» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: I was racially disciminated yesterday!

Written By: woops on 09/30/05 at 3:53 am

Yesterday, I was waiting for my sister at the Mission Valley mall for couple minutes and two ignorant girls decided to call the security gaurd because I passed by them at an ice cream store. I didn't even know what have happened until the security gaurd told me to leave for no reason. I have never felt so offended and insulted in my life. I thought there was no racism in San Diego, but I guess I was wrong. All that was said was "Were In Mission Valley and I don't belong because I'm Hispanic".

Subject: Re: I was racially disciminated yesterday!

Written By: woops on 09/30/05 at 3:56 am

I just need to vent because I can't believe this affected me.  >:(  :(

I don't know whether this belong in this, but this is a real life issue that happened but rather not see.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/30/05 at 7:10 am

That is horrible, Woops.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/30/05 at 7:50 am

Yesterday, I was waiting for my sister at the Mission Valley mall for couple minutes and two ignorant girls decided to call the security gaurd because I passed by them at an ice cream store. I didn't even know what have happened until the security gaurd told me to leave for no reason. I have never felt so offended and insulted in my life. I thought there was no racism in San Diego, but I guess I was wrong. All that was said was "Were In Mission Valley and I don't belong because I'm Hispanic".

Geez, sorry to hear of your experience. If that happened to me, I'd be ticked off too.

Just curious, did the security guard him/herself actually say those exact words to you? If so, I sure as heck wouldn't want someone like that in any position of authority - that's scary.

Did the security guard even any remote indication for why they had a problem with you in the first place? I mean, even if, say the girls thought you were loitering originally (of course I believe you weren't, but misunderstandings can happen), all the guard had to do was politely ask you to make sure everything was ok.

I'm not the most politically or lawfully educated person on these boards, but just on a personal level, that was definitely uncalled for.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/30/05 at 11:33 am

Are you honestly saying that this is the first time you have been discriminated against? As a Hispanic male?

Or, was it the first time you were truly willing to accept it (b/c that often happens)?

Written By: Harmonica on 09/30/05 at 12:58 pm

Yesterday, I was waiting for my sister at the Mission Valley mall for couple minutes and two ignorant girls decided to call the security gaurd because I passed by them at an <a  style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=ice%20cream" onmouseover="window.status='ice cream'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">ice cream</a> store. I didn't even know what have happened until the security gaurd told me to leave for no reason. I have never felt so offended and insulted in my life. I thought there was no racism in San Diego, but I guess I was wrong. All that was said was "Were In Mission Valley and I don't belong because I'm Hispanic".

One of my best friends in high school is from The Nicagra/Costa Rica region.  Going with her places, a few times we ran into the discrimination factor.  When it comes to barrier crossings,this country claims a lot, lives up to a little.

Written By: zcrito on 09/30/05 at 2:31 pm

"...and two ignorant girls decided to call the security gaurd because I passed by them at an ice cream store. I didn't even know what have happened until the security gaurd told me to leave for no reason."

Huh? What you give doesn't make sense.

Maybe it was that Debbie Gibson lunch box you carry around? (just kidding  ;D )

woops:
Everybody gets treated like crap sometime in their life in a shopping mall -- even me. The "ignorant girls" working there do it all the time. Security people aren't much better.

If you didn't do anything wrong and it bothers you then just write to the mall main office and tell them about it.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 09/30/05 at 2:32 pm

Woops I'm so shocked to here that has happened - take comfort that this ignorance is truly with the discriminator - every single time   :)

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/30/05 at 4:07 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of gringolandia comaniero, where "if you're white, you're alright, if yoiu're brown hand around, if you're black, get in the back".  Sue the bastards.

Written By: woops on 09/30/05 at 4:28 pm

Are you honestly saying that this is the first time you have been discriminated against? As a Hispanic male?

Or, was it the first time you were truly willing to accept it (b/c that often happens)?

