» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: DEMON-EYES-ING CONDI: USA TODAY Caught Photoshopping Secretary of State

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/05 at 1:42 pm

Check out the photo of Condoleezza Rice that was published by USA Today last week:

http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2005/10/19/RICE-inside.jpg

Notice anything peculiar about her eyes?  No, Condi isn't possessed; the photo was manipulated.

This news comes courtesy of From The Pen, which found a pre-doctored version of the Associated Press photo on Yahoo! España:

http://www.drudgereport.com/realcondi.jpg

Link: http://michellemalkin.com/archives/003780.htm

--USA Today has now issued a lame excuse.

Subject: Re: DEMON-EYES-ING CONDI: USA TODAY Caught Photoshopping Secretary of State

Written By: nally on 10/27/05 at 1:45 pm

Yes, I can definitely see a difference in the eyes between the two photos. The top one does look pretty scary. :o

I just read the editor's note too.

Subject: Re: DEMON-EYES-ING CONDI: USA TODAY Caught Photoshopping Secretary of State

Written By: McDonald on 10/27/05 at 2:09 pm

She's eqaully ugly in both pictures from where I'm standing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/27/05 at 2:46 pm

I was thinking the same thing.

Cat

Written By: Ophrah on 10/27/05 at 2:51 pm

As if she needs demonizing.  All you have to do is listen to her.  Her testimony in front of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee last week was embarrassing.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/05 at 2:53 pm

Yet another insult?

Written By: Ophrah on 10/27/05 at 3:10 pm

You're not allowed to insult posters.  So if she joins the forum, everybody has to be nice to her.  Anybody want to invite her?

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/27/05 at 3:19 pm

Physically I think she's rather nice looking, its her politics and ideas that are ugly.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/27/05 at 3:45 pm

At least they came clean after being caught:

Editor's note: The photo of Condoleezza Rice that originally accompanied this story was altered in a manner that did not meet USA TODAY's editorial standards. The photo has been replaced by a properly adjusted copy. Photos published online are routinely cropped for size and adjusted for brightness and sharpness to optimize their appearance. In this case, after sharpening the photo for clarity, the editor brightened a portion of Rice's face, giving her eyes an unnatural appearance. This resulted in a distortion of the original not in keeping with our editorial standards.

Although after looking at both pics, only the eyes seem different between the two.  That is very selective "sharpening".

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/27/05 at 3:54 pm

At least they came clean after being caught:

Although after looking at both pics, only the eyes seem different between the two.  That is very selective "sharpening".

I guess I see it differently.  Look at her mouth, eyebrows, earings etc.  The redone photo is much sharper.  And why would USA Today want to demonize poor little Condi?  To paraphrase Steve Martin "She was born a poor white girl..."

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/05 at 4:13 pm

You're not allowed to insult posters.

http://www.ctgilles.net/images/pictars/master_obvious.jpg

Written By: STAR70 on 10/27/05 at 5:05 pm

the Mug-shot of O.J. Simpson on the cover of Time was also manipulated .

Written By: McDonald on 10/27/05 at 5:10 pm

Yet another insult?

Yet another episode of "GW the Hall Monitor?" You think I didn't totally foresee your reaction? Just an example of how little I care, I guess.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/27/05 at 5:11 pm

the Mug-shot of O.J. Simpson on the cover of Time was also manipulated .

Yes, and at the time I complained about that as well.

The only time I find something like that acceptable is when the intent is obviously "satire".  When it is intended as a serious report, then it is inappropriate.

There was also a case of MJ a few months ago that I thought was inappropriate.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/27/05 at 5:19 pm

You think I didn't totally foresee your reaction?

Yes.

Just an example of how little I care....

The feelings mutual.

Written By: McDonald on 10/27/05 at 6:13 pm

Yes.

Yeah, because we're all familiar with your reputation as the most spontaneous and unpredictable member of the board. Sometimes, I'm just utterly shocked at your ability to not toe the party line, always staying 100% authentic in your response to any situation... 

;D

Written By: philbo on 10/27/05 at 6:19 pm

Sorry, but that's just plain comic: it's not as though it isn't obvious that the top pic's been doctored... are people really getting worked up about it over there?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/05 at 9:39 pm

Physically I think she's rather nice looking, its her politics and ideas that are ugly.

