» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Election 2005

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/07/05 at 12:50 pm

Ah yes.  It's almost that time again, the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, also known as election day.  We have mayor races, governor races and ballot referendums.  While no house or senate seats are up for election, this could be very interesting.

Let's start with the two governor's races.

First one is in Virginia.  The race is between republican Jerry Kilgore and democrat Tim Kaine.  Some polls have Kilgore ahead, some have Kaine ahead.  Here is a candidate comparison from Kilgore's website.

Next one is in New Jersey.  The race is between republican Doug Forrester and democratic senator Jon Corzine  The polls all have Corzine ahead, but vary greatly between an 11 point lead and a 2 point lead.

Also we have mayor's races in many major cities including: New York, Boston and Atlanta.  I'm not going to get into all of them.

Finally California has many propositions, 73-80, along with a handgun referendum in San Francisco.  Here are the propositions up for a vote by the people this coming Tuesday:

Prop. 73: Would change the State Constitution to ban abortions for unmarried girls under 18 until 48 hours after a parent or legal guardian was notified. A judge could bypass this notification requirement if it was in the girl’s best interest. Doctors must send the state records about abortions performed on minors.

Prop. 74: Would increase the length of time required for a teacher to become a permanent employee. It would take 5 consecutive school years, instead of the current two years.

Prop. 75: Would prevent government employee unions from using a member’s dues for political campaigns unless they have written agreement from that employee.

Prop. 76: Would change the State Constitution to limit state government spending to last year’s spending plus a 3-year average of state income growth.

Prop. 77: would change the State Constitution’s rules about how political districts for state and federal lawmakers are created. These districts define the area and people a lawmaker represents. A panel of retired judges would create the districts instead of the Legislature. New district lines would be set right after this passes and then after each 10-year census.

Prop. 78: Californians with low and mid-level incomes (up to $29,000 for an individual or $58,000 for a family of four) could buy prescription drugs at reduced prices. Drug company participation in the program is voluntary.

Prop. 79: Californians with low and mid-level incomes (up to $38,000 for an individual or $77,000 for a family of four) could buy prescription drugs at reduced prices. Prescription drugs by companies who do not offer discounts could be barred from the State’s Medi-Cal program.

Prop. 80: Prop 80 would give the state’s Public Utilities Commission more control over California’s electricity providers. It would keep customers from switching from major utilities to other providers. All electric sellers under PUC control would be required to use more renewable energy resources, with a goal of 20% by 2010 (instead of by 2017).

Link

Finally the city of San Francisco, California has a ballot referendum to ban all handguns within the city.  This would be the first city to do this in the United States of America.  No real polls have been released on this, but common wisdom is that it will pass because of San Francisco's far left politics.  Read more about this referendum in The San Francisco Chronicle here.

It seems certain to be ruled unconstitutional if it passed, even the mayor of San Francisco seems to think that it is unconstitutional:

"It clearly will be thrown out," said San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom on Friday, adding that he planned to vote for the measure anyway to show his opposition to the proliferation of handguns. "It's so overtly pre-empted. I'm having a difficult time with it, and that's my one caveat. ... It's really a public opinion poll at the end of the day.''

I love election day.

Subject: Re: Election 2005

Written By: McDonald on 11/07/05 at 12:59 pm

In Texas we're voting on the gay marriage issue. We'll see what happens. A lot of people, I can already forsee, will be voting "NO" because they think that means they're voting against gay marriage, when they're actually voting against the bill to ban gay marriage.

I'll be voting against the proposition.

Written By: Tia on 11/07/05 at 1:33 pm

virginia: don't forget potts, the independent guy! he's usually a republican but apparently is breaking from the whole new republican direction. i sorta like him, but i'll probably vote for kaine. i dunno, i'm sorta torn.

they had a thing on kaine in the post the other day and it was totally like the playboy playmate questionnaire. what's his favorite color? what's the most embarrassing thing he's ever done? lol. he got lots of points with me because his favorite song is the beatles' "fixing a hole," which i think is totally underrated.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/07/05 at 1:45 pm

virginia: don't forget potts, the independent guy!

I thought about it, but he is polling under five percent.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/07/05 at 3:37 pm

In Texas we're voting on the gay marriage issue. We'll see what happens. A lot of people, I can already forsee, will be voting "NO" because they think that means they're voting against gay marriage, when they're actually voting against the bill to ban gay marriage.

I'll be voting against the proposition.