It was the first time I was racially discriminated  and not going to stop enjoying my life because of a couple ignorant individuals. 

woops:
Everybody gets treated like crap sometime in their life in a shopping mall -- even me. The "ignorant girls" working there do it all the time. Security people aren't much better.

If you didn't do anything wrong and it bothers you then just write to the mall main office and tell them about it.

I hope there is not a next time, but if there is, I'll report it.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/01/05 at 4:25 pm

It was the first time I was racially discriminated  and not going to stop enjoying my life because of a couple ignorant individuals. 

I hope there is not a next time, but if there is, I'll report it.

When I was a kid a classmate called me a spic, having never heard the term I at first though he meant that I was very clean (as in spic ans span).  After I learned the truth of his intent my father had to intercede with the principal to keep me from getting expelled. 

I hope there isn't a next time too, but when it happens, sue the bastards.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/01/05 at 4:53 pm

I'm glad that you won't b/c it won't be the only time, unfortunately.

Written By: saver on 10/01/05 at 7:54 pm

I recall hearing over the recent years, some mall chains in the mid west or some areas where a lot of 'GANGSTA looking' kids just loiter rather than shop and the malls were posting signs and enforcing that if you're just hangin' you gotta leave...(whatever that means in their terms I guess).

When racial discrimination occurs, you have to make note, names, badge numbers etc.. to present your case (and witnesses help)...

Think why authorities are asking you to leave, if the reason does not fit, I believe you have every right to stay..some stores post how they can refuse service to anyone anytime, but they must have a good reason..I brought it up to a store owner when a clerk wouldn't cash my lottery ticket BECAUSE I didn't buy it from the store..I raised heck and was told..legally they should have cashed it, morally(is there a store that really expects morals?) theywant you to buy from them and be a regular customer..I told them to take a flying leap, I knew my rights and the owner was trying to impress HIS morals on me!

All in all, you CAN question authority..keep that in mind! 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/05 at 1:06 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of gringolandia comaniero, where "if you're white, you're alright, if yoiu're brown hand around, if you're black, get in the back".  Sue the bastards.

Hey, DC, you're the man, you don't mess around!
  :)

Written By: zcrito on 10/02/05 at 4:43 am

Yes, go ahead and play the victim. Sorry but, "ain't no" white person looking out for another white person.
Grow up.

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/02/05 at 4:57 am

woops, that sounds horrible.  I'd report what had happened to the mall and tell them what you were doing there.  It's just really sad these days how people are racially discriminated.  I'm white, but I'm disabled and sometimes I get discrimated against because of my visual impairment.  So I know what you are going through. 

Written By: zcrito on 10/02/05 at 4:58 am

When I was a kid a classmate called me a spic, having never heard the term I at first though he meant that I was very clean (as in spic ans span).  After I learned the truth of his intent my father had to intercede with the principal to keep me from getting expelled. 

I hope there isn't a next time too, but when it happens, sue the bastards.

You remember something that happened to you when you were a "kid" and still think it is relevant today ??
Many people were treated badly as children but they don't dwell on it.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/02/05 at 6:08 am

You remember something that happened to you when you were a "kid" and still think it is relevant today ??

Whats your problem?  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 4:55 pm

Yes, go ahead and play the victim. Sorry but, "ain't no" white person looking out for another white person.
Grow up.

No, I'm not a victim.  My point was, and is, that racism is alive, well, and functioning as it always has in this country, to the detriment of people of color (except those skinny white babes with the dark tans).  I'm sorry that you can't see either the presistance of racism in our society, or the effect it has on its victims (like that poor man in Texas who was dragged to his death behind a pickup truck a few years ago). 

And again, I am not a victim, nor do I claim to be.  I have done quite well as a "spic" in gringolandia, I guess because I have blue eyes (from my Puerto Rican Mother).

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/02/05 at 4:56 pm

Grow up.

