» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Thought police alive and well in England

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/24/05 at 8:36 am

Police tell Christian couple view on gays 'close to hate crime'
The Times
By: David Sanderson
12/22/2005

POLICE questioned a retired couple for 80 minutes about their “homophobic” views after they asked their local council if they could display their Christian literature next to gay rights leaflets, it was reported last night.

Joe and Helen Roberts said that police officers warned them that their actions “were close to a hate crime” after they complained to Wyre Borough Council about its gay rights policies.

The couple claimed that the police told them they were “walking on eggshells”.

Mr Roberts, from Fleetwood, Lancashire, said he had been offended because of the council’s distribution of the gay rights leaflets and its promotion of its theatre as a venue for civil partnership ceremonies.

He said he complained to Paul Deacon, the council officer responsible for Wyre’s part in the Navajo Charter Mark campaign being run by several local authorities to offer assistance to gay and lesbian people.

Mr Roberts, 73, told the Daily Mail: “I told him I was offended. I asked him if I could put Christian literature on display alongside the gay material. He said I couldn’t because it would offend gay people.

“I said we had no objection to gay people, but we thought that homosexual practice was wrong and we were offended by the gay culture which the council is promoting.

“They warned me that being discriminatory and homophobic is in line with hate crime. The phrase they used was that we were ‘walking on eggshells’. I asked the officer, if I phoned the police with a complaint that the council were discriminating against Christians would he go to interview them?”

Lancashire police said its visit to the Robertses’ family home was a matter of routine after a complaint from the council. A spokesman added: “Words of suitable advice were given and we will not be taking any further action.”

Joan Humble, the Labour MP for Blackpool North and Fleetwood, said the council’s decision to call the police was heavy handed.

She added: “Navajo is a very good project to offer support to gay people. But they should have replied to Mr and Mrs Roberts to explain their policy and allay their fears about the nature of the literature.”

A council spokesman said the couple had “displayed potentially homophobic attitudes”.

He added: “The council referred this matter to the police for further investigation with the intention of challenging attitudes and educating and raising awareness of the implications of homophobic behaviour.”

This month a Metropolitan Police officer telephoned the author Lynette Burrows at her home in Cambridge after she took part in a BBC Radio 5 Live programme. He told her that her broadcast view that gay couples were not good adoptive parents for boys had been reported and recorded as a homophobic incident.

Link

--As long as there are no death threats, there would be zero problem with this in the United States.

Subject: Re: Thought police alive and well in England

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/05 at 10:15 am

::)

This still comes as a surprise to many, but many gay people are actually Christians, too.  I would
say the police were probably sensible people who viewed the content of the pamphet the Roberts
wanted to place and found serious issues.  I would guess that the pamhlet was inflammatory.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/24/05 at 7:49 pm

Homosexuality was shunned for centuries by decent Christian society.  No surprise to me the Christian activists don't like a taste of their own medicine.  However, two wrongs don't make a right. The Christian leaflets shouldn't be a problem unless they were the gay-bashing kind.  You know, "Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve."
::)

Written By: AFTERSHOCK on 12/28/05 at 3:58 pm

I live by a very simple rule: I don't care what you believe in, nor do I care who (or what) you like to have sex with, just don't try to convince me of the righteousness fo your actions or push me to get involved if I express no interest - and I, in turn, will do the same for you.

Basically, it's more or less an extemporation of that ol' fashioned Golden rule.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/29/05 at 5:22 am

....nor do I care who (or what) you like to have sex with....

What?  So you think it's okay for people to legally have sex with animals like in the states of Washington and Florida (the only two that allow that.)

just don't try to convince me of the righteousness fo your actions or push me to get involved if I express no interest - and I, in turn, will do the same for you.

This seems hypocritical.  Isn't saying that "don't push this on me and I won't push this on you" basically a righteous view in itself?  Don't some feel that this is the only right view?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/05 at 11:32 am

What?

Written By: UKVisitor on 01/05/06 at 12:50 am

If it was illegal to have sex with animals in Washington State then many politicians and lobbyists would be shunned and left celibate by the mainly homo-sapien species dominant in the state  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...