» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Massachusetts elementary school principal bans Halloween!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 10/30/05 at 7:35 pm

This from AOL News....http://us.video.aol.com/video.index.adp?mode=2&guideContext=65.73&pmmsid=1421999WHY? It's just Halloween!

Subject: Re: Massachusetts elementary school principal bans Halloween!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/05 at 1:37 am

See here, if the heathens can give Christmas the boot, shouldn't the Christians be allowed to give Halloween the boot?
Maybe it isn't the Christians.  News reports I've read say only that some parents feel the Halloween celebration is offensive to their "religious" convictions.  The only religious people I've ever heard of being hung up over Halloween have been Christian fundamentalists....but I wouldn't put it past conservative Jews or Muslims.

Here's the part I like:

The school plans to replace the Halloween party with a fall celebration next month, in which students can dress up as their favorite literary characters.

So my favorite book is Milton's "Paradise Lost," and as we all know, the most intriguing character in Milton is
SATAN
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/nl/1/1d/Satan.jpg
Muuuwahahahaha!!!
See you in November, my children!

Written By: McDonald on 10/31/05 at 1:52 am

This BS goes on every year. There is only a very very small percentage of the US population that actually views Halloween as a religious holiday. For everyone else it's just a bit of fun. Like Xmas. I loved the Xmas parites we always had at school... and the Halloween parties.

Written By: Harmonica on 10/31/05 at 2:35 am

I'm a christian, and Halloween is probably my favorite Holiday of the year!

I got two words for you on this Principal in Massachusetts  "AH BOO!"

Written By: GWBush2004 on 10/31/05 at 6:26 am

Wow.  Halloween was so unpopular when I was young, now it's insanely popular.

I don't know who is opposed to this: right-wing Christians or left-wings PC Wiccans, but this is absurd.  Halloween is suppose to be some stupid fun holiday for young children.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/31/05 at 1:30 pm

Well, being a " left-wing PC Wiccan", I think of Oct. 31st as two different "holidays" (so to speak). The first one is Samhaim which is a religious holiday. I practice this in my own way and it doesn't effect anyone else (well, maybe Carlos  ;) ). The other is Halloween which (or is that witch  ;) ) is about having fun and dressing up. I will be celebrating Halloween by passing out candy to the local ghosts and goblins who come knocking on my door when the Sun goes down. And I may actually dress up myself (which I have done in years passed.)

A few years back, the orginazation that I used to volunteer for decided to hold a party for the kids at the elementary school on Halloween. One of the board members (a Congragational minister) objected to call it a Halloween party because Halloween was the "devil's holiday" or he wasn't going to participate. I was going to ask him if he was going to participate anyway but held my tongue. So we had to call it "October Fun-Fest". And of course, that minister didn't help out with it.  ::) But if you asked any of the kids who were there, they told you it was a Halloween party.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/31/05 at 4:39 pm

Holloween has a long tradition that goes back to Celtic rituals, has nothing to do with devil worship, and has been commercialized to the nth degree (but haven't all holidays?).  For the Goddess's sake, let the  kids have some fun (just don't let them eat all that candy at once).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/05 at 6:40 pm

Holloween has a long tradition that goes back to Celtic rituals, has nothing to do with devil worship, and has been commercialized to the nth degree (but haven't all holidays?).  For the Goddess's sake, let the  kids have some fun (just don't let them eat all that candy at once).

Yeah, my Halloween candy never seemed to last very long no matter how much I picked up trick-or-treating.  I didn't learn the value of economizing until I was older!  ;D

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 10/31/05 at 7:21 pm

The school plans to replace the Halloween party with a fall celebration next month, in which students can dress up as their favorite literary characters.
Well, what about Count Dracula and Frankenstein's monster? Both of them started out as literary characters.

I'm so f**king glad I got to be a kid in the 70's and 80's instead of today, where now you have all these anal baby-boomer parents who are overprotecting their kids and taking all the fun out of childhood.  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/05 at 9:00 pm

Well, what about Count Dracula and Frankenstein's monster? Both of them started out as literary characters.

I'm so f**king glad I got to be a kid in the 70's and 80's instead of today, where now you have all these anal baby-boomer parents who are overprotecting their kids and taking all the fun out of childhood.   >:(

You said it, pal!  This sh*t is loony-toony!

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/31/05 at 9:24 pm

I shoulod have read this before my response in the Don't You Hate It When thread. 
This really gets to me.  Adults just want to ruin it for the kids.  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/31/05 at 10:16 pm

I shoulod have read this before my response in the Don't You Hate It When thread. 
This really gets to me.  Adults just want to ruin it for the kids.   >:(

"People are always ruining things for you."
--Holden Caulfield

Written By: Mushroom on 11/01/05 at 10:45 am

Mass has a history of things like this.

Once upon a time, celebrating Christmas was illegal in Mass, so why not Halloween?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/05 at 12:30 pm

This really gets to me.  Adults just want to ruin it for the kids.  >:(

I thought you did read this-that is why you posted in the "Don't You Hate" Thread.

Cat

Written By: thenewwavechick on 11/01/05 at 2:05 pm

I thought you did read this-that is why you posted in the "Don't You Hate" Thread.

Cat

Nope, I heard another story like that one in Mass, somewhere in Canada (since I live near the Canadian border I get some Canadian radio/TV stations). 