I'm so sick of some individuals calling others victims b/c they point out the issues of racism and sexism. Your reality isn't theirs and to call them a victim is just absurd.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/02/05 at 5:03 pm

I'm so sick of some individuals calling others victims b/c they point out the issues of racism and sexism. Your reality isn't theirs and to call them a victim is just absurd.

Gotta agree there - I see the point DC is making quite clearly and don't detect any self pity whatsoever.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/05 at 5:13 pm

Thank you, and to Boboushka.

Cat and I have posted out pix, so you can see that I can easilly "pass" for "white".  My cousin Ivan is a good deal darker than I am, but his wife is a good deael "whiter" than Cat.  They waited for 30 minets for service  at a Denny's, while later arrival's orders were taken and were served their food.  Racism is alive and all to well in this country, and until we all admit it and do something about it its poison will continue tyo infect us all.  There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

Written By: zcrito on 10/03/05 at 12:21 am

Gotta agree there - I see the point DC is making quite clearly and don't detect any self pity whatsoever.

Wait. I didn't say or was implying self-pity by anyone. I would never accuse anyone of that. Especially people I don't know. If somebody screwed them over then they got screwed over.

But it seems every time something bad happens to some people there's always a racist bogeyman behind it all.
It just amazes me sometimes. That's all.

And anyone implying that whites are looking out for other whites (or maybe they're just basically racist) is saying something that isn't true and is being just plain thoughtless.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 12:24 am

I personally hate racism.  I hate the fact that people judge eachother on ethnicity and color of their skin.

I'll put up some fighting words now:  Anyone who thinks that White people don't get discriminated against by other groups, has a lot to see.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 10/03/05 at 3:31 am

Sorry buddy but I just found those remarks to be bordering on the tactless    :(
or did I read those lines wrong??

Grow up.

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/03/05 at 5:10 am

Wait. I didn't say or was implying self-pity by anyone. I would never accuse anyone of that. Especially people I don't know. If somebody screwed them over then they got screwed over.

But it seems every time something bad happens to some people there's always a racist bogeyman behind it all.
It just amazes me sometimes. That's all.

And anyone implying that whites are looking out for other whites (or maybe they're just basically racist) is saying something that isn't true and is being just plain thoughtless.

I'm sorry dude but I have grown up in the south my whole life and I laugh at that statement. Whites don't look out for other whites? Yeah, right! I guess I have been just hallucinating all of the bigotry I've seen in my 17 years. Yes, the good ol' boy network is just a boogeyman!  :D

Written By: zcrito on 10/03/05 at 10:10 am

I'm sorry dude but I have grown up in the south my whole life and I laugh at that statement. Whites don't look out for other whites? Yeah, right! I guess I have been just hallucinating all of the bigotry I've seen in my 17 years. Yes, the good ol' boy network is just a boogeyman!  :D

"Whites don't look out for other whites? Yeah, right! I guess I have been just hallucinating all of the bigotry I've seen in my 17 years."

All the bigotry? How so?

Written By: zcrito on 10/03/05 at 10:12 am

Sorry buddy but I just found those remarks to be bordering on the tactless    :(
or did I read those lines wrong??

Maybe we should all try to be a little more "white" and not be so oversensitive on everything?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/03/05 at 8:30 pm

Maybe we should all try to be a little more "white" and not be so oversensitive on everything?

I could be racist and ignorant by easily saying, let's all be a little more white and uncapable of sensitivty or empathy.

But then I know better because I know many who are sensitive and capable of empathy and who are unfortunately overshadowed by those who aren't and continually wish to perversely define themselves by such generalizations.

Harmonica, I really would like to see those examples. Honestly, no sarcasm here.

Written By: tv on 10/04/05 at 1:15 am

Is racism bad? Yes. I think what the poster means about the "racisim bogeyman" is people blame racism for too many things. Like what the hurricane in New Orleans some people said "racism' as a reason the gonvernment was taking enough action because in New Orleans most of the people were African-American that the TV showing. Does racism happen? Yes but to blame racism for every little thing is not right.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/04/05 at 11:16 am

^here, here, Harpo!!!!

