» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Queen's New Representative in Canada A Qu

Written By: McDonald on 11/22/05 at 1:15 pm

For my fellow Canadians, and for my fellow Americans, and for my non-North American friends interested in Canadian politics, this should be interesting. Most of you have probably heard tell of this, especially if you're living in Canada right now. I'd just love to know what your opinions are. This story is about two months old, so I guess enough time has passed.

Micha

Subject: Re: The Queen's New Representative in Canada A Qu

Written By: STAR70 on 11/22/05 at 8:44 pm

all nationalism aside, Quebec wouldn't last long without all those subsidies from Ottawa.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/24/05 at 5:23 pm

It is almost impossible to really follow Canadian politics without a great effort here in the states, but it was interesting when I lived in norther N.Y. and got the National and the Journal on the tube.  Dio you think the Queen knew about this chick?

Written By: limblifter on 11/24/05 at 9:38 pm

I think this story has been blown out of proportion. They've shown clips of the documentary here, and she never said anything in them. Of course I haven't seen the entire film, so I really can't say.

I really don't believe that Paul Martin picked her to appease the french though. I mean anyone that lives here in Quebec knows that the french hate anything that has to do with the queen. When she tours Canada she doesn't stop in Quebec. And personally I believe that Canada shouldn't even be wasting tax dollars ona GG to begin with.

Besides. Who really cares if the GG is from Quebec anyways? Everyone knows that the top job in Canada always goes to a Quebecois. :D

Written By: Satish on 11/24/05 at 9:40 pm

I mostly see the queen and the governor general as symbolic figureheads, so I don't care too much about them to begin with.

I disagree with Quebec separatists, but I still respect their opinion, and acknowledge that they have a place in our country.

That film was made some years ago. In all her recent statements, Michaelle Jean has said she supports a united Canada, so I don't have a problem with her.

Written By: limblifter on 11/24/05 at 9:49 pm

That film was made some years ago. In all her recent statements, Michaelle Jean has said she supports a united Canada, so I don't have a problem with her.

Exactly. And on a more chauvenistic note. Who better to represent all of us good looking canadians than a classy, beautiful woman? I've had a crush on her for years!

http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/4861/jean5wl.jpg

Written By: McDonald on 11/28/05 at 10:47 am

Great, I thought this thread was going to be a dud for a sec.

Even if she were at one time a separatist, I don't think it should disqualify her from being GG. The separatist movement has changed so drastically since the days of the FLQ anyway, and I'm sure there are a lot of former francophone separatists that now recognise that federalism is a better deal for them. I don't think Jean would have accepted the position if she were still actively separatist.

As for her possible friendship with former FLQ terrorists, well, is that a crime? Jacques Rose and Pierre Valli

Check for new replies or respond here...