» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Moveon.org busted photoshopping troops

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/01/05 at 8:59 am

MoveOn.org Restores Ad That Misidentifies 'US' Troops
CNS News
12/01/2005

(CNSNews.com) - After Cybercast News Service reported Wednesday that MoveOn.org had removed from its website a television advertisement stating that "150,000 American men and women are stuck in Iraq," the liberal group restored the spot to its site -- but without an accompanying picture that had been altered to cover the fact that one of the soldiers in the ad was wearing shorts, which are not part of the American combat uniform.

As Cybercast News Service previously reported, the 30-second spot begins by stating: "Some folks won't be home this holiday season." The ad then pans across a group of soldiers getting military rations as the voiceover states that "150,000 American men and women are stuck in Iraq."

However, Todd Vician, a spokesman with the U.S. Defense Department, told Cybercast News Service after viewing the ad that none of the men featured in the photograph are wearing U.S. uniforms. "We don't have that style of desert camouflage," he said.

Late Wednesday afternoon, the ad, which a press release from MoveOn.org Political Action indicated "echoes Democrats' calls for an exit plan from Iraq" and attacks Republicans for "failing to offer a plan to end the U.S. occupation" of that country," vanished from the group's website.

When the spot reappeared hours later, the site no longer contained a scroll of still shots from the advertisement, including the picture of the soldiers. One of the men in the photograph was wearing long pants in the illustration, but in the actual ad was shown wearing shorts, a difference that was not lost on the owners of at least one internet site.

MoveOn.org did not return telephone calls from Cybercast News Service seeking comment for this article.

Link: http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200512/POL20051201a.html

http://static.flickr.com/35/68481673_9238c500ea.jpg

Subject: Re: Moveon.org busted photoshopping troops

Written By: McDonald on 12/01/05 at 1:35 pm

I don't understand how this is important, or how this even reflects badly upon moveon.org. Who cares if the soldiers they were using for the ad were actors? Does that change the fact that 150,000 troops actually won't be home this christmas?

Written By: Tia on 12/01/05 at 1:54 pm

There's this infatuation with thinking the "liberal media" is retouching photos that I haven't seen since back when people were analyzing the zapruder film. It's pretty funny.

Written By: Tia on 12/01/05 at 1:57 pm

that said, I don't get it either. Shorts, camouflage, and the relevance is, what, exactly?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/05 at 2:22 pm

that said, I don't get it either. Shorts, camouflage, and the relevance is, what, exactly?

That moveon.org is part of the far-left loony liberal fifth column whose goal is to demoralize our fighting men and women, destroy America's credibility, and help the terrorists win the war.  Same with Dan Rather.  All liberals are crypto-terrorists who hate their country.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/01/05 at 4:14 pm

I don't understand how this is important, or how this even reflects badly upon moveon.org. Who cares if the soldiers they were using for the ad were actors? Does that change the fact that 150,000 troops actually won't be home this christmas?

Not being home for Christmas?

That is simply part of "Military Life".  So what?

In my 10 years in the service, I only got to spend Christmas with my family 4 times.  And each of those times, I just happened to be stationed near home.  My other 6 years, I was all over the place.  It was something I knew might happen when I enlisted.

But then again, how many jobs give you 30 days of paid vacation a year?  Free medical and dental, free housing, free food, clothing allowance, etc etc etc.

But I am once again outraged that somebody would try to use the Military to make a political statement.  I find it even worse that they do not even use real military, but people pretending to be military.

And once agian, I am not surprised that only a few of us in here seem to care.  Once again, it falls under the "only outraged if it affects you" department.  If the group just happens to be making a point you agree with, then you find nothing wrong with what is essentially a lie.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/01/05 at 4:15 pm

If "staged" photos are wrong, bad, propoganda etc for left/liberal groups, how come staged photo ops (mission accomplished on an aircraft carrier circling off San Diego) or speeches to screened "friendly" crowds etc are also not wrong, bad, propoganda?  And, as to the actual photos in moveon's piece, according to my authority on military procedure, while off duty, troops need not be in uniform, but can wear just about whatever they want.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/01/05 at 5:13 pm

If "staged" photos are wrong, bad, propoganda etc for left/liberal groups, how come staged photo ops (mission accomplished on an aircraft carrier circling off San Diego) or speeches to screened "friendly" crowds etc are also not wrong, bad, propoganda?

Written By: Tia on 12/01/05 at 5:18 pm

As I stated, I have problems when the Military is used for political games.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/05 at 12:25 am

well, you should ahve a big problem with the iraq war, then. but you appear not to.

That's because the Iraq war is part of the big power grab for the world's dwindling petroleum suppy by desperate oil despots...not games.

Written By: Ophrah on 12/02/05 at 1:46 am

First, what's the big deal whether they're wearing shorts or not?

Second, what's wrong with being partisan?  If you have a political view -- left right or center -- shouldn't you articulate it? 

Third, I don't agree that it's no big deal that people are missing the holidays, yes it's their job and everything, but it can't be any other way when you're at war, but they still deserve some empathy.

