» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: How stupid is New Orleans Mayor Roy Nagin?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 7:01 pm

IMO Nagin wins the Duncecap award for his shoddy handling of evacuations before and during Hurricane Katrina!
His police force is just as clueless!!

Subject: Re: How stupid is New Orleans Mayor Roy Nagin?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/05 at 7:14 pm

I'm sorry, I just don't think this poll is worth posting, let alone answering.  Last night I watched a conference on C-Span featuring Nagin, other officials, and citizens of New Orleans expressing their concerns.  The city is still a terrible mess.  The frustration and misery of the people shows no signs of abating.  The difference between now and September is the news media is trying to make it look like it's all a-ok!
::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 7:28 pm

I'm sorry, I just don't think this poll is worth posting, let alone answering.

Written By: FelineFrenzy on 12/04/05 at 9:42 pm

I agree.  Nagin is unfit to be mayor of ANY city, more or less a large city like New Orleans!!!  I'll be interested to watch the next election for mayor of New Orleans. 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 9:49 pm

:P

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/04/05 at 9:50 pm

New Orleans Police are a joke too! They were no help during the Katrina mess...and their nasty tactics I've heard about are absolutely DISGUSTING!

Written By: FelineFrenzy on 12/04/05 at 9:52 pm

:P

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/05/05 at 11:25 pm

Blah, blah, Nagin is a pinhead, blah, blah, Blanco is a crybaby, blah, blah, Bush doesn't like black people, blah, blah, Brown is an incompetent horse's butt. 

Ahhhhh, that was fanTAStic!  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/06/05 at 2:03 am

Blah, blah, Nagin is a pinhead, blah, blah, Blanco is a crybaby, blah, blah, Bush doesn't like black people, blah, blah, Brown is an incompetent horse's butt.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/06/05 at 3:58 am

Nagin is unfit to be mayor of ANY city, more or less a large city like New Orleans!!!

Written By: Mushroom on 12/06/05 at 10:00 am

New Orleans Police are a joke too! They were no help during the Katrina mess...and their nasty tactics I've heard about are absolutely DISGUSTING!

I would not go that far.

A lot of the police did stay on the job, working for over 2 weeks without going home, rescueing a lot of people, and honestly doing what they could with what was available to them.  The scale of the disaster was just overwhelming.

However, I have nothing good to say at all for the cops that left their jobs, joined in the looting, and abused their power during this time.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/06/05 at 12:59 pm

I would not go that far.

A lot of the police did stay on the job, working for over 2 weeks without going home, rescueing a lot of people, and honestly doing what they could with what was available to them.  The scale of the disaster was just overwhelming.

However, I have nothing good to say at all for the cops that left their jobs, joined in the looting, and abused their power during this time.

Ditto, just because someone is a cop doesn't mean the have an automatic halo.  They are just like the
rest of the population, some are saints, some are sinners, most are in the middle.d  I would say given the
size of the catastrophe there are a hellavu lot more saints and middles than sinners.  Bless them for what they had to see and do.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/06/05 at 3:22 pm

Nagin is IMO not doing his job..he had PLENTY of time before Katrina arrived to set things in motion as far as evacuation goes...He could have ORDERED that city buses be utilized FREE of charge to get people out and made that a public announcement..he could have conveyed to his city's residents just how BAD Katrina would be(I'm sure Nagin had access to The Weather Channel and National Weather Service reports)..and Nagin should not have felt totally safe that the levees would hold Katrina's monstrous storm surge and flooding at bay.

I honestly think here near the Jersey Shore we are more prepared for a hurricane than New Orleans was. Everyone here KNOWS about what happened in 1944 and 1962, both years when monster storms hit the Jersey Shore pretty hard..Gloria in 1985 had the potential makings of a disaster, but everyone in Atlantic City and other shore communities heeded the order to evacuate.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/06/05 at 4:12 pm

Nagin is IMO not doing his job..he had PLENTY of time before Katrina arrived to set things in motion as far as evacuation goes...He could have ORDERED that city buses be utilized FREE of charge to get people out and made that a public announcement

Actually, useing the city busses is part of the established SOP for Hurricane Preperation for New Orleans.  The Mayor ignored it and a lot of other things (food, water and security for the SuperDome is another area he ignored SOP).  He also failed to ask the Governor to mobilize the National Guard before Katrina hit (SOP stated that that should be requested 48-72 hours before a Cat 3 storm hits.  He had 96 hours warning that it would be a Cat 4-5, and still did nothing).

Mostly, I look at how NO handled it, and compare that to towns like Buloxi.  Mississippi got hit just as bad as NO did, and suffered even worse structural damage from the hurricane.  However, the number of deaths is only a fraction of those in NO.  That says something in and of itself.

Check for new replies or respond here...