotion :)

Written By: Satish on 08/13/07 at 11:31 am

Good luck, Mushroom! Congratulations on following your dream! Stay safe!  :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/13/07 at 12:09 pm

Hey Mush, Cat has kept me abreast of the doings on the board, so I know of your plans.  Good luck to you my friend.  Stay well and keep in touch.

Best, D.C.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/13/07 at 5:00 pm

Best of luck, Mushroom.  If they let you get a 'net connection from training camp, let us know how you're doing - 'specially when you get that promotion :)

Well, I have been doing some research, and am not sure about that.

My information says that laptops are allowed.  But it says nothing about internet.  I know that during the first month or so, I am probably going to be far to busy to get much time on-line, even if I can.  "Warrior Transition" seems to be a pretty full schedule, 4am-8pm for 4 weeks.  That will last until late September.

But after that, I will be moving on to Fort Bliss for job training.  That will probably be much more relaxed.  I am really not going to be able to make any kind of plans like that until then.  I will be there for about 5 months, so should finish sometime in February-March.  And after that, I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen.

Hey Mush, Cat has kept me abreast of the doings on the board, so I know of your plans.  Good luck to you my friend.  Stay well and keep in touch.

Best, D.C.

Thanks Don Carlos (end everybody else that has wished me well, forgive me if I do not mention you all by name).  It has been a heck of a long struggle.  And everybody still thinks I am insane to be doing this.  But I don't care, because it is something that *I* really want to do.

And after doing a little research on the net, I discovered that there is a Patriot Battery stationed at Kadena Airforce Base in Okinawa.  That is actually the location that I most want to be stationed at.  I lived there for over a year when I was in the Marines, and I absolutely loved it.  The island and people are wonderful, and it has the best SCUBA diving I have ever experienced.  If I am lucky enough to do that, I am most definately going to have to arrange to do a dive at the Pyramid at Yonaguni.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonaguni_monument#Seabed_structures

Written By: philbo on 08/13/07 at 5:21 pm

"Warrior Transition" seems to be a pretty full schedule, 4am-8pm for 4 weeks.  That will last until late September.

But after that, I will be moving on to Fort Bliss for job training.  That will probably be much more relaxed.

...coming after that sort of schedule, "Fort Bliss" may well appear to be just that :)

Written By: Red Ant on 08/14/07 at 10:43 pm

Mushroom, though we've had our differences of opinion on this board (and no doubt will continue to when you get back  ;)), I want you to know I am fully supportive of your decision to fight for our country.

Kudos to you, sir.

Ant

PS: The Navy personnel I've known take laptops with them over to Kuwait for their customs duty. I haven't heard much from them at all while they are over there, but you probably will have internet access at various times. Note that many of those laptops are destroyed by the sand, but if you get a chance, keep us up to date on how you are doing.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/14/07 at 11:31 pm

After that, it is off to White Sands New Mexico

You might be in the neighborhood on one of the days it's open to the public (or simply have access during your copious free time on base), and if you do, I'd encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity to visit Trinity Site.  Humanity earned its ticket to play in the big leagues on that spot, and us civilians only get to visit twice a year. 

About the only thing that is gonna suck is that most of those I am going in with are young enough to be my kids!

In private industry, that's what's called "a golden opportunity to demonstrate leadership skills".  Those stripes will come quickly.

My information says that laptops are allowed.  But it says nothing about internet. 

Ask your CO; he'll know.  There are rules, but as I understand them, they're pretty much what you'd consider common sense.  You're old enough and wise enough to know about awpseck (gawsh, mah paranoia makes me type acronyms fonetikally, even though our computers are probably smart enough to figure out what I'm talking about and register me as knowing something more than most civvies and forwurd this post fer addition to mah profile - HAI GUYZ! - even though I'm actually on the same side :) and how two or three pieces of disparate information can be pieced together to become more than the sum of its parts.  So as for the blogging, I'd only suggest that you make sure the rest of the folks you're training with (especially those of the Myspace generation :) learn from your wisdom.

Ain't really my place to assess your prospects, but from what I saw of you as a civvie on this board, you'll do good, and you'll do us proud. 

