» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Liberal Views on the same page as me

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 1:58 am

1. Gun Control helping to solve problems in school

2. You have the right to worship as you please. The government has no business either supporting or opposing religion in general or any specific religion.

3. The Majority of person should perform some sort of national service

4. Realization that crime and ecomics work hand in hand

5.  (READ WHAT THIS SAYS)  The ORIGINAL intention of Welfare.

6. Stop global warming

7. Trying to prevent monopolies

Subject: Re: Liberal Views on the same page as me

Written By: VirtuosoClaptrap on 10/03/05 at 2:13 am

But I like playing Monopoly  :\'(

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 8:41 am

But I like playing Monopoly  :\'(

It is rather a fun game

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/03/05 at 2:47 pm

1. Gun Control helping to solve problems in school

2. You have the right to worship as you please. The government has no business either supporting or opposing religion in general or any specific religion.

3. The Majority of person should perform some sort of national service

4. Realization that crime and ecomics work hand in hand

5.  (READ WHAT THIS SAYS)  The ORIGINAL intention of Welfare.

6. Stop global warming

7. Trying to prevent monopolies

Now I'm really confused!!!  George W. Bush disagrees with you on each of these issues !! ??

Written By: EthanM on 10/03/05 at 3:49 pm

what are ecomics? If you mean economics, please explain.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/03/05 at 4:37 pm

Now I'm really confused!!!  George W. Bush disagrees with you on each of these issues !! ??

From what I've heard the man say and see do, yes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/05 at 2:02 am

But he's a born again Christian, isn't that the important thing?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/04/05 at 12:51 pm

Ok, lets get logical.  You listed a bunch of issues on which you take the liberal side.  I assume (maybe I shouldn't make assumptions) that they are of some importance to you since you did list them.  Bush disagrees with you on all of them, yet you support him.  Please explain.

Written By: McDonald on 10/04/05 at 1:29 pm

Ok, lets get logical.  You listed a bunch of issues on which you take the liberal side.  I assume (maybe I shouldn't make assumptions) that they are of some importance to you since you did list them.  Bush disagrees with you on all of them, yet you support him.  Please explain.

LOL, dude, you're entering a world of confusion with that request.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/04/05 at 4:36 pm

But he's a born again Christian, isn't that the important thing?

He's not doing anything with it, and THAT'S the important thing.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/04/05 at 4:39 pm

I for one don't want anyone to assassinate him.  I for two know that John Kerry wouldn't be doing any better. 

I support him by very little, I'd rather have a better conservative president.

and to be double honest Bill Clinton and I didnt' see eye to eye on everything, and I don't approve of his affair with monica Lewinsky and he needed to pay the price he did for lying.  However I think he did a fine job of running the country, for the MOST part.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/05 at 9:09 pm

I for one don't want anyone to assassinate him.  I for two know that John Kerry wouldn't be doing any better. 

and to be double honest Bill Clinton and I didnt' see eye to eye on everything, and I don't approve of his affair with monica Lewinsky and he needed to pay the price he did for lying.  However I think he did a fine job of running the country, for the MOST part.

Bubba mucked up his marriage.  Dubya mucked up everything except his marriage.  That's the difference.  Shouldn't we really ought to be blaming Laura?  She's the one who got him off the sauce!  If he'd married a lush instead of a librarian, he'd be too drunk for the presidency!

Written By: Harmonica on 10/04/05 at 10:34 pm

Bubba mucked up his marriage.  Dubya mucked up everything except his marriage.  That's the difference.  Shouldn't we really ought to be blaming Laura?  She's the one who got him off the sauce!  If he'd married a lush instead of a librarian, he'd be too drunk for the presidency!

Bill Clinton = Bubba?  Where'd you come up with that?

Written By: EthanM on 10/04/05 at 10:35 pm

you're kidding, right?

Written By: Harmonica on 10/04/05 at 10:43 pm

you're kidding, right?

No, but I got a good joke.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/05 at 10:57 pm

Bill Clinton = Bubba?   Where'd you come up with that?

Some people in the punditry used call Clinton "Bubba," because he's from a Southern working class background.
When liberals call Southerners "bubba" they're called "elitist," but....anyway....

Written By: Harmonica on 10/05/05 at 12:12 am

Some people in the punditry used call Clinton "Bubba," because he's from a Southern working class background.
When liberals call Southerners "bubba" they're called "elitist," but....anyway....

thanks

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/05/05 at 4:44 pm

Assassinate him?  Has anyone come even remotely close to suggesting such a thing? 

