» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: New Orleans Cops...Haven't They Learned?

Written By: danootaandme on 10/10/05 at 3:30 pm

I guess they haven't heard about home video.
There you have 3 white cops and 1 whoever(I still haven't heard an explanation for the apparent
civilian) pounding the bejesus out of a sixty seven year old drunk African American.  Sure they
have been charged, but I will wait for the conviction.

Subject: Re: New Orleans Cops...Haven't They Learned?

Written By: Dagwood on 10/10/05 at 6:53 pm

I guess they haven't heard about home video.
There you have 3 white cops and 1 whoever(I still haven't heard an explanation for the apparent
civilian) pounding the bejesus out of a sixty seven year old drunk African American. Sure they
have been charged, but I will wait for the conviction.

As much as I hate to say this, don't hold your breath.  Although they should all four be convicted and stuck in general population. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/10/05 at 7:12 pm

Something has to happen from this incident. It doesn't make sense at all.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/10/05 at 7:14 pm

Story, for context

The man was 64, not 67, but the point is that he did not appear to offer resistance, nor was he confirmed to be drunk.  So I would think that the cops involved would be in a load of deep poopy.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/11/05 at 3:03 pm

Rodney King all over again.  And one cop attacked a network producer.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/11/05 at 4:19 pm

A friend of mine told me the twerp who jumped in to help was an FBI agent who thought he would assist.
Just like the FBI to be on the wrong side again.  And it does appear that he was just a regular guy who
ran into a cop with a hair across his a**. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/11/05 at 5:09 pm

Rodney King all over again.  And one cop attacked a network producer.

I'm withholding my judgement.  But it is Rodney King all over again.  Why does the media feel the need to plaster this all over their stations like it was big breaking news?  I feel that the guy from the Associated Press who got told where he can shove his camera just wanted to get back at the cops.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/12/05 at 2:39 pm

I'm withholding my judgement.  But it is Rodney King all over again.  Why does the media feel the need to plaster this all over their stations like it was big breaking news?  I feel that the guy from the Associated Press who got told where he can shove his camera just wanted to get back at the cops.

What judgement is there to withhold?  Three cops and an FBI goon beating an old man bloody, then kicking him while he's not only down but handcuffed?  Meanwhile, a mounted cop tries to get in the way of the photographer?  And this might be acceptable police procedure?  In Nazi Germany maybe.  The fact that it is NOT "big breaking news", that it happens every day in this country when the cameras are not around is the real travesty.  The AP guy's motives are irrelevant.  The cop's actions are the issue.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/12/05 at 3:52 pm

Why does the media feel the need to plaster this all over their stations like it was big breaking news?  I feel that the guy from the Associated Press who got told where he can shove his camera just wanted to get back at the cops.

I say good on the media.  Unbridled police brutality is a threat to our fundamental freedom.  The first wave on the the road to facism, and the reason I support a gun rights.  It isn't the foreign hoards that scare me as much as the enemy within. I can't imagine anyone not seeing this as newsworthy.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/12/05 at 7:15 pm

What judgement is there to withhold?  Three cops and an FBI goon beating an old man bloody, then kicking him while he's not only down but handcuffed?  Meanwhile, a mounted cop tries to get in the way of the photographer?  And this might be acceptable police procedure?  In Nazi Germany maybe.  The fact that it is NOT "big breaking news", that it happens every day in this country when the cameras are not around is the real travesty.  The AP guy's motives are irrelevant.  The cop's actions are the issue.

I say good on the media.  Unbridled police brutality is a threat to our fundamental freedom.  The first wave on the the road to facism, and the reason I support a gun rights.  It isn't the foreign hoards that scare me as much as the enemy within. I can't imagine anyone not seeing this as newsworthy.

You guys expressed my thoughts, exactly.  I think this should be all over the press.  These "officers" need to be held accountable for their actions.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/05 at 9:22 pm

I know, really, city cops pummel old black dudes like you and I draw another breath.  This is news?!  Biiiiig frickin' deal!

And that old guy wasn't innocent either.  He told the other cop it was none of his business.  Don't you show officers of the law none yer disrespect, thar boy!
:D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/12/05 at 9:43 pm

I know, really, city cops pummel old black dudes like you and I draw another breath.  This is news?!  Biiiiig frickin' deal!