Written By: STAR70 on 10/08/05 at 4:21 pm

woops has been the target of "racial profiling"

Written By: saver on 10/08/05 at 5:15 pm

I think it's about time to REMOVE the LAW people use for racial discrimination as ..mentioned..treat people individually...THIS INCLUDES THE HATE CRIME LAW...

If someone beat you because you were GAY..THEY BEAT YOU PERIOD!!
That's the offense..

If someone kicked yououtbecause you were a minority..they kicked you out  and should be dealt with for NOT having the right to do so.

There is too much waste in the legal system to add something that shouldn't be anyway.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/09/05 at 11:29 pm

I think it's about time to REMOVE the LAW people use for racial discrimination as ..mentioned..treat people individually...THIS INCLUDES THE HATE CRIME LAW...

If someone beat you because you were GAY..THEY BEAT YOU PERIOD!!
That's the offense..

If someone kicked yououtbecause you were a minority..they kicked you out  and should be dealt with for NOT having the right to do so.

There is too much waste in the legal system to add something that shouldn't be anyway.

That's true.

But, if the attacker used race or sexual orientation as justification for doing so, then that should remain.

Written By: saver on 10/11/05 at 12:01 am

Exactly, that's why I find it a mute point..

Not sure how hard it is to prove unless someone else witnesses/hears someone yell a name out or knows what the perpetraitor is thinking when they do it..hard to prove.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/11/05 at 10:58 am

I agree.  I'm not saying it never happens, but why is not being served immediately in a restaurant "racist" because someone happens to be a different "race"?  I've also been to Denny's and seen others who arrived AFTER me being waited on BEFORE me.....it's not racism or sexism, it's just that the server is not paying attention to everyone in their station...

I've been to Denny's and clearly experienced racism attitudes. I see what you are saying, but Denny's is notorious for its behavior.

I agree with you Harpo. It's very easy for others outside of a group to say "you're overreacting" when you will never know what that experience is like.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/11/05 at 12:59 pm

I guess it's just me then....when someone overlooks me or "snubs" me, I don't automatically jump to the "they're doing it because I'm female", I just think they're idiots :D  The only time I jump to that conclusion is when they get that condescending tone (like at the car dealership) with me.....

definitely^ I hate the condescending tones. I'm female, not an idiot.

I have to deal with two things on a daily basis, my race and my gender. It becomes a serious headache after a while.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/11/05 at 1:10 pm

Although, it IS sweet when I can prove them wrong and show that I'm NOT an idiot 8)

here, here!

Written By: Ophrah on 10/11/05 at 2:28 pm

here, here!

That gets tired too, though, having to prove you're not an idiot.

Written By: McDonald on 10/11/05 at 3:26 pm

Sure, but one of the worst effects of racism is people being looked at as part of a stereotype and not as individuals, and this is exactly what happens when people mention racism and it gets the  ::) treatment.  Many times, a person will talk about racism, and someone will say "oh there they go complaining again...".   Instead of dealing with THAT person's specific situation, the person just files it under their  stereotypical view of "those people always complaining about nothing".  I wonder when some people think it is ok to call something racism?  Is it only racism when somebody gets tied to the back of a truck and dragged to death or when a manager tells an interviewee "sorry, we don't hire Mexicans here"? 

And when people talk about racism, some people -- even if they admit something was racist -- still get angry that people bring it up, and say things like "oh why don't you get over it and stop making excuses".  That's just insensitive and dismissive.  Somebody is not "whining" or "letting something hold them back" just because they talk about something terrible.  If somebody spoke out against molestation and said it happened to them once when they were 6, you wouldn't say "why are people always complaining about child molestation -- it happened when you were 6 for chrissake, get over it!".