So how did the "traditional Marriage" folks and homophobes stand for the wording?  Sounds like a big OOOPS to me.

Written By: McDonald on 11/07/05 at 3:48 pm

So how did the "traditional Marriage" folks and homophobes stand for the wording?  Sounds like a big OOOPS to me.

It's not the wording. It's just that this proposed ammendment must be voted either for or against... the ammendment, not the issue of gay marriage. If you're for gay marriage, you're against the ammendment which attempts to ban it.

Written By: nally on 11/07/05 at 3:53 pm

Ah yes... being in California, I know very well about the "special election" that Awnnold is wasting our money on. I'm voting no on all eight of his propositions. I was thinking of voting yes on 78 (since the ads supporting that one say that doctors decide which medicines are appropriate, and 79 says that bureaucrats have the authority on that), but I think the Governator is in favor of that one too. ::)

Written By: McDonald on 11/07/05 at 4:00 pm

I'm voting "no" on all of the proposed ammendments to the Texas constitution. They're all pro-business and anti-little guy, except the second one which is just fascist bigotry (the one banning gay marriage).

Written By: Tia on 11/07/05 at 4:15 pm

people who want to tell me who i can marry suck.  >:(

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/07/05 at 5:39 pm

Ah yes... being in California, I know very well about the "special election" that Awnnold is wasting our money on. I'm voting no on all eight of his propositions.

I don't even live in California and I know this isn't true.  Schwarzenegger's "reform agenda plan" only includes props. 74-77.  Schwarzenegger has nothing to do with props. 73 and 78-80.

Written By: nally on 11/07/05 at 5:44 pm

I don't even live in California and I know this isn't true. Schwarzenegger's "reform agenda plan" only includes props. 74-77. Schwarzenegger has nothing to do with props. 73 and 78-80.

You're right. I know he's in favor of props 74-77; the other four, I thought he had some view on. But I have seen some strong tv ads opposing 73. As for 78-79, I've been determined to vote no on the latter since I first heard a tv ad against it.

Perhaps what I meant to say was, I'm voting no on all eight of the propositions, especially the four that are part of Awnnold's "reform plan".

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/07/05 at 7:00 pm

You're right. I know he's in favor of props 74-77; the other four, I thought he had some view on. But I have seen some strong tv ads opposing 73. As for 78-79, I've been determined to vote no on the latter since I first heard a tv ad against it.

Perhaps what I meant to say was, I'm voting no on all eight of the propositions, especially the four that are part of Awnnold's "reform plan".

I'm doing the same, especially with 74 b/c it affects me professionally.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/08/05 at 8:15 am

I just watched the report about the elections today on CNN headline news.  Basically Kilgore-Kaine is a tossup, Forrester-Corzine is leaning Corzine but the trend over the past few weeks favors Forrester and republican Bloomburg has nearly a 30 point lead in the New York City mayor's race.

Prop. 73 will pass, prop. 74 is a tossup, and props. 75, 76 and 77 will fail.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/08/05 at 12:09 pm

I just watched the report about the elections today on CNN headline news.  Basically Kilgore-Kaine is a tossup, Forrester-Corzine is leaning Corzine but the trend over the past few weeks favors Forrester and republican Bloomburg has nearly a 30 point lead in the New York City mayor's race.

Prop. 73 will pass, prop. 74 is a tossup, and props. 75, 76 and 77 will fail.

74 will fail as well. It's 77 that may be a tossup. Prop. 73 is likely to pass.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/08/05 at 9:04 pm

It looks about over.  Gay marriage ban passes in Texas, Corzine going to win in New Jersey, Kaine going to win in Virginia and Bloomburg is going to win in New York.  Nothing yet on the California ballot measures.

The only thing I don't get is Virginia elected a republican for Attorney General (AG) and a republican for Lt. Governor, but went democrat for governor.  Strange.

Also it looks like George Soros and "Reform Ohio Now" and their ballot measures failed.

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/Results/RaceSummary.aspx

Written By: Tia on 11/08/05 at 11:16 pm

It looks about over.  Gay marriage ban passes in Texas, Corzine going to win in New Jersey, Kaine going to win in Virginia and Bloomburg is going to win in New York.  Can't find anything about Ohio or California's ballot measures.

The only thing I don't get is Virginia elected a republican for Attorney General (AG) and a republican for Lt. Governor, but went democrat for governor.  Strange.