I think Kerry would be doing LOTS of things better.  We wouldn't have cut taxes on the rich and (re)created a budget deficit - the largest in history, instead we would be paying down the national dept.  We wouldn't have lost close to 2000 troops in Iraq for no reason - not to mention the 10s of 1000nds of Iraquis.  We might have addressed the potential long term problem in Social Security and medicade by removing the payrole tax cap on FICA.  All of this would have been likely with Kerry.  We might (and this is speculation) have come up with non-military responses to terrorism that address its root causes rather than its symptoms.

As to Bubba's piccadillos, I agree, he should have told the grand jury that he got a ... "sexually oriented service" (can I say b1ow b0b?) from Monica, but it seems to me that his lie pales before the lies of this administration, not related to personnal conduict or morality but to public policy.  If Bubba's lies warrented impeachment, Lil" Georgie's should have had him out of office almost before he took the oath (with his fingers crossed behind his back?).  Who died because Bubba got his rocks off?  Who died because Lil' Georgie got off on Saddam?  And who got impeached?

Written By: Harmonica on 10/05/05 at 5:14 pm

Assassinate him?  Has anyone come even remotely close to suggesting such a thing? 

I think Kerry would be doing LOTS of things better.  We wouldn't have cut taxes on the rich and (re)created a budget deficit - the largest in history, instead we would be paying down the national dept.  We wouldn't have lost close to 2000 troops in Iraq for no reason - not to mention the 10s of 1000nds of Iraquis.  We might have addressed the potential long term problem in Social Security and medicade by removing the payrole tax cap on FICA.  All of this would have been likely with Kerry.  We might (and this is speculation) have come up with non-military responses to terrorism that address its root causes rather than its symptoms.

As to Bubba's piccadillos, I agree, he should have told the grand jury that he got a ... "sexually oriented service" (can I say b1ow b0b?) from Monica, but it seems to me that his lie pales before the lies of this administration, not related to personnal conduict or morality but to public policy.  If Bubba's lies warrented impeachment, Lil" Georgie's should have had him out of office almost before he took the oath (with his fingers crossed behind his back?).  Who died because Bubba got his rocks off?  Who died because Lil' Georgie got off on Saddam?  And who got impeached?

I got a good joke for you Don Carlos and if you ever wanna hear it, I think it'd hold true in how some people feel.  I don't think anyone is gonna kill Bush, but as far as ayone "Wanting to" IF they could, yeah, they would.

No Tax cuts on the rich.  WOuldn't have lost 20,000 men's troops, and Iraqi's.  - Agree
Social security and medicade problem.  Fighting terrorism effectively - Disagree

Clinton did not get impeached, he finished out his term.  However, I agree with your comparrison and contrast of Bush and Clinton.  Like I said before, George Bush isn't my favorite guy in the world, but I voted for him because of the promises he made to me as an American Citizen.

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/05/05 at 11:12 pm

Clinton did not get impeached, he finished out his term. 

Clinton did get impeached...he didnt get convicted

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/05 at 11:40 pm

Clinton did get impeached...he didnt get convicted

Try though they might, the squealing little pigs!
;D

Written By: Harmonica on 10/05/05 at 11:54 pm

Heck, you liberals might get a kick outta this.  I'm a conservative and I thought it was funny.

Gas, believe it or not, happens to be a lot cheaper one day.  So the cars are piled up at this gas station, and charlie,waiting in line, hears the guy behind him complaining.  "What's wrong dude?" he asked the man.  "I hate waiting in line, that's all I ever do anymore I tell you.  This line is so frickin long, I swear I'm gonna stand here forever."  The two talk for a while and then, charlie finally gets his gas and on his way out say's, "Nice talking to you, hope I run into you again sometime".    Low and behold Charlie goes to Walmart later on that night and as usual out of 19 aisles they're only running 3 of them at once and along with 50 other people standing in the same line, he see's the guy from the gas station.  Once again he's being very verbal about having to wait.  "Man, I tell you, I come to wal-mart 3 times a week and I spend more time standing in line than I do shoppin".  Charlie laughs and agrees with him and then they start talking about politics.  "You know I really just can't stand Bush,  You know I think I'm gonna march right up to Washinton D.C. and give him an ear full of exactly what I think of him."  Charlie say's to the man, "You know that's not a bad idea, people got to stand up for what they believe in.  If you do, do it, good luck to you."    About a month passes by and Charlie once again standing in the huge line at Wal-Mart see's the man.  "Hey, did you make it to washington D.C.?", he ask.  "Yeah"  "Did you let Bush have it?"  "Nope"  "Nope!?!? What? YOu mean you drove all the way to D.C. and didn't let Bush have it?"  "Nope"  "why not?"  "Charlie", the man say's as he puts his hand on Charlies shoulder, "You think the line here is long? YOu think the line at the gas station was long?  I'm telling you man, there ain't no line longer, than the one of people lined up infront of the white house to complain to Bush."

