» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Australia- What's Going On

Written By: danootaandme on 12/12/05 at 5:20 pm

I just saw a news item about white people going into Sidney and destroying property and beating
up people of Arab descent.  I looked real scary to me.  Then your Prime Minister comes on and says
that there isn't racism in Australia-well it would be the only place on the planer, what would possess
him to say that.  How bad was it and has it cooled off?

Subject: Re: Australia- What's Going On

Written By: karen on 12/13/05 at 4:53 am

I found a few links on the BBC site about this.  Here's one about the reaction of the Aus press

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4522326.stm

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/05 at 5:11 am

Was there recently a foiled terrorism plot in Sydney?

Written By: Zoso on 12/13/05 at 5:33 am

A group of Arab men attacked a lifeguard in Sydney. Then a group of white people started sending text message to all their buddies, organising a retaliation the next night. Then the next night a whole lot of white people showed up ready to attack any middle-eastern-looking person they saw. There was one middle-eastern man at the beach with his two children and they attacked all of them, even the kids. The girl was thrown into the waves and she couldn't swim. But some sane people went in and saved her. It's terrible what happened. But nothing further has happened to my knowledge. The government is bringing in new laws because of it. My fear is they'll bring in some sort of segregation law, and I don't want that.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/13/05 at 6:24 am

A group of Arab men attacked a lifeguard in Sydney. Then a group of white people started sending text message to all their buddies, organising a retaliation the next night. Then the next night a whole lot of white people showed up ready to attack any middle-eastern-looking person they saw. There was one middle-eastern man at the beach with his two children and they attacked all of them, even the kids. The girl was thrown into the waves and she couldn't swim. But some sane people went in and saved her. It's terrible what happened. But nothing further has happened to my knowledge. The government is bringing in new laws because of it. My fear is they'll bring in some sort of segregation law, and I don't want that.

If I was middle eastern looking (oops, I am middle eastern looking actually)  in that area now I would be afraid for my family and myself.  It said that the initial crowd was 5000.  How do 5000 people descend on an area without anyone in authority getting somekind of notice and doing something to stop it?  may be a bit naive, I can see something like this happening here in the USA, but for some reason I thought Australia didn't have that particular kind of widespread ugliness.

Subject: This is what

Written By: Powerslave on 12/14/05 at 1:41 am

OK, here

Written By: Zoso on 12/15/05 at 7:16 am

I'm lucky I don't live in Sydney. I'm not middle-eastern, but I have light-brown skin so I might be mistaken for a middle-eastern person. I'm definately staying away from any of this ugliness. I hate what is happening and I think it is giving Australia a bad reputation. This is the first time anything this extreme has happened, so I think it's unfair that other countries are so quick to judge us. We are accepting of different races. I live in the Brisbane area and I have white friends, Aboriginal friends, Sudanese friends, Asian friends, Islander friends etc. I went to a school where we had more than 20 different races, and everyone got along for the most part.

Subject: Re: This is what

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/16/05 at 8:23 am

OK, here

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 12/16/05 at 8:31 am

I'm lucky I don't live in Sydney. I'm not middle-eastern, but I have light-brown skin so I might be mistaken for a middle-eastern person. I'm definately staying away from any of this ugliness. I hate what is happening and I think it is giving Australia a bad reputation. This is the first time anything this extreme has happened, so I think it's unfair that other countries are so quick to judge us. We are accepting of different races. I live in the Brisbane area and I have white friends, Aboriginal friends, Sudanese friends, Asian friends, Islander friends etc. I went to a school where we had more than 20 different races, and everyone got along for the most part.

Yep, I concur with Zoso as well.  I too live in Brisbane and it has a large mix of other cultures, and this sort of thing has not been an issue here.

I do think it gives Aus a bad name, but I hope that people keep it in perspective as well.  Let's not forget, it is in the media's interests to make things into a story (I am not suggesting that this was NOT newsworthy) and I suggest that a 'new' story like this was akin to 'manna from heaven' for them, and didn't they go into a feeding frenzy over it  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 12/16/05 at 4:13 pm

I have a friend who moved from here to Melbourne, has been there for about 25 years or so, she is
white and said that the atmosphere there has always been good, that was why I was so surprised
to hear the story.  Over here they made it sound like 5000 people text messaged each other and
had one of those gatherings like they do, but they did it for the sole purpose of beating up anyone
who wasn't white.  I was in shock.  I keyed in right away because I was hoping that there was more to
the story than rampaging supremacists.  It was still an ugly incident on both sides, but I have faith
cooler heads, and hearts will prevail. 

Written By: Tbullsr on 12/20/05 at 5:12 pm

;D I for one thinks it's great that somewhere in this world White people are finally saying enough is enough. I say good job and don't take anymore crap.  Enough with the P.C. attitudes that exist everywhere. Anyone who lets others treat them like fools or is afraid to stop crime becuase they are afraid to offend someone is a fool.

Merry Christmas. If Merry Christmas offends you, well, to bad.  :\'(

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/05 at 7:33 pm

;D I for one thinks it's great that somewhere in this world White people are finally saying enough is enough. I say good job and don't take anymore crap.  Enough with the P.C. attitudes that exist everywhere. Anyone who lets others treat them like fools or is afraid to stop crime becuase they are afraid to offend someone is a fool.

Merry Christmas. If Merry Christmas offends you, well, to bad.  :\'(

oooooh, somebodies a bit testy.  I had to go back and read your other posts and I do believe
you are a boarder using an alias.  Come on fess up...

Check for new replies or respond here...