» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Explosion of fuel depot near London!

Written By: IanWinn on 12/11/05 at 3:25 am

I am writing this at 1:06 AM MST.  I have just seen a report on CNN that an explosion has happened at a fuel depot about 40 km north of London, near Luton Airport. So far, reporters are saying that it was NOT caused by an airplane (no one heard or saw any aircraft in the area).  The possibility of terrorism has already been broached.  Currently, they are saying that it is an accident, but that's gonna change, I guaran-damn-tee it.

Is this another part of the elitists plans?  Probably.  The results?  As far as I can see, in the short term, British gas prices will go up.  In the long term, the elites' puppets will probably use this as an excuse to impose more restrictions on travel, especially "around or near sensitive areas."

To all our friends in Great Britian, I pray that God Almighty holds you in the palm of His hand, and keeps you as the apple of His eye. Batten down the hatches if you need to, and hold on to your hats, 'cuz your ride through this little excursion called life is about to get alot bumpier.

Subject: Re: Explosion of fuel depot near London!

Written By: IanWinn on 12/11/05 at 3:31 am

It may be interesting to note that at the same time that CNN ran that story, TNT (another Turner operation) was about halfway through showing "Starship Troopers".

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 4:15 am

I just been watching this on the news and the smoke looks very bad. Myself I am around 30 miles from the source of the plumes of smoke and it does seem the clouds are darking over here, being south, the direction of the smoke.

The fire bridage talk of starving the flames, letting it burn off, before tackling the flames.

Written By: Paul on 12/11/05 at 4:36 am

Yes, it looks pretty fierce...

Apparently, the explosions could be heard as far away as Essex & Kent, but I can't say they woke me up!

I can't see any of the smoke, but I'm in a bit of an awkward position...

The fire bridage talk of starving the flames, letting it burn off, before tackling the flames.

Well there's no way they'd get anywhere near it, given the ferocity of the blaze, so this is probably not the time for the fire hoses!

Let's see...six quid a gallon after Christmas?!!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/05 at 8:25 am

They have it on the news over here.  They are saying that it is not attributed to terrorism,  I don't know if they are
saying that just to be reassuring though.  Where exactly was it, I can look it up on the map.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 8:32 am

They have it on the news over here.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/05 at 8:42 am

The location it just west of Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire (north of London). The actual refinery is next to the M1 motorway.

Here in London, there is a slight smoke haze in the air cause by all this.

Thanks, it helps when trying to understand the story. 

Written By: Paul on 12/11/05 at 8:59 am

Here in London, there is a slight smoke haze in the air cause by all this.

It's been drifting in my direction for most of the morning...

Rather strange, as there's an ominous looking black cloud on one side of the house, while the rear is still bathed in sunshine...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 9:06 am

I just been watching the news, and the police do warn of the possibility on more explosions.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/11/05 at 10:21 am

Anything to do with any kind of fuel is a volatile situation.  I live a couple of miles from where oil and
natural gas is stored and it is something that is always in the back of your mind.  They figure if anything
happened the whole of metropolitan Boston would be in a very serious situation.  Are they evacuating
people?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 10:29 am

Several years back there was a similar event at Milford Haven, but there that time it was miles from residental property and by the coast.

Written By: Paul on 12/11/05 at 11:06 am

Are they evacuating people?

As far as I know, the only people being evacuated are those who were close enough to the blast to have their windows blown out...

Those in the vicinity whose properties are unscathed are being told to stay indoors with the doors and windows shut...

The nearest major motorway (the M1) has been closed off, which is probably not so much a problem as of now...but come tomorrow morning's rush hour...ouch!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 5:23 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/in_pictures_buncefield_fuel_depot_blast/img/1.jpg

The huge amount of smoke produced by the fire is indicated by the black and grey area to the south of the depot visible on this UK satellite image taken a few hours after the blast.

Written By: philbo on 12/11/05 at 5:28 pm

My wife tells me the bang was quite loud, but it takes more than a few million exploding gallons of petrol fifteen miles away to wake me up... the plume of smoke was visible from the road in front of my house (I'm basically slap bang in the middle of the cloud in that picture above)

...but I'm going a different route into work tomorrow: my usual path runs less than a mile from the blaze.  Such excitement, eh?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/11/05 at 6:57 pm

Whatever the cause, it's a filthy stinking mess.  Perhaps there's a silver lining--it happened on a Sunday morning, so the casualties were very low--if any, I haven't heard.
It'll cost a king's ransom to clean up in the aftermath.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/05 at 7:21 pm

Whatever the cause, it's a filthy stinking mess.

Written By: karen on 12/12/05 at 5:42 am

This is the latest BBC News report

42 people were injured, two seriously.  The fire brgade plan to try and smother the fire today with a blanket of foam.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/05 at 6:00 am

This is the latest BBC News report

42 people were injured, two seriously.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/12/05 at 6:29 am

If it rained today, would it help or hamper the operation?