Also, sometimes a person who gets irritated hearing about racism says "well, minorities can be just as racist".  Of course, they can, but usually when somebody says this in response to somebody complaining about mistreatment, it is just another way to trivialize the other people's experience.  If your wife complains that she got sexually harrassed at work, would you dismiss her with, "well, I once I worked with a bunch of women and they were just as bad to me, so stop complaining"?  Yes of course, anyone can be racist.  Racism is all around and it affects all groups.  That doesn't mean ignore it and don't talk about it and people don't have the right to get upset about it.

Why can't somebody talk about getting treated badly without other people getting defensive about it?  Even if I think somebody is wrong when they talk about racism, why should I care or get angry or defensive about it?  I can understand if somebody says "white people are racist and don't care about black people".  That might make me upset because it's making a general statement about white people.  But if somebody says such and such a person was racist towards them, why should I get so defensive?  It seems like I would only get defensive if I end up thinking "*they* are always accusing *us* of such and such" instead of just dealing with the specific situation for what it is.

Racism still is a big problem in this country. I think it's been the tendency of most white Americans to look at the fact that significant progress has been made in the past forty or so years, and automatically declare to themsevles that racism is finished. It's not. If those people in New Orleans were predominantly working to middle class whites, things would have been markedly different, you mark my words. Not only does racism still exist, it's pandemic. It exists almost everywhere but it's disguised. "He only got into Harvard because of Affirmative Action." "Is it true what they say about black guys?" "Black people make the best athletes." "Asians are good at math." "Need yardwork done? A Mexican will do it for cheap." "Jews have money." "There are no Indians left, and the few that survive mak a lot of money off casinos and they drink too much." These are all common stereotypes we hear. When a black kid walks into a store, it is likely that the proprieter will indeed keep an extra eye on him. If a rich white man and a poor black man commit the same crime, it is likely that the black man will receive a harsher sentence. These things happen all the time, but once again, the most common reaction among whites is to deny the problem exists, or in some cases, to claim discrimination against themselves. "It's OK to say something racist about white people, but heaven help you if you say something racist about anyone else." To this I must say that first of all, it's not OK for anyone to make seriously racist remarks about any race, whites included. Is it more socially acceptable... sure. I can;t say why for sure, but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that whites still make up the vast majority of this country's population, and have up until quite recently, worked to supress the other races. Now that racism is no longer acceptable, people are having a few laughs at our expense. I'm fine with that. I'm really not offended at all when Dave Chappelle says something like "white people don't use washcloths," or "nobody knows what white people eat." While it may not be uiversally true, it is for the most part, and it's funny when someone points it out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/16/05 at 1:12 pm

woops,

Unfortunately there is racism everywhere.  I hope that the dirt bags who did this to you get a big helping of Bad Karma for this incident.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/16/05 at 1:35 pm

Racism still is a big problem in this country. I think it's been the tendency of most white Americans to look at the fact that significant progress has been made in the past forty or so years, and automatically declare to themsevles that racism is finished. It's not. If those people in New Orleans were predominantly working to middle class whites, things would have been markedly different, you mark my words. Not only does racism still exist, it's pandemic. It exists almost everywhere but it's disguised. "He only got into Harvard because of Affirmative Action." "Is it true what they say about black guys?" "Black people make the best athletes." "Asians are good at math." "Need yardwork done? A Mexican will do it for cheap." "Jews have money." "There are no Indians left, and the few that survive mak a lot of money off casinos and they drink too much." These are all common stereotypes we hear. When a black kid walks into a store, it is likely that the proprieter will indeed keep an extra eye on him. If a rich white man and a poor black man commit the same crime, it is likely that the black man will receive a harsher sentence. These things happen all the time, but once again, the most common reaction among whites is to deny the problem exists, or in some cases, to claim discrimination against themselves. "It's OK to say something racist about white people, but heaven help you if you say something racist about anyone else." To this I must say that first of all, it's not OK for anyone to make seriously racist remarks about any race, whites included. Is it more socially acceptable... sure. I can;t say why for sure, but I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that whites still make up the vast majority of this country's population, and have up until quite recently, worked to supress the other races. Now that racism is no longer acceptable, people are having a few laughs at our expense. I'm fine with that. I'm really not offended at all when Dave Chappelle says something like "white people don't use washcloths," or "nobody knows what white people eat." While it may not be uiversally true, it is for the most part, and it's funny when someone points it out.

