» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: NSA spies on American Citizens

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/16/05 at 3:19 pm

It was reported today in The new York Times and on CNN that the National Security Agency has been spying on Americans, had as +/- 500 people under survailance at any given time.  It gets no warrents and submits to no extra agency accountability.  It can read your e-mail, trace your phone calls etc.

Big Brother is watching!

Subject: Re: NSA spies on American Citizens

Written By: danootaandme on 12/16/05 at 4:14 pm

Bushworld-2001-2008

Written By: John Jenkins on 12/16/05 at 4:53 pm

The New York Times

Written By: Mushroom on 12/16/05 at 5:56 pm

As a result of this program, a terrorist plot involving convicted al Qaeda operative Lyman Faris was uncovered, possibly saving untold lives, not to mention New York bridges and Washington, DC trains.

But that does not matter.  If they spy on even 1 innocent person, then it is wrong and should be stopped.  Right?

Personally, this is another "big yawner" for me.  Who cares?  And do you think your e-mail and phone calls are very secure in the first place?  I can (and have) monitored home cordless phones and cell phones with a scanner I bought for $200 from Radio Shack.  I have used packet sniffers, and monitored the internet activity of hundreds of people living in my community.

Once again, so what?

This is mostly a simple case of paranoia.  And it is not like they Government does anything with the data they collect.  As we all know, the vast majority of it (99.999999998%) simply goes into storage, never to be seen again.  In fact, the greatest asset of such information normally comes after the fact.  Then, they can go back and find what was recorded in the past, knowing what to look for.  This is a lot of what happened after 9/11.  Once they realized what happened, they were able to go back and find the information that was there all along.

I think one thing that always amazes me is that people will go "But it was there all the time", and at the same time protest that it was collected in the first place.  You simply can't have it both ways.  Even if Mr. Nichols went to the FBI and told them Tim McVey was going to blow up a Federal Building, they more then likely could not have stopped him unless they broke the rules.  So once again, so what?

And of course, if they miss the next attack, you will have a lot of the same people claiming "but they had the information all along", and useing that they will bash whoever is available.

And once agin, I was useing a "generic they".  I was not talking about anybody in particular on this board or anywhere else, simply the pundets and chronic complainers who must attack the Government at any opertunity.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/16/05 at 8:43 pm

Yes, I guess it is better for us all to lay down and aquiece to the taking away of our freedoms one person, one right, at a time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/05 at 8:58 pm

No surprise there.  The 500 plus or minus figure is probably about ten or twenty times too low, but there we are...  It's no more offensive to me than the credit bureaus.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/16/05 at 9:47 pm

It was reported today in The new York Times

Isn't it funny that The New York Times sat on this story for about one year until the day the U.S. senate was to vote on the patriot act?

Written By: IanWinn on 12/17/05 at 1:22 am

Mushroom - And just what do you do with this illegally obtained information?

Written By: Skippy on 12/17/05 at 2:00 am

NSA, CIA, American Express, AOL whoever. They've been collecting information for decades. Why are we supposed to go "Oh My God" now?

Actually, if it's collected from an open frequency it isn't illegal.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/17/05 at 8:19 am

I'll wait to see how the "evidence" comes out.

If, as has been alleged, they were looking at international communications (ie, messages leaving the borders of the United States) I believe that it will be found to be completely lawful and within the allowances of the Constitution.  Intra-USA communications bewteen American Citizens without a warrant or immediate probable cause would, of course, be clearly illegal.

I'm kind of amazed that pundits have not yet compared this suspected activity with the nefarious deeds of Richard Nixxon (who ordered surveillance on his domestic political enemies), or J. Edgar Hoover (who ordered surveillance to keep his blackmail capabilities high).

Written By: Mushroom on 12/17/05 at 9:53 am

And how was it obtained?  How do you know it was obtained illegally?

Did you know that it is legal for anybody to intercept cell phone calls?  Or to intercept wireless home phone calls?  And did you also know that it is legal to intercept any such calls that go up-down through satellites?  And how much do you want to bet that is how it was obtained!

Those fall under "radio intercepts".  And because the transmission is sent over public airwaves, there is no proof against tapping.  That's right.  It is legal to capture them.  And the NSA has been doing it for decades.  So once again, so what?

And LyricBoy is almost correct in what he says.  Collecting communications in the US is illegal, unless that communication is sent over the air.  At that time, it is legal for anybody to collect it.  Because it goes over the air, there is no guarantee of privacy.  It is a legal point that has been proven over and over again in the courts.  Just as it is legal to record private conversations in a city park or office hallway, but not in your (or somebody elses) house.  IN a home, you expect privacy.  In a public place, there is no guarantee of privacy.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/17/05 at 10:07 am

I believe it has already been established that the activity was illegal, The fact that bush has refused to comment on the question, and gave a round about rationalization for what was done lends more credibility to the assertion that he knew what was being done was more than questionable. What is in dispute is whether or not their will be consequences for the White House for the abuse of power.

Written By: IanWinn on 12/17/05 at 11:34 am

And how was it obtained?  How do you know it was obtained illegally?

Did you know that it is legal for anybody to intercept cell phone calls?  Or to intercept wireless home phone calls?  And did you also know that it is legal to intercept any such calls that go up-down through satellites?  And how much do you want to bet that is how it was obtained!

Those fall under "radio intercepts".  And because the transmission is sent over public airwaves, there is no proof against tapping.  That's right.  It is legal to capture them.  And the NSA has been doing it for decades.  So once again, so what?

And LyricBoy is almost correct in what he says.  Collecting communications in the US is illegal, unless that communication is sent over the air.  At that time, it is legal for anybody to collect it.  Because it goes over the air, there is no guarantee of privacy.  It is a legal point that has been proven over and over again in the courts.  Just as it is legal to record private conversations in a city park or office hallway, but not in your (or somebody elses) house.  IN a home, you expect privacy.  In a public place, there is no guarantee of privacy.

OK...fine.

The question still stands:  What do you do with this information?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/17/05 at 11:48 am

For all of you who says, "Big deal, I'm not doing anything wrong", I say to you:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

-Amendment IV United States Constitution

The fact that our rights under the Constitution are being violated is VERY scary to say the least. Look what happened in Germany during the rise of Hitler. It sets a very dangerous precedence. Another quote that I have used so often is SO true today and I wish more people will take it to heart.

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.

-Benjamin Franklin

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 12/17/05 at 2:16 pm

ANd even more information comes out.

It seems that all of the conversations recorded were calls that were going overseas.  So while they may have originated in the US, the destination was outside of the US.  So it falls under their charter and is legal.

In fact, it falls under 2 different authorizations.  It both involves a communication overseas, and it involves a transmission over the air (hard wire overseas lines went out about 30+ years ago, it is all done over satellites nowadays).

So in short, it is legal, and it is allowed under the Constitution.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/17/05 at 2:17 pm

Not being a lawyer, I have no idea if what was alleged is legal or not.  In the past, the NSA focused on communication to and from foreign embassies.  Now, they are monitoring private citizens' personal communications, seemingly to people over seas.  If they are doing that, who knows what else they are doing without warrents.  It is also the case that the FBI has been using National Security Letters to get info on people from libraries, employers, book stores and others.  Those sources are gagged and the targets are never informed.

The numbers (500 was used) are not totals, it is +/- 500 AT ANY ONE TIME.

For all of you who says, "Big deal, I'm not doing anything wrong", I say to you:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

-Amendment IV United States Constitution

The fact that our rights under the Constitution are being violated is VERY scary to say the least. Look what happened in Germany during the rise of Hitler. It sets a very dangerous precedence. Another quote that I have used so often is SO true today and I wish more people will take it to heart.

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.

-Benjamin Franklin

Cat

And this is why we should care.

On another level, this suggests that there are 2 kinds of conservatives on this board.  One kind, I'll lable them Libertarians, really are conserned about gov't intrusions into our lives.  The other kind, whom I won't lable, seem willing to accept whatever Big Brother wants to do.  Things get curiouser and curiouser.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/05 at 2:24 pm

OK...fine.

