» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Don't Joke About Having a Bomb at the Airport

Written By: Tia on 12/07/05 at 4:05 pm

didn't yo mama ever tell you that?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AIRPLANE_SHOOTING?SITE=OHALL&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&SECTION=HOME

"Dec 7, 3:53 PM EST

Airline Passenger Who Made Threat Killed

By JOHN PAIN
Associated Press Writer

MIAMI (AP) -- A passenger who claimed to have a bomb in a carry-on bag was shot and killed by a federal air marshal Wednesday on a jetway connected to an American Airlines plane that had just arrived at Miami International Airport from Colombia, officials said.

The man's name was not immediately released. He was a 44-year-old United States citizen, said Homeland Security Department spokeswoman Joanna Gonzalez.

Homeland Security spokesman Brian Doyle said after the plane had parked at the gate, a passenger indicated there was a bomb in the passenger's carryon bag. The passenger was confronted by air marshals but ran off the plane."

Subject: Re: Don't Joke About Having a Bomb at the Airport

Written By: witchain on 12/07/05 at 4:14 pm

They deserve a Darwin Award!

Written By: Tia on 12/07/05 at 4:19 pm

i guess it's possible he really had a bomb, but i have a hunch he was just messin' around. duh.

hello, new guy. did you post in the introduce yourself forum yet? :)

Written By: Tia on 12/07/05 at 4:26 pm

well, he's dead. turns out he was mentallly ill. i feel bad now.  :(

Written By: Marian on 12/07/05 at 4:29 pm

well, he's dead. turns out he was mentallly ill. i feel bad now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/05 at 8:38 pm

If he hadn't taken off a-running, he'd be alive tonight.  But maybe that's not what he wanted.  That air marshal wasn't terribly bright just open firing on a man who may have been wired with explosives.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/07/05 at 9:03 pm

Okay, what if he WAS carrying a bomb? And if you think that screeners in Colombia, where this flight ORIGINATED, are as up-to-date,tech-wise and as well-trained..don't be so quick to assume they'd be able to catch a supposed bomb in someone's backpack. Not all airports,worldwide, have decent security measures. Do you think a third-world country honestly could afford it?

this is from AOL news...http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051207144209990016&ncid=NWS00010000000001

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/05 at 9:06 pm

From what I hear he was bi-polar, didn't take his meds and had had a fight with his wife.  I wonder if it was suicide by cop?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/05 at 9:18 pm

From what I hear he was bi-polar, didn't take his meds and had had a fight with his wife.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/07/05 at 9:29 pm

I suspect my ex-husband was bipolar.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/07/05 at 10:35 pm

Hey, I have schizoaffective disorder, which is more like bipolar disorder than schizophrenia....even when I was actively 'in my illness' I never claimed to have a bomb in my backpack..but I did other stupid stuff like run away from home...I wonder why now the sky marshal killed this guy when his wife said he was just mentally ill and off his meds..I'm now thinking Mr. Sky Marshal jumped the gun, literally. I think the incident..and the sky marshal's reaction..should be investigated. Was it really necessary? Most likely not!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/07/05 at 10:38 pm

Hey, I have schizoaffective disorder, which is more like bipolar disorder than schizophrenia....even when I was actively 'in my illness' I never claimed to have a bomb in my backpack..but I did other stupid stuff like run away from home...I wonder why now the sky marshal killed this guy when his wife said he was just mentally ill and off his meds..I'm now thinking Mr. Sky Marshal jumped the gun, literally. I think the incident..and the sky marshal's reaction..should be investigated. Was it really necessary? Most likely not!

This sky marshal MUST be thoroughly investigated.  He killed a man in the line of duty, and there may be several law suits pending!

Written By: Mushroom on 12/08/05 at 12:50 pm

I wonder if it was suicide by cop?

That was my immediate thought when I heard of the incident.  It sounds a lot like it.

I'm now thinking Mr. Sky Marshal jumped the gun, literally. I think the incident..and the sky marshal's reaction..should be investigated. Was it really necessary? Most likely not!

And what should they have done?  Allow himself to "detonate" himself, just to prove if he had a bomb or not?  This is very similar to that guy in London a few months ago.  Both of these individuals would be alive today if they did one simple thing: not run from the cops.

And more and more terrorists and suicide bombers nowadays are comming from countries other then the middle east.  One of the suicide bombers last month was a Belgian female.

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/08/05 at 12:55 pm

I have bipolar disorder and take my meds.  a couple of times I forgot to take my meds and I was very irritable.  But I never would get on a plane and say I have a bomb.  Have bipolar and forgetting to take your meds is no excuse for doing something so stupid like that.  And what about his wife?  If his wife was so concerned about him having bipolar she would force him to take his meds. 
The marshal was in a no win situation, IMHO.  If he didn't do anything and the guy DID have a bomb he would be criticized, and I'm afraid he's going to be criticized for shooting him because this guy didn't have a bomb and he suffered from bipolar.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 12/08/05 at 1:11 pm

This sky marshal MUST be thoroughly investigated.