Also it looks like George Soros and "Reform Ohio Now" and their ballot measures failed.

http://www.sos.state.oh.us/Results/RaceSummary.aspx

at the last minute i voted for the independent for gov and the demos for lieutenant gov and ag so i bet that happened with a bunch of republicans -- the indy was an ex-repub so i bet there were more cross-over votes for him from the right and they probably voted for the repub for lieut. gov and ag. which would provide the results you're talking about.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/08/05 at 11:35 pm

I figure that the reason is 75% of Virginia residents support the death penalty, so they elect republican AGs, who are more likely to persue the death penalty.

7.2% of the votes counted in California.  Props. 73, 74 and 75 are passing (especially 75.)  76-80 are failing.

http://www.sacbee.com/cgi-bin/elections/elections2005.cgi

Written By: Tia on 11/09/05 at 8:43 am

I figure that the reason is 75% of Virginia residents support the death penalty, so they elect republican AGs, who are more likely to persue the death penalty.

7.2% of the votes counted in California.  Props. 73, 74 and 75 are passing (especially 75.)  76-80 are failing.

well, they do support the death penalty, but it's not a high priority. at least i think that's what the polls are showing. that was kilgore's miscalculation with his death penalty ads. and it wouldn't explain the lieutenant governor thing. i dunno, a lot of demos are seeing this as a referendum on GW and republican rule and i think without potts the election would actually have been a dead heat. not that this referendum isn't coming down the pike, necessarily, but right now the ball is sitting there but the demos haven't picked it up yet. they need to come up with some long-term vision because right now people (myself included) aren't that much more impressed with them than they are with the repubs. imo.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/09/05 at 12:15 pm

I called it!

All the Props failed!!!!!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/09/05 at 12:40 pm

It looks about over.  Gay marriage ban passes in Texas, Corzine going to win in New Jersey, Kaine going to win in Virginia and Bloomburg is going to win in New York.  Nothing yet on the California ballot measures.

Not so strange at all.  Bush went out to support Kilgore on the eve of the election, stood side by side with him.  It was a good test for all the Republicans running next year to see if Bush is going to hurt or help their re-election bids.  Polling up until the last day showed them running neck and neck.  Kilgore loses the day after GW's arrival by about 8%.  Yeah, real mystery there.

Written By: Tia on 11/09/05 at 1:31 pm

Not so strange at all.  Bush went out to support Kilgore on the eve of the election, stood side by side with him.  It was a good test for all the Republicans running next year to see if Bush is going to hurt or help their re-election bids.  Polling up until the last day showed them running neck and neck.  Kilgore loses the day after GW's arrival by about 8%.  Yeah, real mystery there.

haha. i'd be lying if i didn't say i found that part a bit gratifying. but there's still a whole year before the 2006 shakedown! the demos need to get hot if they want to seize this moment. there was a great column by, i think it was e.j. dionne a couple days ago, about the need for the demos to get a message, a focus. i think it would be easy in this current environment where there's no one to go but up but that's what they need, a message. something to rally around other than Anybody But Bush.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/09/05 at 2:17 pm

haha. i'd be lying if i didn't say i found that part a bit gratifying. but there's still a whole year before the 2006 shakedown! the demos need to get hot if they want to seize this moment. there was a great column by, i think it was e.j. dionne a couple days ago, about the need for the demos to get a message, a focus. i think it would be easy in this current environment where there's no one to go but up but that's what they need, a message. something to rally around other than Anybody But Bush.

"Anyone But Bush" was a pretty bad rallying call last year, and the biggest mistake the Democrats could have made.  Most people don't follow the news closely enough to see the huge disaster the Bush adminstration was becoming.  You have to make a case as to why you should be elected, not just point out the huge number of mistakes your opponent had made.  The approval ratings show that people know that now, too bad it wasn't clearer for people last year.

The biggest problem is the Democrats aren't united.  Each one of them has their own views, and represents their districts instead of some national party.  While that's great for winning small elections, it doesn't scale up in national elections where the major news networks are looking for sound bites.  While I would prefer my elected officials represent my region, there should still be a small set of core beliefs the party can agree on. 

You want funny, watch the Bush backers as they flee from his ship.  J.D. Hayworth, a total gun-nut loving, bible beating wing nut from Arizona, when asked on the Imus show if he would like Bush to appear in his re-election TV commercials next year, said straight up that he doesn't want that.  Pretty bad when even your core supporters want distance from you.

