» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: .01 DUI Limit in D.C.!

Written By: Ophrah on 10/13/05 at 8:40 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/11/AR2005101101968.html

Subject: Re: .01 DUI Limit in D.C.!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/05 at 11:15 am

I didn't read the entire article, but that's ****ing crazy! 

The way alcohol effects different people varies so much, I thought .08 was dodgy, but .01 is ridiculous, it just gives the cops more bullying power.  Better switch to soda pop or mineral water if you're driving in D.C.  If you can get busted for driving on one glass of wine, they might as well be able to bust you for driving just a little bit drowsy.
The woman in the article drove out of a parking garage with her headlights off.  Easy mistake in areas with a lot of artificial lighting.  I did the same thing last night stone sober!

As D.C. police officer Dennis Fair, who arrested (Debra) Bolton on May 15, put it in an interview recently: "If you get behind the wheel of a car with any measurable amount of alcohol, you will be dealt with in D.C. We have zero tolerance. . . . Anything above .01, we can arrest."

Ironic the cop's name is "Fair," and "zero tolerance" is literal in this case.  They'll tolerate only a 0.0 alcohol level.  Oh, and one thing about those on-the-scene Breathylizers, they're inaccurate--especially with very low BAC levels, so a lot of people do get hauled in when they're not legally drunk.  Maybe your BAC is 0.009, but it ain't gonna matter!

Written By: McDonald on 10/13/05 at 2:01 pm

Not only is that outrageous, but I have a sneaking suspicion it might be racially motivated.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/05 at 10:18 pm

Not only is that outrageous, but I have a sneaking suspicion it might be racially motivated.

Well, the lady in question is a 45-year-old white lady who is a lawyer in the Dept. of Energy, she was had a glass of red wine at a chi-chi restaurant, and was on her way back to her posh home in the suburbs.  I've got a sneaking suspicion that's why it made a splash in the Post.  Ms. Bolton isn't your usual drunk tank collar.
If it was Joe the janitor driving his old truck home after a couple of beers at the dive bar, I doubt anyone in the press would give a rat's azz!

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/13/05 at 10:22 pm

Good God, is there anything some people think is NOT racially motivated?

Regardless, this is just plain absurd.  Mouthwash could probably put you over that alcohol limit.

Written By: McDonald on 10/14/05 at 12:06 am

Good God, is there anything some people think is NOT racially motivated?

Regardless, this is just plain absurd.  Mouthwash could probably put you over that alcohol limit.

I'm not talking about this incident, I'm talking about the law itself.

And for GW, just because we've made significant progress in the past 40 years as far as racism is concerned, doesn't mean we've fixed everything.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/05 at 2:34 pm

GW, you're probably right....now there are going to be a bunch of stinky-breathed people driving around the city ::)

Too bad this law doesn't apply to the congressmen.....I can bet that MOST of them have driven waaaayyyy over the .01 limit ;)

All you have to do is ride down in the same elevator with Teddy Kennedy, and you'll blow double drunk!
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...