Written By: Powerslave on 11/01/05 at 8:50 pm

Didn't they used to burn people in Mass.? Nothing changes.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/01/05 at 8:53 pm

I'm so f**king glad I got to be a kid in the 70's and 80's instead of today, where now you have all these anal baby-boomer parents who are overprotecting their kids and taking all the fun out of childhood.   >:(
Those same parents are the parents who start teaching their kids reading, writing and 'rithmetic when they're six months old! Yes YUPPIEDOM is still alive and well with parents nowadays!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/02/05 at 9:11 pm

They might as well start banning stuff like the 'baccalaureate' pre-graduation ceremonies in some public high schools because they might offend people of other religions!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/03/05 at 12:36 am

Didn't they used to burn people in Mass.? Nothing changes.

For the last gol darn time, the witches at Salem were not burned, they were hanged.  I am so sick of my Puritan ancestors being ridiculed like a bunch of medieval inquistors because you people can't get your facts straight!
:-\\

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/03/05 at 1:49 am

For the last gol darn time, the witches at Salem were not burned, they were hanged.  I am so sick of my Puritan ancestors being ridiculed like a bunch of medieval inquistors because you people can't get your facts straight!
:-\\

they were also dunked in freezing cold water if Im correct. 

Written By: danootaandme on 11/03/05 at 7:34 am

And had large rocks placed on them one at a time until the couldn't breath

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/05 at 1:42 pm

And had large rocks placed on them one at a time until the couldn't breath

Giles somebody (or was it something Giles-can't remember and too lazy to look it up). And his last words were "More weight"

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 11/03/05 at 1:46 pm

The weirdest part of all was that none of them were actually practicioners of any kind of witchcraft or deviltry. They were all upstanding citizens, with too many jealous neighbours.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/03/05 at 3:32 pm

Giles somebody (or was it something Giles-can't remember and too lazy to look it up). And his last words were "More weight"

Cat

it was Giles Corey in "The Crucible", and I think that was a name taken from history. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/05 at 3:38 pm

it was Giles Corey in "The Crucible", and I think that was a name taken from history. 

Yeah, that was the dude's name.  And yes it was a name taken from history. In fact, most (if not all) of the names in "The Crucible" were "real" people in Salem back in 1692.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/03/05 at 4:24 pm

Mary Beth Norton's recent book on Salem is excellent, and presents the episode in a whole new light.  All of the accusers had fronteer experiences with indians and the French, and witnessed atrocities, so probably suffering from post tramatic syndrom.  Most of the book, though, is written almost as a journal from the point of view of the participants, but set in a context broader than just Salem.  Boyer and Neisenbaum's Salem Bewitched is also interesting.  Hangings, one crushing (Giles Cory) no burnings, no immesions.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/03/05 at 4:28 pm

Let's be mindful there are people who do not celebrate Halloween. They shouldn't be ridiculed. Everyone doesn't celebrate Christmas or other holidays as well.

I take my son trick or treating, but that's the extent that I consider the day.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/03/05 at 4:36 pm

Yeah, that was the dude's name.  And yes it was a name taken from history. In fact, most (if not all) of the names in "The Crucible" were "real" people in Salem back in 1692.

Cat

For those adverse to reading there is a video with Vanessa Redgrave called "Three Sovereigns for Sarah" that gives a great treatment of the real issues involved in the witch trials.  Ignorance and greed, as ever and always.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/04/05 at 12:49 am

TALKING POINTS
The Jedidiah Stoddard Factor
November 4, 1693

Look, you got some broad made a pact with the devil, we're not gonna be able to save her soul without a little coercion.  Some cold water never hurt anybody...OK, well maybe a little, but look, we only hurt these witches a lot more by letting the go burn in hell for eternity.  So what's worse, huh?  An icy dip today, or searing flamest tomorrow, the next day, and for eternity!
And that pressing under stones technique was working just fine until the NECLU started this nonsense about how, "Oh, they'll say anything if their ribs are cracking under boulders!"  OK, a few of them died too, but we got to save their souls for the most part.  Would you rather get crushed and go to heaven, or live a life of sorcery and go burn in hell forever, just because some soft-on-witchcraft liberals said it's none of our business what individual people want to believe!

Written By: karen on 11/04/05 at 6:40 am

Let's be mindful there are people who do not celebrate Halloween. They shouldn't be ridiculed. Everyone doesn't celebrate Christmas or other holidays as well.

I know that other people don't celebrate the day but is it offensive to them when we do?  Does it actually hurt their feelings knowing that some people are celebrating a religous festival (such as Christmas) at a time when they are not celebrating?

Written By: Dagwood on 11/05/05 at 12:44 pm

I know that other people don't celebrate the day but is it offensive to them when we do?  Does it actually hurt their feelings knowing that some people are celebrating a religous festival (such as Christmas) at a time when they are not celebrating?

The majority of the people that don't celebrate the holiday don't get offended when others do.  It is just the loud obnoxious ones who get the publicity.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/17/05 at 12:05 pm

TALKING POINTS
The Jedidiah Stoddard Factor
November 4, 1693

Look, you got some broad made a pact with the devil, we're not gonna be able to save her soul without a little coercion.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/18/05 at 12:47 pm

Yeah, and cats were persecuted too. Because some servant mamed Tituba saw a 'devil' that looked like a 'roaring red cat'! Yeah right. A cat like my Tika has evil powers...NOT!!!

I used to have a cat that knew all the secrets of the Universe but he didn't tell anyone.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/05 at 12:52 pm

I used to have a cat that knew all the secrets of the Universe but he didn't tell anyone.

Cat

He remembered what happened to the last cat who went spouting off about the secrets of the universe!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...