Written By: Tia on 11/09/05 at 2:41 pm

"Anyone But Bush" was a pretty bad rallying call last year, and the biggest mistake the Democrats could have made.  Most people don't follow the news closely enough to see the huge disaster the Bush adminstration was becoming.  You have to make a case as to why you should be elected, not just point out the huge number of mistakes your opponent had made.  The approval ratings show that people know that now, too bad it wasn't clearer for people last year.

The biggest problem is the Democrats aren't united.  Each one of them has their own views, and represents their districts instead of some national party.  While that's great for winning small elections, it doesn't scale up in national elections where the major news networks are looking for sound bites.  While I would prefer my elected officials represent my region, there should still be a small set of core beliefs the party can agree on. 

You want funny, watch the Bush backers as they flee from his ship.  J.D. Hayworth, a total gun-nut loving, bible beating wing nut from Arizona, when asked on the Imus show if he would like Bush to appear in his re-election TV commercials next year, said straight up that he doesn't want that.  Pretty bad when even your core supporters want distance from you.

i agree 110%! i'll be interested to see what the demos come up with, if anything. i'm guardedly encouraged that i think there are significant voices in the demo party who are calling for them to come up with something more than ABB, and i think howard dean had a start toward it -- although he might have been too far left, yes. i agreed with his platform but then again i liked kucinich too. realistically speaking being far left is probably not going to work even if i wish it could. mark warner looks good, the departing governor here in virginia, as does what's his face, joe biden. i'm really digging him, but i don't know if he's going to run.

anyway, whoever they pick, they're gonna need to come up with a platform, a real vision for the future. when they've got an idea i'm ready to hear it but in lieu of that i'm gonna keep voting independent... i just worry that it's still gonna take the demos a while to kick the habit of coming up with their platform via committee...

funny thing, the republicans seem to have come to the conclusion that bush isn't governing far enough to the right. and if so, they're getting ready to fall on their own sword, BIG time.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/09/05 at 2:59 pm

Kilgore loses the day after GW's arrival by about 8%.  Yeah, real mystery there.

Kilgore lost by a little over 5% last I looked.

The thing is Kilgore went into a complete downward spiral ever since he ran the "Tim Kaine wouldn't execute Adolf Hiter" ads with the nazi war prisoner survivor.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/09/05 at 3:33 pm

Kilgore lost by a little over 5% last I looked.

The thing is Kilgore went into a complete downward spiral ever since he ran the "Tim Kaine wouldn't execute Adolf Hiter" ads with the nazi war prisoner survivor.

5% or 8%, it's still more than the 3%, which is enough for GW to consider a "mandate".  In a red state no less.

Yes, the ads helped do him in.  Also helps to disprove the opinion the people of the state voted for a Republican AG because they support the death penalty.  If they did, that Godwin action by Kilgore would have gone un-noticed or had a more positive response.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/09/05 at 3:34 pm

i agree 110%! i'll be interested to see what the demos come up with, if anything. i'm guardedly encouraged that i think there are significant voices in the demo party who are calling for them to come up with something more than ABB, and i think howard dean had a start toward it -- although he might have been too far left, yes. i agreed with his platform but then again i liked kucinich too. realistically speaking being far left is probably not going to work even if i wish it could. mark warner looks good, the departing governor here in virginia, as does what's his face, joe biden. i'm really digging him, but i don't know if he's going to run.

anyway, whoever they pick, they're gonna need to come up with a platform, a real vision for the future. when they've got an idea i'm ready to hear it but in lieu of that i'm gonna keep voting independent... i just worry that it's still gonna take the demos a while to kick the habit of coming up with their platform via committee...

funny thing, the republicans seem to have come to the conclusion that bush isn't governing far enough to the right. and if so, they're getting ready to fall on their own sword, BIG time.

I agree that the Dems need a solid platform, but I think its childs play.

1. Iraq is a disaster.  We can't win, and we can't lose.  Appeal to the UN, admit to (Bush's) the big mistake and ask that the UN take charge, with whatever help it needs from us.

2. End to cronyism.  Especially at Homeland Security.  Secure the ports, mass transit etc.  Investigate and prosecute insider dealing, "ethics" lapses and corruption during this admin.

3. Alter the Energy Bill.  No Alaska drilling, no subsidies for oil companies (transfer the $$$ to alternate energy research).  Demand higher milage from Detroit.

