» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Denver Votes to Legalise Marijuana Possession

Written By: McDonald on 11/03/05 at 1:44 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051103/ts_usatoday/denvervotestolegalizemarijuanapossession

Pretty cool, eh? I did not know that any state had decriminalised possession to something akin to a traffic ticket. That's a step in the right direction. Now if only we could do that at the federal level...

Subject: Re: Denver Votes to Legalise Marijuana Possession

Written By: Mushroom on 11/03/05 at 5:15 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051103/ts_usatoday/denvervotestolegalizemarijuanapossession

Pretty cool, eh? I did not know that any state had decriminalised possession to something akin to a traffic ticket. That's a step in the right direction. Now if only we could do that at the federal level...

California did that about 20 years ago.  And Alaska also has a similar law.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/03/05 at 5:24 pm

There is an initiative in Vermont, which both Cat and I support, to legalize the use of the "nefarious weed".  Hope it passes.  Its a really pretty plant, with lots of medicinal qualities.  This version of prohibition is just stupid.

Written By: McDonald on 11/03/05 at 9:34 pm

California did that about 20 years ago.  And Alaska also has a similar law.

There might just be something in that whole state's rights thing.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/04/05 at 12:21 am

It's a good idea.  Busting people for simple possession of pot is a waste of law enforcement resources.
:)

Written By: Hairspray on 11/04/05 at 5:09 am

Everybody sing!

Afterall it'a step in the right direction.
It's a step in the right direction after all.
Afterall it'a step in the right direction.
It's a step in the right direction after all.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/04/05 at 12:41 pm

I support states' rights, but you got to see how useless and hallow this "victory" is.

First, the state police and even the city of Denver police have said they will continue to arrest people who have marijuana.  Why?  Because of Colorado's law.  City laws cannot trump state laws, and state laws cannot trump federal laws.

Alaska used to be more liberal with their marijuana laws, until the federal government came in and starting kicking doors down.

Written By: McDonald on 11/04/05 at 12:46 pm

I support states' rights, but you got to see how useless and hallow this "victory" is.

First, the state police and even the city of Denver police have said they will continue to arrest people who have marijuana?  Why?  Because of Colorado's law.  City laws cannot trump state laws, and state laws cannot trump federal laws.

Alaska used to be more liberal with their marijuana laws, until the federal government came in and starting kicking doors down.

Still, if the state decided to decriminalise, neither the state nor the city nor the county police forces would be have the authority to arrest someone for simple marijuana possession. There really isn't such a thing as a federal police force, except the FBI... but they're going after the big fish, not the little guy who's just got a blunt in his coat pocket.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/04/05 at 4:52 pm

Prohibition didn't work, and contributed to organized crime.  This prohibition isn't working either.  Decriminalize drugs, stop waisting resources trying to stop them.  Sell pot at drug stores to 21 and over, like booze.

Written By: ADH13 on 11/05/05 at 12:29 pm

Prohibition didn't work, and contributed to organized crime.  This prohibition isn't working either.  Decriminalize drugs, stop waisting resources trying to stop them.  Sell pot at drug stores to 21 and over, like booze.

I agree.  From what I have seen, pot (unlike many other drugs) does not cause violence, doesn't cause people to be compulsive liars, thieves, etc.  Sure, pot may be bad for people in some way, but so are many other things like cigarettes, junk food, alcholol and coffee.  It also seems to have helped those in severe pain.  I don't quite see why it's illegal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/05 at 5:33 pm

I agree.   From what I have seen, pot (unlike many other drugs) does not cause violence, doesn't cause people to be compulsive liars, thieves, etc.   Sure, pot may be bad for people in some way, but so are many other things like cigarettes, junk food, alcholol and coffee.   It also seems to have helped those in severe pain.  I don't quite see why it's illegal.

Because, like I said, it's a huge welfare program for law enforcement and the prison industry.  Ain't it funny how these "states rights" Republicans don't include drug laws as a "states rights" issue, especially when the federalization of drug policy goes back to the Harrison Narcotics Act, and was tax collecting scheme!

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/07/05 at 4:25 pm

I agree.  From what I have seen, pot (unlike many other drugs) does not cause violence, doesn't cause people to be compulsive liars, thieves, etc.  Sure, pot may be bad for people in some way, but so are many other things like cigarettes, junk food, alcholol and coffee.  It also seems to have helped those in severe pain.  I don't quite see why it's illegal.

Well, in the old days, when I broke the law and did that stuff (statute of limitation and jurestiction allow for this) pot made me horny as hell and very, shall we say, oral (and I don't mean hungray for chips), so violent?  No way..  Bad for my lungs?  Sure, but I still smoke (legal) butts.  And why steal what you can grow (I once was growing a pot plant in my livingroom.  My mother admired it and asked me what it was.  "Don't know, Mom, it was given to me".  Dad winked).  Liars?  To this day I admit that I have indulged in the nefarious weed, but caution my college students that "it's against the law, and you shouldn't do it".

Pot should be at the very least deciminalized, and should be made legal.  My guess is that the booze lobby is the strongest against it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...