» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The SMART CAR!

Written By: oh really now! on 11/15/05 at 4:21 am

New Lexus

Just got my new Lexus RX400h a few days ago. I returned to the dealer the next day complaining that I couldn't figure out how the radio worked.

The salesman explained that the radio was voice activated.

"Watch this," he said, "Nelson!"

The radio replied, "Ricky or Willie?"

"Willie!," he continued...and "On The Road Again" came from the speakers.

I drove away happy, and for the next few days, every time I'd say, "Beethoven," I'd get beautiful classical music, and if I said "Beatles," I'd get one of their awesome songs.

One day a couple ran a red light and nearly creamed my new car, but I swerved in time to avoid them. "butts!!," I yelled.

Suddenly the French National Anthem began to play, sung by Jane Fonda and Michael Moore, backed up by John Kerry on guitar, Al Gore on drums, and Bill Clinton on sax.

I love this car.

Subject: Re: The SMART CAR!

Written By: McDonald on 11/15/05 at 11:03 am

This is idiotic.

And I'm so tired of French-bashing. Get a f**king education, xenophopes.

Written By: EthanM on 11/15/05 at 1:53 pm

So this "smart car" is made up, but google is a real and very successful business that last I checked had the whitheouse site as its #1 search result for "failure"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/05 at 3:47 pm

http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/sound_sorting/initial_consonants/y/images/yawn.jpg

Written By: Davester on 11/15/05 at 3:50 pm

http://www.rit.edu/~jmc6852/Untitled-1.gif

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/15/05 at 5:06 pm

So this "smart car" is made up, but google is a real and very successful business that last I checked had the whitheouse site as its #1 search result for "failure"

That's because google operates in a weird way, via the most results for the search.  The liberals started that campaign back in 2003, telling everyone to type sentences and use hyperlinks involving Bush and "miserable failure."  Conservatives did it too.  Type in "miserable failure" in google and check out the #2 and #3 search results: the biography of Jimmy Carter and "Welcome to Michael Moore.com!"

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/16/05 at 2:02 am

I assume "Ashcrofts" was the censered word. 

The reason this joke fails is because when you say "Beethoven", the computer should be asking "Ludwig Van" or "Camper Van". 

and dont get me started on how many other Nelson's there are. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/17/05 at 8:24 pm

And I'm so tired of French-bashing.

I'm sure it's so common.  ::)

And where is the "french-bashing" in this thread?

Written By: EthanM on 11/18/05 at 12:10 am

The french-bashing is in the "punchline" it implies that the French National Anthem is an offensive piece of music, presumably because it is French. The censoring of the actual word to ashcrofts does make it a little harder to follow.

Why did you think the French National anthem played at the end?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/18/05 at 2:01 am

I believe the original lyrics of the French national anthem had very violent overtones.  I need to Google the lyrics and translate them to be sure, but that is one of many things I remember from French class.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/18/05 at 3:54 pm

I believe the original lyrics of the French national anthem had very violent overtones.  I need to Google the lyrics and translate them to be sure, but that is one of many things I remember from French class.

If I'm not mistaken the French national anthem is the Marsielles (sp) a song about liberty, fraternity, equality.  I guess, in the current atmosphere, those are concepts to be avoided in this, "the land of the free". 

Yes, the French Revolution was violent, so was ours.  But there has never been a tyrant who has given up power willingly, so what is the choice? Seems to me you submit or you rebel.  Isn't that what Ol' Tom said in the Devlaration of Independance?

Written By: karen on 11/21/05 at 5:20 am

I believe the original lyrics of the French national anthem had very violent overtones.

Written By: Davester on 11/21/05 at 7:13 am

Will this thread ever die...

Written By: karen on 11/21/05 at 7:16 am

Written By: McDonald on 11/21/05 at 10:06 am

I'm sure it's so common.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/21/05 at 11:49 pm

In the orchestra of French-bashing, you occupy first chair. Definitely.