4. Save Social Security.  Eliminate the cap on FICA. 

5. National Health Care.  Publicize Paul Krugman's recent op/ed piece and propose a single payer system.

Then hammer, hammer, hammer with a populist candidate.

Written By: nally on 11/09/05 at 3:48 pm

I called it!

All the Props failed!!!!!!
:D
And 100% of the precincts are reporting, on last check!! So all eight of them have gone down the tubes...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/09/05 at 4:16 pm

Also helps to disprove the opinion the people of the state voted for a Republican AG because they support the death penalty.  If they did, that Godwin action by Kilgore would have gone un-noticed or had a more positive response.

Doesn't disprove anything.  A rasmussen poll showed a solid majority liked Kilgore's position on the death penalty better.  And Kaine said he would enforce the death penalty.  In a state where three out of four people support the death penalty, Kilgore was able to get a solid majority even though both candidates would enforce the death penalty.

There is a difference between supporting the death penalty and pulling out Hitler.  Even if what was said, "Kaine wouldn't support the death penalty for Hitler," was true.

Written By: Tia on 11/09/05 at 4:17 pm

I agree that the Dems need a solid platform, but I think its childs play.

1. Iraq is a disaster. 
2. End to cronyism. 
3. Alter the Energy Bill.  No Alaska drilling, no subsidies for oil companies (transfer the $$$ to alternate energy research).  Demand higher milage from Detroit.
4. Save Social Security.  Eliminate the cap on FICA. 
5. National Health Care.  Publicize Paul Krugman's recent op/ed piece and propose a single payer system.
Then hammer, hammer, hammer with a populist candidate.

i agree it's child's play, and i agree that all of these things are good suggestions, but look at how many of them are negative -- end the iraq war, end the cronyism, end alaska drilling... the only thing that's proactive is the national health care system, and the only history with that is hilcare, which went down in flames.

what's the new new deal? know what i mean? what's the new great society? what's the positive vision that's spelled out in the contours of this negation of the republican party platform? i think it's there, it's just a matter of putting it in words. i can't do it, i'm not sure what it is, but i think it's there, on the tip of the tongue, yes?

renewable energies are going to be a big part of it, and yes, health care as a basic human right, and putting an end to cronyism in favor of collective and community effort, but what's the umbrella under which all of that fits?

Written By: Tia on 11/09/05 at 4:21 pm

Doesn't disprove anything.  A rasmussen poll showed a solid majority liked Kilgore's position on the death penalty better.  And Kaine said he would enforce the death penalty.  In a state where three out of four people support the death penalty, Kilgore was able to get a solid majority even though both candidates would enforce the death penalty.

There is a difference between supporting the death penalty and pulling out Hitler.  Even if what was said, "Kaine wouldn't support the death penalty for Hitler," was true.

honestly, i think:

a. the death penalty is widely supported here in virginia, but the support is shallow. a lot of other issues are more foregrounded in people's minds, and

b. kaine did a good job of turning the DP issue around by saying he opposed the DP by matter of his catholic faith. after that it looked like kilgore was haranguing him because of his beliefs. i don't mean to sound cynical, i don't necessarily think this was a calculated move on kaine's part, but it worked like a dream.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/05 at 4:48 pm

What it all boils down to is the Republicans didn't find any of the 2005 elections important enough to steal.  Wait unitl next year, the electoral kleptomania will be back!

I say it's time to make J.D. Hayworth the next prez, with Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins as his advisors.  Get it over with!  Better to go out with a bang than a whimper, says I!
:D

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/05 at 9:29 am

it was "true"?  even when Kaine said that because the death penalty was law he would enforce it?  I guess the neocon Republicans are the only ones who believe it was "true". 

As for the poll, a site that shows Bush 10-15 points higher than everyone else, probably not the most reliable source of information.  Looks like the kind of place the New Republican or Newsmax uses for their propoganda"information".  No muscle bound "floor-humper" ads though.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/10/05 at 2:19 pm

it was "true"?  even when Kaine said that because the death penalty was law he would enforce it?  I guess the neocon Republicans are the only ones who believe it was "true". 

As for the poll, a site that shows Bush 10-15 points higher than everyone else, probably not the most reliable source of information.  Looks like the kind of place the New Republican or Newsmax uses for their propoganda"information".  No muscle bound "floor-humper" ads though.

Shows Bush 10-15 points higher?  Where do you see that?  Rasmussen was the only one who got the 2004 election results correct and he predicted, through his poll, that Kaine would win.