And why is the military above discussion and disagreement?  Can't people disagree about how troops should be deployed?  Why do some people construe every criticism of the war as some reprehensible unconscionable unpatriotic attack on the troops themselves?  Oh I remember now -- they're just being partisan.    ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/02/05 at 4:32 pm

Here's my take.  Branding the troops with the lt. Calley smear - they are all baby killers - is not good.  Recognizing that in war, people act inhumanely is simply being honest, no matter which side they are on.  Empathising with the poor dough boys at the front, evan for political purposes, is fair game.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/05 at 11:00 pm

Here's my take.

Written By: Tia on 12/02/05 at 11:13 pm

Lt. Calley was a scapegoat.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/03/05 at 12:12 pm

well, you should ahve a big problem with the iraq war, then. but you appear not to.

How is the Iraq war being used for political games by republicans?

Written By: Mushroom on 12/03/05 at 2:55 pm

How is the Iraq war being used for political games by republicans?

Don't you know?

Written By: Tia on 12/03/05 at 3:03 pm

Don't you know?

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/03/05 at 3:54 pm

From a lot of people in here, I have learned to not expect reasonable debate.  They know what they know, and facts do not matter worth a damn.  And their "facts" can come from a group like MoveOn, which they state is a valid news source.  And at the same time, they claim that Fox are all corrupt liars.

Don't expect consistancy.

I think several of us on the left/liberal side have often acknowledged that all news outlets are biased in one way or another, and I think it is disingenuous to say that "they know what they know..."  You conservatives stress the facts that suit your biases as much as the rest of us stress the facts that suit ours.  From my POV the big differance is that we left/liberals are always ready to question auhority while you on the right are always inclined to accept authority (except for Bubba).  As I think back on some old threads we left/liberals were none to friendly to much of what Clinton did, while, with one exception, you conservatives are willing to accept anything Lil' Georgie does.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/05 at 4:19 am

I'd prefer "Move on, George."
;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/04/05 at 4:58 pm

I, for one, had no idea who moveon was until I read this and can't recall it ever being used as a source of "facts".  However, I have seen drudge used MULTIPLE times as a "fact source".  How is that any different ???  Of course, anyone who is trying to prove an argument is going to use a "source" that backs up their beliefs and call those who disagree "liars".....

Well, I think to be fair, neither side on this board has accused the other of out right lying, ie making stuff up which they know not to be true, although we have accused Bush & crew of lying.  So it boils down to which of who's facts we choose to emphasize, and which we choose to ignore as less relevant, and that boild down to world view, or ideology if you like.

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/05/05 at 8:23 pm

As I stated, I have problems when the Military is used for political games.  If a group had a history of being nonpartaisan, then I can reasonably accept that they really care about the troops.  But when a grosely partaisan group like MoveOn uses them, it is simply a form of prostitution.

By your logic then, only non-partisan groups can express concrern about the troops?

The Bush administration stages little propaganda pieces with the military constantly.  Do you need a list of recent events?  Like the "informal" staged presidental rap session with the troops via satelitte two months ago?  How about flying the president into Iraq to be shown holding a turkey with the soldiers? Sending an aircraft carrier further out to sea for photoshoot in front of a big banner? Maybe halting all flights around New Orleans and grounding all military personal, making them put on their dress best to pose next to the president. Is it like the Republicans running ads mentioning 9/11 every other sentence, while cutting funds for New York for equipment (funds that are sent to rural districts unlikely to ever see a terrorist attack)?

How are those different? 

It's not wrong when it's the Republicans I guess.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/05/05 at 8:33 pm

Well, in many ads they use actors/replicas to appear as the real thing.  Ever notice at the bottom of the tv screen, it will say "Dramatization" or "Closed Course"?

As long as the advertiser is disclosing that they are using actors instead of the real deal, I don't see any law being violated.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/05/05 at 11:21 pm

MoveOn.org Restores Ad That Misidentifies 'US' Troops
CNS News
12/01/2005

(CNSNews.com) - After Cybercast News Service reported Wednesday that MoveOn.org had removed from its website a television advertisement stating that "150,000 American men and women are stuck in Iraq," the liberal group restored the spot to its site -- but without an accompanying picture that had been altered to cover the fact that one of the soldiers in the ad was wearing shorts, which are not part of the American combat uniform.

This is outrageous.  What's next?  Is the White House going to start hiring actors to pose as journalists in order to promote their policies?  I mean, that's the slippery slope we're heading towards here...  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/06/05 at 2:08 am

This is outrageous.

Written By: Tia on 12/07/05 at 2:20 pm

By your logic then, only non-partisan groups can express concrern about the troops?

are there any nonpartisan groups left?

Written By: Mushroom on 12/07/05 at 2:51 pm

are there any nonpartisan groups left?

American Red Cross
USO
ASPCA
American Medical Association
Doctors Without Borders

Those are just some that I have never seen take any kind of "long term" attachment to any political party.  This is opposed to some groups like NOW, who is so entrenched with the Democratic Party.  Or the CATO Institute, which is firmly entrenched with the Republican Party.  There is no way I can see either of those groups as "non partaisan".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/05 at 8:56 pm

This is outrageous.

Check for new replies or respond here...