» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Bush: Constitution "just a g*dd*mned piece of paper"

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/28/05 at 11:22 am

(I don't claim to know anything about the writer of this article, nor about the credibility of the story, but if it's true we're in for even more trouble than we realize:)

Bush on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper'
By DOUG THOMPSON
Dec 9, 2005, 07:53

Last month, Republican Congressional leaders filed into the Oval Office to meet with President George W. Bush and talk about renewing the controversial USA Patriot Act.

Several provisions of the act, passed in the shell shocked period immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, caused enough anger that liberal groups like the American Civil Liberties Union had joined forces with prominent conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Bob Barr to oppose renewal.

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the act could further alienate conservatives still mad at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

Subject: Re: Bush: Constitution "just a g*dd*mned piece of paper"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/05 at 12:51 pm

It is truly scary. Here are a few quotes from Bush which makes me think that the above article is valid.

"There ought to be limits to freedom." May 21, 1999

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier -just so long I'm the dictator." December 18, 2000

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/28/05 at 1:17 pm

While Bush's known actions seem to validate the sentiment expressed, I doubt it's real.

The guy who wrote this article has a long history of axe griding.  Not a reputable source.

Written By: Harmonica on 12/28/05 at 1:44 pm

It is truly scary. Here are a few quotes from Bush which makes me think that the above article is valid.

"There ought to be limits to freedom." May 21, 1999

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier -just so long I'm the dictator." December 18, 2000

Cat

"There ought to be limits to freedom."  You know someone else said that a long time ago, and there were limits put on the freedoms we enjoy. Looks like some people believe that with greater freedom comes greater responsibility.  Ah shucks. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/05 at 1:47 pm

"There ought to be limits to freedom."  You know someone else said that a long time ago, and there were limits put on the freedoms we enjoy. Looks like some people believe that with greater freedom comes greater responsibility.  Ah shucks. 

HUH?  ???

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/28/05 at 4:13 pm

Based on his performance, renditions, arrests without charges (Padilla), warrentless spying, it is all to plausible.

Written By: Harmonica on 12/29/05 at 3:28 am

HUH?

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/05 at 5:19 am

For an intelligent individual, the obvious sure did fly over your head.

Sarcasm?!  Your post is understandable, but ambiguous.  Please clarify to whom you are
referencing("someone else") in order to clarify your intent behind the post.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/05 at 11:21 am

The article sounds like something from The Onion to me.  I can only assume it's satire.  First of all, it is acurate as satire for the way the Bush Administration treats the Constitution in their actions.  In rhetoric, Bush and his "Originalists," "Strict Constructionists," and "Textualists" pay lip service to the Constitution as some sort of junior Biblical fundamentalism.  As Christian Fundamentalists only take the Bible literally when it's convenient, the "Originalists" push only for the Constitution when it comest to gun rights, property rights, and executive-branch privileges.

I can conceive of a piqued Dubya spitting these words out.  He's not very bright, he is of low character, and doesn't have much rhetorical command.  This much he has proven over the past six years in the national limelight.  But I doubt he really did say these things.

Written By: IanWinn on 12/29/05 at 12:29 pm

I only wish that it was from the Onion.  Here's the original article with the link.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7779.shtml

Bush on the Constitution: 'It's just a goddamned piece of paper'
By DOUG THOMPSON
Dec 9, 2005, 07:53

Last month, Republican Congressional leaders filed into the Oval Office to meet with President George W. Bush and talk about renewing the controversial USA Patriot Act.

Several provisions of the act, passed in the shell shocked period immediately following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, caused enough anger that liberal groups like the American Civil Liberties Union had joined forces with prominent conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Bob Barr to oppose renewal.

GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the act could further alienate conservatives still mad at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 12/29/05 at 1:14 pm

I only wish that it was from the Onion.

Written By: Harmonica on 12/29/05 at 4:21 pm

Sarcasm?!

Written By: IanWinn on 12/29/05 at 6:20 pm

It's CapitolHillBlue for Christ's sake.  Every week to a month they write another article with another unnamed source saying Bush or somebody said something.  And CapitolHillBlue always throws in a ton of curse words as well.

