» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Vermont Secedes!

Written By: Tia on 11/21/05 at 1:44 pm

i think catwoman would get a particular kick outta this.

funny that vermont and texas would have this in common: both states have fairly vibrant secession movements going. they say politics makes for strange bedfellows...

http://www.vermontrepublic.org/

"VERMONT INDEPENDENCE RESOLUTION

Be it resolved that the state of Vermont peacefully and democratically free itself from the United States of America and return to its natural status as an independent republic as it was between January 15, 1777 and March 4, 1791.

Sign the Resolution on thePetitionSite.com"

Subject: Re: Vermont Secedes!

Written By: Ophrah on 11/21/05 at 2:11 pm

funny that vermont and texas would have this in common: both states have fairly vibrant secession movements going. they say politics makes for strange bedfellows...

Ooh, the Rabid Deanies and the Rabid Bushies.  Should be interesting.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/21/05 at 3:52 pm

Didn't Vermont learn from the war between the states what happens when you try to secede from the imperial federal government?

Maybe it's the south's turn to pull a Sherman up north.

Written By: Tia on 11/21/05 at 3:56 pm

Didn't Vermont learn from the war between the states what happens when you try to secede from the imperial federal government?

that would make a good movie. sorta a fun what-if. i like the idea of combining that with my idea for making a jenna-bush-as-rambo movie.

hmm. i'm seein' this could work.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/21/05 at 4:14 pm

that would make a good movie. sorta a fun what-if. i like the idea of combining that with my idea for making a jenna-bush-as-rambo movie.

hmm. i'm seein' this could work.

The "Vermont Independance" Movement has been around for some time, and while (I can't believe I'm about to write this) GWB is right about peacefully leaving the union, I wonder if the radical right that now dominates Congress would be sad to see us go.  Pat, Jim, and Bernie have been thorns in their sides for some time now

As to "what if" movies, did you ever see Man with a Plan staring diary farmer Fred Tuttle?  In that film he ran for congress and won by 1 vote.  In the primaries leading up to the 2002 election, he ran as a republican against multi-millionair Jack McMullen, spent $65 on the race, and won by a landslide (we have crossover voting in VT and there was no challenger to Pat Leahy).  During the general election there was a cartoon in the local paper which showed Shummer and DeMoto wrestling in the muck while Pat and Fred shared a cup of tea.  "More crumpets, Fred?" was the caption.  Life immitating art.  Or as Bertolt Brecht sais "Art is not a mirror of reality, but a hammer with which to shape it".  Great stuff.

Written By: Skippy on 11/21/05 at 5:06 pm

So a visit with Dick & Joanna at the ol' Stratford Inn will soon be a "foreign vacation". Cool!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/21/05 at 6:39 pm

I posted this thread last year.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,9543.0.html

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/21/05 at 8:04 pm

I say Vermont should go in the other direction: Conquest!  Take over the federal govermnemt!  Onward Green Mountain Boys!  Ethan Allen wasn't just a furniture store y'know!
;)

Written By: Tia on 11/22/05 at 8:31 am

I say Vermont should go in the other direction: Conquest!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/22/05 at 8:36 am

Please don't do that, it would only guarantee a loss... again, and another couple of hundred years of
"the South will rise again"

Written By: McDonald on 11/22/05 at 10:08 am

There's actually a group in Texas who refuse to recognise Texas' status as a state because Texas was not admitted to the Union by treaty, and therefore annexation was illegal. They refuse to get tags on their vehicles, apply for gaming licenses, etc... I think they call themselves the Republic of Texas.

Written By: Tia on 11/22/05 at 10:14 am

There's actually a group in Texas who refuse to recognise Texas' status as a state because Texas was not admitted to the Union by treaty, and therefore annexation was illegal. They refuse to get tags on their vehicles, apply for gaming licenses, etc... I think they call themselves the Republic of Texas.

yeah, i was alluding to that in my first post, the republic of texas! lol. what weirdos. i think they had an armed standoff with the FBI not too long back. you're not legit till you have an armed standoff with the FBI.  :D

i'm big on the twirly-eyed emoticon today..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/22/05 at 11:20 am

I say Vermont should go in the other direction: Conquest!  Take over the federal govermnemt!  Onward Green Mountain Boys!  Ethan Allen wasn't just a furniture store y'know!
;)

Yeah, I can just see it now. All us "Vermontas" going down to Washington armed with beds, dressers, and chairs.  :D

We could start with taking all our marble back. FYI the majority of the marble used in the buildings in D.C. came from Vermont.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/05 at 1:10 pm

yeah, i was alluding to that in my first post, the republic of texas! lol. what weirdos. i think they had an armed standoff with the FBI not too long back. you're not legit till you have an armed standoff with the FBI.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/22/05 at 4:21 pm

Yeah, I can just see it now. All us "Vermontas" going down to Washington armed with beds, dressers, and chairs.  :D

We could start with taking all our marble back. FYI the majority of the marble used in the buildings in D.C. came from Vermont.