Written By: Mushroom on 08/22/07 at 6:07 pm

Thought I would give everybody a quick update.

I am at the airport in Atlanta,  waiting for my flght to Oaklahoma.  Will probably not be back till next week at the earliest.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/07 at 6:42 pm

Thought I would give everybody a quick update.

I am at the airport in Atlanta,  waiting for my flght to Oaklahoma.  Will probably not be back till next week at the earliest.

I'm rooting for you, Mush! 

I'd say "Semper Fi," but I was never in the Corps, so it ain't really my place!
;)

Written By: Mushroom on 08/22/07 at 9:29 pm

I'm rooting for you, Mush! 

I'd say "Semper Fi," but I was never in the Corps, so it ain't really my place!
;)

LOL, thanks Max.  I am no longer in the Corps, but I know what you mean.

I wrote the first message on one of those kiosks at Atlanta, and the thing really sucked.  The space bar either did not work, or threw down 10 spaces at once.  But I just arrived at Oaklahoma City, and am awaiting transportation to Fort Sill.  Been up since 4am, and still have a 2 hour bus ride to get to base.  Talk about a long day, if I am lucky will be in bed by 1am.

And the depots everywhere are running full-speed.  I am part of a group of 20 just from Montgomery, and there are another 60 shipping from there tomorrow.  Thank goodness for the USO, at least their computers are free, and are working properly.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/27/07 at 8:17 pm

Well, it has been one hell of a first week.  I am just finishing processing, and am already bone tired.  4am-6pm work days can really take it out of ya.  Not to mention standing around for hours in the hot sun.

I am gonna be posting mostly on my MySpace page for the next few weeks, since the kiosk here at the PX does not seem to like InThe00s.  It takes forever to bring up anything from this site. :(  And my laptop seems to have taken a dump on the way here.  Now I have to decide if I stick to the kiosk, or throw down $700 for a new one at the exchange.

One thing I can tell you though, is that Fort Sill is hot.  It seems that I spend most of my day standing around outside in one formation or another.  I am just gratefull that it is a dry heat, and not humid like it is back in Alabama.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/28/07 at 9:29 pm

Well, some people have obviously missed the fact that I have joined the military.  ;D

Yes, I did go ahead and do it.  42 years old, and I am in the Active Duty Army.  I am currently at Fort Bliss (outside El Paso Texas), undergoing training as a Patriot Missile Crewman.  I have no idea where I am going to be stationed, but my 3 requests in order are:

Okinawa, Japan
Southwest Asia (currently Patriot is deployed in Quatar)
Germany

While I know I am to old to be in the Infantry anymore (my job with the Marines for 10 years), this is a Combat Arm that I am able to do, even with my bad knees and old age.

I went back in for several reasons.  The benefits (I can retire in 10 more years), the experience, the ability to travel, and the simple fact that I have always wanted to be in the military.  When I got out in 1993 it was against my will.

Plus I support what is being done in the "War On Terrorism".  I see a lot of truely evil things going on in the world today, and want to do my part to stop them.  I have never been the kind to sit back and say "That is horrible, I wish somebody would do something about it".  I would much rather roll up my sleeves and do something myself.

And while it did not influence my decision, it also gives me a chance when people say "But it is not you/your children at risk" to respond "Yes, it is my life that I risk when I support such decisions".  That is one of the reasons I named this topic what I did.  I truely am "Putting my money where my mouth is."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/07 at 11:56 am

Well, some people have obviously missed the fact that I have joined the military.  ;D

Yes, I did go ahead and do it.  42 years old, and I am in the Active Duty Army.  I am currently at Fort Bliss (outside El Paso Texas), undergoing training as a Patriot Missile Crewman.  I have no idea where I am going to be stationed, but my 3 requests in order are:

Okinawa, Japan
Southwest Asia (currently Patriot is deployed in Quatar)
Germany

While I know I am to old to be in the Infantry anymore (my job with the Marines for 10 years), this is a Combat Arm that I am able to do, even with my bad knees and old age.

I went back in for several reasons.  The benefits (I can retire in 10 more years), the experience, the ability to travel, and the simple fact that I have always wanted to be in the military.  When I got out in 1993 it was against my will.

