» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: This is just wrong

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 11/27/05 at 4:18 pm

I don't know if this had been on the national news or anything......

http://www.thevistaonline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/11/10/43736dea190d6?in_archive=1

Now most of you probably know I don't agree with homosexuality but I think this ^ is just stupid and very distasteful

Subject: Re: This is just wrong

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/27/05 at 4:24 pm

I agree, it was stupid and distasteful.....  ::)  >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/27/05 at 7:57 pm

Why hasn't somebody settled Rev. Fred Phelps hash for good?  He has the First Amendment behind him, but if he was out there screaming "God hates n*gg*rs!," and waving signs outside African American funerals with captions such as "Another n*gg*r bites the dust!," somebody would have, you know, done something about him by now! 

Written By: Dagwood on 11/27/05 at 8:57 pm

How tasteless of them to disrupt a funeral. 

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 11/28/05 at 3:01 am

This clown has been picketing the funerals of American troops for a couple of years now. The good Reverend Phelp's rationale behind this is that someone tried to blow up his church in 1995, and he thinks the U.S. government is somehow behind it, and that the deaths of American soldiers in Iraq is God's punishment for the attempted bombing.

This guy is gonna get his ass kicked one of these days.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/28/05 at 12:59 pm

Yes, he does have the right to speak. But what gets me is that there are people who follow this jack@$$ who is spewing all this hate. Personally, I don't think he (or his followers) are Christian-at least not the definition of a Christian that I know. That is what makes this man (and many like him) dangerous is his followers. If it was just him making all this noise, people will just think that he was an idiot and he would be totally ignored. But because he has followers-that is where the danger lies.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/28/05 at 2:03 pm

Yea, Phelps is an idiot, lots of that going around these days.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 11/28/05 at 7:50 pm

Yes, he does have the right to speak. But what gets me is that there are people who follow this jack@$$ who is spewing all this hate. Personally, I don't think he (or his followers) are Christian-at least not the definition of a Christian that I know. That is what makes this man (and many like him) dangerous is his followers. If it was just him making all this noise, people will just think that he was an idiot and he would be totally ignored. But because he has followers-that is where the danger lies.

Yeah thats what really ticks me off is these people claim to be "Christian"

Written By: Mushroom on 11/29/05 at 10:38 am

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/29/05 at 4:50 pm

You will find that most Christians are offended by Fred Phelps, and think he is a disgrace.  Even some of the most fundamentalist I know think he has gone far far over the line.

I wish that somebody could get him for "hate crimes".  He gives the rest of us a bad name.

I was hoping you would say something like this.

Written By: Mushroom on 11/30/05 at 10:10 am

I was hoping you would say something like this.

Thanks Don.

Mr. Phelps forgot one of the most important teaching of Christianity:

Love the sinner, but hate the sin.

No matter what you feel about an act (no matter what it is), that does not give you the right to persecute somebody because of it.  Mr. Phelps is a "loose cannon", who has done more damage to "Christians" then anything else in recent times.  After all, it is his lawsuits that are causing the removal of 50+ year old monuments because of "religious connotations".

Just last year, the city of Boise Idaho had to remove a statue of the 10 Commandments that was placed in a city part of a memorial to World War II.  Mr. Phelps objected, stating if that "religious" statue could be in the park, then he had every right to raise his statue that showed a dead gay man being tortured (or whatever it was, I just know it was offensive).  He sues when they refused, so they finally removed it altogether to stop the lawsuits.

The closest I come to allowing "persecution" is when it is not a sin, but a crime.  And even then, a most horrible crime like child molestation.  ANd I do not view it then as persecution for a past act, but an attempt to protect other children from the same thing.  A far cry from what Mr. Phelps does.

Written By: Don Carlos on 11/30/05 at 6:11 pm

We disagree on many issues (I hope, for my part respectfully) but I think we are on the same page here.  And, by the way its Carlos.  "Don" refers to the fact that my grandfather was a hidalgo. a knight of the Spanish court (Big deal) and that I have a Ph.D. My name is Carlos.  But no matter.

Written By: Dagwood on 11/30/05 at 9:18 pm

This clown has been picketing the funerals of American troops for a couple of years now. The good Reverend Phelp's rationale behind this is that someone tried to blow up his church in 1995, and he thinks the U.S. government is somehow behind it, and that the deaths of American soldiers in Iraq is God's punishment for the attempted bombing.

This guy is gonna get his ass kicked one of these days.

And, hopefully it is captured on video.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/05 at 11:29 pm

And, hopefully it is captured on video.

Nah, remember the anti-christ is supposed to be someone that everyone loves.

Written By: Billy Florio on 12/01/05 at 12:46 am

I knew it "Raymond" is the anti-christ!

;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/01/05 at 5:06 am

I knew it "Raymond" is the anti-christ!
:o ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 12/01/05 at 11:14 am

We disagree on many issues (I hope, for my part respectfully) but I think we are on the same page here.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/01/05 at 4:20 pm

I use "Don", because it is a respectful title to use.  My ex's family is of Spanish descent, so I do understand the way that you use it. 

It is no different from saying "Mr. Carlos" (or more accurately "Sir Carlos") in my way of viewing it.

Or maybe I have simply seen "The Godfather" a few to many times.  And one thing I learned from those movies, is that you do not want to offend The Don.  ::)

Yeah, get smart with me and I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.  ;)  :D  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...