It could make it worse.  The water could make the oil spread out more, I am sure they are using foam
to contain it, but still water doesn't help.

Written By: karen on 12/12/05 at 6:30 am

If it was typical british drizzle then it would be an annoyance and not at all useful.

Written By: Paul on 12/12/05 at 5:26 pm

I don't know whether it rained in the area today...I don't think it did...

However, more of a problem would be the effectiveness of the foam...if the inferno's too fierce (like it was yesterday), then the foam will just be 'melted' by it...

But, to all intents and purposes, it seems to have been going okay...

Written By: marthadtox3 on 12/12/05 at 7:42 pm

On Dec. 7, an Islamic website ran an excerpt of an earlier videotape in which bin Laden

Written By: marthadtox3 on 12/12/05 at 7:53 pm

Zarqawi 'to attack Europe'
28/08/2005 19:01  - (SA)

Washington - Iraq's most wanted militant, Jordanian Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who, as al-Qaeda's pointman in Iraq has claimed responsibility for dozens of attacks, is overseeing preparations for a major attack in Europe, Time magazine claimed on Sunday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/05 at 2:45 am

Another image of London on Sunday, taken some thirty miles away from Canary Wharf (the tallest building in the UK) over looking the Millennium Dome showing the extent of the smoke clouds.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41112000/jpg/_41112398_adam_strudwick.jpg

Written By: karen on 12/13/05 at 4:57 am

Here's the latest news

They have stopped the fires in all but three of the tanks and hope to have the remaining fires out by lunchtime today.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 12/13/05 at 5:01 am

That's good news Karen - I'd heard the noxious clouds were on their way down to Sussex too!

Written By: karen on 12/13/05 at 5:04 am

According to the beeb the wind is changing direction to blow the smoke more to the south.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/05 at 5:08 am

That's good news Karen - I'd heard the noxious clouds were on their way down to Sussex too!
the explosions where heard in Sussex.

Written By: karen on 12/13/05 at 9:21 am

They have stopped the fires in all but three of the tanks and hope to have the remaining fires out by lunchtime today.

Change "lunchtime today" to read "by the end of the day"

Written By: philbo on 12/13/05 at 5:53 pm

Well, it looks like they did manage to get them all out today.

Written By: marthadtox3 on 12/13/05 at 7:05 pm

well there had to be one!!!!!!!

December 12, 2005

Al Quaeda Threat Made Good As British Government Invokes

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/05 at 9:27 pm

If it was a terrorist act, wouldn't they try to blow up the Canar Wharf, not just a site near the Canary Wharf?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/05 at 4:23 am

If it was a terrorist act, wouldn't they try to blow up the Canar Wharf, not just a site near the Canary Wharf?
Canary Wharf is some 30 miles miles away!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 12/14/05 at 2:35 pm

Yes that area of high end capitalism, and now the new 'home' of relocated Fleet Street journo's and newspaper bosses etc would be a good target - but remember it really was a target in 1986, or at least the South Quay area was, when just as the place was just nearing completion all the buildings were blown to smithereens, not by islamic fundamentalists,

Written By: philbo on 12/14/05 at 4:02 pm

Al Quaeda Threat Made Good As British Government Invokes ‘Official Secret Act’ After Hijacked Air France A300 Jetliner Destroys London Air Fuel Depot

You'd think if someone's going to come up with a conspiracy theory, they'd at least come up with a credible one: the British government wouldn't be capable (or even competent) trying to cover up the hijacking and self-destruction of an Air France Airbus, FFS... had a look at the rest of that site, and I'm still not sure whether it's supposed to be a spoof...

Written By: marthadtox3 on 12/14/05 at 7:10 pm

It could be a dodgy conspiracy theory perpetrated by those who wish to discredit all conspiract theories!

Written By: Gis on 12/15/05 at 9:15 am

I'm pretty sure if it was terrorists they wouldn't have done it at 6.00am on a sunday when there was noone around.Far more likely to do it on a monday morning when all the surrounding offices would have been full of people..........

The blast woke me up and I live in Oxfordshire ! I thought my boiler had blown up, one of my work collegues thought their chimney had come down !

Written By: marthadtox3 on 12/15/05 at 10:39 am

It woke me up too I thought it was a burglar!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/15/05 at 10:52 am

I slept through the whole night soundly, waking up at 8:30am, not realising what had happened for around half-hour.

Written By: philbo on 12/15/05 at 6:51 pm

It could be a dodgy conspiracy theory perpetrated by those who wish to discredit all conspiract theories!

ROFL!  That's funny on so many different levels...

Check for new replies or respond here...