Ok, the joke was told better by the guy that told me, but I did a pretty good job of memorization of such a long joke.

Written By: ADH13 on 10/06/05 at 12:43 am

I support Bush too, although I don't agree with all of his views.  I don't believe that in order to identify with a particular political party, that you have to support every single thing that your party supports.  I am not opposed to gay marriage or medicinal marijuana.  I don't go out of my way to support them, I guess I just don't really see any point in opposing, because I don't see how those issues affect the general public. 

I think Kerry would be doing LOTS of things better. We wouldn't have cut taxes on the rich and (re)created a budget deficit - the largest in history, instead we would be paying down the national dept. We wouldn't have lost close to 2000 troops in Iraq for no reason - not to mention the 10s of 1000nds of Iraquis. We might have addressed the potential long term problem in Social Security and medicade by removing the payrole tax cap on FICA. All of this would have been likely with Kerry. We might (and this is speculation) have come up with non-military responses to terrorism that address its root causes rather than its symptoms.

I respect your opinion.  However, a president who first voted for the war, then criticized it to no end, then when asked "If you are elected, will you pull the troops out of Iraq" answers NO, would scare the crap out of me, personally.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/05 at 12:03 pm

I support Bush too, although I don't agree with all of his views.  I don't believe that in order to identify with a particular political party, that you have to support every single thing that your party supports.  I am not opposed to gay marriage or medicinal marijuana.  I don't go out of my way to support them, I guess I just don't really see any point in opposing, because I don't see how those issues affect the general public. 

I respect your opinion.  However, a president who first voted for the war, then criticized it to no end, then when asked "If you are elected, will you pull the troops out of Iraq" answers NO, would scare the crap out of me, personally.

Discounting your tax cut, why do you support Bush?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/06/05 at 2:46 pm

Of course one need not agree with every position a party or candidate takes to vote for them, but just what in the Repug agenda DO you support?

Actually, I must apologize, I got my losers mixed up.  My remarks were in referance to Al Gore rather than Kerry.

As to Kerry's supposed "flip flop", lots of people both in and out of Congress took Bush at his word when he talked about WMDs so Congress voted to allow him the power to invade as a last resort.  When it became clear that there were none lopts of those people came to believe that Bush had, to be charitable, exaggurated the intelligance.  By then it was too late.  From the beginning I opposed the war because I didn't trust Bush's claims, and because I could see the quagmire coming, but at this stage I can't support a unilateral pullout either.  The last thing we need is another Taliban style government in the Middle East, which is, I think, exactly what we would get.  Having made the mess, it is our job to figure out how to clean it up.

What I'm saying is that politics is complex and that complex issues can seldom be addressed with facile, simplistic slogans.

Written By: ADH13 on 10/06/05 at 5:43 pm

Of course one need not agree with every position a party or candidate takes to vote for them, but just what in the Repug agenda DO you support?

As to Kerry's supposed "flip flop", lots of people both in and out of Congress took Bush at his word when he talked about WMDs so Congress voted to allow him the power to invade as a last resort. 

I highly doubt that Bush sat in a room with all the congressmen and said "Ok this is what's going on.  Now vote."  Are you saying Kerry didn't physically LOOK at any of the intelligence that Bush was looking at before voting?

And as for what I support in the republican agenda... I support their stance on homeland security.  It may have turned out that Iraq didn't have WMD's but I don't think that Bush made up the fact that they did... also I could bring up my hindsight is 20/20 argument again..what if they HAD used wmd's.. everyone would be screaming that Bush had suspicion but did nothing about it? (Just like 9/11)  But we already have enough Iraq war threads..so I'll leave that alone.

