» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Las Vegas Mayor Goodman: old school law enforcement!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/05 at 1:25 am

Sorry if somebody else already posted a thread on this.  I might have missed it.  Anyway...

Oscar Goodman, the mayor of Las Vegas, fed up with little punks defacing ("tagging") city murals has proposed severing the thumbs of graffiti taggers.  That's right, thenar amputation, just cut 'em right off---on television!
:o :o :o

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5390726,00.html

Aside from Mr. Mayor's conflict with the Eigth Amendment to the Constitution, do you think this kind medieval punishment would work?  If every greasy little punk with spraypaint can knew he'd lose his thumbs if he got busted, would you see a decline in graffiti in Las Vegas?
On a side note, would the city government be obliged to provide these thubless citizens with compensatory income or find them jobs that do not require thumbs?
??? :D ???

Subject: Re: Las Vegas Mayor Goodman: old school law enforcement!

Written By: McDonald on 11/07/05 at 2:16 am

I have trouble believing that he could possibly be serious about this... Whatever happened to political suicide?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/05 at 2:45 am

But he said he was "dead serious" about it!  So perhaps therein lies your "political suicide."

I don't know, suppose the thumb-severing does work?  Then what?  The mayor adopts a similar policy to rid the city of the scourge of johns cruising the strip for the ladies of the night!

You know, they don't spray graffiti or pick up hookers in Riyadh, but on the other hand...oh, sorry, there is no other hand!
:-\\

Written By: Harmonica on 11/07/05 at 11:51 am

works in other countries, wouldn't work here.

Written By: McDonald on 11/07/05 at 12:23 pm

I don't think it would matter.....heck, some kids might line up to have their thumbs cut off just so they could a) sue the city or b) collect disability for the rest of their lives.  Heck, if the thought of spending some time in a jail cell with a big, burly guy named "Bubba" who is going to be your "master" doesn't scare them, you think losing a digit would?  ::)

Why should they serve jail time for graffitti? It isn't a serious crime. They should have to pay for it monetarily and/or perhaps in community service, but not by going into jail, where they're more likely to come out as harder criminals than they were when they went in. I'm definitely for the community service route. Save jail for murderers, rapists, and Martha Stewart  ;).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/05 at 12:24 pm

I don't think it would matter.....heck, some kids might line up to have their thumbs cut off just so they could a) sue the city or b) collect disability for the rest of their lives.  Heck, if the thought of spending some time in a jail cell with a big, burly guy named "Bubba" who is going to be your "master" doesn't scare them, you think losing a digit would?  ::)

I don't think anyone would get his thumbs severed just to collect disability.  But then I could be wrong.  After all, I didn't know about all those welfare recipients driving luxury SUVs with bling-bling rims either, so...
:D

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/07/05 at 10:26 pm

it may act as a deterent...but probably not well, because no one will take it serriously as its so outragous.  Yet, all he needs is to do it to one person...

Written By: McDonald on 11/07/05 at 10:29 pm

There's no possible way he could get away with doing it even to one person. Even if theoretically some government individual could do that, it wouldn't be a city mayor. They don't have that kind of muscle.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/07/05 at 10:36 pm

There's no possible way he could get away with doing it even to one person. Even if theoretically some government individual could do that, it wouldn't be a city mayor. They don't have that kind of muscle.

yeah, thats very true.  It could be a show though.  I can see that working. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/07/05 at 11:31 pm

Of course the whole thing is absurd.  I was just wondering how far people would go to make law enforcement effect and what kind of liberties one would be willing to trade.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/08/05 at 2:22 pm

I don't know about that. Being the mayor of Las Vegas, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he's rubbed elbows with a few shady characters who would have no qualms whatsoever about cutting someone's thumb off.

Written By: STAR70 on 11/08/05 at 5:16 pm

It sounds as if he's running for mayor of theran

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/05 at 7:18 pm

It sounds as if he's running for mayor of theran

theran has a higher literacy rate and a lower electricity bill!
;D

Written By: saver on 11/14/05 at 5:06 pm

GOOD FOR HIM!

I also recommend instead of the thumbs being cut off(as the low lifes will need them to hitchhike out of town,
CUT OFF THEIR,..... OH SOOOO CUTE,..... MIDDLE FINGERS...but if they did that, the ACLU would sue them for taking away their freedom of speech! :D :D :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/14/05 at 9:55 pm

GOOD FOR HIM!

I also recommend instead of the thumbs being cut off(as the low lifes will need them to hitchhike out of town,
CUT OFF THEIR,..... OH SOOOO CUTE,..... MIDDLE FINGERS...but if they did that, the ACLU would sue them for taking away their freedom of speech! :D :D :D

Haw haw haw, that's very funny...almost.

Written By: saver on 11/14/05 at 10:21 pm

Haw haw haw, that's very funny...almost.

Would you really put it past them not to get involved? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...