The question still stands:

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/17/05 at 3:03 pm

Ok, I'll get a scanner.  You all let me know the next time you have phone sex.  :o  Well, some of you.  ;)  :D  ;D

Written By: IanWinn on 12/17/05 at 11:28 pm

Ok, I'll get a scanner.  You all let me know the next time you have phone sex.  :o  Well, some of you.  ;)  :D  ;D

ROTFLMAO!!!  Well said, Don Carlos!!! :D ;D

Cat, you are SO RIGHT ON!!  Keep reminding the second class of conservatives (neo-cons, as others call them), of from whence came Duh-bya and his goon squad.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/05 at 12:50 pm

ANd even more information comes out.

It seems that all of the conversations recorded were calls that were going overseas.  So while they may have originated in the US, the destination was outside of the US.  So it falls under their charter and is legal.

In fact, it falls under 2 different authorizations.  It both involves a communication overseas, and it involves a transmission over the air (hard wire overseas lines went out about 30+ years ago, it is all done over satellites nowadays).

So in short, it is legal, and it is allowed under the Constitution.

Oh yeah, a lot of wiggle room there. Please correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you are ok with this-legally or not. I'm sorry but I am NOT ok with this. This is just one more way that this Admistration is infringing on our rights. While this may seem "minor" right now, they will probably infringe on a few more, and then a few more and before we know it, all our rights will be totally taken away and we will be in a police state. Call me paranoid but I believe that this Adminstration would love to see that happen-just as long as they are the "police".

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/18/05 at 3:32 pm

Oh yeah, a lot of wiggle room there. Please correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you are ok with this-legally or not. I'm sorry but I am NOT ok with this. This is just one more way that this Admistration is infringing on our rights. While this may seem "minor" right now, they will probably infringe on a few more, and then a few more and before we know it, all our rights will be totally taken away and we will be in a police state. Call me paranoid but I believe that this Adminstration would love to see that happen-just as long as they are the "police".

Cat

"I vus just following orders, I know nothink"  - Sgt Klink.  "Unless we all follow orders without question, respect authority, and conform to the rulers, none of us can be free" - Frank Burns

This also relates to the "View of Government" thread.  Sure I want the gov't to stop the terrorists, like Timothy McVeih, the guys who bombed that black church in - was it Selma? etc.  but not at the expense of the rights and protections that make this country what it is supposed to be.  I'm not that affraid. 

Written By: danootaandme on 12/18/05 at 6:05 pm

Today I watched the variety of news programs that are on on Sunday and I would say that
there is a reason for georgie to have those bags under his eyes that I detected Friday night.
He just may have overstepped himself this time.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/05 at 6:43 pm

Today I watched the variety of news programs that are on on Sunday and I would say that
there is a reason for georgie to have those bags under his eyes that I detected Friday night.
He just may have overstepped himself this time.

I noticed those bags under his eyes too, as well as those wrinkles on his forehead. Yeah, I think the guy is just a bit worried.

Cat

Written By: ADH13 on 12/18/05 at 9:10 pm

Cat

I don't think they are just randomly listening in to our conversations... they are monitoring those with suspected ties to terrorism.  So their terrorist plot discussions aren't private anymore... and that's a bad thing? :o

Written By: IanWinn on 12/18/05 at 10:22 pm

And who defines the term, "terrorist plot"?  When Slick Willy was in the Oval Orifice, Janet Reno defined people who studied the Bible, as well as those who believed the Bible, as terrorists.  Now alot of people classify themselves as people who study the Bible and/or believe what it says.  That makes for a whole lot of terrorists.

Today, we have Duh-bya in the Oval Orifice, but next election, we're going to have either Hitlary or Kindalazy Rice in there, and they're going to be the ones to expand spy powers even further.  Are you comfortable with that?  I'm not.

It really surprises me that people who claim to be for small government will be more than glad to give government power to spy into their lives, believeing that, "I've got nothing to hide, so I've got nothing to fear."  There's two problems with that attitude:  1)  If the government has the power to spy into your life, and they decide for whatever reason to target you for arrest, detainment, or extermination, they can use their ability to spy on you to plant evidence on you, in your home, in your vehicle;  2)  Even if you are a good little ankle-grabber for whomever is CURRENTLY in power, the next people to come into power may not be, and there would be nothing to stop them from using the above tactic because they see you as "the enemy".

Written By: Mushroom on 12/19/05 at 10:07 am

Oh yeah, a lot of wiggle room there. Please correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you are ok with this-legally or not. I'm sorry but I am NOT ok with this.

Cat, anybody can intercept these transmissions!  Heck, I pull transmissions from satellites all the time.  And many years ago, I was involved in an "information packet system" which used piggybacking of satellite signals to transmit data, sound, and other information.  Anybody with $500 in the right equipment (bought legally over the counter) can do it.  Oh, and the same equipment can be used to pirate satellite TV signals, internet transmissions, phone calls, etc.

The reason this is legal is that it is not in the classic terms a "tap".  The classic phone tap is when you place a phyiscal split on somebodies phone line.  You then listen to that conversation.  But we now live in the digital age.  Millions of phone conversations are going through the air at the same time.  And the equipment needed to receive them is not very sophisticated.  In fact, most of the actual technology is 20-30 years old.  Rather primitive by today's standards.

And Don Carlos, look for a scanner made before 1987.  That is when the FCC made the manufacturers of scanners put in blocks that prevents access to wireless and cordless phones.  Or you can buy a newer scanner and hack the computer chip to unlock those frequencies.    8)

If you know anybody that is into satellite signals, ask about "Free To Air" boxes.  I play with them all the time.  I have even pulled down live feeds of news remote trucks, and companies doing "remote conferences" who rented some satellite time.  These things normally cost less then $200, and can be bought all over the place.  With the right dish and LMB combination, you can pick up any transmission that comes down from "the bird", not just TV signals.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 12:36 pm

I don't think they are just randomly listening in to our conversations... they are monitoring those with suspected ties to terrorism.  So their terrorist plot discussions aren't private anymore... and that's a bad thing? :o

Like IanWinn said, who defines the term, "terrorist plot"?  There are measures that should be taken BEFORE the government can do this. It is called "Probable Cause" and then a warrent is issued.  Even members of Congress is very upset about this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051219/ap_on_go_co/domestic_spying

The Republicans can try to rationalize this all they want but the fact remains it is a VIOLATION OF THE CONSTITUTION!!!!

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/19/05 at 1:39 pm

Cat, anybody can intercept these transmissions!  Heck, I pull transmissions from satellites all the time.  And many years ago, I was involved in an "information packet system" which used piggybacking of satellite signals to transmit data, sound, and other information.  Anybody with $500 in the right equipment (bought legally over the counter) can do it.  Oh, and the same equipment can be used to pirate satellite TV signals, internet transmissions, phone calls, etc.

yup, you can listen all you want legally.

However it's against FEDERAL law to disclose any information you gather from listening to another 3rd party.  It's also not admissable in court as evidence, nor is anything you gather as a result of listening admissable, without a court order authorizing a wire tap.

Bush defends his authorization of these wiretaps, but he really has no legal justification for it (even though he claims he does)

Remember, the Bush administration has always been at war with Oceania.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/19/05 at 5:08 pm

And, of course, the question is does this clear violation of rge constitutution rise to the level of "high crimes and misdomeanors"  is it equivelant to denying getting a blow j0b?  And will our Repug Congress think so.

Written By: Mushroom on 12/19/05 at 5:29 pm

And, of course, the question is does this clear violation of rge constitutution rise to the level of "high crimes and misdomeanors"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/05 at 6:41 pm

No, but Bush said it wasn't the NSA, it's NASA monitoring the situation!
:-\\

Written By: danootaandme on 12/20/05 at 6:46 am

I watched the press conference and knew people would swallow that load of crap he
was slinging.  What drove me nuts is when he said how Iraqis are free from the threat
of Sadaams torture in secret jails.  What the f*ck is with the mush spined journalists that
they didn't stand up and say " just a minute, george, what was that you said about  the
disappeared?"  jesusmaryandjoseph    >:(

Written By: IanWinn on 12/20/05 at 11:09 am

That's right, they don't have to worry about Saddam's secret torture jails any more.  Now they have to worry about Duh-bya's secret torture jails.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/20/05 at 3:10 pm

While several of the conservatives here are more than ok with this spying, it clearly troubles several senators on both sides.  Arlen Spector, chair of the Sen judiciary committee has called for investigation f/e.  So while several folks here defend this crap, doubts remain.  One also needs to consider warrentless arrests leading to no charges.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/01/06 at 6:42 pm

Here's what Ol' Dubya says about snooping on American citizens!...http://articles.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20060101134209990001&ncid=NWS00010000000001
Welcome to America, as led by George W. Bushfuhrer! All hail Dubya the Dictator!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/01/06 at 6:44 pm

Bush the second is IMO Joe McCarthy reincarnated!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/06 at 8:04 pm

Bush the second is IMO Joe McCarthy reincarnated!