And I also support capital punishment, i strongly oppose affirmative action, i put national security above individual civil rights.  And the biggest thing that annoys me about liberals is how they make criminals/murderers/terrorists into poor innocent victims.  The wet Qaran b.s. being a prime example.  I wish our troop's bibles were getting wet instead of their heads getting cut off!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/05 at 7:22 pm

And I also support capital punishment, i strongly oppose affirmative action, i put national security above individual civil rights.  And the biggest thing that annoys me about liberals is how they make criminals/murderers/terrorists into poor innocent victims.  The wet Qaran b.s. being a prime example.  I wish our troop's bibles were getting wet instead of their heads getting cut off!!!

I hear this kind of talk all the time from the Right.  What does it mean?  Do you know what you really mean by "national security" and "civil rights"?  What about the history, causes, and demographics of "capital punishment" and "affirmative action."  Where do you get your info on these topics, and why do you believe it?
???

Written By: ADH13 on 10/06/05 at 7:42 pm

I hear this kind of talk all the time from the Right.  What does it mean?  Do you know what you really mean by "national security" and "civil rights"?  What about the history, causes, and demographics of "capital punishment" and "affirmative action."  Where do you get your info on these topics, and why do you believe it?
???

What I mean is, if a suspicious person is getting onto an airplane, I would rather have the person stopped and searched than allow this person to board a plane, jeopardizing all the passengers so that the person's civil rights aren't violated.  I don't care if the person's race/gender has anything to do with it or not.

Capital Punishment, I believe is very necessary in certain cases because I think a murderer is more likely to think twice if he knows he may be killed for his actions instead of just locked up in a prison cell with a weight room, conjucal visits, phone/internet priveledges, tv, etc for however long.

Affirmative Action is racism.  Admission should be based on qualifications, not race.  I'd like to see it where employers/colleges don't meet or speak to the person before making their decisions.  This would eliminate the possiblity of racial discrimination FOR and AGAINST minorities.

I think we all get the same information.  We all see the same definition of Affirmative Action, and we all see the same examples of capital punishment.  We just have different opinions on it.  I don't like to see someone die either..but I think there needs to be something a little scarier than what we call a "prison" to deter people from committing these acts.  If someone comes up with a better idea, I'm all ears.  I would probably be against capital punishment if there was a worse alternative.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/05 at 8:14 pm

What I mean is, if a suspicious person is getting onto an airplane, I would rather have the person stopped and searched than allow this person to board a plane, jeopardizing all the passengers so that the person's civil rights aren't violated.  I don't care if the person's race/gender has anything to do with it or not.

Oh, and what makes a person "suspicious"?
Should government agents be able to search your home, your documents, your compter whithout telling you because somebody told them you are a terrorist?

Capital Punishment, I believe is very necessary in certain cases because I think a murderer is more likely to think twice if he knows he may be killed for his actions instead of just locked up in a prison cell with a weight room, conjucal visits, phone/internet priveledges, tv, etc for however long.
Statistics don't bear out the deterrence argument.  In crimes of passion, the perpetrator is not thinking about consequences.  In crimes of calculation, the perpetrator thinks he's not going to get caught.
I suppose if DNA proves there is a one in one quadrillion chance that somebody other than Joe Blow did the murder, I might feel a little easier with the death penalty.  However, the economic disparity in terms of availability of legal counsel must never be underestimated.  If OJ Simpson was just Joe Blow without a nickel to his name, he would be on death row.  I also don't like the philosophical message of the death penalty.

Affirmative Action is racism.  Admission should be based on qualifications, not race.  I'd like to see it where employers/colleges don't meet or speak to the person before making their decisions.  This would eliminate the possiblity of racial discrimination FOR and AGAINST minorities.
So you are not against affirmative action.  You are against race-based affirmative action, but for economic need-based affirmative action.  I agree.  I also realize that most anti-affirmative action blowhards would still hate affirmative action if it was entirely based on economic need.  Rich people hate to compete with poor people, and feel entitled not to.

I think we all get the same information.
Nope.  If one gets all ones information from FOX News and Rush Limbaugh, one will be deceived!

