» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Massachusetts uses blue laws to shut down store on Thanksgiving

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/23/05 at 1:52 am

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2005/11/21/daily2.html

Subject: Re: Massachusetts uses blue laws to shut down store on Thanksgiving

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/05 at 2:13 am

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2005/11/21/daily2.html

That's Mass 4ya!  A mere 25 years ago, blue laws were in effect every single Sunday.  Then around 1982, stores could open on Sunday only from noon to 6:00 pm.  My ex from Austin sure missed it.  We'd be hungry or bored at midnight, and Jillian would say, "You know, if we were in Austin we could go do this that the other thing!"  Grrrrr!
::)

I did see that sign in Whole Foods the other day, "Per Order of State Law We Will be Closed on Thanksgiving Day."

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 2:15 am

I didn't even know the Blue Law was still existant

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/23/05 at 2:24 am

Almost every state, somewhere, even if it's just one county, has some form of blue laws.  The most restrictive are in some New Jersey county, I remember reading about it, nearly every thing is banned on Sunday.  And get this.  The people in that county like the blue laws a lot, because they keep voting them back in via referendum.

Here in Georgia, I know there is a county that has/had blue laws.  I remember them when I first moved to this state.  It was either Henry or Paulding county, they allowed no alcohol sales on Sunday.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/05 at 2:27 am

In Massachusetts, we've got some Blue Hills, some blue laws, some blue-noses, and some blue b*lls!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/huepfen/jumping-smiley-012.gif

Almost every state, somewhere, even if it's just one county, has some form of blue laws.  The most restrictive are in some New Jersey county, I remember reading about it, nearly every thing is banned on Sunday.  And get this.  The people in that county like the blue laws a lot, because they keep voting them back in via referendum.

Here in Georgia, I know there is a county that has/had blue laws.  I remember them when I first moved to this state.  It was either Henry or Paulding county, they allowed no alcohol sales on Sunday.

There are dry towns and dry counties here and there throughout the country, usually this only applies to selling alcohol on Sundays.  There are also some towns and counties that are dry seven days a week.  Can't name them off the top of my head.  It's not that big a deal.  You can usually drive across the county line and load up.  You can possess, transport, and consume alcohol in dry areas, but you can't sell it.  There are probably some locales with greater restrictions, though.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/05 at 6:47 am

The law pertaining to Thanksgiving had been ignored, or overlooked, but the people at Shaws Market
made it an issue so they state had to enforce it.  They will probably change it now that it has become
an issue.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/23/05 at 11:34 am

I can't say I've ever seen the harm in having stores closed on three days out of the year.  Everyone is in the same boat, so it's not like they're going to lose business to some other store.  The only possible exception being stores near the borders of the state and ost of those stores are already at a disadvantage due to the lack of sales tax in New Hampshire anyways.  If you've lived in the state for more than a month, you've probably figured it out by now anyways, so most people plan ahead.

The laws make some sense as well.  If everything is open, then emergency services have to be staffed at normal levels.  With fewer businesses open, you need fewer police available for calls due to the drop in traffic, shoplifters, etc. 

There's a reason why the Novemeber/December holidays have the most travel.  Everyone gets those days off.  Remove that last barrier, and the airlines aren't going to be very happy when they see a dip in their revenue.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/23/05 at 12:09 pm

I remember when I lived in Texas, you couldn't buy alcohol until 12 noon on Sundays. I also know there are a lot of dry counties-especially in Texas.

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 11/23/05 at 2:32 pm

In Massachusetts, we've got some Blue Hills, some blue laws, some blue-noses, and some blue b*lls!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/huepfen/jumping-smiley-012.gif
There are dry towns and dry counties here and there throughout the country, usually this only applies to selling alcohol on Sundays.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/23/05 at 4:38 pm

Well, since Sunday is the Christian sabboth this appears to be the establishment of a religion.

This looks like a case for ACLU Man

:)  ;)  :D  ;D  :)  ;)  :D  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 11/23/05 at 6:09 pm

I never much understood the Blue Law.  We had it here for many years, which didn't really make sense because I live in a Tourist city, and Sunday usually seems like the place when they come to visit the city. 

"If you close the stores, they will come"  ???  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...