» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Source: Mitt Romney won't run for re-election

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/14/05 at 3:34 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051214/ap_on_el_gu/romney2006

If he doesn't run, you can bank on seeing him as a candidate for the republican nomination for president.

Subject: Re: Source: Mitt Romney won't run for re-election

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/14/05 at 4:31 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051214/ap_on_el_gu/romney2006

If he doesn't run, you can bank on seeing him as a candidate for the republican nomination for president.

Ho Hum

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/05 at 5:09 pm

Good riddance to bad rubbish, as my grandmother used to say!
:)

I don't think he'll get the Republican nomination either.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/14/05 at 7:21 pm

It's official now, Romney isn't running for reelection.  Massachusetts democrats won't get a chance to squash his dreams of being president in the 2006 governor's race.

"He doesn't want to run for re-election because he could possibly get beat," he said. "And he doesn't want to run for re-election because he could possibly win, and then have to turn around and start running for president immediately."

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/14/05 at 8:57 pm

"He doesn't want to run for re-election because he could possibly get beat," he said. "And he doesn't want to run for re-election because he could possibly win, and then have to turn around and start running for president immediately."

"possibly win"?  his approval rating isn't what you would call stellar here.  He won't be missed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/14/05 at 10:00 pm

"possibly win"?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/14/05 at 11:22 pm

I was shocked he won the governership.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/05 at 7:16 am

You can always call him by his first name, Willard.

I know, I know, but it's like using the true name of the devil, old scratch, king of the flies--ill fortunte may visit upon me if I do!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/teufel/devil-smiley-088.gif

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/15/05 at 9:05 am

I was shocked he won the governership.  I'm uneasy now about a possible President Mitt.  Anything's possible.
:o

I doubt it.  McCain has better name recognition, and isn't entirely hated by the left.

Mitt on the other hand lied the entire time he ran for office, and began bad mouthing the state everywhere he went last year.  Who in their right mind would look at this guy as a candidate for a higher office?  Can you see him going to China and bad mouthing the US?

He claims to have accomplished a lot while in Massachusetts, but doesn't name anything he did.  Wonder why?  He had one foot out the door the entire time he was in the office.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/05 at 9:15 pm

I doubt it.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/15/05 at 9:36 pm

I was shocked he won the governership.

You sure Romney didn't steal the election?  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/15/05 at 10:03 pm

You sure Romney didn't steal the election?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/16/05 at 6:50 am

Mitts agenda all along has been to use the govenorship as a springboard to the Presidency.  He hasn't done anything in this state that wasn't calculated to give him some kind of presidential credibility.
We always knew he wouldn't be here for a second round, he never got into the ring for the first.  The
only thing I am looking forward to now is  Deval Patrick in the big seat. 

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/17/05 at 12:32 pm

Is America ready to elect a Mormon as its President?
The UK Times
12/16/2005

HE MADE millions as a businessman, saved the scandal-plagued 2002 Winter Olympics, appeals to social conservatives, is liked by moderates, boasts chiselled good looks and has been a successful Republican governor in one of America’s most liberal states. In Mitt Romney, the Massachusetts Governor who all but threw his hat into the 2008 presidential race yesterday, Republicans have the almost perfect candidate. Except for one potential problem: Mr Romney is a Mormon.

After announcing that he would not be seeking a second term as Massachusetts governor, a widely anticipated move that clears the way for a 2008 White House bid, Mr Romney implicitly posed a fascinating political question: can a Mormon win enough votes to become President of the United States?

Mr Romney, whom analysts on both sides of the political divide say will be a serious contender in 2008, was elected governor of Massachusetts — one of the bluest of Democrat blue states — as a social moderate. In the past year, however, he has changed his stance on social issues important to religious conservatives, the base of the Republican Party that wields enormous influence in the Republican primary race. Mr Romney once said that abortion should be “safe and legal”, but now opposes it. He denounced the decision by the Massachusetts Supreme Court to legalise gay marriage. Calling himself a “red speck in a blue state”, he has emphasised socially conservative positions on the death penalty, stem-cell research and birth control.

But Manuel Miranda, head of the Third Branch Conference, an alliance of conservative groups, said that many evangelicals view Mormonism — the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints — as a cult. Mr Miranda said that in 2000 he worked for Orrin Hatch, the Utah senator and a Mormon, during his unsuccessful bid for the Republican nomination. “Hatch had a poll done. He found that over 60 per cent of Americans would not vote for a Mormon.”

Richard Cizik, of the National Association of Evangelicals, said that Mormons were not Christians, and that profound doctrinal divisions would shape reactions to Mr Romney as a candidate for the White House. The view among evangelicals might change if Mr Romney’s main opponent is Rudy Giuliani, the former New York Mayor, who is socially moderate and supports abortion.

Frank Luntz, a Republican pollster, believes that Mr Romney’s religion will not be a significant issue. His biggest problem, Mr Luntz said, is that he comes from Massachusetts. Although he balanced the state’s budget, lowered taxes and improved education, “the last time Massachusetts produced a Republican candidate was never”.

Mr Romney may also face the charge of being a “flip-flopper” — an accusation that did so much damage to the last presidential candidate from Massachusetts with impossibly thick hair: John Kerry.

The last president to come from Massachusetts was John Kennedy, who successfully overcame concerns about being the first Roman Catholic in the White House.

Mr Romney can also take encouragement from the experience of his Mormon father, George Romney, who was Governor of Michigan. His 1968 presidential bid imploded after he said that he had been “brainwashed” into supporting the Vietnam War. “But until then,” Steve Hess, of the Brookings Institution, said, “there was no question he could have been elected.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1934123,00.html

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/05 at 2:54 pm

Mitts agenda all along has been to use the govenorship as a springboard to the Presidency.

Check for new replies or respond here...