» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: What Is Your Diet?

Written By: Ophrah on 10/20/05 at 6:52 pm

What's the best description of how you eat?

Subject: Re: What Is Your Diet?

Written By: McDonald on 10/20/05 at 7:11 pm

I'm health conscious when I can afford to be, but usually I just eat whatever's available.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/20/05 at 7:41 pm

I'm health conscious when I can afford to be, but usually I just eat whatever's available.

Basically, so am I.

Written By: Powerslave on 10/20/05 at 7:53 pm

What's a traditional diet?

Written By: Dagwood on 10/20/05 at 9:02 pm

Traditional.  I like meat and can't let it go.  I do try to eat healthy, though. 

Written By: McDonald on 10/20/05 at 9:15 pm

What's a traditional diet?

For North American Anglophones, the traditional diet consists of mainly meat and starches like potatoes, bread, corn, etc... also native vegetables like squashes, leafy-greens, and others are staples of the average diet. The typical "well-rounded" meal here consists of a serving of meat, a serving of starch, and a serving of vegetable. The main meats are beef, poultry (chicken and turkey mostly), and pork, but many people also consume wild game products (venison, moose, fowl, wild swine, etc...) that are killed by either someone in the family or by a close friend (since wild game is not typically sold by grocers).

Depending on one's particular ethnic background, significant variations may occur. In Mexico (and with many Mexican-American families) one sees much more rice, beans, chiles, and use of animal products that are not traditionally used by North American Anglophones .

The cuisine of the North American Francophone population, mostly centralised in the Canadian province of Québec but also present in other parts of Canada and in the American state of Louisiana, also differs much from the traditional Anglo diet. There is also a major divide between the cuisine of the Québécois, Acadians, and their relatives the Cajuns. Food in Québec is very similar to food in the rest of Canada, but is also heavily influenced by European (specifically French) cuisine. Moose was at one time common in the more rural areas, and stews are a common thing. Acadian diets contain much more seafood, as most Acadians are located in the Maritime provinces. Cajun food is an entirely different monster. The diet consists of more seafood (such as crawfish and shrimp, among others of course), more rice, and the food is much spicier. Common Cajun dishes are crawfish étouffé, boudin sausage, and the world-famous gumbo.

In all the socio-linguistic categories, geographical location also plays a large role in dietary constitution. However, with the growing reliance on Supermarkets and imported foods, most fruits and vegetables are available year round in every part of the US and Canada. Also, with the urbanisation/suburbanisation of the US and Canadian populations, wild game is becoming much less a staple of the North American diet than it once was. And what a shame, because it's very good. All this is more or less standardising the typical American and Canadian diets, so there is much less variation. There are a few other forces at play here as well, such as the waspification of ethnic-whites and more recently other minorties as well. An example would be found among the Jewish-American population, where the traditional dietary stipulations of Kashruth are more commonly ignored in favour of the standard (Anglo) American diet, and therefore it is not uncommon to find a Jewish person chowing down on a ham sandwich and washing it down with a big glass of milk (a very unkosher concept indeed).    

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/20/05 at 11:07 pm

gumbo is creole, not cajun! LOL

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/05 at 11:12 pm

The four food groups:

caffeine, ice cream, peanut butter, and pizza.

Heh heh!
;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/20/05 at 11:18 pm

Does beer count?

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/20/05 at 11:20 pm

more or less health-conscious with a daily dose of chicken  8)

Written By: Ophrah on 10/20/05 at 11:22 pm

I was vegan for a while, but I've been backsliding and eating meat.  I'm going to try to go back.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/21/05 at 3:44 pm

Traditional.  Meat & spuds, pork, beef, chicken, sea food, occasional fish, pasta, lots of veggies, and snacks after dinner.  I'm 6'1'' and have weighed about 160 for at leat 20 years, so I guess my diet is ok.  By the way, I usually only eat 1 meal per day, and only snack after dinner.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/21/05 at 10:17 pm

As a Type 2 diabetic that uses insulin, I have to be very conscious of what I eat..I like to eat salads rather than cooked veggies, and I try not to eat red meat more than once a week.. :)

I cannot skip meals. If I did I'd have hypoglycemia.