In this GOP Congress, Joe McCarthy would be called a waffling moderate!
::)

Written By: Harmonica on 01/02/06 at 12:39 am

It was reported today in The new York Times and on CNN that the National Security Agency has been spying on Americans, had as +/- 500 people under survailance at any given time.  It gets no warrents and submits to no extra agency accountability.  It can read your e-mail, trace your phone calls etc.

Big Brother is watching!

had a friend that works for the CIA once tell me that the Government knows everything about you or at least a lot more than you'd ever think.

I'm with you on this one Don Carlos, this IS crossing the privacy line.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/02/06 at 11:36 am

Jeez.....Doesn't our government have enough to do besides snooping on the citizenry?
What's next? The thought police taking people away for not voting Republican? Or not being a member of the Religious Right?
I wonder if our Government even snoops into people's sex lives
!

Written By: YWN on 01/02/06 at 1:13 pm

At first I was outraged at this, but now I'm confused. 

I believe Mushroom said this was actually legal by constitutional standards, but I didn't understand his rationalization, so I guess I'll stay out of this debate until I get my facts straight.

Written By: Harmonica on 01/02/06 at 2:19 pm

Jeez.....Doesn't our government have enough to do besides snooping on the citizenry?
What's next? The thought police taking people away for not voting Republican? Or not being a member of the Religious Right?
I wonder if our Government even snoops into people's sex lives
!

Don't worry there are enough democrats in this world, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Atheism in it's own right is a religious right.

The Government should crack down on the porn industry, but hurray for the liberals keeping it safe.  I sure hope they put another Triple X adult store within 2 blocks of the baptist church, that way  the people parking on the west side will get accused of being perverts as well.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/03/06 at 7:20 pm

I can completely respect and understand those of you who feel this is wrong and a violation of privacy, as long as you're not one of the ones who complain that the government shouldn't be spying or monitoring people, but also complain that they should have foreseen and been able to prevent 9/11.

In order for them to have foreseen the details of 9/11 to the extent that they could have prevented it, they would have had to do exactly what you don't approve of them doing.

and you can't have it both ways.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/06 at 7:40 pm

I can completely respect and understand those of you who feel this is wrong and a violation of privacy, as long as you're not one of the ones who complain that the government shouldn't be spying or monitoring people, but also complain that they should have foreseen and been able to prevent 9/11.

In order for them to have foreseen the details of 9/11 to the extent that they could have prevented it, they would have had to do exactly what you don't approve of them doing.

and you can't have it both ways.

I don't have a problem with monitoring people if there is a "probable cause" and with a warrent. However, what Bush has done was spied on people WITHOUT a warrent and that is strictly against the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution. I sincerely doubt that a judge wouldn't have granted him a warrent. That was all he had to do but he didn't. How many times do we hear that people get charges dropped because the police went in without a warrent? It is the same thing. Those warrents are issued as checks and balances so one leg of our government (read: Executive Branch) does not get too powerful. And without warrents, we don't know exactly who he is spying on. Yeah, he says that they have links to Al Quida but he also said that Iraq had WMD. He also said that Saddam was linked to Al Quida, etc. etc. For all I know, the NSA may be spying on us (read: Carlos and me). Why? Because we have exercised our First Amendment right by speaking out against this Adminstration with letters to the editor in our local paper, posting on this message board, etc, etc.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/03/06 at 8:41 pm

When I am in college and I do a research paper on George Orwell's '1984'..the NSA might even spy on me!

God forbid someone get caught even glancing through 'The Anarchist Cookbook' or "Soldier of Fortune"....the NSA will be watching!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/03/06 at 8:44 pm

The NSA makes me think of that Rockwell song "Somebody's watching me..and I have no privacy..."

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 1:30 am

To the fellow who tried to argue that because its not technically illegal to intercept communications on public airwaves, therefore Bush didn't break the law, hogwash! While that stuff about public airwaves is all well and good, the legality of intercepting communications in and of itself is not whats being questioned here. The question at hand is did Bush break the FISA law? And there is absolutely, positively no wiggle room in this. He flat out did. Bush authorized the NSA to spy on Americans domestically, which under the FISA is illegal unless you obtain a warrant. Bush can try to get out of it all he wants, making up excuses like he had to do it for national security, but thats just BS because the court allows the feds to wait up to 72 hours AFTER the surveillance to go to the court if it is an emergency, and 15 days if its done under the auspices of war. And Bush has stated many times that we are at war. There just aren't any justifiable excuses for Bush to have authorized these wiretappings without consulting the court. He broke the law. Period.

You know, it seems like just a few years ago certain people had no problem jumping on the anti-Clinton bandwagon, letting us know "the President isn't above the law!"; yet when it comes to their own guy they have no problem tossing the law aside. These people have no honor IMO, and they make me sick to the bottom of my stomach.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/04/06 at 9:41 am

To the fellow who tried to argue that because its not technically illegal to intercept communications on public airwaves, therefore Bush didn't break the law, hogwash! While that stuff about public airwaves is all well and good, the legality of intercepting communications in and of itself is not whats being questioned here. The question at hand is did Bush break the FISA law? And there is absolutely, positively no wiggle room in this. He flat out did. Bush authorized the NSA to spy on Americans domestically, which under the FISA is illegal unless you obtain a warrant.

The courts many times have ruled that what is sent over the public airwaves can be intercepted by anybody.  It has no more legal protection then your garbage has.  And anybody has the right to go through your garbaghe and pull out anything they want.  And no warrants are needed.

And also look again.  All of the calls the monitored were going overseas.  It is not very hard to concieve that any calls overseas are not domestic at all.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/04/06 at 12:24 pm

The courts many times have ruled that what is sent over the public airwaves can be intercepted by anybody.  It has no more legal protection then your garbage has.  And anybody has the right to go through your garbaghe and pull out anything they want.  And no warrants are needed.

And also look again.  All of the calls the monitored were going overseas.  It is not very hard to concieve that any calls overseas are not domestic at all.

THe great Mushroom, a better jurist than John Marshall, Oliver Wendal Holms and Earl Warren combined, has spoken.  The 4th amendment, like the rst of the Constitution, is just a god damn piece of paper.  Thats why the Jusiciary Committee is going to investigate.

Written By: zotsfreak on 01/04/06 at 12:51 pm

There are two very big points to this whole phone tap thing that is not publicized by the left wing media. #1-Who all knew?, and #2- Why were those that were listened in upon selected?
#1- Although not all of Congress was aware, Congressional leaders were briefed. #2- Three months after 9-11, the #3  person in the Al Quaeda chain of command was arrested in Pakistan. From his cell phone, we chose 300 persons that had been in direct communication with this terrorist scumbag who were found to be non USA citizens residing within continental USA. This operation was successfully kept secret until now, in part by the very limited number of persons aware. If this were to have gone through the Congressional floor, secrecy would have been lost to the millions who watch C-Span, to the media, etc, and thus, the 300 persons involved would have certainly modified their behavior and phone conversations.
Hats off to GW forsticking his neck out, and God bless this great American and Patriot.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 3:55 pm

God, welcome to the Dog and Pony show.  ::)

You completely ignored the point I was making. You went back to droning on about the supposed legality of intercepting transmissions over public airwaves, which I admitted is true. So what is your point, Mushroom? Mine is that the discussion isn't over whether intercepting these communications in and of itself is illegal, what we are discussing is whether or not bush broke the law in regards to FISA. It seems to me you are either trying to lead the discussion astray from the actual question at hand in a phony attempt to justify this, or you just don't understand what we arguing over. I've read your posts many times, and I know you are a fairly bright guy, so I'd say the former has to be true.