And that old guy wasn't innocent either.  He told the other cop it was none of his business.  Don't you show officers of the law none yer disrespect, thar boy!
:D

Yeah.  The cops walk around New Orleans looking for people to beat up for no good reason.  ::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 9:46 pm

Yeah.  The cops walk around New Orleans looking for people to beat up for no good reason.  ::)

I would dare say that the black gentleman probably committed some minor infraction, which would be a reason to detain him, but definitely not to beat the bejeezus out of him.  Most cops would probably deplore this act; not only was it a terrible thing to do, it makes the rest of the police in the city, and maybe the whole nation, look really bad.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/12/05 at 9:55 pm

I would dare say that the black gentleman probably committed some minor infraction, which would be a reason to detain him, but definitely not to beat the bejeezus out of him.  Most cops would probably deplore this act; not only was it a terrible thing to do, it makes the rest of the police in the city, and maybe the whole nation, look really bad.

They probably did do something wrong.  But it's in my nature to take the side of the police until after they are convicted.  People need to wait until after they're convicted before they tie their noose.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/05 at 10:03 pm

No, they always try to find a good reason, but in the event a good reason can't be found, a no-good reason suffices.
::)

Indeed, he failed to defer to law officers with a sufficient amount of "Yazza yazza!"

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 10:08 pm

No, they always try to find a good reason, but in the event a good reason can't be found, a no-good reason suffices.
Indeed, he failed to defer to law officers with a sufficient amount of "Yazza yazza!"

Do you know that he is completely innocent?  We both agree that the man didn't deserve the asswhupping, but are you sure that he did absolutely nothing wrong?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/05 at 10:17 pm

Do you know that he is completely innocent?  We both agree that the man didn't deserve the asswhupping, but are you sure that he did absolutely nothing wrong?

Who among us has done absolutely nothing wrong?
???

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 10:21 pm

Who among us has done absolutely nothing wrong?
???

You know what I mean.  Now you and I are in agreement that the cops went too far.  But the only thing I want you to answer is, "Are you sure that the man did nothing significant to warrant being detained?"  That's all.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/05 at 10:30 pm

You know what I mean.  Now you and I are in agreement that the cops went too far.  But the only thing I want you to answer is, "Are you sure that the man did nothing significant to warrant being detained?"  That's all.

I don't think the question is about being detained, but being beaten like that is inexcusable.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 10:31 pm

I don't think the question is about being detained, but being beaten like that is inexcusable.

I agree that being beaten like that is inexcusable, that was pretty obvious in my previous post.  I am responding to Max's sarcasm by asking the question about the detention.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/05 at 10:34 pm

I agree that being beaten like that is inexcusable, that was pretty obvious in my previous post.  I am responding to Max's sarcasm by asking the question about the detention.

k!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/05 at 10:42 pm

And that's why I asked "who among us has done nothing wrong?"
If a cop pulled me over and really wanted to find a reason to detain me, he could.
He could order me to step out of my car because I appear intoxicated.  If I said "No, sir, I haven't been drinking and I'm not stepping out of the car," he could force me for disobeying his order.  If I showed any resistance, he could arrest me for that.  Maybe when I'm out there with my hands on the hood, his partner could reach in and find the dime in my dashboard tray.  What dime?  The dime with the marijuana resin on it.  My buddy snuffed out a joint using that dime last week.  Finding pot resin, the cops could justify a  search of every inch of my car...and so on and so on and so on.
If the cops are predisposed to not liking you, and there is ample evidence they are predisposed to not liking African American men, they will find a reason to hassle you.
Last time I got pulled over, the cop saw a clean-cut white guy with a Marine-style crew cut.  I gave no indication that I'm actually subversive red who can't stand the pigs, and the cop said, "just checking, have a good evening, sir."

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/12/05 at 10:45 pm

And that's why I asked "who among us has done nothing wrong?"
If a cop pulled me over and really wanted to find a reason to detain me, he could.
He could order me to step out of my car because I appear intoxicated.  If I said "No, sir, I haven't been drinking and I'm not stepping out of the car," he could force me for disobeying his order.  If I showed any resistance, he could arrest me for that.  Maybe when I'm out there with my hands on the hood, his partner could reach in and find the dime in my dashboard tray.  What dime?  The dime with the marijuana resin on it.  My buddy snuffed out a joint using that dime last week.  Finding pot resin, the cops could justify a  search of every inch of my car...and so on and so on and so on.
If the cops are predisposed to not liking you, and there is ample evidence they are predisposed to not liking African American men, they will find a reason to hassle you.
Last time I got pulled over, the cop saw a clean-cut white guy with a Marine-style crew cut.  I gave no indication that I'm actually subversive red who can't stand the pigs, and the cop said, "just checking, have a good evening, sir."