Cat

How about "armed" with Pat and Bernie in the senate and Peter Welch in the house? 

We could instruct them to steal all the marble back, but then the capital & the White House would collapse.  A terrorist attack?  Could be.  and what about the Washington Monument?  Imagine it rebuilt in Tetford (Fred's home town - SPREAD FRED).

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/23/05 at 10:51 am

What's scary is, if Texas actually decided tomorrow that they wanted to secede from the United States, they have enough natural resources (oil, cattle, and farmland), manufacturing capability (as well as oil refineries), and military hardware (if they commandeered it from the federal government and could somehow convince the military personnel based in their state to join their cause) to where they'd just might be able to pull it off. Vermont, on the other hand, would most likely be retaken by the federal government in less than 48 hours.

Just make sure you steer clear of Nebraska. STRATCOM and several hundred Minuteman ICBM's might make you want to think twice about "rising again."

Written By: Tia on 11/23/05 at 10:59 am

What's scary is, if Texas actually decided tomorrow that they wanted to secede from the United States, they'd have enough natural resources (oil, cattle, and farmland), manufacturing capability (as well as oil refineries), and military hardware (if they commandeered it from the federal government and could somehow convince the military personnel based in their state to join their cause) to where they'd just might be able to pull it off. Vermont, on the other hand, would most likely be retaken by the federal government in less than 48 hours.Just make sure you steer clear of Nebraska. STRATCOM and several hundred Minuteman ICBM's might make you want to think twice about "rising again."

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/23/05 at 5:36 pm

Vermont, on the other hand, would most likely be retaken by the federal government in less than 48 hours.

Well, occupied maybe, but we do have the tradition of the Green Mountain Boys and Johnny Stark. 

"Why come you hither, Redcoats?
Your mind what madness fills?
In our valleys there is danger
and there's danger in our hills.

Do you hear the ringing of the bugle load and free?
Full soon you'll hear the crackle of our rifles from the trees.

And the rifle,
And the rifle,
In our hands will prove no trifle."

Do the name Bagdad ring a bell?

The occupation of unwilling territory always comes at a high price.  When will you imperialists learn that lesson?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/23/05 at 6:54 pm

Well, occupied maybe, but we do have the tradition of the Green Mountain Boys and Johnny Stark.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/05 at 7:35 pm

Who's in the "Green Mountain Boys?"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/24/05 at 12:44 pm

Who's in the "Green Mountain Boys?"  Larry, his brother Darryl, and his other brother Darryl?  ;D

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/interviews/bill-sanderson/larry_newhart.jpg

No, they are not in "The Green Mountain Boys".  They are aldermen for the city of Rutland.  :D :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/24/05 at 4:28 pm

Who's in the "Green Mountain Boys?"  Larry, his brother Darryl, and his other brother Darryl?  ;D

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/interviews/bill-sanderson/larry_newhart.jpg

Actually, they're from Texas.

Here's the real Ethan Allen

http://odur.let.rug.nl/~usa/images/ethanallen

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/28/05 at 3:03 am

No, they are not in "The Green Mountain Boys".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/05 at 12:45 pm

Rutland...isn't that where the Rutles are from?  ::)

http://hometown.aol.com/sillysongbook/images/young%20rutles%20bw.jpg

You would think-but actually it REALLY is the "Land of Ruts".  You can always tell when you have entered the city because you will think it is time to change your shock absorbers.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/28/05 at 2:06 pm

There's also a lot of rutting going on.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/28/05 at 5:48 pm

There's also a lot of rutting going on.
That's right, we all know about you (from the old Site That Shall Remain Nameless), you old horn dog!  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/05 at 9:37 pm

Rutland...isn't that where the Rutles are from?

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/28/05 at 10:00 pm

That would be a paramilitary group led by an ancestor of mine, Ethan Allen, around the time of the American Revolution.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/05 at 10:54 pm

Oh, my bad. I thought that the "Green Mountain Boys" were a 1960's garage band out of Montpelier.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/29/05 at 5:01 pm

That's right, we all know about you (from the old Site That Shall Remain Nameless), you old horn dog!  ;)

Wellllll..... any MD will tell you, in reference to any part of your body, use it or loose it.

Oh, my bad. I thought that the "Green Mountain Boys" were a 1960's garage band out of Montpelier.  ;D

You're thinking of the Green Mountain Stompers.

Nah, "Green Mountain Boys" sounds more like a '70s folk band from Montpelier.  They played a cross between bluegrass, jugband, and Acadian fiddle music.  The used to play contradances at your local Grange den or town hall.  Had one album out on Folkways in 1979...or was it on Flying Fish!
::)

They play traditional Irish jigs and reels, a bit of French Canadian stuff, and the occasional waltz.  And yes, they do play contra dances (how many people know what that is?), in fact, they occasionally played for a contra dance performance troop I once belonged to, the Green Mountain Volunteers.  We performed world wide, England, France, Equador, even Canada.  They recorded on the Frying Phish label.

Check for new replies or respond here...