» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What do you think about this cartoon?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 2:03 pm

New UNICEF ad shows Smurf village being bombed

This is certainly a new way to raise awareness.

Subject: Re: What do you think about this cartoon?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/12/05 at 2:15 pm

While somewhat grusome (as war always is) its certainlky less grusome than actual photos of mangled dead bodies and maimed kids.  Too many people romantasize war.  This seems like an acceptable antidote.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 2:22 pm

I agree that it is an appropriate metaphor, but interestingly, the only issue I have with it is that the article doesn't state whether Peyo or his family had any say about the use of their creations and intellectual properties to convey the message.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/12/05 at 2:24 pm

Interesting question.  I guess I assumed they had given permission, otherwise, the lawers will be circling.

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/12/05 at 8:12 pm

I read an article about this, Peyos family gave complete allowence for them to use the images. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/12/05 at 8:46 pm

^ In that case, I believe that they did a good job with this advertising scheme.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/05 at 8:54 pm

It's not very effective.  Look, I hated the Smurfs.  I wanted to bomb the Smurfs into oblivion!
Children are real.  Smurfs are a dumb cartoon. 
We all grew up seeing cartoon characters get blown to smithereens, and then pop back to life.  Think "Acme Roadrunner Catching Kit."
It's sort of like a campaign against gun violence showing Barney getting machine-gunned in a drive-by shooting!
:D

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/14/05 at 3:21 pm

It's sort of like a campaign against gun violence showing Barney getting machine-gunned in a drive-by shooting!

stop giving me ideas!

Written By: Mushroom on 10/14/05 at 4:17 pm

It's not very effective.  Look, I hated the Smurfs.  I wanted to bomb the Smurfs into oblivion!

I agree with you there Max, 100%!

If I saw that posted up, I would rush out to buy more guns and bombs, just to kill more of the little blue freaks.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/15/05 at 1:55 am

You people have no souls :D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/15/05 at 4:48 am

http://www.suckadelic.com/images/page%20elements/SuperVillains%20files/snapshots/gargamel.jpg

"Aha! So THAT'S how you make napalm!!!" 

Written By: alyceclover on 10/17/05 at 9:49 pm

I like it....according to the link, it's working...bringing people to UNICEF, perhaps getting the message across...people don't seem to care that real live little babies & children are being affected by bombing and worse, maybe by horrifying them by using a much loved cartoon character, people of earth will get together to find alternate ways to resolve differances.... :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...