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/08/05 at 1:21 pm

Darwins theory of natural selection at work and at its best!! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/08/05 at 6:57 pm

Some of these comments are inane.  The guy was mentally ill -- what part of that is so difficult to understand?  He didn't 'deserve' to get shot -- his behavior was erratic, threatening and suspicious and the marshal did the only reasonable thing under the circumstances.  Christ.
::)

Written By: Tia on 12/08/05 at 8:18 pm

^yeah i started off being kinda flip about it but then the guy died and i just found the whole thing sad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/05 at 8:26 pm

He said "bomb" in a large sensitive pubic place, reached into a suspicious looking bag, and ran away from the authorities.

Written By: Skippy on 12/08/05 at 8:56 pm

On the other side, we have a local program host here in the Valley who shall go unnamed.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/08/05 at 9:01 pm

If a case goes to trial perhaps the judge will find just that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/05 at 9:15 pm

Sounds like you've got a Scientologist there!

You better believe I take my meds. If I didn't I'd be in my grave, my schizoaffective disorder and major depression when not controlled by meds gives me compulsive thoughts to take my own life.

Well, yeah, Tony and Skippy, the guy is irresponsible, and my observations make me conclude he has some serious psychiatric issues himself.  He's not a Scientologist, he's merely self-righteous (which is a big pre-requeisite for Scientology), my guess is he's had some negative experiences with the psychiatic profession (I sure have, doesn't mean I throw out the baby with the bathwater) and is getting his petty revenge by badmouthing him on the little low-power FM station, and the monthly conferences his organization holds.  My fear is that a recalcitrant person with bipolarity or schizophrenia (of which there are many) will take up with his cause and end up hurting himself or somebody else.
:o

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/08/05 at 9:33 pm

If a case goes to trial perhaps the judge will find just that.

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/08/05 at 9:48 pm

The guy didn't deserve to die, but if he's not going to cooperate with the marshals then he's going to suffer the concequences.  I was watching a report on NBC and they interviewed someone who mentioned that they're going to do what they can do, and that the wife could have been saying he's bipolar as a way to preoccupy the marshal's so the guy could set off the bomb.  It's just a whole sad situation. 

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/08/05 at 10:02 pm

I was watching a report on NBC and they interviewed someone who mentioned that they're going to do what they can do, and that the wife could have been saying he's bipolar as a way to preoccupy the marshal's so the guy could set off the bomb.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/08/05 at 10:46 pm

A terrorist could also have an accomplice who's masquerading as a marshal who 'shoots' the terrorist with blanks, so everyone thinks the situation's under control and lets down their guard so the terrorist can blow the entire airport to bits!

What? It could happen...

Written By: thenewwavechick on 12/09/05 at 12:03 am

I heard this morning on the radio about El Al (sp, the Isreali airline) shoots those who threaten the safety of the passengers and they haven't had any issues for a long time. 

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/09/05 at 12:05 am

A terrorist could also have an accomplice who's masquerading as a marshal who 'shoots' the terrorist with blanks, so everyone thinks the situation's under control and lets down their guard so the terrorist can blow the entire airport to bits!

What? It could happen...
Yes, but if his accomplice was a phony air marshal, then how would he get his gun past airport security?

HA! I just thwarted your fiendish plot! Have fun down in Guano Bay... :D

Written By: Mistress Leola on 12/09/05 at 1:13 am

Yes, but if his accomplice was a phony air marshal, then how would he get his gun past airport security?

HA! I just thwarted your fiendish plot! Have fun down in Guano Bay... :D

Airport security?  They're part of my team too.
MWAH-HA-HA

;)

Written By: IanWinn on 12/09/05 at 3:31 am

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1138965,00.html

At least one passenger aboard American Airlines Flight 924 maintains the federal air marshals were a little too quick on the draw when they shot and killed Rigoberto Alpizar as he frantically attempted to run off the airplane shortly before take-off.

"I don't think they needed to use deadly force with the guy," says John McAlhany, a 44-year-old construction worker from Sebastian, Fla. "He was getting off the plane." McAlhany also maintains that Alpizar never mentioned having a bomb.

"I never heard the word 'bomb' on the plane," McAlhany told TIME in a telephone interview. "I never heard the word bomb until the FBI asked me did you hear the word bomb. That is ridiculous." Even the authorities didn't come out and say bomb, McAlhany says. "They asked, 'Did you hear anything about the b-word?'" he says. "That's what they called it."

When the incident began McAlhany was in seat 24C, in the middle of the plane. " was in the back," McAlhany says, "a few seats from the back bathroom. He sat down." Then, McAlhany says, "I heard an argument with his wife. He was saying 'I have to get off the plane.' She said, 'Calm down.'"

Alpizar took off running down the aisle, with his wife close behind him. "She was running behind him saying, 'He's sick. He's sick. He's ill. He's got a disorder," McAlhany recalls. "I don't know if she said bipolar disorder . She was trying to explain to the marshals that he was ill. He just wanted to get off the plane."

Skip to this tidbit:

McAlhany says he tried to see what was happening just in case he needed to take evasive action. "I wanted to make sure if anything was coming toward me and they were killing passengers I would have a chance to break somebody's neck," he says. "I was looking through the seats because I wanted to see what was coming.

