» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Harriet Miers withdraws

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/05 at 8:09 am

Victory.

Now time for a real conservative!

Subject: Re: Harriet Miers withdraws

Written By: Alchoholica on 10/27/05 at 9:03 am

Victory.

Now time for a real conservative!

Excellent..

However, I'd have no problem with a real conservative.. however, the definition of Conservative has been so bastardized in recent years i fear what we'll get. Homophobic Neo Nazi Woman Hating Religious Zealot i would imagine.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/05 at 9:18 am

I agree with your first statement......

What do you have against conservatives?

I feel sorry for the way Ms. Miers was treated, but she was underqualified and not a conservative.  She supported affirmative action for Christ's sake.

Written By: Ophrah on 10/27/05 at 9:53 am

As Justice Roberts tried to explain to a lot of deaf years, believing in something is separate from whether you think it's Constitutional or not.  People should worry less about what nominees personally "believe in" and worry more about their Constitutional interpretation philosophy.  Do you really want somebody screwing with the Constitution just so they rule in favor of stuff you "believe in"?

Written By: Tia on 10/27/05 at 10:26 am

i think she was nominated in case any of this traitorgate valerie plame stuff ended up in the supreme court. she could definitely be counted on to exonerate the COOLEST and most GENIUSEST president EVER!!

so, you know, back to the drawing board. i think, much to GW2004's chagrin, the next nominee will be similar -- with a minimal judicial profile but a history of personal and professional association with administration officials. it's quite a consistent pattern. they're in such hot water they really can't afford to do anything else.

Written By: McDonald on 10/27/05 at 2:07 pm

I feel sorry for the way Ms. Miers was treated, but she was underqualified and not a conservative.  She supported affirmative action for Christ's sake.

If you actually have beat yourself over the head hard enough to make yourself believe that this woman is not a conservative, then omfg. Her minister (of a highly conservative evangelical church here in Dallas) actually spoke on her behalf. There was no doubt in the mind of any liberal with half a brain that this woman was a neocon freak. The whole conservative controversy over her was a fraud, a diversion to make everyone think that nobody was getting what they wanted. I'm surprised she withdrew, but I'm certainly not fooling myself.

And as far as Affirmative Action is concerned, not every self-described conservative is against it. Only a... "certain few" if you get my drift.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/05 at 2:21 pm

so, you know, back to the drawing board. i think, much to GW2004's chagrin, the next nominee will be similar -- with a minimal judicial profile but a history of personal and professional association with administration officials. it's quite a consistent pattern. they're in such hot water they really can't afford to do anything else.

I'm quoting this to make a point after the next supreme court nominee is picked.

If you actually have beat yourself over the head hard enough to make yourself believe that this woman is not a conservative, then omfg. Her minister (of a highly conservative evangelical church here in Dallas) actually spoke on her behalf. There was no doubt in the mind of any liberal with half a brain that this woman was a neocon freak. The whole conservative controversy over her was a fraud, a diversion to make everyone think that nobody was getting what they wanted. I'm surprised she withdrew, but I'm certainly not fooling myself.

So because she is an evangelical Christian, she's a conservative?  Come on.

The thing is, this nomination had it's most of it's opposition from the right.  No record of conservatism.  Supported affirmative action, made pro-abortion comments in Dallas back in the early 1990's, donated to Al Gore in 1988, and on and on.  She reminded every conservative of David Souter, Souter-in-a-skirt if you will.

Wait and see, the next nominee is going to be a well-known conservative with a long record of supporting conservatives ideas.

Also calling her a "freak" is really uncalled for.

Written By: McDonald on 10/27/05 at 2:25 pm

She's not just an evangelical Christian, she belongs to one of the most conservative evangelical churches in the country. Not only that, she supported Dubya in his TX gubernatorial campaigns, and in at least his first presidential campaign. So what if she donated to Al Gore... how much did she doante? Could have been $100! Opposing sides do that all the time as an act of good faith.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/27/05 at 3:25 pm

In a way I'm sorry she withdrew.  A long, dragged out process would have been nice, leading, of coourse, to her being turned down.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/27/05 at 3:33 pm

I agree with your first statement......

Same here.

Written By: Ophrah on 10/27/05 at 3:40 pm

You're allowed to call public figures names as long as they're not forum members.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/05 at 4:18 pm

You're allowed to call public figures names as long as they're not forum members.

I never said you're not allowed to insult public figures.  All I said was calling Ms. Miers a freak was uncalled for.

Written By: McDonald on 10/27/05 at 5:03 pm

I never said you're not allowed to insult public figures.  All I said was calling Ms. Miers a freak was uncalled for.

::)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 10/27/05 at 6:08 pm

Conspiracy theory alert:

My feeling is that this was a dummy nomination.  She stood no chance in hell of getting nominated, kind of like how John Kerry's only shot at actually being elected President is because Dubya is a retard.  That being said, now that Miers has been rejected, the next halfway decent nominee will be welcomed with relief by Congress.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/05 at 9:45 pm

Where do I start!?!?  :D

OK, you didn't ask me...
Anyway, I saw this coming.  There was no way they were gonna let Congress rake her over the coals.  I thought they'd cut their losses sometime between the middle of this month and the first week of November.

Now, where's that Black layd jurist to the right of Mussolini?
::)

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 4:56 am

Also calling her a "freak" is really uncalled for.

oh, i imagine she'll get over it.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/28/05 at 12:04 pm

http://www.latimes.com/includes/ramirez/ramirez_20051027.gif

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/28/05 at 1:02 pm

From Hugh Hewitt's blog:

Justice Alito?

That's what ConfirmThem is hearing. He would be a great choice, as would Judge Luttig, also in the mix. Here's a quick guide to some of Judge Alito's key opinions.

But this president hasn't stopped liking surprises.

Link: http://hughhewitt.com/archives/2005/10/23-week/index.php#a000401

From ConfirmThem:

Multiple sources are telling RedState that Samuel A. Alito, Jr. of the Third Circuit Court of Appeals will be named by the President at the next associate justice of the United States Supreme Court as early as Monday.

“The situation is still in flux,” says one source, “but not very much.” Says another, “The White House Counsel’s Office is not doing too good at keeping this a secret.”

Still another source says, “Luttig and Alito were the fall backs to Miers. They have both been vetted. Alito seems more palatable. There is no need to drag this out, he’s been vetted a million times.”

And yet another source tells me that he is convinced Alito is the nominee barring some last minute unforeseen issue. All signs are pointing to Judge Alito right now. Things could change, but as the weekend draws closer it seems more and more likely that Judge Alito will be the nominee and conservatives will have a fight on their hands in the Senate — a very winnable fight.

Link: http://www.confirmthem.com/

--This is a VERY conservative judge.  One who once said congress has no right to regulate the sale of machine guns.

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 1:07 pm

i always felt the problem with this country was that not nearly enough people were walking around with machine guns.  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...