Second, tell me how the war was illegal.  I don't think you mean by the U.N. standard.  The U.N. is a wasted organization.  So what is it?

The subject is NOT the curse words; it the contempt that this particular president shows for the Constitution and how it clashes with his oath to uphold, support, and defend it.  Then again, most of the presidents in our history have managed to violate it to one degree or another.  The truly blatant attacks, though, have come from this administration, especially with his undeclared war upon Afghanistan and Iraq (wars that he admitted were based on "faulty intelligence"), and the passing of the Patriot Act (a bill that none of the Congress-critters had read).

As for the war being illegal, as I stated above, Duh-bya and his cronies came out and admitted a month ago that their decision to invade Afghanistan AND Iraq was based upon "faulty intelligence".  That phrase is fancy rhetoric for the simple word, "LIE", or "UNTRUTH".  If this administration TRULY AND HONESTLY made a mistake in their attack on Afghanistan and Iraq, then they MUST do the honorable thing and withdraw the troops.  You will say that there will be anarchy and chaos; that may be, so I say let Duh-bya and his cronies pay for the restoration OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKETS; no access to taxpayer monies for them.  It's the rules that WE have to live with, it should be the rules that THEY have to live with.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/05 at 7:31 pm

The subject is NOT the curse words; it the contempt that this particular president shows for the Constitution and how it clashes with his oath to uphold, support, and defend it.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/31/05 at 7:27 pm

The idea that Congress would cede the decision to go to war to the executive branch alone would have horrified our Founding Fathers. Consolidation of power in the executive branch doesn't sound very "originalist" to me. 
It just shows you what a dumba** President we have until 2008!
I wonder what kind of grades George W. got in U.S. History, with him saying the Constitution is' just a godd*mned piece of paper'....

Written By: YWN on 12/31/05 at 10:27 pm

I wonder what kind of grades George W. got in U.S. History, with him saying the Constitution is' just a godd*mned piece of paper'....

I trust you haven't automatically assumed that this article is reliable.

Now, I'm certainly not a fan of Bush myself, but I doubt he would say something like that out loud.  In the back of his mind, that's probably more or less his thoughts on the Constitution, but he's not actually going to say anything like that that could seriously hurt his reputation, what with being a "Constitutionalist" and such.

Written By: IanWinn on 01/01/06 at 2:37 am

There's more articles out there to back this one up.  Google 'em, and you'll find 'em.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/01/06 at 11:36 am

There's more articles out there to back this one up.  Google 'em, and you'll find 'em.

Are they all as reputable as Capital Blue?  Joe Bob's Blog doesn't count as a news source when it's just linking back to the Capital Blue Meanies...  I hate Bush Jr. for everything he's done in office, and even I have a hard time believing this one.

Written By: nally on 01/01/06 at 11:41 am

I hate Bush Jr. for everything he's done in office, and even I have a hard time believing this one.

As do I. ::)

Written By: IanWinn on 01/01/06 at 12:06 pm

Well, that's what God gives you a brain for, to reason and discover what's true and what's not.  Given the actions of Duh-bya, I believe that such a thing did happen.

Others here are disinclined to believe me.  Some do so because they are ankle-grabbers for the Replublican party.  Others do so out of honest skepticism.  The ankle-grabbers will not believe it because of their programming.  The honest skeptics will seek out the truth.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/01/06 at 2:16 pm

I'd love to see articles of impeachment present, but does anyone hink they would have a snowball chance in he11 of passing given the repugs' majority in the House?  We need to wait until after next Nov. hopefully.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 01/01/06 at 4:26 pm

I'd love to see articles of impeachment present, but does anyone hink they would have a snowball chance in he11 of passing given the repugs' majority in the House?  We need to wait until after next Nov. hopefully.

You got a better chance of winning the lottery and impeaching the president now than you the democrats do of taking the house in 2006.  Over 97% of incumbents win reelection.  It's possible down the road with consecutive midtern and general wins, but the democrats aren't going to regain that many seats in one election.  The senate is a different story though.

Some do so because they are ankle-grabbers for the Replublican party.