Will you PLEASE address my point that is not about the legality of intercepting transmissions, its about the fact that FISA(a LAW, passed by the elected Congress of the United States) legally requires the government to obtain a warrant from the court whenever it comes to intercepting domestic communications. Its a known fact that has on many occasions authorized domestic wiretapping without going to the court, despite the fact there is a 72 hour period in which he can go to the court AFTER THE FACT. If the law says he must go to the court for these wiretaps(and that is what the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act says), and he did not, then explain to me how that isn't breaking the law. I'd love to hear this one.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/04/06 at 8:24 pm

Our government is starting to be a h*ll of a lot like the George Orwell book I mentioned before...unless there is a clear reason to listen in on someone's phone calls, they should be OFF LIMITS! And that includes calls between the USofA and other countries, come on, innocent people have families in places like Afghanistan, Egypt, India, Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Iraq....why listen in on their conversations?

Welcome to Bush's America, Run by fear, paranoia, and snooping on the good citizens of this nation!

Written By: Mushroom on 01/04/06 at 8:57 pm

THe great Mushroom, a better jurist than John Marshall, Oliver Wendal Holms and Earl Warren combined, has spoken.  The 4th amendment, like the rst of the Constitution, is just a god damn piece of paper.  Thats why the Jusiciary Committee is going to investigate.

Oh, I would hardly go that far.  And to be honest, I myself am not comfortable with it, nor do I really agree with it.

But one thing I am, it is a realist.  I may not agree with something, but that does not make it illegal.  And yes, at one time I did work with a paralegal.  This is why I can take something like this and seperate my belief on the subject, and simply look at the legality of it.

And like I said, anybody can do what the NSA is doing.  Heck, LAPD was monitoring OJ Simpson's cell phone calls, and they also did it with Scott Peterson.  Why were they able to do this without court orders?  Because they simply intercepted what are essentially radio transmissions.  And anybody resonable knows that radio transmissions are not private.  The same way reasonable people know that your garbage is not protected by "search and seizure" laws.  It is garbage after all, and you have thrown it away.  That is why the makers of paper shredders do such a great business.

And just like anything else, those that are paranoid can take simple steps to prevent this from happening.  Telephone scramblers are cheap and easy to use.  Just as software like PGP can be used on the internet to make your e-mail safe from snooping.  The use would even keep most legal wiretaps with court order practically useless.  I guess we are lucky that most criminals are simply to stupid to use them.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/04/06 at 10:53 pm

Oh, I would hardly go that far.  And to be honest, I myself am not comfortable with it, nor do I really agree with it.

But one thing I am, it is a realist.  I may not agree with something, but that does not make it illegal.  And yes, at one time I did work with a paralegal.  This is why I can take something like this and seperate my belief on the subject, and simply look at the legality of it.

And like I said, anybody can do what the NSA is doing.  Heck, LAPD was monitoring OJ Simpson's cell phone calls, and they also did it with Scott Peterson.  Why were they able to do this without court orders?  Because they simply intercepted what are essentially radio transmissions.  And anybody resonable knows that radio transmissions are not private.  The same way reasonable people know that your garbage is not protected by "search and seizure" laws.  It is garbage after all, and you have thrown it away.  That is why the makers of paper shredders do such a great business.

And just like anything else, those that are paranoid can take simple steps to prevent this from happening.  Telephone scramblers are cheap and easy to use.  Just as software like PGP can be used on the internet to make your e-mail safe from snooping.  The use would even keep most legal wiretaps with court order practically useless.  I guess we are lucky that most criminals are simply to stupid to use them.

You still haven't addressed my point about FISA. Why?

Written By: Mushroom on 01/05/06 at 10:03 am

You still haven't addressed my point about FISA. Why?

Because in this situation, FISA does not really apply.

FISA was enacted in 1978.  The world was a far different place then.  That was before the Iranian Embassy Takeover.  It was before Beiruit, it was before Oaklahoma City and 9/11.  Back then, terrorist organizations were fractured, and easy to deal with.  Today, many of these organizations control soverign nations, and even have the power of nations.  And the members of these groups are treated as agents of foreign governments.  So to modern interpretations, am member of Al-Queda is just as valid of a target as a KGB Officer of the old USSR in the 1980's.

Plus, how do you seperate data collected from agents, from the normal "background clutter"?  You record all of it, then have computers skim through, looking for "items of interest".  You discard the millions of conversations that do not apply, and look at those that do.  Computers have also come a long way since 1978.  Back then, it meant a person listening to each call.  Now, you have a computer monitor tens of thousands of calls at once, and it alerts a human if something if interest happens.

And finally, that FISA is covering evidence that would be used in a court of law.  The reason for monitoring these calls is not to prosecute terrorists, it is to prevent the attacks from happening in the first place.  If they tried to take these calls as evidence in a trial, I am sure that they would be thrown right out.  But the idea here is prevention, not prosecution.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/05/06 at 6:51 pm

Because in this situation, FISA does not really apply.

FISA was enacted in 1978.  The world was a far different place then.  That was before the Iranian Embassy Takeover.  It was before Beiruit, it was before Oaklahoma City and 9/11.  Back then, terrorist organizations were fractured, and easy to deal with.  Today, many of these organizations control soverign nations, and even have the power of nations.  And the members of these groups are treated as agents of foreign governments.  So to modern interpretations, am member of Al-Queda is just as valid of a target as a KGB Officer of the old USSR in the 1980's.

Plus, how do you seperate data collected from agents, from the normal "background clutter"?  You record all of it, then have computers skim through, looking for "items of interest".  You discard the millions of conversations that do not apply, and look at those that do.  Computers have also come a long way since 1978.  Back then, it meant a person listening to each call.  Now, you have a computer monitor tens of thousands of calls at once, and it alerts a human if something if interest happens.

And finally, that FISA is covering evidence that would be used in a court of law.  The reason for monitoring these calls is not to prosecute terrorists, it is to prevent the attacks from happening in the first place.  If they tried to take these calls as evidence in a trial, I am sure that they would be thrown right out.  But the idea here is prevention, not prosecution.

Hmm, if what you say is true then I think I need to change my position because legally speaking it seems to be incorrect.

I still think that Bush may have gone overboard in this from a philosophical point of view, but it appears legally that perhaps he didn't cross the line.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/05/06 at 9:36 pm

You know I only first found out about that yesteday?  About changed my prespective.  The New York Times wrote it like the eavsdropping was going on with domestic calls, like Larry in Detroit calling Joe in Atlanta.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/06/06 at 11:10 am

Hmm, if what you say is true then I think I need to change my position because legally speaking it seems to be incorrect.

I still think that Bush may have gone overboard in this from a philosophical point of view, but it appears legally that perhaps he didn't cross the line.

The line here can be rather fine.  In a way, consider hearsay.

Hearsay is not admissable in court most of the time.  However, there are a few instances where it is allowed.  And it can be considered by a grand jury in bringing an inditement, while the hearsay testimony is not admissable in court.  This is because they are not conducting a trial, simply seeing if there is enough evidence for a trial to occur.

And hearsay may not be admissable in court, but it is often used by law enforcement to help tighten up loose ends in an investigation.  If you go to a cop and say "I overheard John say he was going to kill his wife", that is hearsay.  It is not allowable in court.  But it would be inexcuseable for the cop to not take some kind of action, right?

People often confuse what is inadmissable with being illegal.  In the case of FISA, it is more in reguards to what kind of surveilence can be used in a court of law.  Evidence gathered outside of FISA is not nessicarily illegal, but it is inadmissable.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/06/06 at 10:04 pm

What about if some college kid calls his friend in Saudi Arabia or Iran and JOKINGLY says something about bombing something here in America? It's meant as a JOKE..and the kid gets in hot water although he'd NEVER really do it..that's what worries me.

Written By: ADH13 on 01/06/06 at 10:08 pm

What about if some college kid calls his friend in Saudi Arabia or Iran and JOKINGLY says something about bombing something here in America? It's meant as a JOKE..and the kid gets in hot water although he'd NEVER really do it..that's what worries me.