Yes, I do it in every post of mine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/05 at 4:20 am

In the orchestra of French-bashing, you occupy first chair. Definitely.

First chair, mon frere!
:D

Written By: McDonald on 11/22/05 at 10:21 am

Yes, I do it in every post of mine.

"Every post..." is a deliberate exaggeration intended to downplay your position as our resident Francophobe. Everyone here has read a post of yours where you lash out against an entire nation (be it France, Germany, Canada, or some other), France is just tends to be your main focus. Not every post of yours has anything to do with this, in fact, I'm sure that most do not. But I've been reading most of your posts for over a year now and plenty have been along these lines.

What I'm so curious about is the way the right-wing in general seems to cling to nationalism as the last socially acceptable venue for hate-speech. Like it's OK to characterise an entire nation of people as foul-smelling, frog-eating, wimps because your irrational distaste is not based on race, but on age-old national tensions between different groups of ethnic whites. There has always been tension between Anglos and Francos, since the middle ages, but that doesn't make it OK.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/24/05 at 6:03 pm

In the UK this is the 'Smart' Car, one of the ugliest looking cars I've ever seen in my life.

http://www.thesmartcar.com/passioncabrio.jpg

Written By: limblifter on 11/24/05 at 9:42 pm

In the UK this is the 'Smart' Car, one of the ugliest looking cars I've ever seen in my life.

http://www.thesmartcar.com/passioncabrio.jpg

I would pay good money to see someone try and make it through a good ol' canadian winter in one of those things ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 11:12 pm

That's because google operates in a weird way, via the most results for the search.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 11/24/05 at 11:15 pm

"Every post..." is a deliberate exaggeration intended to downplay your position as our resident Francophobe. Everyone here has read a post of yours where you lash out against an entire nation (be it France, Germany, Canada, or some other), France is just tends to be your main focus. Not every post of yours has anything to do with this, in fact, I'm sure that most do not. But I've been reading most of your posts for over a year now and plenty have been along these lines.

What I'm so curious about is the way the right-wing in general seems to cling to nationalism as the last socially acceptable venue for hate-speech. Like it's OK to characterise an entire nation of people as foul-smelling, frog-eating, wimps because your irrational distaste is not based on race, but on age-old national tensions between different groups of ethnic whites. There has always been tension between Anglos and Francos, since the middle ages, but that doesn't make it OK.

I wonder if GWBush2004 ever has been a passenger on an Airbus aircraft..their final assembly plant is in Tolouse, France! And people on AOL boards make snide remarks about anything French or European...

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/25/05 at 4:55 am

Name one thing Bush the Second did to better the lot of the poor and oppressed in America....

Let's see, spending on entitlement programs like medicare and food stamps have gone up 33% since Bush took office (not saying that is a good thing, but it's reality.)

Now what president do you think helped the poor so much?  Clinton?  Why?

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/25/05 at 6:25 am

I would pay good money to see someone try and make it through a good ol' canadian winter in one of those things ;D

;D ;D

Written By: limblifter on 11/25/05 at 10:23 am

;D ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 11/25/05 at 12:26 pm

I imagine it would take only one pass from the street plough to keep this car in it's place for a while. :)

Yeap, it would make a great giant snowball if the plough could roll it along for a while

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/25/05 at 3:42 pm

Let's see, spending on entitlement programs like medicare and food stamps have gone up 33% since Bush took office (not saying that is a good thing, but it's reality.)

Now what president do you think helped the poor so much?  Clinton?  Why?

Why are they up?  Did they increase the payout to people, or are more people collecting due to more people falling into poverty?

Last time I checked, the number of people in poverty has risen during Bush II's reign.  I guess he's doing more for them, in the sense that he's giving them more pals on the welfare lines.

Written By: Satish on 11/28/05 at 12:27 am

I wonder why the profanity filter changes a-hole into "Ashcroft", of all words?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/30/05 at 11:10 am

I wonder why the profanity filter changes a-hole into "Ashcroft", of all words?

You wonder why?

Check for new replies or respond here...