» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: No Saint George's Day we're British !

Written By: Gis on 12/08/05 at 2:33 am

Would you believe a pub landlord has lost his high court case to celebrate St. Georges day and display the St Georges flag on the day Iit has been decided that we should't celebrate the patron saint of Britain incase someone who's not British gets offended !?!
We are however allowed to celebrate St. Patricks day and St.David's day.Could you imagine going to Ireland on march the 17th and saying sorry, no I'm afraid you can't have a night out down the pub in Patrick's honour it might upset someone................ 

It appears that the fact someone of another religion/race might 'possibly' getting upset is more important than upseting the rest of the nation and they wonder why racism is back on the rise. ::)

Subject: Re: No Saint George's Day we're British !

Written By: karen on 12/08/05 at 4:29 am

It doesn't surprise me though Gis.  It's like the local town hall having a "Happy Holidays" banner when it used to be "A Merry Christmas" banner.

St George is also the patron saint of Scouting so we hold a parade every year in his honour.

Written By: McDonald on 12/09/05 at 11:35 am

As I have always understood it, St. George is the patron saint of ENGLAND. St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland, and St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, and I don't know which one is the patron saint of Wales, but it's not St. George.

Perhaps it's to encourage unity amongst the four British nations, instead of fostering feelings of regional autonomy. Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales all have their own languages and national identities seperate from those of England, and each one has an active Republican movement. Perhaps this is an effort to combat those tendencies by showing British solidarity in England itself. I could be wrong. And I'm not saying that I agree with the policy. I think people should be able to celebrate any holiday they wish, for whatever reason.

Written By: Paul on 12/11/05 at 11:13 am

As I have always understood it, St. George is the patron saint of ENGLAND. St. Andrew is the patron saint of Scotland, and St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, and I don't know which one is the patron saint of Wales, but it's not St. George.

It's St. David...

Perhaps it's to encourage unity amongst the four British nations, instead of fostering feelings of regional autonomy.

No, it's because everyone 'hates' the big, bad English...!

They don't seem to mind our money though...

Did the Scottish parliament, Welsh and Northern Irish assemblies come into being with nothing but 'local' taxes?

Hm...I didn't think so either...!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 11:17 am

Does the Isle of Man have a Patron Saint?

Written By: Paul on 12/11/05 at 11:22 am

Does the Isle of Man have a Patron Saint?

I had to look it up, but indeed they do...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 11:27 am

I had to look it up, but indeed they do...
Maughold, never heard of him.

Check for new replies or respond here...