If that person in Saudi Arabia or Iran isn't somehow connected to Al Qaeda, they probably aren't being watched... but if they are, and they think bombing something in America is funny, then they should be watched, in my opinion.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/06 at 10:21 pm

If that person in Saudi Arabia or Iran isn't somehow connected to Al Qaeda, they probably aren't being watched... but if they are, and they think bombing something in America is funny, then they should be watched, in my opinion.

I think you have the wrong idea about what she meant, Andrea. I know what type of joking she is referring to. Arab-Americans and Muslim-Americans in general(pakistanis, iranians etc.) are well aware of the suspicions(unjustly imo) cast upon them everyday. Joking about being a terrorist is a way to deal with it. Its kinda like when black stand-up comics make jokes about negative criminal stereotypes that are unjustly put on black people every day.

I actually have a personal example of this. I have a Paki friend at my college who hangs out on campus in the same little area as me(I hang with several people at a certain picnic table everday) and one of his favorite ongoing jokes is that when he walks up to the table sometimes he'll yell very loud something like "hey soandso did you get those scud missles for me yet?". The weird looks from the local yokels are priceless.  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 01/06/06 at 10:55 pm

I think you have the wrong idea about what she meant, Andrea. I know what type of joking she is referring to. Arab-Americans and Muslim-Americans in general(pakistanis, iranians etc.) are well aware of the suspicions(unjustly imo) cast upon them everyday. Joking about being a terrorist is a way to deal with it. Its kinda like when black stand-up comics make jokes about negative criminal stereotypes that are unjustly put on black people every day.

I actually have a personal example of this. I have a Paki friend at my college who hangs out on campus in the same little area as me(I hang with several people at a certain picnic table everday) and one of his favorite ongoing jokes is that when he walks up to the table sometimes he'll yell very loud something like "hey soandso did you get those scud missles for me yet?". The weird looks from the local yokels are priceless.  ;D

I agree with you about muslims/arabs in general... however, I was referring to a person contacting al qaeda members and joking about it.  Those are the ones I was saying should be watched.

And just to reiterate, I DO support the tracing of calls to known al qaeda numbers, and monitoring the phone calls relating to those callers. (which is what I believe is taking place)

I do NOT support randomly monitoring calls just because of ethnic background.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/06/06 at 11:03 pm

I agree with you about muslims/arabs in general... however, I was referring to a person contacting al qaeda members and joking about it.  Those are the ones I was saying should be watched.

And just to reiterate, I DO support the tracing of calls to known al qaeda numbers, and monitoring the phone calls relating to those callers. (which is what I believe is taking place)

I do NOT support randomly monitoring calls just because of ethnic background.

I get ya.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/07/06 at 10:25 am

What if I am overheard jokingly saying I am going to take a sniper rifle and blow away the President?  Would it be unreasonable for the US Secret Service to conduct an investigation on me?

And would you forgive the Government if they did nothing about it and it really happened?

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/07/06 at 11:14 am

What if I am overheard jokingly saying I am going to take a sniper rifle and blow away the President?  Would it be unreasonable for the US Secret Service to conduct an investigation on me?

And would you forgive the Government if they did nothing about it and it really happened?

Just as with this monitoring, the SS could go to court, having probable cause, and get a warrant.  Bush could have done that too, but chose to evade the law.  I'm not against monitoring, just doing it without court oversight.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/06 at 2:43 pm

Member of Congress thinks that Dubya overstepped his power.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060107/pl_nm/security_eavesdropping_report_dc

Cat

Written By: YWN on 01/07/06 at 4:01 pm

Wait, didn't the Congress already know about this?  Just...they don't act outraged until the public knows.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/06 at 4:19 pm

Wait, didn't the Congress already know about this?  Just...they don't act outraged until the public knows.

A few members of Congress did know-but not ALL. And the ones who did know were not allowed to talk about.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/08/06 at 2:15 pm

A few members of Congress did know-but not ALL. And the ones who did know were not allowed to talk about.

Cat

Of the few who were informed, at least 1, Jay Rockefeller, had serious concerns, and expressed them in writing.  Further, an under secretary at Justice (I forgot his name) refused to authorize the spying, so the Bush team had to make a special visit to John Ashcroft, in the hospital, to get approval, and he was reluctant.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/08/06 at 6:37 pm

Just as with this monitoring, the SS could go to court, having probable cause, and get a warrant.  Bush could have done that too, but chose to evade the law.  I'm not against monitoring, just doing it without court oversight.

But a warrant is not needed to conduct an investigation.  In fact, they are rarely needed at all.  Most arrests are on the basis of "probable cause".  And most investigations are conducted only covering what investigation can be done without a warrant.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/08/06 at 7:57 pm

George W. Bush likes to think he's above the law...I'd love to see him in some real legal BOILING HOT WATER for this crap!

Dumbya needs to take some refresher courses in US History and Civics. He probably was drunk when he was in history class because ol' George W. was a party boy in his younger days.....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/06 at 1:25 am

George W. Bush likes to think he's above the law...I'd love to see him in some real legal BOILING HOT WATER for this crap!

Dumbya needs to take some refresher courses in US History and Civics. He probably was drunk when he was in history class because ol' George W. was a party boy in his younger days.....

Actually, I'll bet Dumbya was drunk during many of his classes at Andover and Yale.  He figured, "Hey, my name's Bush, and it don't matter because I'm gonna make it big time no matter what!"  And you know what?  He was right!

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/09/06 at 11:21 am

Actually, I'll bet Dumbya was drunk during many of his classes at Andover and Yale.  He figured, "Hey, my name's Bush, and it don't matter because I'm gonna make it big time no matter what!"  And you know what?  He was right!

Hopefully he'll wind up doing BIG TIME in the BIG HOUSE with Lefty and Bruno as cell mates.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/06 at 12:11 pm

I have to agree with Mushroom on all of this.  The government is not doing anything that John Q. Public could not do.  Heck, on our old phones, I could overhear my ex-neighbors talking on theirs.  I even heard the husband making plans for lunch with his girlfriend.  One of hubby's best friends is a US Customs agent and let me tell you, this has been going on for a LONG time.  When he found out my maiden name, and where I used to live, he pulled up a file on an ex-neighbor of mine that had been convicted of selling illegal satellite boxes.  Lo and behold, there are pictures of me entering their house (to babysit) and information on me and my family.  This was back in 1986-7.

As much as I'd like to place the blame on Dubya, it's been going on for years.....just not under the NSA. :-\\

Overhearing phone conversations and accessing public records is a far cry from illegal spying--such as tapping phone lines without a warrant.  I suspect the NSA has been up to no good in previous administrations.  However, it's not who commits crimes, it's who gets caught.  If your friends go shoplifting and security misses them, and then you go shoplifting and get busted, the store security isn't going to say, "OK, you can go because we didn't catch your friends!"
:D

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/10/06 at 11:28 am

In his testimony before the Judiciary Comm. this morning, Sam Alito came very VERY close to saying that this NSA program is illegal in answer to questions from San. Pat Leahy of VT.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/06 at 1:02 pm

In his testimony before the Judiciary Comm. this morning, Sam Alito came very VERY close to saying that this NSA program is illegal in answer to questions from San. Pat Leahy of VT.

Which is interesting because that is not what he said a few weeks ago.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1537565.htm

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/10/06 at 9:16 pm

Overhearing phone conversations and accessing public records is a far cry from illegal spying--such as tapping phone lines without a warrant.  I suspect the NSA has been up to no good in previous administrations.  However, it's not who commits crimes, it's who gets caught.  If your friends go shoplifting and security misses them, and then you go shoplifting and get busted, the store security isn't going to say, "OK, you can go because we didn't catch your friends!"
Dumbya's logic-"Oh well, Nixon did it,so can I snoop on my potential enemies!" What Dumbya convieniently forgets is that Nixon got caught. And so, eventually, will he!

I'd love to see Bush the Second in the pen, with the likes of John Gotti and Charlie Manson...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/10/06 at 9:29 pm

Dumbya's logic-"Oh well, Nixon did it,so can I snoop on my potential enemies!" What Dumbya convieniently forgets is that Nixon got caught. And so, eventually, will he!

I'd love to see Bush the Second in the pen, with the likes of John Gotti and Charlie Manson...