Bingo!  I confess to Condi dominatrix fantasies passing through my mind!
:-U.S.A. Toady to doctor the photos?  I've never heard that publication reputed to be a leftie attack rag.  I mean, maybe Brent Bozzel and clods who think anybody to the left of Fred Barnes is a flaming red think U.S.A. Toady is a stealth version of Ramparts....
::)

Written By: Ophrah on 10/27/05 at 11:15 pm

http://www.ctgilles.net/images/pictars/master_obvious.jpg

That's not the kind of poster I meant.  I mean somebody who posts on the messageboard.  Why would I care about some silly movie poster?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/05 at 11:19 pm

That's not the kind of poster I meant.  I mean somebody who posts on the messageboard.  Why would I care about some silly movie poster?  ???

Are you sure he's not just d*cking around with you?
;D

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/28/05 at 4:34 am

Yeah, because we're all familiar with your reputation as the most spontaneous and unpredictable member of the board. Sometimes, I'm just utterly shocked at your ability to not toe the party line, always staying 100% authentic in your response to any situation... 

This shows a lot.  I tow the party line?  After complaining multiple times about CAFTA, spending, immigration and Harriet Miers?  I've complained many times on some Bush policy or some republican party policy.  This post falls under grasping at straws.

Now then I'll start a thread about any old subject, say what's your opinion of the republican party in general, and see how predictable some on here are.

Written By: Ophrah on 10/28/05 at 10:16 am

I guess being consistent and predictable is an insult in this crazy world!

Instead of being 'predictable', does it makes more sense, for example, to support a party that often claims to advocate "less government" but then at the same time encourages the government to:

RESTRICT women's right to terminate early pregnancies
RESTRICT people's right to seek damages for malpractice and corporate misdeeds
RESTRICT businesses' and universities' ability to diversify their environments in the manner they've determined is appropriate
RESTRICT and REGULATE content on the airwaves
RESTRICT and REGULATE marriage, the most intimate of all interpersonal relationships...

That doesn't sound much like "less government" to me!

I'm fairly conservative (small 'c') in many ways, and I believe that in order to have a viable, healthy society, much of this should be restricted and regulated too. But that just shows how meaningless the mantra of "less government" is. Many 'Conservatives' try to make out that 'Liberals' are the ones looking to disrupt the good and 'natural order of things' by imposing government where it doesn't belong. This is not a sensible idea. We need good government, we need to have efficient, effective structures and mechanisms in place to make sure the principles we say we believe in actually mean something in the real world.

Written By: Mushroom on 10/28/05 at 10:17 am

What would the motivation for U.S.A. Toady to doctor the photos?

I do not think it was "USA Today", as much as one of their staff members.  It is not unusual for reporters to occasionally try and turn "news" into "commentary".  I do not blame the newspaper myself in this incident.

Uhhh, I think that is just a little to much information there, Max!

Now I gotta get the image of Max hog-tied wearing leather out of my mind.

:P

Written By: Ophrah on 10/28/05 at 10:57 am

:-[

Written By: Tia on 10/28/05 at 11:03 am

;D

http://www.junknugget.com/forum/images/smiles/catharsh.jpg

good one!

Written By: Ophrah on 10/28/05 at 11:16 am

There was also a case of MJ a few months ago that I thought was inappropriate.

Michael's actual face is inappropriate.  :o

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/28/05 at 3:53 pm

:-her tied up.

This silliness is fun, but the issue is silly.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/28/05 at 6:51 pm

Frankly, my Condi fantasy is having her tied up.

This silliness is fun, but the issue is silly.

Um... And do WHAT with her??

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/05 at 8:06 pm

I do not think it was "USA Today", as much as one of their staff members.  It is not unusual for reporters to occasionally try and turn "news" into "commentary".  I do not blame the newspaper myself in this incident.

Uhhh, I think that is just a little to much information there, Max!

Now I gotta get the image of Max hog-tied wearing leather out of my mind.

So, that's what editors are for.  If it was just a prankster in the graphics department, big deal!  The paper isn't taking an editorial stand on anything....and rarely does it do so, that's why I call it by the unflattering epithet.

And get your mind out of the gutter.  I was just thinking Conding making me scrub her kitchen floor....and we're both wearing nothing but leather chaps and garters!  Muuuwahahaha!
8)

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/05 at 8:13 pm

That top photo scares the piss out of me  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/28/05 at 8:39 pm

Cat

The cornupia of possibilities boggles the mind!!!