:D    And I HAVE to have my caffeinated diet sodas!  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 2:07 am

The Diet of Worms
;D

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/22/05 at 10:09 am

The Diet of Worms
;D

That tequila will kill ya.

Written By: Apricot on 10/22/05 at 12:13 pm

http://shirumade.nomitai.com/data/1451.jpg

http://www.adweek.com/adweek/photos/2004/11/W1/03_N_News_dietPepsi_L.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/22/05 at 12:15 pm

Traditional.  Meat & spuds, pork, beef, chicken, sea food, occasional fish, pasta, lots of veggies, and snacks after dinner.  I'm 6'1'' and have weighed about 160 for at leat 20 years, so I guess my diet is ok.  By the way, I usually only eat 1 meal per day, and only snack after dinner.

Wow, isn't amazing that we have the same diet?  ;) ;D  But, I seem to be getting on your schedual and only eat one meal a day instead of two-which isn't good for my low blood sugar.  :-\\  Bring on the chocolate.  ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 1:25 pm

Ramen Rocks!
It's getting pricey though.  I bought some this week, they're up to .23 a pop!
:-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 1:30 pm

That tequila will kill ya.

Isn't the worm in that Mesquite stuff, or whatever they call it down south of the border?

Diet of Worms is a pun on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_of_Worms
which always gave me a chuckle.  I think the German town is pronounced "verms."

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/22/05 at 2:25 pm

http://www.adweek.com/adweek/photos/2004/11/W1/03_N_News_dietPepsi_L.jpg

Last year, several of my students told me they subsisted on Raman & rice.  Not a healthy diet.  But, if you cook the Raman as directed, beat up a couple of eggs into the boiling water, and add some chopped veggies, add a bit of salt & peper, a few drops of soy sauce and you have a very palatable egg drop soup which shouldn't cost more than $1.00 for at least 2 servings.  The Pepsi is optional.

Written By: Apricot on 10/22/05 at 4:18 pm

Ramen Rocks!
It's getting pricey though.  I bought some this week, they're up to .23 a pop!

Wow... 23 cents? Daaaaaaaaamn.

We get 'em on the cheap, somehow.. 10 cents a pack or so.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 9:58 pm

Last year, several of my students told me they subsisted on Raman & rice.  Not a healthy diet.  But, if you cook the Raman as directed, beat up a couple of eggs into the boiling water, and add some chopped veggies, add a bit of salt & peper, a few drops of soy sauce and you have a very palatable egg drop soup which shouldn't cost more than $1.00 for at least 2 servings.  The Pepsi is optional.

When you're in your dorm room cramming for exams, it's Ramen over boiled water, straight no chaser!  I remember those days...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/22/05 at 10:10 pm

The Pepsi is optional.
But recommended.  :D

But seriously, I'm not much of a pepsi/coke fan.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/05 at 10:27 pm

It's OK, Mr. Redshirt, nothing to be ashamed of.  But if you keep denying it, you may never get the help that you need. 

Written By: McDonald on 10/23/05 at 2:31 pm

That Ramen is good sometimes, but it's loaded with monosodium glutamate (MSG). I try not to eat it often, though I wish I could because it doesn't taste bad and it's cheap as hell.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/05 at 6:26 pm

Neither am I.  I don't like any cola.

Cat

Written By: Mistress Leola on 10/24/05 at 10:14 am

Isn't the worm in that Mesquite stuff, or whatever they call it down south of the border?

Diet of Worms is a pun on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_of_Worms
which always gave me a chuckle.  I think the German town is pronounced "verms."

Aw geez Max, I knew what youalls was talkin' 'bout -- I might not got all yer fancy book-lurnin', but I did graduate me from grammer school 'n everthang, y'know.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/05 at 3:04 pm

Aw geez Max, I knew what youalls was talkin' 'bout -- I might not got all yer fancy book-lurnin', but I did graduate me from grammer school 'n everthang, y'know.  ;)

Well, I knew you knew, Erasmus, it was for the edification of those less astute!
::)

Written By: STAR70 on 10/29/05 at 4:10 pm

I'm on the See-Food diet....

Check for new replies or respond here...