If Bush gets in any trouble, he'll get pardoned by the next Republican to steal the next Presidential election.  Wouldn't even be that long--Bush did resign, then Cheney's President (President Cheney? Aieeee!!!) so what's the first thing President Cheney will do?  Pardon Bush, just like Ford pardoned Nixon.
And don't foreget, the Nixon Administration was kindergarten for Cheney and Rumsfeld!
:o ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/10/06 at 11:15 pm

If Bush gets in any trouble, he'll get pardoned by the next Republican to steal the next Presidential election.  Wouldn't even be that long--Bush did resign, then Cheney's President (President Cheney? Aieeee!!!) so what's the first thing President Cheney will do?  Pardon Bush, just like Ford pardoned Nixon.
And don't foreget, the Nixon Administration was kindergarten for Cheney and Rumsfeld!
:o ::)
I'm not so sure Cheney is even gonna be around to be the next Prez...his poor ol' ticker...

Written By: YWN on 01/11/06 at 8:59 am

I'm not so sure Cheney is even gonna be around to be the next Prez...his poor ol' ticker...

That's what I was thinking...  I'm wondering if he'll make it all the way through this term. 

...I shudder to think of the replacement Bush would choose.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 8:16 pm

Bush might stick us with someone else who's a loser..Tom DeLay!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 8:18 pm

I would love to see George W. Bush face IMPEACHMENT for this!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/12/06 at 8:23 pm

George W. Bush is just as paranoid as Joe McCarthy was..just exchange 'Islam' or 'Al-Qaida' for 'Communist' or 'Communist Party' when Bush snoops on innocent American citizens!

What's next, Mr. Bush..blacklisting?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/12/06 at 8:49 pm

George W. Bush is just as paranoid as Joe McCarthy was..just exchange 'Islam' or 'Al-Qaida' for 'Communist' or 'Communist Party' when Bush snoops on innocent American citizens!

What's next, Mr. Bush..blacklisting?

He's made it perfectly clear, "If you publically disagree with my war, you are a traitor."
(OK, not an exact quote but the subtext 2B sure!)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/15/06 at 7:09 pm

Why in God's name would George W. Bush be so dam paranoid about some Joe Average citizen calling Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iran, or Iraq, talking with a non-terrorist INNOCENT person and joking around about Al-Qaida?

I wonder if George W. Bush thinks Nixon did the right thing, wiretapping his supposed enemies?

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/16/06 at 11:05 am

Arlen Specter (R PA) said this morning that if this wire tapping proves to be illegal, a possible outcome could be impeachment, conviction, removal from office, and then ctiminal charges.  Note that it was Arlen Specter (R PA)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/16/06 at 5:49 pm

Arlen Specter (R PA) said this morning that if this wire tapping proves to be illegal, a possible outcome could be impeachment, conviction, removal from office, and then ctiminal charges.  Note that it was Arlen Specter (R PA)
I wonder how the other Republican congressman from Pennsylvania, Rick Santorum, feels about Dumbya and his paranoia-fueled snooping?

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/18/06 at 12:24 pm

Not that I'm defending Dubya, but if you were to call a friend in the Middle East, unless you or your friend had ties to terrorism, your call probably wouldn't be monitored.

If previous examples and the Pentegon's snooping are any example I wouldn't make book on it.  These paranoid freeks follow a bunch of Quakers around here in Vermont and listed them as potentially dangerous.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/18/06 at 7:53 pm

I wonder if the FBI snoops on innocent Americans like they did when J. Edgar Hoover ran the agency? I wouldn't bet against it!

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/19/06 at 11:46 am

I wonder if the FBI snoops on innocent Americans like they did when J. Edgar Hoover ran the agency? I wouldn't bet against it!

Call me paranoid, but I'd make book on it.   

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/06 at 4:06 pm

Call me paranoid, but I'd make book on it.   

Well, you know they have to learn that radical stuff somewhere so why not from our phone calls and e-mails.

And whatever you do, don't dig up the back yard because that is where the guns are buried.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/19/06 at 6:38 pm

Are any of you familiar with the COINTELPRO programs that were conducted by the FBI in the 50's and 60's? This was a counterintellegence program that the FBI ran to spy on political dissidents in the U.S. (Apparently, Martin Luther King, Jr. was one of the targets of this operation.)
    I'm not too well-versed on this program, but I can't help but wonder if these recent charges agains the Bush administration have similar ramifications. I mean, when it comes to protecting the American public from terrorist attacks, we have to do what we have to do (within our legal boundaries of course), but we also have to abide by the checks and balances that are built into the Constitution and if the current administration has illegally bypassed these, they must be held accountable.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/19/06 at 6:53 pm

Are any of you familiar with the COINTELPRO programs that were conducted by the FBI in the 50's and 60's? This was a counterintellegence program that the FBI ran to spy on political dissidents in the U.S. (Apparently, Martin Luther King, Jr. was one of the targets of this operation.)
    I'm not too well-versed on this program, but I can't help but wonder if these recent charges agains the Bush administration have similar ramifications. I mean, when it comes to protecting the American public from terrorist attacks, we have to do what we have to do (within our legal boundaries of course), but we also have to abide by the checks and balances that are built into the Constitution and if the current administration has illegally bypassed these, they must be held accountable.

I remember cointelpro.  It was another Jedgar thing.  We are going back to those days rather quickly with the consent of many who think that giving up rights is the way to preserve them.  ::)

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/20/06 at 10:50 am

FISA was a direct result of the exposure of COINTELPRO and other such illegal spying. 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/20/06 at 9:07 pm

Hey, the FBI spied on John Lennon because he was against the Vietnam War..The FBI also snooped on people like Frank Sinatra..and I bet they spied on another civil rights activist, Malcolm X...

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/06 at 9:18 pm

Overhearing phone conversations and accessing public records is a far cry from illegal spying--such as tapping phone lines without a warrant.

But Max, you are missing the entire point.

It is not illegal to listen to phone conversations when they are broadcast.  Anybody can listen to them, legally.  You continue to confuse the distinction between a wire tap (the physical placing of recording equipment on a physical land line) and intercepting a phone call (grabbing the call out of the air through radio equipment).

The former is illegal without a warrant, even if it is simply for surveilence purposes.  The latter is 100% legal, and the laws simply state in which way they can be introduced as evidence.  The fact that it can't be used as evidence without a warrant does not mean it is illegal.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/06 at 9:21 pm

Actually, Nixon got in trouble for what is basically snooping on himself.  The "Watergate Tapes" covered recordings Nixon made of his own conversations.

And the recording equipment was not new.  If I remember right, Harry Trueman was the first to install the recording devices in the Oval Office, and they are still used to this day.

And if anything, the arguement here supports his belief that there was no right to obtain them, since there was no court order in place when they were made.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/20/06 at 9:25 pm

It is not illegal to listen to phone conversations when they are broadcast.  Anybody can listen to them, legally.  You continue to confuse the distinction between a wire tap (the physical placing of recording equipment on a physical land line) and intercepting a phone call (grabbing the call out of the air through radio equipment).

The former is illegal without a warrant, even if it is simply for surveilence purposes.  The latter is 100% legal, and the laws simply state in which way they can be introduced as evidence.  The fact that it can't be used as evidence without a warrant does not mean it is illegal.

^Mushroom has a point and i haven't really seen any argument that refutes it.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/06 at 9:27 pm

I remember cointelpro.  It was another Jedgar thing.  We are going back to those days rather quickly with the consent of many who think that giving up rights is the way to preserve them.   ::)

Of course, do not forget who some of the other "subjects" who were investigated by "CoIntelPro".  Here is a short list:

Ku Klux Klan
Weathermen
People named in Venona intercepts
American Nazi Party
Symbionese Liberation Army
Various Mafia and Organized Crime organizations (including Jimmy Hoffa)

It is true that some groups and people should not have been investigated by them.  But I also do not doubt that most of them were legitimate "bad guys", and needed to be investigated by almost any means nessicary.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/20/06 at 9:29 pm

^Mushroom has a point and i haven't really seen any argument that refutes it.

To be honest, I have not either.  And that is frequently what is frustrating in debate in here.

And as I said before, I am nore really comfortable with the actions, nor do I fully support them.  But simply because I do not agree with them or support them does not make them wrong or illegal.

