» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: US death penalty: 1000th execution

Written By: GWBush2004 on 11/30/05 at 8:54 am

Grim milestone looms for US death penalty: 1000th execution
Yahoo
11/30/2005

The United States will likely reach this week the grim milestone of 1,000 executions of convicts since 1976, although capital punishment is declining with fewer juries choosing death sentences.

A convicted murderer was put to death by lethal injection in Ohio on Tuesday, making him the 999th executed inmate since the Supreme Court reinstated capital punishment 29 years ago.

John Hicks, 49, was killed by lethal injection in the prison of Lucasville, Ohio, state prison authorities said.

Hicks was sentenced to death over the 1985 murder of his mother-in-law and five-year-old step-daughter. He was under the influence of drugs during the killings.

According to a copy of his final statement before his execution, Hicks said: "First I'd like to thank my Heavenly Father for forgiving me of these crimes I committed and to the victims who lost their love ones, I know it has been 20 years of pain and hurt."

"Y'all endured the pain each day. I hurt too. I cared and loved them too. God has forgiven me. I'm sorry and I wish I could bring them back," he said.

"The real me began with a syringe in my arm and now today I have a needle in my arm. I have come full circle. I'm at peace with it," he said.

An execution was scheduled in Virginia for late Wednesday, but on Tuesday, Virginia Governor Mark Warner issued an eleventh-hour reprieve for Robin Lovitt, commuting his death sentence to life in prison without parole.

The governor explained his decision by the fact that evidence from Lovitt's trial was destroyed by a court employee, even though the state of Virginia was legally obligated to maintain physical evidence until a defendant has exhausted every legal post-trial remedy.

The grim milestone is now likely to be reached on Friday as North Carolina and South Carolina both have executions scheduled for that day.

Full story.

--I can't stand to post the rest of this article.  The AP once again shows their bias.

Check for new replies or respond here...