» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Sexual Identity

Written By: snafu on 11/15/05 at 2:23 pm

I am a lesbian and for me, it is by nature. Other than friendship, I'm not drawn to men, and that's me. Most other gay people I've met have had at least one heterosexual experience of some kind, AND many heterosexuals who've had homosexual experiences of some kind. (Usually during childhood, college years...)  Some say that EVERYONE is born bisexual, but eventually choose which way they'll go. I think SOME are like that, but NOT EVEYONE. Some people are just drawn to one gender, whatever it is. I say that whenever a person states that all people are bisexuals, it removes a gay or heterosexual's right to their own identity, because people should not decide

Subject: Re: Sexual Identity

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/05 at 3:43 pm

I don't either.  Who said we all were?
???

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/15/05 at 3:46 pm

I think we are all born with a sexual identity, period.

Written By: Ophrah on 11/15/05 at 4:49 pm

It doesn't matter.

Written By: barefootrobin on 11/15/05 at 4:50 pm

It doesn't matter.

Yeah - pretty much.  In a nutshell.

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/16/05 at 1:55 am

It doesn't matter.

my thoughts exactly....gay, straight, bisexual, theyre still people. 

unless theyre turkeys...then theyre not people at all. 

Written By: jaytee on 11/16/05 at 9:06 am

I voted unsure.  I'm 99.9 % certain I'm heterosexual but who knows maybe I haven't met the right girl!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/16/05 at 10:54 am

I am a lesbian and for me, it is by nature. Other than friendship, I'm not drawn to men, and that's me. Most other gay people I've met have had at least one heterosexual experience of some kind, and many heterosexuals who've had homosexual experiences of some kind.

I haven't met too many heterosexuals who claim to have had any kind of gay experiences. I've seen plenty of mention of women who "experimented" in college, but generally it's by men projecting their own little fantasy, not by women themselves.

As for gay people who have hetero relationships, it reminds me of an excellent thread on metafilter by someone who was concerned that several women he had dated began batting for the other team after breaking up with him.  A few people pointed out from their own experience, that since hetereosexuality is the norm most homosexuals are led to believe they're supposed to be hetero.  So they try it in order to confrom, or to figure out whether or not they truly are gay or not.  So I doubt these people are truly "bi-sexual".  More like confused, or trying to figure it out what they are, by doing what is normal for the majority of people.  Someone who was truly "bi" wouldn't care one way or the other which sex they consort with.

Written By: McDonald on 11/16/05 at 11:06 am

Seeing as how there could be many definitions for what "bisexual" means, I'm not quite sure. But assuming that we all agree it means experiencing a sexual attraction to members of either sex, then I would say yes, to a certain degree, thanks to some reading I have done in Psychology on the work of Alfred Kinsey. I quote wikipedia here.

Some studies, notably Alfred Kinsey's Sexual Behavior in the Human Male (1948) and Sexual Behavior in the Human Female (1953), have indicated that the majority of people appear to be at least somewhat bisexual. The studies report that most people have some attraction to either sex, although usually one sex is preferred. According to some (falsely attributed to Kinsey), only about 5-10% of the population can be considered to be fully heterosexual or homosexual. On the other hand, an even smaller minority has no distinct preference for one gender or the other.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/16/05 at 1:05 pm

honestly, I'm not sure.

I'm 90% hetero, but I've had some bi-curious situations.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/16/05 at 1:12 pm

Humans are sexual beings-whether people want to admit that or not. I think that most humans have some bisexual tendicies but most lean more towards one way or other. For instance, someone who calls themselves heterosexual, may in fact, have say 5% of homosexual tendicies.

I have met a few trisexuals in my day-they will try anything.  :o :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/05 at 2:00 pm

I haven't met too many heterosexuals who claim to have had any kind of gay experiences. I've seen plenty of mention of women who "experimented" in college, but generally it's by men projecting their own little fantasy, not by women themselves.

I think a lot more hetero guys have dabbled in it than are willing to say so.  I haven't personally, but that's just me, never had the inclination.  Furthermore, I know a fellow who was a champion wrestler in high school.  The other night he was describing some of the locker room hazing rituals they used to do.  Made me cringe!  They're too explicit to describe here!  I had a thought, though, maybe some of the male experimenting comes in the form of ritual humiliations.
Now, I've been to parties with college-aged people in which two or women start necking.  It's just something they do for attention.  Maybe to get the guys hot and bothered.  But...I have yet to see guys do that at a party! 
I had a girlfriend in college who claimed she was bisexual, and had had encounters with other women (fellas, if you're gonna ask that question, the answer is no, mmmkay?) but a few years after she got out of school, I ran into her cousin who said she was happily married to one of our guy friends. 
I think there's a behavior double standard when it comes to "experimenting."
And did you ever notice how women will say, "Oh, she's one of my girlfriends," but you never hear men say, "Oh, he's one of my boyfriends?"
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...