"I was on the phone with my brother. Somebody came down the aisle and put a shotgun to the back of my head and said put your hands on the seat in front of you. I got my cell phone karate chopped out of my hand. Then I realized it was an official."

In the ensuing events, many of the passengers began crying in fear, he recalls. "They were pointing the guns directly at us instead of pointing them to the ground," he says "One little girl was crying. There was a lady crying all the way to the hotel."

Sounds to me like the Marshalls were itching for a chance to kill someone.  It sounds like the case of Charles de Menzes, the man who was murdered by the police at a London subway station.  They first said that he was running and wearing a long, heavy jacket; then they said that he was walking and wearing a denim jacket; they finally admitted that he was sitting on a bench in a light jacket, and they just walked up to him and shot him dead.

I'm at the point in my life where I wouldn't believe anything the major press says to me.

Assume nothing.  Verify.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/09/05 at 9:54 am

Some of these comments are inane.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/09/05 at 9:59 am

"I never heard the word 'bomb' on the plane," McAlhany told TIME in a telephone interview. "I never heard the word bomb until the FBI asked me did you hear the word bomb. That is ridiculous." Even the authorities didn't come out and say bomb, McAlhany says. "They asked, 'Did you hear anything about the b-word?'" he says. "That's what they called it."

The claim that there was a bomb was not made on the plane, it was made at the security checkpoint on the concourse.

And yea, let's take the word of a construction worker over a law enforcement officer if something is needed.  And the next time I need a second opinion from my doctor, I think I will go to a plumber instead.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/09/05 at 10:52 am

Airport security?

Written By: IanWinn on 12/09/05 at 11:13 am

The claim that there was a bomb was not made on the plane, it was made at the security checkpoint on the concourse.

And yea, let's take the word of a construction worker over a law enforcement officer if something is needed.  And the next time I need a second opinion from my doctor, I think I will go to a plumber instead.

You're missing the point, dude.  The guy was RIGHT THERE, and he says that the word BOMB was not even mentioned until after the victim was shot; it's like the Federal Marshalls were trying to put that word into people's heads.

Re-read the complete article, and you'll find that the situation stinks.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/09/05 at 11:30 am

You're missing the point, dude.

Written By: IanWinn on 12/09/05 at 11:35 am

I must disagree with you.

If the victim claimed he had a bomb at the security checkout, HOW THE HELL DID HE GET ON THE PLANE?  Remember, he got on the plane, and then his medication wore off and he started scrambling to get off the plane.  To say that he told the security screeners, "I have a bomb", and then be allowed to board the plane, is either grand stupidity on the part of the screeners (possible) OR what we have been originally told is an absolute fabrication.  It just doesn't follow logic.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/09/05 at 4:53 pm

And how many people have been injured and killed by people who are mentally ill?

Jeffrey Dahmer was mentally ill.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/09/05 at 5:03 pm

Yes, people with sociopathology, psychopathology, and anti-social personality disorders CAN be extremely dangerous.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/09/05 at 11:12 pm

if the perp had the bomb in his backpack wouldn't the TSA screeners have caught it thru using the scanners they have and done something to keep him off the plane, or are scanners such X-ray or electronic 'wand' devices unable to detect any kind of explosives?

Written By: Tia on 12/10/05 at 7:12 am

i think those wand thangs are for handguns, knives, metal stuff. there's this peculiar gizmo they have for detecting explosives -- it's sensitive to the chemicals -- but i fly a lot and i've only seen it used once.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/05 at 3:06 pm

The era of cheap fossil fuels is drawing rapidly to a close.  This air piracy and terrorism panic will be easier to manage with far fewer flights and far fewer people flying.

Written By: IanWinn on 12/10/05 at 4:53 pm

Re: "Fossil Fuels", there doesn't seem to be an actual end.  There are reports available showing that there is plenty of oil in the ground, and that the Earth also replenishes it's supply.  There are also reports of oil wells that have been capped because they "ran dry", and now there is so much oil in them that it is seeping through the cap!  Why else would prices have dropped so much in the last 8 weeks or so?  Here in my part of Idaho, gas peaked at a little over $3/gallon, and now it's less that $2/gallon.  Why?  Because scientists and people who work in the oil fields have come forth with evidence of the above.

The link here:  http://www.infowars.com/articles/economy/peak_oil_globalist_scam.htm  is a good place to start.  Type "peak oil scam" into Google and see what comes up.

We're under a fascist/neo-fuedalist system.  The sooner you wake up to that, the sooner you can act upon it, whatever action you are led to do.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/05 at 10:20 pm

Re: "Fossil Fuels", there doesn't seem to be an actual end.

Written By: Tia on 12/10/05 at 11:15 pm

kunstler's cool, but he's no jane jacobs. her dark age book is brilliant. i forget the name but it's "dark age" something...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/11/05 at 5:53 pm

We have past peak production.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/11/05 at 5:58 pm

Hey, I've got a bomb!...if someone is suicidal and wants to end it all, they could go to Atlantic City International Airport..just say those words..
Just kidding. folks. This guy getting killed because he MIGHT have a bomb and he happens to have bipolar disorder...horrible.

Check for new replies or respond here...