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/20/06 at 10:04 pm

To be honest, I have not either.  And that is frequently what is frustrating in debate in here.

And as I said before, I am nore really comfortable with the actions, nor do I fully support them.  But simply because I do not agree with them or support them does not make them wrong or illegal.

Agreed.

Certain members here obviously had no logical ground to stand on in the death penalty debate. They argued on emotion, and when I presented a layered argument on it, they only re-stated what they had aready said which was what my message was intended to refuite. They could not produce a rebuttal.

Written By: Mushroom on 01/21/06 at 12:36 am

Agreed.

Certain members here obviously had no logical ground to stand on in the death penalty debate. They argued on emotion, and when I presented a layered argument on it, they only re-stated what they had aready said which was what my message was intended to refuite. They could not produce a rebuttal.

One thing I always find interesting is when and how people will find people to agree with.

One group that strongly opposes Capitol Punishment is those with strong religious convictions.  You will find few that are more opposed to Capitol Punishment as a general rule then Christians.  After all, look at those tha toppose it:  nune, the Pope, Cardinals and Bishops.  And the "far left" who oppose it welcome their support in this issue.

Yet, at the same time the same "far left" turns their back on these same groups when it comes to an issue like abortion.  To them, the life of a convict is more important then the life of an unborn baby (I am talking about general views here, not the pro's or con's of abortion or Capitol Punishemnt).

This is where my confusion sets in.  Those with a strong ideological belief can scream about a group, and at the same time embrace them on the beliefs that they share.  Then when it is a different situation, they once again turn their backs on them.  It is this very inconsistancy that has always puzzled me, and causes me problems.

I am going to have to move this to an appropriate topic, because the question does not belong here.  But I think everybody understands the point I am trying to make.  Ideology matters, as long as it agrees with our own.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/06 at 3:39 am

I'm aware of the difference.  It varies from state to state what is admissable in court.  Some states do not allow recorded phone conversations admitted as evidence unless both parties consented to be recorded.  Others allow it if only one party consented.  I would not want the government to be allowed to use unwarranted recordings of telephone conversations--or cyber-communications--as evidence in court.

If guys like Sam Alito and Alberto Gonzales had their 'druthers, the feds would be able to just snatch all your emails, computer messages (like this one) and phone conversations at will, and use them all as evidence against you in a court of law.  I suppose you wouldn't mind that, because you have nothing to hide, right?  You are so sure, comrade, you have nothing to hide!

Maybe you were doing some research on pornography laws, and you typed "child pornography" into the Google search engine.  Well, Gonzales and the boyswould  like to be able to drag that up in court too and ask you about it.  I know, I know, it was for "research purposes," ain't it always, ladies and gentlemen?
:o

Written By: Mushroom on 01/21/06 at 3:35 pm

Maybe you were doing some research on pornography laws, and you typed "child pornography" into the Google search engine.  Well, Gonzales and the boyswould  like to be able to drag that up in court too and ask you about it.  I know, I know, it was for "research purposes," ain't it always, ladies and gentlemen?

This is where a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

The issue that Google has about turning over the information deals with how the Google Search Engine operates.

The same requests were made to Yahoo, and they complied.  The way their engine works, the only thing that is saved is the request itself.  The IP address is not saved, nor is any other information.

Google on the other hand, saves the requests along with the IP address that made the request, the sites from the list that are visited, and if the person has a GMail account, their e-mail address.  This is why they are refusing to turn over the requested information.

If anything, I would be much more concerned with why Google collects and saves so much of your personal information just to request a web page.  If their model was like Yahoo's, then they would have turned the information over with no problem (their CEO even admitted as much).  But because the searches are saved with so much private information, they are refusing.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/21/06 at 9:21 pm

Of course, do not forget who some of the other "subjects" who were investigated by "CoIntelPro".  Here is a short list:

Ku Klux Klan
Weathermen
American Nazi Party

It is true that some groups and people should not have been investigated by them.  But I also do not doubt that most of them were legitimate "bad guys", and needed to be investigated by almost any means nessicary.
Oh come on, people like Malcolm X were criminals?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/21/06 at 9:23 pm

Well, you know they have to learn that radical stuff somewhere so why not from our phone calls and e-mails.

And whatever you do, don't dig up the back yard because that is where the guns are buried.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat
yeah, and the plans to overthrow the United States Government!  :D  ;D  :D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/21/06 at 9:25 pm

I remember cointelpro.  It was another Jedgar thing.  We are going back to those days rather quickly with the consent of many who think that giving up rights is the way to preserve them.   ::)
J. Edgar Hoover was one hell of a paranoid individual with SOME of the people he used COINTELPRO to spy on...Come on, Dr. King was a threat to Americans? NOT!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/21/06 at 9:27 pm

Ku Klux Klan
Weathermen
American Nazi Party

Okay, why was John Lennon a COINTELPRO spying target?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/21/06 at 9:55 pm

"All You Need is Love" and "Give Peace A Chance"

as opposed to

"All You Need is Money"* and "Bomb The Commies Into the Stone Age"

* All You Need is Cash

--The Rutles

Written By: Mushroom on 01/21/06 at 11:22 pm

I will say it again, a lot of those who were investigated by CoIntelPro were innocent.

But a lot of them were guilty as hell.

But I guess you all are right.  There is no excuse for the investigations of the Klan, nor of the Mafia or SLA.

And as for Malcolm X, it was on the organization that he was a member of more then of the man himself.  And I would say they were right, since the orders for his assasination came from people who he was associated with.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 9:41 am

I will say it again, a lot of those who were investigated by CoIntelPro were innocent.

But a lot of them were guilty as hell.

But I guess you all are right.  There is no excuse for the investigations of the Klan, nor of the Mafia or SLA.

And as for Malcolm X, it was on the organization that he was a member of more then of the man himself.  And I would say they were right, since the orders for his assasination came from people who he was associated with.
I can see those KKK scumbags being investigated....Look at the reign of terror they had in the South! The same for the American Nazi Party(and their modern-day offshoots The Order, Aryan Nations Church and White Aryan Resistance) and the SLA...

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/06 at 11:49 am

I can see those KKK scumbags being investigated....Look at the reign of terror they had in the South! The same for the American Nazi Party(and their modern-day offshoots The Order, Aryan Nations Church and White Aryan Resistance) and the SLA...

I believe that if you looked into the people who were "investigators" in Cointelpro you would find more than a few with dual memberships in some of the above named organizations that they were supposed to be investigating.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 2:09 pm

I still don't understand why COINTELPRO was snooping on John Lennon...what evil that could destroy our country was Lennon involved in, besides rallying for peace?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/22/06 at 2:49 pm

yeah, and the plans to overthrow the United States Government!  :D  ;D  :D

I was actually quoting from a Utah Philips album.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/22/06 at 4:18 pm

I still don't understand why COINTELPRO was snooping on John Lennon...what evil that could destroy our country was Lennon involved in, besides rallying for peace?

Why, because he was a dope smoking hippie who preached peace and married a minority, and,  Jedgar
was jealous, he wanted John all to himself

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/22/06 at 8:38 pm

Why, because he was a dope smoking hippie who preached peace and married a minority, and,  Jedgar
was jealous, he wanted John all to himself

Well, I've never heard Hoover had a crush on Lennon, but you never know.  The first time pop music become overtly political was during the 1960s when the Civil Rights strife and the Vietnam conflict were both reaching a crescendo.  When John Lennon spoke, young people listened, and what Lennon had to say made a hell of a lot more sense than the rubbish proffered by corporate/government controlled news media.  Then again, the Right hated the New York Times and Walter Cronkite too.  What really made the counterculture so threatening was not hippie fatigues and raunchy behavior, but the idea that there was another way of thinking and living contrary to the established social order.
Unfortunately, the hippies were only human.  They destroyed much of their political potency with hedonism and drugs.  They had to come to terms with how desierable it really is to be selfish and materialistic.  The suburban values they condemned their parents for were values they had as well.  Thus the yuppies were born....

Written By: danootaandme on 01/23/06 at 6:19 am

Well, I've never heard Hoover had a crush on Lennon, but you never know. 

Who could not want John?  (of course I am looking through the eyes of love)  ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/29/06 at 10:54 am

I wonder if the NSA or the FBI would investigate a band like Rage Against The Machine..they do have views that go against everything the Republican Party and Christian Coalition stand for!

