» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Rapture Index..is this silly or not? I think it's silly..

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/08/05 at 9:38 pm

Look at this Rapture Index..people trying to predict Armaggedon...http://www.raptureready.com/rap2.html

I think it's pretty silly.

Subject: Re: The Rapture Index..is this silly or not? I think it's silly..

Written By: Dagwood on 11/08/05 at 10:59 pm

I think it is silly, too. Most Christians that believe in the Rapture also believe what the bible says about it, that no man knows the time it will happen. Only God knows. (this is what I believe) It can't be predicted, IMO.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/05 at 12:08 am

The sillies who believe in the Rapture Index all believe they're going to be raptured to heaven....and you're going to hellOOOO DOLLY!
:D
Now old John Calvin would have told you you couldn't know when it was coming, and if you think you're saved....you're probably damned.  Now, I'm not much for Calvin either.  Regular barrel o' monkeys he was!
:P

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/09/05 at 4:00 pm

There are some Christians who believe that the second comming has already happened, like 2000 years ago.  But in terms of religion, whatever turns you on.  I especially like Baccus, Aphroditi, Dionisus etc.  I guess I like my Gods and Goddesses lusty.  With a wife like Cat is that any wonder?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/05 at 4:51 pm

If the Armageddonists are right, might as well worship Satan.  You're going to hell anyway, if yu worship the Prince of Darkness, maybe he'll cut you a break.  Anyway, Jesus has been appropriated by the GOP as a corporate logo, and if going to heaven means spending eternity with all those azzh()les, I'll take my chances with Judas Iscariot and Adolph Hitler!
:o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/05 at 7:02 pm

There are some Christians who believe that the second comming has already happened, like 2000 years ago.  But in terms of religion, whatever turns you on.  I especially like Baccus, Aphroditi, Dionisus etc.  I guess I like my Gods and Goddesses lusty.  With a wife like Cat is that any wonder?

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/10/05 at 3:01 pm

If the Armageddonists are right, might as well worship Satan.  You're going to hell anyway, if yu worship the Prince of Darkness, maybe he'll cut you a break.  Anyway, Jesus has been appropriated by the GOP as a corporate logo, and if going to heaven means spending eternity with all those azzh()les, I'll take my chances with Judas Iscariot and Adolph Hitler!
:o

Some one (I can't remember who) once said that the road to hell was paved with the heads of the popes.  I guess now its paved with the heads of lying US presidents, JFK, LBJ, RR, RMN, and I guess places are reserved for WJC, GHWB, and GWB as well.  You see, I can be non-partisan.

Written By: Tia on 11/10/05 at 3:13 pm

Some one (I can't remember who) once said that the road to hell was paved with the heads of the popes.  I guess now its paved with the heads of lying US presidents, JFK, LBJ, RR, RMN, and I guess places are reserved for WJC, GHWB, and GWB as well.  You see, I can be non-partisan.

hmm, well, that's about all of them! at least recently. skipped jimmy carter, though, which, given this thread, his initials are rather funny, yes?

totally unrelated question: did jesus have a middle name?

doesn't the bureau of atomic scientists have a nuclear armageddon clock? it always hovers between 4 minutes to midnight and one minute to midnight. there's soemthing about the idea of apocalypse that it just doesn't have any weight unless you say it's imminent. no one ever got a big donation from saying that the world was going to end in, oh, say, 5,000 years!:)

that said, i actually think this "civilization" has probably only got a few more decades left in it. i'm a big believer in the peak oil thing, and i just don't think we've got what it takes to fix the problem. i'm more than happy to be wrong, believe me! but my conspiracy-theory-du-jour is that this whole iraq thing is secretly motivated by a coming peak oil crisis, and it shows the politicos are just gonna keep kicking that can down the road.

:-X

Written By: Mushroom on 11/10/05 at 3:30 pm

The full name of Jesus would have been "Joshua ben Joseph".  So by modern use, I guess "Ben" (which means "son of") could be considered his middle name.

Myself, I consider myself a "Christian".  However, I realize that I am also a heretic.  I do not believe in the "Trinity", I consider God and Jesus as seperate entities.  Other then the interpretation of a few lines in the Bible, there is no eclesiastical proof to me that it there is a "Trinity".  The Scriptures certainly never talk about it.

I approach "Christianity" from a Jewish standpoint.  I do not believe in much of the works that came after Jesus, I mostly look to those that were written based directly on him and his life, not the beliefs of those that followed him a century or so later.

I also do not believe in "Revelations".  I view it as a "Passion Play", like "Job".  It is a morality tale, and should not be taken literally.  And since it is such a recent belief in and of itself (it only dates back to the 19th century), I consider it just more "drivel" that has been added on by Ministers who want to preach a message of "the End" instead of concentrating on the "here and now".

This is one big reason why I turned my back on and left the Pentacostal Church, and became a Presbyterian.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/05 at 6:47 pm

I think it was Harold, maybe Henry.  My father used to refer to a, Jesus H. Christ.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/10/05 at 9:17 pm

I wonder if liking the driver of the #8 Budweiser Nextel Cup racecar is my ticket to the Burning Basement..according to preachers, alcohol and anything related to it is Satan's work...

Written By: wyocowboy on 05/20/08 at 9:06 pm

I came across the web site rapture ready.  Yeah I would agree it is very silly.  I had been emailing the dude that moditors the web site and I kept asking him if he has read the following books:

"Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman
"The Jesus Mystery: Was the Orginal Jesus a Pagan God"
"The Laughing Jesus"

The dude would not answer if he had and I suspect he hadn't.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/22/08 at 1:16 am

Look at this Rapture Index..people trying to predict Armaggedon...

And to think that only 20 years ago, God-Fearin' Cold-Warrior Reaganite Republicans were openly mocking Helen Caldicott and the unilateral-disarmament community's hokey "two minutes to midnight" doomsday clock.  We fought monsters, only to become monsters. We stared too long into an abyss, and the abyss stared back into us.

Aphorism 146 from Friedrich Nietzche's Beyond Good and Evil was the first In Soviet Union joke, and he wrote it 120 years too early for anyone to get the joke.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/08 at 7:40 pm

Dr. Helen Caldicott is one of the most intelligent people in the entire world!

Written By: Macphisto on 05/23/08 at 4:23 pm

The Rapture is like that ridiculous 72 virgins idea.  Why people believe in it is beyond me, but then again...  why do people believe in religion at all?

Check for new replies or respond here...