And it was true because Kaine said it was.  When asked by some newspaper if he would support the death penalty for Hitler, his response was something like "my Catholic faith forbids me from supporting the death penalty."  If there was no law in Virginia allowing for the death penalty, he wouldn't push for it.  He took a position of moderate because if he said something like "the death penalty is bad and I'll do everything in my power to get rid of it," he'd get laughed out of Virginia.

What it all boils down to is the Republicans didn't find any of the 2005 elections important enough to steal.  Wait unitl next year, the electoral kleptomania will be back!

Oh I forgot.  If democrats win, it's fair.  If republicans win, it's stolen.  Right?  No republican can ever win fairly, even in Utah, right?

What about the "reform Ohio now" issues in Ohio?  Issues 2-5, funded by George Soros.  They all failed in the high 60's and low 70's.  And the democrats at DU are blaming Diebold and J. Kenneth Blackwell.  Were they stolen?

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/10/05 at 2:49 pm

i agree it's child's play, and i agree that all of these things are good suggestions, but look at how many of them are negative -- end the iraq war, end the cronyism, end alaska drilling... the only thing that's proactive is the national health care system, and the only history with that is hilcare, which went down in flames.

what's the new new deal? know what i mean? what's the new great society? what's the positive vision that's spelled out in the contours of this negation of the republican party platform? i think it's there, it's just a matter of putting it in words. i can't do it, i'm not sure what it is, but i think it's there, on the tip of the tongue, yes?

renewable energies are going to be a big part of it, and yes, health care as a basic human right, and putting an end to cronyism in favor of collective and community effort, but what's the umbrella under which all of that fits?

Good point!

The umbrella is "a rebirth of freedom, a rediscovery of justice".  So:

Give us the Oval office and we will

1. We will stabalize the Middle East with the cooperation of the UN AND bring the troops home.  We will not pursue futile military adventures or put your sons and daughters in harms way for some Quijotic nonsense.

2. We will appoint experienced, knowledgable people to high office, and we will not tolerate lapses in public morality or ethics.

3. We will pass an energy bill that moves us toward self sufficiency and we will invest in developing alternate technologies.

4. We will eliminate the cap on FICA so that every American pays his/her fair share into our Social Security system.

5. We will establish the right of every American to primary health care (including neonatal and post partum care) and to all life sustaining medical procedures regardless of ability to pay.  We will adhere to the Hippocratic oath.

How's that (I'm not being sarcastic here, I value your comments on this, and many other topics)?

Written By: McDonald on 11/10/05 at 6:28 pm

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/state/20051108-2141-ca-eln-prescriptiondrugs.html

Well, Prop. 79 failed in California thanks to the $80 million dollars the drug companies invested in ad campaigns against it. Once again, citizens have been duped into voting against their best interests.

You can read about the lies in these ads on factcheck.org, if you're interested.

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 6:32 pm

Good point!

The umbrella is "a rebirth of freedom, a rediscovery of justice".  So:

Give us the Oval office and we will

1. We will stabalize the Middle East with the cooperation of the UN AND bring the troops home.  We will not pursue futile military adventures or put your sons and daughters in harms way for some Quijotic nonsense.

2. We will appoint experienced, knowledgable people to high office, and we will not tolerate lapses in public morality or ethics.

3. We will pass an energy bill that moves us toward self sufficiency and we will invest in developing alternate technologies.

4. We will eliminate the cap on FICA so that every American pays his/her fair share into our Social Security system.

5. We will establish the right of every American to primary health care (including neonatal and post partum care) and to all life sustaining medical procedures regardless of ability to pay.  We will adhere to the Hippocratic oath.

How's that (I'm not being sarcastic here, I value your comments on this, and many other topics)?

I think this sounds super! I just hope the demos do something like this, and get off their republican lite strategy. Because I wanna vote dem, but they don't necessarily make it very easy...

And thanks. I like your posts also.

Written By: Meghan88 on 11/10/05 at 6:37 pm

I Love how the democrats are comin back  :)

Can't wait for the Elections in 2006.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/05 at 6:43 pm

You know what turned me off?  Chuckie Schummer talking all smug about the results of the election.  It does not Auguer well for the senior senator from NY.  I just have this vision of Schummer getting nailed next time around and looking stupified just like Tom Daschle!
Ain't no time for victory speeches Dems.  You need to spend every last drop of energy into gearing up for 2006.  Bush may be unpopular, but that doesn't mean the GOP won fudge more elections, it doesn't mean you won't get your heads handed it to you all over again!
::) :o

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/10/05 at 7:01 pm

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/state/20051108-2141-ca-eln-prescriptiondrugs.html

Well, Prop. 79 failed in California thanks to the $80 million dollars the drug companies invested in ad campaigns against it. Once again, citizens have been duped into voting against their best interests.