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/29/06 at 12:52 pm

I have no problem with court supervised searches of any kind.  If a judge issues a warrent, the snoops have shown probable cause (or in the case of the FISA court they will within 72 hours).  Its the unsupervised spying that disturbs me.  In the case of COINTELPRO they could easilly have gotten warrants to snoop on mafia bosses, the klan, the SLA etc, but what judge would issue a warrant to snoop on John and Yoko unless it was to local cops looking for a high profile drug bust.  The whole business smells like 1984.

Written By: YWN on 01/30/06 at 8:58 am

I wonder if the NSA or the FBI would investigate a band like Rage Against The Machine..they do have views that go against everything the Republican Party and Christian Coalition stand for!

...not to mention sucky music, but I guess that would mean spying on the Backstreet Boys as well.

Written By: La Roche on 01/30/06 at 9:45 am

I have no problem with court supervised searches of any kind.  If a judge issues a warrent, the snoops have shown probable cause (or in the case of the FISA court they will within 72 hours).  Its the unsupervised spying that disturbs me.  In the case of COINTELPRO they could easilly have gotten warrants to snoop on mafia bosses, the klan, the SLA etc, but what judge would issue a warrant to snoop on John and Yoko unless it was to local cops looking for a high profile drug bust.  The whole business smells like 1984.

Exactly! That's the problem. It really isn't difficult to set up a legal search. If there is any sort of need then a Judge will almost certianly issue a warrant.
Of course, you all realise that by taking an argumentative stance against this, we are all under supervision now.

Right, everybody, on the count of three, drop your pants for the satallite  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/30/06 at 11:37 am

Exactly! That's the problem. It really isn't difficult to set up a legal search. If there is any sort of need then a Judge will almost certianly issue a warrant.
Of course, you all realise that by taking an argumentative stance against this, we are all under supervision now.

Right, everybody, on the count of three, drop your pants for the satallite  ;D

No big deal for me.  I already have an FBI file because of my dissertation research in Chile (1971-72) and my anti war acxtivities.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/06 at 1:11 pm

No big deal for me.  I already have an FBI file because of my dissertation research in Chile (1971-72) and my anti war acxtivities.

I have one, too even though I'm not too sure what is in it but I know they have my fingerprints. And for all of you are wondering-it is because at one point, I used to have a Top Secret Clearence.

I could tell ya a bunch of stuff but then I would have to kill ya.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Skippy on 02/01/06 at 2:39 am

I have one, too even though I'm not too sure what is in it but I know they have my fingerprints. And for all of you are wondering-it is because at one point, I used to have a Top Secret Clearence.

I could tell ya a bunch of stuff but then I would have to kill ya.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

You too?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Mine was in the........shhh, it's a secret.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  How many background checks did you have to go through?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/06 at 4:33 pm

You too?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Mine was in the........shhh, it's a secret.  ;D ;D ;D ;D  How many background checks did you have to go through?

I have no idea. There were a few. And all that d@mn paperwork to fill out.  ::)

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 02/01/06 at 6:06 pm

I have one because I used to babysit for a guy who was selling illegal satellite boxes that he imported from China or somewhere over there....they also know about the guy I turned in for offering to "sell" me pot using "unconventional" methods ::)

I'll bet i have one.. 'cus ya know.. i once purchased some French cheese.

I'm obviously a terrorist  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/06 at 6:08 pm

I'll bet i have one.. 'cus ya know.. i once purchased some French cheese.

I'm obviously a terrorist  ;D

Yeah, you can do a lot of damage with that French cheese.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: La Roche on 02/01/06 at 6:09 pm

God knows what i could do with a Falafel  ;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/07/06 at 1:49 am

...not to mention sucky music, but I guess that would mean spying on the Backstreet Boys as well.
Yes, RATM might 'suck' musically, but their message is one that probably ANGERS the right-wing Bush League that is now in power...and I'd absolutely love to see Bush the Second listen to a song like 'Bulls On Parade' or 'Killing in the Name Of'...because Bush II does not like the truth about the 'little guy'...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/06 at 12:00 pm

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Clinton (Bill OR Hill) was President and doing this illegal wiretapping, the Republicans would be bellyaching about "abuse of executive power"!

Written By: YWN on 02/08/06 at 9:51 am

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Clinton (Bill OR Hill) was President and doing this illegal wiretapping, the Republicans would be bellyaching about "abuse of executive power"!

Probably...and there'd be a load of Democrats defending him.  It's partisanship, look out for the guys with the same team colors as you.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/10/06 at 12:31 am

I wonder whether the NSA would investigate me if I ever became a member of the Eastern Service Workers Association...they're supposedly a left-wing group..or maybe if I bought a copy of 'The Anarchist Cookbook'?

Written By: La Roche on 02/10/06 at 12:50 pm

or maybe if I bought a copy of 'The Anarchist Cookbook'?

Way ahead of you.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/06 at 2:58 pm

Probably...and there'd be a load of Democrats defending him.  It's partisanship, look out for the guys with the same team colors as you.

Even Joe Lieberman?
???

Cat

Damage?  Don't you mean "fromage"?

Written By: YWN on 02/11/06 at 3:02 pm

Even Joe Lieberman?
???

Joe Lieberman doesn't play like that, the same way not literally all Republicans are supporting our current president.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/06 at 3:07 pm

Joe Lieberman doesn't play like that, the same way not literally all Republicans are supporting our current president.

No true "conservative" would support our current president.  Heck, nobody with an ounce of common sense and sanity would support our current president.  The only reason there is not MUCH MORE outcry is the Right STILL values tax cuts for the rich above civil liberties and the constitutions!

Written By: YWN on 02/11/06 at 3:16 pm

No true "conservative" would support our current president.  Heck, nobody with an ounce of common sense and sanity would support our current president.  The only reason there is not MUCH MORE outcry is the Right STILL values tax cuts for the rich above civil liberties and the constitutions!

I think most of his supporters just don't know what's going on.  I mean, do you really think the dirty pickup truck with the WWJD sticker adjacent to the Dubya sticker is part of a financially elite group trying to undermine the lower classes?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/06 at 6:23 pm

I think most of his supporters just don't know what's going on.  I mean, do you really think the dirty pickup truck with the WWJD sticker adjacent to the Dubya sticker is part of a financially elite group trying to undermine the lower classes?

Probably a member of the lower classes who has been undermined!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/11/06 at 6:35 pm

Too bad Dumbya is not gonna get in major trouble for this...if he did, though, he'd pull a Nixon and resign from office rather than face the music!

Written By: YWN on 02/11/06 at 6:58 pm

Probably a member of the lower classes who has been undermined!

So what is it exactly?  I don't claim to know where the majority of the Bush supporters come from, but do you believe they're mostly corporate cronies/elite wealthy people or ignorant victims who have been duped?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/06 at 1:03 pm

So what is it exactly?  I don't claim to know where the majority of the Bush supporters come from, but do you believe they're mostly corporate cronies/elite wealthy people or ignorant victims who have been duped?

The latter, mon frere, the Bushies play on their fears like a two dollar fiddle, AND the Republican strategy is to fulminate bigotry and resentment of "elites."  An elitist is anybody who:
a. Has lots of money but isn't right-wing.
b. reads books other than books published by Regnery.

I'm not a Hillary Clinton fan, but she was right this week when she said the only card Bush has left to play is the FEAR card.  The only hope the Republicans have of retaining power in the next two elections is war and the rumor of war.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/12/06 at 3:18 pm

Of course the Republicans are gonna play the fear card in 2008...they'll do anything to keep their own elitist snobs in power!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/06 at 4:25 pm

Of course the Republicans are gonna play the fear card in 2008...they'll do anything to keep their own elitist snobs in power!

The only thing we have to fear is...the Republican Party!

Written By: Tia on 02/12/06 at 4:37 pm

i always thought there was something shambolic about all this genuflecting over bird flu. it reminds me of the whole shark attack frenzy that was going on right before 9/11.

the whole color-coded alert bit was a pretty obvious attempt to scare people. they didn't even tell you what to do! they'd just go, ope, it's orange alert now. time to pee your pants.

Check for new replies or respond here...