Written By: deadrockstar on 10/28/05 at 11:24 pm

The cornupia of possibilities boggles the mind!!!

Ewww. Shes ugly, Max.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/05 at 8:37 pm

Ewww. Shes ugly, Max.

Perhaps an aid for your turn, then?
http://www.cityofcarrollton.com/images1/cio/Trinity%20Waste%20Services/sack.jpg

Written By: McDonald on 10/31/05 at 2:00 am

This shows a lot.  I tow the party line?  After complaining multiple times about CAFTA, spending, immigration and Harriet Miers?  I've complained many times on some Bush policy or some republican party policy.  This post falls under grasping at straws.

Now then I'll start a thread about any old subject, say what's your opinion of the republican party in general, and see how predictable some on here are.

These 'complaints' are venial at best! After all, some Communists would have preferred Trotsky, but that doesn't make them much different from those who preferred Stalin. Iedeologically speaking, you're a clear-cut Republican, and don't pretend I'm pulling that right out of my @ss. I've been reading nearly every one of your posts for over a year now. I've seen the best and the worst of your political leanings, the former being much scanter than the latter, I might add.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/01/05 at 3:26 pm

Cat

Use your imagination dear  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/05 at 7:10 pm

Use your imagination dear  ::)

Should I be jealous?

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/05 at 7:42 pm

Should I be jealous?

Cat

Better check under his pillow for Condi pics!

Written By: Powerslave on 11/01/05 at 8:06 pm

This thread is scaring me.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/02/05 at 4:45 pm

Should I be jealous?

Cat

I was thinking more about the rack, whips, thumb screws, the iron maiden.  If those make you jealous...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/02/05 at 7:29 pm

I was thinking more about the rack, whips, thumb screws, the iron maiden.  If those make you jealous...

Oh, ok. I thought that you were thinking.... :-X

Cat

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/30/05 at 9:02 am

Sorry, but that's just plain comic: it's not as though it isn't obvious that the top pic's been doctored... are people really getting worked up about it over there?

Here is a question for everybody here with the above sentiments, and be honest.  What would you say if the exact thing happened with Hillary Clinton and Fox News as opposed to Condi Rice and USA Today.

Written By: Tia on 11/30/05 at 11:31 am

Here is a question for everybody here with the above sentiments, and be honest.

Written By: Tia on 11/30/05 at 11:35 am

well, fox news really IS slanted.

having said that, I could give a rat's a$$ about hillary clinton. she was as gung-ho pro-war as any republican. It's the right is really fixated on her, my feelings on her are decidedly, ah, meh.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/30/05 at 1:07 pm

Here is a question for everybody here with the above sentiments, and be honest.  What would you say if the exact thing happened with Hillary Clinton and Fox News as opposed to Condi Rice and USA Today.

Fox News wouldn't be that subtle.  I think they print horns and a tail on Hillary every time they put her picture up on their site anyways.

This was just another example of simple operator error being spun by the conspiracy nuts on the right wing blogs.  Another distraction from real news which helps to re-enforce the views held by a minorty.  Let the foam at the mouth over something pointless while another member of the party is forced to resign or is indicted.  Didn't this come out around the time of Delay's indictment last month?

There was a simple explanation for this, and there was a simple explanation for the Cheney X, but it's easier to ignore them and come up some crazy explanation.  It fits the persecution complex the neocons have.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/30/05 at 1:09 pm

well, fox news really IS slanted.

Really? I thought it was "fair and balanced".  ::)  And as Bill O'Rielly says, "The spin stops here."  ::) ::) ::) ::)

(Of course if you believe that, there is a bridge in Brooklyn I will sell ya.)

Cat

Written By: Tia on 11/30/05 at 1:12 pm

There was a simple explanation for this, and there was a simple explanation for the Cheney X, but it's easier to ignore them and come up some crazy explanation.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/30/05 at 6:18 pm

Really? I thought it was "fair and balanced".  ::)  And as Bill O'Rielly says, "The spin stops here."  ::) ::) ::) ::)

(Of course if you believe that, there is a bridge in Brooklyn I will sell ya.)

Cat

JHC, Cat, everyone knows there's a bridge in Brooklyn for sale, I have a bridge from Jeuno Alaske to Novrodivska on the Bearing straits for sale, cheap.  Bids welcome.

Check for new replies or respond here...