Plus I support what is being done in the "War On Terrorism".  I see a lot of truely evil things going on in the world today, and want to do my part to stop them.  I have never been the kind to sit back and say "That is horrible, I wish somebody would do something about it".  I would much rather roll up my sleeves and do something myself.

And while it did not influence my decision, it also gives me a chance when people say "But it is not you/your children at risk" to respond "Yes, it is my life that I risk when I support such decisions".  That is one of the reasons I named this topic what I did.  I truely am "Putting my money where my mouth is."

Welcome back.

As for your choices-you know they are going to send you to the furthest place from your choices. My first duty assignment, I wanted state-side. I put in for the northeast and the 1 place I didn't want to go was the Middle East-so, they wanted to send me to Turkey.  ::) (I swapped assignments and ended up in San Antonio, Tx)

After I did my overseas tour in Greece (which was not even on my "dream sheet"), again, I put in for the northeast-then they wanted to send me to Montana-well, they got the "north" correct. But, I got out so my orders to Montana were redlined.

Good-luck in whatever assignment they give you. How much longer do you have with your training?

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 09/29/07 at 12:28 pm

Good luck, be safe, and thank you.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/29/07 at 4:03 pm

As for your choices-you know they are going to send you to the furthest place from your choices.

LOL, tell me about it!

When I first went in in 1983, I mostly wanted to travel and "see the world".  I was from LA, so where did they send me?

Long Beach, California!  I spent my first 4 years less then an hour from home.  Granted, once I reenlisted I got to travel all over the place, but it was not quite the same.  Hopefully this time I will get more chances to travel.  That has been true so far, since I have already been to Fort Sill Oaklahoma, Santa Fe & White Sands New Mexico, and now El Paso Texas.

Of course, if my luck is as it was last time, I will probably find myself back at Fort Rucker, 30 minutes outside of Dothan Alabama where I started.

???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/07 at 4:53 pm

LOL, tell me about it!

When I first went in in 1983, I mostly wanted to travel and "see the world".  I was from LA, so where did they send me?

Long Beach, California!  I spent my first 4 years less then an hour from home.  Granted, once I reenlisted I got to travel all over the place, but it was not quite the same.  Hopefully this time I will get more chances to travel.  That has been true so far, since I have already been to Fort Sill Oaklahoma, Santa Fe & White Sands New Mexico, and now El Paso Texas.

Of course, if my luck is as it was last time, I will probably find myself back at Fort Rucker, 30 minutes outside of Dothan Alabama where I started.

???

I had often thought about putting down the place I least wanted to go-sort of a reverse psychology type thing-but just my luck, that probably would have been the place they would send me and say-"see, we listen to what people put on their 'dream sheets'. "

Cat

Written By: statsqueen on 09/29/07 at 9:35 pm

I had often thought about putting down the place I least wanted to go-sort of a reverse psychology type thing-but just my luck, that probably would have been the place they would send me and say-"see, we listen to what people put on their 'dream sheets'. "

Cat

lol When I read your previous post about how far off your dream sheet they were, Cat, I wondered if doing something like the reverse would get you where you really want to be, but then I came to the same conclusion that you did....them saying "What's wrong, it was number one on your dream sheet."

Written By: Mushroom on 03/11/09 at 6:04 pm

lol When I read your previous post about how far off your dream sheet they were, Cat, I wondered if doing something like the reverse would get you where you really want to be, but then I came to the same conclusion that you did....them saying "What's wrong, it was number one on your dream sheet."

Well, dream sheets are kind of hit-or-miss in my experience.

My first one, I wanted to "Travel and see the world".  Of course, I was then stationed less then an hour from home.

On my second one, I requested to go to Europe.  So of course they sent me to Asia.

I guess 3 times is a charm.  When I came in this time I requested to go to SW Asia.  And sure enough, I leave in less then 2 weeks for SW Asia.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/09 at 1:58 am

I just did, but it fell out and went clinking all over de flo'

:D

Written By: Mushroom on 03/12/09 at 8:04 am

I just did, but it fell out and went clinking all over de flo'

:D

I would suggest that you could always put them over your eyelids, but some people might take it the wrong way.

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...