You can read about the lies in these ads on factcheck.org, if you're interested.

prop. 79 failed b/c we didn't understand it clearly enough to vote for it. Many Californians thought it was prop. 78. The language killed it. In addition, it didn't get as much airtime as the others props.

Written By: McDonald on 11/10/05 at 9:54 pm

In addition, it didn't get as much airtime as the others props.

The opposition to the drug companies could only muster about 10,000 bucks to air one commercial several times throughout the state. The drug companies paid 80 mil. Go figure.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/11/05 at 10:42 am

Shows Bush 10-15 points higher?  Where do you see that?  Rasmussen was the only one who got the 2004 election results correct and he predicted, through his poll, that Kaine would win.

They show Bush's approval rating on the front page of the site at 44 when it's low 30's at best in every other poll in the country that doesn't originate within the Republican party.

And it was true because Kaine said it was.  When asked by some newspaper if he would support the death penalty for Hitler, his response was something like "my Catholic faith forbids me from supporting the death penalty."  If there was no law in Virginia allowing for the death penalty, he wouldn't push for it.  He took a position of moderate because if he said something like "the death penalty is bad and I'll do everything in my power to get rid of it," he'd get laughed out of Virginia.

something like?  You don't even know the quote, just the attack ad:

As for the Hitler reference, the Richmond paper reports that its reporters pressed the Democratic candidate on "whether any person in history such as Adolf Hitler, Idi Amin or Joseph Stalin should be executed. Kaine responded that 'they don't deserve to live in a civil society' but said 'God grants life and God should take it away' and 'Most nations have decided not to have a death penalty.' "

Double standards.  When a Democrat supports his religious beliefs, it's laughable right? He was asked a leading question and the spinmasters in the Republican party tried to spin it around.  Once Hitler was mentioned he should have walked away from that question.  If you mention Hitler or nazis in connection with the neocons, suddenly we hear cries about how it's just used for shock value.  It's only ok when used as an argument point by a Republican though.  Next time some left-wing pundit brings up Hitler or Nazis and gets shouted at for it, well, I guess it's fair game now right?  Nothing like a cheap emotional argument point.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/11/05 at 10:50 am

The opposition to the drug companies could only muster about 10,000 bucks to air one commercial several times throughout the state. The drug companies paid 80 mil. Go figure.

that's sad

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/11/05 at 12:22 pm

78, 79 and 80 were the ones the democrats wanted to pass, and they failed worse than Schwarzenegger's props.  Maybe he isn't as hated as the media tries to spin it?

I Love how the democrats are comin back

The democrats won two governorships they already held and thats "comin back?"

something like?  You don't even know the quote, just the attack ad:

I just went off my memory from what I heard on CNN or Fox (whichever one I was watching at the time.)  I don't live in Virginia, I never saw the attack ad.

Written By: Meghan88 on 11/13/05 at 12:13 am

78, 79 and 80 were the ones the democrats wanted to pass, and they failed worse than Schwarzenegger's props.  Maybe he isn't as hated as the media tries to spin it?

The democrats won two governorships they already held and thats "comin back?"

I just went off my memory from what I heard on CNN or Fox (whichever one I was watching at the time.)  I don't live in Virginia, I never saw the attack ad.

I think that its a sign.  And um..if im not mistaken & from what ive heard, VA is a rep. state, despite the fact that their last gov. was a democrat....to vote democratic again....well, i think that says a lot.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/13/05 at 12:12 pm

I think that its a sign.  And um..if im not mistaken & from what ive heard, VA is a rep. state, despite the fact that their last gov. was a democrat....to vote democratic again....well, i think that says a lot.

What about the republicans winning the house of delegates in Virginia, the Lt. Governor and the Attorney General?  Or Bush winning in Virginia by a larger margin in 2004 than he did in 2000?  Keep dreaming.

