» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Religious Intolerence?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/05 at 12:38 pm

I'm sure not many people here are concerned about this because they are not Wiccan but I would like to hear what your comments are about this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051011/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_prayer_lawsuit_1

Cat

Subject: Re: Religious Intolerence?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/11/05 at 1:10 pm

I think it's unfortunate. You can't do for one group then bypass others.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/05 at 1:17 pm

If I was a Wiccan wanting respect, I'd probably avoid affiliation with a "Broom Riders Association," however this is the paragraph that struck me:
The county "issues invitations to deliver prayers to all Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religious leaders in the country. It refuses to issue invitations to Native Americans, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Wiccans, or members of any other religion," justices were told in her appeal by     American Civil Liberties Union lawyer Rebecca Glenberg.

It is favoritism clearly to the Big Three Abrahamic networks: Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.  I would put my money on Israel being the reason for Jewish inclusion, and political pressure being the reason for the invitation to Muslims.
This case demonstrates why I am for total separation of church and state.  Religion in state affairs always leads to intolerance, fighting, and factioning.
If they are refusing to invite Buddhists, Hindus, and Sikhs, that is definitely discrimination against the religious views of over a billion people world wide.  Of course, these religions in the U.S. are in the minority, but there is no denying they are organized religions.  Some people will argue that Wicca and animism are not "real" religions.  However, no religion from Christianity to  Hinduism has yet proved to me its deities are "real."
::)

Written By: McDonald on 10/11/05 at 1:51 pm

It's ludicrous. I don't think that any prayer at all is appropriate, but if they insist, then there needs to be equal opportunity.

When I was a religious man, my religious category of choice was neopaganism. I still sort of identify with it, in the sense that non-religious people still celebrate Christmas... Whenever a sabbat rolls around, I usually look at it as a special day apart from the rest. Although I'm totally agnostic these days I feel that it's ok to still be involved in religious traditions, even if it's only to have a little fun.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/05 at 1:59 pm

Why not just have a moment of silence and that way everyone can pray to whatever God or Goddess they want to-or not pray to any diety if they so chose.

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 10/11/05 at 2:22 pm

Why not just have a moment of silence and that way everyone can pray to whatever God or Goddess they want to-or not pray to any diety if they so chose.

Cat

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me. But I still think the whole institution of prayer or a moment of designated silence designed for prayer or the defiant absence thereof is just totally unnecessary in the first place. Pray (or don't pray) at home or church.

Written By: Ophrah on 10/11/05 at 2:24 pm

Arrrgh!  How is this a SC/Constitutional issue?  The establishment and free exercise clauses deal with Congress.  CONGRESS.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/11/05 at 6:38 pm

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me. But I still think the whole institution of prayer or a moment of designated silence designed for prayer or the defiant absence thereof is just totally unnecessary in the first place. Pray (or don't pray) at home or church.

I agree but if people INSTIST on having prayer, it should be done silently. When I involved with the food shelf, I served on the board of directors and we ALWAYS had to start our meetings with a Christian prayer (since many of the local clergy were also on the board). I felt very uncomfortable about it. They KNEW (at least some of them did) that I wasn't a Christian but it didn't matter to them. And I have a feeling that my religion was part of the reason why they were trying to get me to leave-which it did work.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/12/05 at 2:22 pm

Yes, and they had the stake, the ******s, and the oil all ready for you.  The burning was to be done in the town square, but not to worry, the fire dept. was on call.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/05 at 12:39 pm

Arrrgh!  How is this a SC/Constitutional issue?  The establishment and free exercise clauses deal with Congress.  CONGRESS.

I, for one, didn't say "Constitutional," that's an argument ongoing for decades.  I said I believed in separation of church and state because religion is exclusive.

Yes, and they had the stake, the ******s, and the oil all ready for you.  The burning was to be done in the town square, but not to worry, the fire dept. was on call.

I beg your pardon!
;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/13/05 at 2:29 pm

The separation of church and state is essential at all levels, and since the Constitution trumps all other laws it is universally enshrined in our legal system. 

If we don't recongnize, and honor the rights of minority sects we are inviting the return of the Inquisition.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/13/05 at 6:42 pm

I wonder if a buddhists monk approached them, would they accept his offer or not

"The county "issues invitations to deliver prayers to all Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religious leaders in the country. It refuses to issue invitations to Native Americans, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Wiccans, or members of any other religion......"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/05 at 10:01 pm

"The county "issues invitations to deliver prayers to all Christian, Muslim, and Jewish religious leaders in the country. It refuses to issue invitations to Native Americans, Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs, Wiccans, or members of any other religion......"

Yeah, that heathen stuff don't go 'round heeer, boy!

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/17/05 at 10:36 am

Why not just offer prayers that are not specific to a particular faith/tradition?  No Buddha, No Jesus, no witch on a broom.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/05 at 3:55 pm

Yes, I read that, but I was wondering if any other religious leaders had approached them and if they had been refused or if they just voluntarily didn't invite them....

Yeah, the county commissioner started throwing holy water on the Buddhist monk, and chanting "The power of Christ compels you!  The power of Christ compels you!"
:D

Written By: alyceclover on 10/19/05 at 9:48 pm

we're supposed to be a democracy but we're not, yes, we have the freedom to practice whatever religion we want, but church and state are not separated, and in my opinion, they should be....growing up Catholic, I believed I'd go to hell if I died without confessing a sin, such as lying, so if I did not want to 'lie' to my children by having 'santa' bring them presents, they'd be outkasts in school, even pre-school, when December comes around it's all about Santa & Christmas trees, and Christmas is a Christian holiday, is the example of why I strongly believe we should keep the two separate....the funny thing is, that the Christian way of celebrating Christmas with the Christmas tree has it's roots in 'pagan' religion involving a tree god (goddess?) and the date was chosen to co-incide with a pagan festival involving the sun....so, if those people, are kinda dumb, to oppose prayer of this kind...I think prayer is good, and like the all religion/alternating way, or the moment of silence....so that's what I think

Check for new replies or respond here...