Written By: ADH13 on 10/06/05 at 8:55 pm

Oh, and what makes a person "suspicious"?
Should government agents be able to search your home, your documents, your compter whithout telling you because somebody told them you are a terrorist?
Statistics don't bear out the deterrence argument.  In crimes of passion, the perpetrator is not thinking about consequences.  In crimes of calculation, the perpetrator thinks he's not going to get caught.
I suppose if DNA proves there is a one in one quadrillion chance that somebody other than Joe Blow did the murder, I might feel a little easier with the death penalty.  However, the economic disparity in terms of availability of legal counsel must never be underestimated.  If OJ Simpson was just Joe Blow without a nickel to his name, he would be on death row.  I also don't like the philosophical message of the death penalty.
So you are not against affirmative action.  You are against race-based affirmative action, but for economic need-based affirmative action.  I agree.  I also realize that most anti-affirmative action blowhards would still hate affirmative action if it was entirely based on economic need.  Rich people hate to compete with poor people, and feel entitled not to.
Nope.  If one gets all ones information from FOX News and Rush Limbaugh, one will be deceived!

Ah...but I doubt Rush Limbaugh promotes gay marriage and medicinal marijuana, both of which I support. :)

I also think I support stem cell research.  I don't know enough about the process to be able to make a firm statement that I support it.  I am under the impression that the process hurts absolutely nobody.  If that is correct, and it has the potential to cure diseases, I can see no logical reason to be against it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/05 at 9:11 pm

Ah...but I doubt Rush Limbaugh promotes gay marriage and medicinal marijuana, both of which I support. :)

I also think I support stem cell research.  I don't know enough about the process to be able to make a firm statement that I support it.  I am under the impression that the process hurts absolutely nobody.  If that is correct, and it has the potential to cure diseases, I can see no logical reason to be against it.

That's why I used the pronoun "one" instead of "you."
I think there's a sh*tload of information we need to hear to be informed citizens, but which the Bush Administration (the most secretive administration in modern times) keeps hidden.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/06/05 at 9:15 pm

Affirmative Action affects all groups. Stop making it a racial issue. Women, the handicapped and the socioeconomically disadvantaged have (and continue) to benefit. Unfortunately, those who truly don't understand it have focused on the racial aspect.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/05 at 10:21 pm

Affirmative Action affects all groups. Stop making it a racial issue. Women, the handicapped and the socioeconomically disadvantaged have (and continue) to benefit. Unfortunately, those who truly don't understand it have focused on the racial aspect.

And...don't forget...it's always preferable to the rich and the powerful for whites to resent blacks, asians, and latinos than to resent the rich and the powerful. 
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., talked about race for fifteen years and became a national icon.  He talked about class for eight weeks and was shot dead.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/06/05 at 10:35 pm

And...don't forget...it's always preferable to the rich and the powerful for whites to resent blacks, asians, and latinos than to resent the rich and the powerful. 
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., talked about race for fifteen years and became a national icon.  He talked about class for eight weeks and was shot dead.

I love you, Max, saying that! If I wasn't already married........ :-X

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/07/05 at 11:50 pm

Clinton was the only elected president ever impeached, don't ever forget it!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/05 at 12:10 am

Clinton was the only elected president ever impeached, don't ever forget it!

And Congress decided the charges were not sufficient to remove him from office.  After Clinton's acquital, Tom DeLay (talk about a guy they should lock up and throw away the key) spoke to the congregation at his church.  He told them just why Clinton had been impeached.  It had nothing to do with a bj or lying about a bj under oath or suborning perjury.  It was, DeLay said, because "Clinton had the wrong world view."
Well, you can't impeach the President just 'coz you disagree with his politics, so they had to find something to nail him on!  Talk about desperate. 
Now they're running scared again, and trying to sic Louis Freeh on Clinton.  Bubba's been out of office for five years and he's still the only subterfuge they've got.  The GOP controls the entire government, and they've got nowhere to hide!

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/26/05 at 7:42 pm

He was impeached by the House, NOT the Senate.....

the senate doesn't impeach, they convict. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/05 at 8:37 pm

the senate doesn't impeach, they convict. 

And that's why I'm glad Clinton didn't resign.  If he'd resigned like Tricky Dick, the Right would always be saying, "He knew he was gonna get thrown out of office, so he quit to avoid facing the music." 
Instead, he faced the music, and those tens of millions of dollars worth of taxpayer money Ken Starr spent, and all the breath expended on WE HATE CLINTON propaganda was all for naught.  The justice system played out, and said the case doesn't come up to scratch.  Clinton's approval ratings were in the 60s the whole time, and he would have beaten Bush if he could have run in 2000.*  Essentially, the only people the jerks on the Right hurt going after Clinton were the American people. 

*It bears mentioning Gore won the popular vote even though Gore had about as much charisma as a tunafish sandwich.

Check for new replies or respond here...