I assume that means me, though I could be wrong.  I opposed CAFTA, Bush's immigration policy, his massive spending binge, his nomination of Harriet Miers, he support (though probably phony) for the AWB, his recent wiretappings, among other scattered things.  I'd be the most dissenting "ankle-grabber" there is.

The honest skeptics will seek out the truth.

You like Michael Savage too, don't you?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/01/06 at 6:54 pm

People just need to face the fact we have a freakin' idiot in the Oval Office!

And we're stuck with him until 2008....

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 01/01/06 at 7:52 pm

rhat's right I drank bush's kool-aid and thought he be a good president but I was wrong scandel after scandel he gets away wth is enron, haliburton,he ingore the threats before 9/11 happpend and I was a republican now a democrat (since 2004) WE STUCK WTH HIM UNTIL 2009

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/06 at 7:58 pm

You like Michael Savage too, don't you?

Michael Savage needs an in-studio Valium drip.
:D

Written By: YWN on 01/02/06 at 10:21 am

So...do you think this article is true?

See, I think anybody who would believe this article, especially seeing as it has questionable sources, is too biased.  No, I'm not a Bush fan, but I don't automatically accept any allegation that makes him look bad.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/02/06 at 8:53 pm

I assume that means me, though I could be wrong.  I opposed CAFTA, Bush's immigration policy, his massive spending binge, his nomination of Harriet Miers, he support (though probably phony) for the AWB, his recent wiretappings, among other scattered things.  I'd be the most dissenting "ankle-grabber" there is.
What's the AWB? The Average White Band?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/02/06 at 9:04 pm

I despise Bush, but don't people think a bit too much of the Constitution anyways?  I mean, it has great ideas and should be followed but it's not the word of God or anything.  It's not infallible.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/02/06 at 11:41 pm

If the Constitution is indeed just a "g*dd*m piece of paper," we may be stuck with President Bush for the rest of Mr. Bush's natural life.  Why not take some White-Out to the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the rest of the amendments.  The neo-cons shall simply blot out the bits they don't like and replace them with articles more amenable to a military-corporatist dicatorship.
Now, I would never compare Bush to Hitler.  Hitler had a moustache.  Oh, and one more thing, Hitler was elected to the chancellorship by the people of Germany fair and square in 1933.  So you've got two key differences...
:o

Written By: deadrockstar on 01/03/06 at 1:41 am

If the Constitution is indeed just a "g*dd*m piece of paper," we may be stuck with President Bush for the rest of Mr. Bush's natural life.  Why not take some White-Out to the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the rest of the amendments.  The neo-cons shall simply blot out the bits they don't like and replace them with articles more amenable to a military-corporatist dicatorship.
Now, I would never compare Bush to Hitler.  Hitler had a moustache.  Oh, and one more thing, Hitler was elected to the chancellorship by the people of Germany fair and square in 1933.  So you've got two key differences...

Yes, and Hitler actually served in the war of his youth. There is another difference..

I did not go there...oh wait, yeah I did.  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/03/06 at 1:58 am

I love you man!  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/03/06 at 3:15 am

Sure the piece's of paper it is printed on are just g*dd*mned pieces of paper, but it's what the words are saying that is what's important.  ::)

It's come to a stage that whenever this moron opens his mouth, you know it's going to be something rather stupid.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/03/06 at 4:15 am

I love you man!  ;D

Hey, I love you too, Donnie! Rock on!
;)

Sure the piece's of paper it is printed on are just g*dd*mned pieces of paper, but it's what the words are saying that is what's important.  ::)

It's come to a stage that whenever this moron opens his mouth, you know it's going to be something rather stupid.  ::)

It's been that way from the start.  His own mama knows he's a dummy, but she believes in him, and made sure her boy got to go as far as a person can go, all the way to the Presidency.  It's like a sick and evil version of Forrest Gump!  God help us, 'coz, man, we're outta luck!
:P

Written By: witchain on 01/03/06 at 6:42 am

In the back of his mind, that's probably more or less his thoughts on the Constitution, but he's not actually going to say anything like that that could seriously hurt his reputation...

He obviously isn't too concerned with his reputation, and it really doesn't matter whether he spoke the words or not. His actions betray him...

Check for new replies or respond here...