Well said, McDonald. Thanks!

Written By: alyceclover on 10/17/05 at 10:15 pm

that's  :( ...yeah, Mission Viejo is kinda waspy...'ritzy'...so doesn't suprise me....but, I'm being a bit pre-judge-ish aren't I? Who was that commedian...said 'born suspect'...haven't personally found a way to change racist/sexist, etal, attitudes, so I guess laughing 'bout it helps...I just don't get it, tho', unless one is of the faith that we choose to incarnate on this planet to have a certain experience none of us can choose our race, and we all get here in the same way, all our innards are alike....read on a bumper sticker the other day 'What if everyone was Blind? Then no-one would know who to hate."  :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 12/07/05 at 4:29 pm

Yesterday I went into Brookstones and bought a set of binoculars, for my sig to give to me for
Christmas,(buy now explain later).  Anyway, they weren't quite right and I decided to return them. When I
I did(today)the manager said she couldn't refund the money(I had paid in cash) because she didn't have enough money in the store!  ($130) She said she could send me a check!  Brookstones, during Christmas, in a mall, and she said she couldn't give me cash, and she seemed nervous.  I told her no, that I would return it to another store that is in another mall about 5 miles away that I was going to anyway.  Later on I did go to that other store and she had actually called ahead to tell them that I was coming.  The manager in that store was very nice and asked me why the other store did not refund my money, I told him the excuse,
he was quite professional and only raised one eyebrow.  I have called and made a complaint, the
person who took the complaint was kinda surprised when I explained it to her and called a
Supervisor who took the complaint.  I did help when I mentioned that I had at one time worked at
The Office of the Attorney General. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/05 at 1:26 pm

Yesterday I went into Brookstones and bought a set of binoculars, for my sig to give to me for
Christmas,(buy now explain later).  Anyway, they weren't quite right and I decided to return them. When I
I did(today)the manager said she couldn't refund the money(I had paid in cash) because she didn't have enough money in the store!  ($130) She said she could send me a check!  Brookstones, during Christmas, in a mall, and she said she couldn't give me cash, and she seemed nervous.  I told her no, that I would return it to another store that is in another mall about 5 miles away that I was going to anyway.  Later on I did go to that other store and she had actually called ahead to tell them that I was coming.  The manager in that store was very nice and asked me why the other store did not refund my money, I told him the excuse,
he was quite professional and only raised one eyebrow.  I have called and made a complaint, the
person who took the complaint was kinda surprised when I explained it to her and called a
Supervisor who took the complaint.  I did help when I mentioned that I had at one time worked at
The Office of the Attorney General. 

I think that woman messed with the wrong person. 

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/05 at 4:07 pm

I think that woman messed with the wrong person. 

Cat

I would say that she is finding that out    ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/05 at 7:10 pm

I would say that she is finding that out    ;)

Let us know the outcome (if you know).  I am curious.

Cat

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/08/05 at 7:17 pm

I'm thinking, a nice KYA apology letter from Corporate and a $100 Gift Card.  At least.

Written By: Tbullsr on 12/20/05 at 5:18 pm

I just need to vent because I can't believe this affected me.  >:(  :(
/quote]

Are you kidding me. You were discriminated against? In this day and age. I can't believe it. Tears for you. Now move on and get a life. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/05 at 6:53 pm

I just need to vent because I can't believe this affected me.

Check for new replies or respond here...