» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Thinking about buying a fuel-effecient car? Read this:

Written By: Skippy on 11/25/05 at 3:33 pm

Saw this on a news ticker and almost fell out of my chair:

Link: http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051125/NEWS01/511250344

So, I guess the roads are more important than our natural resources?

Subject: Re: Thinking about buying a fuel-effecient car? Read this:

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/25/05 at 3:39 pm

It would be better if they taxed based on the weight of the vehicle, especially for non-commercial vehicles. If your vehicle weighs more, it's ruining the roads faster than a lighter car (not to mention wasting gas, endangering pedestrians/other drivers, etc).

Hybrids aren't even taking that huge a chunk out of the demand of gasoline (they account for less than 5% of the marker).  It's obvious they didn't fund their pork giveaway properly in congress.

Written By: Skippy on 11/25/05 at 6:22 pm

It would be better if they taxed based on the weight of the vehicle, especially for non-commercial vehicles.

I feel the same way, the more they weigh, the more wear and tear they cause. Commercial vehicles already pay a costly road use tax, and fuel tax. Large campers and RV's, and trailers should be next in line for a use tax. Also, since the interstate highway system was originally designed for mobilazation of the military, why not include part off the cost of highway maintenance in their budget?
That part about using a GPS system got me. How much would that cost to implement and maintain?
I barely use the interstate system, but I guess I would still be kicking in for every mile driven.
I also think the FHWA should consider making any new additions to the interstate system toll roads.

I guess this is what happens when you elect a "Big Oil" administration.  :P

Written By: Powerslave on 11/25/05 at 6:45 pm

Well now that Bush's borrowing has exceeded the total of that of every other administration put together, he has to make the money back somehow.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/25/05 at 10:19 pm

Let's just wait 'till we're out of fossil fuels and breathable air, and figure out something then.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/27/05 at 4:12 pm

Let's just wait 'till we're out of fossil fuels and breathable air, and figure out something then.

Well, look at it this way, as John Maynard Kaynes so aptly put it, "in the long run, we're all dead", and I guesss that includes  my little grand daughters, who will suffer for, and pay for, the stupidity of our leaders

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/28/05 at 1:16 am

Well, look at it this way, as John Maynard Kaynes so aptly put it, "in the long run, we're all dead", and I guesss that includes

Check for new replies or respond here...