Written By: Tia on 11/13/05 at 12:28 pm

well, i think the odds of virginia voting demo in 2008 are somewhere between zero and none. virginia would vote for a mentally defective monkey for president before they'd vote for a democrat, any democrat.

hey, come to think of it, virginia DID vote for a mentally defective monkey for president! twice! just recently! :D

that said, the fact that kilgore and kaine were neck and neck until bush came down at the last minute, campaigned for kilgore, who then subsequently lost by more than five points, that's not a good sign for the repubs. in terms of the national mood. bush is becoming like a dead weight the repubs are dragging around. the luster's kinda wore off and without his whole cowboy "we'll protect you from terrorism" schtick -- which fell apart when katrina happened and we learned that the administration is good for nothing in a crisis except covering its own butt and pointing fingers -- there's nothing left. he just looks sad and uninformed and out of touch.

oh well. sucksferyall.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/13/05 at 6:45 pm

I think this sounds super! I just hope the demos do something like this, and get off their republican lite strategy. Because I wanna vote dem, but they don't necessarily make it very easy...

As a Vermonter, I have corresponded with Howard Dean in the past, and in fact, he sent me a letter with a personal note saying that he mostly agrees with me.  I will send him that post and ask for his reaction.  I'll report back on his response. 

Written By: Tia on 11/13/05 at 6:50 pm

As a Vermonter, I have corresponded with Howard Dean in the past, and in fact, he sent me a letter with a personal note saying that he mostly agrees with me.  I will send him that post and ask for his reaction.  I'll report back on his response. 

do it! do it! i think the stuff you posted is really good, it really is positive and that's what the demos need right now. frankly i think dean is in a good position at the moment, working with the party apparatus but not up front -- they need someone more moderate. i wish it weren't true (personally i love kucinich!) but you gotta get the center. and the stuff you suggested is good! i fully expect to hear joe biden or mark warner hittin' some don carlos talking points on c-span a couple years from now...  ;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/13/05 at 7:00 pm

As a Vermonter, I have corresponded with Howard Dean in the past, and in fact, he sent me a letter with a personal note saying that he mostly agrees with me.  I will send  that post to him at the DCN.  I'm sire they will ask for $$$.  I'll report back on his response. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/13/05 at 7:12 pm

do it! do it! i think the stuff you posted is really good, it really is positive and that's what the demos need right now. frankly i think dean is in a good position at the moment, working with the party apparatus but not up front -- they need someone more moderate. i wish it weren't true (personally i love kucinich!) but you gotta get the center. and the stuff you suggested is good! i fully expect to hear joe biden or mark warner hittin' some don carlos talking points on c-span a couple years from now...  ;)

But the center has to be weened from all this "cultural" bullsh..  And there's the rub.  Can - will - the dems be able to get people thinking about their real interests instead, and +/- vote them, or will the rupugs capture center stage with their anti-abortion/homophobic/zenophobic crap?  I guess time will tell.  There are encouraging signs, and not just NJ and VA.  The "Intelligent Design" school board in PA was voted OUT.  Maybe some people are coming to there senses.

Written By: Tia on 11/13/05 at 7:48 pm

But the center has to be weened from all this "cultural" bullsh..  And there's the rub.  Can - will - the dems be able to get people thinking about their real interests instead, and +/- vote them, or will the rupugs capture center stage with their anti-abortion/homophobic/zenophobic crap?  I guess time will tell.  There are encouraging signs, and not just NJ and VA.  The "Intelligent Design" school board in PA was voted OUT.  Maybe some people are coming to there senses.

yeah, i think that'll actually turn out to be less of a problem than it seems. they made a big deal about "values voters" in the last election but the repubs have seriously lost that issue -- all you really need is someone to step forward who looks to have integrity, and i think joe biden and mark warner both have that, they'll get the "values" vote. when the repubs talk about values (and i should quit using that term so loosely, when what i mean is the far right, the neocons, NOT the republican moderates), what they really mean are "wedge issues" -- the stuff you're talking about, fusing church and state, outlawing a woman's right to choose, "intelligent design." and those issues, frankly, are gonna be losers for the far right. most people, honestly, are against things like outlawing abortion, and they just wanna start seeing some more pragmatic government.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/05 at 7:53 pm

Howard Dean needs to take his Volvo-driving, Latte-drinking, body-piercing, tattoo-wearing, secularist, anti-American freakshow back to Vermont where it belongs!

--Mr. and Mrs. Iowa
(Club for Growth sponsored ad 2004)
:D :D :D
Actually, I don't remember the exact litany of liberal lunacies listed, but it was something like that!

Check for new replies or respond here...