I do agree with that. Max (this is just hypothetical, honey) could have been carrying guns and bullets to shoot a school down and he would've been allowed to continue. However, an African-American (Hispanic-American, so on and so on) would have been hassled despite traveling with his wife and son in a child seat in the backseat.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 10:46 pm

But you don't know that he didn't do something "legitimately wrong", and that's all I wanted to get from you ;)

Yes, cops can be shady and corrupt, but we don't know exactly what happened other than an old black dude was detained for whatever reason and then got the living sheesh beaten out of him.  Until we know what happened, we should withhold absolute support for the old black dude, but that doesn't mean we can't decry the cops for overreaction.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/05 at 11:04 pm

But you don't know that he didn't do something "legitimately wrong", and that's all I wanted to get from you ;)

How do you know who among us has not done something "legitimately wrong"?  Who gets to define "legitimate"? 

What Tanya pointed out reminds me of the idiocy of terrorist profiling based on ethnicity.  OK, they're going to search young men at the airport.  So what jihadist bombers are going to send in an Afghani dude named Abdul who has a big beard, a head dress, and a prayer rug?  None who want to execute a successful mission.  The jihadists will recruit a bomber who fits the dead-opposite profile...

http://www.headbanger.us/gallerie_a/bilder/acdc_dirty_deeds_done_dirt_cheap_front.jpg

See the lady in foreground?  There's your next martyr for Allah!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 11:07 pm

How do you know who among us has not done something "legitimately wrong"?  Who gets to define "legitimate"? 

That was my point, YOU DON'T KNOW.  Neither do I.  We are in agreement that the punishment did not fit whatever crime was committed, that is indisputable.  I am just saying that the black gentleman may not have been completely innocent either.  The cops should still be punished to the fullest extent of the law (unlikely :( ::) ) and we should continue to be in uproar, but that does not mean we should automatically exonerate the "beatee"  :-\\

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/13/05 at 2:34 pm

They look for BLACK people to beat up because they like to and because mostly they can get away with it. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/13/05 at 2:43 pm

The brother was looking to buy a pack of G.D. cigarettes for J.H. Crists's sake.  He is a recovering alcholic and adict who hasn't had a drink in years (so he says), and was asking the mounted cop, who tried to block the camera, about the curfew.  And what about the AP producer who was also man-handled?  Those pigs were out of control and getting of on creaming a black dude.  That's the long and short of it, and it happens every day.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/13/05 at 3:16 pm

African American male in New Orleans on the same side of the street as a white cop.  He probably didn't
avert his eyes and step into the gutter, and before some of you get all tight around the tush my father
was from Louisiana, and I have extended family down there who do not venture into New Orleans.  This is
reality in America(what you thought it was a free country? well it is, but more free for some)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/13/05 at 3:35 pm

What Tanya pointed out reminds me of the idiocy of terrorist profiling based on ethnicity.  OK, they're going to search young men at the airport.  So what jihadist bombers are going to send in an Afghani dude named Abdul who has a big beard, a head dress, and a prayer rug?  None who want to execute a successful mission.  The jihadists will recruit a bomber who fits the dead-opposite profile...

http://www.headbanger.us/gallerie_a/bilder/acdc_dirty_deeds_done_dirt_cheap_front.jpg

See the lady in foreground?  There's your next martyr for Allah!

Thanks Max, for the shout-out!

Written By: alyceclover on 10/19/05 at 9:27 pm

the man said he hasn't had a drink in 25 years....perhaps he could prove that in a court of law...police have a tough job, to enforce the law, not to play Judge, Jury & executioner, which is what many of them do...I know a lot of people from New Oleans and have been told the police there are really tough...meaning they probably are over-zealous...racism is alive & kicking in America, not just New Orleans  >:(

Check for new replies or respond here...